• Published 25th Sep 2013
  • 13,330 Views, 389 Comments

All for You - Stryke



It was never supposed to end like this. Princess Cadance has saved all of Equestria from the changeling threat. What comes next isn't going to be half as easy. One wedding may be cancelled, but a new engagement has begun.

  • ...
73
 389
 13,330

Chapter 10: All My Thoughts She Does Consume


The once shining crystalline cavern contained hundreds of changelings, and all of them were staring at Twilight Sparkle.

<"Well?"> she shouted out. <"Don't you all want another chance at Canterlot?">

The changelings continued to stare back at her. There was barely a flutter of transparent wings or the rustle of chitin to be heard.

<"All I want is the chance to put things back to how they were."> Twilight stood her ground. She refused to be intimidated no matter how disconcerting all this silent attention was. <"I can help you get what you all want!">

'Liar.'

Twilight visibly flinched as the thought landed in her head. There should only be one other thinking in her mind, and not only was he currently delirious, he wasn't female either. The voice sounded far too familiar to Twilight Sparkle as her eyes went wide and her ears flattened against her head.

The overwhelming silence was broken by the sound of approaching hooves on stone. A cream unicorn appeared from out of darkness, and the gathered drones stepped aside to let her pass.

'Hello Twilight Sparkle,' thought the changeling at her. 'Be a good daughter, and have a kiss ready for your...' She paused, and flashed her a wide smile filled with warmth, but also with far too many razor-sharp fangs. 'Broodmother.'

"H-How?" asked Twilight, backing up several steps away from the changeling impersonating her own mother, right down to her three star cutie mark to the purple and white mane.

‘I'm sure that it's more than simple enough for you to understand, my daughter,’ came the silken words directly into her mind.

"You're not my mother!" snapped Twilight. “Change to somepony else. Anypony else!”

‘But you are my daughter,’ whispered the changeling's thoughts. ‘Now that you are of the hive, Twilight Sparkle. As are the rest of my sons and daughters whether they are from one of my own spawnings or not.’

She could feel her tail twitching behind her. "Dusk lied to me," Twilight said, in a far too high-pitched panicky tone for her own liking.

‘He did not. I merely know his mind and through his I see something of yours,’ the broodmother thought in a perfect imitation of Twilight Velvet’s voice. ‘I could hardly perform my role in caring for the wellbeing of the hive if I could not. Can your own mother really not do the same?’

Twilight was about to protest, but then she remembered the real Twilight Velvet's near psychic abilities in determining when the cookie jar had been accessed without permission and shrugged instead.

“But why take the form of my real mother?” Twilight asked despairingly.

The broodmother ran a hoof through her mane and stretched out her back. <“It seemed appropriate,”> she said playfully, swapping to the changeling tongue.

Now Twilight’s initial shock had worn off she noticed that the broodmother hadn’t exactly imitated Twilight Velvet exactly, but her as a mare in her prime not much older than herself. Her natural curiosity got the better of her fear and anger, and she asked, "You can really hear the thoughts of every changeling at once?"

<“Of course not,”> she said, her eyes dancing. <“That would be awfully loud to put up with all the time.”>

“Did Dusk know that?” Twilight asked, struggling to process this new information.

“It probably never crossed his mind. Both the swarm lords that I have known have never paid much attention to my role in the hive .” The broodmother sighed, and made a vague gesture to her right. “Okay, see that drone over there.”

Twilight turned to look, but with the sheer mass of drones she had no idea which one the broodmother was talking about. She was sure that they could probably tell each other apart, but unfortunately most of the changelings looked pretty much the same to her. “Uh, which one?”

The broodmother rolled her eyes. “Drone, if you’d be so kind.”

One of the drones in the indistinguishable crowd nodded, and turned into a pony that Twilight couldn’t place immediately. After racking her mind, Twilight realised that she had taken the form of a mare who had recently moved from the mayor’s office in Ponyville to work in the royal palace of Canterlot. She looked almost entirely different without her glasses. The imitation Raven nodded once, and flashed her a quick friendly smile.

<“The drone is currently thinking that she hopes that you will be reasonable,” the broodmother said. <”She also thinks that you’re very brave to come down here all alone where anything could happen if you were suitably distracted,”>

The drone’s borrowed eyes flicked from side to side, and her entire body started to tremble.

<”She’s now thinking that she’s also never really considered that I can look into her thoughts anytime that I want,”> the broodmother explained, as the Raven-drone began to visibly sweat. <”Oh dear, now she’s trying really hard not to think that I’m a disturbing freak, as I might not permit her to participate when the next time of breeding comes. She’s now moved on to panicking over the fact that she’ll never have the chance to have a brood of nymphlings of her own, that her own mother was right about everything, and wishing that she’d never even left the badlands with the rest of the hive.”> The broodmother turned back to Twilight. <”Honestly, I really don’t mind.”>

“This is so very, very wrong,” Twilight muttered to herself, as the Raven-drone visibly relaxed.

<"Now, why don't you let us know why you're really here,"> the broodmother said, and more than loud enough for everything in the cavern to hear her.

Twilight hesitated. and then set her jaw firmly. "I need your help."

<"And why would you think that we'd be interested in doing something like that?">

Twilight swallowed as she glanced at the scores of changeling all around her, and all of them were observing her with interest. "I'm pretty certain that I can undo what Princess Cadance did to your queen."

<"Former queen"> the broodmother corrected sharply. Somehow she'd got her clicks and snarls to hit the exact tone that Twilight Velvet had used to reprimand her daughter as a filly, and Twilight had to repress a shudder at the disturbing familiarity.

"I can do it," Twilight insisted.

<"But what's in it for us?"> the broodmother pressed.

"You were winning until she did that, remember?" Twilight said. “You had Canterlot entirely under your hooves.”

<"That is true,"> she conceded. <"Still, the ponies are prepared now, and we have no queen to lead us..."> The broodmother gave Twilight a speculative once over. <"Or do we?">

Twilight took a step back and started channelling energy into her horn in preparation for a quick escape. "No."

<"Now, there's no need for that kind of behaviour,"> the broodmother chided. <"Haven't you ever wanted a pair of wings to go with that horn of yours?">

"Not from you," Twilight stated firmly, shifting in place as something wet moved around her hooves.

<"Are you sure?"> the broodmother asked. <”All I’m asking is that you consider it. What’s the harm in that?">

Twilight shook her head. Partially to convey her disagreement, and partially due to the sticky slime that was dripping from above onto her mane and down her back. "No, just no."

<"We need a queen,"> the broodmother stated. <"So, who do you offer us?">

Twilight swallowed hard. Her back legs twitched as if something was slowly winding its way up them. "Princess Cadance," she said quietly, feeling her guts twist into knots inside her. "I'll do everything I can to stop you, but with her disoriented after the spell this is the best chance that you're going to get." She tried to reassure herself that even they did take her former foalsitter all of Equestria would move to get her back, but it didn't help. Twilight knew that she'd crossed a line even considering it. There just wasn't any other way to put things right, and she absolutely had to put things right.

<"There, was that really so hard?">

"I will stop you," Twilight promised, though her voice was shaky and not currently likely to convince anyone. Her head was swimming, and the facsimile of her mother seemed blurry and indistinct before her eyes.

<"That's nice, dear."> the broodmother said, as her horn began to glow with a pale green light.

~~~

Chrysalis burst into the room that had once been hers. Cadance was sitting in front of the mirror, and was putting on some final touches to her appearance. The scorch mark that had been left on her by Firebrand's magic had been transformed into a stylised black flame that now decorated her cheek.

She spun at the sudden entrance and her eyes widened. "Chrysalis!" she said, and then looked the changeling over. "No offence, my love," she said sweetly. "But you look terrible."

Chrysalis pulled off the battered pink boa and flung it to the side. "Please, I..." She paused, and then lowered her head. "We need to talk."

Cadance let out a small laugh. "Can't it wait until after we're married?"

"No."

Cadance stood up away from the mirror and frowned. "Whatever could be the matter?" she asked, her eyes widening as she realized just how upset her lover clearly was. "It's not the other changelings again, is it?"

"It's not the other changelings," Chrysalis said, still unable or unwilling to meet Cadance's eyes. "It's about us."

"You're leaving me?" Cadance spluttered. "You can't do that. You just can't."

"No," Chrysalis said quickly. "It's about what you did to me."

"You were the one that invaded us," Cadance said firmly. Her jaw was a tight line. "I did what I had to."

Chrysalis waved a hoof through the air in a sweeping motion. "Not that. When you stopped acting like a princess and started acting like a queen."

There was a deathly period of silence and the air crackled with tension.

"And what exactly do you mean by that?" Cadance's tone was clipped and practically dripped with regal authority.

Chrysalis flinched as if her lover's tone was a whip that had caught her full in the face, but she raised her head to meet Cadance's eyes. "You forced me to change my mind," she said, keeping her tone level and free of accusation. "Just like a changeling queen would do."

Cadance laughed harshly. "And you have a problem with that?"

"Please, Cadance," Chrysalis said softly. "Just listen to me."

Cadance was struck by the changeling's tone and made a visible effort to control herself. "But... but, I thought you were okay with it," she said, her tone was pleading and desperate. "You said so yourself."

"I thought I was," Chrysalis admitted. "But I don't want to be your pet, and I certainly don't want to be your drone. I just want to be yours, Cadance."

"I..." Cadance's wings were shaking.

"But, I also want you to be all mine."

Cadance looked away from Chrysalis to stare at her reflection in the mirror.

After several minutes of horrible silence, Chrysalis asked, "Cadance?"

Cadance lightly touched a hoof to the flame decorating her cheek and pursed her lips. "I..." She trailed off, and then turned to Chrysalis to face her properly. "I'm sorry. You must hate me," she said flatly, and a tear trickled down the side of her face. "I'm a monster."

"No!" Chrysalis yelled, the fire of the would be conqueror returning to her voice. She wrapped her forehooves around Cadance to hold her close. "I love you. No matter what you've done."

"Only because I made you," Cadance whispered, with a sniff.

"Not anymore," Chrysalis insisted. "You're smart, caring, you exercise power over others like you were born to it, and you are absolutely heart-stoppingly beautiful." She felt Cadance lean into the hug, and continued. "If you had not done what you did I'd never have fallen in love with you for real and that makes me the luckiest changeling that has ever been."

Cadance suddenly pulled away. She glanced at the mirror and the black flame displayed there. "I don't think I can stop," she said quietly. "I'm not even sure that I want to."

"I don't want you to stop," Chrysalis insisted, snuggling back up a little closer. "I love you, and all that I ask is that you love me in return."

"But, I don't understand," Cadance asked, her voice shaking. "I asked whether you were okay with it, and you said yes. Why would you feel that you had to lie to me?"

"I'm so sorry for not telling you straight away, but I just didn't realise that it felt wrong," Chrysalis said. "It took last night to realise how much it was hurting that you were now doing to me what I had done to Shining Armour."

"Oh, Chrysalis!" Cadance cried, and buried her face into the changeling's shoulder. “I can’t believe I ever thought would be okay to do to you,” she said, with her voice somewhat muffled. "It was just that being the monster that had captured the heart of the changeling queen was so much easier than realising that I chose to do everything that I did, and that I really did like it too."

She held the sobbing alicorn there until the flow of tears began to slow.

Cadance looked up and pulled a forehoof across her watery eyes. "What did I ever do to deserve you?" she asked.

"Being you is enough," Chrysalis replied, and placed a quick kiss on the other mare's horn.

"I won't ever use my magic on you again," Cadance said seriously, and rested a hoof lightly on Chrysalis' chest

Chrysalis' form shifted around her until another Cadance was holding her close. "I'm still going to use mine so I'm sure there might be the odd occasion when I really don't mind," the mirror Cadance said huskily, and shifted herself against her.

"Okay, okay," the genuine Cadance said, as she gazed at her double under hooded eyelids. "But I will always ask permission first."

"That works for me," Chrysalis replied, and smiled back.

"So, what now?

"Well," Chrysalis ventured. "According to what Pinkie was saying in regard to the schedule of talks like this then we should be making kissy faces by now," she explained seriously.

"I have heard that Pinkie Pie is a very smart mare," agreed Cadance in an equally serious tone. "A certified genius in fact."

They managed to hold the sombre expressions for all of two seconds before collapsing into a fit of giggles.

After that had turned into a very enthusiastic and copious amounts of kissing, Chrysalis very reluctantly pulled herself away. In between gasping for breath, she managed to say, "I really should go. Rarity was yelling something about absolutely having to do a proper fitting when I left her behind at the station."

"Go, go," agreed Cadance, who was also breathing heavily. "There's barely just over an hour until we're both supposed to be walking down the aisle."

Chrysalis' eyes widened. "Oh by Majesty's pointy horn," she swore loudly. Moments later she had galloped from the room leaving an upturned ponyquin in her wake.

Cadance watched her go, and unable to help herself, went back to staring at the mare that she was not sure that she recognised any more in the mirror.

~~~

Twilight threw open the two heavy double doors with about as much magical force as she had once used to lift an ursa minor. The resulting crash was loud enough to shatter several of the stained glass windows, and send some of the more panicky ponies present into uncontrollable screaming fits. Dusk followed her into the room and quickly scanned around for anypony that might get in their way.

An immense earth pony guard leapt at her in a flying tackle. Apparently that kind of entrance was going to garner such a response even if you were the princess' favourite student. Dusk met him in mid-air and they were soon wrestling in a frenzy of muscle, chitin and hooves. Twilight stepped past them lightly.

"No!" Chrysalis screeched. "Not again!" The former queen stood by Cadance and Celestia, wearing a simple bridal veil, along with a stunned expression of utter disbelief that such a thing could happen to the same changeling twice.

Princess Celestia stepped forward, probably to ask what the meaning of this was, but she never got the chance.

From every window in the hall, formerly broken by Twilight's entrance or otherwise, a flood of black changeling bodies poured into the room. Within a matter of seconds Celestia and Luna had been buried under the sheer numbers that the swarm of drones could bring to bear. They wouldn't be able to hold them for long, and already battered drones were being sent flying in all directions, but Twilight didn't need very long at all to do what she came for.

She sought out her targets. Chrysalis was still shaking her head in utter disbelief and tearing her veil to pieces. Cadance was by her side and was saying something that Twilight for some reason couldn't make out. Not that it would matter for long. She scanned about for her brother and conveniently he was charging right down the aisle. What a wonderful brother to make this so easy. She didn't just want to do this; she needed to do this. It was not like anypony was going to get hurt. The love was just going to be moved back around to the proper places. If anything if that changeling had any decency she’d actually thank Twilight when she was done for setting her free.

Twilight gave life to the spell that she had been holding in preparation and a torrential surge of energy sought out Cadance's, that changeling's and her own brother's horns. She'd had to adapt Cadance's spell somewhat as otherwise she might have ended up desperately in love with her own brother, and that would just be way too creepy. Unable to help herself she let out a dark laugh of sheer satisfaction. This is so easy! She should have done this days ago and saved everypony the trouble of having to make nice to that monster.

And that was when she witnessed exactly what she was doing to Chrysalis.

She was flopping around and writhing like a bug caught under a magnifying glass. The odd misshapen holes in her legs—that had been slowly sealing over the last couple of days, Twilight realised—had returned with a vengeance and were getting larger and larger. No longer were they were confined to legs, and were now pulling themselves open all over her body. The sound of flesh and chitin ripping open was truly terrible, but it was nothing compared to Chrysalis' anguished screams as the love was torn away from her.

In abject horror at what she had wrought Twilight tried to stop the spell, but it had gone too far, and she'd would have more luck trying to move the sun and moon at once than stopping now. She wanted to scream that this wasn't what she wanted, but caught in the grip of her spell, all she could do was watch.

Everything else after that came to her as a series of static snapshots that burned into her mind. Princess Cadance being dragged away in floods of silent tears by several changeling drones. The look of horror in each one of her friend's faces. The terrible expressions of imminent wrath on the princesses as they pulled themselves free of the mass of bodies. Those in the crowd calling out in fear as they were crushed in the saddened stampede to flee. Her brother wordlessly calling her name.

And above it all the sound of the former changeling queen's broken screams.

~~~

Twilight woke up with a start as the cocoon fell to pieces around her. The changeling immediately held her close in a comforting motherly hug, softly stroking her mane until she had stopped hyperventilating quite so badly.

"W-Would that really have happened?" Twilight eventually managed to ask.

The broodmother shrugged. <"Possibly,"> she replied non-committally. <"Losing that much love all at once I can't imagine would be at all healthy. Then again Chrysalis might have been completely fine. I've got no idea really.">

"So—"

<"Why trap you in a cocoon and put you through that?"> asked the broodmother to complete the thought. <"Diplomacy.">

"Diplomacy?!" Twilight yelled, her voice breaking with the strain.

<"Indeed,"> the changeling agreed. <"Your Princess informed Chrysalis that she willing to offer our hive a place in Equestria.">

"She did?" Twilight said, feeling decidedly sick to her stomach. She knew intellectually that none of what she had just been through had been real, and only a forced mental illusion from the changeling cocoon, but even as a worst case scenario it had profoundly unsettled her.

<"Indeed,"> the broodmother agreed, with a warm, friendly smile. <"After I relayed the offer to the hive once I knew of it, most of us collectively agreed that this is the best course of action to take to guarantee a better future. Would you like to call me Velvet by the way? It might help you to calm down. ">

Twilight's brow furrowed. "Uh huh, Velvet," she said. "And you stuck me in a cocoon, why?" There was no heat in her voice. She was far too shaken to be angry at the mental violation for now. With a pained realisation she knew that she was far more disturbed that she could have inadvertently inflicted such a horrific fate on anything in the name of making amends.

<"I'm sure such a fine young clever mare like yourself can work that out.">

She considered her words carefully as she fought down the memory of those screams. "Now you've got something that you really want you couldn't have any more disruption," Twilight said slowly. "If you'd have hurt me or turned me into a new changeling queen Princess Celestia would never have forgiven you and I don't like to think what she might have been capable of doing then." She closed her eyes to banish the sudden vision of a Canterlot in flames and littered with far too many piles of ash.

<"Those who don't learn from history,"> intoned Velvet, who was still holding her reassuringly in a motherly embrace, and then she smirked. <"Well, I'm sure you know the rest.">

"Given I wasn't in any mood to be dissuaded," Twilight said, placing her forehooves lightly against the changeling's chest. "If I hadn't got any help from the hive I might well have tried the spell anyway at the wedding..."

<"Which could well have traumatized you if you had hurt Chrysalis or worse, which would have left the princesses looking for something to blame, and on past form they’d have certainly taken it out on the hive,"> noted Velvet. <"We're even going to have a queen again! Sure, we all will call Celestia the Princess like you ponies do, but every changeling will know what we really mean.">

Twilight sighed. "Fine, I do see the logic," she admitted. "Still, it wasn't exactly nice—"

<"Changeling, remember?"> Velvet pointed out. <"Being 'nice' is not something that we're really known for. We'll have a go at learning to fit in, but it's not going to happen overnight.">

Twilight pushed the broodmother away from her, and breaking the hug. <"I suppose not,"> she said. <"Couldn't you have done something to stop all this before? Just speaking up in support of Dusk would have helped.">

<"Why would I have wanted to do that?"> Velvet asked. Her expression was alien on her far too familiar face. <"Firebrand's plan might well have worked, and that would also have been acceptable. It didn't, and so the hive adjusts.">

Velvet laughed when she saw Twilight's expression. <"It was for the greater good,"> she explained.

"And by the greater good you mean what's good for the hive, right?"

<"Of course,"> Velvet said, baring her fangs into a smile full of pride. <"I'm so glad that you understand. Dusk was right to trust you."> She gave Twilight a serious look. <"So, what will you do now?">

Twilight sat silently in thought, and then looked up to stare at the changeling. "She hurt my brother."

<"She did,"> agreed Velvet pleasantly.

"I don't think I can forgive that," Twilight said. "Not easily. I don’t think I can forgive you either for putting me through that, even if I can understand why you thought you were helping."

<"We're not asking you to,"> Velvet said, her eyes gleaming in the low light. <"So, what are you going to do?">

Twilight Sparkle stood up and looked all around the cavern and at all the changelings that were still observing her. "You can start by showing me where Dusk is."

~~~

"I so wish that Twilight was here for this," Fluttershy said, and sighed heavily. She watched Chrysalis slowly pacing up the aisle with her face covered with a veil, and made a few quick gestures to instruct her bird choir to come to the crescendo. She winced slightly as the blue warbler hit a somewhat discordant note, before breathing out in relief that nopony had seemed to notice. "Doesn't she look absolutely radiant?"

Trixie leaned over and lightly nibbled on her ear causing her to giggle, and squeal out, "H-Hey!"

"She's got nothing on you," Trixie said confidently. "Or Rarity of course." She paused to study the other pony standing beside her that had so unexpectedly won her heart. "You've known her far longer than I have. When do you think she'll stop twitching?"

"Um... She'll be fine I'm sure," Fluttershy said, also looking towards the mare that she had never thought she'd get so close to, but had always secretly hoped. Rarity was gazing off into space with the fixed unhinged grin of a fashion designer who, on top of creating several masterpieces in less than a day with no notice, had then somehow managed to pull off a full bridal fitting in the space of twenty minutes with a brain-splitting hangover. "She'll be fine," Fluttershy repeated, possibly more to reassure herself than Trixie.

Trixie adjusted her new floppy hat, decorated with several belts and stars, and stroked her flowing purple dress that was edged with black fishnet that Rarity had thrown together in seemingly no time at all. She had been so happy with the outfit that she’d engaged in a bout of hoof-kissing out of sheer gratitude on her new unicorn marefriend that hadn’t got at all weird or uncomfortable. “Hey, are you okay?” she said, wrapping a forehoof around Rarity’s neck.

Rarity jumped slightly, and then shook her head. “Sorry,” she said quietly, as Celestia started to address all the gathered ponies in the hall for the wedding. “Think I’m still running on nothing but the last dregs of adrenalin after getting through all that.”

“Well, this should be nice and peaceful,” Trixie said, also managing to keep her voice down. “Trixie has performed at several weddings in her time, and has never seen anything more exciting than a tipsy guest knocking over the cake.”

That was when the closed doors to the royal hall slammed open revealing two figures standing at the entrance. Trixie’s jaw dropped. “Okay, so I might have been mistaken about that...”