• Published 18th Sep 2013
  • 2,397 Views, 27 Comments

The Silent Song of Sadness - Diablomuerte2



A song never heard sung by one who rarely speaks, can anyone hear the music before it tragically ends?

  • ...
7
 27
 2,397

Finally Heard

Finally Heard

Luna, the lunar princess, had been adjusting to the new age in which she arrived upon her return from exile. She was unable to fully grasp the new generation's way of living, but attempted to follow suit. Sadly her efforts were not met with great reward; as she was still feared by many ponies and still suffered lonely nights.

When she wasn't busy helping somepony with a nightmare, she was constantly looking at the moon that had been her prison for the thousand year exile. She was chosen by destiny to govern the same moon that held her, the irony of it wasn't lost on her. She stared at it and sung a song that couldn't be heard by anypony, except those who knew true loneliness.

Being isolated for an entire millennium and trapped inside the mind of a demonic entity was a punishment worse than death. A punishment that was delivered by her own sister. Luna wasn't innocent in her crimes and knew she would have been punished, though she didn't expect such severity as a consequence.

The legends portray her as a villain that needed to be dealt with in such harsh terms. Nopony ever bothered to check the facts about what truly happened that night. Luna and Celestia did have an argument and it got out of hand. Luna was attacking Celestia, but it was not for dominance, it was merely a cry for help.

Like her song the cry went unheeded and Celestia unwittingly ignored the suffering Luna was going through. The entire fiasco could have ended peacefully. The words that weren't said and the actions that weren't taken caused it to end poorly. While Celestia had every right to stop Luna's out of control behavior, she could have done so with love and care.

Luna wanted nothing more than to be loved, for the crime of desiring love and not receiving it, fate had turned her into a monster. She was banished to the moon as a monster and spent the millennium suffering in isolation going mad. Through the eternal suffering of the saddened mare, was hope. Hope, that one day her sister would realize the mistake she made and undo the banishment.

She was hoping that Celestia would find a way to bring her back and, they could talk out their problems. Slowly the portion of Luna that existed in Nightmare Moon got buried inside the insanity that was the Nightmare. Luna had no thoughts of her own and, could only hear the evil plans the monster that was using her body had wanted to do. It was making her cry, with all the evil she wanted to commit and the horrible plans she had for Celestia.

After being released from the curse that was Nightmare Moon, and reuniting with Celestia, she had hoped for a better future with friendship as her guide. "Silly me, thinking that she would actually show me kindness with them not around." Luna bitterly spat while looking at her accursed moon.

Replaying her memories was not a fun activity. She hated remembering her sister's fake smile that night. They barely spent time together, it was a thousand years ago all over again. The only thing different was that Luna had been able to help some ponies with their lives and help them find peace in rest.

She had a plan for tonight. One that was going to change everything. She learned about portals and how they can take ponies to new worlds. She wanted to try using one and escaping Equestria, she wouldn't be missed in the slightest. It was what she thought and believed since nopony ever requested an audience with her when visiting the castle. It was always her ‘lovely sister’ they sought.

She had felt that same feeling from a thousand years past and, didn't want the events to play out again like they did prior. She wanted to avoid that situation at all costs and decided she to leave for the good of all Equestria. She couldn't allow Nightmare Moon to ever take foothold in her heart again.

Since she was silent about the whole operation, she had expected nopony to stop her at all. She had began using the spell to open the portal that would send her to another realm. She knew nothing of the realm but, anything was better than being alone in her heart. The portal looked serene and felt safe to enter, it was light blue and hummed invitingly.

Luna was about to enter when the portal got destroyed by another pony's magic. "How dare you try and leave me, after I lost you for a thousand years already." the familiar noble voice said causing Luna to turn and face the source of her anguish.

Celestia was standing with her horn lit, her eyes dripping liquid sorrow. "I don't know what drove you to this but we can tal-" she was cut off before she could finish her sentence.

"Talk? You and me? A thousand years ago a talk would have solved all this sister... but you didn't want to talk ... you’d rather stop the monster and be the princess everyone adored... a thousand years Tia... spent alone and miserable because you’d rather have been the hero, instead of the sister." Luna sadly ranted. She began crying uncontrollably, her tears flowed like her emotions did.

Celestia wanted to comfort her. She knew she wouldn't able to get close without triggering some reaction, so she decided against it. "Sister... I was scared... you had seemed twist-" Again she was cut off by the emotionally unstable alicorn.

"You dare, call me twisted? I came to you... I told you what I was feeling and you just made it seem as if I was being jealous. I was alone and you weren't there for me. I loved you more than anything Celestia... you were my eternal sister and my eternal companion." Luna had remembered the day they both decided that no matter what, they would be at each other's side... it was a vow easily broken, it seemed.

"I... what can I do to make it up to you... pleas-" Celestia expected to be cut off again and if she had been a gambling mare, she would have been rich... not that it mattered.

"Make it up to me? How about you turn back time and fix your mistake... oh wait you can't... so I’m suppose to pretend like nothing happened? It was a thousand years... While you were being loved and cherished I was being cursed and hated." Luna spoke with such melancholy that it was hurting her just to speak about the memories.

Celestia approached her sister and nuzzled her in attempts to get through to her psyche. "Luna I can't say I’m sorry... It wouldn't do justice to the regret I felt for locking you away that long." She laid on her stomach next to her sister and put her wing over Luna’s body. She used the wing to hold her close. "I can't do anything to change the past, but I can do whatever you need me to do to change our future."

Luna thought for a second and for the first time became brave enough to request something she was being denied, "I want you to take away your stupid friendship... I’m not your friend, and I never want to be your friend... I want your love. I want the love of my sister and my companion. We had a strong bond once, and I want that back... can you offer me that?" She hesitantly asked.

Celestia was almost in tears at the first part of her sister's statement, when she heard the rest of it she had calmed and smiled. "As you wish, our friendship is nullified and I shall now offer you my love." She got away from her sister's side and, stood in front of her like she did that day when she returned from the moon. "Luna... will you accept my love, dearest sister?"

Luna smiled and tackled her sister to the ground, crying in happiness "Yes... I do." she softly said when she gained her composure. Luna had looked down on the sister she tackled and kissed her forehead. It was a soft and gentle kiss relaying the message that one thousand years ago was never sent.

Celestia smiled and cried tears of joy before enveloping her sister into a fierce hug, holding her for the entire night until they both fell asleep from emotional exhaustion. Celestia had never slept so peacefully she accidentally overslept and knew she probably had given rise to the worry of her subjects. In that moment she didn't care. She was with the one pony who mattered the most to her and she would never forget that, ever again.

With the two sister's having reforged their lost love and made time to spend with one another, the silent song of sadness had eventually turned into a loud song of joy. Never again had Luna looked at the moon alone. She had her eternal companion by her side during the moonlit nights.

Author's Note:

Oh yeah Author's Notes... ummm Hope you enjoyed the fic... I had always wanted to write something like this since the 1k years and the lack of LunaTia bonding canon, had made me wonder just how much Celestia cared about her sister.

So I made a story... that is all.

Comments ( 27 )

THE FEELS:raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair:

3220765 Yeah I mean it would only make sense for something like this to end with lots of feels... Luna and Celestia have been family for a long time and separated for too long for their eventual talk to not end with tears.

I don't accept that Luna just was ok with being sent to the moon instead of being helped through her darkest hour.

3220774
You bastard! good show.

*Stands up and start clapping*

GOOD SHOW!:raritycry::raritycry:

damnit im never supposed to be happy about anything tyrant sunnybutt ever does.
luna luna LUNA luna is best and god damn this story was good.
even if tia wasn't full bore evil bitch. though she sure started that way.

having tools 46 and 2 then in this moment 11:11 come up random while reading this is kinda horrifying.

3220816 Well she may have launched her sister into the moon prematurely... with the elements of harmony and not her own powers, but she can redeem herself. I don't see her as a tyrant personally just somepony who made a really bad decision when she turned on her family for the sake of other ponies.

She could have tried talking it out, maybe not letting legends demonize her sister so much ... idk seems like something wasn't right about the whole NMM incident.

3220817 That... idk how to respond to that XD

3220856
there was something wrong.
the wrong sister got shipped away. though i do grudgingly hope for reconciliation,luna deserves a better family than mine.
now i hafta hide before my coworkers catch me commenting on pony fic.

3220991 hide your shame good sir, before they take your right to love ponies away. :trollestia:

3221015
its not shame......really.
well mabey the clop fics but i like shame....
i need hide, they already i.p. blocked equestria daily at this damn school.
no checking drawfriends fer me.
wonder if they blocked equestria after dark...... yup, fuck.

Great story, diablo, really great concept, very well written. Loved that ending! Keep up the good work, man!

My only real problems with this fic basically boil down to clashing head-cannons, but I do want to put a thought out here.

Maybe Celestia didn't intend to send her sister to the moon?

I mean, It's not like they sended Luna back to the moon the second time despite that probably being what all the mane 6 were thinking. Also as far as I know it was never said that Celestia had done it on purpose, though I admit it can certainly be taken that way.

I don't know, but it just seems odd to me that Celestia would purposefully lock away her sister for a thousand years while said sister was willing to make things up and not try to work things out during that time if Celestia wanted her back in the end.

3222984 In canon the beginning of MLP states that Luna got jealous of the ponies spending their nights asleep and their days awake and having fun.

She wanted ponies to be awake at night and have the same level of fun and joy. Unfortunately for her, she was denied that due to ponies needing sleep and the day being much easier to stay awake Anyways back to the story.

She was in canon sent to the moon by the powers of the elements of harmony that Celestia used as a "last resort" though what isn't told is just how bad did Luna get before Celestia tried talking to her? Why didn't Celestia try a less severe method of detaining her only sister? It left too much questions that they haven't answered.

I also didn't like how in canon Luna was so easy to forgive Celestia after that 1k year banishment. I think if you look at the second episode or episode 1(part 2) whichever you prefer calling it. Luna is the one with tears and crying while Celestia is all poker face about the whole thing. It doesn't give Celestia a good image and I would like to think that underneath the heart of a ruler is truly the heart of a loving sister.

I hope season 4 shows more Lunestia bonding moments those sisters need to be seen bonding as family. If they could get Rarity to hang out with Sweetie Belle and make it believeable they should have no problem making Luna and Celestia able to hang out canon without it being too awkward.

3223287
These are actually the discussions I like to avoid since frankly, no one can really be right or wrong since there is no actual way of knowing. But this is interesting so please bear with me.

One reason why she didn't may be because whatever made Luna Nightmare Moon, and I'm just assuming that it isn't Luna fully grown or whatever, also gave her a power buff as well. Making it difficult for her to be contained conventionally. Another reason could be that Celestia thought it would just turn Luna into a statue like Discord and that she could talk to her and they could work it out.

Also, I'm pretty sure I saw a tear from Celestia when Luna accepted her friendship, I like how you took a line that was just meant to reinforce the whole friendship thing going on into an actual issue between them, it was actually quit clever and gave me an idea of my own.

I would also love to see episodes like that in season four.

3223361 Yeah well the whole "will you accept my friendship" gag made me wonder about their familial bond. I mean if two family members had an argument that tore them apart and they reconciled I am sure they wouldn't use the word friendship in a way of reconnecting.

Me and my uncle were at enemy status (sorry if I am getting personal here) but I hated his guts and he hated mine after a feud that almost got physical. When we reconciled he didn't offer me friendship, he just apologized for being a dick and asked if I could forgive him. Simply put I said yes because that was my family.

Now I know it doesn't mean all family bonds are that odd, but bear with me, Luna was in the wrong according to the legends. Still Celestia was in the wrong in how she dealt with Luna... So where was Celestia's apology for sending her sister into the moon to suffer isolation for a millennium? Where were the healing sessions of bonding to make up for lost time? It was as if they just said "poof" and Luna is all better.

It just feels like a rush job on their part and enforces the belief that friendship is magic and it can cure all disputes. So why didn't they show Discord friendship pre season 3? Why didn't they attempt to use friendship on king sombra? I mean that guy just needed a hug is all.

Gilda? Friendship didn't cure her of her attitude and instead that episode taught you to hate your old jerky friend even though you knew that jerk longer than you knew the insanely obsessive stalker.

Lightning Dust, the power of friendship had failed there too and instead of them figuring things out together RD just told on her and Spitfire just dishonored her.

So it's like they can't even make up their minds about whether friendship can actually make change or if it's a contrived notion to bring kiddies together to show off their pony merchandise.

3223475
Glad to hear you guys made up, but I think the situation might be just a taaad different. Unless of course you're royalty and have lived for several centuries.:twilightoops:

I always thought that the healing process between the two of them was just off stage, that the moments of them shown together in the end of episode 2 were just them both being glad to be back and Celestia making people think that things were fine and therefore there was no need to worry, even if there was.

As for Celestia apologizing for that, it really depends on how you take Luna being banished to the moon. To me she had been in some sort astral state, her form and mind literally being part of the moon. It just seems right to me since people always called her the mare IN the moon, not on it. The way that the big pony face on it disappeared also made me lean toward that theory.

It could be true that she was conscious for the whole thing but frankly, she'd probably be insane by then. Most humans literally can't spend more than a hour in complete and utter isolation, much less the environment on the moon.

Either way, while an apology is owed it could be not as big as we think.

Also it's not like Luna showed up later in the show being perfectly alright, she was struggling and was not entirely happy.

As for Discord and Sombra, that's a bit different. Discord is......well he's Discord man, he didn't try and talk to them or attempted to show he wanted anything else but to cause misery for his own amusement. Sombra? Two words.

Cryyyystaaalll.....slaaavveesss

The Gilda episode didn't teach you to hate your jerky old friend, or at least that's what I think. I thought that the message might be you can't make outright demands on friends like Gilda did when she told RD that she would either ditch her friends or her. Also, I don't think RD hates her, she just told Gilda that she can't make her change her life just because she doesn't like it.

That Lightning Dust bit was always a bit iffy to me. If I remember correctly though RD did talk to her about the risks they created for themselves and others and LD just laughed it off. Laughed off nearly killing other ponies. Also remember they were in something of a military organization, it was quite literally RD's moral obligation and duty to report something like that and I personally admire that she was willing to give up her dreams for her beliefs.

I never liked how they kicked LD out though, it seemed to me that it was just Spitfire going overboard in trying to keep the sonic rainboom in the wonderbolts.

In both cases however though, I never thought it was friendship that 'failed', more that people just didn't take the steps necessary for it to happen. Gilda could have talked to RD about her issues with Pinkie Pie instead of demanding she dump all of her friends, some of which she never met. LD didn't try talking to RD after being escorted out, she just left.

Friendship is a two way street, you can't expect people to extend it when the other person has already closed it down.

As for selling toys......well yes. The show is meant to sell toys and that's that. It doesn't make the show any less worthy of being watched, and frankly I think the fact that it shows that not all thing work out is a plus for the show. Like all things, friendship can change things but not everything.

3223709

Yet Discord they turned him into a friend and he even said "friendship is magic" during the finale of that episode.

Luna has more likeability then Spike (personally) yet Spike gets unnecessary air time and Luna gets absolutely bupkis. Her shining achievement in the show was making Scootalove canon. She did that and nothing can take that away from her.

Still Luna is supposed to be this night time counterpart of Celestia and she gets not enough love canon.

About the mare IN the moon scenario, she was still isolated for a thousand years. you made that point vividly clear she should be insane. That is what bothered me the most. 1 thousand years in isolation and she is supposedly not wanting to rampage and murder everything even after "being friends?"

I have seen more messed up people in less isolated situations. Solitary confinement in prison is worse than death to inmates. Yet 1000 years of it was nothing to Luna? Why is it that most creatures that get banished by Celestia are banished for 1k years?

Luna/Nightmare Moon, Discord, King Sombra. They all get 1k banishment and people expect them not to be evil monsters?

I think Celestia has a secret fetish for things not aging a thousand years or something.

3223745
Most of what you're arguing is something that the producers of the can only really debate about with you, so I'll be skipping some points of yours. Sorry.

When I meant that Luna was in an astral from and in the moon and all that, I was also going by the theory that she wasn't conscious during that period.

They made Discord a friend in as much of a controlled environment as possible, a scenario quite different than the first time they met him.

Also, it was Celestia and Luna who banished Sombra for a thousand years, and I don't think that they ever intended Discord to be set free, much less a thousand years later.

And while yes we can't expect them to be good people after all that, we can see that they themselves have done similar things, if not worse, to many other people before that happened to them. They're not monsters because they were sealed away, they were sealed away because they were monstrous.

Also, I don't really care for evil Celestia. It's something that I've never really liked and I've seen it too many times. It's a viable idea, but not for me unless I really like the story.

3223826 I never said she was evil just had this penchant for sealing things away and having them not age.

It was intended as a joke merely in reflex to her obnoxiously high count of being the "sealer" of things.

Lastly calling Luna a monster is off and not appreciated. Confused, lonely, and wanting love isn't the signs of a monster.

As for the conscious thing She was conscious the whole time as she even told Twilight about how she was the only pony who knew of her arrival. Luna was basically like Discord stuck in stone or (the moon in this case) and forced to watch the world go on without her. Why do you think their immediate goal after being unleashed was something world changing?

I don't get why Discord is even fit to be reformed, that was like the stupidest decision of the writers unless Discord was selling like hotcakes and Hasbro was like "Bring me Discord"

Anyways it's kinda sad though that a powerful sun deity would allow her sister who she was supposed to love most of all (because family > everyone else irl) allowed her to become corrupt and yet the first sign of twilight becoming Nightmare Bitch V2 She swoops in and saves her. (I am referring to Lesson Zero)

Hmm...
I liked the idea.
I liked how it started out.
I did not like the ending.
It was... too rushed. You spend most of the story talking about Luna's past and how she wants love. That was well done, to be sure.
But then you basically have Celestia come in, try to make things up, and after just a few lines of mildly emotional dialogue they make up.
I feel that Luna just immediately accepting Celestia's apology was a poor choice. Maybe more of a hesitant build up sort of thing would have felt more natural to me.
But again, that's just me.
I found this and read this only because I noticed your blog post saying this story needed some attention.
And oh, do I know that feel...
Anyway, that's about all I have to say. I give it a like.

3265767 Fair enough I did write it as a one shot and it was more meant to fill that gap of how the two sisters relationship was never even addressed post first episode (first two episodes if you want to get technical)

3266167
True. Very true.
And sorry if I came off a bit over critical. I get like that sometimes.

3266608 It's alright no harm done XD

Beautiful, just beautiful! :heart:

Login or register to comment