• Published 1st Mar 2012
  • 4,697 Views, 44 Comments

Controlled Chaos, Chaotic Control - Siswitch



Will Discord give up chaos for love? No. But will he be able to hide his passion from the princess?

  • ...
4
 44
 4,697

Chaotic Control

“So... You can raise the sun on your own now.”

“Yes... I guess this is it then.”

“No, this isn’t the end, this is only the beginning.”

-------------

Cluck, cluck.

Cluck, cluck.

“Oh for goodness sake chickens are boring.” Discord muttered to himself as he sat perfectly still in the chickens stall, the other chickens were eyeing him warily but other than that nothing was happening.

Nothing. Was. Happening.

Cluck, cluck.

Cluck, cluck.

Clu-caaaa.

He glanced to a chicken as it fell off its stoop. How amusing.

Cluck, cluck.

Cluck, clu- idea.

If chickens could smile Discord would of had the evilest grin a chickens ever had.

Without so much as a shimmy of a feather a chicken at the far end of the coop started to sway, slowly turning grey and black, until its body shimmered brightly. Discord resisted shielding his eyes with a wing and continued to look at his work.

A badger.

All the chickens panicked and flapped desperately trying to escape from this sudden intruder who was sitting wondering if it should be running too. Discord let himself be part of the confused fray and dramatically clucked and cawed until he was outside the coop.

As the chickens settled Discord pouted inwardly wondering how chickens survived in the wild if they simply forgot something dangerous was there.

“Oh my! What happened?!” A soft worried voice called out as she flitted to the coop.

Turn the badger back. Turn the badger back!

The yellow pegasus glanced inside the coop then looked around confused.

“What happened, what scared you?” Her tender voice washed over all the chickens as they slowly made their way back in the coop. She smiled a little and shook her head. “I bet it was a spider. Spiders can be really frightening, I don’t blame you for running.” Discord realised that will ALL the chickens back in the coop there would be no room for him so slowly backed away from the familiar pegasus. “Oh, who are you?” Caught.

“Erm, cluck.”

“You’re not one of my chickens...” She bent down to look at him closer. “Are you lost little guy?” No matter who it was or what the situation he hated patronisation. He clucked as pathetically as he could and glanced at the sky, checking for any sign of Princess Luna. “It’s ok... I’ll get you back to your home. Just come inside and we’ll figure out where you came from!

A sudden image of Celestia crying made him pause. He sighed inwardly knowing he’d have to head back there now.

“No, Fluttershy, I’m not lost.” His words caused her to squeal and jump three feet in the air. “Sorry I scared your chickens, I was bored.” He turned back to normal and lifted into the air, not stopping to see her reaction but he could hear it, a confused/frightened squeak was all he heard before he made his way back to Canterlot.

As he flew back he pondered to where Luna was, wasn’t she following him?

How long did he spend as a chicken?

Was it long enough that she had given up?

Was she back home?

Without warning his body convulsed as it was struck by lightning, a shock in two ways as there wasn’t a dark cloud in the sky and, well, because it was electricity. Looking around he saw the dark mare’s horn glowing, ready to shoot again.

“L-Look!” He shook the effects of the lightning off, “I’m going to speak to her now, ok?!”

“No! It’s not ok!” She growled. Ready to attack again. Discord rolled his eyes and leant on a cloud to look bored.

“Luna, we are both near enough to being Gods. Do you really want to fight for what could be a millennium?” Discord could tell that was a stupid thing to ask as her face was saying all he needed to know. “Hey, hey! Calm down.” He raised his hands a little in defence, producing a tiny white flag he waved it pathetically. “I’m going to apologise to Celestia for being so blunt, ok? She can decide then if I need a punishment.”

The mare of the night seemed to calm at his words and sighed, dipping her wings slightly she flew away from the draconequus in the same direction he was heading.

Back to Canterlot.
------

Celestia wasn’t crying as much as her sister made her out to be, just a few tears were shed at the realisation she wasn’t being fair to Discord at all. She had calmed down by the time her darling graced her balcony again.

She smiled at what he looked like. He had made his eyes huge and shimmering and was around three times smaller than he usually was. With her magic she unlocked the window and let him in, his eyes and body returning to normal.

“Celestia, my dear I-” Discord began only to be shushed.

“Don’t say sorry. It is I who should be apologising. I know who you are and I tried to change you... That’s not fair.” She slipped off her bed and trotted over to him. “I fell in love with a trickster, I shouldn’t try and make him a saint.”

“That, my dear, is the smartest thing I’ve ever heard you say.” He grinned and wrapped his arms around her neck, letting her nuzzle into him. After a little she looked up at him.

“You smell singed.” She gave a small chuckle. “I guess my sister found you.”

The tall spirit of chaos rolled his eyes.

“Oh yes, she did. I feel like a giant hotdog.” Discord groaned and collapsed onto their bed pathetically. With another small chuckle she made her way to him.

“I’m sorry. It’s not funny.”

“Then stop laughing you big bully.”

---------------

In ‘honour’ of the Princess’s new suitor a formal party was held. After pleading, moaning, threatening, apologizing and eventually giving in Discord agreed to be there.

“I don’t know any of these ponies.” He muttered to her through gritted teeth, he wasn’t even trying to look amused or faking being happy. He wanted everypony to know he didn’t want to be here.

“Not true, you know Twilight and her friends.” Celestia’s words made him look for them, smiling as a reporter had cornered and obviously uncomfortable Twilight and Rarity. To say it made him feel better is an overstatement but it made him happy. “Look, after tonight we’ll figure out something to hopefully keep you happy.”

Discord was beginning to love his life. Apart from the boring party that, for some reason, he wasn’t allowed to spice up he knew things would be looking up from here on out.

He had his childhood friend and sweetheart by his side, that’s all that mattered.

That and the fact she’d let him be him.

Only one thing could ruin this, just one.

An innocent comment.

“Thank you, my dear. Goodness knows that’s the one thing in my life I could never give up.” Discord glanced around the room at all the fancy foods while Celestia pondered what he just said.

“So... If you had a choice between me and chaos you’d choice chaos?”

Uh oh.

He couldn’t lie, he couldn’t lie.

“To be perfectly honest yes. Chaos is in my blood.” He narrowed his eyes in confusion, thinking whether they’d had this conversation before or not. Celestia looked a little hurt.

“So if there was a situation where you had to choose between never seeing me and being stripped of your chaos you would, without hesitation, never see me again?!” Celestia knew deep in her heart that this was true all along, she just never wanted it to be said. Discord stammered a little.

“Well of course I’d hesitate!”

“But you’d choose chaos?” A few ponies had noticed her voice was getting a little louder and were looking at them curiously.

“Look, it’s not like the situation will ever arise! There’s room in my life for both.” He kept his voice low in an attempt to soothe her. She was having none of it.

“How can I be with you knowing I come second to your powers?” She backed away from him a little, Discord narrowed his eyes as he noticed hypocrisy in her words.

“Oh, so if I was to say ‘Celestia, darling, if you were to choose between me and your powers... Say the situation was to arise were someone made you choose between your horn and me would you choose me?’ you would be FINE becoming a pegasus for me?” Discord knew perfectly well she wouldn’t want to give up her powers, the duty and her royal position.

Celestia paused for a few seconds before narrowing her eyes back at him, now the whole hall were aware of their fight and were listening intently.


“That’s different!” She shook her head a little.

“How?! How is it different? Tit for tat, my darling!” Discord didn’t realise the sudden silence of the watching hall or the eyes of the ponies, there was only him and Celestia.

“Because unlike you I’m important!” As soon as she said that she knew she had phrased it wrong. Discord stumbled a little and his face looked slightly pained before looking angry again.

“Oh, that stings! You’re saying because you’re Little-Miss-Princess you can easily discard me because of ‘royal duties’?! If you can raise the sun and the moon by yourself Luna could do it too so that’s out the window, you’re nothing but a hypocrite!” He folded his arms and looked judgingly at her. “You’re saying I should give up my magic for you but you wouldn’t? Obviously this relationship is very one sided, you pretentious alicorn!”

A small pause. The air felt very heavy, as if it itself was listening in.

“Discord, the fact is that we are two very different ponies.” Celestia’s voice had calmed down a little. “And neither of us is willing to give up magic for this and that’s not a horrible thing. You need to understand however that the reason I wouldn’t give it up isn’t the same as you’re reason. The world needs my magic while your magic is a silly distraction at most.”

“That still stings.”

“It’s a fact. I’m sorry but it is. It would matter more if I had to give up mine.”

“Celestia, what you said just there is the most selfish, self-righteous, pretentious piece of dribble I have EVER heard. Even if it’s true, which it isn’t, you don’t SAY to someone you love that they are less important, less meaningful and less WORTHY than your pretentious flank!” With that he disappeared in a flash of light, leaving Celestia’s own words to hit her.

She didn’t mean for her words to sound so hurtful and patronising, she only wanted to win the argument.

No.

She wanted Discord to not be mad at her for choosing magic over him. Even though she didn’t know a unicorn alive who would think that’s an easy decision.

It’d be like losing a limb, suddenly she realised it was like that for him to but it was too late.

She tried looking for him but he was nowhere in the castle grounds, in the Everfree forest, anywhere.

----------------

A week had passed since their fight. She had given up hope of him coming back.

She had at least hoped he’d come to say goodbye.

The newspapers had run out of things to say about the whole ordeal, ponies in all stretches of her kingdom however still talked about it feverishly wondering where he’d gone.

In truth he planned to come back sooner but it went like this;

‘I’ll go back tomorrow when she’d had time to think about it.’

‘Maybe she’ll need a little more time. I’ll go tomorrow.’

‘What if I’ve given her TOO much time and she’s circled around to being mad at me again? I’ll... Decide what to do tomorrow.’

‘I’ve waited too long, she’s probably thought I’ve left her... Should I go back today? No.. I’ve waited too long to suddenly come back without something to say.’

‘What to say?’

‘I can’t think of anything.’

‘Nothing.’

In the end it took him eight days to muster up the courage to see her again.

Rattattatta.

Celestia glanced at the rattling noise on her window and shot up straight as she saw Discord standing there, waving a little with a small grin on his face.

She opened the window with her magic and waited for an explanation of why he was gone so long, secretly happy as any pony could be at seeing him.

“Celestia. I’ve thought long and hard about this situation and I’ve come up with two solutions... One is that we break up. And never see each other again admitting we we’re never right from the start.” He seemed surprisingly calm saying that, Celestia noticed, she pondered how confident he must be in solution two.

“What about number two?” She muttered, not wanted somepony that had had such an effect on her life to simply vanish like he did after the fight. Discord grinned and stroked her face.

“Run away with me.” Those words left her dumbstruck. Colliding responses battled in her head for dominance as the young mare that had fallen for the beast screamed yes, but the grown alicorn with responsibilities, friends, family.. Yelled no. “Before you say no... Think about it. Sure it’ll be hard and you’ll miss your friends, blah blah, but think about the things we’ll see! The places we could go! You could be my second in command in chaos if you wanted.”

This wasn’t a ‘follow your heart or follow your head’ choice. Part of her heart was in Ponyville, Canterlot, Cloudsdale. She was fighting for words and the prospect of doing something so risky and spontaneous wasn’t helping her find them.

“Discord.. I-I.. I can’t do that... So many people rely on me here. I can’t desert them I mean.. It doesn’t make sense to-”

“What fun is there in making sense? Live on the edge for once. Be chaotic!” He could tell the effect this was having on her and smiled, he was winning over her.

“Discord...” She looked into his eyes. “Ponies would recognise me.”

“No, I could disguise us if he ever entered a town. You could be a brindle pegasus one day and a mauve unicorn the other... I promise Celestia.” His smile was growing wider as he watched her think.

“Discord.. Promise me one thing.” Her voice was small and weak.

“Yes, my dear?”

“Promise I won’t regret it.” She smiled sweetly, Discord could clearly see the young mare he met next to the pond, the mare he snuck around with during the night and danced with under the moon with, he could see the spark in her heart that was yearning for freedom even at a great cost.

“My love, you won’t regret a thing.”

He had her. He had full control over the pesky normal part of her brain. The part that tormented her with normality and regulation.

He had chaotic control.