• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 674 Views, 13 Comments

Caravan Trails: Dust and Blood - Tomsketchit



In a world of toil and strife, where civilazation is just barely beginning to spread, everything rests on the shoulders of those brave enough to venture into the wastelands to deliver supplies. Everything rests... on the caravaneers.

  • ...
1
 13
 674

Prologue: Side Tracked

Caravaneers

By Tom Sketchit

Prologue: Side Tracked

Cracked Wing Canyon... a place renowned through-out the loose connection of towns, forts, and cities commonly referred to as Equestria for its foreboding sheer cliff faces, intricate cave systems, and randomly appearing wind currents known to bash unwary pegasi into the jagged canyon walls (thus the name).

It was also known for being the fastest route from the castle town of Canterish to the ailing town of Maresi. But even if this were the case, no caravan in its right mind would go through this path unless they were crazy, stupid, or desperate.

"Come lads! Let's get through this as quick as can be! We must reach Maresi before sundown!"

Of course, the caravaneer known as Side Track definitely qualified for two of those titles.


It wasn't the most impressive caravan, but it was nothing to scoff at either. Ten wagons in all, loaded with food, clothing, medicine... all the necessary supplies to help the poor mining town. Most wagons were pulled by two Earth ponies each, with the exception of two, each pulled by a single minotaur. Along side the wagons walked the rest of the crew. A few unicorn mechanics ran here and there, checking the wagons for any faults. Gryphon guards and mercenaries kept an eye out for danger, from both on foot and from the sky, wielding swords, spears, even the rare weapon known as a 'firearm'. Several pegasi perched atop the wagons or carefully took to the sky, aiding in the watch, ready for danger.

And sitting atop the first wagon in the train was an aged stallion... Side Track, leader of this modest caravan. To the right him sat his lover and fiance, a lovely pegasus named Short Cut, who acted as the caravan's head navigator. And to the left of him sat a pony he had saved from certain death in the middle of the desert a few weeks ago. The other members of the crew had been suspicious of her, had wanted to throw her out, but Side Track wouldn't hear of it. She was just a lost, hurt mare. After spending so much time with her, he couldn't help but think of the lass as like a daughter to him. Short Cut had been the first crew member besides him to accept her, and eventually most of the others had taken to her charm. Still, there was some distrust in her... nothing Side couldn't stomp out later.

Right now though, most of the crew had bigger things to worry about. This was Cracked Wing Canyon after all... but it wasn't just the sudden gales that would blow through every now and then, or the rocky walls bordering them on both sides, that caused this nervousness. There were tales... rumors... about this place. Tales that many who enter the canyon never leave it... that they just seem to disappear without a trace. They knew it was silly... how could an entire caravan just up and disappear? But still... every tale has a grain of truth, they say. Many caravans had gone missing before. And occasionally, survivors of wagon attacks spoke of a dark cloud that would hang over the canyon, raining down death upon those foolish enough to enter that wicked place. And from that haunted look on their face... you just knew there was something to their claims...

But none of this bothered those three at the front. Side Track's eyes were glued dead ahead, gazing towards the far off exit to the canyon that would put them just a few hours away from their destination. Short Cut cheerfully went over her maps again, checking and double checking to be sure nothing went wrong. And as for the newcomer... she just gazed wistfully up to some of the caves lining the canyon walls, a proud smirk on her face. If anyone had seen her then, they would have noticed her give a brief nod, as if in approval, up to one of those caves.

Suddenly, Short Cut stood up and stretched out her wings. "Air feels like there won't be another gust for a long while. I'm gonna fly up and see if I can't get a look at our progress."

After a quick approving smile from her future husband, she took to the skies, gracefully sailing up to the top of the canyon. Side watched her, in awe of her beauty and elegance as always. Then he noticed her slow, something having caught her eye it would seem. As she flew towards the cliff face to see what it was, suddenly her eyes grew wide, and she turned to shout an unheard warning before turning tail to dash back down.

What is she-

Suddenly, a dark figure lunged out of the cave she had approached, flinging a crude spear with deadly accuracy, stabbing her right through the back of her throat. Her face suddenly frozen in a mask of horror, she crashed to the ground next to the third wagon, blood gushing from her punctured neck.

"NOOOO!!" the caravaneer shouted, leaping to the ground to rush to her side. But it was too late... there was no way anypony could survive such a blow. Fighting back tears in his eyes, he heard panicked shouts, screams of pain, gunshots... and he realized what she had tried to warn him. He watched her lips move in his memories, reading them, hearing the one word all caravaneers feared...

"AMBUSH!"

Just as Side Track began to rise, he felt a hoof roughly shove him back down, making him land on top his dead fiancee's corpse. And then... the cold steel of a blade point pressed against his neck. "Beautiful, isn't she?" he heard a familiar voice purr.

"You!? You were behind this?! After all we've done, you betray us?! She trusted you! I TRUSTED YOU!!!"

All he received was an amused chuckle. "Oh, dear Side Track, you poor old fool. Did you honestly think you could trust the Queen of Death? That's right, you heard me. Now then, take a look at the sky dear. Tell me what you see."

As the blade pulled back a little, Side Track glared to the sky... and froze.

"Mother of Celestia..."

The sky had been blotted out by a writhing, swarming mass of winged, dark-coated creatures. Spears were flung down from the heavens to skewer an unlucky crew member.

"The cloud... the Death Cloud..."

Suddenly, he screamed in agony as the blade swept across his back, leaving a deep gash. He was spun around and thrown to the ground, and he fought the pain long enough to look his attacker in her shining eyes.

"Just wanted to make sure that the last things you would see would be the face of you and your crew's deaths. So, fair well, Side Track. Say hi to the goddesses for me!"

And before he could respond, he had an ornate dagger stabbed in between his ribs, had that dagger forced down and twisted before being pulled out by the pony he had been so fond of. She simply laughed and stepped away to finish her business, leaving him there to slowly bleed to death.

As he closed his eyes and let everything fade to black, two ponies came to mind. One was his beloved... "Short Cut... I'll be with you soon"... and the second... a young stallion... eyes gleaming with pride, full of hopes and dreams...

"Wagon Trail... I'll never see you again lad... never see you fulfill those dreams... please... use my final gifts wisely..."

Author's Note:

So, yeah. This is the start of a little thing that came to mind yesterday. I don't plan on doing too much with it right now, mainly just posting it to see what kind of reaction it receives. If people think it's good, then I'll keep going. If not... well, I'll still keep going, just not as fast.

Thanks for reading, leave a comment below, and tell me what you think.
Bye!