• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 520 Views, 1 Comments

Plebeian - Sleep Sonata



I wasn't entirely sure of myself going in, and I'm still not sure if I am. But I know now that I can do more than most ponies, though that may not be a good thing.

  • ...
 1
 520

A Special Case

I couldn’t believe it. I hadn’t been here a day and I was going to meet the dean! If only my parents knew about this right now. I’d have to tell them as soon as possible. “Hey, Stardust. This is the dean’s office.”

I’d have to stop getting lost in my thoughts. One of these days, I’m going to make a real fool of myself. For now though, I just look I’m just lost. I felt a moment of hesitation before entering the dean’s office, even though I was supposed to go in. Everything was moving so fast for, even if my head was spinning, it wouldn’t be able to keep up.

I finally worked up the courage to push the door open, but not walk in. Sol must’ve noticed. “Don’t worry, kid. He doesn’t bite.” Now i’ll never the image out of my head. Thanks Sol Ray.

I did manage to push myself into his office, and it made me feel less anxious once I was inside. I took one look around, and from what I saw, you I never would’ve guessed this was the office of the dean. The floor was so cluttered with stacks of folders and paper, I almost needed a map to navigate to his desk.

I made my way up to the massive wooden table, trying desperately not to disturb any of his piles. They could’ve been organized for all I know, utilizing some system not yet known to ponykind. Once I finally reached the desk, I noticed the chair was empty. For a pony who was supposed to run the most prestigious magic school in Equestria, it didn’t seem like he could run one room.

“Oh, hello. You must be that crazy levitation girl.” I whipped around, expecting to see a wise old pony, but instead, it appeared to be a stack of papers with legs.

“Sorry about my office. I’ve been trying to organize more, but the papers just keep coming in. It’s criminal!” He didn’t sound that old. Was this a TA?

Once he put the stack down, I was actually more confused. He was, in fact, quite young, like he just graduated from the academy. He must’ve been a TA. “I’m Doctor Chi Chi, Dean of the Canterlot Magic Academy.” He wasn’t a TA.

I couldn’t believe it. This was the dean of the academy? He couldn’t have been 5 years my senior, and he was already the most prominent unicorn in Equestria! “You’re the dean? But you’re...You’re only...I’m sorry.”

He seemed to take my stuttering rather well. The entire time, he never lost a smile. “Don’t be. I get that a lot. Though I have to say, we don’t get unicorns like you very often. A plebe levitating three ponies in addition to herself? That was some quick thinking. I’m not sure I could do that.”

I think I began to blush. It was beyond flattering to be complimented by a pony I had never even dreamed of meeting. I couldn’t think of what to follow up with. “Thank you, Doctor Chi Chi.”

“You can loosen up. We’re going to be around each other a lot. You can just Call me Chi Chi.” It took a few runs through my brain, but I eventually understood what he said. I still couldn’t believe he said it, though.

“Wait, what do you mean?”

“Oh wow. I got way ahead of myself. Sorry to confuse you. I’d like to test you, just real quick.”

He pulled me out of a class to take a test? I could only imagine what kind of test.

Before I could even ask, though, I felt as if I was hit by lightning, but it was painless. The dean’s office had turned into a dark room; no windows, no doors. I couldn’t even see my hoof in front of my face. I vain, I tried to look around, but then I realized, “I’ve been teleported?”

I heard Doctor Chi Chi’s voice, but not with my ears. It was if he was in my mind. “Just find your way out. I’ll be waiting.”

So this was his test. At first, I was quite scared. I couldn’t see, I couldn’t hear anything, save for my own breathing, and I couldn’t move in case anything else was in the room.

I had to collect myself. I needed to think through this. It was just a test, and every problem has an answer. I just needed to analyze what I know and work with it.

I had to find out where I was and how to leave. That was obvious. The how was easy. I knew how to teleport, so I’d just do that.

The where was going to be harder. Since Teleporting involves knowing exactly where you’re going, and I didn’t have any reference points, I might as well have been in a maze.

Then I remembered my ambiance spell. When I played hide and seek as a filly, I found that if I closed my eyes and felt with my mind, I could get a sense of where everything was, even through walls. Since I didn’t know how thick these walls were, I’d have to push out harder than usual.

I closed my eyes, and focused magic in my horn. I could feel a pulse go out, and I began to understand where I was. The first thing I noticed was the room. It was small, around the size of my dorm. That was good to know.

What startled me was how soon I sensed other objects. As soon as my pulse left the room, I began to sense other rooms. But these were normal, with ponies busily working inside. It seemed familiar, and I began to suspect I wasn’t teleported very far.

I sensed more rooms, which were roughly the same as before. Not long after, I was approaching the limit of my range, but just before I did, I found Doctor Chi Chi, in his Office! He hadn’t sent me far at all!

I got a fix on the office, and let loose a teleportation. Quick as a flash, I placed myself back in his office, much to his surprise. I began to sway a little. Those two spells together were quite taxing.

“You’re back!?” He was, in fact, quite shocked. “How did you get back here so quickly?”

I panted for a few moments before answering. “I used an ambiance spell to find somewhere to teleport to, then I did it. Piece of cake.”

“Ambiance spell? What is that?”

I almost couldn’t believe he’d asked. did I really know something he didn’t? I held back my own shock, and did the best I could to keep from bumbling. “Well, it’s like seeing, but with magic. I just close my eyes, focus on my horn, and pulse it out. That way I can sense what’s around me. It works through walls too.”

He’d been jotting notes down as I spoke. He showed great interest in what I said. A first for me.

He got up from behind his desk, and tried to navigate back through the paper piles. “I have a proposition for you. Think of it as a permanent assignment.”

I managed to keep my voice down, but I couldn’t control my grin. “What kind of assignment?”

“How’d you like to be my research assistant.”

“Research? But this is my first year! I’m supposed to be learning!” I should’ve been able to control myself, but it was quite a shock. I never imagined I’d be teaching them about magic.

“It seems we have something to learn from you. A pony of your talent doesn’t come along very often. How could I not give you this opportunity?” I could tell it was a rhetorical question, but I wanted to give him an answer anyway. I didn’t belong in research. I needed to tell him that.

Still, mom and dad would be overflowing with pride if they knew their daughter was a researcher after one day. When I looked at it that way, How could I say no. “It would be an honor. When do I start?”

He looked at me with a sense of energy and enthusiasm. “That’s the spirit! You won’t regret this; you’ll help make discoveries we can’t even think of right now!”

He was psyched. Either he would always be this way, or he was telling the truth, and this really doesn’t happen very often, or ever

“Oh, and to answer your question, you’ll begin immediately. Follow me.”

This was the best first day of school ever!

Doctor Chi Chi showed me out of his office, and after that conversation, the school seemed to have a different atmosphere. I wasn’t a lost plebe anymore; I was a researcher!

As we walked along, I couldn’t stop thinking about how strange this felt. I wasn’t complaining, it was just an observation. But still, this was something out of a story. I wondered what I would be researching. Would it be time manipulation? Materialization? My head was filled with possibilities.

Eventually, I noticed that had been walking for quite some time, and that I was actually getting tired. I turned around, and saw a spiral staircase heading down. I had no idea how long we had been on them.

“Doctor?”

“Please, call me Chi Chi.”

“Where are we exactly?” We kept heading down the stairs, and soon came upon a massive library. I had never seen so many books in one place. Given enough time, I could’ve learned everything known to ponies.

“This is your new classroom.” He explained. “For now, I’d like you to familiarize yourself with the research we’ve already done. Maybe you’ll even find some holes to fill in.”

I don’t know what exactly I was expecting, but I guess I had to start somewhere. Besides, this could get interesting. I’d get to see what the spells the greatest minds had come up with.

“Research topics are in sections G and H. Knock yourself out.”

With that, he left me on my own, surrounded by knowledge. I didn’t want to be a disappointment. I headed over to section G. To my surprise, it wasn’t that large, just 3 shelves that didn’t even extend to the end of the row. Section H filled up the rest, so it was just an entire row of magic knowledge, all from this school.

There was so much choice, I didn’t know where to begin. I browsed the top shelf, and eventually settled on ‘Weather Manipulation: The End of a Pegasi Monopoly’. It sure seemed interesting, though I knew a few ponies who could argue with the title.

I picked up a few more, and started looking for a comfortable reading place. As I was walking, I noticed on old wooden door, standing all on it’s own against the wall. There was a sign hanging above it, reading one word.

‘RESTRICTED’

Restricted to who, I wonder? Oh well. I’d find out later. For now, it was time to hit the books.

Hours flew by in seconds, and I’d only scratched the surface of the schools knowledge. I had no idea that Canterlot Academy was responsible for Winter Wrap up spells. Or that ponies from the academy discovered the first Ursa Minor. I could only imagine what my contribution would be. My thoughts were broken by the sound of hoof steps from the entrance. It was Chi Chi.

“How are you holding up down here. I know it can get kind of lonely.”

“I haven’t noticed.” I was already on casual terms with him. “I’ve been completely engrossed in the papers.”

He chuckled a bit, but it wasn’t at my expense. “Well don’t get obsessed with just the past. you’ll be contributing to this library, too.”

Only then did I start to feel drowsy. Chi Chi noticed. “Why don’t you go hit the hay. You’ve had an exhausting day.”

“You can say that again.”

As we were walking out, I looked back to the restricted the door. “Oh, Chi Chi, I almost forgot.”

He turned his head to face me. “What is it, Stardust?”

“What’s behind that ‘restricted’ door? Am I allowed to check those papers.”

Chi Chi took on a more serious tone. I suddenly got a better idea of what restricted meant. “Those papers are on dark magic. Spells no pony should perform. You mustn’t read them, for your own sake. Do you understand.”

I hadn’t known him for very long, but I could tell this was not ordinary behavior for him. I gave him a nod, and he continued up the stairs. I respected him as the dean, but I had to wonder, what are they hiding behind that door?