• Published 17th Oct 2013
  • 1,002 Views, 14 Comments

Learning Friendship Through Disharmony - Junkponi



An average guy gets tricked into becoming Discord's pupil to learn about friendship but what is there to learn really?

  • ...
3
 14
 1,002

Falling Stars and Monsters

“Hurry up Spike! You don’t want to miss the meteor shower do you?” exclaimed a lavender unicorn with a streak of magenta and purple running through her dark blue mane and tail, waiting for her purple reptile slowly following behind with a telescope in tow in a red wagon.

“I like to see you try and pull this thing up hill Twilight,” Spike spat pulling the heavy load as they approach a group of ponies on the hill in the beautiful night air surrounded by orchids of apple trees. “Besides, we’re already here.”

“Twilight! It’s ‘bout time y’all show up!” came from the southern accented orange pony with her Stetson hat.

“Sorry Applejack. We would’ve come sooner if a certain dragon hadn’t taken a three hour bath before coming here,” Twilight glared at Spike who was too busy being in a trance gazing at certain purple mane white unicorn lounging on a luxurious sofa.

“That’s alright, Twilight. Cupcake?” replied the cheery pink curly-haired pony offering a delicious looking cupcake with a white, pink swirl.

“No thanks, Pinkie. I really need to calibrate the telescope if we’re to get any good views of the meteor shower that Princess Luna told us about tonight,” Twilight declined returning to the looking glass and tweaking the propped up device.

“Um, Twilight…this meteor shower isn’t going to…uh, fall on anypony or hurt any innocent woodland creatures?” asked Fluttershy looking worried and shielding the little bunny under her wings.

“Nah, these flying rocks of fire just come and go,” answered a blue pegasus with a rainbow mane sipping from her juice box.

“Actually Rainbow Dash, these ‘flying rocks of fire’ are streams of debris left by comets or random meteors that fall and burn up in our atmosphere.” Twilight pointed out looking through the telescope while Rainbow Dash just gave a shrug and continued drinking her juice. “So there is nothing to worry about Fluttershy.”

“Thank goodness,” Fluttershy sighed letting go of the bunny that was not too keen of the restraining act.

“That should about do it,” Twilight commented finishing setting the telescope when she noticed the night sky begins to stir. “And just in time too.”

The dark sky rained pearls of light that sparkled in all direction. Some were fast and some were slow but overall, it was a spectacular sight. The scene captivated everyone’s attention as they can only look in awe.

“Don’t forget to make a wish everypony!” Applejack yelled interrupting everyone’s daze of the night light show.

“Phhsh, that’s for babies! You know well as I do that wishing on a star is an old mare’s tale,” Rainbow Dash replied plainly.

“Now that’s not true,” Rarity interjected. “Everypony have a wish that they want to believe would come true someday. And besides, it doesn’t hurt to wish for some things in life every once in a while.”

Suddenly, an unusually large falling star appeared. It out shined all of the other raining stars with its bluish hue and bright tail, dancing in the black canvas that was the night sky. With their eyes set on the blazing star, everyone closed their eyes and proceeded to wish to their heart’s desire. All but one.

Twilight’s eyes followed the flying phenomenon as her mind raced on what to wish for. She thought deeply about what worldly possession that she can request for but no answer could be found. Twilight then wondered if there was anything wrong with her life and again, she felt satisfied with her life at Ponyville. There was one thing though that did come across Twilight’s mind and it wasn’t the first time that it has in her life. She felt flustered as the thought crept up.

Is there a special somepony out there for me?’ she thought as the question haunted her and brought emotions of uncertainty.

This perplexing thought has Twilight questioning about herself, her future-to-be special pony and what kind of life that they both would share. Finally Twilight made up her mind and closed her eyes to the falling star.

“I wish to meet my special somepony,” Twilight whispered then opened her eyes to confirm that the wishing star she wished upon was still there.

“Is it me or is that falling star getting bigger?” Rainbow Dash asked pointing at the large blue comet soaring in the sky.
Everyone watched the comet get bigger by the second until they made a dreadful revelation.

“It’s not getting bigger! It’s getting closer! Get down!” cried Twilight as everyone fell down to get cover.

The giant blue fireball flies over everyone by only a few feet and continued until it blazed through the leafy branches of an apple tree. The fallen object then crashes behind the fire lit tree and skids towards the Apple Acre barn, leaving a trench of destruction. Its path ends when the fallen star breaks through the side of the barn.

“Is everypony alright?” Twilight asked while everyone checked on each other and then nodded back in response. “Ok, we better hurry to get that fire under control before it spreads to the rest of the orchids! Then after, we’ll see what it was that fell into the barn.”


Water…I need…water’ was the only thought that ran through my mind. The intense heat and pain that I’m feeling was indescribable, only that I needed to be cooled off now. Opening my eyes, I made out from my blurred vision that I’m in a hole of a building of some kind with the moon shining through the ruined wall. My body burned with an immense amount of pain as I slowly crawled out to find the nearest water source in the dark. I weakly moaned at every motion with tears streaming from my face from the agonizing pain until I felt what I was looking for.

Water…,” I gasped weakly feeling the cool wetness of some liquid touching my face.

Inch by inch I immersed myself in the puddle being poured from a nearby open barrel and slowly closed my eyes as I plant the side of my face into the muddied puddle. A cooling relief swept over me with my body lying in the sweet scented pool.

Apples,’ I thought smelling the intoxicating aroma and hearing voices closing in before falling into a deep sleep.


“That’s the last of ‘em,” Rainbow Dash said putting out the last of the fires from a burning tree with a raincloud as everyone gave a sigh of relief.

“Good work Rainbow Dash! Now all that’s left to do is to check the barn,” Twilight commented and leads the group to the broken entrance of the barn.

“What do y’all reckon it is that rammed into my barn?” Applejack asked inspecting the barn’s broken wall.

“I bet it’s a monster from outer space!” Rainbow Dash replied making various ghoulish faces and ‘OOOoooOOoo’ sound effects.

“A monster?!” said Spike and Fluttershy in unison both showing signs of fear.

“Yeah! Like from those movies where the space monster crashes at some secluded farm, just like this one,” Rainbow Dash answered smugly. “The monster then eats its unsuspecting victims with its green slimy tentacles and razor-sharp teeth. And the last thing that you’ll ever hear is its horrible moaning before it gets you! ”

“Really Rainbow? How droll,” Rarity said rolling her eyes.

“Yeah, Rainbow Dash!,” Pinkie chimed in, “Monsters don’t have slimy tentacles. They have jagged claws with hairy backs and sixteen glowing red eyes and…”

“Twilight! There is no such thing as monsters? Right?” Spike asked holding onto Fluttershy while they both shuttered at the monstrous description.

“No Spike, there is no such thing as monsters. Rainbow Dash is just letting her imagination get the best of her,” Twilight sighed as her horn begins glow a purple aura before emanating an artificial purple light. “Now if everypony is done playing around, we can start investigating whatever it was that crashed into Applejack’s barn.”

Twilight carefully guides the gang into the dark eerie barn with Spike and Fluttershy straying behind. They quietly followed the skidded path from the fallen star until they reach the end of the impact. Expecting to find something, there was nothing in the small sized crater.

“Is there supposed to be a rock or something?” Pinkie questioned.

“There’s supposed to be one be one here but I don’t understand where it could have went,” Twilight replied perplexed by the missing object.

“Mmmmgh.”

“Aaah! It’s the monster!” screams Spike at the mysterious moaning as Fluttershy shrieks in terror and they both huddled together shaking profusely.

“Rainbow Dash, now is not the time to be playing around again!” Twilight snapped at Rainbow Dash.

“That wasn’t me Twilight,” Rainbow Dash replied just as bewildered as Twilight at the strange noise.

“Mmmmh.”

“It’s coming from over there!” Applejack cried out pointing at the direction of the moaning.

Twilight points her lit horn at the general area and sees something lying on the ground near some of the broken barrels in the far corner of the barn. Cautiously making her way with everyone staying closely behind, she spies an unconscious pony lying in a puddle of cider. On instinct, Twilight runs to aid the fallen pony as everyone immediately follow after.

“What is it Twilight?” Rarity asks.

“It’s a pony and I think he’s hurt,” Twilight answered as the whole gang arrives to the lying body drenched in apple cider.

“Look! He’s still breathing!” Rainbow Dash pointed out at the stallion’s weak breathing.

“Oh boy, he ain’t looking too good eitha’. Just look at all those nasty cuts and burns,” Applejack remarked at the stallion’s condition.

“Do you think that he’ll be alright?” Spike asks looking down at the hurt pony in worriment.

“I don’t know, Spike,” Twilight replied letting her lit horn die out and then magically picking up the limp pony in the moonlight.

“But I do know that standing around asking questions is not going to help. We got to take him to the Poniville Hospital and fast!”

“What about the missing star? We haven’t found it yet,” Pinkie asked looking back at the empty crater.

“That can wait, Pinkie. For now, our priority is to get this guy the medical attention that he needs.” Said Twilight levitating the body towards the exit with the moon shining down on them and the night sky clear of the meteor shower. ‘I have a feeling that this pony might know what happened to the fallen star.


*beep*

“Uhh.”

*beep*

“Uhh…fuck,” I groaned, trying to open my heavy eyelids. Slowly, my eyes open to reveal my blurry vision but shut them immediately when the light flooded in. Rubbing my eyes, I take in the new surrounding with the annoying beeping blaring over my left shoulder.

I was in a pale blue and green room with brown trimming and the sun’s rays peeking through the window from the side. The air was cold and had a strong smell of disinfectants and rubbing alcohol. A white curtain resides next to the bed that I occupy as a beeping heart monitor and IV stand sit idly by. Instantly I knew where I was. I was in a hospital. Looking at the IV and the heart monitor, I trace the wires down to my stubby, handless arm.

Wait a minute…’ I thought looking over my blue fingerless limbs in horror. ‘Where are my hands?! What the hell happen to me!?!

A wave of terror and confusion swept over me. In a manic craze, I threw off the covers to reveal the rest of my body. I was covered in blue fur and my feet…oh god, my feet were gone.

“Nurse! Nurse!!!” I cried out at the top of my lungs trying to figure out how all of this happened to me.

“Think, Think John. What could’ve happened to put you in the hospital and leave you horribly disfigured?” I told myself trying to remember the day before.

I was at school doing my usual check-up at the wanted board and took some cigarettes from some jackass. And then I was offered the greatest internship by some complete stranger before I fell…yeah that’s it, I fell and now I’m...him. That bastard did this! He fucking did this!! ’ I thought looking down at my fucked up figure and feeling my anger growing deep inside me.

“Nurse!” I yelled out again before the door’s knob begins to jiggle and then creaked opened.

“What’s the matter, sweetie? Are you hurt?” replied a concerned feminine voice and stepping in was the freakiest thing I ever seen.

This thing looked like a white miniature horse with a pink mane put into a bun. It wore a nurse’s hat and shares the same red cross emblem on its rear end. Expressing a concern look for my well-being, the white mare slowly trots her way towards me as I stared at her in awe and fear.

“Stay away from me…”

“Excuse me?” she asked stopping about half way.

“I said stay away from me! You, you freak!” I yelled at the now bewildered mare. “I don’t know who you are or what you are, but stay away!”

“I, I’m just trying to help you, dear. There’s nothing to be afraid of, you’re in a safe place now. Just let me give you some medicine to calm your nerves,” she replied, trotting once again my way.

“No! Get the fuck away from me!” I pulled the wires attached to my arm and the heart monitor came crashing down along with the IV stand in front of her. I breathed heavily at the shocked white mare and felt pain in my arm where the IV tubing was hooked up. Blood. Blood was trickling steadily out of the fresh wound as I try to grab my arm the best I can to stop the bleeding.

“Oh Celestia, doctor! Doctor come in quick! We have an emergency!” she cried out.

“What is it Nurse Redheart? Is there something wrong with the new patient?” replied another pony stepping in the room.

This time it was a brown stallion wearing glasses and in a typical doctor’s white lab coat except this guy was different from this Nurse Redheart. Sticking out right below his dark brown mane was a horn and not just an ordinary horn but one that glows.

“What happened here? Is the patient alright?” he questioned with his horned glowing a strange yellow aura and a clipboard floated sharing the same aura floats in front of him.

“I tried to help him when he called out for help but he refused my help. Then he panicked and caused the equipment to fall while injuring himself,” Nurse Redheart answered pointing out the blood dripping out of the side of my arm, staining the bed sheets.

“Alright, go find another pony to help Nurse Redheart while I prepare the sedative for the patient,” Nurse Redheart nodded at the doctor’s command and quickly ran out of the room while his horn glows again. I winced as I watch a syringe hovers out his lab coat and siphons an orange liquid out of a green bottle that appeared from the same coat.

“I’m only going to say this once so cooperate and we won’t have any trouble. Don’t and we’ll do this the hard way. Now be a good pony and take your medicine,” said the brown pony coming closer with the menacing floating syringe.

“Fuck you,” I told him when Nurse Redheart trotted in with another nurse but this pony was tannish-yellow with her light blue mane permed. With a nod from the doctor, both nurses lunged at me trying to strain me to the bed.

Nurse Redheart latched onto my injured arm while the other nurse struggled with the other one. I thrashed my arms about to get loose until my bleeding arm slipped out of Nurse Redheart’s grasp, leaving a bloody imprint across her face and hooves as I contend with the other nurse. Seeing the sharp needle nearing, I desperately bit at the blue mane mare in the arm as she gave a loud “ouch”, letting me free momentarily until I’m attacked from behind. I fall onto my face on the mattress with Nurse Redheart holding me down and soon the other nurse joining in the dog pile.

I struggled for my dear life under the two mares until I noticed that the orange filled syringe was nowhere to be seen. Then it hits me, literally. The syringe stings me in one of the worst places to have, the ass. Soon a mix of pain and dizziness take hold of me as Nurse Redheart simply coos me calmingly while gently stroking my hair. Knowing that this is it for me, tears swelled from my eyes and flow down my cheeks.

“You sons-of-bitches…you all did this to me. You made me into a monster,” I murmured feeling the drug’s effects and beginning to black out. “A monster that use to be human…y-you and that fucking Hawaiin shirt wearing Mr. D…”
My jaw gives out as my face falls to the bedding and my eyelids getting heavier by second. With only seconds of consciousness, I watched the nurses slide off of me while sighing in relief before the doctor.

“Nurse Redheart if you ever so kindly contact Mrs. Sparkle about her friend’s condition and then get the bandages for his injury.This one is going to need a lot of help. Not only is he a threat to everypony but he’s a threat to himself also,” he sighed as my vision dissipates from the world. “Celestia have mercy on this pony.”


“Hellooo? Wakey wakey. Anypony home?” asked the booming voice. I stir from my slumber from the loud, yet familiar voice and roll onto my side to bury my face into the unknown soft cushion to get away from the annoying sound.

“Oh come on, is this any way for an intern to act to his employer?” said the condescending voice, taunting me as I immediately recognize the speaker. It’s the bastard who put me through hell and all this pain. The bastard that I want to see dead.

“You mother fucker. I’m going to kill you!” I weakly replied rolling over and opening my eyes to see the tropical shirt wearing asshole but was instead greeted by something else.

“Ah ah ah, no rude remarks,” Discord commented as I silently stared at him trying to make heads or tails of what kind of creature he is as he sat cross legged across from me.

“Now I just like to say congratulations in becoming my apprentice and-“

“What are you?” I interruptedly asked continually staring at Discord’s abnormal structure and his smug face.

“Why, I’m your new teacher and you are my student. Isn’t it obvious?” Discord said distinctly.

“N-no, I mean what kind of monster are you and who said anything about me becoming your student?” I questioned him.

“Monster is such a harsh word. I prefer to be called unique, but if you must know, I’m a draconequus. You know, a magical creature made majority of different body part from animals. But I shouldn’t be the one worrying about that my little pony,” he smirked snapping his bird-like fingers and magically appears a mirror in his claws to prop it up to my face.

I look into the reflection expecting my own, but saw someone else staring back at me. It was a miserable blue pony lying on his side in a strait jacket with his black mane messed up. I tilt my head at the image and the pony did the same. Then I open my mouth to stick my tongue out and the reflection imitated again. Shit. I’m that poor of excuse of a pony strapped in a strait jacket.

“Why am I in a strait jacket and where are we?” I asked finally taking notice of my surroundings, seeing that we’re both in a small white cushioned room with a metal door that has a barred peep hole.

“You don’t remember John? You had a fit with the hospital staff and how you panicked when they try to help you. It was an interesting sight and it was no brainer to know that you ended up here with the way you acted,” Discord replied giving a crazy expression, waving his paw-like finger around his head and rolling his red eyes.

“Besides, that’s not important right. What’s important is that you signed an agreement to be my apprentice,” Discord stated presenting the signed piece of paper out of his non-existent pockets. “You see, and as such, you are bonded until I decide that you are of no use.”

“Ok but why do you need me? I mean, just look at you. You can make stuff appear out of nowhere and stuff. What can I possibly offer you?” I asked.

“Friendship.”

“What?”

“Friendship. I want you to research on friendship,” Discord said bending over and placing me against a wall in an upright manner. “I have always been curious on this ‘friendship’ thing and I want for you report your experiences to me.”

“Really? It’s not that hard. All you do is go out, meet new people and instantly become best buds,” I nonchalantly replied.

“Hmm, let me be a bit more specific. I want you to become friends with these certain ponies named Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity and Fluttershy. Just get to know them and report anything of any value to me,” said Discord.

“And if I refuse?” I asked, “I’m not going to be your lackey, so I can spy on some stupid ponies. All of this just sounds too much work for me really.”

“You got a point there. How about we make a game out of this then, shall we? These six ponies all made a wish upon your arrival to this world. If you fulfill each pony’s wish, I’ll let you return to your normal life as if nothing happened. But I still want you to report back to me. Do we have a deal?” Discord replied smugly putting his paw out as I sighed, coming to terms with this game of his. What do I have to lose?

“Deal,” we shook hands, er hooves, when I oddly lifted my right leg to complete the ordeal.

“So how do you want the info be sent to you,” I asked

“Easy, just get a post card and burn it with it addressed to Mr. D and the rest should take care of itself,” Discord gestured grabbing a random postcard out of his ear and then lit it ablaze with his clawed thumb. The postcard instantly turned into white smoke and slithered its way through the peep hole of the metal door.

“My oh my, just look at the time. I got to go,” Discord commented taking an oversized pocket watch out his non-existent pockets again and showed the watch’s hands marked on ‘Time to Go’ before stuffing back in.

“Before you go, can you at least give me a smoke? I could really go for one, please?” I asked politely as he looked at me stroking his goatee deciding on my request.

“Sure, I’ll give one for my most prized pupil,” he chimed sticking his tongue out with a cigarette ready.

“Don’t push it bub,” I glared at him before he puts the jack onto my lips and then lighting it with his thumb.

The scent of cigarette smoke quickly filled the room as I close my eyes to take my first hit of the day and exhaled, feeling the cigarette’s magic working. When I opened my eyes again, Discord has already disappeared and this left me thinking my next move to make.

How the hell am I supposed to get out of here?’ I thought when suddenly the white metal door made loud clanking noises of the locks turning and slowly creaked open.

“I hope you know what you’re getting into Ms. Sparkle when I say that the patient..isn’t….ready?” said the doctor from before to the purple-lavender unicorn next to him and three other ponies as they all stared at me, perplexed at what they were looking at.

They silently stared at me as I awkwardly exhaled a cloud of smoke and meekly smiled, “So, how is everybody doing today?”

Author's Note:

Chapter 2 up and running! Comments and criticism are welcome!