• Published 16th Sep 2013
  • 4,282 Views, 65 Comments

Midnight Star - Nebula Star



Experimenting with magic can be dangerous, and when Twilight Sparkle accidentally pulls another pony's soul into herself, it nearly costs her everything she holds dear.

  • ...
3
 65
 4,282

Chapter 9: Last Stand

Midnight Star
By Nebula Star

Chapter 9: Last Stand
***

“SISTER!” Even as she screamed, Luna cast a spell knocking Twilight away from Celestia as she rushed forward through the hall. She'd arrived just in time. If she hadn't heard a commotion from the observation tower and come to investigate...

Her spell had been powerful, partially out of her desperation; and Twilight had been thrown all the way down the hall and into the throne room. But even as she watched Twilight began to pick herself up, apparently uninjured. Something was wrong though, her colors. It was as if a shadow had fallen over her. It reminded Luna of when... when she had had a darker coat. Had Twilight fallen as she had?

Luna had always been impressed with Twilight ever since she'd first met her as Nightmare Moon and then shortly after she'd been purified, back when Twilight had just been Celestia's student. She had shown such potential even then, and she'd understood immediately why Celestia had chosen to teach and guide the young Unicorn herself. Then in the few years since Twilight had proven herself time and again as being not only powerful, but pure-hearted as well.

Luna had had her doubts when Celestia had first told her of her plans to help Twilight become an Alicorn, and make her a Princess of Equestria. But then, during the Crystal Empire incident, she'd shown that she was willing to pay any price, make any sacrifice, even her own future, to protect others. After that Luna's doubts had been laid to rest and she'd agreed wholeheartedly to aid Celestia in her plans.

Now watching this shadowy version of Twilight stand, rolling her head to one side, madness dancing in her eyes; it seemed that that had been a mistake.

“If it isn't precious Luna,” the dark Twilight said, amusement thick in her voice.

Luna chanced a look back at Celestia. She was still laying on the floor but she had at least raised her head and was watching, breathing deeply. She didn't seem badly injured. But then Luna realized that something was missing. Nearly three quarters of Celestia's horn had been cut off. And without it... without it she wasn't much more than a pegasi, she'd stand no chance against another alicorn, or even a moderately talented unicorn.

“Tia! What is going on here? Why did Twilight attack you!?” Luna asked keeping on eye on Twilight though she seemed content to let them talk, standing there in the throne room watching them with a wicked grin.

“It's not her...” Celestia said, still breathing deeply.

“What?”

“She called herself Midnight Star.”

A different name... “Midnight star? … like Nightmare Moon?” Luna asked, the horrible memories of when she'd bore that name rising to the forefront of her mind.

Celestia shook her head. “I don't think so... Nightmare Moon, I could still sense you within her, as a part of her. I... I don't sense Twilight at all in her.”

Luna considered it a moment but decided it didn't matter. This Midnight Star, either as a corrupted version of Twilight or another being entirely, was a threat and her sister was in danger. Glancing past Celestia she saw Shining Armor suspended in the air by spears of black crystal as well as a dome of the same crystals that seemed to be imprisoning somepony else. And since Shining Armor was here...

Casting a quick spell she destroyed the crystals, both in the Prison as well as those suspending Shining Armor, catching him with a levitation spell to lower him gently to the ground. He collapsed in pain as soon as she released him from the injuries in his legs. She'd been right though, it was Cadence that had been under the crystal dome and as soon as Shining Armor collapsed she was by his side. “Shining!”

“Cadence!” Luna called. “Take Shining and Celestia with you and run! Go to Ponyville and find the Elements of Harmony!”

“Luna!” Celestia objected realizing what Luna planned.

“Tia, you're the only one who's ever used all the elements on her own before! Now go!

“But...!”

“TIA GO! You'll be no use here! I'll hold her off long enough for you to escape!”

An erruption of laughter made all eyes turn toward the Throne room once more. The pony Celestia had called Midnight Star had thrown her head back and was laughing as if she'd just heard the funniest joke ever told. “You! You think you can hold me?” She shook her head laughing. “You foal! Celestia didn't even last three seconds against me! And you think you could hold me long enough for them to escape!?”

Luna turned back toward her, horn glowing as two dark blue swords materialized to either side of her. She took a defensive stance, preparing to fight; ready to do whatever it would take to protect her sister. “Tia! Go, now!”

“No, you won't be going anywhere,” Midnight said. Beginning to laugh at the futility once more.

“You may have caught Celestia by surprise...”

Midnight's second explosion of laughter cut her off. “You have no idea, do you? No idea the power I possess!” She threw her head back again laughing once more and this time as she did the floor around her suddenly shattered, crack's spider-webbing across the throne room and up the walls. The stain glass windows along the throne room shattered as the room began to break apart, the pieces floating randomly, slowly twisting in the air. Even the piece of the floor on which Midnight stood was floating in the air as much of the castle was torn apart around her.

Luna stepped back nervously from this display of power.

“I didn't catch Celestia by surprise! I gave her plenty of time to prepare and defend herself!” Midnight shouted across the expanse of empty air that now separated her from Luna and the others. “You will fair no better princess of the night! We've fought before, you and I. I bested you easily, even when you had the powers of Nightmare Moon!” Her own sword materialized in the air next to her and she raised it in an aggressive stance. “No, nopony leaves here without my permission. Celestia has yet to pay for her crime of weakness and if you try to stop me then I will kill you as well!”

Raising her swords Luna prepared to fight, but if what she'd said was true; if this Midnight hadn't caught Celestia by surprise like she'd assumed, did she really stand a chance? Luna furrowed her brows in determination. She would, at the very least, try.

“As much as I like the change of décor, I'm afraid I can't allow that,” a new voice rang through the chaos the castle had become. A Voice Luna knew all too well.

“Discord!” Midnight said, still grinning. She looked unerringly at the remains of one of the stain glass windows. He was there, seemingly a part of the window that remained, but he didn't stay there for long. With a pop he vanished and reappeared next to Luna.

“I simply cannot allow you to hurt the Princesses,” Discord said stepping forward between them. “As order-loving as they may be, if they were to be killed it would most certainly upset my dear friend, Fluttershy. Besides, your particular brand of chaos isn't really my forte.”

Luna couldn't help but smile. She'd actually come to like Discord in the past year since Twilight and her friends had convinced him to use his powers for the good of Equestria. He could still get annoying at times, but now that he kept himself in check most of the time, Luna found the little pranks he pulled here and there rather amusing. And now here he was standing by her side, ready to protect her and her sister. True he had sworn to do so, but Luna didn't think that was why he was there.

With his help, however, they might stand a chance. At the very least they should be able to hold her long enough for Celestia and the others to escape.

“Celestia, Cadence! Go now, we'll hold her off!” Luna called over her shoulder to them. Celestia had finally picked herself up off the floor, though she seemed to be favoring her right foreleg.

“Luna, I'm not running away.”

“Tia don't argue!” Luna shouted taking a commanding tone with her older sister for probably the first time in her life. “You're no use here, but you may be the only one that could use the Elements! Now GO!”

Celestia, surprised to have Luna giving her an order reluctantly nodded seeing the wisdom in her words. Then with tears in her eyes she turned and limped away as quickly as she could. Cadence, levitating her husband, followed her.

Despite her threats earlier, Midnight didn't even try to stop them, she was too busy laughing to herself.

“So, what's the deal? When did little miss harmony join the chaos club? And why didn't I get an invite to the initiation?” Discord asked sounding truly offended about not being invited.

“Celestia said she called herself Midnight Star, I don't know much more than that,” Luna told him softly. “Whether or not she's really Twilight, I don't know and it doesn't matter; we have to at least hold her here and if possible, defeat her. Do you think your chaos magic is enough to cancel out hers?”

“Chaos doesn't cancel out chaos, my dear. You add chaos to chaos, you just get more chaos.” Discord joked.

“I mean can you fight her? We need to delay her as much as possible,” Luna growled not really in the mood just then for jokes.

“Sheesh, yes, alright. Don't get your tail in a twist. Celestia will have plenty of time to escape. I am quite proficient at wasting time.”

Luna snorted. “I hope so.”

“Now, what in Equestria do you find so amusing, red eyes? I do hate missing a joke.”

Midnight threw her head back laughing. “You have no idea the irony of this!”

“What Irony?” Luna asked more than willing to delay her further.

“That you, the very two that were responsible for the destruction of my world, now stand before me trying to stop me from destroying this one!” She laughed again cocking her head to one side. “But that's enough talking, you're only delaying the inevitable. I've defeated the two of you before, and I can do it again.” With that she raised her sword and Luna responded in kind. She didn't know if she stood a chance, but she wouldn't go down without a fight.

Author's Note:

Minor revisions as of 9/26/2014