• Published 29th Sep 2013
  • 1,603 Views, 54 Comments

Midnight Star: The Frozen Empire - Nebula Star



Midnight Star was given a second chance to be happy without the horrors of her memories; but those memories were never truly gone. They are only the beggining of her struggles however, Equestria is about to face a new threat; The Frozen Empire

  • ...
5
 54
 1,603

Chapter 4: An Idea

Midnight Star: The Frozen Empire
By Nebula Star

Part 1: Shadows of the Past
***
Chapter 4: An Idea
***

“Midnight? Hello, Midnight?”

With a start, Midnight looked up at Wind as he waved a wing in front of her. “Sorry,” she said realizing she had completely zoned out.

“You alright?” Wind asked. “You've been out of it all day.”

She grinned self-consciously. “Sorry, I just, there's a lot on my mind.”

The four of them were at the falls again. Midnight hadn't wanted to work on the enchantment this time, she had too many other things on her mind to concentrate on a complex spell. So instead she was just relaxing by the pool with Copper thinking and watching him work on his latest project. It was some kind of tool he was making for somepony, but she hadn't been paying enough attention to figure out what it was for. Meanwhile Wind and Sky had been flying above and through the trees. She hadn't noticed them land.

Sky was looking at her seeming concerned, finally she stepped forward. “Midnight, Did you talk to Twilight?” She asked softly.

Midnight nodded solemnly. “That's why I have a lot to think about...”

Wind looked back and forth between them, realizing he was missing something. “Talk to Twilight about what?”

“Where I came from...” Midnight told him softly. “Before she took me in.”

His eyes widened in surprise. “Did she tell you?”

Midnight nodded again.

“Do you not want to talk about it?” Sky asked noticing how quiet Midnight was being.

“Not right now,” she said, thankful for Sky's insight and understanding. In truth she wasn't sure if she ever wanted to tell her friends where she was from. She was afraid of how they might react to finding out that she's from another world; that she's another version of Twilight.

Wind looked at her seeming concerned a moment more then reached out and touched her shoulder with his wing. “Well, try to cheer up, okay?”

Midnight gave him a smile. “I'll be alright, it's just a lot to think about.”

He nodded that he understood then laid down next to her to rest and Midnight realized his coat had a sheen of sweat.

“What were you doing?” Midnight asked raising an eyebrow at him realizing he had to have been pushing himself pretty hard to work up such a lather. “I didn't hear any rainbooms.”

“He was trying to keep up with me through the trees,” Sky said with a grin as she laid down as well next to Copper; across from Wind and Midnight.

Midnight had to fight herself not to look surprised that Sky would lay by Copper's side. She probably hadn't even thought about it and Midnight had no intention of calling attention to her choice.

Wind trying to match Sky's agility through the trees though, that would explain his exhaustion. He didn't have half the agility his sister had.

Midnight looked over at him grinning. “You really need to work on that.”

He grunted. “Why do you think I've been chasing Sky all morning!”

All three of them laughed at his frustration and he just glared at them though it was clear he was fighting himself not to smile as well.

“Oh, before I forget again, Midnight, do you think you could change the goggle spell on this to activate some other way? I realized yesterday that I often close my wings when I'm doing more complex maneuvers.” Sky said taking off the enchanted necklace and holding it out to her.

“Oh; yeah I guess you do, don't you.” Midnight smiled and took the necklace in her magic. “What do you want to activate it instead?”

“Um, how about just when I say 'goggles on'?” She suggested.

“And 'goggles off' to deactivate?”

She nodded.

“Okay, give me a sec.” Midnight set the necklace down in front of her and first of all, removed the original enchantment. She remembered it well enough that it wasn't hard to design another spell that activated by spoken words instead of a gesture. She cast the revised enchantment and felt it sink into the necklace, then levitated it back to Sky. “There you go, It should only activate or deactivate for whoever's wearing the necklace so nopony else can turn them off on you.”

“Perfect,” Sky said happily, putting the necklace back on. “Goggles on... goggles off.” They all saw the necklace glow and the shimmer in front of her eyes as she tested the new spell. “That'll work great. Thanks, Midnight,” she said satisfied that the new spell was working and Midnight smiled, glad Sky found her work so useful.

She had had a lot on her mind since talking to Twilight, but the more she thought about it, the less the truth of where she was from was really bothering her. She was glad Twilight had brought her here, even if it was an accident. Here she had a wonderful family, great friends, and a bright future. So what if she was another version of Twilight, they weren't the same pony. If anything they were as Twilight had told her when she'd first waken up, like sisters. They had their similarities, but they had their differences too. She'd grown up in Twilight's care though, so while they may have been like sisters before, now, Twilight would always be her mother.

The only thing that worried her about her origin now was what her friends, or anypony else, would think if the truth ever got out. Her friends probably wouldn't care, at least she hoped they wouldn't. She wasn't certain enough however to want to risk finding out. Not just yet.

There was one other thing that was bothering her though: It had been waking from one of her nightmares when she'd found the drawings on the wall. The drawings scared her. She had to have been the one to do them, but that meant she'd done them in her sleep, while she was dreaming. The drawings had led her to the truth of her past, did that mean there was truth to the nightmares as well.

Twilight had said that the evil spirit she'd saved Midnight from had come from her world as well. Could the suffering in her nightmares be her world? If so, then why did it always seem she was the one causing the suffering? If the evil spirit had caused suffering in her world, wouldn't she have been a victim?

“Midnight!”

She looked up realizing she had zoned out again. Sky was looking at her, her eyes full of concern. “Are you sure you're alright?”

“Yes,” she assured her. “I just...” She trailed off, not knowing how she could explain without telling them.

“You know,” Copper said suddenly. “When I have something bothering me, I find it helps if find something to distract myself for a while. Usually by the time I think about it again, I find it's not as big of a deal as I'd been making it out to be.”

Midnight looked over at him, perhaps distracting herself with something else was exactly what she needed. “What do you do to distract yourself.”

He shrugged. “Me, I usually make something for somepony. A gift; something to help them out,” he told her then gestured to the necklace Sky was wearing. “You have you're new enchantment spell, why don't you use it to make something special for somepony?”

“Like what?” Midnight asked.

“I don't know; think of somepony that has a problem, then try to find a way to fix it for them.” He smiled. “Trust me, nothing feels better than doing something special for somepony to help them out.”

It was an idea; it would be nice if she could distract herself from thoughts of her past or the nightmares for a while, but what could she do? Who did she know that had a problem that she could fix with magic? It would have to be a simple spell, something that didn't require the pony to control it. It would also have to be for a pegasus or earth pony; a unicorn could just use their own magic after all. But what could she do? Most of what they'd thought of were simple if useful tools like the goggles or the light spell on Copper's magnifier. They were nice conveniences, but not really anything special.

“I'll have to think about it,” she said finally.

“Well, while you do that, I'm going to go for another flight!” Sky said getting to her hooves again. She clearly hadn't been as exhausted as her brother after their earlier exercise. “You going to join me, Wind?”

He just snorted and shook his head.

Sky grinned. “Goggles on,” she said to activate the spell on her necklace, Then she launched herself without a moment's hesitation and was soon indulging in some playful acrobatics above the trees.

Midnight smiled as she and the others watched her. Any pegasi would certainly like the goggles spell. Most didn't bother with protective eye-wear for typical day to day flying, but if it were as simple as saying a couple words to protect their eyes from the wind... Well, she didn't doubt that every pegasi in town would want her to make them such enchanted items once word of her spell got out. Though the stallions would likely want something other than a necklace.

She grinned imagining Wind wearing a necklace, and a gown for good measure.

Something that simple wasn't special enough though... it had to be something for somepony specifically. Who did she know, pegasi or earth pony, that had a unique problem. A problem that she could fix with magic.

Midnight looked up again as Sky started into a corkscrew high above, folding her wings momentarily as she was upside down then snapping them open again ending the maneuver in an impossibly sharp turn. She sighed watching her friend effortlessly conquer the sky. She couldn't help but feel envious of the pegasi. Flight alone was almost enough to make her want to become an alicorn like Twilight. It was a privilege that all pegasi enjoyed... all but one.

Midnight's eyes widened as an idea came to her. “Scootaloo...” She whispered softly.

“What was that?” Wind asked looking over at her.

She didn't answer, she was too deep in thought as the idea that had just occurred to her took shape. She grinned. “I have an idea, but I need to make sure it will work first!” She told them at last getting to her hooves.

“You going back to town then?” Copper asked.

She nodded. “I need to do some research, ask some questions.”

“What's your idea?” Wind asked sounding curious.

Midnight just grinned. “You'll see. Let me make sure it will work first, then I'll probably need you or Sky to help me test it,” she said then she gave them a wink. “See you later.” And with that there was a flash from her horn, and she teleported herself directly back to the edge of town. She wanted to get started on her idea as soon as possible, but she did have to make sure it would work first.

To find out what she needed to know, she could of course just ask Scootaloo, but she wanted it to be a surprise. She'd have to ask somepony else who would know and she could only think of one that might. Unfortunately it was the one pony she had never gotten along with very well, that had always seemed to dislike her: Rainbow Dash.

Midnight didn't know what Rainbow held against her, but the famous pegasus had never cared for her. She wasn't openly hateful toward her, nothing like that. She was just always so cold, as if she were tolerating Midnight, but had no desire to be her friend.

Midnight tried not to let it bother her, but being so disliked by one of her Mother's closest friends wasn't easy to just shrug off. Rainbow was the one that would have the answers she needed though, so with determination she went to seek out the Wonderbolts' Captain.

Rainbow had fulfilled her life long dream of joining the Wonderbolts the year after Midnight had first come to live in Ponyville. Being based in Cloudsdale, only a short flight away for Rainbow, she had chosen to continue living in Ponyville, though she did travel with the team quite often.

Then, after nearly six years on the team, she had become Captain when Spitfire had retired, naming Rainbow as her successor. There had been some grumbling among the more senior members of the team at the decision, but in the four years since she'd managed to prove herself as a capable leader.

Even with the responsibilities of running the famous flight team, Rainbow had continued to live in Ponyville for several reasons, not the least of which was to stay near her friends.

Just because she still lived in Ponyville however, did not mean that she was in town at the moment, nor did it mean she would be easy to find even if she was in town. The only thing Midnight had in her favor was that she knew for a fact that the Wonderbolts didn't have any shows scheduled for over a month and they normally trained in the mornings.

After asking around, she found several ponies that had seen Rainbow in town earlier but as to where she was now, they had no idea. Finally though she ran into Pinkie Pie and she'd told Midnight that Rainbow was on the north edge of town doing some 'super stupendous tricks'.

She hurried through the town hoping that Rainbow was still there. She didn't see any sign of her though as she reached the open fields on the edge of town. She did however find another unicorn she knew well and who might be able to help.

“Hey Valor!” She called as she approached.

He turned at the sound of his name and smiled, “Hey there, Midnight.”

Captain of the royal guard, Valor Spellbound was in fact the captain over Twilight's personal guard and had been for over two years. When Midnight had first met him he'd been extremely formal and disciplined, especially around her and Twilight. Since then however he'd loosened up and proven to be just what Twilight wanted for the captain of her guard. He rarely wore his armor anymore except at formal events and had learned to keep a casual demeanor the rest of the time.

With a sleek strength he'd gained from years training in the royal guard, he was a handsome unicorn. His coat, blue grey in color was complimented well by his mane and tail that were various shades of red; both of which he'd let grow out longer in recent months, giving him a more carefree appearance that matched his change in attitude. His eyes though were a deep blue, contrasting sharply with his mane and tail.

His talent was in the use and development of combat magic which had made him invaluable as a royal guard and was part of the reason Twilight had requested him to be captain of her personal guard.

“What brings you out here?” He asked, smiling.

“I was actually looking for Rainbow,” Midnight told him. “Is she around?”

He laughed. “Midnight, you should know by now where to look for Rainbow,” he said grinning then nodded skyward.

Midnight looked up and finally spotted Rainbow. She was just a blur as she zipped across the sky, leaving a multicolored contrail in her wake. “I didn't see her when I was walking up...” Midnight told Valor glad to have found Rainbow.

“They didn't have training today, but Rainbow wanted to get in some high-speed exercises anyway,” Valor explained. “Did you need to talk to her?”

She nodded. “I have a question and I think she's the only one who might be able to answer.”

“Alright, I'll get her for you...” Valor said, grinning. Then he turned and walked out a little ways into the field looking up as Rainbow was making another pass. Just as she was passing over Valor though, his horn glowed and Rainbow let out a yelp as she was dragged to a stop and then yanked downward by Valor's Magic. Just before she reached the ground he slowed her decent and set her down firmly but without injury.

Rainbow rounded on him as soon as he'd released her from his magic and lunged at him. “Don't... do... that!” She shouted pounding his shoulder with each word. He just took it grinning as she clearly wasn't trying to hurt him, just like she really didn't want him to stop. Then she grinned as well, looking into his eyes, and they kissed.

Midnight blushed and looked away it was such a passionate kiss. She didn't say anything though; they were married after all.

It had been a surprise to everypony when Rainbow had announced three years ago that she was getting married. Even more surprising to her friends was who she was marrying. They'd all met Valor by then, but they'd had no idea that he and Rainbow were in any kind of relationship. They'd seemed so different at the time. Valor, a strict and disciplined captain of the guard, and Rainbow, the carefree and often reckless new captain of the Wonderbolts.

Midnight knew that they'd first met when Rainbow had gone for basic training. The Wonderbolts were after all part of the guard, and so any new recruits had to go through basic training, no exceptions. Valor, then a lieutenant, had been in charge of the group of recruits that Rainbow had been in. Many would have given up on Rainbow's lazy and insubordinate attitude and sent her home, but Valor hadn't. He'd taken it upon himself to teach Rainbow discipline, and she'd hated him for it.

Other than that they didn't meet again until years later, only Rainbow and Valor really knew how they'd come together after that, but one thing was clear to all their friends: They balanced each other. Valor had taught Rainbow the discipline she'd needed to succeed in her dream, and she in turn had taught him to relax at times and have fun.

It had been shortly after their wedding that Twilight had requested Valor to be assigned as the captain of her personal guard. Twilight's way of making sure Rainbow kept living close by; but at the same time, he'd been the best choice of all the captains for what Twilight had wanted.

They'd had to buy a normal home however as Valor, of course, couldn't live in Rainbow's old cloud home. They actually lived just down the road from the Library now.

With both being captains and having a great deal of responsibilities, they often were pulled away from each other, sometimes for days or weeks at a time. It was for that reason that they liked to spend every moment together they could.

Likely also due to their careers, they didn't have any children yet and had given no indication that they were planning to anytime soon.

Rainbow gave Valor one last smile, then jumped down, pulling her hooves from around his neck. “So why the hay did you pull me down this time?” She asked grinning.

Valor nodded over his shoulder. “Midnight wanted to talk to you.”

She glanced past him to Midnight and her smile fell. “Oh...” She said, her voice making it painfully clear she didn't really want to talk to her. She jumped up flying past Valor however and stopping to hover just in front of her. “What is it, Midnight?”

Knowing that Rainbow had no desire for small talk she got right to the point. “I have an idea of something I want to do for Scootaloo, something special, a gift. But I wanted to make sure it would work first. I want it to be a surprise though so I couldn't ask her... and I didn't want to embarrass her.”

“Then maybe you shouldn't be asking,” Rainbow told her bluntly.

Midnight sighed. “It's about her wings, If they were normal sized, are they strong enough to fly?”

Rainbow folded her fore-hooves across her chest continuing to hover in front of Midnight. “Why?”

“Rainbow, please...”

She looked at Midnight a few moments more suspiciously before finally answering. “Her wings themselves are barely smaller than normal, it's her primary feathers that never grew to more than half size.”

“Are they strong enough to fly though? If they were normal sized?” Midnight persisted.

“Scootaloo works her wings harder than any other pegasus I know, including me. I have no doubt they'd be strong enough if they were normal sized,” Rainbow told her finally and Midnight grinned, it would work then. “What are you planning?” Rainbow demanded seeing her grin.

“I'm going to make a very special gift for Scootaloo. Something unique that I think she's going to love. Copper gave me the idea,” She said turning to go.

“Oh no! I am not going to let you rig Scootaloo up with one of Copper's crazy contraptions!” Rainbow objected, cutting her off.

Midnight just laughed at Rainbow's opinion of her friend's inventions. “Don't worry, Rainbow, he gave me the idea, but what I have in mind is far more magical.”

She looked doubtful still, but didn't try to stop her again as Midnight stepped around her. “I'd better not hear about Scootaloo getting hurt!” She called after her.

“I'll test it first, I'd never do anything that could hurt Scootaloo,” Midnight assured her. “Trust me, Rainbow, she's going to love it! But remember, it's suppose to be a surprise, so don't say anything!” Then Midnight hurried off, heading to one of the jewelry shops in town. She wanted this to be special, so she wasn't going to make it out of a cheap simple necklace.

~~~

Rainbow watched Midnight as she trotted at a quick pace back into town. She knew she didn't have to worry about Midnight intentionally harming Scootaloo, but experimenting with magic was dangerous... Midnight herself was proof enough of that.

“You know, I've never understood why you don't like Midnight. She is your best friend's daughter after all. Even if she is adopted,” Valor said coming up behind her.

Rainbow landed and turned to see his questioning expression. She never had told him the truth about Midnight, the subject had never come up. Stepping close, she gave him a quick kiss. “I'll tell you later,” she said softly. “It's not something we should discuss in public.” She didn't think Twilight would mind her telling Valor; he was her husband after all, he could be trusted.

He nodded accepting what she was implying; that there were secrets involved. “You going to practice some more, or have you had enough?”

She smiled and turned back toward town. She use to fly everywhere she went. But these days, she'd come to enjoy relaxing walks; with Valor's company anyway. “I think I'm good.”

He fell into step beside her. “You always think you're good, what else is new?” He said with a grin.

She just slapped the back of his head with her wing.

Author's Note:

So... surprise!

I'll admit I was tired of all the fics that put Rainbow together with Soarin or one of the other wonderbolts. Frankly I don't see relationships within a team of extremely competitive ponies lasting very long. I also thought that Rainbow really needed somepony that would counter her recklessness and laziness as well as her insubordinate attitude. True she's always loyal, but that doesn't mean she likes to follow orders. I designed Valor as a character to be what I thought Rainbow would need.

The courtship of Rainbow and Valor will remain mostly vague in this story as it is not important to the plot; I do have a basic idea of how it would have gone, but I've never considered myself a romance writer; so I probably won't be writing the full story.