• Published 6th Oct 2013
  • 1,037 Views, 41 Comments

The First Annual Golden Oaks Library Book Fair - Azreale



Twilight, after seeing that the library log book is empty, attempts to host a book fair with a little help from her friends.

  • ...
0
 41
 1,037

Carousel Boutique

It didn’t take long for the two to arrive at Carousel Boutique, situated near the center of town.

“Look! Look, Twilight, look! Over there, look! That’s Carousel Boutique! That’s Rarity’s home! That’s where she is! Look! Twil-”

“Spike, I know.” Twilight sighed, clamping his mouth shut with her magic. Spike nodded sheepishly, a blush touching his cheeks, as she released him. He hopped off of her back and ran ahead, knocking eagerly at the door. Twilight had caught up just as the door swung open.

“Welcome to Carousel Boutique! How may I help?” Rarity asked eagerly before she saw who was at her door. “Oh! My favorite Princess!” Rarity nudged Twilight playfully. “And my little Spikey-Wikey!” She cooed, pinching his cheeks. Twilight rolled her eyes as Spike melted into her arms. “What brings you two by this fine afternoon?”

“I was wondering if I could ask a favor from you. May we come in?” Twilight asked. Rarity nodded and stepped aside. Twilight noticed her work glasses that were nestled into her purple mane.

“Of course, of course! Come right in, I’ll be with you in just a moment. I have to put the finishing seam on a piece that I was working on and I’ll be right with you, is that alright?” The beautiful unicorn motioned to a circle of chairs in the room.

“Yes, take your time! We’ve got time!” Spike answered before Twilight could even open her mouth to reply. “Take as long as you need, I don’t mind being here all day!” Rarity smirked and gave Spike’s scales a quick stroke before heading back to her work area. Twilight and Spike took their seats and watched with interest as she lowered her red glasses back onto her nose and resumed her work. Twilight could have sworn that she was humming something, but she really couldn’t hear.

It wasn’t long before Rarity rejoined them in the waiting area. She put her glasses on the see-through side table to the right of the chairs and smiled brightly at her guests.

“I apologize for taking so long, darlings! Now then, what is it that brings you to my little shop? I sincerely doubt that you’re looking for a new garment!” Rarity laughed. “I know that you have all those fancy designers up in Canterlot just dying to serve you!” Twilight shook her head.

“I wouldn’t want to have anypony else other than you to make my dresses for me, Rarity.” Twilight said earnestly. “But no, that’s not why I’m here. I have a request for you!” Rarity leaned forward, curious.

“Oh? And what would that request be? I’m interested!” Twilight and Spike exchanged a smile as Twilight launched into her idea. Rarity listened with intrigue to the story, and hid her salivating mouth at the mention of Sugarcube Corner being one of the two caterers at the event.

“Well, I think that’s a charming little idea, darling, but might I ask why you’re going to such a length? This seems like an awful lot of work.” Rarity asked. Twilight nodded in agreement.

“Oh yes, it will be difficult to pull off, but I think that with help from all of our friends, I can do it! Besides, the Golden Oaks Library needs more patrons, and the best way to get ponies to come there is to host an event like this! How else can I get ponies interested in reading?” Rarity shrugged.

“I suppose that’s as good a reason as any. I know that I myself enjoy a fine romance or mystery from time to time. There’s nothing better than reclining in a bubble bath with a good book!” Rarity sighed. Twilight stuck her hoof out at the unicorn and stared hard at Spike.

“See, Spike?! She gets it! Thank you, Rarity! Nopony else agrees with me that books are amazing!” Twilight laughed. Spike rolled his eyes, and Rarity smiled wistfully at him before bringing her attention back to the alicorn.

“You still have not told me what you wish of me, however.” Rarity reminded her. Twilight blinked a few times before smacking a hoof to her face.

“Of course! I’m sorry, I’m such a scatterbrain! I was hoping that you could help with the décor!” Twilight exclaimed. Rarity cocked her head to the side.

“The… décor?” She asked. Twilight nodded.

“Yeah! I was hoping that you could decorate the library up all pretty, help organize the booths and whatnot, and maybe if you had enough time, help make some posters! You’re the most artistic mare in town, and I’m sure that lots of ponies would come if they saw how beautiful everything looked!” Twilight complimented, nudging Rarity knowingly. Rarity flushed and touched her cheeks, turning away.

“Oh come now, Twilight! You flatter me! I would be thrilled to help out! Anything to help out a friend!” Rarity nodded. Twilight squealed again and hugged her fellow element bearer.

“Thank you, Rarity! With your help, this is going to go fantastic! I could never do decorations like you can! Unfortunately, I can’t stay – I still have Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Applejack to go visit.” Twilight released Rarity and stood. The unicorn stuck out her lower lip.

“Oh… I thought that while you were over, we could go to the spa together! It’s been so long since I’ve been, and was hoping for a friend to go with!” Rarity looked to the alicorn with hopeful eyes. Twilight shifted awkwardly in place as she bit her lip.

“Oh, I’m sorry Rarity, but I really can’t… there’s so much that I need to get done!” Twilight replied sadly. “I wish I could though.”

“Oh, it’s perfectly fine darling. I should have known that you would be busy. I shouldn’t keep you any longer. I’ll be by the library tomorrow afternoon to speak to you about the setup and whatnot. Does that sound alright?”

“It sounds perfect, thanks again Rarity!” Twilight called, beginning to walk away. “Come by anytime, Spike and I will be there!” Spike ran over to Twilight and jumped up, grabbing her around the neck and pulling her head down to his level.

“Twi, I can’t leave a lady in her time of need! This could be my big chance! Let me escort her to the spa!” The dragon whispered quietly, yet urgently. Twilight raised an eyebrow.

“I thought that you were helping me today, though!” She reminded him, knocking him lightly on the side of his head. He flinched away from her hoof and grabbed her again.

“Twi! Please?! Look how sad she is!” Spike forcibly turned Twilight’s head to Rarity, who was happily humming to herself as she organized her bolts of cloth. Twilight pursed her lips. “She’s miserable!”

“If I let you go, will you let me go?” She asked with a laugh. Spike nodded once, very seriously. Twilight rolled her eyes and stood up again. “Fine, go ahead. Just be home by eight, alright?”

“I will, don’t worry!” he shouted, cheering. “Rarity! Lady Rarity!” He sprinted over to her as she turned again to him. He bowed low once he reached her. “Would you do me the honor of accompanying me to the spa this fine afternoon?”

Twilight shook her head with a laugh as she headed outside, closing the door quietly behind her.

Have fun, Spike. I know that I can do this alone. I know I can.