• Published 28th Sep 2013
  • 4,606 Views, 212 Comments

Zaps Apple - Electuroo



A young colt with no memories of who or what he was, with only the nightmares of the darkness that took everything away, only to find the light of escape to whole new beginning...

  • ...
15
 212
 4,606

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 6: Bunnies and Watering Cans

Zaps Apple
Chapter 6: Bunnies and Watering Cans

The wind and the speed, this is sweet. Time to show my stuff and get to Sweet Apple Acres on the double! Sweetie Belle was most likely on her way there too. I zip pass a few ponies doing some of my tricks on my scooter. I was still thinking about Zaps since last night, he was so new to everything that it just felt weird. I slowed down by Golden Oak's Library and looked to it, I thought about Zaps not knowing much about Equestria...

“I wonder...” I got off my scooter walking over to the door giving it a knock

“Coming!” the door opened. Twilight stood there with a smile “Morning Scootaloo what brings you to the library this morning?”

I walked in. “Oh I came by to see if I could pick up anything for a friend of mine. He rather new to Ponyville and kind of Equestria... and lots of other things.”

Twilight frown at me. “He’s from outside Equestria?” She questioned incredulously.

“Erm... I’m really not sure...”

“Scootaloo what’s going on?” Twilight closed the door behind her.

I took my helmet off placing it on the side. “It kind of hard to explain...”

Twilight sat down at her table “What exactly hard to explain about this pony?”

“You see... urm... well...” I felt rather warm all the sudden not quite sure what to say then I just sighed.

Twilight still had a questionable look upon her face. “Well?”

“I found him in Applejack's barn yesterday and he has no memories of who he is or where he came from, and the fact is I even had to give him his name and help him to even learn to eat at a table with my friends. That and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about him since last night!” I said rapidly and fast to Twilight Sparkle, when I finished I took a deep breath.

Twilight smiled. “It seem you have a crush.~”

“What!? Please! I am not that sappy! I just want to really help him out! I want to do whatever it takes to help him!” I protested. “Like Rainbow Dash says! 'I never leave a pony hangin’!' and that what I plan to do! I want to really really help him out! That all!”I insisted, probably a bit too loudly than I should have.

Twilight put her front hooves up. “Ok, I get it Scootaloo, you don't need to explode on me.” She smiled softly. “So you gave him his name huh?” I nod. “Interesting, especially how that a colt around your age found himself in the barn in the first place.”

“Oh! About that... erm I forgot to say that he awoke in the middle of the Everfree Forest first and had a close escape from some Timberwolves.” I laughed nervously.

She stared at me when I said it. “Say what?”

“Uh, well his first memories were of some darkness of a nightmare and then waking up under Zap Apple Trees!” I said while feeling slightly annoyed.

She walked back and forwards now before me. “Strange... I never got a letter from Princess Celestia or Luna about this... something like this happening I thought I would of heard about it specially sudden appearance of a colt in the Everfree Forest...”

I watched as she went into one of her 'egghead modes' and rolled my eyes half the things she was saying now was getting really cheesy and boring that all I could hear was 'blah blah blah'... so I went to a book shelf and looked at all the books, I saw one that caught my eyes Recent Equestria Addition Encyclopedia I pulled it out and turn to the back of the book. “Newest update of maps, history and events that taken place in the last 1000 years.” I whispered. “Might be a bit egg headed but if it help Zaps out then I'll take it!”

Twilight was standing over me when she spoke. “Ah, I see you found the newest addition to my library!”

“AH!” I jumped back. “What the hay Twilight!?”

“Sorry, I was rambling on and noticed you weren’t paying attention to what I was saying.” Twilight looked to the book and back me. “About this colt, where exactly is he right now?”

I forgot to tell her his name and put a hoof to my head. “His name is Zaps, Twilight, and he’s over at Sweet Apple Acres. Big Macintosh and Granny Smith both agreed that he could stay on the farm till further notice, that’s where I was going until I stopped here.” I explained to her.

Twilight got up and called out to up the stairs. “Spike! Spike!”

Spike, I saw came down the steps a moment later. “What is it Twilight? I was about to have one of my bubble baths.” First thing that came to my mind when he said it was a 5 to 7 hours long bubble bath and I just rolled my eyes.

Twilight also rolled her eyes with wings flared open. “Good thing I did call then, your bubble baths usual take anywhere from 5 to 7 hours easy...” She turned to me. “I need a letter sent to Princess Celestia at once about a young colt named Zaps, from what Scootaloo told me this colt found himself with little or no memories before waking up in the Everfree Forest.”

Spike just stood there with a few blinks “Something like that would have been noticed by the princess right?”

I just shrugged “Beats me, I just found him in the barn but Luna spoken to him in the dreams.”

“WHAT!?” I covered my ears instantly as Twilight yelled out at me. “Princess Luna already spoken to him via his dreams!? Why didn't you tell me in the first place!?”

I slowly uncovered my ears from the ringing I got from her outburst. “It slipped my mind.” I grinned sheepishly at Twilight.

She groaned while putting a hoof to her head. “And I had to learn of this from you Scootaloo...” She turned back to Spike. “Please write a letter at once to both princesses.”

“Ok!” he went over to the stand taking a quill and scroll. “Ready, Twilight!”

“Dear Princess Celestia and Luna, I have learned from Scootaloo, a young filly who lives in Ponyville, about a young colt that awoke with no knowledge of whom he is or where he came from, from what I can guess he found his way out of the Everfree Forest and onto the farm of Sweet Apple Acres where he currently a resident to as well.

I also found out that Princess Luna had contact with Zaps via his dreams for the last few days and maybe responsible to aiding his escape from the forest. I do not know much at this time and will press on with an investigation on the matter at hoof, but I do like to know if it alright to do so since this a young colt about the age of some of the youngsters that live within Ponyville.

I await your reply.

Your Former Student,

Princess Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight finished saying what needed to be said for the letter and turned to Spike.

“Got it all down Twilight, shall I send it?”

“Please do.” Spike rolled it up and blew his flame through it burning it up in the green flames.

My eyes lit up seeing it in action. “Now that’s something! I wonder if us crusaders could send a letter to Princess Celestia on how to get our cutie marks?” I got a look from Twilight that made me gulp. “Or maybe not?” I laughed nervously rubbing my head a little.

Twilight sighed but picked up the book with her magic and we followed her out of the library. “Use my cart to carry the book back to Sweet Apple Acres, just bring it back in one piece, please.” She put the book into the cart and attached it to my scooter. “Me and Spike will most likely be around later today to meet Zaps for a friendly visit, I won't press the matter unless the princesses believe I should.”

I got my helmet on after Spike gave it to me. “Thanks, Spike”

“No problem.” Spike replied and I turn to Twilight

“Alright Twilight, I promise to bring it back in one piece. I’ll see you at Sweet Apple Acres, later on.” I got onto my scooter. “Thanks for letting me borrow this book!”

“I am always willing to help Scootaloo.” I smirked with a salute and with that I rapidly flapped my wings and soon I was on my way back to Sweet Apple Acres, I waved back to them on the way out.

As I got closer to Sweet Apple Acres I could hear singing which sounded like Granny Smith and Applejack when I got closer to the farm. I couldn't believe my eyes. I stopped my scooter right between Rainbow Dash and Apple Bloom. I instantly took my helmet off staring at Applejack singing to the watering cans... and hopping over them like a bunny?

I stared at what I was seeing; I was half expecting Apple Bloom to be doing this since I did help out last time with Granny Smith with my friends but this... Applejack in a big blue bunny suit jumping over water cans singing A,B,C to it... “Rainbow what gonna on?”

Rainbow Dash chuckled. “Applejack's punishment for scaring Zaps last night.”

“Wow... so who’s idea was it for Applejack to sing to the watering cans?” I was still a little surprised seeing Applejack and wondering about the punishment. Then I saw Zaps trying to copy them in another bunny suit but as he did two jumps he fell flat on his face. “Zaps?”

He got up rubbing his snout a little. “I'm not so good at this...” He sighed then turned to me. “Oh, hi Scootaloo. Don't I look cool?” He smiled looking over himself in the bunny suit. “This red one Granny Smith had in spare and said I could try doing this singing the watering cans thing.”

Zaps rather looked silly in it but this is the best mood I seen since I found him yesterday. “You look amazing!” I replied. “So Applejack scared ya?”

“Huh uh. But she said sorry and she’s doing this with me to make up for what happened. That’s what she said anyway.” Zap rubbed his head with his hoof covered in the bunny paw suit. “After doing this, Big Macintosh said I can come with him to help water the zap apple trees with these cans.”

Granny Smith turned to Zaps. “Well wipper snapper give us a hoof then.”

“Ok.” Zaps turn to me “Wan’t to help?”

I shrugged. “Yeah why not, better than doing nothing.”

Rainbow Dash put a set of bunny ears over my head. “That the spirit Scoots, have fun!”

Funny thing, that’s exactly what happened. Me and Apple Bloom joined in to help sing and jump over the watering cans with Zaps, Granny Smith and Applejack. We were having an amazing time, even Zaps fell over a few times and I did as well. It was all in good fun to help out for the Zap Apple Harvest.

'I wonder if the Zap Apple Jam will taste even better than last year?' I thought as we finished doing the little hop and sing to the cans. Big Macintosh loaded the cans onto the cart turning to Applejack. “Don't wait on my part Big Mac, ah’ll be there soon as ah get this thing off.” I watched Big Macintosh help get the costume off Zaps then hoofed it to Applejack. “See yer two at the trees!” Applejack turn and trotted back into the house with Granny Smith and Apple Bloom.

Rainbow Dash stood by the wagon looking at it “Scootaloo why do you have a book like this?” she pulled it out showing it to me. “Isn't it kind of an egghead book?”

“Yeah I know, Rainbow.” I giggled nervously. “It’s to help Zaps since he doesn’t know anything about Equestria and what happened, like you and the others being the awesome element bearers!” I explained why I had that book in the first place. “Also the wagon is Twilight's I promised to bring it back to her in one piece..”

Rainbow Dash put a hoof to me. “That swell Scootaloo, great to see somepony looking out for Zaps.” I smiled seeing she was happy with what I was doing. “Now why don't you go join him and help, if Sweetie Belle come’s by I will let her know where you are.”

I kept my smile. “Sure, thanks Rainbow!” I was about to run off then turn to the wagon. “What about...”

“Don't sweat it, I'll take care of this stuff and you go help them.” Rainbow Dash stood by my scooter tapping it with her hoof.

I gave her a swift nod and galloped after the others. “Thanks Rainbow Dash!” I called out as I left her to take care of my things. I had some catching up to do, 'I wish I learned to fly already! It so annoying that I can't...'

I arrived at the zap apple trees to just find Big Macintosh with Zaps with a large cart full of watering cans. “Big Mac are we going to water all of them with these?” Zaps asked while tapping one of the cans with his hoof.

“Eeyup, it part of how we make zap apple jam, when we finish we will get one of our spare jars out so ya can try some on bread.” Big Macintosh said to Zaps with a warm smile putting a hoof to his head.

I saw Zaps looking over excited over helping Big Mac, I didn't see any fun in doing this, I rather be crusading for my cutie mark rather than watering some tree, but if it means helping Zaps out I can bite I guess... “Hey could I leand a hoof?” I called out walking up to the two earth ponies.

Big Mac gave me a strange look. “Ya want to help water the zap apples? That rather strange of ya Scootaloo...” Big Mac was giving me a real questionable look now walking around me with a stern stare with his green eyes.

Zaps spoke up. “Maybe Scootaloo just wanted to help me? I did notice that book in that wagon she had..”

’He saw that thing!? Great now he is going to call me...’

“I don't really know why she wants to, but isn't help, help?” He asked.

Big Mac turned to Zaps then back to me. “Hmm... Eeyup!” he turned around, heading over to the wagon. “Very well, ya’all can help but none of your crazy crusader ideas.” he turned his head slightly to me looking at me with the corner of one of his eyes.

I put my hoof over my head. “Yes sir! Understood sir!”

Zaps watched me and looked at his own hoof then copied me “What exactly does this mean? Putting your hoof over your head like this?”

“Oh it just means I’m saluting him and that I understand what he meant and will do what he asked...” he blinked at me. “It means also means he is the boss and I have to take orders from him.”

Zaps turned back to Big Mac “Is that right?”

“Eeyup, now come along yer’ two, ah’d like to get started before Applejack get back from the house.” Big Mac took a look around. “Ya two will work on these trees, tip the can and use only about a quarter of the water from it, it should be more than enough. Understood?”

Zaps look into the watering can then at the tree “Wouldn't they need more water than that? They look rather big…”

“Normal they would but they magical trees.” Big Macintosh replied putting a hoof to one. “Never buck one or ya get shocked.”

I remembered what happened to Sweetie Belle and started to laugh. “Hehe funny you say that, Apple Bloom warned Sweetie Belle and she got zapped when bucking one.” I laughed a bit more.

Zaps gave a confused look at me when I was laughing. “But I bucked one in annoyance after hurting my front leg and didn't get shocked, but nothing happened to the tree either.” My laughter disappeared as I stared at him so did Big Macintosh.

“Ok, buck the tree.” I wanted to see this for myself.

Big Macintosh raised his hoof. “Not right now, Scootaloo, ah’m curious about this as ya are, but we got to water these trees before this afternoon when the next storm blows over. Also you are the one who asked to help out.”

I sighed. “Fine... after ok?”

“Eeyup!” Big Macintosh put the watering can before us. “Now ya two start with these trees.”

“Yes sir!” I saluted

Zaps look to the can the back at him. “Erm... ok, so how do we use this?”

I smacked a hoof to my head. “Let me show you Zaps and then we work together on each one ok?”

“Alright, Scootaloo.” Zaps watched me and I felt rather nervous from that, but I pulled it over using my mouth while dragging it, then I tipped it a little letting some of the water out of the can onto the tree before pulling it back. I wiped my head. “Wow that’s tougher than I thought it would be and not so much fun either... I can't believe I am doing farm work... if...” I turn to see Zaps listening to me.

'Gah! I can't give him a bad impression... just act cool'

Zaps came up beside them. “Guess Big Mac put us together for a reason then; they do look heavy when filled with water. Maybe working together we can do it easier.” His idea was sound but boy it was so boring...

Zaps and I moved the can to the next tree lifting it and pouring it on. “Only two trees and I'm already bored out of my mind...” I groaned. “And it a lot of hard work...”

“Because it is sugarcube, it not a simple instant to do task, ya just goin' to have to put up with it.” we turn to see Applejack standing there before us. “How about this, if ya two water these trees here before we do the other three quarters, ah will personally take both of ya and the other girls on a whirl wind tour Crystal Empire for a few days. After zap apple harvest though.”

“Seriously!? You’re not pulling my leg!” I beamed at this chance. “I heard that the Wonderbolts are going to be there next week!”

Zaps gave both of us a confused look. “What the Wonderbolts and what is this Crystal Empire?”

I put a hoof around him. “Two of the coolest things around, so how about we win this race and get that award!”

Zaps smiled looking to me. “We have to do it right. Right Applejack?” he turned to her.

“Indeed sugarcube. Besides, we a bit behind as it is, so a game would make the job go a little faster and with ya youngin' helping me and Big Mac we be done in time.” Applejack cross over her left hooves over her right. “So children up for the challenge?” Big Mac now stood by her with both mare and stallion smirking at us.

I turn to Zaps. “Are you in Zaps?”

“Ok, I'll give it my best shot…” Zaps replied with an unsure voice, I could easily guess he’s not sure why we are doing this, but he was going to go along with it which made it even sweeter to know.

“Sound like somepony doing a bit of a competition, may I be the judge?” We all turn to see Twilight with Spike on her back.

Zaps looked to her and points. “Hey you’re a Alicorn like the night guardian Luna, are you related to her?”

Twilight almost fell at this and gasped. “Well not really, but since my brother is married to Cadance and she is kind of the niece of Luna, I guess you could say I am.” she then smiled “You must be Zaps, I heard about you from Scootaloo here.” He nodded in reply.

“Howdy Twi, Spike” Applejack came up to them. “Zaps, ah like ya to meet mah good friends Twilight Sparkle and Spike.”

“Hi Zaps!” Spike waved at him.

Zaps looked at his claw hands then at his own fore hoof and furrowed his brow. “Why does he have strange shaped hooves?” Spike started to laugh but stopped after receiving a glare from Twilight. “Did I say something wrong?” He blinked

Twilight shook her head “Not at all, he has claws; he is a baby dragon and my number one assistant”

“Dra-dr-dra...g...g...” He tried to say it

“Dr-ag-gon..” He continued to stutter.

Zaps kept trying to repeat what Twilight said “Drag-dragon...”

“Correct!” Spike gave him a thumbs up. “So what about this race huh?”

“Oh right, ya two can judge.” Applejack replied turning to Big Mac. “Fine by ya brother?”

“Eeyup!”

Zaps spoke up while walking around some of the trees looking at them curiously. “So this race... does it mean we have to do our part faster than they do their part, and we win this award?” He stopped and turns to me.

I walked up to him putting a hoof out. “That right, so let do our best!”

“Alright.” he put his hoof against mine then he turned his head to the trees. “Maybe we could use less water then they put on some of the trees, for… some reason I feel a connection to them.”

“Huh?” I blinked a few times and raised my right eye a little.

Twilight smiled as Applejack and Big Mac didn't seem to hear this. “You could be right Zaps, Earth Ponies do have a connection to the ground and the lands, you just don't know it because of what happened.”

“Yeah and use your instincts.” Spike also suggested. “And what feels right in here.” he put his claw hand on his chest.

Zaps tilt his head a little “Erm... your chest?”

Spike fell over getting a laugh from me and Twilight. “No silly” I said putting my hoof to his chest feeling the pulse of his own heart. “Your heart, follow the feel that you have to the land, I might think this all egghead stuff is boring but when you have two friends that an Earth Pony and Unicorn, and all of us getting our cutie marks... well trying, it best to know these things I guess” I explained to him removing my hoof from his chest. “Like to say it?”

“Say what?”

“Ready?”

“For what?”

“CUTIE MARK WATERING ZAP APPLES CRUSADERS! YAY!” I began and he got caught up in it with me making me even say it louder, at the end both of us were saying it making me get a very warm smile. “Great one Zaps, we’ll make you a crusader for sure!”

He was laughing and looked very happy. “I could go with that, I really enjoy saying it!”

“Ah yer two done or we can get into positions?” Applejack spoke to us.

I turn and put a hoof out. “Sure Applejack, let the best ponies win!” I put my hoof out.

“Try to have fun also, win or lose we will be doing our best.” Applejack replied putting her hoof against mine and we shook in friendship. Apple Bloom's sister is pretty darn cool, no wonder Rainbow Dash spend a lot of time competing against her.

Soon Twilight stood between us and the adults. “Are you all ready?” we all nod “Then get set!” we stood ready and able.

“GO!” Spike yells and the contest begins with me and Zaps racing to the first watering can to drag pick it up together and carry it over to the first tree while we say Applejack and Big Macintosh got a head start on us easily. They were already carrying the watering cans in their mouths moving to their second tree each while we just started on our first.

But one thing was for sure, we tipped less water into it just as Zaps suggested, I was going blind on this with an Earth Pony who had almost no memories but if one thing I learned from my friends and Rainbow Dash and that is to trust in your friend's instincts when it really matters most. And this really did!

Author's Note:

First I like to thank my friend Cold Spike for checking over this chapter for me and just before the expo in London this weekend too. I really enjoying how this is coming out so far and for those that enjoyed it so far, I feel great seeing that you guys and girls really liking this story of mine.

I will continue to work on it and keep you readers happy as best I could and enjoy it too.

Well enjoy everypony!

Electuroo

PreviousChapters Next