• Published 9th Oct 2013
  • 2,378 Views, 71 Comments

A Simple Story - Sabellion



The not so simple love story of Rarity and Spike, in their later years.

  • ...
13
 71
 2,378

Dancing the Night Away

“Come now, just one night. For me?”

“I don’t know. It doesn’t sound very...ladylike.”

“All the biggest names are going out.”

“But, we’re married and ‘hitting the club’ as you said, is not what any sophisticated individual does. Especially not at our age.”

“You make us out to be old croons.”

“I am not old.” She said, “I am merely less interested in such wild undertakings. Besides, have you seen the sanitary conditions of some of those places? Horrid.”

“Oh come on, Rarity. It isn’t that bad. You might actually have fun for once.”

Her eyes narrowed. “What are you trying to say?”

“I’m just...commenting on your dedicated work ethic. Not that it’s a bad thing, it’s just...”

“All work and no play? I’m almost offended.”

“Wounded, even?”

“Possibly.”

“Well, what do you say?”

She sighed, rolling her eyes at his extended hoof that jabbed out at her like the bow of a ship.
“Fine. For you, Silverblood.”

His face lit up. “That’s the spirit!”

“Can I at least put something on?”

“Won’t it get dirty?”

“Will it?”

“I’d assume yes.”

“Very well.”

“Alright, let’s go! The night is still young, and so are we, my dear!” He said as he pulled them out onto the street.

She followed behind him, tightness spread through her chest. She forced a timid smile and laughed as he regaled her with his previous exploits at such places. Night Clubs-it had been ages since last she went to one, and that was a special occasion with her friends. Yes, she had met Mr. Right at one of these dives, but that is beside the point.

The night was perfectly warm, a dizzy sort of orange glow as the last vestiges of the sun died away to let live the night and the bright moon that shined with a smile above. The cobblestone streets of the city began to reflect the neon lights that bounced off the ivory towers above.

If anything Canterlot had a splendid night-life. Cafes with candlelit tables were abound, and jazz clubs where her favorites played the best sort of swing songs to dance to, and bars where the most interesting elite of the city relaxed for a moment out of the limelight of the main streets.

They waltzed down through the streets to where the biggest, flamboyantly so, neon signs pointed. Selene’s was its name, cool blue and green a top sleek silver. Rarity’s eyes opened wide as a flicker of excitement tingled in her chest. Quickly though, she hushed it down and regained her aloof expression of distaste.

The line outside the door was massive, it bent around the block, but the two strolled right up to the front. The bouncer nodded at them, letting them pass without a word and the massive doors engulfed them.

The floors shook with each tremor and bounce of the music, the deep notes rhythmically struck as the music blasted alongside the lights. They stood atop the stairs that led down into the crowd that jumped and danced, overlooking it all. Silverblood nudged Rarity, leaning in close to her.

“You ready?”

Rarity, a little flustered said, “Yes. I think so. Where do we start?”

“Just, follow my lead.” Silverblood said.

He led them down into the twisting, coiling mess below. His head start to bounce in time, and they found a spot eventually that wasn’t too crowded, but still close to the front where the DJ blasted their music from towers of speakers and subwoofers, a smile spread across her face melding with the sheen of her goggles that lit her eyes up like fire.

They began to dance. At first Rarity just timidly bounced up and down, trying to find some sort of rhythm, while Silverblood positively pranced around, his gliding effortlessly across the dance floor, striding with confidence with each beat. Mares watched him-even a few stallions eyed him with envy.

Rarity huffed. He was not going to show her up, and she definitely wasn’t going to let any other mare eye her stallion. She moved up beside him, elegantly swirling around him. She groaned in her mind-it had been far too long since she was ever that flexible. A thought crossed her mind-maybe she should join that yoga class like Fluttershy had recommended to her. Never mind.

She returned to the dance floor full force, bouncing alongside him. He continued to dominate the floor, hogging all the light as a circle formed around him. Rarity found herself slowing down to just watch as he danced away, softly smiling. A sigh left her lips.

The song ended, and with a massive whoop of the crowd he stopped to walk over to Rarity as the next some came on. He bobbed up next to her, rubbing against her side, his hip bones stabbing her in the ribs.

“Having fun?” Silverblood asked.

“Yes. I’ll admit I’m having fun.” Rarity said with a sigh.

“See? Did that kill you?”

“I guess not.” Rarity said with a giggle, hold her hoof up to cover her muzzle. They swayed to the music, side by side, not noticing the three big stallions that approached them.

“Sir.” A burly pony said, grabbing hold of Silverblood’s arm. “Sir.”

“Yes, what do you want?” Silverblood said, turning to them, abruptly stopping his movements. The stallion in front leaned in, whispering into his ear. Silverblood’s face shifted quickly between annoyed to blank and finally to brow furrowing concern.

“What is it?” Rarity asked, scooting in close.

“Its-nothing. My aunt needs me.” Silverblood said to her. “Thanks.” He said to the stallions before they walked away.

“Is it really nothing?”

“Sadly no, I have to go-” Rarity opened her mouth but laid a hoof over her lips as he said, “-but I want you to stay here and have some fun. Have a few drinks, socialize. Just relax, for me alright?”

“If I wanted to relax, Darling, I’d have gone to the Spa.” Rarity said, but after he made a pouting face, she continued with, “But-fine. Just stay safe, okay?”

He nodded before she kissed him. He hugged her before walking away, but only took a few steps before shouting back to her, “If you do get a drink, tell the bartender Prince Silverblood is paying for you!”

Rarity nodded as she lost track of him in the crowd. She sighed, all of sudden she was lost in a sea of sweat and noise. She was pushed to the side and soon found herself sitting at the bar, the stylish under lit counter tops providing little comfort. She rested her head on her hoof.

“You be having anything, little miss?” The barkeep said as he walked up to her, cleaning a mug with his magic.

“Will.” she muttered.

“What?” The barkeep said, peering at her.

“It’s ‘Will you be having.’ not ‘You be having’” Rarity said.

“Okay, Miss” The bartender said, rolling his eyes, carefully over enunciating the words, “Will you be having anything?”

“A cosmopolitan, sounds just divine, sir.” Rarity said with a defeated smile.

“Will this be on your tab or-” The bartender said.

“Put it on mine.” Another voice piped up.

They looked at the source of the voice, a hooded figure who sat a little ways down from Rarity. His arm jutted out onto the counter top, cruel ebony claws wrapping around his glass. The Bartender nodded as he swallowed his spit. “Y-yes sir. Free of charge then, Miss.”

Rarity looked between the two stunned for a second, before making sure the figure wasn’t looking and beckoning the bartender up close. “Who is that? Why does he get free drinks?”

The bartender bit his lip as her drink levitated in front of her. “That one, little miss, is a dragon. If that ain’t made obvious by the claws and scales. A big shot it seems, came down with a letter from Her Majesty. Just, be careful around that one.”

“Why?” Rarity asked.

“No reason, really. I mean, he never hurt no one, but still. Gotta be careful around Dragons.”

“Does he come here often?” Rarity asked.

“He only started coming here a few days ago, but he never talks. Never has no interest in nobody.” The bartender said, before leaning in close, “I heard some whispers about him being some big hero-but I don’t know nothing solid, truth be told.”

“I believe I will go and speak to him.”

The bartender scoffed, but at Rarity’s strict eye, shrugged and said, “If that’s your prerogative ma’am”

“He has my curiosity.” Rarity said as she grabbed her drink and moved over next to him. She sat down beside him, sipping on her drink, waiting for him to turn to see her. Instead, he merely stared into the distance.

Rarity tried to get a good look at him-the awkward lighting did little to help. What little of his scales were visible shimmered in the light, incandescent; their color utterly indiscernible here.

“What’s your name?” he asked, his voice surprisingly soft.

“My name is Rarity,” She said, “And yours is?”

“Good. I just needed to make sure.” He said.

“What?”

“And you know my name.” He said. “Years may have changed me, but I reckon you’d know my face.”

“I’m sorry, I’m not following.”

“Tell me, Rarity. How have you been?”

“Do I know you?”

“Of course you do. Think.” He said.

Rarity shook her head. “I’m drawing a blank.”

“Maybe this will help.” he said as he dropped back his hood, his purple scales shining the light. Atop his head were large rounded spikes that rose up like a crown, towering over the rest of his head. His eyes were crystalline, like emeralds, his jaw drawn out, accented by the sharp lines and grooves that rose up to fin like objects on either side of his head in place of ears. He was massive though, she would have described him as thick-a little bit bigger than the average stallion.
She analyzed him a little bit longer before shaking her head in disbelief. “It can’t be...Spike?”

“Bingo.” Spike said as he turned back to his drink, sipping it quietly.

“By Celestia, Spike, how have you been?” Rarity said, hugging him. His eyes went wide in shock as he gently returned the favor. She stepped back to look him up and down again. “You’ve grown.”

“Not for the worse, I hope.” Spike said, “I’ve been good, to answer your earlier question.”

Rarity was fixated on his muscles. By Celestia, they seemed to ripple underneath that thin sheet of scales.

“You certainly look it.”

Spike smiled. “Thanks…you do too.”

He finally looked back at her. “Stare any longer and it’s going to cost you.” He said with a cocky grin.

She punched him in the arm, to which he mouthed a quiet ‘Ow.’

“So, besides abusing dragons, what have you been up to these past few years?” Spike asked.

“Why, I’ve been living here in Canterlot, working day to day…trying to get noticed.”

“That’s not what I hear. From what I’ve been told, you’re almost a household name nowadays.”

“Stop it you. I’m not that big.”

“I’m serious. I even saw your designs in Saddle Arabia.”

“What?!” Rarity said, taken aback. “When were you there?”

“About…” He scrunched up his face trying to remember. “..Six months ago? Twilight and I were doing some business for Celestia there and I had a little time off so I went shopping. Saw some suits and dresses, marked with a distinct ‘R’” Spike said, “I assumed that was you.”

“I...it probably was.” Rarity said, leaning back into her chair, “That’s amazing. Saddle Arabia.”

“It was beautiful.” Spike said looking at her.

“How’s Twilight doing?”

“Oh, she’s Twilight, you know. Studying up at the Castle at the moment for our next mission.” Spike said, “Said she was too busy to have fun. Bull-hokey I say.”

“Yeah. My goodness it's so good to see you, Spike. How long are you in town?”

The music shifted. No longer was it a deep grinding primal song that oozed through the senses, but a jazzy rock song, a little shake to it. Spike’s ear fins tilted up as he looked at the dance floor. Some of the ponies dispersed, obviously a little perturbed by the sudden change. He looked at Rarity, a smile spread across his face as he extended his hand out to her.

“Long enough.” Spike said, “Care for a dance?”

“What?” Rarity said.

“Dance. You and me.”

“Spike...”

“Please? Just this once?”

“Maybe I shouldn’t.”

“You’ll enjoy it. Stick a cupcake in my eye.” Spike said as he raised his other hand at his eye, grinning ear to ear.

She sighed, as she acquiesced to his demands. He took hold of her hoof, pulling them onto the dance floor. For a second she tried to fight the catchy beat, but found herself bouncing along to the music. She turned her head to watch Spike.
He was on fire. At first, she could see the timid stares of a few that watched him, a dragon, on the dance floor. He was thrilling to watch, and she smiled at the little snaps he would do in time with the music. His claws didn’t even scratch the floor as he danced. A little circle was forming around him and she let herself sit back. Suddenly, she was yanked onto the floor. There was a small gasp on the dance floor

“Spike!” she shouted at him under her breath, “I don’t dance!”

“Trust me.” He said.

“This is completely nontraditional! I’m married!” She said.

He visibly deflated, but shook it off as he resumed to dance.

Spike gulped as he said, “We’re just friends, right? And this-is just a dance.” he said.

He moved around her, and he took her hoof into his hand giving her a reassuring smile. Part of her wanted to fight, but as he wrapped his other hand around her waist, the thought was knocked from her mind. The tempo began to pick up.

Tightness clenched in her chest. It had been a long time since she had actually dance like this-not since…well, her wedding a year ago. She looked up at him as he began to lead them into the song.

They stepped, twirled, span. It was impressive, to say the least. Rarity was surprised she could dance like this. Each step they took was in perfect synchronization. She laughed, as he spun her in the air. They rocked out, shaking to the music- if nightclubs always played this kind of music, that’d be perfect.

The broke apart for a second, and she followed his steps as the guitar picked up its beat. As each of her hooves kicked out in perfectly, she remembered that game Rainbow Dash always loved to play, Dance Dance or something, and thought how right now-she’d beat her at it.

Spike grabbed her, spinning her on his arm out away towards the edge of the circle before pulling her back in with a twist, bringing their faces inches apart. She felt his breath on her face, and she gasped as a tingle ran through all her muscles. She could feel how hot he was-he was an inferno of comfortable warmth underneath those hard scales, like hellfire.

The song was reaching it final throes, she could feel eyes on them. Just as it ended, he dipped her back, letting her back arch as he supported her, not even trembling as she almost touched the ground. Only one of her back legs held her up, the other was extended upward, around him, and she wasn’t even sure of how it got there. The crowd began to cheer as she looked up into his eyes.

The lights wrapped around his head, encapsulating his soft smile and raised eyebrow. Her heart jumped two feet in her chest.

But the song changed, and quickly he brought her back up before leading them off the floor and to a table. Flustered, Rarity fixed her hair as they sat down. Some thoughts ran back to her.

“How was that?”

She tried to find the right word, ignoring some of the alarms flashing in her head. “Amazing?”

“Consider that slight repayment for missing your wedding.” Spike said.

“It’s fine, dear, really.” Rarity said. A quiet lull ran between them.

“See? You had fun. I kept my promise.” Spike interjected.

“Yes.” Rarity said, “Yes you did.”

Spike smiled, his sharp fangs gleaming. They stared at each other for a few moments.

Rarity! What are you doing! Flirting with another man when you’re married! I’m ashamed of you.

It’s just Spike. It’s nothing of consequence.

You know what he’s like, Rarity.

It’s been awhile. Maybe he found someone else?

Her wits were starting to return to her. “My question is,” Rarity said, “Where did you learn to dance, Spikey-wikey?”

He grinned as he said, “I have a lot of time off in between missions.”

“For a lovely dragoness you found?”

Spike seemed to lose his footing for a second as he blurted out, “No-no, I haven’t found anyone.”

See? He still wants you.

I noticed.

“How come you never came back?” Rarity asked, trying to appear a little hurt.

Spike looked down.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered.

“For what?”

“For not coming back.” Spike said, “I should have, but….never mind.”

“What is it?” Rarity asked.

Spike waved his hand. “It’s nothing.” He said.

What does Applejack say? Horse-fetters? Never mind.

Stop being so harsh on him.

“So, I was wondering, did you two get my little invitation?”

“To your wedding?” Spike said, faking a smile “…of course.”

Nice one, Rarity.

“I’d normally be a little upset by you two not attending, but I understand the importance of your missions.” Rarity said, trying her best to be comforting. “What were you two doing at the time?”

“Ummm….Investigating claimed sightings of changelings to the south.” Spike said, after a moment.

“How did that go?”

“Fine, I guess.” Spike said

“Did you find any?”

“No, it looked like it was just some timber-wolves.” Spike said.

“Ah.” Rarity said.

She looked at the clock. He followed her gaze. His fingers tapped his knuckles before he said, “What do you say we get out of here?”

“I guess that sounds fine.” Rarity said, before stopping herself from standing up completely.

“What?” Spike asked, “What is it?”

“We should probably leave separately.” Rarity said.

“Why?” Spike said.

“Spike, Darling, some ponies might talk.” Rarity said. Her face fell. “They probably will already.”

“Let them talk.” Spike said, “It doesn’t mean anything to me.”

“That’s because you don’t live here. I’m a married mare, Spike, if word gets out that I left a club with another man, much less a dragon…”

“Oh.” Spike said, nodding as his eyes hit the floor. “I see.”

Reeeeal nice. Most people already treat him like some-sort of monster, I’d expect. Good job, enforcing the stereotype…and you say you have class.

“You know what? Never mind what I said.” Rarity said, “Let’s go.”

He looked back up as she took hold of his hand and led them towards the exit. She stuck her head up high, ignoring the stares. Spike kept an awkward grin across his face, waving to a few ponies as they reached the door. Everypony watched with intense curiosity, and as they stepped outside, it seemed only crickets dared to make themselves known.

They left the club, the wet sidewalks glimmering in the city lights. They got around a corner, away from the prying eyes before they stopped, laughter bursting forth out of them.

“If they weren’t talking before, they definitely will now.” Spike said.

“It’s not like we had drinks at the bar.”

“On my tab.”

“And then danced...”

“Yep.”

“And then talked by candlelight.”

“Fake one at that. Did you notice?”

“Of course I did, darling. I also noticed the stares.”

“You’re gonna have a blast explaining the rumors to your husband.”

“Maybe.” Rarity said with a smile. They looked up at the stars before silence spread between them.

“So….You look famished.” Spike said. “Want to grab something to eat?”

“I’m fine Spike.” Rarity said, as her stomach growled. She giggled nervously.

“Uh-huh. Come on. When was the last time you ate?” Spike said as he led them into the streets.

“I think we may have done enough tonight, Spike.”

“I’m not suggesting we sit down or anything. We can just swing by someplace and pick you something up.”

“Fast-food, Spike? I’m a lady. I do not eat fast-food.”

Spike rolled his eyes and shook his head as he looked around. “Is Donut Joe’s still open?”

“I think so? I don’t know.” Rarity said, “Isn’t it a bit...late for getting donuts?”

“Nonsense. Donut Joe serves almost 24/7.” Spike said.

“It’s almost Midnight, Spike.”

“So?”

“Who has donuts at midnight?”

“You’re telling me you’ve never had a late night doughnut binge?” Spike asked, with surprising sincerity.

Rarity raised her eyebrow. “No...?”

“Then you have not lived.” Spike said, “I think it’s time to illuminate that little failure in your life. My treat.”

“I guess that sounds lovely.”

Spike glared back at her for a second. “You said you use that word to describe things when you’re trying to not be...harsh.”
“You remember that?”

“Of course. Trust me though. This stuff is good...Hmm...I wonder if he still serves his gem donuts. Those were the best.” Spike said.

“Where is this ‘Donut Joe’s’ anyways?”

“Should be right....here.” Spike said as he pulled them around a corner. “Donut Joe’s, oh, how I’ve missed you.”

“More than me?”

Spike tripped over his feet, but kept walking as he regained his composure enough to say, “No! Not even close.”

Rarity smirked. “Good.”

Yes, just tease him. That’s just perfect.

Shut up! I don’t need your permission. Besides, he knows it’s all in good fun.

The bell above the door rang loud and clear as they walked into the shop. A bulky stallion stood behind the counter, with another lankier pony at his side, whose eyes went wide in horror. He nudged the bigger pony, who turned, peering for a second before saying, “Spike? Is that you?”

“Yes it is, Joe.”

“SPIKE!” Joe said, throwing down his apron. He whispered to the assistant at his side. “Go get a few donuts ready.” He came around the counter as Spike walked towards him, and they hugged. “Goodness, man, you’ve grown. It’s good to see you again.”

“And you as well.”

“And who is this?” Donut Joe said with a bright smile. He nudged Spike with a waggle of his eyebrows as he said, “A lady-friend?”

“We’re just friends.” Rarity said as Spike smiled nervously.

“This is Rarity.” Spike said, “I believe you two met a few years back after the Grand Galloping Gala.”

“Oh, that’s right!” Joe said, “Then on the train a little while later. I’d almost forgotten about you!”

Joe extended a hoof out as he said, “Well, any friend of Spike is a friend of mine. What is your name, again, miss?”

“Rarity.” She said as she met his hoof with hers.

“Rarity. What a beautiful name for a beautiful mare.” Joe said as he kissed her hoof.

Joe returned behind the counter as he said “Now, what can I get for you?”

“I think a dozen donuts will do.” Spike said, “Make three of them gem donuts, if you can.”

“For you? Anything pal.” He shouted back, “Hey, Marcelo! A dozen!”

He turned back to Spike. “So, what are you doing back in town? I heard you were made…a special agent in Her Majesty’s Royal Service.”

“I was. Twilight Sparkle and I have been doing jobs here and there across the kingdom.” Spike said.

“How’s that gal doing?”

“Fine, as always.”

“Still studying?”

“Of course. What else would she do?”

Behind Joe his assistant toiled away, perfectly icing each doughnut with precision and care. He sprinkled gems on top of three of them, before tossing them into a box. He tossed it onto the counter.

“Here you go!” Joe said, “And since you are a big hero, and a good friend, this one is for free.”

“Thanks.” Spike said.

He leaned over the counter and whispered something to Spike rolled his eyes and shook his head. “You come back now, alright, miss?”

Rarity smiled politely and nodded as she said, “Let’s depart, yes?”

Spike nodded and opened the door, waving goodbye before they hit the streets again.

“So, where do you live now?” Spike asked.

“This way.” Rarity said as she walked forward into the night.

Author's Note:

An idea for a little series came to me and so I decided to write out the first part of it right away. This will be the first bigger work that I've ever really written, so that should be fun. I'll work on this, depending on reactions of course-when I have the time. Thanks for reading!