• Published 9th Oct 2013
  • 2,375 Views, 71 Comments

A Simple Story - Sabellion



The not so simple love story of Rarity and Spike, in their later years.

  • ...
13
 71
 2,375

Homecoming: Part I

Through the ebony bars that held the window together, he could see the twinkling lights of the stars dancing in the sky. He’d spent so many years watching them, but now they swirled in the most alien fashion imaginable. The wind whistled through the tiny room, through the scraggy canyon outside, grumbling and groaning. He tried to rub his wrists and see into the deep dark that surrounded him but the oppressive shadow crashed around him, making even his eyes ineffective.

His breath came in heavy gasps, his ears betraying drops of water for great crashes of footsteps or glinting beads of moisture which clung to the walls as eyes or great teeth like steak knives. He began to tremble, as the unique but unshakable feeling of being watched crawled up his neck. His scales itched, slick with the blanketing heat and humidity.

There was a clang from in front of him as the dull red glow of a torch made the once hidden door appear. The jangle of keys, and twisting lock echoed in his head and he furrowed his brow.

With the creak of rusty steel the door swung open, revealing three massive hooded figures. The one on the right lit the torch in the room, before remaining motionless as the center figure approached him.

“What clan are you from, Dragon?” he said, squatting down, his snout stick out from underneath the shadows that wrapped around his head.

Spike popped his neck, bracing against the chains that held his arms backwards, locking him on his knees. The figure grabbed his chin, and a low growl emanated from Spike’s throat.

“What. Clan.” He spit.

Spike clenched his teeth. “I don’t know.” He said

“You don’t know? How do you-“He stopped himself. “Ah. I see. You work for Celestia. Clan-less.”

He said the last word like it should have stung Spike, but he merely stared into his dark red eyes, like blood.

“I should just kill you, Clan-less.” He said, “But you might provide for me some useful information.”

He turned towards the guards at the door and said, “Get that damn unicorn in here.”

“Yes, Sir.” One said, as he turned and tucked out from the door.

The dragon in front of Spike laughed as he said, “You know, despite how much I hate them, those Unicorns do have some interesting magic. Useful too-enough to spare a particularly talented one. We caught this one a while back, and you should have seen him squirm.”

He leaned in close. “Now, he’ll make you squeal.”

“Torture then?” Spike spat.

“Only the best kind.” The dragon said, as he spun away from him, the signature clopping of hooves clacking down the hall.

The unicorn was thrown into the room, his silvery fur drawn taught around his bony frame, supporting the greasy tangle of a mane that swung around his head, and scratched the floor from his tail. His green eyes had a glaze over them, and his face was crestfallen, mouth slightly agape, providing only a simple nod as the dragon pointed at Spike.

“I’m sorry.” He wheezed, as his horn began to glow. Spike felt like his head began to expand, as suddenly he became lightweight and his eyes rolled back into his head, embracing him in sweet darkness.

-------------- X -------------

Her eyebrow shot upwards as she hummed a little tune to herself, tapping her chin with her hoof.

“Ah! Now I see. It’s too bright,” Rarity said as she stamped her hoof down. Immediately the fine work before her disassembled itself. “I daresay, some black is required for this gown.”

She bounced over to her barrels of bolts, briefly rummaging through the chaos before pulling out a beautiful silky sheet. She held it up to the light, humming again. She leaned to her side and said, “What do you think, Opalescence?”

The old cat rolled its head to look at the cloth before meowing with dull bravado and snuggling itself back into a curled ball of fur, purring in the sunlight.

“You’re too right, Opalescence.” Rarity said. “It’s perfect!”

Rarity ran back over to the garment, cutting the cloth quickly and replacing the old seams, buttons, laces, and hems. She stopped to admire her work. Not complete, but it was shaping up very well-give it another day, and it’d be perfect.

She looked at the time. 3 o’clock. Two whole hours earlier than she had expected. She looked back at her unfinished work-maybe she should go and finish what she had started, but yet, she felt compelled to just leave and call it a day.

It was a Tuesday, after all, not many customers would be coming in today and she had been toiling endlessly the past two weeks; so she decided to head towards the crystalline store front and flip the little card sign over, and lock the door.

A long exhale left her lungs as she closed her eyes, quickly planning out the rest of the night. Head home, eat out, probably at Astrance, and then attending the opening of the newest gallery at the Museum of Fine Arts, perhaps a little soiree with some friends, and then bed.

Yet, from behind her there was a knock.

“We’re closed, dear!” Rarity said.

“Rarity! Open the door!” she heard an all too familiar voice scream out as the knocking resumed, with great vigor.

It can’t be….

“Twilight?” Rarity stammered as she twirled around, only to see her old friend standing by the door, glowing in the bright light of the day. She rushed over, quickly unbolting the door. “Twilight, darling, I was just getting ready to head out-”

She was interrupted by Twilight throwing her hooves around her neck, almost knocking her off balance.

“I-I didn’t know where else to go…” Twilight struggled to say, as she began to sob into Rarity’s shoulder.

“What happened?” Rarity asked as she stroked her mane, “Darling, talk to me.”

“W-we were up n-north and…” Twilight said, but her voice fell away into incoherent sobbing. Already the hot tears dampened Rarity’s coat, spilling out of Twilight’s red and puffy eyes.

“Shh, shh, it’s okay.” Rarity cooed, but felt Twilight shake her head. “Tell me what happened, Twilight. Did something happen to you?”

Twilight shook her head again, as she broke into another fit of hysteria.

“Then….” Rarity’s voice trailed off as she looked up, the dots connecting together in her mind. “Where’s Spike?”

Twilight tried to bury herself further into Rarity’s chest. Yet, Rarity pulled her away so she could look her in the eye.

“Twilight? Where’s Spike?” Rarity demanded.

“He’s...he’s…” Twilight said.

“Lost?”

Twilight shook her head.

“Injured?”

Twilight shook her head harder.

“...dead?” Rarity whispered.

“Don’t say that!” Twilight shouted, as she dropped her face into her hooves, “He can’t be dead.”

“What happened?” Rarity asked, once more.

Twilight took some time to compose herself, before her silence ended. As she sniffled and snuffed, holding back the snot that plugged her nose, and wiped away the now nonexistent tears and fought against the pounding headache, she spoke;

We were up North. Celestia sent us to deal with a territorial dispute with the Dragons. Spike went along with me, and everything seemed to be going perfectly well until…

We were standing around the table in the conference room, inside a humid and hot cave. The table surrounded a small fire, and the dragons squabbled between one another. Spike was silent the entire time, just standing by my side and nodding in agreement with whatever I had to say.

I tried to calm everyone down, but you know how Dragons are. Violence was inevitable. One of the groups attacked first and before I had time to collect myself, there was blood in the air. Screams and roars echoed as fire escaped their mouths, but Spike...he fought to protect me.

Eventually one group began to win-the radicalist who brought their numbers to this meeting, anticipating this sort of reaction. They chased us down. We ran through the halls, tripping them up every chance we could.

But we were cornered. Spike turned back towards me, and told me to get out of there, as he threw me into a little alcove, and diverted our pursuers. I didn’t even have time to react, I just winked back to Canterlot. Celestia said she’d handle it and sent her troops over there.

Twilight began to cry again, but her tears were spent and her face merely crumpled up. “That was two months ago...and they just got back.”

"I didn't tell you because I thought there was hope, thought there was something but...but..." Twilight's voice croaked and faded.

Rarity’s gaze fell to the ground as the reality of the world slammed against her like water against rock. She tried to comfort Twilight the best she could, yet one though prevailed above all. Spike was dead.

-------------- X -------------

“How long do you reckon you’ll be gone for?”

“It’s a memorial service, Silverblood, so a few days. Maybe more.”

“A few days?”

“By Celestia, Silverblood, one of my best friends died. The girls will need me. Twilight will need me.”

“Alright, fine. Be safe…I love you.”

Rarity stood on the train platform, staring into the distance, her mind caught in the ethereal haze of memories of the last day and all the time before that. The empty wind howled around her, blowing the clouds far above away, dusting off the cement of the hollow station. It carried the metallic screech of brakes and persistent chugging of the heart of the engine down the tracks and soon the train hissed to a halt.

She stepped on as the conductor shouted out their next destination. Ponyville. Her bags were stored away by two helpful ponies who led her to the front of the train, to a car where Guards stood at the ready.

She passed by them and into the little room, fine furnishings and elegant designs gracing every surface. If this was any other occasion, she would have let herself bask in their beauty, surrounded herself in their flawless design, but instead she merely sat on one of the little couches and stared out the window.

The door opened as Twilight stepped through-no, the Princess did, and Rarity let out a small gasp. Her head was held high, a stoic expression smeared across it. Her steps were deliberate, and poised. Yet everything about the Alicorn seemed just too strange, too off-like clothes three sizes too big.

The mask of Twilight Sparkle had faded away into this regal being, and Rarity trembled to see her old friend sit across from her and to stare into those commanding, empty purple eyes.

“Rarity.” She said, with the pleasant coyness you’d expect from two nobles passing on the street.

“Your Highness.” Rarity responded, automatically, with what little of a bow she could muster from her current position.

Twilight opened her mouth as if to protest, but sighed as she leaned back into her chair. She gazed over her shoulder as a distant yell cut through the morning air and the train sluggishly came to life, pushing them slowly away from Canterlot.

“How are you?” Twilight said.

“I’m fine.” Rarity said.

“Good.” Twilight said, “Dreadful weather.”

“Terrible.” Rarity said.

“Spike liked flying in this type of weather.” Twilight said.

“Yes,” Rarity said, “Well, I wouldn’t really know, it’s been years since I last really saw him but…” Her words drowned away in the constricting tightness of her throat.

Water. I simply need some water. Rarity excused herself for a moment as she stood and poured herself a small glass of cool liquids and sat back down again.

“Who is going to be there?” Rarity asked.

“Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, of course.” Twilight said, “Cadence, my brother and the princesses will be there too. I believe Applebloom and Big Macintosh are going to be there as well.”

“My sister is coming, but she might be a bit late last I heard.” Rarity said.

“She’s coming in from Manehattan, correct?” Twilight said as she looked back at Rarity.

“Yes.” Rarity said.

“I saw her not too long ago when I was there for a visit. She’s become quite a star, hasn't she?” Twilight said.

“Yes, actually.” Rarity said, “Working from some big record label over there. She had a concert with Sapphire Shores.”

Twilight nodded as she turned her gaze away once again. A harrowing stillness filled the cabin, the constant clickety clack of the train tracks the only sound that reached their ears.

Rarity jumped as Twilight said, “I’ve been meaning to talk to you about something, Rarity.”

“Of course, darling. What about?”

“Who else?” Twilight said.

“What about him?” Rarity said.

“Two years ago, we were back in Camelot for a little while. Enough time for Spike to go off and try to chase you down.” Twilight said. She looked back at Rarity and said, “Did he find you?”

Rarity stopped herself before swallowing and shaking her head, biting her lip gently. “No, he didn’t.”

Twilight hummed as she turned back to the window. “I’m sure you already know, but he was crazy about you.”

Rarity didn’t respond, letting her gaze fall to the floor.

“I don’t mean to make you feel bad or anything, Rarity. But, besides me, he cared about you the most. I think he'd want you to know that,” Twilight smiled as a tiny chuckle left her chest as she said, “You know, often when we're on an assignment we’d have a little time off here and there, and he’d go off by himself. I tried to ask him where he went and he just said ‘on walks’”

Twilight laughed, her eyes twinkling, as she said, “One time though, I followed him. Do you know where he went? A dance studio! He was just dancing around, and for the next few days afterwards I’d find him in his room just copying the movements, eyes closed, humming to himself.”

Twilight wiped a tear from her eye as she shook her head, still smiling, “I asked him why he was taking dance lessons-he was redder than an apple and he said ‘for no reason’”

Twilight let out a sigh as she looked up towards the little chandelier that hung from the roof. “Good times.”

Rarity nodded and smiled, briefly catching Twilight’s eye. “Remember that time he turned into that big dragon and kidnapped you?” Twilight said, “That was an adventure.”

Rarity again nodded as she looked over her shoulder to see the station drawing up quickly towards them. Rarity said, “Our stop is coming up.”

Twilight nodded as she stood, regaining her royal composure. She then stopped for a second and said, “We might have a...warm welcome. Be ready”

Her head held high, she exited the train as it screeched to a halt. The doors opened, and fanfare and yells met them. It seemed the Princess could not go anywhere without making some sort of noise. Rarity smiled and waved, a few of the ponies recognizing her.

At the end of the pathway there were four faces that Rarity so dearly missed, smiling, ever so gently like the breeze. Fluttershy maintained her composure the best, while Rainbow’s jaw was clenched to the degree where it could cut through Iron. Applejack’s eyes were red, and Pinkie was an absolute mess, her hair ten times more frazzled than usual.

They gathered around each other and hugged. Small whispers passed between them, but Rarity didn’t hear a single word. She simply basked in the effervescent glow of friendship. Her throat was already sore as she let old memories flow back into her mind, to pictures of six happy ponies and a little green dragon at their side.

How beautiful it would be to go back to then.

Author's Note:

Bah, sorry for taking so long, but I only have one dedicated pre-reader and his internet died! Still, I felt compelled to update the story as quickly as I could. Thanks again for taking the time to read through all of this, I seriously appreciate it.