• Published 23rd Sep 2013
  • 3,184 Views, 56 Comments

30 Days of Temptation - LuminoZero



Rarity has agreed to take on a job in Canterlot for a month. Can she hold onto her true self while surrounded by all the lies of high society?

  • ...
1
 56
 3,184

Week in Review

"So, what happened to not being a stranger, hmm?" Twilight asked as she and Rarity walked down the streets of Canterlot. The sun would be setting soon, and a lovely orange hue adorned the horizon.

Rarity chuckled softly at her friend's question. "It has been a very busy week. You'll hear all about it tonight, but trust me when I say that." The pair of them continued along the well-maintained roads of the Noble's District of Canterlot. "So, rumor says that you made quite a stir at a royal party this week. Care to share the juicy details, darling?"

Twilight just shook her head with a smile. "If I tell you all the stories now, we'll have nothing to talk about over dinner! Also, are you sure it's okay for me to come along? I wouldn't want to impose..."

Rarity shook her head. "Nonsense, darling! I told them I would be bringing a friend, and they were more than delighted. Now I never told them which friend, but I am sure they will be fine with it."

Twilight looked over towards her friend, noting the bulge in her saddlebags. "Oh, you brought a gift. Should I have?" she asked.

Rarity shook her head again, giggling at how nervous Twilight was. "Oh no, not at all. There is a story behind this, too. Well, here we are," she finished, as Twilight turned to look at the massive building in front of them.

Twilight may have lived in the castle for much of her life, but she could still be shocked by the grandeur of places like this. "This is where Fancy Pants lives? Wow, it looks like it could rival the palace!" She'd been following Rarity on the way here, but now she stepped up to the door without needing any prompting. Before Rarity had a chance to stop her, Twilight lifted her hoof and rapped on the wooden door, totally ignoring the massive knocker. Rarity inwardly winced, but sighed with a small smile as Twilight sat there totally oblivious. Sometimes, the simplicity that Twilight operated under was enviable. She saw everything at face value, she wasn't good at looking through the hundreds of layers of deception like Rarity was.

The door opened after a few moments, a serving stallion looking out with a bored expression. Rarity was quick to note a few things. For one, he was a lower servant. The difference between the attire and posture from this one, and the one whom had answered the door the last time she was here, was subtle, but she could pick it out. For another, she noticed his eyes grow huge when he saw who had knocked on the door. The betrayal of his emotions showed him as less experienced, as he hadn't perfected his mask yet. He caught himself after a moment, recovering his mannerisms.

"Princess Twilight, this is unexpected." He seemed unsure of what to say as he opened the door fully. Rarity, however, jumped in to salvage the conversation.

"Oh, good evening. She is with me, I believe you were expecting us?" she spoke, a charming smile working its way across her features. The servant turned to her, and comprehension dawned on him.

"Ah, Miss Rarity. Of course, we have been expecting you and your guest. Please, come with me," he spoke, with all the emotion of a royal sentry. How boring, she thought that she would get a decent reaction out of this one. They had barely made it halfway across the main hall when a familiar voice greeted them.

"Punctual as always, Rarity. I am glad you agreed to co—my word!" the stallion spoke, lowering into a bow as he noticed Twilight. "I beg your pardon, Princess. I was not expecting that Rarity's friend would be somepony of such importance."

Twilight returned the bow herself, allowing the trim of her gown to grace the floor briefly. Rarity inwardly winced, but knew the chances of any dust getting on it were low. "Please, there is no need to bow. I am your guest, and I thank you for extending your hospitality to me."

Fancy Pants' lips curved up in an odd smile, as both of the ponies bowed to each other. When he went to rise, she did as well. He did not waste any more time as he gestured them onward. "Well then, if introductions are out of the way, shall we move to the lounge while dinner is prepared?" he suggested. "I am afraid I do not have much that would be appropriate for royalty, Your Highness. You caught me quite by surprise."

Twilight just waved her hoof dismissively, like she had seen Rarity do a number of times. "Please, just Twilight will be fine here. I do not much care for the pampering of royalty either, so there is no need to be concerned on my account. I believe the term they use for it here is 'charmingly rustic'?" Twilight had a bit of a twinkle in her eyes as she spoke the last line.

Fancy Pants chuckled at hearing himself quoted. "Hah, well I suppose that is an apt description. I am glad to see that the weight of a crown did not change the wild-dancing pony I remembered." They moved into the lounge, him offering seats for the two friends before finding one himself. "Fleur will be joining us in a little bit. It-"

"-takes a bit of time for her to get ready, considering her condition," Rarity interrupted. Fancy Pants and Twilight both looked at her. Twilight looked confused, but Fancy looked curious.

"Why, yes. How did you know that?" he asked, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

Rarity just smiled, recalling the tale. "Your nephew told me, quite by accident I would think."

"I still don't see what the problem is," the moody pegasus commented, looking over the mountain of 'failed' paintings. "They all look good to me, like really good."

Portrait just shook his head. "No, they are horrible: nothing original, just fakes. I've got to make something my own, something only I can make," he replied, looking over his stand. Rarity had taken to locking his paint cups into place, so he didn't wind up throwing them all over the place if he lost his focus again. Scarlet sighed, rolling her eyes.

"You know what I think? I think you and the rest of those nobles can't appreciate what you've got. Always gotta be more, bigger, and better. You get a gift most ponies would trade their rear legs for, and you just spend all day complaining about it."

"Hah, what would you even know about it? All you have to do is stand and look pretty, somepony else does all the creating that goes into your 'work'."

"Why you egotistical, spoiled, rich, little-"

"Scarlet!" came the sing-song voice from the next room. "I just finished a new dress, could you come here for a moment? I'm not sure if it would look right." Rarity had heard bits and pieces of their conversation. She liked to let them fight, but she always jumped in before it got out of hoof. As silly as it was to say, she had seen a change in Portrait since hiring Scarlet. His paintings seemed different, though she couldn't objectively say why. They just seemed to pop out more, as if the raging torrent of emotions around the room were somehow being pressed onto the canvas.

Scarlet grumbled as she left the main room, snatching up the new dress and moving to get changed. Rarity, however, took the moment of distraction to go look at Portrait's latest works. "You know, I do think they are improving. They don't look like dead landscapes anymore; there is some life in them. I think you are actually capturing the emotion of it." She wanted to encourage him, but the poor dear was still a long way from being satisfied with his own work.

"I'm still not able to add anything to the pictures that wasn't there to start with," he lamented.

Rarity had gotten used to his self-deprecation. "It is just a matter of time. What matters is that we make the best use of this month given to us."

Portrait was thinking about something, and whatever it was made him chuckle. "Heh, there are going to be a lot of endings and new beginnings in a month, that is for certain." Rarity was confused with his words, and her expression showed it. "Aunt Fleur has been saying that she really wants to get back into Canterlot life, but she hasn't been able to."

Rarity recalled the last thing she had heard about Fleur. "Oh yes, I heard she was sick. I hope it isn't too serious."

Portrait laughed at her remark, before responding to the confused mare. "Oh I am sure she will be just fine. Though maybe assuming she will have more free time after she gets better is a bit foolish."

Okay, this wasn't adding up. She was sick, this much she knew from Fancy Pants, but Portrait spoke as if he knew precisely when she would be better. Also, how would she have less free time after being sick? It was as if... wait a minute.

When Fancy Pants had come to Ponyville, what had he said? She'd been having weird cravings? Rarity's jaw fell open.

"She's pregnant?!" she blurted out without thinking. Portrait held his hoof up to his lips in response.

"Uncle has been trying to keep it quiet, at her request. I can count on you to not say anything, I hope?"

Rarity nodded, still rather stunned from the news. "Of course. Fleur pregnant, I never would have guessed. Fancy must be beside himself with pride, oh I must make a gift!" she decided, running back to her work station.

Portrait would have explained further, but it was at that moment that Scarlet returned in her new attire. Rarity dropped what she was doing, and began attacking the hem of the new design Scarlet was modeling. How Rarity could go from conversations, to creations, to alterations so quickly never ceased to amaze him.

Fancy Pants chuckled a bit at her story, shaking his head slightly. "I knew the secret wouldn't last forever. As it was, tonight would have broken it anyway."

Rarity leaned up in her seat, Twilight still seemed unsure of how she should react to this. "Your first foal is nothing to be embarrassed about, darling! I would imagine you would want to shout it to the entire city."

Fancy Pants' smile dimmed for a moment, but he caught himself quickly. "Oh I am happier then you can imagine, Rarity. To be a father, at my age? Hah, I had expected we would live out our days just the two of us. I suppose it will be getting a bit more lively around here."

His expression bothered Rarity. Something wasn't right here, did he suspect Fleur of infidelity? It was odd that a stallion of his age could still have children; but not unheard of. Before she could muse on this anymore, a gong rang from another room. The sound of it made Twilight jump in surprise. "Eh-heh," she laughed awkwardly as her cheeks turned an adorable shade of pink.

"That would be dinner. Shall we, then?" he said as he stood up. The mares followed behind him as he led the way through the elaborately designed house. They came upon a long table, easily able to seat two dozen ponies. However, only four places were set. The head seat was for their host, with a seat to his right that was much larger in size, obviously for the mother-to-be. On the other side of the table there were two settings side by side, clearly for Rarity and her 'guest'. Rarity held back, and allowed Twilight to sit first. The younger princess decided to take the place farther from the head of the table, leaving Rarity to sit on Fancy's immediate left.

As Rarity lay down, pulling her legs up onto the cushion, she noticed the empty chair still. She looked to Fancy Pants for a moment, working the question in her mind.

"Fleur will be joining us, correct?"

"But of course I will. It was my idea to invite you," came the refined voice from the entrance to the room. Fleur's entrance into the room was slow, not surprising given her size. Sweet Celestia, Rarity had known that Fleur was eight months in, but this was still surprising. To see the kind of havoc something so natural could wreck on her once pristine and well controlled frame was shocking. Fleur looked about the table, and took notice of Twilight sitting there; her posture changed slightly, as if she were preparing to move in a different fashion then she had been.

A slam on the table served the dual purpose of stopping her motion, and drawing all eyes in the room to her. "Absolutely not!" Twilight spoke up, much louder then she had intended. "I mean... um. Please, there is no need to bow to me. Let me help you," she offered, rising from her seat and moving around to help Fleur into her own. Twilight's magic grabbed onto the chair, helping Fleur into it. The noble lady looked quite surprised by Twilight's actions, but did not reject them.

"You flatter me, Princess Twilight. You are supposed to be our guest." Twilight just shook her head as she sat back down.

"Princess Celestia says that a true royal should always act in service to her subjects. I would not want you to stress yourself just to show respect to me." Twilight smiled as she looked around at those gathered. "You have already done a great honor by inviting us into your home. Please do not feel the need to go so out of the way on my account. Oh, and you can just call me Twilight in here. No need to be so formal."

Rarity smiled a bit. She'd spent some time teaching Twilight the proper way to act in these circles, and then in a minute she'd tossed all the rules on their head and done it her own way. Well, that was just the way she was going to be. That was just how Twilight was, and Rarity wouldn't want her any other way.

Fleur smiled, starting a dialogue with Twilight. "It may be bold of me to say so, but I believe you will make a wonderful Princess. Many ponies forget that the most important thing about having power is knowing when to not use it. Speaking of which, darling?" she turned her eyes towards Fancy Pants, who nodded as the servants entered with four bowls of steaming soup. Each bowl was placed before its owner, and they all grabbed their proper spoon in unison. Rarity noticed, as she looked up for a moment, that Fancy Pants had not grabbed his spoon. His horn was glowing, but it was Fleur's spoon which he held aloft. Rarity watched for a moment as he brought the soup to her lips, setting the spoon down and then taking a sip of his own soup.

Twilight noticed Rarity's confused gaze before the hosts did, and giggled slightly. "You look confused, Rarity. I thought you would know about this," she remarked.

Rarity turned to look at Twilight, still confused. "Whatever do you mean, darling? This is the first time I've been to dinner here."

"No, I meant about the eating. When a unicorn is pregnant, the changes to the body make magic very difficult to control. In the first and second trimester they are recommended to use it sparingly, but in the third it is usually impossible. Didn't you see this with Sweetie Belle?"

Rarity paused, thinking back. That was a long time ago, but she did remember her father feeding mother very often in the later days. Either that, or she would eat like an earth pony, which her parents didn't seem to mind. "I did, but I thought my mother was just trying to get father to dote on her. I had no idea it was actually legitimate."

The four shared a quick laugh at that, as Fleur further explained. "Twilight is correct. This is actually why I did not wish to go out in public like this. It would be disastrous to my public image to be seen eating like a foal."

Rarity waved a hoof. "Pah, are you joking? Any pony in your circles would have to know that it is normal. After all, there are so many unicorns here I doubt it is any secret. This is nothing to be ashamed of, they should be envious of you! The most famous stallion in all of Canterlot waiting on your every whim, most mares would kill for that."

Now the laughter only came from three voices, with Fancy Pants allowing himself a somewhat nervous chuckle. "Well, there is a silver lining there, I suppose," he said. Small banter passed around the table as the four friends enjoyed their soup. Soon enough, the bowls were empty, and the next course was on its way.

Fancy Pants chose this moment to change the topic. "So, Rarity, how has your gamble been progressing? Last I saw Portrait he looked even more frustrated than before, so I assume it is going well?" he asked with a cunning smile and an arched eyebrow. Twilight passed Rarity a confused glance, since she was not aware of Rarity's little experiment.

Rarity sat up a bit as the main course was placed down. "Quite well, in fact. Why just earlier today..."

The session progressed in silence, mostly. Portrait had learned to hold his tongue when Scarlet was his model, as everything either of them said seemed to set the other off. More than once, Rarity had come in to push them apart as if they were two foals on the playground. Every time he failed at a task, Rarity simplified it again. They'd gotten so far down that now he was trying to replace one of the people in his portraits with Scarlet. This was humiliating, watching himself fail at such simple tasks.

"This is pointless," he grumbled, looking over his current picture of a Fillydelphian concert hall. He was trying to imagine Scarlet on the center stage, and replace the midnight blue unicorn that he knew should actually be there with the grey pegasus before him.

"Well it will be if you spend all your time complaining! If it was easy the city wouldn't be filled with artists waiting tables and watching shops." Scarlet puffed herself up indignantly, glancing down at him from the slight stage she was standing on.

She'd pushed the wrong button this time, however. Portrait's response came swift and hard. "You'd be lucky if you could get a job that didn't meet on street corners in the dark!"

Rarity had been working on her own design, expertly tuning the two of them out, when she heard that. Her eyes bulged and she gasped audibly. "Portrait!", she shouted out in shock. How could he have said something so vile?

Scarlet's face went the same color as her mane, but not in embarrassment. Rarity could tell easily that she'd just lost all sense in a rage at that remark. The pegasus grabbed the leg of one of the easels in her teeth, slamming her hoof down and snapping the wood off. She rounded on the artist quickly, and he didn't move an inch. His eyes were wide and his body locked up totally.

"Stop!", came the shout, accompanied by the field of magic surrounding the splintered wood. It was Rarity's magic, but it was Portrait's voice. "Don't move!", he commanded.

Both mares stared in awe as he turned back to the canvas and paid both of them no mind. Scarlet couldn't have moved as long as she held onto the improvised club, since Rarity's magic still held strong. Still, Portrait gave no thought to the assault she had been about to commit. Rarity eyed Scarlet oddly, who returned the confused expression, as the white mare moved over to examine what he was drawing. She arrived just in time to see it finished; his speed was still the stuff of legends.

It was still a painting of the Fillydelphia Concert Hall. Still the same ponies in the audience, still the same lighting, but one thing was different, vastly different. The mare in the center stage was not a midnight blue unicorn singing. Now she was a grey and crimson pegasus, holding a sword high, as if about to bring it down upon some foe. Extraordinarily out of place in the setting, but nopony could question its originality.

Rarity was actually a little scared of the drawing. Scarlet, of whom there could be no mistake the pegasus was, seemed to be like a demon. Her figure and anatomy were right, but there was a mountain of subtle hints in it. Her hair flowed like serpents, the shadows bouncing off of it at just the right angles. Her eyes burned like flaming pits, seeming to jump out of the painting at her.

Rarity could sense the tension was still high after the outburst, and as Scarlet came over to see what had just happened on the canvas, Rarity sprang into action.

"Oh my," she exclaimed breathlessly, taking two steps back and falling over with a swoon. She landed right onto her fainting sofa, a perfect shot. She lay along the smooth fabric, her hoof raised to cover her eyes in a dramatic fashion. She heard a whistle first, and her ears perked slightly.

"Huh, not bad kid. I look like some hell-born nightmare. Kind of like it, it's definitely got style. Oh yeah, and you owe me twenty bits for the drama queen's performance."

Rarity felt the need to speak up at that. "I'll have you know I am overcome by emotion, not deaf. Now what are you talking about?" She stood up again, joining the two back at the painting. The splintered club lay on the ground, forgotten.

Portrait was the one to answer, his eyes never leaving the painting. "We made a bet on the second day. It was on if you would faint more than seven times before the week was up. Seven in only two days, that was a bad bet," he answered, levitating a small pile of bits to Scarlet without even looking at her.

Rarity rolled her eyes. "Children," she mumbled, still looking upon the creation Portrait had just made. "Well then, that is quite the achievement! I think this calls for a celebration. Would you two like to join me for a small glass of wine? If you can clean up your mess and avoid strangling each other, I might even be so kind as to prepare a nice meal for the three of us. To celebrate this accomplishment."

Portrait looked odd, almost as if he were saddened by what he'd created. "There is still so much work to do. It was a spark of creativity in a void."

"Foal steps, darling. Foal steps."

"Besides, doesn't the saying go that one light shines bright in total darkness? Or something like that," Scarlet continued.

Rarity nodded, looking again at the fearsome beauty on the canvas. She had been right, art was emotion. All he needed was to be exposed to it, to stop thinking and just to feel.

Rarity was aware, as she told the story, of the looks of concern and doubt from both Fleur and Fancy Pants. It made sense, their nephew had almost been assaulted. "That was just today, actually. He was smiling more then I'd ever seen when he left the studio today. I think he found his spark, or at the very least he has seen it." The story had carried on for quite a while, and they were nearly finished with the main course when she finished.

Fancy Pants spoke first, likely saving the fashionista from some very awkward questions from his wife. "That was quite a risk you took, it could have easily gone the other way."

Rarity sighed a bit. "I will admit, things did get a bit out of hoof. I honestly wasn't expecting Portrait to say something so... vulgar. In some ways, I think what happened was exactly what needed to happen. He's always been safe, been protected. I think putting the fear of Tartarus into him, as brief a moment as it was, stirred something inside."

Fleur spoke next. "So, it was a happy accident? What if it hadn't turned out as well as it did?"

Rarity chose her words carefully. "Fleur, art comes from emotion. Portrait has never been put in a position where he had to succeed. If he went to an art show and his work was not well received, it would have no major effect on where he would live or what he would eat the next day. The only thing that pushes him is his own drive. What he did, personifying his feelings, is very common in all forms of creation. I do the same whenever I design for my friends. These are things you can't teach, you can only learn them."

Rarity paused for a moment, thinking on if she wanted to say these next words. They could make or break everything. "You say he was in danger, and you are not wrong. I knew there was a possibility that they might come to blows at one point or another. I needed him to know it too. I needed him to feel, not think. It is hard to explain, but rest assured I will not let any harm come to him while I am here. I suppose I am the mother bird tossing out the chick. I have taught him what I can, and he managed to beat his wings enough to avoid crashing. He isn't flying yet, but he is on his way."

Twilight spoke up, jumping to her friend's aid. "That is exactly what Princess Celestia did to me. She sent me and my friends to the Crystal Empire when it reappeared. She could have gone herself, or sent Luna to resolve the problem. She sent us, however, because she wanted to make sure I was ready. Ready for this new challenge before me," Twilight gestured to her wings. "I can understand what Rarity is saying. We don't grow if we are always safe."

Fleur's critical gaze took on a half-smile. "Well, if a national hero and a princess say that this is best, I suppose I shall have to put my faith in them. That does remind me, however, there is still the matter of your payment."

Rarity waved her hoof with a shy smile. "Oh, there is no need for that. I am delighted to help."

Fancy Pants leaned over to her, however. "Trust me Rarity, it is just easier to agree. This is a battle even you and your friends would not win."

Rarity laughed, noticing that Fancy Pants had pulled a small box onto the table. It was a plain white box, with a simple red bow across it. Simple in design, but still elegant. As he placed it on the table, Rarity noticed that he shared an odd smile with Twilight. It was brief, barely a second, but Rarity was good with noticing details.

She said nothing, however, and slowly pulled the ribbon off. Practiced and controlled, ever the image of poise and grace.

When she pulled the top of the box off, she really did faint.

Rarity's mind came back to her soon enough. She found herself laying down on something soft. Smooth fabric, but it had some structure to it. Not a bed, that much was certain. She opened her eyes with a groan, looking around. The first thing she saw was the familiar setup of Fancy Pants' den, the next thing she saw was Twilight right in front of her.

"Oh I am so sorry, Rarity! I should have known that would have been too much of a shock. Are you all right? You didn't hurt yourself did you? I mean I-"

Rarity pressed her hoof against the sputtering mare's mouth. "Twilight, please. Slower and quieter please." In that moment, she recalled what she had seen in the box, and her body jerked on the couch she was laying on. She had no idea when they'd moved her here, but she needed to make sure. The box was on the table before her, and its contents were plainly visible.

She reached out with a hoof, pressing against the familiar red stone. She opened her mouth and only a squeak came out at first. "H...How?"

Twilight smiled, but the words were not hers. "It sounds so cruel to say this, but I was actually relieved by your reaction." Fancy Pants had just returned to the room. "I'd suspected that the necklace left your person against your will, your reaction suggests that was the case."

"I... it was... what?" All her refined speech and perfect class had melted away, as she ran her hoof over the crimson surface. It was like a dream, just so unreal.

Twilight smiled happily for her friend. She'd known, as soon as she saw the necklace, that Rarity had not parted with it knowingly. She trusted her totally, and she would never do something like that. "Earlier this week, there was a small party in the castle..."

"How nice to see you, Princess Twilight," said yet another high society pony. Twilight had lost count long ago, and nodded with a smile, returning the greetings. She'd spent hours studying the faces of the ponies who would be attending the event, but she had hoped she wouldn't need to speak with them all.

That was a foolish hope. "I am glad you could make it," she started, as her eyes focused on the newest pony to speak to her. "Glitz Glamour, I've heard many interesting things about your new lines. I cannot wait to see what more you can produce for the spring lineup," she said politely.

Glitz seemed beside herself to be recognized by the newest princess, but Twilight had to move on before much conversation could be started. It was for the best, many of these high society ponies got on her nerves. She'd lived here most of her life, but she made it her job to stay away from other ponies in those days.

She nodded and smiled as she weaved through the crowds, willing to give anything to just curl up on her bed with one of the research journals she'd been looking through. The general chatter of the ponies was of no consequence to her, until something poked at her mind. It was funny, it was as if two words were spoken straight into her ear, drowning out everything around her.

"...Fire Ruby..."

Twilight's ears perked up as she turned her head. She didn't think Rarity would come. She was here on business, not for parties. Twilight looked around the room before a familiar red glint caught her eye.

The problem was that it was not Rarity's neck the stone adorned. She was a unicorn with a golden coat, talking to a familiar stallion of impeccable taste. Fancy Pants wore a practiced expression of professional politeness as he eyed the necklace.

"My," he spoke, "they seem to be 'in' this season. It reminds me of a similar design one of my friends has." He wasn't outright saying it was the same one, but Twilight caught the implication.

Twilight also noticed that she had no idea who this unicorn was. She was not on the list of approved guests that Twilight had studied, and Twilight had been quite thorough with her list. She walked up to the two of them, her confusion betrayed by her eyes.

Fancy Pants saw her first, turning to face her. "Hello, Princess Twilight, a wonderful party, is it not?" he asked of her, continuing before he received an answer. "I was just admiring this lovely piece of jewelry and the stunning pony whom it adorns," he said, a playful smile on his lips.

The unicorn turned to Twilight, giving a small curtsy. "An honor to meet you, Princess Twilight," she said.

Twilight nodded to her. "Of course, may I have your name?" she asked. She didn't have the tact of Princess Celestia when she was caught off guard like this.

"Oh! Forgive me, princess. I am Golden Truth, and may I say it is an honor to be invited to such an auspicious event." She seemed quite happy to be here, but Twilight was certain she'd read no such name on her list.

Twilight let her eyes drift down to the necklace, and the heart shaped gem in the center of it. "That is a lovely necklace, may I ask where you acquired it? Such gems are very rare."

Golden Truth seemed to puff up with pride. "It was a gift from a suitor of mine, Silver Finish. A charming stallion, and certainly one with an eye for beauty."

Twilight resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "Well, I think that he may... " she began. Fancy Pants cut across her before she could finish, however.

"It is quite loud in here, perhaps we should adjourn to someplace a bit quieter?" he suggested.

Golden Truth hadn't sensed anything wrong yet, but Twilight understood. Fancy Pants didn't wish to cause a scene in the middle of the party. Twilight nodded in agreement, and the three moved out to one of the castle's many balconies.

Now that they were alone, Twilight moved on to the next step in her analysis. "Golden Truth, would you mind terribly if I took a look at your necklace?"

Golden Truth looked quite shocked. Pleasantly shocked, but shocked nonetheless. "Of course, princess! It really is a one of a kind prize, isn't it?" she asked, as she opened the clasp and levitated the necklace over to Twilight with her magic.

Twilight took the necklace in her own magic. "I really hope it isn't," she muttered softly, as she turned it around to look at the back of it. Sure enough, the back of the gem mount had a diamond carved into it. Light, but it was clearly visible. There was no mistake. Twilight looked up at Golden Truth with a curious expression, and now the unicorn's expression changed to worry

"Is there something wrong, princess?" Golden Truth asked.

Fancy Pants spoke first, having made the same conclusion. "Truth, my dear, Princess Twilight and I both know the pony who made this," he explained.

Golden Truth gave a nervous laugh, trying to push away what she thought they were saying. "A jeweler friend? My, you certainly do know everypony worth knowing."

"No," Twilight said. "The pony who owned this would never have parted with it willingly. I think the pony who gifted it to you may have... "

Twilight was interrupted by Fancy Pants again. "Silver Finish is pragmatic, but he is not a thief. However he does not have the resources to purchase something this incredible, unless he were procuring it from someplace where they ask little questions on the background of such items."

Golden Truth gasped. "Y-You mean he purchased it from some thief supporter?"

"I believe the common term for them would be a 'fence', but that would seem to be the case."

Truth practically threw herself at Twilight's hooves. "Your majesty, I am so sorry! I had no idea, you must believe me! I just-"

Twilight held her hoof up to the panicking mares lips. "You are innocent in this, Golden Truth. I am sorry that you had to be involved at all. You don't mind if I..." she began, gesturing to the necklace.

"No! Not at all, please take it. I never want to touch it again. Somepony must have treasured such a jewel, it should be returned."

Twilight nodded with a smile. "You have my thanks, and I am sure my friend will be very thankful as well. I'll go return it to her after the party."

"Actually, Princess Twilight," Fancy Pants spoke, "if you don't mind, I might have a different plan for returning Miss Rarity's necklace." His eyes shone with a cunning Twilight didn't often see from high-class ponies. It made him look like a trickster.

Still, he had proven himself as a pony to be trusted.

Thankfully, the night had been calm after that little episode. They'd returned to the table, dinner had been served, and they'd all had a delightful evening. Now Twilight and Rarity stood poised to leave, with Fancy Pants seeing them out.

"Are you sure it's ok?" Twilight asked. "It's not that important."

Rarity shook her head. "Absolutely, darling! You have your royal obligations, and Fancy Pants has offered to walk me home. You be careful on your flight, dear."

Rarity gave Twilight a hug, whispering her thanks. She could thank her until next winter, and it still wouldn't be enough. With a quick farewell, Twilight took off into the night sky.

"Well then," Fancy Pants began, "shall we get going?" It was a rhetorical question, as he'd already begun walking down the stone roads.

Rarity followed at his side, looking up at the glorious night sky. "I never really stopped to appreciate the night sky before, but it really is lovely. The small lights amidst a curtain of darkness just makes them that much more special, wouldn't you agree?"

Fancy Pants looked up, sighing wistfully. "Princess Luna would be happy to hear that. I remember looking out my window as a colt, and seeing the night sky as one brilliant tapestry. With no lights on the ground, the sky would glow brilliantly. Sometimes I feel a little sad that my child will never be able to see that the way I did."

Rarity caught on to the tells of his voice. "This isn't just about the sky, is it?"

Fancy Pants allowed himself a half smile, nodding. "Would you say that Portrait is spoiled, Rarity?"

Rarity would normally deny this, but since she'd gotten to know more about Fancy Pants she doubted he would hold honesty against her. "A bit, certainly. He's better than most nobles I have met here. Still, he does have a sense of entitlement."

"And that is what I worry about. At best, any child raised here is only slightly entitled. Could I really raise a foal that understands the value of a hard day's work? Could I raise one that wouldn't look down his nose at the less fortunate?"

Rarity shook her head, as her penthouse came into view. "It's pointless to ask if you can, simply know that you must. With you as a father, I know any filly or colt will learn the importance of treating everypony with respect. It's very inspiring that you didn't let this city change who you were."

They paused outside of the penthouse for a moment, neither one of them speaking. After a minute or so, Fancy Pants broke the silence. "It's late, I suppose I should head home."

Rarity nodded. "Thank you for walking me home, and don't worry too much. I'm sure everything will be fine."

Rarity should have learned from Twilight about the dangers of tempting fate.

For the second time, Rarity found herself in an unfamiliar castle. It took a moment for her to recognize it as the Everfree castle, or at least how it used to be long ago. That would mean...

"Good evening, Rarity,"

Rarity jumped in surprise as the elegant voice surrounded her. She turned towards Princess Luna, bowing out of reflex.

"Now, now. I thought we agreed there would be none of that when we met like this? It makes everything feel so stuffy," Luna chastised her playfully. "I see that you have recovered what you have lost."

Rarity smiled brightly. "Yes. It all worked out in the end, thanks to my friends. I'm sorry that your search didn't bear fruit," she said. She didn't hold it against Luna. She was a princess, she had much more to worry about than a stolen bauble or two.

To her surprise, Luna's smile only widened. "Didn't it? It was certainly fortunate that Golden Truth was in attendance, she's never been personally invited to such gatherings before. Very fortunate that Silver Finish would gift the necklace to her, almost as if he were scared by a few well placed guards and did not wish to be holding it. How lucky that Twilight Sparkle and Fancy Pants noticed that one piece of jewelry in a sea of gaudy metals and gems."

Rarity paused, watching as a clever grin crept onto Luna's face. What she was suggesting wasn't possible, there was no way any pony could guess that all that was connected. "How...?"

Luna's horn shimmered, and an odd sort of spider web came into form before Rarity. There was a single strand at the top that broke and fractured into other strands as it moved down. By the bottom, there were hundreds and hundreds of different paths. "There are some beliefs that move beyond countries. Beliefs that all the world shares, even if they cannot explain them. One such belief links the moon and stars with prophecy. But at the core of every belief, there is a shard of truth."

"You can... see the future?"

Luna shook her head. "No. Nopony knows for certain what will happen. There are too many variables, too many independent choices that cannot be controlled. My sister and I have the gift of sight. She can see what has been, what her sun has seen..."

"Celestia sees everything?"

Luna laughed softly. "Not as you are thinking. It takes you all day to see everything you do in a day. She could not possibly see all things at all times; it merely allows her to search for things of importance under her sun's light. My sight, however, is different. I cannot see the future, but I can see possibilities," she pointed to the strands to illustrate her point. Each node of the web seemed to have a picture in it, a scene.

In one scene the necklace was sold to a griffon, and left the country as that line moved to its end. In another, it remained in the possession of Silver Finish for some time, eventually winding up in a Manehattenite's private art gallery. In yet another, it was lost in a fire at the store and not seen for dozens of years. Countless potentials interwoven here, separated by the choices each pony made every day. Of the hundreds and hundreds of outcomes, Rarity could only spot a hoof full that resulted in the necklace returning to her.

"This... is how you see things?" Rarity asked in disbelief.

Luna shook her head. "Like Celestia, I do not use this power often. It is far too powerful and dangerous to let it be wasted. If Celestia found out I was using my Lunar Divination for such a simple end, she would be quite cross."

Rarity was confused now. This was not some simple favor Luna had done for her, this was a big deal. "But why? Why put so much at risk just for me?"

Luna's answer was not what Rarity was expecting. "An apology."

"For what?"

Before the final answer could be given, a pounding assailed Rarity's skull as the world vibrated around them. Luna looked up, but then started to fly away as the castle bricks broke apart around her. "Rarity! Remember, you sleep in Canterlot, but Ponyville is your home!" Luna shouted to her.

Rarity sat bolt upright with a shout. "Luna, wait what do you..." She quickly realized that she was in her bed back at the penthouse. In another moment, the pounding continued. Somepony was at her door.

A quick glance out the window told her it was several hours since she'd gone to sleep. It was well past midnight, who could be here this late? She got up and made her way down to the door, where somepony was pounding on the wood as if their life depended on it.

She pushed the door open an inch, and then threw it open fully in surprise. "Fleur! What are you doing here so late, and in your condition?!" The trip could not have been easy for her, and she looked frazzled beyond belief. Her eyes were puffy and red, signs that she'd been crying.

"Rarity!" she cried out in despair. "I don't know what to do. I don't know what happened I just..." she managed out through her rapid breathing. Rarity was pretty sure that Fleur was seconds away from a panic attack, and she knew enough to know that was not healthy when you were as far along as she was.

"Fleur, please. Tell me what happened. Take a deep breath, let me help you."

"Fancy Pants never came home and I can't find Portrait!"