• Published 5th Oct 2013
  • 5,180 Views, 70 Comments

The Talk - Alexstrazsa



Vinyl Scratch and Octavia have a talk.

  • ...
17
 70
 5,180

The Story

"Tavi, what the fuck is dubstep?!"

Had she not been used to this kind of outburst, Octavia might have spilled the cup of tea she delicately sipped at. Her eyes followed the unicorn as she slammed the door and stormed into the kitchen. "I believe it’s a new type of music... But shouldn't you already know that?"

Vinyl pulled out the chair with an ear-piercing grinding, not too dissimilar from hooves on a chalkboard. Octavia cringed, from both the noise and the thought of new scratches on her freshly laminated wood flooring.

"Okay," Vinyl started, leaning forward, "Do I look like a pony who knows what ‘dubstep' is?" As she spoke, she pointed a trembling hoof at herself.

Octavia shifted in her seat uncomfortably, taking another sip of her tea. "Well, I suppose you mi–"

"No!" Vinyl shouted, punctuating the word by slamming a hoof on the table. “So why is it that ponies keep coming up to me and asking me to ‘play some wubs’ or ‘drop the bass,’ whatever the hell either of those mean?”

“Perhaps you unknowingly look like a fan of the genre,” Octavia said, with a shrug. “It’s not too farfetched. I mean, come on, look at you.” She glanced over the unicorn and scoffed.

Vinyl pulled off her glasses and held them in front of her, looking at her reflection. Magenta eyes and a spiked, multi-colored mane stared back at her. "Okay, maybe you have something there, but have you even heard the music I play?"

"Too often," Octavia replied, glancing to the side and finishing off her now lukewarm beverage. "Such generic pop music..."

"Hey! It's not generic, it's just... I don't know, it's what ponies want to hear at their events, okay? It’s good background music, y’know? Like uh... amvi... no, amu... That's not it either..." She tapped a hoof against the table as she strained. "Ampu–"

"Ambience," Octavia said, furrowing her brow. "The word you are looking for is ambience. I would at least expect you to know that, being a musician." After a moment, she mumbled to herself, “how do you not know that?

Vinyl pointed an accusing hoof towards the earth pony. "Look, princess, my job is to make music, not know any technical junk like that. I didn’t go to college to learn about words I can’t pronounce."

Octavia gave a concerned look and started to protest but was silenced by a raised hoof. Closing her mouth, she bit her lower lip and leaned back.

"But we're getting off topic here. Dubstep. I wanna know what this crap is and why they think I can play it." Vinyl snorted and looked towards the counter, immediately behind Octavia. "Gimme some of those peanuts."

Rolling her eyes, Octavia stood up, being careful to move the chair back without scraping. "I've already told you I don't know much about it. It's just a new style of music. Electronic, I’m pretty sure." She turned and picked up the jar of peanuts, then brought it to the table and pushed it across. Midway through the action, a thought occurred to her. "Wait, why didn't you just levitate these?"

"Lashzy," Vinyl said, through a hoofful of the snacks.

Octavia sighed and sat down again. "Typical."

"But sherioushly," the unicorn continued, "I gotta shtop this. It wash an all day thin." She swallowed the mouthful and grinned, then slid the jar away. "I swear this music just popped up overnight and suddenly I'm supposed to know what it is!"

Octavia steepled her hooves and rested her chin on them. "Now Vinyl, I know this is asking a lot of you, but did you ever consider trying to find out what it is on your own? You know, using your head for once. A tall order, no doubt."

Vinyl's eyes shifted to the sides. "What, like, research?" she asked, leaning back in the chair.

"Or even something as simple as talking to other musicians."

The room went silent, with the only noise being a soft creaking as the chair rocked back and forth on its back legs. Vinyl blinked, then motioned towards Octavia.

"Ugh, no." Octavia groaned, putting a hoof to her face. "I mean other electronic musicians. Ponies who do what you do! You have friends that do this too, don’t you?"

It took a moment, but Vinyl's eyes widened and she let out a long "Ohhh," as if some great revelation had dawned on her. So great, in fact, that she leaned back too far, sending the chair and herself toppling to the floor.

Octavia mourned for her lamination.

"I've got it!" Vinyl shouted, thrusting a hoof into the air. She clambered to her hooves and slammed one triumphantly on the table, and used another to hastily slip her glasses on. "I'm gonna talk to Neon and find out what dubstep is! Thanks, Tavi!"

Before Octavia could respond, the door had already slammed shut and Vinyl was nowhere to be found. The only indicator she had been there at all were a bunch of discarded peanut shells and an overturned chair.

With a sigh, Octavia stood up and walked around the table, then picked the chair up. She gently pushed it back into place, then looked down at the floor. While she didn’t notice anything immediately, she was certain she’d find marks on closer inspection.

Sweeping her hoof across the table, she collected the scraps of peanuts and brought them to the trashbin. After they had been tossed, she looked back and gave a content smile as her kitchen returned to normal. Then, she decided it was time for more tea.

Approaching the stove, she took the kettle and filled it with water, then placed it on the burner. She then turned the heat on, hearing the sparks ignite the gas. Octavia then paused, and for several moments her hoof was stuck on the temperature dial. She glanced up, staring blankly at the wall.

"Why do I feel as though I've done something very wrong?"

Author's Note:

This idea randomly came to me so I wrote it. In fact, most of it was written on my phone because it was that spur of the moment.

Comments ( 66 )

Way to go, Tavi. Smooth one. :facehoof:

Oh Octavia, you poor, foolish soul. You know not what you unleash :ajsleepy:

Everything everyone knows about Vinyl is a lie!

And oh, dear... this can only end... actually, I have no idea how this will end...

Perhaps humorously?

Tavi done screwed up now.

3305691
Not everything, she's still unrepentantly crass here.

3305697
Oh no. What have I done.

The first line alone makes me like and fave.

"Why do I feel as though I've done something very wrong?"

i know that feeling tavi i know that feeling:ajsleepy:

"Why do I feel as though I've done something very wrong?"

She has no clue.

Been nice knowing her.

~Skeeter The Lurker

...I've gotta be blunt here. Where is the comedy? Just... Nothing happened here. Vinyl complains, Octavia tries to be reasonable. Vinyl leaves.

It's... bland. :ajsleepy:

3305905
I'm willing to bet there's a comment like this on every story labeled "Comedy."

3305910
Perhaps, it's just that nothing about it really struck me as truly humorous. I'm sure there's something here for someone, but not for me.

:pinkiegasp: And that's how Vinyl Scratch invented the dishwubber! :pinkiecrazy:

Octavia mourned for her laminating.

Huh?

I liked the story. It was short and simple, and you left a lot unsaid. Small details--like Vinyl being too lazy to get the peanuts herself--give so much to characters without beating the reader over the head. Also, the cover art is beautiful.

3306723
The new laminating on her floor. Although that should actually be lamination. Whoops!

3306740

Oh, that makes more sense. I read it as "Octavia mourned for her lamenting," which really didn't make too much sense.:pinkiehappy:

Hehe cute.

It certainly was a story. :ajsmug:

And thus, the bass was dropped, the cannon blazed across the sky, and the chosen one awakened from her inner slumber...

Ocatvia never got to sleep in again.

And no we know when the world ended, well for Octi :heart::rainbowlaugh:
Sweet story, of a sweet duo hehe

And that helps explain why you're an awesome writer:twilightsmile:

It took me pathetically long to find fin out that this was an origin story.
In fact, I've always assumed it started out like this:
fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/198/8/0/how_friendship_starts_by_doublewbrothers-d6dv1o8.jpg
(source)

This joke? I like it.
I'm a bit frightened by the idea there might be a pony to teach Vinyl abut e-music. Really, that gives me the shivers.

As you probably know from my comment on Canterlot's Finest, this was already in my RiL but I was just reminded of it by your post.

I'm really glad I read it. It was a lot of fun. Short and sweet. :twilightsmile:

3305911

"Tavi, what the fuck is dubstep?!"

"Okay," Vinyl started, leaning forward, "Do I look like a pony who knows what ‘dubstep' is?" As she spoke, she pointed a trembling hoof at herself.

Octavia steepled her hooves and rested her chin on them. "Now Vinyl, I know this is asking a lot of you, but did you ever consider trying to find out what it is on your own? You know, using your head for once. A tall order, no doubt."

Vinyl's eyes shifted to the sides. "What, like, research?" she asked, leaning back in the chair.

"Or even something as simple as talking to other musicians."

The room went silent, with the only noise being a soft creaking as the chair rocked back and forth on it’s back legs. Vinyl blinked, then motioned towards Octavia.

"Ugh, no." Octavia groaned, putting a hoof to her face. "I mean other electronic musicians. Ponies who do what you do! You have friends that do this too, don’t you?"

"I've got it!" Vinyl shouted, thrusting a hoof into the air. She clambered to her hooves and slammed one triumphantly on the table, and used another to hastily slip her glasses on. "I'm gonna talk to Neon and find out what dubstep is! Thanks, Tavi!"

"Why do I feel as though I've done something very wrong?"

3424322
Shoving in my face what I have already read will not make me find it any more entertaining than I did the first time.

I understand every single one of those, get why some might find it fun, but I don't find it entertaining.

The first and last lines were cute, but this story was otherwise rather bland. Nice idea, but I wouldn't exactly call this a comedy if only two lines were, at most, kind of funny. I definitely have to agree with 3305905. I sense some comedic undertones, but this story doesn't really have the proper elements that a comedy should contain. I doubt even anyone who loved this story would think it was funny enough to laugh. This will receive a like, though, because it was a good slice of life story. I will also give you credit because according to you, this was a quick, heat of the moment, one-shot.

If you add more to the story... That ending is a good jumping off point... I mean you chould show Vinyl going to Neon for a chapter. She figures things out... Next morning WUB WUB WUB! Octy falls out of bed into the floor wondering what such racket was... I'm just saying... So much could be done... :raritywink:

And disagreeing with those who call it bland. I'd more all it a quiet humor. I'd say subtle, but then everyone will accuse me of being elitist and calling them too simple to grasp this story's genius or something. Perhaps it's more fitting of the Slice of Life tag than Comedy, but it is humorous, in an understated way, and after all, both tags are up there.

But I liked Frasier more than Friends when I was growing up, so maybe my sense of humor is a bit off compared to most people.

Opinion time! A very good story. It doesn't take place in an environment that would normally force us to think, such as a mystery novel, but still makes our gears turn with the exceeding subtlety. Open on both ends, allowing the reader to interpret it in a multitude of different ways and can be molded to fit a wide range of headcanons. The idea is very original as well. A very good story with an excellent execution.:moustache:

Hi there. I hope you don't mind, but I liked this fic so much I've put together an audio version on YouTube.

5245853
Whoa, I wasn't expecting that! This is so cool, I need to blog about this. Thanks a ton.

5245867

Whoa, I wasn't expecting that!

My status as a fanfic reading ninja is retained!

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Bless you, sir. :D

"Look, princess, my job is to make music, not know any technical junk like that. I didn’t go to college to learn about words I can’t pronounce."

FINALLY SOMEONE GETS IT

A tall order, no doubt.

Snarker Tavi is best Tavi. :moustache:

"Why do I feel as though I've done something very wrong?"

Because now you'll need sound proofing in your room, and sound insulating ear muffs as well. :trollestia:

Personally I don't see it as that bland like some have said, but then again I do enjoy more subtle humour stories, particularly after having read nothing but over-the-top silly comedy for a while.

While not pure comedy, it's a nice subtle comedy Slice of Life in my opinion. :twilightsmile:

Generic fic #477831239

Trust me, I counted... :coolphoto:

5253326
Is it though? IS IT?

Guess I know where one of my two new downvotes came from though.

5254827

You get a few bonus points for going against the "Vinyl is a dubstep-addict" thing, albeit in a very blatant manner. You then get all the minus points in the world for making the 192459732906th "TaviScratch" fic (or whatever it's called).

The writing itself is solid. The plot is generic. Yes, I know it was written on a whim. That is all I can say, to be honest...

5255774
What can I say, a lot of people like the idea of them being friends, myself included. In a relationship? Eh. But being cool with each other? I'm down with that.

5255897

As friends only? Eh... kinda. But my favorite is when they don't even know each other... :ajsmug:

chair rocked back and forth on it’s back legs

:derpyderp1:

5256347
13 months and 2,193 views and this has just been pointed out now. Gosh dang.

Thank you.

5256353
I tend to spot those things a lot. :twilightsmile: S'all good. Always lookin' out for errors.

"Tavi, what the fuck is dubstep?!"

Dear god.
This may be the greatest sentence any story with Vinyl Scratch has ever produced.

dubstep<power metal

Login or register to comment