• Published 25th Sep 2013
  • 3,678 Views, 67 Comments

Being Pony - NobodyKnows



What happens when you put a vampony, werewolf and a ghost all under the same roof among an unsuspecting Ponyville? Twilight Sparkle is determined to show Equestria that what goes 'bump in the night' deserves equal rights to ponies.

  • ...
4
 67
 3,678

Dreams


Chapter 2 - Dreams


“I can’t believe this, who the Hell does she think she is?” Rainbow Dash said for the umpteenth time as she paced past an exhausted looking Applejack in their cavern-built kitchen.

Applejack had long-since given up on talking any sense into Rainbow, it was clear to anypony with ears that she wouldn’t listen to anypony’s opinion except her own. Instead, Applejack took the time in between Rainbow’s incoherent rant to take another extensive look at the small paper card that Twilight had given the two of them before disappearing in a poof of purple smoke.

Twilight Sparkle
Golden Oaks Library
Ponyville

Honestly, Applejack didn’t need the reminder. She was well aware of where Twilight had resided when she wasn’t living with the Princess in Canterlot. In fact, there probably wasn’t a single pony in Ponyville that didn’t know the exact location of Princess Celestia’s most prised student. Still, Applejack kept the card close to hoof; she knew if Rainbow Dash even got a look at it, it would end up being torn to pieces in a fit of rage.

“And how did she even find the Under Realm anyway?” Rainbow Dash continued, her nostrils flaring as she rounded on Applejack yet again.

Applejack simply rolled her eyes as she placed the card back onto the table she was currently sat at. “Ah dunno RD, probably got somethin’ ter do with the fact that she’s got access ter the Princesses’ archives.”

Rainbow Dash paused in her rage fuelled rant to take a look at Applejack. Her eyes narrowed for a moment and Applejack was sure she could see a dangerous spark of red behind those once-rose orbs. Still, Rainbow only drew away again, speaking even faster as she continued: “And what gives Celestia the right to hold the books that keep our History? Nightmare Moon was a much greater God than Celestia could ever hope to be!”

Applejack flinched slightly at Rainbow’s venomous tone. “Not all of us were ‘round when she was our ruler, RD. Y’know, I used ter worship Celestia jus’ like everypony else upstairs.”

Rainbow Dash chose to ignore that comment. “And still, even if the archives did hold precious information about our great Goddess, there is no way it would have mentioned the entryways to the Under Realm!” Rainbow snorted with great ferocity. “If they did, that sun glorifying bitch would have given us away to the Hunters centuries ago!”

Applejack let out a sigh. “You’re tired, RD.”

“Oh you can talk!” Rainbow snarled, once again turning towards her friend. “You were gulping down all of that student’s lies like it was freakin’ apple juice!”

“I’m here now, ain’t I?” Applejack growled, raising herself from her seat. “And I ain’t gonna argue, RD. Not at a time like this.”

Rainbow simply glowered. “Fine. Go to bed. I s’pose you’re gonna sleep with that card too.”

Applejack felt warmth creeping towards her face. “It ain’t like that.”

“No, I know what it’s like.” Suddenly, the anger inside Rainbow began to evaporate. With one steadily held breath, the tension in the vampony’s shoulders lifted as she shrugged them in a hopeless defeat. “You don’t feel like you belong here… you still want to live up there with all the air-breathers.”

“Ah, RD,” Applejack sighed. “It ain’t like that neither. I jus’… I jus’ get tired of it all down here is all. Ah miss the sun on mah face… the smell of the apples when they come ter season in the orchard!”

Rainbow nodded, but didn’t raise her gaze to meet Applejack’s. “I know, but you know how dangerous it could be. If somepony saw you…”

“Ah’m only dangerous three nights ah month,” Applejack simpered. “Ah jus’… wish Ah could go up there, when Ah’m not… a monster.”

“You’re not a monster!” Rainbow insisted. “AJ… give it a couple months, you’ll get more control over it, I swear!”

AJ smiled. “And that’d be mighty nice… but down here that don’t mean much. Up there… well… Ah could pick up where Ah left off, y’know?”

Rainbow bit her lip as her leathery wings flexed subconsciously at her back. “You’re right… it’s way too early for us to be talking about this crap.”

Applejack sighed in defeat as she watched Rainbow wordlessly turn tail on her. She didn’t stop staring until Rainbow had disappeared down the hall of their small cavern-like home and into her bedroom. A slam resonated through the cavern as Rainbow stormed inside.

Left alone in the dark, Applejack silently toyed with Twilight’s card in between her hooves.

“Ah wish Ah could Twi,” Applejack muttered, “Ah wish Ah could.”

***

Neither Rainbow nor Applejack got a good day’s sleep.

Rainbow hung from the ceiling, her bat-like wings wrapped protectively around her body. Her wide eyes glowed dimly in the dark, lighting up the more or less empty living space that encompassed her.

In truth, Rainbow had only recently moved into this small cave that she and Applejack now called a ‘home.’ Before then, she had lived with her coven in a beautifully lit lair decorated with marvellous portraits, silk curtains and purple candles. She could still smell the lavender that the scented candles gave off as they burned gently on their wicks. Rainbow closed her eyes with a grimace; she still missed living with her coven. She missed the constant presence of her fellow vamponies. Here, she was painfully alone, unless you counted the always-prominent scent of wet dog in the air.

No, she couldn’t think like that.

Vamponies and werewolves had been natural enemies long before Rainbow had even become a filly of the night. But… after a thousand years of watching her coven build around her, Rainbow had tried to teach them a new way.

Werewolves were of course wild creatures at the best of times. Rainbow knew that they weren’t incapable of controlling themselves, but it seemed they preferred the wild instincts that came with the change. Rainbow wasn’t completely devoid of understanding this. After all, there was nothing better than the feeling of pure instinct taking over in the heat of a hunt.

But again, Rainbow shook her head. Instead, she decided to try and get some rest.

~

Three months ago, Rainbow had been on a lone hunt, trotting carefully through the Everfree Forest.

It was at that moment when she had heard a soft moan coming from a cluster of trees towards her right side.

At first, Rainbow’s wings had bristled with delight. She had assumed the noise had come from a young, perhaps abandoned filly. The blood of the pure and innocent was a sensation Rainbow was rarely able to claim.

However, as Rainbow had drawn nearer, she had found the source of the moaning, not of a lone filly, but in fact of a putrid, blood drenched farm pony. With a single sniff of the air, Rainbow was able to identify that the blood belonged to a werewolf. Her nose wrinkled in disgust.

Again, the werewolf moaned, but this time her eyes drew to slits, the small green orbs beneath scanned the area weakly.

Rainbow’s brow furrowed. “What happened to you,” she muttered.

The orange farm pony jumped in pure terror, letting out a scream of agony as her obviously broken joints failed to comply.

Rainbow frowned as she gently placed a hoof against the werewolf’s chest. “Be still,” she instructed, “your body needs to heal.”

“I don’t- I don’t- I d-don’t want it to,” the werewolf wheezed through shuddering lips. “W-Wanna die.”

Rainbow snorted in response. “Well, why didn’t you say so?” Her hoof hardened around the werewolf’s chest, the orange supernatural let out a further yelp of pain. Rainbow grinned as she felt the ribcage of the lone werewolf crack beneath her hoof. “Still want to die?”

Tears sprung to the farm pony’s eyes. “Y-yes,” she choked.

“Well…” Rainbow lifted her hoof from the werewolf’s chest, before bringing it down strongly to the creature’s gut. Winded, the orange supernatural began to cough and splutter.

“I can’t kill you,” Rainbow muttered, a dark smile cracked at the side of her lips. “You’re a werewolf kiddo. Your bones would heal around the break and if I tried to drink your blood… well, it wouldn’t be a pleasant experience for me.”

“D-Drink m-my blood?” The farm pony wheezed.

Rainbow cocked a brow in confusion. “Why of course… I assumed you knew what I was.”

The farm pony only shuddered in response, far too weakened to say or do anything else.

Rainbow’s eyes widened with realisation. “You… You don’t know what I am… you’re a newborn aren’t you? Or a… pup or whatever the Hell those half-breeds call you.” She shook her head in utter disbelief. “Where is your maker?”

The farm pony raised her gaze to meet the vampony’s. Rainbow’s dead heart leapt into her throat. Her eyes held such… sadness. Such despair. Never had Rainbow seen a supernatural in such defeat. After all… they were the elite. What was there to be afraid of when they were so much higher than the three tribes that called themselves ‘dominant’ on the ground above?

“Your maker left you,” Rainbow muttered, disgust lingering on every syllable. “Filthy half-breeds, they can’t even look after their own.”

The farm pony coughed in response.

Rainbow grimaced. “You… can’t stay up here, if anypony saw you…” Rainbow swallowed. “What’s your name?”

The werewolf didn’t speak for a long time, and then, after a fair few minutes, she cleared her throat, and with a choking whisper, she spoke her name: “A-Applejack.”

Rainbow forced a smile as she raised a hoof to meet the werewolf’s. “Alright Applejack, I’m taking you home.”

~

Rainbow opened her eyes in shock. It had been weeks since she had relived that fateful night. The one that had changed her destiny forever.

It had been true enough that on that night Rainbow had done something unheard of by many of her kind. After all, even after all that Rainbow had tried to teach her coven, very few of them trusted the werewolves enough to get along.

It was why, on that night, Rainbow had left her coven. It wasn’t unheard of, many vamponies sought asylum elsewhere even after the first few centuries. And of course, just because Rainbow wasn’t living with them didn’t mean she was sworn away for the rest of eternity.

It was why - she supposed - the vamponies reacted so strongly when Storm had explained Rainbow’s new housing arrangements. Even now, Rainbow somewhat regretted turning Storm, but she was an exceptional hunter and somepony she was very glad about having on the team of collectors. It was why Rainbow felt comfortable enough leaving her coven, knowing that there were those that could take over and lead the hunt in her absence.

Still, Rainbow missed her coven. Despite the uproar that she had brought upon herself the previous evening, she still wished she could creep back into that lair and curl up by the crackling fire amongst others of her kind, safe in the knowledge that together, they were strong.

Rainbow let out a sigh as she dropped from the ceiling, landing nimbly on her hooves. That dream had brought back painful memories, not to mention the familiar feeling of home sickness twisting at her gut. She supposed this was how Applejack felt most of the time.

But no… not any more.

With a flap of her wings, Rainbow swept out of her room and down the hallway, finally landing in their main living space. A few cabinets and a wooden table with two chairs at its side made up their kitchen and a worn sofa that sat by a tiny fireplace completed their sitting room.

Rainbow’s ears splayed down against her head as she located Applejack, passed out on the tattered couch. Twilight’s paper card lay abandoned on the floor next to her.

Rainbow trotted carefully towards the exhausted werewolf and, with great care, she picked the card up in her teeth. Gently, she dropped it onto Applejack’s chest and smiled weakly as she made a noise of acknowledgment in her sleep.

Rainbow sighed as she began to back away. “You really do deserve better, AJ.”

Before she could turn away, however, Applejack’s eyes cracked open. Just like when Rainbow had first found her, the orange supernatural carefully scanned the area before opening her eyes completely.

“R-Rainbow Dash?” Applejack asked before a yawn claimed her. As she stretched, she found the small card lying on her chest. “Did yah…?”

“I get it AJ,” Rainbow said weakly, “I mean… I think it would be great if you could live up there on Equestria… back with the ponies you know.” Rainbow tried to smile, but only a grimace showed for her efforts. “After all, you’re not a monster.”

Applejack didn’t know what to say and for a very long time she remained absolutely silent. “Rainbow,” she sighed finally, “we’ve been over this… Ah can’t go up there. Like yer said… Ah wouldn’t last one Lunar Cycle.”

“But you deserve it!” Rainbow insisted as she trotted closer to her friend. “You can control it! I told you, it’s not impossible. Others have done it before you.”

Applejack shook her head. “RD… Ah’m not leavin’ yer. Not after all you’ve done fer me.”

Rainbow’s eyes hardened. “I can take care of myself, AJ, I‘m a thousand years old for Nightmare Moon‘s sake!”

Applejack rolled her eyes as she pushed herself up off the sofa. “If yer want this fer me, then why don’t ya’ll come with me?”

Rainbow frowned. “Yeah… well… maybe I could!”

Applejack gaped at her before a smile cracked at her lips. “You're havin’ me on aintcha?”

Rainbow’s wings flapped at her back impatiently. “I’m not,” she grumbled. “I mean it AJ! I… I know what it’s like to feel alone. And… well, my coven don’t need me any more. You saw how they were last night.”

Applejack brushed past Rainbow on her way to the kitchen, she still wasn’t entirely sure whether to believe her friend or not. Instead, she began to peruse through the half-rotten food in their pantry. With a look of mild disgust, Applejack found an apple that wasn’t too bad looking and picked it up with her teeth. She took a bite before dropping the fruit into her hoof. “Rainbow, it’s ah nice thought, really. But Ah was jokin’. You’re a vampony… it’d be way too hard fer yah.”

“You don’t know vamponies like I do!” Rainbow persisted as she followed Applejack out of the kitchen and back towards the sofa. “We’re masters of disguise. You know the drill! I can hide my bat wings… make them look all pegasus-like.”

Applejack rolled her eyes as she took another bite of her half-rotten fruit. “Ah wasn’t talkin’ ‘bout yer wings RD. Ah was thinkin’ ‘bout yer restraint.”

Rainbow paused. She hadn’t thought about that. She’d been so passionate about helping Applejack out that she hadn’t even considered what this would do to her.

It wasn’t unheard of for vamponies to go for great lengths without drinking blood, but if this Twilight really did live in Ponyville, well, Rainbow knew how to raid the hospital there like the back of her hoof. Still… if she wanted to help her friend, well, who would be helping her? After all, she’d never tried to live amongst living and breathing ponies before, what with their varying blood types and luscious scents… Rainbow’s mouth was watering just thinking about it.

“Well… I…” Rainbow fell speechless, “I… Why don’t we talk to that Twilight again?”

Applejack perked up to that. “Yer mean it?”

Rainbow shrugged. “We could go at night, when nopony’s around. The least we can do is ask about the offer… I mean… if what Twilight said was true, if other supernaturals can live up there… then why can’t we?”

Applejack smiled hopelessly as she threw the core of her apple into the fireplace. “You’re a nut RD,” she muttered, “but… Ah’ll humour yah… we’ll go ter Twilight, see what’s on offer.” Applejack felt a warmth creep into her chest as she spoke again. “’Sides, it’d be nice ter see Ponyville again, even if it is fer the last time.”

Author's Note:

Sorry it took so long, guys! My laptop completely crapped out on me and I had to rewrite the entire chapter from scratch! Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I've decided to keep the term werewolf for now, considering 'lycan' means a creature that can control their change. Applejack cannot. Also, just to sum up some confusion, this story is set at a time that Nightmare Moon or Princess Luna is still banished in the moon.

Comments ( 28 )

finally a new chapter :pinkiehappy:

3445002 The next chapter, I promise. :twilightsmile:

3445051 Something tells me that if Fluttershy is the ghost of this story; then she probably died by falling down the stairs or something since it happened in both UK and USA versions, or it could've been a flight accident. Don't know:applejackunsure:

3445315 I'm calling something more animal related like rabies or being mauled

I approve! Please, write more!

You can't call them werewolves go with something else like wolfblood or something. The were in werewolf comes from old English it means man. I don't think you can call then manwolves unless there human.and besides lycans still have to learn don't they?

So, are werewolves in this story fully pony except for full moon nights? Or are they always able to transform / have healing factor, but transform involuntarily under full moon? (and how does that work when they are underground?) AJ's diet seems to suggest that she can handle potential food poisoning even on normal nights.

im liking where this is going, sadly its on hiatus, please continue when you can... thank you, in the meantime, il just imagine what happens in my head... i could always write good stories, but its so boring to write sometimes, so i don’t... whatever. keep it up! likes from me!

RC

Update. It is a great sotory.

3445051 plis Continue I want to read more of this:flutterrage::twilightangry2::yay:

Moar

Hero: I would also want some Moar.


>Ecocat<
E~

Hello, if you need help to come up for the next chapter. Then I would like to help you, you could email me at : kiaraarevalo@yahoo.com . I am mostly available at any time thank you for at least taking your time to see this, bye.

Please update! It's an amazing story! Please?? :fluttercry: :applecry: :fluttershysad: .:raritycry: :raritydespair:

Pleeeeeeeease update. It's been months. Literally. I'm not the only one asking by the looks of it.

i like it

Please update!!!!!! PLEASE!?!?!?!!!!?!!?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand its dead.
:fluttercry:

This is a Being Human parody! :rainbowderp::duck::unsuresweetie::fluttershysad:Ahhhhh! I BUCKING LOVE YOU MAN!:flutterrage::rainbowkiss::rainbowwild::yay:

Why the buck aren't u updating?:rainbowhuh:

I ROOT FOR BOTH BAT PONYIES AND WEREWOLVES
MAINLY THE WOLVES

I'm a bit too late to ask if this will continue aren't I? XD
Oh well I enjoyed it while it lasted :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment