• Published 26th Sep 2013
  • 6,755 Views, 58 Comments

The Stolen Date - Titanium Dragon



Fluttershy has a blind date. Rainbow Dash does not approve, so takes it on herself to take the date for herself, showing up posing as her date to prevent her from going out with "some creep". But there was more to the date than she thought.

  • ...
8
 58
 6,755

The Date

Rainbow Dash carefully folded her wings back against her saddlebags as she landed on the far side of the bridge leading up to Fluttershy's cottage, setting down the bouquet of flowers against the wood as she thought.

Perfect. No sign of anypony else, got the food, got the flowers. Now, how to do this? Rainbow Dash turned her head to look back down the road nervously before her gaze returned to the bouquet. Just walk up to the front door and be like, 'Hey Fluttershy! Funny story, Rarity set us up on a date! Crazy or what?' Bleh, that sounds lame.

Rainbow Dash frowned, recalling Applejack's words. I don't want to lead her on, but maybe I can just act normal, and she'll get the idea that I'm here to hang out. She nodded her head. Yeah, that's better than saying, 'Yeah, Rarity set us up but I don't actually like you at all.' Show her I'm her friend, even if I don't want to be her girlfriend.

Right, let's do this. Rainbow Dash bent down to grab the bouquet in her mouth, lifting it up and crossing the bridge unsteadily, the huge bundle of flowers nearly blinding her as she made her way up the path to Fluttershy's front door. Sitting back on her haunches, she lifted her hoof to knock on the front door.

"Coming~" came Fluttershy's sweet voice from inside the cottage, the mare's words' lilting tone making Rainbow Dash's heart sink in her chest. She sounds so happy. She turned her head to scan the road again nervously, but it remained as empty as ever.

The sound of the door opening made the blue pegasus turn her head back towards the door, but the massive bouquet of yellow flowers completely covered her face, hiding her friend from view. "Oh my! Are those for me? I'm sorry, I must have lost track of the time, I thought you weren't going to be here for another hour." Rainbow Dash could feel her friend lean in, Fluttershy's snout brushing against her own as the yellow pegasus gently grasped the bouquet in her mouth. Rainbow Dash let go of the bouquet, letting Fluttershy pull it awkwardly inside the front door, flowers brushing against the doorframe before she turned away from the door, walking over to set the large bouquet of yellow flowers into a vase on her table. Fluttershy certainly looked ready for her date - her mane and tail were completely brushed out and her yellow coat immaculate.

"Oh, these flowers are beautiful! And acacias!" The pegasus breathed in deeply, inhaling the scent of the flowers which matched her coat in color. "Oh, this is very sweet of you. Did Rarity—" Fluttershy cut herself off as she turned back towards the door, getting a proper look at the mare who brought her the flowers. "Rainbow Dash! What are you doing here?"

The pegasus in question shifted her weight. "Uh, surprise?" Her friend glanced from the flowers, then back to the mare haunting her doorstep.

"Why did you bring these? Rarity told me that my date would be..." Fluttershy gasped. "You aren't!"

"Uh, I kind of am." Rainbow Dash rubbed at her mane awkwardly in a hoof.

"But you were so angry this afternoon!"

"I didn't know this afternoon, okay?"

"You didn't know? But Rarity has been... ooh!" She lifted a hoof to her mouth. "She didn't tell you?"

"Nope."

"Oh, no wonder you were so jealous!" Fluttershy rushed over to her friend, throwing her hooves around the startled pegasus's shoulders. "I'm sorry!"

"It's alright," Rainbow Dash replied, pulling her wings back in. "I—" She cut herself off when her friend gave her a slight shove before sitting back on her haunches, crossing her front legs across her chest.

"But that is no excuse for how you behaved!" Rainbow Dash blinked at the sudden firmness in Fluttershy's voice. "You should know better than anyone that I'm not some helpless filly! I can make my own decisions about what ponies I see, thank you very much." The pegasus at the door shifted uncomfortably as Fluttershy turned her head away.

"Er, does that mean you don't want to have dinner with me then?"

Fluttershy cracked an eye open, looking back at her friend. "That depends. Do you know what you did wrong?"

Rainbow Dash pawed at the ground with her hoof. "I was a jerk?"

Fluttershy smiled a little, taking a step forward to put a hoof on her friend's shoulder. "You didn't trust me. I don't want someone who is trying to protect me all the time; I want someone who believes in me." She leaned forward to look into Rainbow Dash's eyes. "I liked it when you believed in me when we were trying to raise the rain to Cloudsdale. That was nice."

Rainbow Dash's eyes dropped in guilt. "You're right. I know you're tougher than you look, I just forget sometimes." She lifted her head slightly at a nuzzle from Fluttershy.

"I know you do. But I'm not the little filly who was scared of her own shadow anymore. I've become a lot more brave, and I would like for my friends to see that and treat me with respect."

"Heh, well, you did manage to make Discord get in line."

Fluttershy smiled. "Oh, I didn't make him get in line. I just showed him kindness, and made him want to."

"Same difference," Rainbow Dash said offhandedly, earning a giggle from her friend. "You know, you never would have stood up to me like this two years ago."

"I know. Isn't it great?" Fluttershy puffed out her chest proudly, making Rainbow Dash chuckle.

"You're alright, Fluttershy," she replied, clapping her friend on the shoulder with a hoof.

"So, are you willing to be coach Rainbow Dash, and not 'Fluttershy needs to be saved' Rainbow Dash?"

Great, all I have to do is tell Fluttershy I don't believe in her and I can get out of this date. No problem. "Yeah," she said, rubbing her mane with her hoof.

"Good!" Fluttershy beamed at Rainbow Dash, her voice soft but proud. "Rarity said it was important to be open with my feelings."

"Yeah, you're doing great," Rainbow Dash said, her voice flat.

Fluttershy tilted her head slightly at her friend. "You don't sound like you really mean that."

Ponyfeathers. "No, I do! I'm sorry, just a bit off today."

"Oh, it's alright. I understand. It must be hard for you too; I've never seen you go on a date before. Not that I'm saying you couldn't! I'm sure you could date anypony you wanted, really!" Fluttershy stepped towards the front door, then hesitated as her friend continued to stand there. It took Rainbow Dash several seconds to realize why - she was in the way.

"Yeah, I don't really date," the pegasus said as she took a step back, moving out of the way to let Fluttershy out.

"Oh, but you must have been so happy when Rarity told you." Fluttershy turned back towards her cottage, leaning down to speak to Angel as he hopped to the front door as if to follow. "Now, now, Angel, I'm going to eat with Rainbow Dash. Can you be a good little bunny and make sure that everyone is okay while I'm gone?" The rabbit glared at Rainbow Dash, who peered back at the rabbit before lighting up.

"Hang on a sec, Applejack packed something for you." Turning her head, Rainbow Dash nosed into her pack, only to pull out a ruby red apple, setting it down in front of the rabbit, who looked at the offering in disgust. "I guess not?"

"Oh, Angel, she's just trying to be nice to you." The rabbit put his hands on his hips, tapping his foot. "Maybe you should take it? I'm sure it's a very good apple."

The rabbit hesitated before grabbing the apple reluctantly, then slamming the door shut behind the ponies. "He doesn't like being treated like a pet," Fluttershy admitted, drawing a roll of the eyes from Rainbow Dash.

"You still letting him push you around?"

"Oh no, he has been much better behaved since I went to Iron Will's seminar. I feel kind of guilty about that; he wasn't very helpful, but I think I really did change for the best once it was all done."

Rainbow Dash shook her head. "Nah, that guy was a jerk." The pair began to make their way down the road, Rainbow Dash looking straight ahead, avoiding looking at her friend as they walked side by side, a shoulder's width apart.

"You know, your feathers are looking very nice today," Fluttershy said, letting her mane drift in front of her left eye as she smiled over at her date.

"Huh? I didn't do anything special with them." Rainbow Dash spread her wings, flexing them for a moment before returning them to her sides.

"And your mane always looks very nice, and so unique. I bet even Princess Celestia is jealous."

The colorful pegasus laughed, tossing her head to flick her mane. "Heh. You say that now. I remember back in flight school, they always used to say I fell in the weather factory. Or that I dyed it."

Fluttershy giggled as she moved to step in front of Rainbow Dash, steering her date onto the road leading towards the river on the edge of town. "They were just jealous because you were pretty without even trying."

Rainbow Dash blinked at the compliment, before looking over at her friend, noticing the look she was being given for the first time. "Are you flirting with me?"

"Um... yes. Sorry, I guess I'm not very good at it."

Rainbow Dash shook her head. "Nah. I mean, yes. They're nice compliments and all, it's just... I dunno, it feels wrong, you know?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you," Fluttershy said demurely, making her friend shake her head again.

"Oh, I'm not upset. I like being complimented as much as anypony. It's just... not me." Plus it's kind of weird.

"Maybe I should talk about something else then? Like how much I like watching you fly? You're very good at it, you know." Fluttershy's earnest words earned a bark of laughter from Rainbow Dash.

"Oh man. You're cracking me up, Fluttershy." Silence answered her words, and when she glanced over at her companion, Fluttershy's head had dipped down towards the ground, her mane nearly dragging on the road. Oh man. "Look, Fluttershy..."

"No, it's alright," she sniffed. "I should just be quiet."

Rainbow Dash bit her lip; she could already hear Applejack scolding her in her head. “Now why did you have to go and say that, Rainbow?”

The pegasus shook her head to dismiss the voice. "I'm no expert on this,” Rainbow Dash said slowly, “but if you're trying to flirt with somepony, it has to feel natural. Just trying to flatter them is weird. It's like Scootaloo is dating me or something." Fluttershy's head dipped lower at her friend’s words. "Not that I'm saying you're like a foal! Just... ugh. I'm not good at this."

"Well that makes two of us," Fluttershy said quietly.

Rainbow Dash sighed. "You've seen Rarity flirt with guys, right?"

"Yes."

"Well... that doesn't really work most of the time. I mean, you saw her flirting with Prince Blueblood, and we all know how that turned out."

Fluttershy laughed quietly. "I think she still hates him."

Rainbow Dash grinned at her friend, glad to see her smiling again. "Yeah. I heard she had Twilight teach her how to start a fire with her horn, just so she could burn a picture of him."

"Really?"

"Yeah, Twilight was talking about it one day when I asked her if Spike had set her desk on fire."

"Oh dear," Fluttershy giggled.

"Yeah. I dunno, maybe it's like her with Prince Blueblood; you're trying too hard."

"Mmm. Maybe you should show me how it is done then."

"Me?"

Fluttershy smiled over at her friend, drooping her eyelids, giving her fellow pegasus a coy look that made Rainbow Dash shift away. She opened her mouth a couple times, searching for words, but they died on her lips every time, finally ending in a nervous laugh.

"Okay, this is way hard. Everything I can think of is lame." Or awkward.

"That's okay. I sounded pretty silly too."

"No, I mean really, I can't think of anything that isn't totally sappy."

"Oh, Rainbow, I don't mind."

Great. Now what? Rainbow Dash looked over at her companion, the pretty pony smiling when she met her gaze, before she let her eyes slip away. She's cute, but that's just lame. Nice mane? She already said that. She has pretty eyes, but that's as bad as the rest of it. Her eyes trailed further down her friend's body. I guess she does have nice legs, but that'd just be kind of creepy to say. Fluttershy blushed, her pace quickening slightly, her gait changing. What's she doing now? Is she... uh, wow.

"Fluttershy, stop."

"Stop what?" Fluttershy smiled, glancing back over her shoulder as she tried to strut in a crude imitation of Rarity.

"That. It's just..." Creepy. "Weird."

Fluttershy stopped in the road, allowing Rainbow Dash to step up alongside her once more. "What do you mean?"

"It's not you."

Fluttershy's eyes fell to the ground. "I know. I was just trying to show off a little."

"Look, Fluttershy, I was trying to tell you earlier... we're friends, right?"

Fluttershy looked up and nodded. "Right."

"And well... I mean, isn't this a little weird?" Fluttershy bit her lip as Rainbow Dash continued to speak. "I mean, it's kind of awkward."

"I'm sorry. I just..." Fluttershy's voice trailed off into incomprehensible squeaking.

"Just... act natural. Don't make things weird." Rainbow Dash's scarlet eyes drifted away from her friend, only to snap back when she spoke.

"I'm sorry." Fluttershy was lying down now, her legs bent, mane and tail touching the road, her voice small.

"Gah! Don't be sorry!" Rainbow Dash saw her friend flinch and sighed, stepping over alongside her, putting a hoof across her back, the prone pegasus shifting uncomfortably at the contact. "Look, don't try to be Rarity. Be yourself."

Fluttershy murmured something from underneath her friend's wing, her voice incomprehensible.

"What was that?"

"Nothing," Fluttershy squeaked, earning a nudge from her companion.

"It wasn't nothing, you said something. What was it?"

Fluttershy sighed before speaking in a soft, mournful voice. "I said she would know what she was doing." Rainbow Dash snickered.

"Really? From the one date she's been on?"

"Rarity has been on more than one date!" Fluttershy said loyally.

"Oh really? With who?"

"Uhm..." Fluttershy paused, then sighed. "I guess you're right. She just seems so experienced."

"Well, duh." Rainbow Dash squeezed her foreleg against her friend's back. "That's because she's Rarity. If she was here, she'd be all, 'Darling, you must tell me where you got your mane done,' and if I didn't care, she'd act like I did anyway." Fluttershy giggled quietly. "See? She doesn't know any better than you do. So lighten up."

"But, it's a date."

Rainbow Dash waved her hoof. "What, if it's a date, you have to act weird to impress me?"

Fluttershy turned her head away.

"Relax. It doesn't have to be anything special."

The shy pegasus bit her lip.

"What's wrong?"

"I want it to be something special," she said in a small voice, making Rainbow Dash close her eyes and sigh before opening them.

"Alright, you wanted me to say something nice to you? I dunno if it is really flirting, but, you want to know what the best thing about you is?" Fluttershy turned back towards her date and gave a slight nod of her head. "When it's really important, you come through for us. Discord, that dragon, the tornado - hay, even modeling for Rarity and cheering for me at the Best Young Flier Competition. When it really matters, you've never let us down, not even once. That's pretty awesome in my book." Rainbow Dash, distracted by her gesturing, was surprised when she felt Fluttershy lean up against her, a soft touch whose warmth lingered against her cheek even as Fluttershy leaned back and stood up, smiling tenderly.

"Thank you, that was very sweet."

Did she just kiss me? The stunned mare's blue cheeks took on a rosy hue; it took her several seconds to realize Fluttershy had begun walking again and that she should follow. "Where are we going anyway?"

"Oh, I thought it would be nice to eat by the waterfall. It has a wonderful view."

Rainbow Dash looked up towards the promontory in question. "Wouldn't it be faster to just fly up there?"

"Uhm, yes, but that would give us less time to talk."

That's the idea. "Well, it's not like I'm in any rush to go home after this, but I am pretty hungry."

"Well, alright, if you want." Fluttershy sounded reluctant as she looked down at the ground, making her friend shake her head.

"Come on, let's get up there. I'm not just going to eat and ditch you."

Fluttershy sighed before spreading her wings and taking to the skies, Rainbow Dash quickly following, zipping ahead before slowing to fall into place beside her friend. Sorry Fluttershy, but the longer we walk like this, the more disappointed you're going to be. In the air, it didn't take the pair more than a couple minutes to make their way up to the top of the cliff, Rainbow Dash landing first and reaching back into her saddlebag to pull out a large checkered blanket, shaking her head to unfold it before tossing it out over the grass. "That look good?"

"Oh yes, thank you," Fluttershy said as she stepped out onto the blanket, using her hooves to smooth out the wrinkles before smiling back at Rainbow Dash. "Want help with the food?"

"Sure, why not?" Rainbow Dash said without thinking, and moments later Fluttershy was reaching around her to loosen the straps on the saddlebag, reaching around Rainbow Dash's chest to do so, giving her a light nuzzle on the back before she grasped the bags in her mouth and laid them out on the blanket. Nosing open the flaps, she began to tug the food out onto the blanket, various pastries along with a few more obviously apple-based dishes, and finally the pie that Applejack had insisted that Rainbow Dash take, without any sort of implement to cut it with.

What does Applejack think I am, a unicorn? Ugh, she probably just forgot. Rainbow Dash shook herself. And what is with Fluttershy being all touchy-feely? When she looked over at her friend, the pretty mare smiled at her before gesturing with her wing for her to lie down next to her. This is going to be awkward. Good plan, Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash fluttered over next to her friend before setting down on the blanket, her hooves slightly shifting the food spread out in front of the pair as she settled down, keeping a several hoof-span distance between herself and Fluttershy, who looked disappointed at her choice, before smiling again. "This looks very good. And it smells good too! It was very nice of Applejack to make this for us."

"Yeah, she's a great cook," Rainbow Dash said noncommittally, earning another quiet sigh from her friend before Fluttershy looked to the pack again, nosing inside before squeaking in surprise, pulling out a glass bottle filled with a golden liquid.

"Cider?" Rainbow Dash's ears perked up. "I didn't see her put that in."

"I guess she did." Fluttershy's voice was soft as she grasped one of the bottles around its neck with her mouth, gently setting it down in front of her friend before grasping the other herself, carefully removing the cap with the edge of her hoof before taking a sip. "And it's still cold!"

Rainbow Dash was drooling at the prospect of off-season cider, and rather quickly started draining her own bottle before noticing the look Fluttershy was giving her. "Er, sorry." She said as she set it back down, the precious golden liquid already half gone, earning a giggle.

"It's alright. I just thought you might want to save some for when we eat."

"Right! So, uhm, what do you want? She gave us a lot of food."

"Well..." Fluttershy leaned down, taking one of the sugar-frosted fritters in her mouth, before resting it against her hoof as she took a delicate bite from the side. "This is wonderful!"

Rainbow Dash grinned. "Yeah, they're pretty good," she said, taking one of the pastries in hoof herself and starting to eat. Silence began to stretch between the pair as Rainbow Dash concentrated on eating rather than talking; each time Fluttershy spoke, her response was to take another big bite, chewing for long enough to let the attempt at conversation drift off into silence. Running out of pastries, Rainbow Dash looked at the pie for a moment before pushing it over towards Fluttershy.

"Oh my goodness! She didn't pack any knives?"

"Nope, nothing. It's alright, you can have it."

"Oh, I couldn't. It's far too much for me to eat by myself. We should share it."

"Sure. But you can have first crack at it. It'd be kind of cramped to eat at the same time."

"I don't mind. It's not as if we haven't bumped noses before."

Rainbow Dash's ears fell back against her head at the mention of that incident. "Look, Fluttershy, I really didn't mean it like that."

"I know. But it was very sweet of you anyway." Fluttershy smiled, reaching over with one of her hooves to put it atop Rainbow Dash's own, making her flinch slightly. "I was really scared and wasn't sure you were really you until you did that."

"Yeah, but it was..."

"I understand." Fluttershy tilted her head slightly, letting her mane slide in front of her eye as she slid herself over on the blanket closer to her friend. "But you know, it was very sweet."

"Thanks." Rainbow Dash shifted uncomfortably, trying to subtly slide away from her friend, but Fluttershy was having none of it; she soon found herself with her friend nestled against her side.

She smells nice. Rainbow Dash blushed at the unbidden thought, even as Fluttershy snuggled in closer, soft fur brushing against her flank. We've done this a hundred times before. Why is this weird? Her question was soon answered as Fluttershy rubbed her cheek against her friend's neck. "Look, Fluttershy..." she began uncomfortably.

"Yes?" her friend said with wide-eyed innocence, making Rainbow Dash bite her lip.

No, I have to say it. "Fluttershy, you're a really good friend, but this really isn't going to work." She could feel her friend stilling against her side, the pretty pegasus allowing her pink mane to fall down over her eyes as she lowered her head. "I'm sorry. I just don't want to..."

"You know, I'm scared too?"

Rainbow Dash looked over at Fluttershy, her friend's face still hidden by her mane, concealing her expression. "Scared of what?"

"Scared of liking you."

"Scared? I'm not scared."

Fluttershy sighed. "I'm sorry, but... I know you are."

"What?"

"Rarity told me."

Rainbow Dash looked at her friend in confusion. "Told you what?"

"Oh Rainbow, you don't need to lie to me. I know everything." Fluttershy pushed her shoulder against her friend's side, her wing extending over her friend's back in a comforting gesture.

"You do?" Rainbow Dash shifted uncomfortably as the yellow wing slid over her back - while the pair had definitely hugged like this before, in this setting, it was making her feel awkward. "How?"

"Rarity told me," Fluttershy repeated gently, making her friend's eyes widen.

"Rarity knows?" Rainbow Dash's voice was small, embarrassed. How did Rarity find out I was going to crash Fluttershy's date? Did Rose tell her?

"Of course she knows. I know you two don't always see eye to eye, but she is a very smart pony."

"Wait, she knew, and she just went along with it?" Rainbow Dash's ears fell back against her neck.

"She didn't want to embarrass you. She didn't even tell me until a few days ago."

"Back up. A few days ago?" Rainbow Dash's agitation was growing as she shifted beneath Fluttershy's wing.

"Yes. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go on this date, but she told me that you had a crush on me and had for months, but were too shy to ask me out yourself." It was now Rainbow Dash's turn to freeze beneath Fluttershy's wing.

"What?" Her voice rose an octave in shock as Fluttershy lifted her head to look her in the eye, sympathy showing on her face.

"I'm sorry. I know it was supposed to be a secret, but Rarity was right. I never would have said yes if I didn't know that you were just as scared about it as I was."

"Rarity told you I have a crush on you?"

"She was very discreet; she didn't tell me who you were. Just that you were too shy to ask me out. I know what that's like, being too shy to tell someone how you feel." Rainbow Dash felt a stab of guilt in her chest. "I had a crush on you back in flight school, you know, but I never told you because I thought you'd hate me."

"Fluttershy, I'd never hate you. I've told you that before."

The yellow pegasus smiled sadly. "I know that now, but I was scared back then. You were already friends with Gilda, and you know how much she hates me."

"Wait, back up. Gilda doesn't hate you."

Fluttershy sighed. "Of course she hates me. Or at least, she really doesn't like me. She was never nice to me. She was a bully." Rainbow Dash shifted uncomfortably.

"She just doesn't like hanging out with you because you're 'lame'. She's totally wrong, but that's how it is."

Fluttershy shook her head. "Rainbow, she always scared me, and tried to chase me away from you. She almost did."

"I never realized..."

"I know." Fluttershy's wing squeezed against her friend's back. "And I forgive you. But I was really afraid if I talked to you about it, you would never speak to me again. I didn't even know if you liked mares."

"Fluttershy, I didn't even know if I liked mares until a few years ago."

"I know, your crush on Spitfire."

"Hey! Those posters were for inspiration!" Fluttershy gave another quiet giggle at her friend's denial, making her friend's face redden. "What? They were!"

"Mmhmm. I know." Fluttershy rubbed her cheek against her friend's neck comfortingly, but the intimacy of the touch made Rainbow Dash recoil slightly.

No, this isn't right. "Fluttershy, Rarity was wrong. I-"

"She told me you would say that, too." Rainbow Dash's mouth worked as her friend's soft voice carried on. "I know you're scared, but I promise, I don't hate you for liking me. I have to admit, even though I was pretty sure it wasn't you, I kind of hoped that it might be."

"You wanted me to like you? But you just said got over that crush years ago!"

Fluttershy sighed. "I did. But I always admired you. You're so brave and strong and assertive and all the things I'm not. I always knew you had a hard time showing your feelings, though, when they didn't make you feel strong. I know what it is like to like someone and not be able to say it, because you know that they'll never like you back." The yellow pegasus snuggled up against her blue friend. "I wanted to make sure that whoever it was, they didn't have to hide anymore. And it was you!" She looked up into her friend's face, tears starting to form in her eyes, sliding one hoof over her friend's shoulder as she pulled her into an embrace.

This isn't happening. Rainbow Dash's pulse was racing as her best friend in the world pressed herself up against her, warmth from the delicate pegasus's body seeping into her flesh.

"I like you. I know you don't like talking about your feelings, but you don't have to be scared anymore." The crying pegasus buried her face against her friend's neck, her tears seeping into her fur.

This is NOT happening. My best friend did not just confess that she lo-likes me, and that the only reason she is on this date is because whoever she was SUPPOSED to go on the date with likes her but is too shy to admit it. So now not only did I ruin some shy mare's date with Fluttershy, probably making her think that Fluttershy hates her and avoided her on purpose, but...

"No." Rainbow Dash said it out loud, the pegasus crying into her neck lifting her head to look at her, blinking.

"What?"

"No. Fluttershy, Rarity was wrong. I don't like you. I don't have a crush on you." Rainbow Dash tried to pull away from her friend, but was trapped in her embrace, her wings pressed up against Fluttershy's. "That's not me." Her breathing was growing increasingly rapid, a note of desperation in her voice.

"Rainbow, even if Rarity hadn't told me, you did. Don't you think I know what flowers mean?"

"Rarity told me to get those flowers! That wasn't me!"

"Stop lying!" Fluttershy's voice came out in a sob. "I saw the yellow roses in there. Did Rarity tell you to buy those, too? Did Rose?"

"No, but..."

"Rainbow, I know what those mean. And if you bought me yellow roses, that means YOU know what they mean too."

"Yes, they mean I'm sorry!"

"And what do the acacias mean?"

Rainbow Dash's mind raced in panic, as she thought back on what Rarity said, her world crumbling around her, her belly feeling hollow despite the food inside. "They... Rarity said they meant love."

"Secret love." Fluttershy's hooves squeezed desperately around Rainbow Dash's shoulders. "Are you telling me you got me flowers that said you have a crush on me, and that you were sorry, on accident?"

"No!"

"Then why are you saying you don't like me?" Tears were flowing freely down the her cheeks; Rainbow Dash could feel her own eyes threatening to do the same as her chest heaved.

"I'm sorry, okay?" Rainbow Dash shuddered. "I messed up," she said in a smaller voice, tears starting to fill her own eyes before she blinked them away. "I messed up. I never should have done this."

"Don't say that!" Fluttershy rubbed her snout against Rainbow Dash's jaw.

"It's the truth! I—" She was cut off by a yellow hoof pressing itself to her lips.

"I knew I might get hurt." Fluttershy pressed herself in tight against her blue companion. "But Rarity told me, if I don't ever try, then I'm just hurting myself. And she's right."

Rainbow Dash fell back on her rump, her hooves coming up automatically to steady herself against her friend. Every instinct in her was crying out to comfort her friend, to throw a hoof over her shoulders and let her tell her what the problem was... but the problem was her. Feeling Fluttershy press her head up against her throat, Rainbow Dash sighed and spread her wings, mantling around her friend comfortingly as her hooves moved to pat her on the back.

"Fluttershy, Rarity wasn't talking about me."

"What?" the stricken mare lifted her face, her cheeks streaked with tears.

"I lied. About everything. Rarity told me about the date, and I went and bought all the flowers and got the food from Applejack so whoever it was you were supposed to go on the date with couldn't get them, and then showed up early to make sure she didn't get there first anyway." Fluttershy's mouth fell open.

"I don't have a crush on you. I never did. Everything Rarity said was about some other mare. I was just trying to make sure you didn't get hurt. Great job, huh?" Rainbow Dash could feel her friend shaking against her as the sobbing began anew, Fluttershy's mouth working as her eyes shone with hurt.

"You... then... everything... why...?"

"Because I'm a jerk. I didn't trust you, and now some shy girl who I don't even know is probably crying her eyes out because you aren't at your cottage, and it's all my fault."

The expression on Fluttershy's face grew increasingly horrified by the word. "I trusted you!" she said, her voice rising in volume, quivering with emotion; Rainbow Dash only bowed her head in response, then toppled over onto her side when Fluttershy pushed her away. The surprised pegasus looked up in shock, only to see her friend galloping away.

"Fluttershy, wait!" she shouted, flying after her friend, who only redoubled her pace, tears raining down on the grass as she fled. After a few seconds of this, Rainbow Dash simply swooped ahead of her, landing in her path. "Stop!"

Fluttershy did stop, but only to lift her head to glare at her friend. "Go away!" she shouted, her voice thick with sorrow and anger, making Rainbow Dash take a startled step back, the yellow pegasus rushing by her once more, running for the road. Rainbow Dash's wings fell, her head falling close to the ground as she sat down morosely.

Now what do I do?