• Published 10th Jan 2014
  • 4,193 Views, 124 Comments

Mother shows Best - Skyeheart



Trixie's mother has come to Manehattan, and she's here to drag her prodigal daughter back to Canterlot and take up her house's title, whether she wants to or not! Set in the Manehattanverse.

  • ...
5
 124
 4,193

Act 7: The Great and Powerful Return

Luna had begun to set the moon when the castle gates opened to have the mass of nobles finally flock out to depart for their homes, all in seemingly good spirits. The stuffy olive and grey unicorn pair even gave a tip of their designer fashion sweaters off to the thestral guards as they left.

Following the end of Trixie's performance, the members of the royal council had fallen into a lighthearted series of pleasantries such as 'what were we arguing about again?' and 'you know what? It doesn't matter' and even 'maybe we can start over on the right hoof this time'. Celestia had wasted no time in using this good mood to her advantage and steered the topic of discussion back to Luna's position. With a few more careful choice words, a unanimous agreement to follow the two Princesses' initial plan to share the duties of the throne and cycles amongst the both of them as they saw fit, no more or less, was reached instantly.

Now the court room was, albeit more messy, completely cleared and empty save for a few key players that lingered to tie some loose ends.


Hoplite grumbled to himself as he finished sweeping up the last of the shredded papers into the trash bag. Assassins, thieves, and spies my hoof! "This is all your fault Lethe..."

"Really? How so, big guy?"

The day guard recruit turned to his night guard companion with an indignant scowl. "You knew I misread the situation, yet you still egged me on!"

"Exactly, you misread the situation. How's that my fault?"

"Guards are paired for a reason, private Lethe. It's so that one can correct the other when they do something wrong, not make it worse for their own amusement!"

"Hey, relax. Nopony got hurt in the end."

Hoplite gaped, his face a pure look of exasperation as he then struggled to keep his voice indoor level. "I assaulted the Princess because of you!"

"And got to see coolest magic show in history. Gotta say, those Northern Blues made you quite the knockout."

Hoplite just groaned. Forget any earlier positive thoughts he had about his assigned partner, Lethe was the worst! Not an ounce of seriousness in her body! That magic act hadn't been an entertainment, it had been a miracle. If the Princesses hadn't been in such good spirits afterwards, their jobs probably would have been the least of their worries. They were only doubly lucky that Princess Celestia and Princess Luna suddenly needed an operative on hoof for a special secret assignment of getting rid of all these classified documents.

Miracles don't happen on a regular basis though. He had to find a way soon to keep Lethe in line, or at least wise up to her tricks, otherwise he'd never make it to Princess Celestia's personal escort.

A slight rumble in his gut reminded him that in all the confusion of the night, he had missed dinner when his shift was supposed to have ended two hours ago.

"Want one?"

Hoplite turned to see Lethe munching on a flaky powdered pastry she had fetched from the overturned cart. She dangled another one on the tip of her hoof. "Last one of the batch..." she teased with her mouth full, "Mmm, lemon filling."

"Lethe, those weren't meant for...oh, forget it." Hoplite was just too tired and hungry to care about Lethe's minor infringements anymore for the night. If anything, I should at least be glad she saved me one...

But as he reached for it, she moved the treat out of his reach. "Ah ah ah ah..." she wagged her other hoof, "you gotta beg for it!"

"Lethe, please. I'm tired, I'm hungry, and I've been degraded more times than I can count tonight. I just want to toss these sacks in the furnace like the Princesses asked, get this over with and go to bed without any more hassle. Please, no more antics tonight."

His partner just grinned. "You gotta do better than that. On your knees and pant like a dog, or a lip quiver, that'll look so cute on you..."

"Lethe..."

"Too bad! Guess you didn't really want it then." Lethe swallowed her portion and then opened her mouth wide.

"No, wait!" Lethe looked expectantly at Hoplite as he knelt down, resigning himself to her whim as he figured it was the fastest way to get through this at this point. "Please, just give me this one bit of relief and no more funny business for the rest of this night and I'll do anything."

"Anything?" Lethe wagged her eyebrows.

Hoplite already had a feeling he was going to regret this, but he was desperate to end this shift with her. "I swear to Celestia..."

"I'll hold you to that," Lethe said she booped him on the nose. "One big juicy you owe me for anything that I can call on at any time or place, no ifs, ands, or buts. And what kind of guard would you be if you didn't keep your word?"

Hoplite solemnly nodded, and then Lethe put on the most angelic face, gave him the pastry, and then patted him on the head. "Good boy! Now was that so difficult?"

He chose not to answer as they made their way out of the court room and into the hallway that led to the basements. Still, the flavor explosion he got when he took his first bite made him think that somehow, it was all worth it. Lethe was finally behaving like a proper soldier for at least the rest of the night and this baked good was pretty darn tasty. I'd give my compliments to the chefs if I wasn't pretty sure I need to steer clear of them for a few weeks.

And as they turned the corner, a line of brandished wooden spoons awaited them. Hoplite nearly chocked on his next bite as Ram Sea towered over him with a smirk.

"Believe it or no, Ah actually ain't the one ye shoulda be fearin' most right now."

He stepped aside to let a tan mare slowly approach with daggers in her eyes. "Where're. my. beignets?" she lowly drawled.

"Beignets?" Hoplite muttered with specks of crumbs leaving his mouth. His eyes then rolled down to his left hoof, which still had a half eaten aforementioned pastry in it's grip, then back to the scowling exchange chef who did not take kindly to dessert thieves.

Yep, it looked like KP duty for the next month or so.

Lethe on the other hoof, took the moment to look innocent and glance away out the nearby window, where she saw a red, orange, and yellow fiery bird swoop by, pausing only to give her a feathery 'nyah nyah nyah nyah boo boo' before disappearing out of sight again.

"Hey, Hoplite? Remember that favor you owe me? I just thought of it."


"That was totally wicked!" Honey said as the group was assembled at the castle entrance. "It had to have been your best performance yet!"

"But of course!" Trixie crowed. "Was there ever any doubt?"

"Verily, it is good to have you back to your old self Trixie," Sherbet said.

"It's good to be back auntie," Trixie agreed.

The only one who seemed mopey out of the six of them was Twilight, which Blossomforth soon noticed.

"Hey, cheer up Twilight. It's all good," she encouraged. "Trixie's back to normal, we're not in trouble, and the nobles are no longer arguing over Princess Luna. Plus, she's back sharing the throne with Princess Celestia just as they both wanted."

"But I wasn't able to repeal the old matriarchy laws," Twilight pointed out with dismay. "Don't you see? After all this, the fact hasn't changed that Moonlight can keep her trapped here in Canterlot so long as she says so."

"Twilight Sparkle is absolutely correct."

The six mares froze as Moonlight Meridian Lulamoon descended the front steps to approach them.

"Beatrix is still a part of the Lulamoon family. And as head of the family, I maintain absolute authority over each and every one of its members."

Honey began to flare her wings as she and Octavia flanked Trixie's sides, almost ready to physically bar the elder mare's way to her daughter, but Trixie gently eased them aside.

"It's alright. I can do this on my own this time."

She then walked forward and met her mother in the middle. Eyes never falling away from contact, she took a deep breath and spoke up to her. "Mother, this evening I acted against your orders, and therefore you are fit to punish me as you see fit without objection. You have every right to keep me here and force me to take up the mantle of a noble. And there is nothing preventing you from criticizing me and being disappointed in my past, present, and future actions."

She then turned her cheek proudly. "But there is nothing you can say or do that will stop me from being who I am. I am a magician, a lover of performance and a practitioner of tricks. I will always prefer to seek the adoration and applause of an audience than to command over them with admonishment and power. Most importantly, I am these ponies' friend. And while you can push me around however you like, I will never let you do the same to any of them."

She waited for sharp and cold reprimand that would follow, but as a minute passed and none came, she turned back to meet her mother's gaze, which suddenly looked distant and thoughtful.

"You are correct Beatrix. No law or rule can ever subjugate another pony's individual will. You presume much, however, to believe I will be punishing you for your actions."

Puzzlement washed over her and the rest of the Manehattanettes as Moonlight slowly broke away to walk over to a statue of Princess Celestia standing proudly in the courtyard.

"Do you know, Beatrix? What the role of a leader is? We strive to act as a guide to those who look to us as one. The average everyday questions ponies ask themselves hold more uncertainty than there are grains within an hourglass. Listening and clearing that uncertainty is what will turn inaction to decision, and thus it is the role of a leader to be an answer figure to those with questions of their own roles, that we know the most correct choice they must take."

She looked up wistfully at Celestia's graceful smile. "There are times, however, when we ourselves find ourselves asking the very same questions our followers come to us with. We are confronted with the unknown and perhaps even challenged against long standing points of view by the new and the extraordinary. It is in situations like those a true leader must judge their own character first, reflect upon the actions that have led to this situation and those were involved, and perhaps even challenge the new with something new of their own. Throughout the course of this evening's events, I have inevitably found myself placed in such a situation."

When she turned back to Trixie, a small conceding smile could be seen on her face. "Beatrix, in all my years of experience with politics and hegemony of the royal court, I have never seen a unanimous decision amongst my peers made so quickly and decisively. Nor have I seen a single pony, save for Princess Celestia herself, gain such control over the movement of the court as swiftly and deftly as you have. And I have especially never even once seen such joviality and high spirits inspired into the disposition of the entire Stable of Lords. I cannot say that I fully comprehend how your methods accomplished such a feat, but what I do know is this; what you managed tonight was a different kind of magic, unbound by spell or power, and a feat worthy of the Lulamoon name. Perhaps...no, there is certainly more to a magus' abilities than what their magic can do...and my views on them have been more narrow than I realized."

Trixie's mouth went up and down a few times before her voice could out, hesitant, soft, and hopeful. "Mother? Are you saying...you admit you were...wrong?"

Moonlight's smile seemed to grow ever so slightly. "Beatrix Midsummer Lulamoon the second, I hereby give you a new directive. As I wish to understand more of your ways in magic, I relinquish all hold of my dominion over your position in the family. You are now free to choose how to live your life anyway and anywhere you please."

A happy tear almost broke away from Trixie's eye as she gripped her hat close to her chest. "I choose...I choose to go back to Manehattan, with all my friends!"

She very well nearly collapsed under the weight of the group hug that pounced over her a second later.

"Hey, wait a minute..." Blossomforth pondered after the hugs and laughter died down. "When your mother eventually does retire, how're you going to run your stable from Manehattan?"

"She's not. Since she's free to make her own decisions now, Trixie hereby decides not to be the next matriarch," Trixie primly stated matter-of-factly.

"I suppose I will have to choose another successor then," Moonlight reasoned. "Checkmate will be appointed to your position."

"Me?!"

Everypony turned to see the filthy, bedraggled, and exhausted mare in question crawling out of the gardens, her front hooves gripping a broken branch like it was a walking stick. Her expression was of pure disbelief. "You're...you're actually...officially...naming me the Lulamoon heir?"

"Congratulations Checker," Trixie said. "It's what you've always wanted."

With a new found burst of energy, the little sister went into a complete mood swing. "YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!" She bounced and bounded in circles around the mares like a gleeful little filly, ending with a grateful glomp and nuzzle of her big sister.

"Oh thank you, thank you, thank you, Trixie! If I only knew I simply had to ask, I would have never tormented you for all those years. I take back every mean thing I ever said or did to you and promise to make it all up!"

Honey pried the two apart. "Hold on to that thought," she said as she pulled a certain letter out that she managed to retrieve from Firecracker before Night Light went to escort her and the other Crusaders back to his home.

Checker's pupils suddenly went pinprick tiny as Honey flashed the paper in front of Trixie and whispered into her ear. Trixie's eyes soon widened to an equal degree.

"SHE DID WHAT!?!"


"Again, I am so very very sorry," Twilight Velvet profusely apologized in front of Orange Sherbet. She had returned that night from her publisher's office after a last minute submission to find the house completely deserted save for a certain little dragon on the floor, more rope covering him than scales. "I was gone for thirty minutes, tops! I couldn't possibly have fathomed they'd do something like this."

"It's quite alright dearie. I don't hold it against you," Sherbet replied. "I've had some wild ideas myself when I was a foal and I'm sure you've had too. If it's a mother's job to worry, then it's their children's job to make them worry."

"I suppose that's true." Velvet reminisced a thought off the top of her head. "My little Sparkle did think she could literally live in the royal library for the rest of her life the week she got access to it. She laid out a sleeping bag and was missing from the house for three days before Night Light found her in the biography section. I was at my wit's end the whole time."

The mothers giggled with one another. "Kids," Sherbet figured, "they hit a certain age and think they know everything."

Meanwhile, outside at the front, Night Light lifted the last trunk onto the taxi carriage and Honey tied them down. "That should do it," he said. He then looked his daughter and her dragon. "Sure you want to head out so soon? We'd be more than happy to keep your friend for another night just to recuperate."

"Thanks dad. But considering the crazy stuff that's happened ever since we got here, I think my friends had their fill of Canterlot for a while. Besides..." she looked to the four foals bouncing in their seats inside the carriage. "We need to get these rambunctious tykes home as soon as possible."

"That's an understatement," Spike grumbled. "By the way, I am not sitting next to any of them on the train back."

Twilight chuckled to herself, although she did feel some sympathy for her assistant. She made a mental note to get him a nice big sapphire at the jewelers when they got back. She then walked back to the porch steps to address the only other friend who was in a sour mood, and was still looking disdainfully at her letter of acceptance in a slumped position.

"It's...not that bad Trixie," Twilight tried.

"Fifteen years..." Trixie muttered to herself. "A big one-five of my life...do you know what I could have managed to accomplish at the school in that time?"

"Well, look at it this way. You never would have gone to Manehattan, became our friend and an Element of Harmony. Maybe if you had managed to go all those years ago, you would have been the star student you wanted to prove yourself to be, but you wouldn't have us. I kinda think this was a pretty fair trade. I mean, I'm certainly grateful Princess Celestia didn't let me keep shutting myself in with my studies."

"I'm glad you think so, my faithful student."

Twilight and Trixie immediately looked up to see the descent of not only Princess Celestia, but Princess Luna as well. All other heads knelt low to the ground as they touched down and approached.

"Princess Celestia!" Twilight excitedly rushed up to her side. "What are you doing here?"

Celestia answered in kind with a quick motherly nuzzle down the back of her student's neck. "Now Twilight, it certainly wouldn't sit well with me if I didn't see my prized pupil off at the very least after coming so far to visit. In addition, both Luna and I feel the need to thank you and your friends for your efforts last night. We have a strong suspicion the council proceedings would have been much more mundane and unequivocal were it not for you."

"Verily," Luna agreed. "We owe much to you six, not only restoring our state of mind, but also our status alongside our sister's. There is still much to be done, however. Last night's topics have brought to both our minds that the constitutional archives are well overdue for some through reviewing. There are also a few minor difficulties that have come to light that require some time and effort to clean up. It is fortunate then, that we now have the full backing of our court to make things easier. Their better mood from your actions seems to have also given them a better mindset, as we have never seen them so friendly and cooperative with each other since our return in months. We probably never would have been able to have them all reconcile their pasts with each other if not for you. Although, perhaps it might be wise to try and not make a daily habit of such, unconventional methods."

There was a small unison of 'uh huh' and 'you said it' from everypony while Celestia walked closer to Trixie. She took a good look at the letter she was holding before passing it back to her. "Hmmm," she pondered with a smile, "I was wondering where that particular recommendation ended up."

"Trixie's sorry your favor wasn't put to good use, your majesty," Trixie muttered disappointingly.

"Who says it still can't be?" Celestia pointed to the royal insignia imprinted on the bottom of the paper. "I believe as long as that seal of my approval remains authentic, the invitation to my school still stands."

"Really?!" Trixie's eyes widened at the prospects, but her head turned away in a fluster instantly. "Oh no...I couldn't. I mean...*ahem* Trixie would be honored to but...she can't just stay here locked up in a dorm with nothing but spellbooks and potions. She has a life outside of Canterlot now, a life she just got back! She just doesn't have time for classes and lectures anymore."

"Then perhaps we can offer an alternative solution," Luna said as she joined Celestia's side. "Having much to relearn, we have been immersing ourselves in field of education quite thoroughly. And through our involvement, we have had many major institutions adopt some more flexible policies and program in teaching in recent months under our name, including the extension of self study and intercontinental written exchange."

"Inter...written...what?" Trixie confoundedly asked.

"It's called a correspondence course," Celestia continued. "The university will mail lesson plans, materials, and assignments to your location on a weekly basis. All you need to do is complete the lesson tasks and mail back your work in return. Other than providing a current address, you will be able to earn your degree at your leisure, no matter where you are. Would you like to be signed up for the next semester?"

Trixie's eyes sparkled with excitement. "Oh, yes! Yes yes yes!! *Ahem* I mean...the Great and Powerful Trixie graciously accepts your offer."

Twilight found herself a little less unable to rein in her excitement. "Oh my gosh! You're going to be studying advanced magic just like me! *GASP* Maybe we could work on our lessons together. We can be study buddies! Oh, I've never had a study buddy before! There's so much we can do together, make flash cards, quiz each other on alchemical facts and figures, organize overnight tutoring sessions. Wait, would that last one count as a sleepover? I've never had a sleepover before! I've always wanted one! I should reread my Slumber 101: All You've Ever Wanted to Know About Slumber Parties But Were Afraid to Ask."

Celestia let her little giddy student have a moment to prance and bounce in place around her friend before talking again. "Speaking of studies, I'm sure you have a friendship report ready to give us considering all that's happened."

Twilight stopped and gave a deep nod to her Princesses. "I certainly do your highnesses, perhaps one of the biggest ones I've learned yet.

Sometimes it's easy for a pony to lose confidence in who they are and what they do, especially when they take it to heart from somepony else who plays a big part in their lives. And when that happens, it can affect their friends too, making them sad and depressed as well. It can be hard getting back on your hooves and back in the proverbial saddle, even harder when other ponies around you don't approve of it."

Trixie stood right by Twilight, continuing where she left off.

"But that just means that pony needs a friend to stand by their side more than ever. A friend who knows them, is there to support them and won't give up, to show they're not alone in this struggle and that's there's something there worth the effort, win or lose. Sometimes, the only thing you really need to make a difference in life is to pass a good cheer on to somepony else, and no one spreads cheer better than a friend who genuinely cares about you. As long as you have that, you can weather any storm that comes your way."

"A very good lesson I think we could all commit to memory," Celestia approved. She draped a wing over her own sister's backside in a warm gesture. "One I expect many others to take examples from for years to come. Now, Luna and I do need to be returning to the castle very soon, so we won't be accompanying you to the station, I'm afraid. But I have made certain arrangements for a small royal escort to see that you won't miss your train."

With that said, Shining Armor and a pair of brown unicorn guards flanked at his sides marched in past the front gate. The captain gave his princess the customary salute before she nodded for him to be at ease.

"Hey Twily!" he said, dropping his serious facade. "Looks like I'm going to be able to wait for the train with you after all! I was hoping we'd get some time to talk before you left."

Twilight's smile instantly disappeared as she she slowly marched up to him, eyes narrowed and brow furrowed.

"Yes, you certainly do have much to discuss with me."

As her head leaned dangerously close into his, Shining suddenly got the feeling his sister wasn't all too pleased to see him. "Uh, Twily? Did I do something wrong?" He took a step back to regain some personal space.

"It's more like what you didn't do mister I'm letting everypony know I'm engaged except my sister!"
"Huh?"

Celestia could not hide the wry smirk at what she knew was going to unfold. Shining looked over to his father for guidance, but he just gave a shrug that said 'don't pull me into the fire too'.

Twilight poked a hoof smack dab into his chest. "This is a big, big deal! And I have to chance upon this information by coincidence from some random pony before I hear it from you? Am I not that important to you any more?"

"Hey. You're my little sister. Of course you're important to me-"
"Really? And just when were you planning on telling your so important sister you were getting married?"
"Well, uh..."
"And just who is this Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, anyway? When were you going to tell me about her?"
"Twily, Mi Amore Cadenza is-"
"How long have you been seeing this mare without me knowing?"
"Well, we've been dating for about five years now, but-"
"FIVE YEARS!?"

Shining took another instinctive step backwards as Twilight went from annoyed to outraged. "You've been dating some stranger I know nothing about for five years and never once said ANYTHING?!"

"But Twily, you DO know her!" Shining finally got a word in edgewise.

"That's impossible! I've never even heard the name of this Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, let alone know her!"

Shining took the moment to put on that winning an argument smile. "But you do know her as Cadance, your old foalsitter."

And the emotional roller coaster that was Twilight Sparkle did another loop-de-loop flip. "Cadance? As in the Cadance? As in the greatest foalsitter in all the history of foalsitters?!"

Shinning chuckled. "You tell me. She was your foalsitter."

"You had a foalsitter?" Blossomforth asked.

Celestia chuckled too. "Well, I needed someone to look after my faithful student while I was busy with my royal responsibilities, and my niece did love children even more so than I."

Honey nodded. "Yeah, makers forbid what kind of mischief a foal could get into inside a big busy castle, completely unsupervised..."

Everypony knowingly made a glance out of the corner of their eyes to four tiny angelic smiles looking outside their carriage window.


"You're marrying Cadance! You're marrying Cadance!"

Shining could not help but start to feel a little embarrassed. Twilight had been singsong bouncing around him when they left the house, she had been singsong bouncing around him when they arrived at the station, and now she was still singsong bouncing around him as they waited on the platform.

He had counted a total of 52 ponies that had passed them by during that time, and 52 strange looks given to him. It certainly didn't help him that his adorkable sister's endless giddiness had been contagious to the younger minds of the group.

"He's marrying Cadance! He's marrying Cadance!" The Manehattan CMC paraded behind Twilight.

Thankfully, salvation came in the form of two mothers and a baby dragon.

"Geez, Twilight, give it a rest already. She foalsat me too, you know. And you don't see me going all 'brain on vacation' here," Spike comically gestured.

Twilight Sparkle finally stopped bouncing to give Spike her usual annoyed at his snarky witticisms look, and Twilight Velvet patted her daughter's back reassuringly.

"What Spike means Twilight dear, is that there's no need to burn out all your excitement so soon when there's lots more to be done beforehoof. The wedding's still not going to be for another year at least."

"So let's not give Mr. Shining Armor here any more bother for the time being, shall we?" Sherbet told the rest of the foals. "Let's have him and his family see Twilight off properly, shall we?"

"Yes Auntie."
"Yes Mom."

As the rabble calmed down and the other soon to be passengers stopped staring, Octavia spied somepony over her shoulder that prompted her to give Trixie a bit of a nudge.

"It looks like the Twilights aren't the only ones who value a proper family send off."

Trixie looked over in the direction Octavia pointed. Cantering towards her was the entire Lulamoon household, butler included.

"Good to see we aren't too late," Starshine said as he approached first, a top hat and silver blue vest composing of his outdoor attire.

"What are you all doing here?" Trixie asked.

"Well, isn't it obvious?" Starshine patted his daughter's head before giving her a quick squeeze. "Our little trickster is about to go chasing her dreams in the big wide world. It's standard protocol for those who care to wish her luck at the departure." He then leaned in close and whispered into her ear. "You did your grandmother proud today, girl. You finally brought that elusive smile back."

Silver Platter approached next. He politely bowed to her and spoke. "If there is anything you need, do not hesitate to call. The doors of Lulamoon manor will always be open for you and your friends."

"Thank you, Silver."

"I should be thanking you. Servitude to a family that could beget a mare like you brings fulfillment to my choice of profession. You truly have a special gift worthy of the field of magic."

A black eyed Checker took the next spot in the queue. "So, Bea- er...Trixie...best of luck and no hard feelings?" She gave a wide toothy smile and outstretched her hoof.

"I hope that shiner I gave you scars," Trixie answered bluntly.

"Oh come on!" Checker stamped her hoof with a whine. "How many times do I have to say I'm sorry here?! Besides, you got the correspondence course! It's not like anything I did made you permanently lose out!"

"How do you know about my correspondence course?" Trixie eyed her little sister suspiciously.

"I...have my resources," Checker sheepishly admitted. She then quickly added, "Which I'm no longer going to use! Besides, I'm going to be a full time court representative under mother's guidance now. I won't even have time to scheme and manipulate ponies anymore."

Trixie just raised an eyebrow, which cued Checker to pull her hooves up to her chest in a repentant position. "Okay, okay! But seriously, I'm a changed mare now! No more dirty tricks, underhoofed methods, or personal agendas! I swear I'm no longer going to hurt ponies to get what I want, promise! Believe me, I've already gotten more than enough taste of that medicine thanks to your friends there..."

"But you're still going to try to get what you want regardless, am I right?"
"Well, that's a given! I'm in politics, of course."

Trixie just stared at her sister, then she relented a small smile. "Can't argue there." She took her hoof and gave it a shake. "We're always going to find some way to not get along, aren't we?"

"Again, you state the obvious. We're sisters." Another paused moment of just looking at each other passed before Checker gave her big sister a very rushed hug. "Take care, Trixie. I mean it."

"You too, Checker." The incoming train whistle sounded as Trixie turned to the last member of her family. "Well..." she said at last, "I'm not sure what else there is to say between us, given all that's happened."

"I suppose that is true," Moonlight agreed. "We have already communicated our issues quite thoroughly, come to an agreement on all matters related, and know each other's plans for the foreseeable future. There perhaps isn't anything further I can tell you that hasn't already been expressed at some point during your time here. Except this..."

That is when Moonlight Meridian Lulamoon leaned forward, and gave her daughter an uncharacteristically deep embrace.

"You've become such a strong, beautiful mare."

Trixie could only stand stiff at first, but her eyes soon watered as she found herself squeezing back. "M-mother..."

The train's whistle sounded again. "All aboard!" came the yell of the conductor.

No further words were said as they pulled apart. With the rest of the Manehattanettes already on board, Trixie was the last to set foot in the final car in the rear. And as she looked out her window seat to the family that had seemed no more like a group of forgotten memories just a week ago, again nothing was spoken. She just smiled and waved until the train pulled her out of the station and them out of sight.


"Ahhh, never thought I'd miss the sight of towering skyscrapers!" Blossomforth proclaimed as they stepped out into the Manehattan station. "Boy, could I ever use a little R&R after all this out-of-town adventure."

"Yes, hopefully we can all get a little peace and quiet to ourselves for a while," Twilight agreed. "I've got a lot of reading to catch up on."

"Peace and quiet in this city? Have you paid attention even once since we moved here?" Spike questioned rhetorically under the stack of baggage.

"Come on, Spike. It's not like there's a wild party at every other turn-"

"SURPRISE!!!"

Twilight had barely opened the station's doors when a flurry of confetti bombarded her and a brass band started to play. After loosening her grip on the top of the framework, Twilight joined the others in taking in the sight of what had to be at least a third of the entire city gathered around the station. A huge banner stretched across the street from one building to the next that read the words 'WELCOME BACK GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE!'.

"W-what's all this?" Trixie asked.

"Oh, just a little something Mayor Tux and I managed to whip up at the last minute." A pair of well dressed stallions stepped in from the side.

"Mosely!" Sherbet exclaimed. "Oh, you gallant steed, you! All this just to welcome her back?"

"Well, it didn't really take much actually," her husband admitted. "You see, he and I told a few of our friends, and then they told a few of their friends, and then they told a few of their friends, and before you know it we all came here to show how much we all missed Manehattan's favorite magician being here!"

"Oh boy! Another Trixie celebration! This is going to be so cool!" Babs jittered with the rest of the CMC before Mosely leaned down to address them.

"We also got together a few ponies to show how much we missed you..."

Each one of the foals smiles disappeared as they saw several adults they knew well step out from behind Mosely, every one of them either hysterically frantic, or deeply scowling.

"H-hey sis," Babs meekly smiled.
"Hi mom...hi dad..." Featherweight and Firecracker whimpered in chorus.

Mosely then looked to Sherbet, who then joined him at looking at Tangerine. "And we are going to have a talk later tonight, young lady." All the little filly could do was look down at her hooves abashed.

The others, meanwhile, continued down the steps where the crowd parted ways and continued to applaud from either side.

"Trixie!"
"Welcome back, Trixie!"
"We missed you, Trixie!"

"Talk about your turnouts," Honey said. "Really make you feel like you're a lasting part of the community. Bet you'll never find another welcome party like this in your name in any other town within a thousand lifetimes."

"Home is where they understand you," Octavia said.

Trixie looked out to the cheering crowds, all happy to see her back, and to the festive air all around her that screamed color and music. She gave a deep laugh to herself and reared up for audience to see.

"Yes! Rejoice citizens of Manehattan! The Great and Powerful Trixie is home!"


Silver Platter walked the dimly lit corridors of the Canterlot archives, making his way into a sealed off tower at the end of the east wing. Making his way to the lone unicorn statue in the only empty room, he pressed the parts in a certain sequence. The sealed wall behind the statue glowed in a golden aura, and he casually stepped through it into another room that held a stairway that led up the tower.

Climbing to the top, he reached a set of ornamental doors lined by ebony. Pushing through, he made his way to the center of a semicircle room, with an entrance at the straight wall and the large, colorful windows all around. A trio of unicorns sat in their chairs to greet him.

"Agent Silver, is your report ready?" the middle one asked.

"Yes, Councilor Stormcoat. Though I suspect news of this magnitude has already reached your ears. An entire courtroom of the most stubborn minds in our country successfully misdirected, along with a class gamma spellweaving technique, customized no less. I would say she's proven herself more than qualified."

"Well then, it would seem our efforts with Hoofdini were not wasted after all," the mare on the right said. "Shall we induct her then?"

"No Councilor Firehoof, I would like to request that an invitation be withheld in her case. She already belongs to another group. One that I believe she will function much better in than ours."

"Agent Silver, I do hope you're not letting your closeness to this candidate impair your judgement. We've already lost one potential by waiting too long, and considering the ursa minor incident in the last report-"

Silver chuckled to the mare on the left. "Lost? Councilor Icemane, you are mistaken. You haven't lost anyone yet."

"But Hoofdini-"

"Hoofdini will wake up. That much I can assure you. And when he does, you may extend your invitation to him at any time you see fit. But his prodigy is to be left alone. Perhaps another time, another place, I would have consented her admission. But here and now I cannot stress enough that she and her friends will be more useful protecting the magics of this world outside our organization than inside."

"And just what evidence supports your claim that withholding Beatrix Lulamoon's invitation will do her more good when it is that same notion that will deny her any support whatsoever from our network of knowledge, resources, and agents?"

"The same one that Princess Celestia gave you when she said you could not have Twilight Sparkle."

The room was silent for a good long time before the stallion in the center spoke up again. "Very well, Agent Silver. In your many years in our service as an observer of the magic aristocracy, you have never given us reason to doubt your judgement. So we will drop the matter at your request."

Silver nodded his thanks, and then turned to go, but not before his three superiors addressed him one last time.

"But make no mistake, the Conclave will be watching her. We'll see if your theory holds true soon enough."

Author's Note:

The very last part of this is a shout out inspired by the movie Now You See Me and Prane's Agent of the Conclave series.

Comments ( 17 )

Interesting although some of the family's heel face turns seemed a bit extreme, Check in particular she certainly deserved that hoof to the face.

And you do not abolish an outdated tyrannical system of law? Celestia, I am disappoint. Yes, TRIXIE is free-- but there are countless hundreds of others who share her fate who don't have the luck of royal friends and magical lucky breaks.


Moral of the story is you can be a horrible lying manipulator who would ruin the lives of anyone who stands in your way and you still can get what you want with no punishment. Think about it, Checkers would have committed blackmail, illegal surveillance, and ruined her stables name. Ponies know what Checkers did and won't trust her or her family who have no real power since Moonlight failed to show the power she or checkers has since checkers used all of her blackmail material.

Basically everything I was worried about going wrong did happen, the lulamoon stables name is ruined, checkers brook so many laws and got away with it, and Trixie is so spoiled complaining about her life even though she would of been rich and living in a mansion helping princess. This entire story could be summed up as white-people problems.

5276708 Pretty sure it's not that many, given that it's such an old and obscure law that Trixie's mom using it in such a way was the shocking exception, not the rule. Besides, while it would have been a satisfying narrative to have those laws abolished completely, it would also have been very unrealistic to have it wrapped up so quickly, given that it was an issue that Twilight had brought up out of the blue while they were in the middle of dealing with another issue entirely.

Now, it might not satisfy the desire for total closure, but the important thing on that front is that Twilight raised the issue. She started momentum moving in that direction. The gears of government may move slowly, but they do move, and if there are ponies who saw enough merit in her arguments to keep that momentum building, then it will work out eventually. Maybe Twilight's parents could work with Trixie's to hammer out the concerns that the "neigh-sayers" had and come to a beneficial resolution that they would be able to get a majority to sign on to, but that's not the sort of thing that happens overnight.

5276708
5277057

Have to side with Crow on this one. If anything, Celestia's attention being brought to a long forgotten law will likely mean she'll be going over the books in the near future for any other obscure laws that were ill thought out, outdated or plain abusive.

Gah this story needs vasty more upvotes.

I'm....disappointed.

This story really had me going right from the start, I thought it was going to be one of the best in the Manehattenverse, but the last two chapters just fell apart.

I maintain my complaint with the last chapter, that the whole climactic setup required every other character be suddenly rendered useless and incompetent so that Trixie can save them. Trixies triumph was cool but it undermined by the knowledge that the two princesses were carrying idiot balls and Twilight and friends the distress ball. I found the setup really hard to believe (is everyone really this incapable?), and even harder to stomach.

Now I have new complaints

I don't like how the councils crimes got aired, but nothing happened, and Celestia apparently doesn't care. There's some guy under house arrest for a crime he didn't commit, but he's not a named character so nobody cared about that, nor about any of the other illegal stuff.

And then the Matriachy laws are still around, and could be abused. Trixie may be free, but its only because her mother came around, the unjust law is still there, others could still suffer for it. But no, as long as Trixies safe, nobody even bothers to talk about it any more.

I guess you could argue its realistic, big problems (like systemic corruption and bad laws) don't get fixed easily, and I could live with that, but the characters (in particular the princesses) dont' seem to care, and that's the point where it just loses me.

The worst part is this could so easily be fixed. All it would take is a token mention from Celestia "I can't obviously prosecute them all for their crimes, but I will be taking steps to correct a few of the bigger injustices, and they know I'll be keeping an eye on them so they'll probably behave, at least for the next year or so" and "I can't change the law overnight, but now that you've brought it to my attention I'll see that it gets dealt with, it might take a few years but it will be fixed eventually" heck if we want to go optimistic we could throw in "I'm certain my friends in house Lulamoon will be happy to help" . Or failing that just mention that she'll try, no promises to succeed, just say she'll try to fix things. But no, there's no mention of it at all. (maybe we're supposed to assume its going to happen, but to me that's a cheat, especially when a few sentences is all it would take)

And the heel face turns of the family seem really abrupt and unbelievable. I guess you can argue its supposed to be idealistic (the show is idealistic and has easy redemptions), which might work except (again) the whole unjust laws left unchanged and corrupt council left unpunished aspect (and the whole Celestia somehow can't stop the council from blaming and censoring Twilight after their crimes are exposed, which I still say is tripe). What I'm saying is that it doesn't match the tone of the rest of the fic. If the rest of the ending had been idealistic, I'd have accepted it, but a story cannot start a chapter by telling me "It's like in real life, the rich lawmakers often are corrupt and aren't punished for their crimes" on one hand and then turn around and say "Look, its a happy idealistic universe, everyone who was being a jerk suddenly sees the error of their ways, admits they were wrong and we get a happy ending"

And I still say its a huge waste to have Luna do basically nothing outside of a few token lines. Yes, this is Trixie's story, but given the plot was set up by Luna's return and revolves around trying to win her favor having her contribute nothing to the resolution just seems like a missed opportunity.

My final verdict is good effort. The setup was excellent, and even the later chapters have allot of good moments and ideas, but ultimately the conclusion had to many problems for me to enjoy it.

Wow, okay. All your criticisms seem to keep hammering around a certain point, and I can see that to an extent. I suppose I should get a few things off my chest though to try and mitigate what you're disappointed in.

First off the whole thing with the court. I wanted to portray the image that their attitudes to their policies and decisions were largely influenced on their moods. You're more prone to making bad decisions and lashing out with blame when you're grumpy, ill-tempered and cynical, and what better way to build that kind of stress than the life of a politician? What Trixie's performance did was clean it all out. A good laugh, an uplifted mood, suddenly thinking with a more positive attitude. The nobles just needed a good laugh and stress reliever to feel better in order to start thinking about more than just themselves and start gearing their mindsets to start cleaning up their acts.

That brings up the Princesses, they know how much of an impact Trixie's act straightened out a lot of their clouded judgement and stressed views, know they're likely not going to repeat them again with a more positive mindset. SO WHY BRING BACK THE NEGATIVE ON PAST PETTY MISDEMEANORS THAT THE NOBLES HAVE ALREADY DECIDED TO FORGIVE AND FORGET WITH EACH OTHER? Many of the things that have already happened are going to be resolved simply because there's no more brutal animosity from the nobles to each other(ex: that house arrest thing? Guy who prosecuted is probably going to repeal the remaining charges. 'let him out, it was pretty much my fault too') They are basically all agreeing to wipe each of their slates clean and start over. True, the Princesses are going to working more on reforming the old laws, but I would like to believe that was implied how that they have a stabilized situation. Skyler and Crow pretty much have the right idea in what I wanted to portray. I made this scenario like so were all it took was to get the court in a better mood in order to correct themselves in order to ensure that this machinations of the court would be resolved COMPLETELY, that there would be no room for it to bleed out over the season. That's what everyone was originally worried about when I started this one, including me. Yes, it's too ideal and perhaps cliche to make a resolution like this, but that's the cleanest way to make it work. The big issue is resolved, the cleanup is handled off-screen, between episodes, and never touched again.

The heel turn. Yes, Checker was manipulative, tormenting, and deceitful. But in this case she is also a little sister who just took bratty selfishness to the max. Sisters fight, they steal from each other, they blame one another, and above all they get on each others nerves and have disputes that could last for years. But they can make up, I would like to think of it as an extreme analogy to the Rarity/Sweetie relationship. Their parting scene is supposed to drive the point home that Checker never hated the pony that was Trixie, but what it meant to her. And while they will always butt heads, they will try to do right by each other from now on. And if Checker's going to try and make amends with Trixie, she might as well do the same with everypony else.
Plus, I based a lot of the premise for this episode of the Manehattanverse on an episode of the 2001 Disney cartoon Lloyd in Space, the one where the mechanic Boomer is revealed to be royalty but doesn't want it. So of course I wanted to paint Checker in a better light at the end.

Finally, I will admit, it probably got a bit weaker towards the end because my train of thought got a bit weaker as I went along. I had the plot I wanted, I had the conflict and the resolution, I just hadn't managed to flesh out the means to it. I hit several blocks trying to think of ways to connect the dots I placed, and in the end I guess I whitewashed a bit because I couldn't think of a neater way to make it fit.

Rest assured, I'm not touching another story like this again, not for this AU. But let's just focus on the key positives I placed here. Trixie's going to have weekly magic study sessions with Twilight now, the events of this AU's Canterlot Wedding are set in a much smoother motion, and everything in Canterlot is a little less stuffy thanks to Trixie.

5278478 Ok, that could have worked, in fact it could have been brilliant

Seriously, the idea that everyone was bitter and angry, and that made them all act badly but once they all had a good laugh they were able to pull their heads out of their behinds? That's a neat idea, heck its in the MLP spirit.

But I think it needed more setup. To pick one example of many, Checker. Rereading the earlier chapters with her, she doesn't come across as a bratty sister acting out because of her frustration with an unfair situation, she comes across as a mean hateful jerk who is nasty to everyone on principle. If there'd been more to indicate that she was just lashing at her situation (say her acting pleasant to Twilight and clearly and directly helping Twilight try to get Trixie back, since Checker wants Trixie out of her house so they have a mutual interest and she gains nothing by being unpleasant to Twilight) then it might have worked. But there's not much setup for her, or any of the other ponies, being nice ponies who acted bad because of mood. They all (council and Trixie's mother and sister) act like jerks every second we see them on screen, and in the case of the nobles we don't even know why they're acting unreasonable (besides maybe 'politics') (and just to be clear they act unpleasant even before their crimes are revealed, its just the reveal puts them in nasty overdrive). In the case of the house of Lulamoon everyone has an established motive, but they needed some on screen moments of decency to remind us that they're still good people in there, as is it seems like they've become totally consumed by bitterness, so seeing them come back is harder to buy.

And I maintain this is a case where being explicit would improve the story. Just one throwaway line about how the nobles have agreed to wipe the slate clean with each other and clean up their messes from past, and how the laws can be dealt with later now that everyone is in a better mood, is all it would have taken. I think this is a case where you can't imply something will be dealt with, you need to flat out state it, because it seems unnatural for it to be omitted.

(and I very much disagree with classifying these crimes as "petty" the examples that you gave out loud in the story all sounded pretty significant to me, petty is littering or a traffic violation, so when you keep saying "petty" I keep scratching my head, maybe this is just a matter of perspective (I work in local government so I have a very strong sense of public ethics) but with the examples you gave, and with how everyone acted, the council (and house Lulamoon) came across as much more corrupt and nasty than I think you intended, which made forgiving/overlooking their misdeeds, as you ultimately want us to do, very hard for me)

And I maintain the setup in the previous chapter is still really hard to believe and makes the good guys look incompetent, I know I'm banging on about this, but it really got in the way of my enjoyment.

Like I said good effort. And I think the ideas you just talked about are pretty good, but here's the thing, if you hadn't explicitly told me about them, I would never have realized that those were the messages you wanted to convey. And I think that's a legit problem with this fic, I don't it conveys those ideas clearly. So I guess that's my somewhat revised verdict, it was a good message but it got lost somewhere along the way.

Happy to see another story finished. Good work on this.

5278670

Well, for the first part, I'd probably need to think of some filler that could flesh out Checker's character more. It's complicated since the reason she picks on the others besides Trixie is her way of venting her frustrations, add a little self-denial and you've got a complex set of layers around that core. Probably won't come back to that until I get an idea.

But as for the explicit one liner. I've already put it in the perfect place I feel comfortable with and will make everyone a bit happier. I really do say, I welcome and thank your through critique. Some of it I agree with, a little of it I don't. But it really does help me think about polishing it in ways I never thought about.

5279385 You're welcome then

Okay, I can only really echo the complaints here. Those weren't 'petty' crimes, and Checker and Moonlight got off way too easily for their actions. Checker wasn't a bratty sister as a manipulative asshole. Lethe... I don't know if she's from anything, but I hate her guts. I'm hoping Celestia and Luna do a thorough cleaning of those old laws, too.

But... I did like the rest of the story. I dunno, this ending though, just didn't fit right for me, sorry.

Another fun chapter. Thanks, it's been a good ride.

A very enjoyable story !!! if Trixie is an element bearer, wouldn't celestia intervene in this situation...if she knew the circumstances ? why are the element bearers so far away from canterlot ? the intrigue is quite...intriguing. house lulamoon is quite powerfull, but the situation seems obtuse. does luna have strong ties to house lulamoon ? do the rich, do nothing in their mansions, but plot and scheme ? celestia knows about the magical council, but does luna ? what are the circumstances around hoofini ? it is obvious that Trixie is pinkie pie. is the magic council looking for another starswirl ?

Sweet baby Celestia on high I love this fic. The characters, the comedy, and the ending all came together in one beautiful whole.

Everything I could say about this story is in the review of the latest live read, but here is the first chapter for your enjoyment

Coming back here after finishing the last of the Manehattanverse fics, I am so, so bummed out that this seems to be the end of the line because this world's stories, lore, and characters have caught my interest hook, line, and sinker ever since I stumbled upon it a few days ago. I am now left here longing for the day when the Manehattanverse is revived if it ever will be as I crave for more episodes about Auntie and her past as well as further exploration of Trixie and her family. Celestia's sun, I can just imagine Trixie and her mother attempting to have some mother-daughter bonding time in Manehattan with hilarious results which would then be paired with a cathartic reconciliation in the end.

Anyway, as for the fic itself, I have to say that Trixie is now officially one of my favourite characters at least in this AU. "Mother Shows Best" has at least tied with "Apples to Oranges" for best episode in my eyes while Beatrix Midsummer Lulamoon the Second has tied with Orange "Auntie" Sherbet for the title of best pony.

Now, I did notice some issues that others have already pointed out. One that stuck out to me was the rather abrupt turn to good that Trixie's family did in the end as well as a few issues the story had with its tone. Trixie's sister Checker and their mother Moonlight seemed to have been let off a bit too easily considering they both had a major hoof in practically forcing Trixie to go through hell for fifteen years of her life (and more in the case of Moonlight giving Trixie some very tough love for much of her childhood). One commenter also already pointed out that there seems to be a clash of tone in the story between the idealistic ending that emulates the show vs. the cynical politics of corrupt, scheming nobles (Seriously though. Do these snobs bitch about bloodlines and scheme and plot in their big, fancy mansions all day and night?)

Also, I'm gonna go on a bit of a tangent here and say screw Lethe lol. Hoplite making a fool out of himself is fine by me, but Lethe made his suffering unfunny multiple times. The batpony mare's antics would've been fine if she at least apologized to Hoplite in the end. Perhaps the scene could have hinted towards a budding friendship between the two instead of Lethe going too far and making Hoplite beg for a piece of pastry after everything that happened because for me, that was just kicking a dog that's already down. Hoplite could have been the well-meaning stickler for rules who sometimes takes things too seriously and suffers the consequences while Lethe could have been the laid-back jokester who nonetheless is well-meaning herself (and shows it), keeping Hoplite grounded while getting karma for her own antics as well. Missed opportunity there.

Nevertheless, the story has certainly earned a place in my Favorites for making the world of the Manehattanverse all the more richer as well as making me genuinely tear up in the end. While I believe Checker and especially Moonlight deserved to be served with a couple more slices of humble pie, I understand that the story needed to be wrapped up by that point. Besides, I'd rather see them get their just deserts and have some proper closure regarding their coldness with Trixie in a separate fic or two where it could be touched upon in much more detail. As for the whole corrupt nobles issue, there are other comments here that have already amended it long before me and much better than I could.

(P.S. I forgot to mention the whole Scooby Doo Doors chase sequence. While it was a bit hard to read, it was nonetheless a breath of fresh air from the heated political debate happening just a few corridors away in the palace. Also, the slapstick comedy with Checker was much needed and much appreciated.) (P.P.S. Scratch that. The whole chase sequence was great! Blossomforth acting like a statue and the image of Featherweight being a walking talking knight helm were a few of the highlights of that whole scene.)

So long then. I'll be hoping for a Manehattanverse revival however unlikely.

Login or register to comment