• Published 29th Sep 2013
  • 2,079 Views, 43 Comments

Breach - DamnToasty



After a failed test of a prototype propulsion system, Captain Alex Ronen of the United Global Federation is stranded in unknown space with no way of contacting home.

  • ...
11
 43
 2,079

Prologue

Breach

Prologue

Written by: RobertBel98

Edited by: Trials

“…Space, as I have come to discover, is one of the few things that words truly cannot describe. Now, I could spend hours on end rehashing numerous poetic depictions of the seemingly infinite plane, but I would never be able to paint the complete picture. You know that old saying that a picture is worth a thousand words? Well, concerning this work of art. It is worth much more. You would truly need to see it, no, experience it for yourself to genuinely understand. And once you do you never want to leave it.

“It’s like a drug, sending serene signals of happiness through your mind. That feeling…that enlightened peace that you are truly gazing upon the canvas of time’s masterpiece. You just want to reach out and grab it. Hold it in your hands. Absorb it so you can truly know all the secrets that it keeps, waiting to be unlocked. But if I have learned one thing in my life, you must be patient, because even the most beautiful things can morph into something insidious, driving you to madness.

“The universe truly is an enigma. A puzzle that even when it seems to be solved, only crumbles beneath your feet and waits for you to put the pieces back together again. And we all want to see it finished. I know for certain that I won’t be there to witness its completion, that blessing will wait for greater men than me. But what I can do is pave the road for them.

"We really do stand on the shoulders of giants, and I wish to someday be among them, ready and willing to support our future generations in their grand journey to an enlightened, unified, universe…”

I lowered the ancient tome from my adoring eyes as I took a soft breath. These words had left my lips on many occasions, but I was always impacted by the same sense of admiration. There was such a strong passion that burned within this book, a fire that was rekindled every time it graced my mind. It saddened me that I was the only one who could truly appreciate it.

“Reading that old tome again, sir?” The familiar monotone voice tore me from my concentration.

Without moving, I acknowledged. “Yes, or at least I was,” I replied, in a somewhat bothered tone. “Shouldn’t you be running the system diagnostics, Andrew?” Andrew was the only sentient company I had aboard this flying metal husk. He was cold and calculating, like any computer, I guess. Even so, It was better than solitude, simply being alone in this endless expanse of darkness, with nothing to occupy my mind other than the bleak, blinking lights, and cold, mechanical sounds. I knew what that could do to a man, and it was not pretty.

Andrew had been integrated into the ship’s network to regulate all the computer systems. Me, well I was a guinea pig, a test pilot, a variable in an experiment. My only purpose on this ship was so those ‘experts’ down in the lab had something to jot down in their little data logs. I…was expendable. It wasn’t exactly the best position to be in, but I really didn’t have a say in the matter. Orders are orders, as they say. At least I lived an exciting life.

“I have already completed the system diagnostics, and everything seems to be working as it should. I have also begun charging the reactor cores. Once that is done I will be able to begin the power transfer from the fusion reactors into the Gravity Drive.” The Gravity Drive; the most expensive piece of engineering to come out of a human mind to date. This propulsion system can supposedly bend space, causing some sort of miniature black hole to open. When the ship passes through this black hole, it can be transported anywhere in the universe, all in the blink of an eye. Or at least that’s what they told me it does. Anything past that description was beyond me, which really didn’t aid my confidence in it.

“Thanks for the update. And is that all, because I’d like to be left alone,” I requested, still irked from the interruption.

“Actually, I also came to advise that you should begin cryo-containment procedures. I have already prepared a pod for you in bay two.” I gave a defeated sigh at the notification. But, nonetheless, I sat up from my seat in the command module. Hunching down, I placed the book back in the chair’s side containment unit, which promptly sealed shut with a light mechanical whir.

I began my trek to the cryo bays through the long series of corridors that slithered throughout the ship, all of them illuminated by the same sickly yellow color emanating from the florescent bulbs that hung above. The only sound that filled my ears was the heavy thumps of my boots hitting the grates that composed the floor. Surrounding me were multitudes of pipes along with thousands upon thousands of electrical cables, all of which made up the shell of the passageway. The entirety of it all was colored with dull variations of grey and faded maroon. Most people would think it a burden to have to stay in these depressing conditions for any extended period of time, and they’d be right. But when you’ve been stationed on frigates as long as me, you learn to live with it. I couldn’t even tell you the last time I had been on an actual piece of earth.

The doors to bay two were wide open and waiting. I stepped inside the small room as I took in the new surroundings. Each wall was lined with dozens of cryo-containment pods. The light shining down on them gave an almost elegant shimmer of chrome. The air felt much… cleaner, most likely due to the sterilization protocols that needed to be maintained. I continued to walk down the path to the open pod waiting for me at the far end of the room.

“Hello, sir, thank you once again for your cooperation,” Andrew finally chimed in.

“Yeah… better to get this whole thing over with sooner rather than later.” Once I had reached the open casket, I stopped over a printed yellow rectangle on the floor. I turned around so I faced the opposite direction, and awaited a reply.

“Oh, I agree, sir. Now, please remain still so we may commence with decontamination.” I nodded once and assumed a more solid posture.

A faint buzzing sound filled my ears, as the floor around me molded into separate modules. The newly formed pieces twisted and turned in various directions, and locked with surrounding fragments. This continued until a solid rectangle was laid on the ground below me.

“Beginning decontamination,” Andrew announced.

A bright blue light erupted from the interior of the shape, causing me to flinch a bit. The light morphed into a solid plane that spread throughout the empty space of the device. The frame began to silently hover off the ground, slowly dragging the field over my body. I felt like I had just touched the surface of a data screen, as a soft, tingly sensation of static energy traveled through my jumpsuit and danced across my skin. The device stalled once it had reached over my head. The blue light dissipated, and the frame hovered back down, promptly melding back into the floor.

“Decontamination procedures complete. Subject is now completely devoid of any harmful microorganisms.” I stepped off the platform and turned to face the cryo-pod. I stepped into the tube, back laid against the rear of the capsule. I lowered my arms into the mold so I was fit snugly in the space. Suddenly, cords and straps erupted from numerous ports that lined the mold. The restraints wrapped around my entire being, almost like I was being mummified in a tomb of metal.

I watched as the transparent shell of the pod slowly folded inward to its natural position. Once the glass hit the capsule, the panel stopped before emitting a sharp hiss. It then swiftly locked into place with a loud thump. Closing my eyes, I took in a long, deep breath, the chilled air already cooling my lungs. I tried to enjoy my moment of silence as much as I could. It would need to last.

“Sir, are you ready?” I opened my eyes, and with an emotionless gaze I nodded my head. “Authorization confirmed, proceeding with final cryo-containment procedures. Execute in three… two… one.” The hissing sound returned with a vengeance, its piercing tone dominated my mind. The air became thicker, and the temperature dropped like a lead weight. All the warmth in my skin quickly transformed into an icy chill. My vision blurred, and became more and more hazed as I continued to inhale the cold, heavy air. The strength I had left was leaking from my being, and I felt… so… tired. My eyes shut as I was plucked from the conscious world, and left in an azure sea of peace.


It was a calm, cool night on the outskirts of the Whitetail Woods. The gentle sounds of the crickets chirping or the occasional coo of an owl filled the area with a peaceful atmosphere. The lit moon shined its ethereal light down on the tranquil landscape, giving everything a soft glow of white. The grass waved in a gentle breeze, and the leaves on the trees gave a slight rustle. In the center of this placid scene sat a humble cottage. The unique construction of the home made it seem as if it were fused with the earth and plants around it, this gave it a very natural and welcoming feel, which is probably why many animals of the forest and surrounding ones found shelter in this abode. But, it was more likely due to the unwavering love and kindness provided by its owner. For this cottage was the home of the pegasus, Fluttershy.

Said pony was currently lost in a deep slumber. Her body curled up in a small bed, a smile across her face. All around the mare slept her many ‘guests’. Birds, mammals, and even some insects, all had fallen into the warm embrace of sleep.

The room was engulfed in an empty darkness. But suddenly, a small trickle of orange light made its way into the space. This trickle of light slowly developed into a large beam, and the once quiet, dark room, began to light up like the sun. Once it had reached Fluttershy’s eyes, the pegasus flinched a bit at the abrupt stimulation. Eventually, as the feeling grew, she was coaxed away from the tempting grasp of rest, and into the world of the living. Other animals had started to awaken, and immediately gained notice of the brightness pouring in from the windows.

Fluttershy groggily got up from her bed, and stepped onto the floor with a light thud. As she walked to the windows, a sense of curiosity churned inside her.

“That’s odd. It seems a bit early for the sun to come up,” the mare mused to herself. Fluttershy still continued her approach, until she eventually was at the base of the windowsill. As she looked up, the image that filled her sight caused a black pit of dread to grow in her gut.

Rocketing across the night sky was a burning orb soaked in an inferno of orange flame. All of a sudden, an earth-shattering boom shook the ground below them. The animals voiced their immediate concern, and some started to scamper about in a panic.

“Oh no, please calm down, there is nothing to be afraid of!” The timid pegasus tried to reason. However, even she had a heavy hint of doubt laced in her voice. She averted her sight back to the window. The object was still hurtling towards the earth, moving at unimaginable speeds.

All she could do was await the inevitable, as she watched the anomaly continue its rapid descent. Fluttershy’s eyes were glued on the falling object. She completely tuned out the minor discord among the animals behind her. The light continued to build, and build, until it had almost reached a blinding level. Fluttershy was forced to close her eyes, and wait.

Another shock wave smashed into the cottage, and everything shook around her. The sense of alarm in the animals skyrocketed. They let out frenzied sounds of dismay, and continued to run about the place. Objects fell from shelves. The window frames vibrated. All she could do was stand there, with her eyes clamped shut, waiting for it all to be over.

As the wave of impact died down, the animals began to calm themselves, seeing that it was finally over. Fluttershy opened her eyes to the chaotic state of her home. Objects were scattered about the place, and several glassware were shattered on the floor. Out the window, the light had died down to nothing, and the peaceful night sky took its rightful place once again.

The pegasus simply stood there, stiff as a board. Her eyes were now widened and unmoving. Eventually, her mind calmed enough to process a comprehensible thought.

“Oh no, are all of you alright!” Fluttershy turned to her pets. All of them still wore a look of concern, but nodded all the same. “Oh, thank goodness.” The mare’s sense of relief did not last however, as the impact of previous events started to weigh down on her. “Oh m-my, I need to get help!” Glancing back at her animals once more, they all gave gestures of approval. Fluttershy bolted to the door, and began her journey to the town of Ponyville.

Author's Note:

Well, here it is. You have all been waiting for it, and it is finally ready. The first chapter of the new and improved Gateway to Harmony! Or "Breach", as it is now been named. I hope all of my readers from the original like the new version, and will continue to read the other chapters to come.

-Robert out.

Edited by: Trials