• Published 16th Sep 2013
  • 2,321 Views, 98 Comments

Straight Answers - Rebonack



Rainbow Dash presses Pinkie about how she accomplishes her crazy antics. Pinkie tells her.

  • ...
6
 98
 2,321

Wherein Rainbow Dash Makes a Pinkie Promise

“Pinkie? How did you you get in here?” Rainbow asked incredulously.

Rainbow Dash loved her friends. She loved them dearly, though she wasn't always very upfront about it. That wasn't her style. Getting all emotional was Rarity's thing. Dash played it cool. She loved her friends, even when they acted a little weird. Or a lot weird, like Pinkie.

Pinkie did that a lot. All the time, really. That was Pinkie's thing. Making other ponies smile and being, well, Pinkie. But Pinkie was being extra-Pinkie the last few days and it was starting to unsettle Dash. Though, she wouldn't ever admit that.

The morning had started out normally enough. Rumor had it around Ponyville that Dash was lazy due to her frequent day time naps. But what did those ponies know about being the head of the weather team? Her day typically started before Celestia's sun was even in the sky. Breakfast, warm ups, morning exercises, all of those came before she even began her official weather work.

Her routine had gone more or less as usual. Dash was getting ready to brush her teeth when she caught a pink blur of motion out of the corner of her eye. Slowly, she lifted her head only to meet a pair of wide, blue eyes and an absurd grin peering back at her through the mirror.

She didn't scream, though.

That totally wasn't a scream. That was an ancient pegasus war-cry.

They're totally different things.

While Dash was sure that fearsome shout might have terrified a hardened griffin warrior, it didn't do a thing to prevent Pinkie from shoving a cupcake into her open mouth. Dash had sputtered on the cupcake and settled on swallowing the thing right after she managed to get her heart out of her throat. That certainly beat choking to death on a pastry. Definitely not a cool way to die.

Rainbow Dash was pretty sure Pinkie had somehow climbed out of her mirror, but by the time she had turned her attention back to her friend Pinkie was standing there on the floor bouncing cheerfully on her hooves as if nothing odd had happened.

Pinkie always acted like that after she did something impossible.

Which had lead to Rainbow's earlier question.

“Oh, I just though it would be fun to bring the fastest flier in all of Equestria a breakfast cupcake today!” the party pony replied brightly.

Rainbow wiped the frosting away from her mouth with a hoof. Getting a cupcake shoved down her throat was rarely fun. Though, at least the party pony had the courtesy to wait for Rainbow to wake up this time before assaulting her with sweets. Pinkie Pie was being weird. That was pretty normal for Rainbow's hyper-active friend. But this morning was a little extra-weird.

Like that mirror thing. Rainbow hadn't ever seen the mirror trick herself before, but Twilight had told her about it. A few years back when Fluttershy was going through that modeling thing Twilight had blurted out Spike's obvious crush on Rarity. As soon as she had spoken Pinkie popped up inside a mirror and chastised her for it. Twilight had been scared out of her wits, but she tried to just pass it off as Pinkie being Pinkie.

“Pinkie, that didn't answer my question. I parked my house a mile and a half in the sky last night,” Rainbow replied. “You shouldn't even be able to stand on the clouds in here, let alone come crawling out of my mirror. Seriously Pinkie, how did you get up here?”

Pinkie pawed at the floor with a hoof. The very floor her hooves should be sinking into, sending the earth pony tumbling end over end through the empty sky and toward the uncaring ground below. Dash was briefly afraid that the mere act of acknowledging that Pinkie was being impossible again would break the spell. That had actually happened one time when Twilight pointed out the balloons Pinkie had tied to her tail couldn't possibly hold her aloft. As soon as Pinkie admitted it wouldn't work she fell flat on her face and scrunched up like an accordion. Rainbow wasn't sure how Pinkie pulled that off without breaking every bone in her body, but she was going to get to the bottom of it.

When Pinkie failed to plummet to her death, Dash let out a small breath she didn't realize she was holding. At least she wouldn't have to go diving after one of her friends in the pre-dawn hour. Not that she would mind. Saving her friends from certain death was pretty cool.

“Well, I really wanted to give you a cupcake, Dashie! And so I did!” Pinkie giggled. She still had a tray of cupcakes balanced on her back, no doubt for the rest of the girls.

“Nuh uh. Not this time,” Dash insisted. “You sneeze confetti. You have that party cannon around all the time even though it must weigh as much as three ponies put together. I've seen you swallow cakes bigger than you whole and they're just gone,” Dash recounted. “You hover into the lake like it's nothing. And I can't out-pace you no matter how hard I try or how fast I fly!”

That last one was eating at Dash the most. Just a few days earlier she had jokingly challenged Pinkie to a race out to Sweet Apple Acres. Dash hadn't really taken it that seriously since she was flying and Pinkie was on hoof, but to her surprise she found her spunky friend already at the farm helping AJ collect rotten apples by the time she arrived. Rainbow chalked it up to Pinkie's weirdness at first, but as the day went on the party pony's persistently impossible shenanigans just got more and more overt. When Pinkie started singing a song about rotten apples Rainbow swore that her peppy pink friend was in at least four places at once.

The sight had sent Applebloom galloping back into the farmhouse shrieking about the Mirror Pool and Pinkie clones.

When the chores were done Rainbow had challenged Pinkie to another race. A serious one. It was from Sweet Apple Acres back to Sugarcube Corner. And that time Rainbow didn't hold anything back. Full-on Rainboom speeds. She broke the sound-barrier like Scootaloo breaks Rainbow's ear-drums every time she tries to sing. And yet, when she touched down, there was Pinkie. The party pony was inside with a tray of apple muffins she had 'just baked' using the apples AJ had given them for helping out at the farm. Which was impossible unless Pinkie was traveling through time like Daring Doo in Daring Doo and the Temporal Prison.

When asked, Pinkie provided a non-answer like always. Rainbow had tried to talk to Twilight about it, but Twilight had sworn off attempting to figure out Pinkie ever since the Banana Bread Incident.

Nopony wanted a repeat of the Banana Bread Incident.

But what Rainbow wanted? Rainbow wanted to know how Pinkie was able to beat her in a race even at her best. There was no way Pinkie could possibly out-run her. So there had to be something else going on. And that would just be one more cool thing to know about one of her best friends, right? If they were ever in a relay race together they could totally smoke anypony else!

“Did you like the cupcake, Dashie?” Pinkie asked, her face all smiles as usual.

In spite of herself Dash laughed. “Yeah, Pinkie, I liked the cupcake. Are you bouncing around town force-feeding them to everypony again?”

“Nope! Just a special one for you today!” Pinkie replied.

“Well, what are the other cupcakes for?” Dash asked while confusion crept into her tone.

Pinkie quirked her head to the side. “What other cupcakes?”

Dash peered behind Pinkie again and discovered the tray to be empty. But... hadn't it been full the last time she looked? “The other cupcakes. The ones you had with you? I thought they were for everypony else.”

Pinkie grinned a huge grin. “Oooh, that's a good idea! I'll have to have remembered that when I stopped by!”

Rainbow Dash blinked. Then opened her mouth to ask a question. Then she closed her mouth again. She could feel her brain flailing furiously to keep above the rolling waves of crazy. She wasn't sure if she would make it.

“Pinkie... You still haven't answered me. Come on, I'm not dumb,” Rainbow protested. “How did you get up to my house? How do you do all this crazy stuff? I think it's cool, don't get me wrong. It's cool that you can climb out of mirrors and show up ahead of me no matter where I hide. It's cool that you can walk around in my house without spells and stuff. It's cool that you can build a flying machine in, like, ten seconds flat. But I really want to know how you run faster than I fly. Is it like... teleporting or something?”

Rainbow Dash's eyes suddenly went wide. “Wait! I've got it! Are you a secret alicorn, Pinkie?” the pegasus cast a sly grin at her friend. “Hiding your wings and horn or something? That's pretty slick. Come on, Pinkie. You can tell me.”

The party pony jittered back and forth on her hooves for a moment, obviously thinking about how to reply. Finally she settled on, “Sometimes I just need to do something silly to get the job done!”

Deflected again.

“Every time I ask, you always give some half-answer that doesn't tell me anything. I'm asking as your friend, Pinkie. Tell me the truth,” Rainbow pleaded. It was so uncool to beg. But at the same time this had been bugging Rainbow forever. Her best friend and pranking buddy had an awesome secret and she wanted to know what it was.

“You want the truth?” Pinkie asked. She sounded almost... defeated? Resigned or something? Dash wasn't quite sure what to make of it.

“I think I deserve the truth,” Dash said. She tried her hardest to seem as resolute as possible.

“I'm not sure if you can handle the truth, Dashie,” Pinkie continued. She was smiling, but it was a small, sad sort of smile. A distinctly un-Pinkie-like smile. It made Dash shiver, though she wasn't sure why. And suddenly she wasn't sure if this was such a good idea. “Isn't it better if it's just a silly thing that silly old Pinkie Pie does? I think that'll make everypony else happier. Sometimes the truth hurts, Dashie. Sometimes it's better not to know.”

“Pinkie...” Dash grumbled while more than a little irritation crept into her tone. Her doubt had evaporated the moment she started to feel like Pinkie was patronizing her. “Look, you're my friend, Pinkie. We've been through all sorts of crazy stuff together. We've saved the day plenty of times and we've seen all sorts of crazy things. Have you forgotten who I am?”

The pegasus puffed her chest out with pride. “I'm the Element of Loyalty! There's nothing you could tell me about yourself that would make me turn my back on you, Pinkie, nothing. We're friends forever. I promise. Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.”

As Dash carried out the well known motions of Pinkie's weird oath she couldn't help but notice that her friend's look of sadness deepened all the more. Hopefully, Pinkie wasn't going to suddenly go flat-maned and start talking to rocks again.

Pinkie gave a long sign. “Okay Dashie. If you really really really want to know.”

~~~~~

Spike was sound asleep, utterly comatose in his bed while Twilight poured over astrological charts and the newest issue of Scientific Mareica. There had been an amazing series of super-nova over the past few days so bright that the stars were actually visible during the day! The article that had caught Twilight's interest included some highly specific divination spells designed to be used in conjunction with a telescope to measure the thaumic radiation being released from the far distant, dead stars.

A single super-nova was a tremendously rare event, but four of them so close together? And within the same constellation, no less? The astrological community was in a complete tizzy over the omen, each fighting to get their own personal interpretation of the auspicious event held in the highest regard. Twilight had a few of her own ideas, but astrology was probably the sketchiest of the sciences so she didn't consider them as anything more than a few vague guesses. She had tried hunting down any relevant passages in Prophecies and Predictions but she couldn't find any references to four stars suddenly appearing during the day.

It was nice to finally focus on something meaningful rather than that nonsense Celestia had been keeping her 'busy' with for the last few weeks in Canterlot. She hadn't ever been able to get a straight answer out of her mentor regarding the purpose of the strange incantations and she was pretty sure the whole thing had been some kind of elaborate practical joke.

“Maybe I should talk to Rainbow Dash and Pinkie about getting the Princess back,” Twilight mused aloud. “They're a lot better at these 'prank wars' than I am. And since when has a collaboration between friends ever been a bad idea? I might even be able to write a friendship report about it!”

Twilight laughed to herself and levitated over a new inkwell. “But how would somepony even begin to prank the Princess?”

With a giggle the young alicorn dipped her quill into the ink well and was surprised to hear a loud, “Oowy!” from inside.

Twilight yelped in surprise and hurled the inkwell across the room. The little bottle bounced twice and started rolling, leaving a wobbling trail of black behind it. Then it shook, wiggled, and hopped upright as a single massive eye popped out of the too-small mouth of the bottle. A grotesquely enormous eye that began roving about the room until it settled on the shocked alicorn princess.

“Oh! There you are Twilight!” came a chipper voice from the tiny container. The voice was shortly followed by another eye, followed by a pony-shaped mass of ink hopping free. Pinkie abruptly slipped out of the ink, her pink coat immaculately clean, and allowed the whole mess of black fluid to go cascading back into the inkwell.

Somehow.

Twilight breathed a sigh of relief when she registered Pinkie's face and voice. Calm down, Twilight. It's not an evil ink monster. It's just Pinkie being Pinkie. She took another deep breath and extended one foreleg as she exhaled just to make sure she was settled.

“Hello Pinkie. What brings you by this morning?” Twilight asked, putting on her best friendly smile whilst stomping her hooves all over the blatant disregard for the laws of physics. Pinkie had been acting... extra Pinkie-like lately. Nothing she did was really different than usual, it was just more common and overt.

“Oh, not much! I just wanted to wish you a super happy good morning post welcome back to Ponyville from Canterlot greeting!” Pinkie laughed whilst balancing a cupcake on her nose. “And I wanted to give you a complimentary cupcake, too!”

Twilight scrunched her nose as Pinkie tossed the pastry toward her. Catching it in her field was simple enough. “Don't you mean complementary?”

“Nope! Bye Twilight! See you later!” Pinkie sing-songed as she bounced off through the door.

The alicorn princess looked down at the cupcake and discovered 'You're a smart pony!' written in frosting on the top. Twilight rolled her eyes and gave a good-natured laugh. A thought suddenly occurred to her, “Hey Pinkie, wait!”

“Yeah, Twilight?” Pinkie asked from behind the alicorn princess.

Honestly by now Pinkie doing the 'suddenly being somewhere else as soon as nopony is watching her' thing didn't even surprise Twilight anymore. It was almost as though Pinkie operated under some absurd form of Quantum Thaumatics. So long as she was unobserved her position and velocity where undefined and she could theoretically be anywhere. Of course, those laws only applied to mathematical points but since when did Pinkie care about how things were supposed to work? Twilight turned around to address her grinning friend.

“Why don't you get some cupcakes for everypony else since you're already up? I'm sure the girls would all enjoy them,” Twilight reasoned.

Pinkie gave an exaggerated gasp. “That is the best idea! Thanks Twilight! I'll make sure to have done that right already!”

“...what?”

Pinkie didn't answer Twilight's question, she was already busy zooming off out the door.

Twilight shrugged enjoyed her cupcake. It was a really great cupcake, her favorite flavor. However, she didn't enjoy the interruption that came a few minutes later.

It was a surprise when Rainbow Dash burst through the front door of Books and Branches library. Twilight was even more surprised by the fact that the normally unflappable pegasus was damp with sweat and shivering uncontrollably. However, what positively shocked Twilight were Rainbow's eyes. Eyes constricted to pinpricks, jittery and jerking and darting toward every shadowed corner as though expecting some lurking horror to be hiding in the darkness. The eyes of a pony who had been terrified out of her mind. Twilight had seen Rainbow Dash afraid before, but her friend had always hidden it well. In her years around Rainbow, Twilight had never seen her this obviously frightened.

It was so uncharacteristic that Twilight briefly wondered if Fluttershy had somehow gotten stuffed inside Pinkie's Rainbow Dash suit. Twilight had no idea why Pinkie kept a collection of suits that looked exactly like other ponies around Ponyville, but she had stopped trying to figure out the pink terror ever since the Banana Bread Incident.

Nopony wanted a repeat of the Banana Bread Incident.

“Rainbow, what happened?” Twilight asked as she took a few tentative steps closer to her friend. Rainbow flinched at the sound of her voice and Twilight was certain for a few seconds that the pegasus was going to bolt. “You look awful.”

“Twilight, we need to talk,” Dash said. She cast another furtive glance about the room and dropped her tone to just above a whisper. “We need to talk about Pinkie.”