• Published 16th Sep 2013
  • 959 Views, 13 Comments

Small and Stupid Things - bahatumay



On the eve of her 50th anniversary, Applejack reviews some of the small, stupid, inconsequential, yet supremely important things that helped her relationship with Rainbow Dash become what it is.

  • ...
4
 13
 959

Miniature Applejack Doll (Coco Pommel)

suggested by DbzOrDie


Applejack’s green eyes continued to roam until they came into contact with another set of green eyes. This second set, though, was a bit more lifeless. This was probably because they were green buttons and not real eyes, attached to an orange plush doll with yellow yarn for a mane.

Applejack picked up the small doll and couldn’t help but laugh again. This tiny doppelganger had apparently brought much comfort to Rainbow, and plenty of amusement to Applejack. She picked its tiny hat up and placed it back on its stuffed head as yet another memory surfaced.

* * *

Applejack literally pranced down the stairs and into the kitchen, humming happily to herself.

Granny Smith raised an eyebrow. “Somethin’s sure got you up and peppy this mornin’,” she observed. “You’re happier ‘n a crow in a field full of corn.”

“Ah know what it is!” interrupted Apple Bloom, spewing pancake crumbs across the table. “Rainbow Dash is comin’ home today!”

“Eeyup!” Applejack proclaimed, grabbing a pancake from the stack for herself and bathing it in syrup.

“Well, how about that?” Granny said, more excitedly. “That’s great! It’s been a month of Sundays since she’s been back.”

“Feels like longer,” Applejack said. “Ah’m just tickled pink.”

“When do you think she’ll get here?” Apple Bloom asked.

Applejack opened her mouth to answer, but a knock on the door interrupted her. “She’s here!” she shouted, abandoning her pancake and sprinting to the door.

Sure enough, there stood Rainbow Dash, dressed in a crisply pressed suit, surrounded by suitcases, and… carrying a Applejack doll in her saddlebag?

Understandably, Applejack paused. Rainbow didn’t, however, and wrapped her in a tight hug. “Applejack! It’s so great to see you!”

“Yeah,” Applejack said. “It’s been… forever…”

Rainbow pulled back, confusion on her face. “Are you ok? You don’t seem very happy to see me…”

“Oh, no, that ain’t it,” Applejack said. “It’s just…” She raised a hoof and pointed at her miniature doppelganger. “Ah can honestly say Ah’ve never seen that before.”

“Oh, right. Introductions.” Rainbow Dash pulled the plushie out of her bag, held it out, and cleared her throat. “AJ, this is Teeny AJ. Teeny AJ, this is AJ.”

Applejack raised an eyebrow so high it almost got lost in her mane. “Are you serious right now?”

Rainbow held out the doll. “Bump hooves, AJ,” she said in the tone of voice mothers use when encouraging foals to be friendly.

Applejack slowly raised a hoof and bumped the doll’s hoof. “Pleased t’ meetcha,” she said automatically.

Rainbow kept her grin up for only a few moments longer before she dropped it. “Yeah… It’s stupid, I know. I was going to get rid of her before I got here, but I couldn’t.”

“Why not?”

“Well…” Rainbow looked down and twisted a hoof against the ground. “It’s kindof lonely without you,” she mumbled. “And cold. It’s all kinds of cold without you. Especially in Manehattan. So I kindof found that Coco mare from last time and had her make Teeny AJ to cuddle with at night.”

Applejack considered this. “Ah think Ah’m touched,” she said. “And a mite creeped out.” She inspected her tiny double. “Though she did do a good job on the stitching,” she had to admit

“Yeah, I've never had to fix anything on her. Which is good, because I have no idea how to sew. And I tried to get rid of it, really, I did; I just… kindof really missed you, that’s all. Teeny AJ made it not so bad being away from you, and so it's kindof hard to try and throw her away after all she's done for me.”

Applejack pondered this for a few moments. Rainbow Dash averted her eyes, but she quickly straightened up when Applejack leaned over and bit her gently on the ear. Rainbow had always liked being bitten on the ear, and let out the tiniest of 'nyeh!' sounds.

“That’s really sweet,” Applejack said. “Ah ain’t even creeped out anymore.”

Rainbow brightened. “Great! Because…”

Her voice trailed off, but enough beans had been spilled to catch Applejack's attention. Applejack narrowed her eyes. “Because what?”

“Uh…” Rainbow’s eyes flicked from side to side, as if looking for an escape.

“Because what, Rainbow?” Applejack asked firmly.

“Well, because… let’s just say you’d probably better avoid Manehattan for a bit, unless you like getting your picture taken.”

“Why’s that?”

“Well…” Rainbow rubbed the back of her head nervously. “I may or may not have accidentally started a trend down there when I picked Teeny AJ up in my Wonderbolts outfit and little dolls of you may or may not be kindof popular down there right now and Coco's got little clothes for them and everything and-”

“You what?”

* * *

Applejack chuckled and put Teeny AJ down. Rainbow had cracked many a ménage a trois joke with Teeny AJ and Big AJ.

Of course, that had never happened. But it had been funny the first two times.

The fad of the dolls had been fairly short-lived, but widespread enough that when Applejack’s royalty bits had arrived, well; it had been quite the windfall for them. Coco Pommel had been so grateful for the exposure that she'd… yes, there it was.

Applejack cleared some space, and then rested Teeny AJ on top of Teeny Dashie. With a quick nudge of her hoof, she made Teeny Dashie roll over, making the two dolls look like they were cuddling.

Perfect.

She moved on, still looking over the gathered items and smiled as her eye caught another item, starting another memory.

Author's Note:

Short chapter is short...