• ...
10
 26
 1,282

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The group took off running, galloping as fast as they could down the long metal corridors, through FutureTec Headquarters, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle were out in front, leading the way out. Clearly they had a back way out, as the normal entrance was blocked off.

They rounded the corner, only to discover that there were five of the Fillydelphian Paladins blocking the way. These ones, were fortunately, not armed with the laser rifles that the ones with Archimedes were armed with. Instead, these were armed with heavy machine guns, as a prospect wasn’t much better.

‘Get them!’ One of the paladins barked.

The group wasted no time in running. The Paladins didn’t bother chasing after them; their gear was far too heavy for them to run. Instead they all opened up with their heavy machine guns.

Whirlwind glanced behind them; there was no way that this could continue. He quickly turned on his hooves and ran back towards the Paladins. Rainbow Dash glanced back to see what he was doing. ‘Whirlwind!? What are you doing!?’

‘Just keep going, I’ll keep them busy!’ Whirlwind cried out.

Rainbow Dash didn’t want to leave him behind, but when one of the heavy machine guns 12.7mm bullets flashed dangerously close to her wing.

‘GO!’ Whirlwind cried again. Forcing Rainbow Dash to fly away.

Whirlwind kept running he closed his eyes. He knew what needed to be done. He allowed himself to do what was necessary.

He opened his eyes. ‘We shall handle this’, he said as he leapt into the air, diving at the paladins.

...

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo skidded to a halt in front of a large door. They pushed it open and revealed a room filled with train tracks. Vinyl Scratch glanced into the room, not believing her own eyes, she pulled her goggles down around her neck. It was the diesel engine that she had rode to Ponyville from Fillydelphia with Monty Ulan, the one that had no breaks, and had continued on its way before crashing in Manehattan. The Cultists in Manehattan must have recovered it and brought it here.

‘We can use this to escape!’ Scootaloo said.

‘Just as long as it’s got a caboose on it’, Vinyl said.

‘Of course!’ Sweetie Belle said. ‘We’re not stupid, why would we go somewhere without the breaks?’

‘Yes, why not?’ Vinyl said to herself, rhetorically.

They all scampered to the engine, climbing on board. The Cutie Mark Crusaders taking to the controls, starting the train. Apple Bloom hit another button, but was distressed to discover that nothing happening. ‘’Tha door ain’t openin’!’ she cried out.

Scootaloo groaned loudly in frustration. ‘Hang on every pony!’ she said as she threw the train into gear. The diesel engine drove forward, ploughing through the doors and continuing on it’s way. The railroad tracks winded out of Whitetail Wood and into Ponyville proper. They all gasped when they discovered what had happened. Fire adorned many of the buildings, and smoke rose into the air. Scootaloo blew the horn loudly as they slid into the Ponyville train station. Where a coalition of Cultus Mechanius Templars and Saracens, FutureTec Combots, and Nephite Rifle ponies were making their stand, one of the templars turned around to look at the ponies as they stepped off the train.

‘Huh? Reinforcements?’ the Templar asked.

‘Afraid not’, Twilight said.

‘Huh? Twilight? What are you doing on that train?’ The Templar asked.

‘I’m sorry? Do I know you?’ Twilight asked in confusion.

‘Uh yeah... it’s... uh hold on’, The Templar said. He motioned to one of the unicorn Saracens who had taken cover behind a column, levitating a Nephite submachine gun above her head. The blue robed pony nodded in agreement, and enveloped the templar’s helmet in her magic. Lifting it off to reveal...

‘Caramel?’ Twilight asked in shock.

‘What can I say? A lot of us joined the Cultus Mechanius when they came to town. Situation isn’t good, As far as I know? We’re all that’s left of the Templar security force; those Fillydelphian Paladins caught us all by surprise’.

‘A surprise!?’ Surprise said snapping her head to attention.

‘Yeah, and certainly not a good kind’, said another pony as they walked into the room. Everyone turned to look and see who it was. It was Carrot Top, along with the Flimflam brothers Big McIntosh, and Braeburn, along with a multitude of town ponies. ‘Everypony keep calm!’ Carrot Top said as she shouted back.

‘Carrot Top!’ Caramel cried out. ‘You’re all right!’

‘You can thank Flim and Flam for that’, Carrot Top said as she trotted over and gave Caramel a tight hug. ‘They’re quite handy with a submachine gun’.

‘It’s bad out there, The Fillydelphian Paladins don’t care who they hurt, Cult, Nephite, Combot, or innocent bystander’, Flim said.

‘We got as many ponies here as we could’, Flam added. ‘When we heard the horn from the train, we knew we had a way out’.

‘Get everypony on the train as fast as possible’, Twilight said. ‘We need to get them out of here before the Fillydelphian Paladins...’

They were interrupted by loud cracks of heavy machine gun fire from outside. The diesel engine’s horn had let the Cultus Mechanius know that their escape had arrived, the same, could be said for their enemies. ‘Templars! Cover the evacuation not one Paladin gets through, understand!?’ Caramel cried out, slamming his helmet back down onto his head as the rest of the Cultus Mechanius Templars lined up in a row, facing towards the door to Ponyville’s exterior. The door flew open; however they were surprised to discover that it was not a section of Paladins, but rather combots, or, more accurately, combot.

‘Hi!’ Mister Happy called out cheerfully with a wave. ‘You’ll have to forgive me, but what’s going on out here? My internal clock has discovered a time stamp mismatch! I’ve been out of service for 15 hours!’

‘Mister Happy?’ Apple Bloom questioned as she took a few steps forward, she glanced behind the combot, only to discover that there were no less than seventeen corpses lying on the ground behind Mister Happy. All of them bore the Paladin insignia on them. ‘Did you do that?’ she asked.

‘Do what?’ Mister Happy asked cheerfully. As he rotated about his axis to take a look at what Apple Bloom was talking about. ‘Oh my. What happened over here? It looks like somebody violently murdered all of these ponies! That’s not very nice’.

‘You... didn’t see that?’ Vinyl Scratch asked suspiciously.

‘Nope! Sure didn’t!’ Mister Happy said. ‘The last thing I remember was escorting the Very Important Ponies to see the bosses. They went inside, and then... I was here! With a mismatching time stamp. That’s probably not good’, he added with a friendly chuckle.

Applejack nudged her sister lightly, ‘Apple Bloom... what’s wrong with him?’

‘That’s a good question...’ Apple Bloom said nervously.

Carrot Top trotted back out into the room. ‘We’ve gotten everypony onto the train, we should probably get out of here before more Paladins show up!’ she said.

Twilight nodded her head in agreement. ‘We can discuss this later, Ponyville isn’t safe anymore, and it’s time to leave.’

Spike gently tugged on Twilight’s tail, causing Twilight to jump slightly, she had forgotten that the baby dragon had been there at all. ‘Twilight, I’m not going with you’.

‘What? Spike are you crazy?!’ Twilight asked.

‘Probably’, he said with a shrug. ‘Still, you need somebody here to keep an eye on what’s going on; it might as well be me’.

‘Oh Spikey-wikey! How brave of you!’ Rarity cried out she trotted over to the baby dragon giving him a hug. ‘We’re all with you in spirit darling!’

‘I won’t let you down Rarity’, Spike said confidently. Rarity said nothing, instead giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. Spike felt empowered, the way he felt now? He couldn’t fail.

Twilight nodded. ‘Be careful Spike’, she said simply.

‘Oh relax; they won’t even know I’m here!’ Spike said, giving Twilight a salute, and then running out of the train station and into the bushes next to the entrance.

‘All right! Let’s go!’ Twilight cried. She, along with Vinyl, Surprise, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Applejack, Rarity, Caramel, Carrot Top, and the rest of the Templars boarded the train. The Cutie Mark Crusaders took to the engine’s control compartment and threw the train into gear. It began to roll away from the town.

That was when they all saw the full extent of the destruction, Bodies of fallen templars and Saracens littered the streets, fires raged throughout Ponyville. Fluttershy had to cover her eyes and cower under her seat in the passenger compartment, it was just too horrible.

Twilight couldn’t blame her, but something else had caught her eye. She looked up to see a grey dart moving through the sky. ‘Rainbow... is that...?’ she began to ask, Rainbow Dash looked up and interrupted her.

‘It’s Whirlwind!’ she cried out.

Whirlwind began his descent towards the train, in a few moments he landed outside on the walkway between the cars. He pushed open the door and walked inside.

‘Whirlwind, you’re okay!’ Rainbow Dash cried out.

Whirlwind, however, did not answer; instead, he looked blankly at Rainbow Dash for a moment. ‘We used to remember Whirlwind’, he said in an unnatural voice, so unlike his own, a deep, echoey voice that carried throughout the entire passenger car. ‘He us no longer a part of us’.

Twilight and company froze. ‘No...’ she cried softly, this couldn’t be happening!

‘We are Legion’, Legion said simply as he began to step forward towards the group. ‘We have returned’.