• Published 9th Oct 2013
  • 3,417 Views, 196 Comments

Equestria Noir Season 2 Case 6 "Mirror Mirror" - Jacoboby1



Twilight mysteriously doesn't come back from the human world. Private ventures in to find out why. He suddenly finds himself in a strange world. Will he be able to find Twilight and come home? Or, will he want to stay in this world?

  • ...
13
 196
 3,417

Chapter 3 "Home"

Chapter 3

“Home”

Perspective: Private Eye

The bell rang again and the students filed out of the cafeteria. Twilight and I were walking side by side, having just left the whole Sunset incident behind. She didn’t recognize me, that was at least a good start. If Sunset didn’t know who I was, then that will make it easier for me to blend in long enough to figure things out.

Twilight looked at me as we walked down the hall, “Sorry about Sunset, she’s never been anybody’s favorite person,” She said with a sigh.

“It’s alright, I know how to deal with bullies like her. Don’t let them get an edge against you,” I said sagely.

“She even tried to get my friends to split apart.” She shook her head and said, “All it took for them was to stop accusing and just talk to one another.”

I smiled at her and said, “Like I said, you’re the glue that holds them together. They started opening up because you held a mirror up to them. They realized how stupid they were acting and the wounds started to heal.” We both stopped at this point to talk.

Twilight laughed a little and said, “You ever consider writing some of those self help books?”

“Maybe, after I’m done being a detective,” I said with a smile.

“Thanks anyways, Private,” She replied.

“Nah, thanks for giving me the warm welcome,” I said, and I put a hand on her head affectionately.

She blushed brightly, looked down at her shoes again. “Oh well, I mean, anything for a friend.”

I blushed brightly myself and removed my hand. I looked at her and said, “Uh, you’d better get to class. Wouldn’t want to get in trouble for holding you up.”

Twilight gazed at me for a moment. She seemed, lost for a minute before she blinked and said, “Right, class, I’ll see you later!” She then took off down the hall and all the other students were filing into classrooms.

I caught a smell with my nose and looked at my hand. Some of Twi’s perfume?

I took a sniff of it and said blissfully, “Lilacs…”

I shook my head and rubbed my hand on my trench coat to try and hide the scent. Don’t want anybody to freak out if they saw a guy sniffing his own hand like it was a drug.

Then, I realized I was standing by myself in the hallway. I had no classes to attend today, I didn’t want to get caught by Vice Principal Luna, so I had to find something to occupy myself.

I looked up and saw a sign pointing to a hallway down my right.

Library.

That’s a start.

___________________________________________________

The library was situated under the big glass dome. It was a large circular room, eerily resembling another library I was quite familiar with, it being centered around a table with a stylized horse’s head.

This was, apparently, the media hub. The technology, here, seems to be quite a bit more advanced than back home. The televisions are much thinner, and attached to keyboards, and weird little widgets with buttons on. What are those things, anyway? There were shelves and shelves of books, tables where people could sit and read, and it was two stories.
The upper level held more bookshelves, and that dome is more fantastic, from the inside. The staircases leading to the second level had elegantly scrolled banisters painted or cast in a tan color. There was a quiet serenity to the place. You feel like you could get stuff done, here.

I was standing there, taking in the scenery when I felt somebody bump into me from behind. I turned and my silver eyes went a little wide.

Applebloom…

She didn’t look like she was eleven like she does back home. She looks anywhere between twelve and fourteen if I had to make a rough guess. Then again I don’t know how humans look when they age exactly.

She had yellow skin, orange eyes, and long red hair with a bow on top of her head. She was wearing a green shirt, blue jeans and yellow boots. She was sitting on the floor, I must’ve knocked her over. A bunch of books were strewn all around her as she rubbed her head.

“Sorry mister,” Applebloom said. “Ah was jus’ in a hurry an-” She stopped talking once she looked up at me. A thin line of pink came over her face.

Heh, looks like the crush stands. Wait till I tell AJ.

“You alright Applebloom?” I asked, extending a hand to help her up.

She got to her feet, dusted herself off and said, “Ah’m fine, mister, ah...” She blinked and looked at me. “How didja know mah name?”

“Uh,” I said, smiling nervously. “I met your sister earlier. Told me she had a little sister that’s named Applebloom. I saw the resemblance and made the connection.”

Applebloom blushed and I thought I heard her mumble as she shuffled her feet, “Smart and handsome too…”

“What was that?” I asked.

“Nuthin!” She shouted, and she began to gather up her books. “What’s yer name anyways?”

I helped her pick up some of her books. A lot of them were about comedy believe it or not. I put a book into her hand and said, “Private, I’m the new guy around here.”

“Nice ta meetcha” Applebloom said with a smile.

“Applebloom!” I heard a familiar, rather squeaky, voice yell.

I turned and my eyes went wide again.

There stood Sweetiebelle, in her human form. White skin, pink and lavender hair with a pink hair band. She was wearing a pink cardigan, over a two-toned pink striped shirt, black belt, yellow skirt, and a pair watermelon-colored boots, with yellow belts on them.

Beside her was Scootaloo, also a human. She had orange skin, short violet hair and purple eyes as well. She was wearing a black hoodie with turquoise trim, olive green cargo shorts, and a pair of black boots, with turquoise trim at the top.

Okay, first it was just uncanny, now it’s just weird seeing everybody I know.

“Who’s this guy?” Scootaloo asked Applebloom.

“This ‘ere’s Private, he’s that transfer student mah sister was sayin’ was comin’ today,” Applebloom replied.

“It didn’t take you long to get friendly with him huh Applebloom?” Scootaloo said with a smirk, Sweetie Belle giggled a little.

“What’cha talkin bout Scoots!?” Applebloom yelled at her friend.

“Nothin.” Scootaloo said with a laugh.

“Come on you guys,” Sweetie Belle interjected, “I just finished uploading the video to Maretube! Let’s check out the comments!”

Marewhatnow? Are you sure that’s a place little girls should go?

The three ran towards one of the small tvs sitting on the tables. Sweetie sat at the helm and began typing and moving about a mouse like device next to the keyboard. This was fascinating. I’ve never seen anything so advanced in my life. Raiden’s suit is a close contender, but that’s not available for just anybody to use.

Scootaloo gave me a look as I stared at it, “What? You never seen a computer before?”

“Ya do look kind of bewildered Private,” Applebloom commented.

“Sorry,” I said. “I’ve just never seen one before.”

“Where do you live?” Scootaloo asked. “Out in the boonies?”

“Something like that.” I said with a sigh.

“It’s real simple once ya get down to it.” Sweetie Belle said.

“We’ll show ya!” Applebloom said, “Ah figured it out and Ah live on a farm.”

With that I received a crash course in how to operate a “Computer”. It was bewildering at first, every time I clicked something with that mouse the screen would change. It’s amazing, and then they showed me the internet.

Turns out humans have figured out a way to connect a bunch of different computers all into one network of waves, wires, and several who knows what else… Kind of like a really large spider’s web. I wouldn’t think such a thing was possible before I came here. Heh, maybe Lyra was right to go human hunting all these years, just look what they can do.

The girls left me to my own devices once they showed me that Maretube was a place that people uploaded videos. They were a little disappointed that the comments on their video weren’t what they hoped for. But in true CMC fashion, they just moved on to the next project.

Me? I was dealing with the wonderful machine that is Google.

Humans have the ability to look up information in a matter of seconds. I could look up recipes, information about a historical person, or even a place where you can play games. If I had this back in Equestria, I imagine my cases would take only a quarter of the time to complete.

But, I was on a mission. A large part of me wondered why Sunset was free to walk around school. If Spike’s tale is anything to go on, I imagine she’d at least get suspended or expelled for trying to turn the student body into zombies. So, I decided to do a little digging.

I typed in Sunset Shimmer.

I got a few images that showed Sunset winning various trophies and rewards for the school. She was on her way to become Valedictorian before Twilight came in. But not a single website I visited made mention of what happened at the school. No demon sightings, no magic, nothing.

I typed in Twilight Sparkle next.

When I did, I was a little shocked.

Hundreds of articles about her. How in only a few short months she’s on the line to become Valedictorian for Canterlot High. Winning several awards, accolades, and even earning a spot on the Student Hall of Academic Excellence, whatever that means.

This was weird, I don’t know of any school that is so willing to reward students. Twilight’s only been here for a while. For that matter, how is it months since she came?

Does time flow differently here? Could a few days here be a couple of seconds in Equestria? But, that doesn’t make any sense, it was barely a second before Twilight was supposed to go through when Spike said he woke up in her bed.

Something is not right here…

“Applebloom, I think you crush is some kind of conspiracy nut,” I heard Scootaloo say as she looked over my shoulder.
“Well, he is dressed like a dahtective ya know,” Applebloom said, standing on the opposite side. “They kinda hafta be conspiracy nuts.”

“What’re you looking up things about Twilight for?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“I uh,” I said, a flush coming to my cheeks.

“Looks like you got competition, Bloom,” Scootaloo said with a laugh.

“Not funny Scoots!” Applebloom yelled, her face as red as her hair.

I blushed a little myself, what’s wrong with me? Every time I think about Twilight it’s like the whole world shuts down around me. Ah damn it there’s a reason why that’s happening. I’m a freaking Teenager for pete’s sake!

I got up from the computer table and said, “Thanks a lot girls, you guys have been a big help.”

“No problem,” Scootaloo said.

The bell rang and the girls tensed.

“Come on girls, we’d better skedaddle befer Miss Cheerilee catches us,” Applebloom said, grabbing her back pack.

“Yeah, last time she took away the speaker,” Sweetie said with a sigh.

All three of them left and I smiled. They were still as lively as they were in Equestria.

I walked outside the library and looked out a nearby window. I saw Rainbow kicking around a soccer ball in a field outside. She was pretty good, granted I have almost zero knowledge of sports so anything looks impressive to me.
I decided since I had nothing better to do, I’d go downstairs and out to the field. I got there and was about to wave to Rainbow.

That….was when I saw him.

He was average height, with darker skin and long black and yellow hair that was messy as all heck. He was wearing a black t-shirt with a lightning bolt shaped musical note on it. He was also wearing a black and yellow lined jacket with the same symbol on the back, blue jeans and a pair of black and yellow sneakers. His eyes looked like a human variation of Neighpanese eyes.

Raiden Bolt….was here…

When he strutted over to Rainbow he had the same cocky smile I knew him by. “Hey babe what’s ki-”

Without warning Rainbow turned and kicked the soccer ball straight into where the sun don’t shine. Raiden keeled over, rolling on the ground and protecting his bits. “Ow,” he groaned.

“You messed with the water heater you jerk!” Rainbow yelled at him, a vein throbbing in her forehead.

Raiden eventually recovered from the low blow and got to his feet. “Yeah, that was funny. Although, I kind of mistimed it. The water got cold before you entered, it was supposed to go cold while you were inside it.”

Rainbow’s face slowly deadpanned as she realized what his intentions were. Finally her magenta eyes showed white hot rage. “YOU PERVERT!”

I was taken aback by this.

“You’re lucky it was just a soccer ball that hit you!” She screamed at him. “I’m tempted to use my boot!”

“Aw come on Rainbow,” Raiden said, smiling his cocky smile. “It was only a prank.”

“Prank?” Rainbow growled and then yelled. “PRANK! At least my pranks have the prankee laughing!”

“Does it count if the prankee looks sexy when she’s mad?” Rainbow was not amused at the comment. Raiden sighed, “Come on babe, I’ll make it up to you.”

“First of all, don’t call me ‘babe’,” Rainbow said, getting within inches of Raiden’s face. “Second of all! What are you going to do about it?”

“How about a date for the Spring Fling,?” Raiden said, smirking. “It’s this weekend you know.”

“In your dreams,” Rainbow said, rolling her eyes.

“Come on Rainbow, I’d think you’d be flattered,” Raiden said, stepping back and holding up his arms. “Most girls would kill to have a chance to date me.”

“Okay, then I don’t have any motive to ask you., Rainbow said, smirking and walking away.

Raiden just realized he got owned and chased after her. “How about I give you backstage passes to one of my concerts?”

“Sorry, I’m an athlete, not a groupie,” Rainbow said, still smirking.

“Geez, what will it take for you to say yes?” Raiden exasperated.

“Why don’t you take any of your fangirls?” Rainbow asked, stopping and looking back.

“Yeah, well none of them are as amazing or sexy as you are,” Raiden said with his smile again.

Rainbow got a thin layer of pink on her cheeks but simply rolled her eyes. “I’m not that easy ya know.”

“Don’t I know it,” Raiden says.

“Hey Ray,” I said, walking over.

“Oh, you’re that transfer student dude I heard about.” Raiden said, extending a hand. “I imagine you must’ve heard of me.”

Huh, Raiden doesn’t know me. Maybe it’s the same thing Twilight went through when she came over for the first time. This is this world’s Raiden. Honestly, I wish there was a bigger difference in terms of personality.

“Raiden, with all due respect,” I said. “You have about as much chance of dating Rainbow as you do scaling the roof of the building and hitting the bell tower.”

Raiden narrowed his eyes. “Challenge accepted.” With that, he zoomed off towards the school building.

Rainbow sighed, “Oh great, now that idiot’s gonna break his neck.”

“Ah, he’ll find a skirt to chase and forget the whole thing,” I said, shaking my head.

“You know him?” Rainbow said, tilting her head.

“I know his type,” I explained.

“Thanks for getting him off me,” Rainbow said, shaking her head. “The guy’s been asking me to be his date ever since we met a few months ago. Guy just won’t quit.”

“Part of me thinks you enjoy being chased around.” I said, with a smirk of my own.

Rainbow turned pink again, and gave a nervous laugh. “Me? Like him chasing me? Oh come on Private really?”

“Look, give him a chance,” I said, putting my hand on her shoulder. “Raiden may be a little irresponsible. But he’s chased after you this long, maybe you should give him a shot.”

“I don’t want him to think I’m easy though,” She said, looking away.

“Don’t tell me the great Rainbow Dash can’t handle a guy like Raiden.” I said, stroking her ego a little.

“Hey!” She yelled. “I can handle a guy like Raiden! You just watch!”

“In fact, I betcha you can’t even get him to stay interested long enough to dance with him at the Spring Fling.” I said, smirking.

“Oh you are on!” Rainbow said. Then she laughed and punched me in the shoulder. “You’re crazy, but you’re not bad for an egghead.”

“Thanks,” I groaned, rubbing my shoulder.

“Well, I got another class to get to,” She said. “I’ll see you around!”

With that, Rainbow took off. I honestly didn’t know why I hooked them up, knowing what happened back home. Yet, here I think I can get a fresh start. Maybe this one will last longer than the other did.

We can only hope I guess….

__________________________________________________________

I spent the remaining hours of school trying to get a feel for how my classes were going to be like. I dreaded the thought I was going to have to take physics again. But I was pretty good at Ponish, or English as they call it here, so maybe this won’t be so bad after all.

Tomorrow though, I’d better start thinking about what to do. I had to blend in so as not to arouse suspicion from Shimmer.

I found Twilight’s locker again to see her packing up for the day. Upon seeing me she smiled and waved, “Hey Private, how was your first day?” She asked.

“Eventful,” I replied smiling a little. “Bet you’re glad school is over huh?”

“I like school.” Twilight said. “Gives me plenty of things to learn and friends to meet.”

She doesn’t need much to be happy does she? Gosh I love her…

“So uh, you taking your car home?” She asked.

“Uh,” I think I saw a few ads for a “car” while I was surfing the web. Apparently it’s a carriage that moves by itself. Oftentimes through mountain roads if the ads are anything to go on. “No, I was planning on walking,” I said finally.

“Oh, really? I don’t have a car yet either, so I walk to school. Good exercise for me and Spike.” She said, Spike sticking his head out of her bag and giving me a… I guess you would call it a paw up.

“Actually,” I said reaching into my pockets and pulled out the address, “could you point me in the direction of this address? It’s my new house and I don’t wanna get lost.” I said, showing it to her.

Twilight gave it a look, and then blinked. “That’s not far from my house.” She said. “I’ll take you there.”

“Thanks Twi, you’re amazing.” I said.

“Just ya know,” She said, blushing and twirling a strand of her hair in her fingers. “Doing what I can for a friend.”
Friend huh…

____________________________________________________

Twilight and I walked the streets of the human city towards the housing areas. Along the way we talked about a lot of things. I avoided direct questions about what my old school was like, what my family was like, and anything that I couldn’t make up without her finding a discrepancy on Google.

I told her who I was, what books I liked to read, hobbies, and the fact I wanted to be a detective when I got out of college.

“To be honest,” she said as we walked. “I don’t really know what I wanna be when I grow up.”

“Well, you’re plenty smart,” I said. “Maybe you could be a professor.”

“You really think I could?” She asked, beaming at me a little.

“Also you can get a lot of people behind you, maybe politics?” I suggested.

“I doubt that,” Twilight said with a laugh. “I’m not that good of a leader.”

“Don’t sell yourself short, Twi,” I said.

“You say that a lot you know,” Twilight said, looking at me.

“I’m only trying to help a friend,” I said, smiling shyly.

She smiled shyly in turn, and then looked down at the address. “Okay, your house should be around this corner.”

“Okay, this should be my ho-” I stopped as we looked up at it.

I didn’t have a house. I had...a mansion.

I lived in a mansion for most of my childhood, back before Mom died. This mansion was about the same size as that one. It wasn’t too large or imposing, in fact, it looked to be about the most homey you can make a mansion and it still be actually considered a mansion. It didn’t even have a gate or a fence.

“Wow,” Twilight said, her jaw hanging open.

“I uh,” I said, rubbing my head, “failed to mention I come from a well-off family.”

Twilight closed her mouth and simply smiled at me. “I’m just glad you aren’t a total snob like Blueblood. He thinks just because he’s the Mayor’s son he can get away with murder at school,” She said.

Somehow, I totally saw that coming.

I smiled and said, “Well, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Yeah,” She said, shuffling her feet.

“You uh,” I said, blushing, “wanna walk to school together?”

She looked at me for a while. I could tell by the way her violet eyes looked at me she was pondering it. Finally, she nodded and said, “Yeah, I’d like that.”

“Great!” I said, my voice nearly cracking as I tried to contain my excitement.

Damn you puberty!

Twilight giggled and waved as she said, “I’ll see you then!” With that, she walked down the street, a slight skip in her step.

I couldn’t help but get this goofy grin on my face. Good Faust I’m totally a teenager!

I shook my head and pulled on the door handle. Not locked, I’m guessing somebody’s home.

I walked inside the foyer and saw everything was almost exactly how it was back in Equestria. Granted, everything was to human scale and some of the paintings on the walls showcased humans instead of ponies. The paintings were more of Dad’s hobby than mine. He liked collecting art on occasion.

But, where was he? Who was I living with?

“Hello!” I yelled. “Anybody home?”

“I’m in the living room!” I heard...a very familiar voice yell.

I practically ran towards a nearby door and pushed it open. Inside was a simple living room, four couches, a couple plush chairs and several decorations adorning the walls. But, the most important thing in the room...was the boy sitting on a couch reading a comic book.

He looked to be the same age as the CMC, long electric blue hair, blue skin, bright energetic electric blue eyes, this was Tailspin, only human. He was wearing a dark blue jacket, a light blue shirt with an open book on it, a pair of cargo shorts and blue sneakers on his feet.

He looked up at me as I entered. “Hey, bro, heard you went to check out that school today,” He said.

I blinked, trying to comprehend the fact my little brother was a human.

“You okay, bro?” He asked. “You look like you saw a ghost.”

“Tailspin?” words finally came out of my mouth.

“Yeah, that’s me, your cute and lovable little brother.” He said with a laugh.

Oh yeah, this was Tailspin.

I smirked. “Don’t be so coy Tailspin, you’ll be at school too ya know.” I said.

“Ah, well, maybe it’ll be fun to meet kids.” Tailspin said. “You make any friends today?”

“A few.” I said.

“Any girlfriends?” He said, his eyes drooping and a smirk coming to his face.

“It’s not like that!” I yelled.

He rolled up his comic book and pointed it at me. “Ah ha! There is a girl!”

“Shut up you twerp!” I yelled, running over towards him.

With a couple of laughs, we did what all brothers do. We wrestled on the couch like a pair of timberwolves fighting over meat.

I tried not to, but during the scuffle Tailspin suddenly fell down onto the floor. I tensed up and went over to him. “Tailspin I’m so sorry!” I said frantically as I grabbed his arm. “Let me help you!”

“Bro I’m okay,” Tailspin said...and then…

He got to his feet….he...stood….

Tailspin...was standing in front of me….he could…

I felt something wet hit my cheeks as I looked at him.

“Bro? You okay?” He asked.

“You, Tailspin you can,” I covered my mouth for a minute to keep myself from going too emotional. “You can stand.”

“Of course I can Private,” Tailspin said with a smile. “I’ve been able to walk since I was two, at least if you believe dad.”

He...was never...crippled…

“Bro?”

“Sorry,” I said, shaking my head and wiping my eyes. “Just, thinking of something else.”

“You’re acting weird, bro,” Tailspin observed.

“It’s been a weird day…” I said.

“Maybe you should sit down, you look shell shocked,” He said.

“Any new day at school can be overwhelming Tailspin.” Another voice interjected.

I looked over and saw….Dad.

He looked younger, his well kempt brown hair only showing a few streaks of grey as he looked at me. He was clad in a black business suit, sported the same grey skin as me. His blue eyes were all Tailspin’s though. It was, bizarre to see us like this…

All as a family again…

“Preventus?” Dad said. “Why are you staring at me?”

“He’s shell shocked, remember dad?” Tailspin interjected.

“Ah yes,” Dad said with a nod, “I can imagine you must’ve had an interesting day.”

“You have no idea dad,” I replied.

“Well, I’m sure you’re going to tell us all about it,” Another voice said…

No...no it can’t be...it’s...not possible…

She entered the room...she had Tailspin’s blue skin and electric blue hair that hanged down over her shoulders. She was wearing a simple blue blouse and skirt with a pair of singing birds on it. She also sported what I think are called pantyhose that were black and came from her blue high heels.

When I looked into her silver eyes...that I shared...there was no mistaking it...she was….

“Mom…” I said, my voice in shock.

She smiled and said, “Welcome home Preventus, how was your da-”

She was cut off when I ran to hug her tightly to me. I tried to hold back tears as I hugged her. She was here. Oh sweet Celestia, Luna, and Faust! She was here…

Mom...was alive….

I felt her wrap her arms around me and say, “What brought this on?”

“Just, happy to be home...Mom…”