• Published 24th Sep 2013
  • 2,860 Views, 33 Comments

Diamond Tiara's Little Sister - AliceA020



Diamond Tiara gains a little sister, and she's not happy about it.

  • ...
1
 33
 2,860

Diamond Tiara's Little Sister

The sun peered through the curtains. Diamond Tiara sat up, yawned, and stretched before opening her eyes. She trotted over to her luxurious mirror, giving herself a disgusted look with how ratty and tatty her hair looked. She picked up a brush and raised it to her two-toned purple and white hair, brushing it to give it that luscious look. Once she was satisfied, she set down the brush and smirked at her reflection. Then she grabbed her tiara—her most prized possession—and placed it on her head.

Her icy blue eyes were what made it all perfect. Had they been another color—green, brown, hazel, anything—her complexion wouldn’t have worked out nearly as well.

“Oh Diamond Tiara,” she said, looking at herself in the mirror. “You sure are lucky to be you!” she complimented herself.

She turned and looked at her room, making sure it was as clean as it usually was.

Check.

No item was out of place. Her doll house was to the right of her bed, like it usually was. Her dolls that she made herself—replicas of the CMC—lay scattered in front. All of them were scratched and beaten due to the devious tortures Diamond liked to do to them, pretending they were the real CMC. Her floor was a hardwood one, with a purple rug hiding slightly under her bed. Her bed was the same deep purple as the rug. It was a large bed too: too large for just one pony, especially one of her size. But to her, it was perfect.

Pictures of her and Silver were all taped up on the wall. One was in a frame, resting on her black bedside table.

Giving a satisfied nod, she turned and proceeded to trot out of her glorious room.

Walking downstairs, her servants had prepared everything for the perfect breakfast. She sat down, waiting to be served. Once it came, Diamond was happy with what was on the plate—Pancakes and eggs. Her favorite.

After her plate was all cleaned, she said her goodbyes to her father before proceeding out the door. Silver Spoon was waiting at the curb, just like usual. They greeted each other with their usual greetings before walking off to school, her and Silver chatting all along the way.

It was just another usual day—learn, make fun of the CMC, learn some more, make fun of the CMC more. Once the school day had come to a closure, she walked home with Silver, said goodbye to her friend and walked inside.

“Diamond!” Her dad greeted her with a smile. “Glad to see you here! I have a surprise for you!”

“A surprise?” she gasped. “For me?” A fake astonishment indeed, but none of which her father could tell. Of course she should get surprises and gifts. She’s Diamond Tiara—the richest and prettiest filly in Ponyville.

Her father nodded before turning his head. When he turned back around, in his teeth was a paper with a bunch of words Diamond didn’t care to read. What caught her attention most was the red checkmark that took up at least a fourth of the paper. “Surprise!” her father said through clenched teeth.

“Father, this is a piece of paper with a fat check mark on it,” Diamond Tiara pointed out.

“It’s not just any piece of paper with a fat check mark on it—“ He set down the paper on the coffee table next to him. “—it’s the adoption approval!”

“Adoption approval? For what?

“Your little sister!”
***

“Ugh! It’s so unfair!” Diamond said as she slammed her face into the desk. “He never bothered to ask me how I felt about this!” Diamond raised her head and pointed a hoof at herself as she spoke.

“It can’t be that bad,” consoled Silver Spoon.

“You have got to be kidding me!” Diamond stood up and began pacing back and forth. “With a younger filly around, she’ll be getting all of the attention instead of me!” She stopped, looked at Silver while her face was scrunched up with anger, and pointed at herself as she said “me”. Silver Spoon sighed, trying to think of any way she could help her upset friend.

“When is she coming anyway?” Silver asked.

“Next week,” said Diamond as she kept her angry gaze on the ground.

Currently, all the other fillies and colts were outside with Cheerilee supervising them, as it was Recess. But Diamond was too upset to venture on outside with the others, and Silver Spoon decided to stay back to comfort her.

“Well, look at it this way,” Silver began, catching Diamond’s attention. “Maybe she can pick on the CMC with us. After all, the CMC wouldn’t dare pick on such a young filly.”

“But what if she gets gifts and I don’t? What if she gets all the attention and I don’t? I’m the youngest of our family! Everyone adores me! But if a new, younger filly came…” Diamond’s voice lowered as she spoke.

Silver sighed. “Then I guess you’ll just have to do your best to make sure you are the center of attention.” Diamond nodded. With those words spoken, the bell rang, signaling the end of recess. Fillies and colts came piling through the door. Once they were all sat in their seats, Cheerilee once again began teaching.
***

The days of the week seemed to pass on by so fast, as the day of Diamond’s little sister’s arrival grew closer.

Diamond picked on CMC twice as much during that week, as if it was consoling her.

Throughout the week, she began thinking what it’d truly be like? Would she enjoy it? What would the filly be like? Kind-hearted? Snobby? Was she correct about becoming a shadow to the filly, where no one paid any attention to her anymore?

Finally, the day came. The questions she had asked herself will finally be answered. While at school, Diamond would often find herself tapping her desk impatiently. When Cheerilee finished up the final lesson of the day and dismissed everypony, Diamond was packing up slowly. She would stay behind and pick on the CMC more than usual, even though they usually leave right when Silver is ready.

It was clear Diamond wasn’t happy about the little sister thing—anypony could tell just from looking at her. Her face was scrunched up in anger as she kept her gaze at the ground. She stomped. Hard. It hurt a bit to be honest but she didn’t care.

As if in response to her emotions, clouds gathered in the sky, and it began to rain. While most ponies rushed inside to get cover, she stayed at her slow and steady pace. Her once beautiful hair now drooped. Her coat grew wet and cold. For once, Diamond didn’t care how she looked. It’s not like anypony was around to see her anyway.

As she neared the large mansion known as her home, she walked slower and slower. However, that didn’t keep her from ever reaching the doorsteps.

This is it. She thought as she raised a hoof to the doorknob, twisting it slowly and opening. She didn’t even have time to get a word out, as immediately she was greeted with a hug from a little filly—one definitely smaller than her, but not by much.

Diamond didn’t like her already.

The small filly pulled back and Diamond was finally able to get a good look at her.

She had a light purple coat, and green eyes that shone like emeralds. She had a two-toned mane— a light green and darker purple than her coat. Her mane and tail flowed in such a way that made even Diamond jealous.

She was pretty, Diamond must admit. But that just made things worse. This little filly would just be getting even more attention.

“Diamond! Meet your new little sister—Violet Mist!”

“Big Sister!” Violet squeaked, grinning at Diamond.

“Violet,” Diamond scowled.

“Why don’t you two play with each other and take some time to get to know each other?” Her father suggested.

“Oh dad, as much as I’d love to play with Violet,” Diamond looked down at the filly as she spoke. “I have some homework to do.” That was a lie. No homework was given that day, but Diamond didn’t want to spend time with her new little sister.

Her father sighed. “Alright, maybe later then.” Diamond nodded before darting up the stairs, opening and closing her door, and locking it. She then ran over and plopped onto her bed before grabbing one of the many pillows, hugging and holding it close to her, burying her face in it.

Only Silver knew this, but Diamond was pretty insecure about herself. Years ago, before Diamond had gained her cutie mark, Diamond’s mother had left both her daughter and husband. Not by choice, but through death. But her mother had one expectation of Diamond—That Diamond follows in her footsteps of being perfect and absolutely beautiful.

Yes, Diamond’s mother was strict. She was bossy and rude, but that didn’t change how much Diamond and Filthy Rich had loved her, because she still had times where she was the sweetest pony. However, the mare often scolded her daughter when she didn’t look just right, or messed things up, causing Diamond to grow insecure. To hide it, she acts snobby. She picks on other ponies and acts like she thinks highly of herself. But she just wants to live up to her mother’s expectation is all.

Seeing how pretty Violet was made the insecurities return. Not only that, but Violet would most likely be getting a lot of attention. Diamond loved attention because it kept her from feeling alone. But now she would probably only be a shadow to her younger sister.

A knock at the door scared Diamond a bit, making her flinch.

“Big Sister! Big Sister!” That annoying voice came. Diamond’s face boiled in anger.

No, not anger.

Jealousy.

“Ugh! Go away!” Diamond threw a pillow at the door with—more or less—perfect timing. Poor little Violet had opened in the door at the wrong time.

The force of the pillow made the filly stumble back a bit. Her face hurt a bit from it too.

Being such a young one, Violet didn’t know how to handle it, so she plopped down on her bottom, and closed her eyes as she began to cry. She held her hoofs up to her face as she was doing so.

Who knows? Maybe it wasn’t just the pain of the pillow hitting her face that made her cry like that. Maybe it was also due to the fact that this was her big sister that was treating her so rudely.

At the sight of her adopted younger sister crying, Diamond immediately felt regret for her actions.

Why? She asked herself. She had never felt regret for making somepony cry before, so why for this one?

And then it hit her.

It was because this was her little sister.

Adopted or by blood, this little filly was still legally Diamond’s little sister. And the sight of her crying made Diamond’s heart ache.

Diamond got off the bed and slowly walked over to Violet. Once there, Diamond pulled Violet in for a hug.

“I’m sorry,” Diamond whispered.

Violet’s eyes widened at her words and actions but she didn’t pull away. Instead, she wiped away her tears and put her own forelegs around her big sister. “It’s okay.”

Diamond broke the hug, still having her hooves on her little sister’s shoulders. “I’ll play with you now… if you want.” The filly’s face immediately broke into a wide grin as she nodded her head eagerly. Diamond couldn’t help but give a small smile at Violet’s joyfulness.

Violet stood up and ran to Diamond’s doll house in the corner, Diamond following in pursuit.
***
“Girls! Dinner!” Their father called.

The sun had now began to set, the sky’s colors orange blending with pink. They sure had played for a while, and they both enjoyed every minute of it.

Diamond set down the doll she had been holding and stood up. “Coming!” she shouted.

“Big Sister…” Diamond turned around and saw her little sister looking up at her with those big eyes.

“I love you.”

Diamond’s eyes widened a bit after hearing those words, but they soon returned to normal and she gave a soft smile.

She reached up, taking off her prized tiara, setting it on Violet’s head. It didn't fit correctly, and fell a bit to the side, but stayed put after that. The tiara held some hair in place in front of the filly’s right eye.

“I love you too, Little Sister.”

Comments ( 33 )

This was really cute, but over too soon! :unsuresweetie:

I think there was more to explore here.

Nice characterization on DT and SS. Well done, :twilightsmile: have a gold star. :raritywink:

3249707
Thank you :twilightsmile:

3249823
Er, sorry. I'm still pretty new at writing, though I guess that isn't really an excuse :ajsleepy:
I just wanted to make this a short and sweet sort of thing

3249857
Thank you ^-^


~All of your feedback is appreciated~

3249898

Based on this, you're capable of more. Keep writing. I just thought it got to the feelz too soon. I wanted DT to earn that compassion. Especially since you've got that HUGE deal of her mom dying. There's really rich material here!

3249912
Alright, thank you. I'll certainly try much harder on my future stories :twilightsmile:

What a sweet story i give it a 9/10 :heart:

O.k., an intresting concept but one that could've been expanded. :eeyup:

Very sweet story. Well written, with a plausible explanation for Diamond's less than congenial behavior.

Theres a lot to explore here you should maybe keep it going, DT could become the pony we all know she has the potential to be with Violet's help

Great story, you've got potential.

Celestia's most famous commandment:
"Love Thy little Sister"

Across centuries, scholars wondered about this. Perhaps there was a personal component involved...

Aw, that was so sweet, my chest is starting to hurt... or maybe it's a stroke?

...Yup, it's a stroke, excuse me while I take a trip to the hospital.

You have an interesting premise here. It's the sort of idea I could see implemented into the show if there were actually enough interest to make a Diamond Tiara-centered episode. Your grammar, spelling, and punctuation are excellent, and you didn't waste any time with unnecessary details that take focus away from the main plot. You may want to watch your tense, though. There are several times you slip into present tense even though the story is mostly told in the past.

If I could offer some advice on the story's structure, I believe this story could benefit from two key additions:
1) Filthy needs an explanation as to why he adopted Violet. It doesn't need to be a complex reason, but the fact that he gives no reason at all makes it feel like an excuse plot rather than an actual conflict. Since this is the only conflict in the story, it's a pretty big issue.

2) Diamond needs more time to come around to her sister. Though you normally don't go into much detail for simplicity's sake, you go into great detail about Diamond's backstory and the reason behind her present behavior. You give her an established reason to hate the little sister, but you immediately throw it away, turning it on its head and having Diamond essentially forget about it. If you just want Diamond to immediately accept her new sister because of the realization that she was her sister, the reason she hates her needs to be petty, not deep-seated. When deep-seated issues are resolved through trivial means, it makes the character development feel a bit forced.

I'd call this story an Oreo cookie. It's small, it's simple, and it's sweet at the core. Decent snack for what it is.

Make the most!

3249823 iTs incomplete, give it some time:derpytongue2:

3255234

It was incomplete complete yesterday.

My scheme is working! :pinkiecrazy:

Is this it? Pls continue its great!

3255303
Nah, I decided to make this into a one-shot series ^^

Comment posted by Pinkshy Rarilight dash deleted Sep 26th, 2013
Comment posted by Pinkshy Rarilight dash deleted Sep 26th, 2013

DT see how you feel when you have a younger sibling. :rainbowwild:

How cute! :scootangel: Got anymore stories like this? :trixieshiftright:

3791677 Not at the moment, but I have another little one-shot planned and hopefully it'll be cute as well!

You've left yourself wide open for either a sequel, or extending this past a one-shot. I for one would like to see more. :twilightsmile:

Heart... Exploded... Love the developement for Diamond and that ending just made things better :twilightsmile:

Ah, so violets a their who conned her way into the rich household for the inheritance. How else could she have known how to pick the locked door to diamond tiaras room?

She locked the door... How did Violet open it? Oh god she's a witch!!!


Great story tho

I want a sequel.

right now.

SO CUTE!!!:heart::heart::heart: I love this, liked and faved,

on a side note: FINALLY!! I read this story before I had an account, but I couldn't track it in any way despite loving it, and I finally found it!!!:yay:

Like it, but the only gripe I have is that I'm pretty sure servants would do most of the things you had filthy ritch do (mainly the part where you had him calling out to diamond and violent towards the end) but that's just me nitpicking. As a whole, not a bad one-shot.:twilightsmile:

You know, I first read this story several weeks ago, but something didn't occur to me until now.

Here, we see Diamond Tiara gain a new little sister via adoption. However, one may want to take a look at both Filthy and Spoiled Rich, and then at Diamond Tiara. She looks nothing like her parents. With that in mind, is it possible that Diamond Tiara herself is adopted?

Login or register to comment