• Published 22nd Sep 2013
  • 6,162 Views, 62 Comments

The Beach Kinda Sucks without You - elPossenreisser



Twilight is busy and can’t spend her time with the other girls during their beach vacation. Missing her is bad enough for Rainbow, but there is also something she needs to know from Twilight.

  • ...
10
 62
 6,162

Not So Sucky Anymore

Not So Sucky Anymore

“Lookie here who’s in a good mood,” Applejack greeted Rainbow as she landed at the beach, returning from putting away all the supplies she had organized for the date. The girls and Spike had already taken up their spot and were preparing for another leisurely day at the sea. “I half expected y’all to still be sleepin’ over there. Two of you looked a mite cute when I saw y’all on my morning run!”

Rainbow started. “You… you saw us?”

At that, Rarity perked up her ears. “Us?” She turned to Rainbow Dash and poked a hoof against her chest. “Will you finally tell me what is going on?”

“You mean that Rainbow and Twilight had a date last night and slept on the beach?” Pinkie asked, her head poking out from her strip mine.

“You knew!?” Rainbow, Rarity, and Applejack gasped in unison.

“Well, duh!” Pinkie Pie stared at them. “First Rainbow got all mopey when Twilight had to stay in the other hotel to meet the sea pony ambassador. Then Twilight writes a letter, and Rainbow is all excited and jumpy, like me, when I tried a triple caramel muffin in that funny club in Canterlot. Then Rainbow disappears for the night and returns super smiley, and there’s a mark of two ponies on a picnic blanket right over there. You really don’t have to be a Twilight McSmartypants to make sense of that.” While everypony was still busy staring at Pinkie Pie, mouth agape, she pulled Rainbow into a crushing hug. “I’m so happy for you guys!”

Rarity’s eye twitched. “And Applejack, darling, you knew about this, too?” she asked with suspicious calm in her voice.

“Eyup,” Applejack simply nodded. “It’s your story to tell, sugarcube,” she encouraged Rainbow Dash.

The pegasus sighed. “Not much to tell. Twi and I went out on our first date on Saturday. I kinda needed somepony to talk to afterwards, so I went to AJ.” She shot the farmer a nasty glare. “Never. Again.”

“Aw shucks, sugarcube, it was all in good fun,” Applejack smiled. Rainbow Dash snorted.

“Fluttershy, dear? Did… did you know of this, too?”

Fluttershy shied back and hid her face behind her mane. “No, I didn’t. I mean, I could guess they went on a date last night, and that Rainbow Dash was… oh, but I didn’t know that Rainbow and Twilight spent the night on the beach. Eep!”

Rarity’s eye twitched once more. With very self-possessed motions, she got up and put on her hat. “Spike, I am in desperate need of well-mannered company right now. Would you care to join me for a bucket of ice cream?” Spike jumped up and followed Rarity towards the ice cream parlor. The others laughed.

“Ice cream!” Rainbow suddenly shouted. “I forgot the ice cream!” Before the other girls could react, she had already darted away.

***

“… and we will meet again in half an hour,” Princess Celestia said. Her smile looked as radiant as ever, even after almost two days of tedious negotiations with the ambassador of the sea ponies. Twilight fought back a yawn. She had slept perfectly fine last night, but the proceedings were really tiresome.

Suddenly the window of the corridor burst open and Rainbow Dash darted in. “Rainbow!” Twilight exclaimed, surprised.

“Hey Twi!” Rainbow pulled Twilight into a hug and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Yeah, she was just awesome as that, kissing her… kissing Twilight like nopony’s business. She shoved an ice cream cone into Twilight’s hoof. “You never got to taste this amazing ice cream!”

Belatedly she bowed before Princess Celestia who was watching with an amused smile. “Sorry for bursting in here like this, Princess,” she said, scratching her temple and grinning.

“Princess,” Twilight said, blushing under Princess Celestia’s curious smile, “allow me to introduce to you my girlfriend, Rainbow Dash.”

Girlfriend! Rainbow totally liked the sound of that!

Comments ( 33 )

Two chapters at once :yay:

I figured there's not enough going on in this chapter to keep people waiting for it :twilightsmile:

This was actually the third story I wrote for this contest. The first one wouldn't finish. Hated the second one. So you get this. You're gonna have to judge for yourselves if this is a good thing :twilightblush:

I really enjoyed it, though I do wish it was a bit longer.

Awww shucks... I really hoped it would be longer.:fluttershysad:

But a really nice story. The 'speed date' is so Rainbow-like... :facehoof: BUT it is funny and somewhat heartwarming. and the awkwardness between them is also very authentic. And desperate Rarity is just so very entertaining!:rainbowlaugh:

3251914
You know, after your first comment sounded rather unenthusiastic, this is all the more welcome :twilightsmile:

3253147
:twilightblush: :rainbowderp:

3253045
Glad you liked it :twilightsmile: I'll blame RL and contest time constraints :twilightblush:

3253164
I'm really happy the awkwardness and the speed-date idea kinda came across :twilightsmile: Glad you enjoyed it (poor Rarity :raritydespair: )

XD Oh my. I wanna see the rest of it! I love how it is coming out!:twilightsmile::heart::rainbowkiss:

Two words:
oh...shit
BTW love the story!

Rarity is out of the loop. :rainbowlaugh: Great story.

SHL

Very good one :pinkiehappy: And Pinkie Pie with her deductive skills XDDDDD

Another great story from you, i look forward to the next creation of your's :twilightsmile:

Great story, I have nothing to complain about. Exept that such a wonderful story have to end so quickly. But even when it would have ended after over 100.000 words it would be still to soon.

It´s short, but not rushed. All of it seems right and after a long time I can´t find anything wrong in a story.

Ok....one little thing. In the end it should stand "marefriend" instead of "girlfriend", but thats just my oppinion.

Oh TwiDash...you never fail to melt my heart:heart: (and get me in a cheesy mood to:twilightblush:)

Very nice and cute story, love it.
:heart::twilightsmile::rainbowwild::heart:

3258206
Well, considering that the term "marefriend" is never used in the show, but "girlfriend" is, I'd say that girlfriend is the canon term for it.

Good story, if a little short. At least it was a cute, quick read. Certainly a breath of fresh air from the 100k+ word count stories I have in my read later list...

3253248
Um... sorry to disappoint, but that's all there is :twilightoops:

3253282 3255649 3259902 3255829
Glad y'all liked it :twilightsmile:

3255320
Poor girl :raritycry: ( :raritywink: )

3258206 3259915
Thanks, glad you guys liked it :twilightsmile: Yeah, it's a little on the short side of things, but I wanted something shorter this time around. Glad it still doesn't feel rushed :twilightsmile:
My reasoning for "girlfriend" is that they address each other as "girls" all the time, so the word / concept of a "girl" exists. I don't mind "marefriend" or "fillyfriend", but I just decided to go with "girlfriend". Arbitrary when I'm using expressions like "on the other hoof"? Hell yeah! :twilightblush:

3257060
I'm flattered :twilightblush: thanks!

✈ Don't question me...

3264727
:rainbowderp:

3265981
Glad you liked it :twilightsmile:

I would also like to mention that there has been a slight update, polishing some stuff I thought could use some more polishing. Just sayin', so it doesn't get lost or nothin' :twilightsheepish:

3266846 YOU QUESTIONED THE MAGICAL PLANE GERDAMMIT

A nice story.
As some said a little one the short side, considering how good I find your writing I could certainly stand to read a bit more, but with the current plot there's no need for it to be any longer.
Good luck in the competition.:twilightsmile:

It may have been short, but while I wished there was more, I can't help but think it was perfectly encapsulated. A good finishing point for the reader to imagine what happens onwards, you know?

Anyway, this was an adorable story, and I'm glad to have read it. Thank you very much! :)

How come you say girlfriend and not marefriend they are pony's after all.
Except that great story kinda an interrupt ending but a good story nonetheless :twilightsmile:

:rainbowwild:Simply fantastic. I like how simply its written. Nothing is really overly described, and its sort of breezed through, but not in a bad way. You get just enough understanding of whats happening in a scene, then it moves on. The character interaction is great too!

Excellently written, and a great read.

I came in expecting another "Daring Dash and Rosetta Sparkle" -esque story, and it wasn't. Not at all. Completely different.

I like it.

I like it so much that it deserves a like. Take this like, because I like it. Did I mention that I like it?

Oh, and yes, I am the head of the department of redundancies department.

Shut up and take my likes!

3266846 I really enjoyed the fic, it was well written, it had a great plot, with excellent use of true character personalities, i only have one grammar mistake i would like to point out being an English teacher.:twilightsmile:

Quote: -
"Her smile looked as radiant was ever."

it would of made more sense if it were

"Her smile looked as radiant as ever."


But other then that i loved it

10/10

5844121
Thank you very much, fixed it :twilightsmile:

5844673 your welcome friend:twilightsmile:

Loved it this was freaking adorable and hilarious!

Yeah, it could easily wear a pony down, not knowing where one stood with somepony as awesome. Unlike Rainbow, poor Twilight was likely obsessing about this.

But what if she wasn’t?

:trixieshiftright:
Rainbow Dash is just so adorable, and I can totally see this happening.

“Well,” Rarity spoke, “there is a Quills and Sofas store in town, near the marketplace. You can probably get – “

Mother of god, it's a chain!?!

“And I hope I don’t have to get you drunk,” Rainbow heard herself say. Smooth, sure, but also very straightforward. Not that that was a bad thing, but still – what if it was too straightforward? What if she scared Twi away with her smooth moves?

Smooth?

Super super good

5844121

i only have one grammar mistake i would like to point out being an English teacher.:twilightsmile:

Quote: -
"Her smile looked as radiant was ever."

it would of made more sense if it were

"Her smile looked as radiant as ever."

being an English teacher

First: would of should have been would have
Second: it wasn't a grammatical error, it was a spelling error.

walking along a beach alone being boring is lowkey the main message of death stranding

Login or register to comment