• Published 30th Sep 2013
  • 1,656 Views, 38 Comments

Caged Panzer - Dark0592



When Twilight is sent to prison, she chooses to fight in mechanized death games to reduce her sentence. Celestia has other plans as well, but whether they are beneficial or not is up for grabs.

  • ...
7
 38
 1,656

Prologue

-So it's choppy, it's kinda disjointed and it's kinda abrupt but I am absolutely terrible at starting stories on a whim like this, those of you who know me know this very well. Either way, though, this is very work in progress so expect the story to change around a lot until we get into a steady rhythm :3-


Twilight looked up at the massive building, her horn and legs in magic dampening chains. It was a Prison, Equestria’s largest and highest security one at that. Why was she being taken to maximum security, you ask? Simple, really. It wasn’t exactly rare anymore, but she killed a group of eight ponies. They were bandits and she had stumbled upon them practically butchering one of her friends, a Changeling, and had lost it.

Now, after the invasion of Canterlot the Changelings finally made peace with Equestria, but so many ponies still thought they were monsters and they were heavily discriminated against even though Celestia personally allowed them almost as many rights as her citizens, and they could become citizens if they so chose.

This Equestria is different than the peaceful world we know. It certainly isn’t some shining utopia anymore, and Twilight was never Sent to Ponyville. She visited and was fond of the ponies there but other than that her only friends were Celestia and Spike.

So here she is, sentenced to life without parole in this place, it doesn’t even have a name. A place of such stature doesn’t need one. Its unofficial name is the ‘Lunar Prison’, though, due to its most dangerous occupant. Little did anyone at this place know, be inmate or guard, Twilight Sparkle was rather dangerous herself.

“Well what have we here? Personal student to the Princess and sentenced to life for murder. How delightfully ironic.” The warden that greeted them said. “My name is Warden, Sir, or Blueblood. I prefer the first two if you wouldn’t mind, and you are now under my jurisdiction. You will do what I say when I say it. Capiche?” The stallion continued. He didn’t look very tough at all, and even though there was a high voltage magic stun baton on his side Twilight wasn’t intimidated in the slightest. Her face registered nothing but boredom.

“Capiche?” Blueblood repeated, getting in her face, the stun baton floated up to her chin.

“I know every single rule and guideline there is to know in this place. I do not do whatever you say when you say it, I follow regulations and don’t cause unnecessary problems. Anything more than that is most certainly not your jurisdiction, that is Celestia’s power and her power alone and you know it.” Twilight said in a monotone voice and simply walked past him to continue with her registration process.

Blueblood growled and swung the activated baton at her, but was dumbfounded when the thing stopped in a lavender veil of magic, Twilight had stopped and was staring at him, her horn glowing without a problem.

“W-What…?” Blueblood stuttered as the thing was wrested from his magical grasp and dropped to the ground.

“Who do you think invented, designed and fine tuned the glyphs you use here? Good day to you, Warden, and please do not fuck with me any more than you have.” She finished and entered the building.

“Probably could have gone for a better choice of words, but whatever.” Another warden said inside, he was waiting at the door.

“So you did transfer over here, Brother. Good to see you.” Twilight said with a smile. Shining chuckled and, his magic enveloping the chains and locks around her, set her free from her bindings.

“You too, though I’d rather you not be inmate number one but here we are. I guess they put all these chains on you for show, anybody with a brain should know they couldn’t do more than inconvenience you for a second or two.” Shining replied. Twilight shrugged and Shining went through a list of questions and information with her when they reached a room with a chair and another door. They finished quickly and Shining went over the rules she already knew.

“Oh and by the way, Celestia is in her Head Warden office right now, she wants to speak to you as soon as you’re situated. You’ll have rooms of two in a block of ten inmates.” He continued, grimacing at his portfolio of her he had.

“Why so small?” Twilight asked.

“Well, of the ten there are three changelings, a hive queen and the old inmate number one… Good luck, you’ll need it.” Shining said.

“Is the food here good at least?” Twilight asked with a sigh. Shining made an ‘ehh’ noise and shook his hoof a little bit. Twilight chuckled and went through the other door after he passed her information to her. She looked at it as she read, but was surprised when instead of the sound of inmates loitering about, there was the sound of machinery and ponies working on them.

There was a massive room with tables, four stories high, where there were plenty of inmates loitering about as expected, but there was what looked like a massive garage door leading into a massive workshop. There were a few other doorways leading into other rooms but she couldn’t see through them. The doors along the sides of the main room lead to the cell blocks of varying size and priority. She was on the first floor, cell block 1A.

She quickly made her way to the door, but found it locked by keypad and/or keycard.

“You must be new, only the big shots get to go in there.” Someone said with a grin. She had wings folded at her back, held there with a strange jacket. Her coat and feathers were blue, her mane and tail were multicolored and messy, she was fairly intimidating and she actually looked like she’d be pretty cool.

Twilight responded by showing her the portfolio with the big 1A on it in red. The pegasus raised an eyebrow and grinned even wider. With a wingtip she plucked a card out of a small slot under the paper.

“Well I’ll be damned.” She said. Twilight took the card in her magic and swiped it, and the door unlocked. “The keycode is 0592, by the way.” The girl said, following Twilight in. “And unfortunately the only open bunk left is on the left side. My name is Rainbow Dash, by the way.” The girl continued. Twilight was about to ask what she meant by ‘left side’, but when they reached the cell corridor she figured it out.

The five-bunk room was covered in the organic material of Changelings, like a hive. Most of it was solid as rock, but she knew their bedding and sleeping pods were incredibly comfortable. She remembered Shining say ‘Hive Queen’ and there was only one hive nearby enough to have their queen incarcerated like this. She entered the room and was immediately greeted with four insectoid forms.

“Not quite sure if it’s good to see you here, Twilight Sparkle, but it’s certainly a pleasure.” One of them said. It was Chrysalis. She and the three other changelings were reclining in four pods in a box pattern on one wall. The last bed, which was also turned into a pod, was in the center of them to create an X patterns. Twilight eyed it.

“That must have taken a lot of effort…” She said, tossing her folder aside and pulling herself into the eye.level thing. It had a membranous rigid cover that slid, which was actually pretty nice, and it was indeed very comfortable and just the right temperature.

“You’re not weirded out about where you’re sleeping?” One of the other changelings asked. Twilight just shrugged.

“Wait, I heard a few things about you recently… Weren’t you the ones who killed the bug swatters?” Another asked. The other two and Chrysalis looked up or down at her, now interested.

“That’s what they called themselves? I didn’t care much to ask. They kidnapped and butchered the first friend I’ve had, so I butchered them… That’s why I’m here and I’m fine with that.” Twilight said, closing her eyes and relaxing. She was utterly surprised when she felt someone drop down into her pod with her. She opened her eyes to see Chrysalis there, standing over her. Carapace covered hooves cupped her face and the queen gently placed her forehead against Twilight’s.

“I owe you all of the thanks I can give you, then… That particular group of ponies had killed hundreds of my brood… My connection to them is weak because of the dampening attributes of this place, but I still felt all of their pain…” She said softly. Twilight sighed and pushed Chrysalis back a bit.

“You have to know I didn’t do it to help you, I didn’t even know. I just snapped on them…” She said. Chrysalis nodded and hopped back up to her pod.

“Of course, but that doesn’t mean what you did meant nothing to me and my brood.” She replied. Twilight smiled at that and closed her eyes again.

“Nictus.” One of the changelings said after a few moments. Before Twilight could ask what she meant, another spoke.

“Cerene.” She said.

“Mantis.” The third said.

“Shade.” The last said.

They were introducing themselves.

“Well that was awkward.” Rainbow Dash’s voice came from the doorway. They all looked to see her with five other mares. There was her, a yellow pegasus with a pink mane, a unicorn with a white coat, an earth pony wearing a stetson, an earth pony that was more pink than cotton candy and lastly a very imposing alicorn with a black coat and a mane and tail seemingly made of the night sky.

“What was awkward?” Chrysalis asked.

“Those introductions of course, Darling. You need to be a bit more formal with it. My name is Rarity, by the way.” The unicorn said.

“I’m Pinkie Pie!” The pink one exclaimed.

“F-Fluttershy…” The other pegasus said softly.

“Th’ name’s Applejack.” The remaining earth pony said.

“You should know who I am.” The alicorn sneered. Twilight sat up and hopped off of her bed/pod.

“Nightmare Moon, bearer of the eternal night, of course I know who you are. I assume you were the previous inmate number one.” She said.

“Indeed, I’ve not a single clue why they would give that priority to you, and I very well intend to find out. Until then, though, I want to know what got you in here.” Moon said. It seemed she was rather proud of her title. She had single handedly rendered all of Equestria’s defensive forces incapacitated and had nearly overthrown Celestia, but that obviously didn’t work out as planned.

“Slaughtered eight ponies after they killed a friend.” Twilight answered simply. Moon laughed.

“Only eight?! Are you shitting me?!” She exclaimed. Twilight chuckled.

“Well, they’re still scraping them off of roofs in Ponyville and Stalliongrad when it was in Canterlot.” She said, looking Moon straight in the eyes. Everyone but the Alicorn gave her a look.

“Hm… Well I guess you’re not quite evil so you wouldn’t just slaughter anyone. I can’t wait to see you in the CP games.” The Alicorn grinned and left.

“CP games?” Twilight asked.

“Caged Panzer games, you saw the workshop. If you can find a team or a pilot, and Celestia thinks you deserve the chance, you can compete in various death games with Caged Panzer. They’re mechanized tanks controlled virtually through a combination of advanced technology and magic receptors. You can find out the details yourself, though by the comment she made I’m guessing she’s going to keep pushing you into it.” Dash explained.

Twilight watched the Alicorn leave and couldn’t help but grin.

“Should be fun, I think. I was the head of the Canterlot Advancement of Magical Technology. I helped develop that technology. Celestia wants to see me anyways, nice meeting you all.” Twilight said before leaving as well.

Shining was waiting outside of the block door. He said nothing, but nodded to her and started walking. She followed him up a set of stairs leading to a single door, where he opened it and she walked through. Celestia was standing there, looking out of a window into the workshop. She turned around and smiled.

“Glad to see you, Twilight.” She said weakly. Twilight cocked her head sideways a bit, she had never heard Celestia’s voice with so much exhaustion. Celestia just smiled at her and motioned for her to sit in front of the desk she proceeded to take a seat behind herself.

“I’m going to be plain and simple here… I want you to find yourself a CP team, assuming you’ve heard what they are, and not lose a single match.” She said after Twilight sat down.

“Oh? Don’t tell me you deactivate all restrictions and inhibitors on the MVRs?” Twilight said. Celestia just gave her a look that said ‘uh huh...’. “Well then why would I risk my head exploding for a death game?” She continued. Celestia sighed and put her head in her hoof before speaking.

“Because I know the official that sentenced you is prejudice against Changelings and gave you an unfair sentence and I know you can handle it. These death games are not without their reward.” She said. Twilight caught something, though.

“So even though you knew all of that, you still let me get life?” Twilight asked. Celestia groaned at her mistake.

“You know that with the way the government is set up I don’t have absolute authority anymore…” She said.

“But you could have demanded an inquiry on the official.” Twilight retorted. Celestia was silent for a full minute.

“I… Have my reasons. You will know in time, but either way you would still be in here for at least fifteen years for sheer brutality, though personally I can’t blame you for what you did. You know I hate putting you through hardships for my own gains, but in most cases like this one my own gains are the gains of Equestria as a whole as well. Trust me, please?” Celestia explained. Twilight thought about and analyzed what she had just heard before sighing.

“Right, fine, whatever. Let’s get back to the subject, CPs… I need a team and I doubt you’ve got a fully functional Panzer just lying around.” She said. Celestia seemed relieved that the subject was changed.

“The team part will be both the easiest and the hardest, you need to be able to trust your team with your life and most, if not all, of the ponies in here are murderers. Due to the nature of this place you have access to all of the funds you have saved up and we will give you contact with suppliers. Find a team, make sure they’re solid, talk to me, get what you need and build a Panzer from scratch.

“Depending on how long the team part takes we can have you in the next match in a week. A team consists of at least five including the pilot. There’s a systems manager, weapon maintenance, engineer and copilot. All of the team needs to know how the Panzer works and how to maintain it.” Celestia explained.

“Copilot?” Twilight asked. Celestia nodded.

“They won’t actually be in there with you, their responsibilities number from tactical advice to navigation and quite a few others.” She answered. Twilight put a hoof to her chin and leaned back.

“Restrictions on what can or cannot be used on the Panzer?” Twilight asked.

“Unless previously specified, none.” Celestia replied. quickly.

“Do we all fight against others in this prison?” Twilight asked.

“There are local, international and world matches and tournaments.” Celestia answered. Twilight thought for another few moments before shrugging and getting up.

“Sure, be back when I find a team.” She said and left before Celestia could get another word in. As she walked down the stairs, though, she realized why finding a team she could trust was going to be one of the hardest parts.

She wasn’t exactly a social butterfly, nor the kind to trust anything that lives.