• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 1,307 Views, 31 Comments

The Element of Laughter - Quixotic Mage



How does Pinkie do what she does? It all starts with the story of how Equestria was made.

  • ...
4
 31
 1,307

Payment Made

The Element of Laughter

Chapter 6: Payment Made

Zephyr had the oddest kitchen Diana had ever seen. Admittedly, Diana was not a kitchen expert; she had not made an extensive study of them nor perused vast tomes of kitchen lore. Nevertheless, she felt that even if she had Zephyr’s kitchen would still rank as a truly bizarre specimen of the breed.

It was a rectangular room situated in the first door off of the main hallway closest to the dining room. A long flat preparation area took up the center of the room. On it were numerous painted squares, each of which had runes engraved along the perimeter. As Diana leaned closer to get a better look a faint tingle in her horn informed her that they were magical in nature, though she couldn’t begin to guess their purpose.

On the opposite side of the preparation counter from the door a row of wooden boxes half again the height of a pony served as a wall. They too had magical runes but theirs were far more complex and gave a strong enough sense of magic as to be noticeable clear across the room. To their right were several windows opening onto the beautiful scene of night on the plains. They framed a door that possessed a shimmering gauze-like sheet that stretched its full length and seemed to sink directly into the floor. On the left wall was yet another wooden box; this one was a foot or two shorter than the average pony and red circles were painted along the top. Next to it was a sink with what appeared to be an empty pipe in place of a faucet. Finally, along the wall next to them were recognizable cabinets, though they too had black runes written across their face.

The whole kitchen fairly hummed with magical energy to the point where even the non-magical Watchwing could feel the energy in the air. At Zephyr’s urging they took seats at the counter, still gazing around inquisitively.

“Can we help you with the food somehow?” Diana asked, concerned about having their host cook after the healing she’d just performed.

Zephyr shook her head with a smile. “Trust me, teaching you how to manage the kitchen is more work than just doing it myself. I appreciate the offer though.”

“Pardon me but I’ve been wondering, how does any earth pony come to have a kitchen covered with magic?” Watchwing asked. Diana blinked in surprise. I hadn’t even thought of that. She mused

“The friend I live with is a unicorn. She’s absolutely obsessed with magic so pretty much everything in the house, other than the healing room, has some form of enchantment on it. The balls of light in the walls are one of the more convenient alterations but the kitchen’s not bad once you get used to it.” While Zephyr spoke she bustled around with the ease of long practice. She touched a rune here and there and noises started to emanate from the boxes so touched. After a few moments she nodded in satisfaction and sat down on the other side of the counter. “Well that’s that, now we just have to wait.”

Diana raised an eyebrow. “So what, the food just prepares itself?”

“Pretty much. The runes maintain the spells and also act as a control panel while the boxes each have a set of actions that, in combination with one another, can cook any meal they have the ingredients for and send it to the landing pads on the table here. Ostensibly we would then carry them out to the dining room but in all honesty that’s usually too much trouble so we end up eating here.” A sound similar to somepony jangling a metal triangle filled the room and Zephyr’s face lit up. “Soup’s on everypony! Keep your hooves and mouths clear of the painted regions ‘cause here comes dinner.”

A wave of nostalgia went through Diana at the familiar call to meal time but she didn’t let that distract her from making sure she was well away from where the food was apparently going to arrive. With a tinkling sound a full soup, salad, entre combination appeared in the center while plates and silverware appeared in front of each of the three ponies. They dug in with a will and for a moment the only sounds were the clink of silverware.

When they had dulled the sharp edge of hunger Zephyr spoke up. “While we’re finishing up could you explain whatever occurred to you earlier that might have been the cause of the strange healing? It was really strange.”

I feel like I shouldn’t tell her everything but honestly, I can’t think of any reason to dissemble. After all, she’s already aware that we’re wanted by the guards and she healed me anyway. Might as well tell her, Diana thought.

Out loud she said, “As long as Watchwing doesn’t mind I think we can tell you the whole story.” Watchwing raised no objections so Diana recounted everything that had happened since she’d left the farm while he added in details when certain things slipped her mind.

As Diana spoke one aspect of her story especially struck her. This is all so absurd, she thought. I’m going to topple Discord? Me, a filly fresh off the farm is going to take down a chaotic immortal god? Why would I even try to do this, why not just wander like I originally planned? Slowly, as her story came to the town and the reception Watchwing had received, the realization dawned on her. Because I want to. I want to change this world. I want to take down Discord and make this world into a better place. She smiled to herself. By the sun and stars, even I think that sounds hopelessly naïve. Good. If I let myself dwell on how impossible this all is then there’s no way I’ll accomplish anything. I will fight this fight because I want to and I will win!

Pleased with her improved personal resolve Diana failed to notice that the story had reached their arrival at Zephyr’s house and continued talking. Watchwing and Zephyr exchanged a glance, clearly resolved to simply let her keep going until she realized her mistake. It took longer than either would have expected.

“And so, after the healing, we all went into Zephyr’s kitchen where she made us this delicious meal and asked about our past. I didn’t see any harm in telling her everything so I began from when I left the farm. It was about two weeks ago and…ow! What was that for?”

Watchwing had swatted Diana gently upside the head with his wing. In response to her protest he raised an eyebrow. “I’d rather avoid any recursive storytelling, if you don’t mind.”

Diana blushed, no easy feat for a pink pony, as she realized the direction she had been taking. “Why didn’t either of you stop me sooner?”

“We wanted to see how long you would keep going for,” Zephyr said with a grin before sobering up. “In all seriousness though, that’s quite a tale you’ve got there. How much of it is true?”

“All of it is true.” Watchwing replied stiffly, somewhat offended by the insult to their honesty.

“All right, all right, you can’t blame me for wondering though.”

“I suppose not, it does sound rather farfetched.” Watchwing admitted, before brushing it aside. “More importantly, do have any idea what the Tiresian’s hints might have meant?”

A thoughtful expression crossed Zephyr’s face. “Hmm, ‘The Twisted Tree grew in far off soil, familiar to your kind and mine. Only through the birthright of all monsters could it ascend through dominion of Chaos. Mortal might and magic alone will fail, but the laurel might crown an equal of opposite birthright and dominion.’ That’s what it said right? Well I’m afraid I haven’t a clue but I know somepony who might.”

“Who is it? Could you introduce us?” Diana had apparently sufficiently overcome her embarrassment to rejoin the conversation.

“Yes and no. The pony I’m thinking off is the unicorn that lives with me, Maela. I’d love to introduce you to her but, unfortunately, she’s being held by the guards at the moment. In fact, that’s the payment I want for the healing, for you to help me break her out.” Zephyr spoke quickly, as if hoping that by doing so she could avoid an unpleasant reaction from her listeners.

Incredulous silence filled the room for a brief moment before...

“You want us to do WHAT?!” Diana and Watchwing shouted in unison.

Zephyr remained impassive in the face of their agitation. “I want you to help me break my friend out of prison,” she repeated.

“Why would you think we would help with something like that? We’re not desperate enough to start begging for aid from criminals.” Diana said, her voice practically dripping with derision on the word “criminal”.

Even in the few hours they had known her, Zephyr had impressed the two of them as an especially levelheaded pony. Now, though, her balanced façade began to crack and her nervousness shone through. “I didn’t really think you’d help but…well, even if you’re not desperate, I am. My friend is going to be dragged off to the capital in chains and two ponies who oppose Discord just happened to end up in my debt. A coincidence like that and I couldn’t help but wonder if it was fate.” She whimpered. It was quiet and quickly stifled but seemed all the more heartfelt for it. “Of course it isn’t fate, of course you won’t help, it’s an absurd thing to ask you to do but…I had to try. She’s my friend,” Zephyr finished simply.

As Zephyr spoke the anger faded from Diana and Watchwing’s faces to be replaced by hints of sympathy and shame. Watchwing was especially saddened by the distraught mare before them and when spoke to her his tone was soft and his words kind. “We’re sorry; we didn’t realize what this friend meant to you. Could you tell us why she’s in prison?”

The earth pony sniffed, still near the edge of tears. “Maela’s curious about everything, absolutely everything. If she gets it in her head to investigate she’s practically obsessive until her curiosity is satisfied.” She gave a watery smile. “That’s where this kitchen came from, actually. Maela wondered if she could magically automate the cooking process and we ended up eating raw cabbages for three weeks because she refused to let me in the kitchen while she was working on it.”

When Zephyr didn’t continue Watchwing prompted her in the same gentle tone. “So she’s curious, how did that lead to her getting arrested?”

“Oh right, sorry. Anyway, I sent her to pickup groceries and apparently along the way she got curious about the guards and tried to use a scanning spell on them. Using magic on the guards normally carries a sentence of jail time but, if I known Maela, she probably figured something out about the guards that she shouldn’t have, and that’s why she’s being taken away rather than just imprisoned here.”

Diana had allowed Watchwing to take the lead in coaxing Zephyr along, correctly assuming that he’d be better at it than she. Now that the whole story was out she felt she had to speak. “Zephyr, first of all, I’m sorry. I should have known better than to assume your friend was a bad pony just because they’re in jail. Even if they were that’s no reason for me to phrase it so cruelly. Can you forgive me?”

Zephyr nodded her acceptance. “I suppose it’s an understandable assumption to make, don’t worry about it.”

“Thank you. There’s one other thing I wanted to ask. Are you determined to try and help your friend no matter the consequences to yourself?”

Zephyr wiped the remains of tears from her eyes and raised her head high. “I am,” she answered. Her outward layer of control had long since vanished and now her nervousness disappeared as well, revealing the steely determination that lay beneath. “This is my oldest and dearest friend, even if I end up sharing her fate I can’t live with myself if I don’t try.”

“In that case,” Diana said slowly, “I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of us helping you just yet.” Zephyr gasped and Watchwing gave her a sharp look but she held up a hoof to forestall their comments. “Don’t get your hopes up too much, Watchwing and I need to discuss it further. After what you’ve said though, I don’t want to dismiss is out of hoof.”

“A fair consideration is all I can ask for, I guess.” She tried to continue but was interrupted by a huge yawn. It was just shy of midnight; dinner had long since been finished and the dishes had teleported themselves to the basin on the wall where they were washed, dried, and tucked back into storage. “Sorry, it’s been a long day and it’s long past my usual bedtime. Why don’t I show you to where you’ll be staying tonight? We can talk more in the morning.”

Watchwing nodded. “That’ll be fine. The two of us have a lot to talk about ourselves,” he said, shooting Diana a pointed glance.

“Follow me.” Zephyr rose from her seat and led the way out of the kitchen and down the hall. A set of stair tucked away in the back of the dining room allowed access to the second story. To the left of the stairs, over the sitting room, was the master bedroom. It had two large double beds with matching night stands and dressers and a walk in closet. “That’s the room Maela and I sleep in.” Zephyr said, indicating the bedroom, “I’d offer one of you her bed but I have no idea what kind of spells she’s put on it and I think it is better not to take the risk.”

Privately Diana shared that sentiment. I don’t want to mess around with the bed of a unicorn powerful and capricious enough to set up a continuous teleportation spell for something as simple as doing the dishes, she thought.

To the right was a corridor the mirror image of the one on the floor below. Zephyr opened the first door revealing a smaller room. There was a window opposite the door and below that a bed took up most of the room’s free space. A throw rug covered the floor before them and an open door on the left revealed small but perfectly serviceable lavatory.

“I’m sorry but we only have the one guest bed. I can make up a comfortable nest of blankets on the floor though.”

“Oh don’t bother,” Diana said absently, “we can share the bed.” A surprised squeak from Zephyr made her pause and she blushed at the realization of what she’d just implied. “Not like that,” she hastened to add, “we’ve been spending a lot of nights outside so we’re used to sleeping in close quarters for safety’s sake.”

That might have been enough to avoid embarrassing their host had Watchwing not chosen that moment to walk close beside her and drape a wing across her shoulders possessively. “I’ve been so looking forward to sleeping in a bed.” He raised an eyebrow and added suggestively, I’m sure it’ll be much more comfortable than what we’re used to.”

Zephyr made another small noise and backed out of the room quickly. “I’ll just, uhm, leave you to it then…” she mumbled as she tried desperately to look anywhere but at the two of them. Before Diana could protest the earth pony had shut the door and run away.

Diana shrugged off Watchwing’s wing and glared at him. He stared back stoically. They remained motionless, facing off, for as long as they could. Eventually though, a grin cracked Watchwing’s control and he flopped to the floor, rolling around in mirth. Diana kept up her disapproving gaze for a beat longer before she too succumbed and joined him on the floor.

They had almost calmed down when Watchwing pointed out that the noise their amusement had made would certainly exacerbate Zephyr’s suspicions and that set them off again.

The situation wasn’t truly that amusing and their reactions were more an expression of relief than anything else. To be welcome in a home, safe within the walls, is a magic all its own and the two homeless travelers reveled in the rare feeling of being sheltered that it produced.

At last the amusement faded and they sobered up. Diana waited for Watchwing to ask the question she knew he was going to ask.

“So you want to free this Maela.” The way Watchwing spoke made it clear that it wasn’t a question, he knew her better than that.

“Yes”

He rubbed his temples and a hint of irritation crept into his tone. “Why would you want to do that? We have enough on our plate without going looking for trouble. Even setting aside the all-important question of how we would possibly go about breaking a pony out of prison it still seems like a bad idea. Hay, we don’t even know if Zephyr is telling the truth-”

“She is telling the truth!” Diana flared. “She healed me after all.”

“And what better way to gain our trust, hmm?” Watchwing shot back.

“I refuse to believe that that healing was anything other than sincere,” Diana protested. “You couldn’t see it or feel it but during the healing she took my injury into herself and afterward there was a mark on her leg matching the one that disappeared from mine. She quite literally took a wound for me. Even if you didn’t notice that you must have caught the fact that she was limping afterward.”

“I did notice the limp and I don’t think she’s lying to us.” Watchwing admitted, sighing. “I just don’t want to rush into anything. If we try and get caught it’s all over. We’ll have failed practically before we’ve begun.”

“I know; I’m scared too.” Watchwing bristled but Diana just smiled softly at him. “You are scared, don’t bother denying it. But if we can’t come up with a better reason than fear then we have to do this. Otherwise it’ll be no different the next time we’re faced with a risky situation.”

“Not to be contrary, but there are several good reasons not to do this besides fear of failure. One of our major advantages is that Captain doesn’t know where we exited the forest. Unless you think we can do this without being seen, which is pretty unlikely, we’ll end up giving away our location. Moreover, this will attract further attention. We don’t know how much influence Captain has over the guard but if we stage a prison break you can bet that every guard from here to Telluria will be on the lookout for us. Or hay, look at it the other way around. We can trust Zephyr somewhat but we know next to nothing about this Maela. She might turn around and turn us in, in the hopes of getting off easy.”

Diana snorted, “That’s a lot of ‘what ifs’. There are several reasons we should do it too. We owe Zephyr for the healing and, if she’s about to give up everything in a desperate bid to free her friend, then the only way we can pay her back is to help in her endeavor, anything else would be meaningless. Also there’s the possibility that Maela might be able to figure something out about the Tiresian’s riddle. Even if she can’t she’s still manifestly a clever unicorn and she can probably teach me how to use my magic beyond my usual strategy of ‘push power through an intention and hope something happens.’ Finally, there’s the simple fact that she doesn’t deserve what’s happened to her and we might be able to do something about it,” she finished decisively.

“There’s a decent number of ‘what ifs’ in there as well.” Watchwing noted.

There was silence for a moment as each pony mulled over what the other had said. Diana was the first to speak. “There is one other reason I want to do this,” she said hesitantly. “It’s a pretty subjective reason but…well, it’s there nonetheless. All I’ve done is run away and when you stood up to Discord it cost you your eyes and your home. I want to win for once, to deny Discord and his minions some end that they desire, to prove to everypony that we can win, even if it’s only in this small way.”

“Now that,” he said slowly, “that is a reason I can get behind.”

Diana blinked. “Just like that?”

He nodded. “Just like that. Let’s show that misbegotten son of a wyrm that not all ponies bow before him!”

Hmm, it’s scary how much he hates Discord. Even I can see that this might not be the best idea but he abandoned all opposition once I framed the prison break as direct attack on Discord’s authority. Deep down a small voice that reminded her of her bloodlust whispered, how can I use this, but she strove to ignore it.

Watchwing’s swift acquiescence made her question whether or not a prison break really was a good idea and her new doubts pushed her to reconfirm their course of action. “So all the reasons you gave about how this is a bad idea don’t matter anymore?”

Watchwing made a visible effort to contain his emotion and answer rationally. “I wasn’t truly against it, just undecided. The potential benefits outweigh the risks and it feels right, you know? It feels like something the good ponies would do: staging a daring rescue of an innocent mare from the depths of the tyrant’s dungeons.”

“That’s a bit melodramatic, I think,” Diana said with a smile. “But alright then, it’s decided, tomorrow we tell Zephyr we’ll help. Now I think we should hit the hay.”

Watchwing readily agreed and before very much longer they had both settled into the cottony softness of a real bed. Sleep came swiftly to the two tired ponies; after all, they had a prison break to plan on the morrow.

***

“I’m thrilled you’re helping me and all but this still feels reckless,” Zephyr murmured nervously.

“We can’t very well plan without actually seeing the building,” Diana pointed out. “And this provides the perfect opportunity.”

After a truly luxurious night’s rest Diana and Watchwing had cleared up the little misunderstanding that occurred before bed and informed Zephyr of their decision to help her. She was startled at first but her surprise quickly gave way to a relieved joy. Zephyr then revealed that Maela would be held in the prison for the next week before being taken to the capital city of Telluria. They pressed her for more information about the prison and the events that were to occur but, having never had a run in with the law herself, all Zephyr could tell them was that the officer that would escort the prisoner to the capital was arriving today. So it was that the three ponies found themselves making their way slowly through the crowded market to watch the arrival of the escort.

The early morning chill of the last few days, a last remaint of winter’s grasp, had at last given way to the warmth of true spring. Most ponies wore nothing at all; glad to revel in the warmth, so Diana’s cloak drew a few strange looks. Unfortunately, the company she was keeping also drew its fair share of glances, ones far more disapproving then those that regarded her choice of attire. She found her anger rising as a muddy brown unicorn mare made herself the third that morning to turn her nose up at the sight of a unicorn, earth pony, and pegasus all walking together.

“If one more pony does that, so help me, I will give them a piece of my mind; if not a piece of my hoof!” Diana growled.

Zephyr was confused by her outburst but Watchwing knew exactly what was angering her. “It’s the two of us they’re turning their noses up at, not you. Why does it bother you so much?” he asked.

“You’re my friends; I’m not going to let some arrogant two-bit ponies put you down for walking next to me. It’s ridiculous.”

Zephyr looked at her wonderingly. “You really didn’t grow up with this sort of thing, did you?”

“Nope” said Diana shortly, as she turned off the main market street and onto a smaller side street the other two following close behind. “It seems utterly absurd to me but I’ve been told that this just the way things are.” She paused. “I don’t actually know where I’m going so why don’t you lead, Zephyr?”

In daylight the earth pony’s blush was surprisingly visible against her dark green coat and the spots of color made her already cute features downright adorable. Diana suppressed a smile as she surrendered the lead to the bashful pony.

As they trotted along the cobblestones Watchwing and Zephyr resumed an earlier discussion about the efficacy of various herbs and natural remedies. Both had been healers of a sort but they had specialized in very different areas. Zephyr tended to know more about herbs that treated symptoms because, after drawing the wound or illness into herself she could dose herself with something to treat what was left of the symptoms and wait for the problem to resolve itself, as it invariably did. Watchwing on the other hand, knew more about herbs that treated the root of the problem because he disliked the idea of treating the symptoms and ignoring the cause. There was still a great deal of overlap in their knowledge and they enjoyed finding common ground as well as sharing in each other’s knowledge.

Diana listened with half an ear as the two herbalists got into a friendly argument over whether the proper name for a certain plant was monkshood or wolfsbane. Her thoughts drifted to the task before them, a task that she had absolutely no idea how to complete. I sure hope this trip provides a flash of brilliance. Otherwise we may have bitten off more than we can chew.

Further ruminations were interrupted as a building that was unmistakably their destination came into view around the next turn. Though taller than most of the other buildings in town, the garrison nevertheless gave the impression of being squat. Its unpainted grey stone masonry stood out in stark contrast with the more airy whitewashed wooden buildings of the pony folk. Lacking any windows or doors other than the main one facing the street, its rounded homogenous appearance gave the impression that some poor giant pony had been buried alive here and had managed to shove only the tip of one hoof through the earth before expiring.

While not entirely deserted this section of town was, for obvious reasons, far less crowded than the market had been. The three ponies made their way over to a small, rather decrepit, café across the street and two buildings down from the garrison. They took a table outside where they could clearly see the entrance as well as along the street in both directions, not that line of sight was important so long as Watchwing was there, but being cautious made Diana feel more secure.

A waiter, looking exceedingly relieved and somewhat surprised to have customers, quickly came by to take their orders. Zephyr ordered coffees for each of them and slid the waiter a silver bit, intimating that they would likely be there for a quite some time and would prefer to be left undisturbed. For that large a tip, and in advance no less, the waiter was more than willing to accommodate the odd request and brought them an entire pot of coffee, “so they wouldn’t run out”, before making himself scarce.

Settled into their stakeout point the three ponies returned their attention to the garrison. Unfortunately, it yielded little more information to a second glance than it had to the first. A broad set of plain stone steps led up to the main double door. It was wooden and tall enough that even the largest of guards could pass through upright. The door was flanked on either side by spear wielding guards standing stiffly at attention and every now and then a soldier would enter or exit. Diana noted that each soldier that entered presented some form of id to the door guards.

After an hour of watching soldiers come and go without gleaning any useful information Diana began to grow frustrated. “Have you two noticed anything useful?” she asked. Zephyr mutely shook her head but Watchwing had an expression of intense concentration on his face and didn’t answer. Diana nudged him gently and he jumped in surprise.

“What? Oh Diana, what was that for?” She repeated her question and he nodded thoughtfully. “I’ve been trying to get a sense of the room immediately behind the doors from when they come in or go out, but I can’t make out much I’m afraid.”

“Well that’s something at least, what can you see?”

Watchwing thoughtfully took a sip of his now cold coffee before answering. “Wait a moment, I’ve got an idea. Let’s see if this works. Now who can I use” he muttered, looking around the street. His attention settled on a soldier making his way toward the door. “Ah! He’ll do. I have to time it just right.” Diana and Zephyr watched him curiously as he stood up and raised his wings as high as they could go, focusing on the progress of the incoming guardsman. At last Watchwing brought his wings down with as much force as he could muster, sending a strong breeze billowing across the street and through the garrison door just as it opened to admit the guardsman. He brought his wings up once more and curved them around the nerve points, magnifying the amount of information he retained from each errant gust of wind.

He remained still for a few moments, allowing the reflection of the gust he had sent out time to return. When it had, he folded his wings and sat down once more. “Alright, I think I have a pretty good idea how the room behind directly past the doors is set up. It’s reasonably large covering almost the same amount of space as the building itself. There were a few blocky shapes scattered around which I think are chairs. On the far side there was a desk with a guard sitting behind it and past that are two sets of stairs, one leading up and the other down.”

Diana smiled at him appreciatively. “Good job, having an idea of the layout is certainly going to be helpful. I’m going to guess that the cells are along the descending staircase. That just seems like the right place for a prison.”

Zephyr nodded. “That’s probably it. The guards live in the garrison as well as work there and I can’t imagine that they would choose to live underground.”

Further conversation was put on hold as the both doors opened wide and two columns of ten soldiers each marched out in unison. As the last member of each column reached the bottom of the steps the soldiers did a sharp quarter turn and ended up facing one another at the bottom of the steps. At the top a new soldier, one with an air of command and orange stripes across his shoulders similar to those that Captain had worn, stood at attention.

Diana leaned forward eagerly at the sight. “Finally, something’s happening. Excellent, it’s time for that escort to arrive.” she grinned a feral grin, “let’s see who we’re up against.”

For a moment the street was absolutely still, a strange tableau of waiting soldiers and motionless ponies. Then, far down the street the sharp report of boots against stone heralded the approach of a new arrival. Five soldiers, scarcely distinguishable from those waiting before the garrison, came into view marching in a line. Behind them a commanding figure became clear and with simultaneous gasps Diana and Watchwing realized who it was.

Captain came striding down the street.

Diana was about to rise and flee when Watchwing’s hoof on her shoulder stopped her. “Running now will only draw their attention,” he whispered. “They’re going to the garrison; they have no reason to come this far up the street.” She nodded and shakily sank back into her seat.

“Do you know her?” Zephyr asked, somewhat perplexed by their actions.

“That’s Captain, the one who gave me the cut on my leg,” Diana replied flatly.

Zephyr’s eyes widened in surprise and then narrowed as she turned to regard Captain, but all she said was, “I see.”

While the ponies were speaking Captain’s soldiers had reached the waiting columns and split apart. She walked through the gap in their ranks to meet the officer who had also stepped forward. Diana flicked her ears forward, grimacing as she realized that the pair was out of earshot. Zephyr looked similarly frustrated but Watchwing was still focusing intently.

Confused, Diana glanced over at him. “Watchwing, can you hear what they’re saying?”

“Not hear but…” he trailed off, shaking his head. “I can almost tell what they’re saying, though I’m not sure how. Let me concentrate for a moment.” The table was silent as Watchwing strove to make out what the two officers were saying. Suddenly he straightened up and curved his wings around his nerve centers once more. “Got it!” he exclaimed triumphantly. “I’m not hearing them, but I think I might be able to read their lips.”

Just as Watchwing got into position, however, Captain turned and walked briskly past the other officer with her soldiers following in her wake. With nothing left to listen to Watchwing folded his wings once more. “If I’d just been a moment faster,” he lamented.

“Did you catch any part of their conversation?” Diana asked.

“Only the very last exchange. Captain said ‘I’ll proceed as I see fit, Lieutenant.’ And the other officer, who I assume is named Lieutenant, said ‘You might outrank me but this is my area and you will respect my authority.’ That was when Captain stalked off.”

“Well it seems Captain and this Lieutenant are not on the best of terms,” Diana noted. “Perhaps we can play them off against one another. Regardless, more information is certainly a good thing.”

“Excuse me, I was wondering” Zephyr began diffidently. “Why didn’t you know that you could read their lips?”

Diana looked over a Zephyr, surprised. “That’s a good observation. I didn’t think your ‘sight’ was that detailed Watchwing.”

“It isn’t. Or I suppose I should say it wasn’t. I’m positive that I couldn’t have listened in like that yesterday.”

“Maybe your sight’s just getting more detailed with practice?” Zephyr offered.

He shook his head doubtfully. “Maybe, but it seems a very sudden and sharp increase for it to be normal improvement.”

“Well, the important thing is that we have another useful skill at our disposal.” Diana said, postponing further theorizing to a later date. “Now I think we’ve seen all we’re going to see here. Let’s head back; we’ve got a prison break to plan.” The other two ponies nodded in agreement and they all rose from their seats, ready to return to Zephyr’s house.

So far so good, Diana thought as they walked. We’ve scoped out the place and gotten away without attracting undue attention. Now I just have to figure out how to spirit a pony out from under the watchful eyes of a garrison of soldiers plus Captain. Piece of cake, right?

***

“This cake is delicious,” Diana exclaimed, happily taking a huge bite.

“Thanks, but I can’t take credit for it since the kitchen does all the work,” Zephyr protested, smiling nonetheless.

The three ponies were enjoying a late evening meal. After returning home they had decided to spend the afternoon brainstorming. Diana preferred solitude to think while Watchwing and Zephyr elected to work together. In all honesty Diana suspected that Watchwing was simply enjoying a chance to socialize after his year of isolation, but she certainly couldn’t blame him for it. Alone with a blank pad of paper in the bedroom in which she had spent the night Diana cudgeled her brains for some way to break into and out of the prison.

Progress was slow and frustrating. Her thoughts just seemed to keep going around in circles, never getting anywhere. We don’t have enough information so we can’t just plan a rescue but any attempt to gain information would probably put them on high alert so we might as well just go straight for the rescue except we can’t and...argh!

After spending the afternoon thinking furiously all Diana had come up with was a plan to get past the guardsmen at the door and even that seemed iffy. When Zephyr called up to her that dinner was ready she was exceedingly grateful for the interruption. The meal was quickly consumed and the three ponies were now conversing over dessert.

“So what did you two come up with?” Diana asked as she helped herself to a third slice of cake.

“It occurred to me that, whatever our eventual plan is, it will probably be easier the fewer soldiers there are in the garrison,” Watchwing began.

“And then I pointed out that I am still owed quite a few favors around town that I could probably call in and get them to spread false alarms to force the garrison to send out guards,” Zephyr finished.

“I agree. Fewer soldiers in our way would certainly be helpful and that sounds like it would work. Did you come up with anything for the actual prison break though?” Diana asked.

“I’m afraid not,” Watchwing said sadly, “did you think of anything?”

Diana shook her head, “I think I know how to get past the door guards but-“

A sharp knocking at the front door interrupted their conversation.

“It’s a little late for guests isn’t it?” Diana asked as Zephyr rose to answer the door.

“Late visitors are part and parcel of being a healer. You two stay here and I’ll see what they want,” Zephyr answered. She left and from the other room came the squeak of an opening door.

The chime of drawn sword was heard from the other room. After a moment of tense silence a voice they had hoped not to hear again shouted into the house. “Watchwing, Diana, if you don’t want this little earth pony to end up in pieces I suggest you get in here!”

With a helpless look Diana and Watchwing rose and left the kitchen. Before them Captain stood, nonchalantly holding a sword across Zephyr’s throat. Her eyes lit up with genuine pleasure as she they made their entrance. “Blindy! Pinkie! So good to see you two again.”

“Let. Her. Go.” Diana’s eyes were as cold and hard as the ice at the heart of the world. Her horn began to shine menacingly though in truth she had no idea what spell she could cast.

“Chill Pinkie, as you might have guessed from the lack of soldiers behind me I’m not here to capture you. I only grabbed her so you wouldn’t waste my time running or hiding. Now if you promise not to attack I’ll let her go and we can sit down and have a nice chat.”

The carefree tone and nonthreatening words pulled Diana back from the brink of surrender to an uncontrolled bloodlust. Without that clouding her thoughts she realized that a chance to talk with Captain might provide useful information for their prison break and she would get Zephyr out of harm’s way in the bargain. She spoke swiftly before Captain could change her mind. “Deal, we won’t attack you, now let her go.”

Captain shrugged, “Works for me.” She sheathed her sword and walked into the living room, taking a sprawling seat across one of the rugs. “Come on, sit down, we’ve got ever so much to discuss. Oh, before I forget, hey earth pony who I just took hostage, what’s your name?”

“I’m Zephyr” she responded, looking more nonplussed then alarmed at her capture and subsequent release.

“Zephyr huh?” Captain frowned thoughtfully as the three ponies took seats on the far side of the room from her. “Then I hereby dub thee ‘Zephy’ just so you match Blindy and Pinkie over there.”

“My name is not Pinkie!” Diana growled. “Stop with the nonsense and tell us what the hay you’re doing here. How did you find us anyway?”

“I saw you this morning at that café. Quite brazen of you, I’m rather impressed really, having coffee not two doors down from a garrison when you’re wanted ponies. I saw Zephy with you too and when I heard that the pony I was here to escort lived with a green earth pony it wasn’t that hard to put the pieces together. As for why I’m here, well,” she grinned “I want you to run away.”

“No! I’m not leaving without Maela,” Zephyr burst out angrily.

Captain shook her head sadly at Zephyr’s outburst, “yeah I figured it was something like that.”

“Why do you want us to run away?” Watchwing asked. “Doesn’t that run counter to your objectives?”

She chuckled ruefully, not noticing as the ponies winced at the sound, and ran a hand through her crimson hair. “That’s the million bit question isn’t it? To put it plainly, if you get captured here I’m toast. And not delicious golden brown lightly buttered toast, I’m talking the blackened crusts at the bottom of the oven that are thrown out without a second thought.” Three very confused ponies stared back at her blankly. She sighed. “I suppose I need to explain that some more eh?” Three heads bobbed in unison.

“Alright, here’s how it is. If I don’t capture you or if someone else does my life is forfeit. Discord has also stated that any homunculus that captures you will ascend.” The blanks looks grew, if possible, even blanker and Captain sighed. “Listen; there are three types of homunculi. Ordinary homunculi are the most numerous; they’re the ones with the solid black uniforms and they serve as guards. They’re little more than thugs really, all they can do is follow orders. Then there are the enhanced homunculi like myself and Lieutenant, whom you saw earlier. We have stripes across our shoulders corresponding to rank, serve as officers, and generally run the military outside Telluria. Finally, there are ascended homunculi who serve Discord directly in the capital and have double stripes on the shoulders of their uniforms.”

“If an enhanced homunculus serves with all their might and makes very few mistakes they might be permitted to ascend at the end of their life. Now though, Discord is offering that tantalizing and elusive prize simply for your capture. Any homunculus would desire it but, since I was the one who let you escape, if I don’t capture you and ascend then I will be executed.”

Watchwing gave her a guarded look. “From what you’ve said is seems that there is even less cause then we thought for you to want us to run.”

“Not quite. You see, Lieutenant would dearly love to be the one to capture you. What do you think would happen if I just waltzed into the garrison with you three as my prisoners?”

Diana caught on. “He’d take us from you and claim that you had nothing to do with our capture.”

She nodded. “Got it in one. I outrank him but even discounting the ten soldiers on patrol and the ten off duty at any given moment there’s still thirty soldiers left over against my five, and I don’t like those odds. So I have a little deal for you. I let you run this time and, in exchange, you promise that if you’re ever captured by someone other than me you give them a message.”

“I told you we’re not running until we rescue Maela!” Zephyr cried furiously even as Diana and Watchwing tried to hush her.

“Oh don’t bother hushing her,” Captain said acidly. “That first comment and the fact that you two are here of all places has made it pretty clear what your objective is. In point of fact, Zephy, you don’t need to run at all. But I assume that these two are intent on staying for the same reason as you are.”

“No point in hiding it, eh? Yes, we plan to break Maela out of prison and we can’t leave this town until we do.” Watchwing spoke more resolutely and confidently than he actually felt, mostly to reassure Zephyr that they wouldn’t abandon her.

“Really? You really think you can make it past the door guards, through the antechamber, down the dungeon steps, past another set of guards, break into the cell, and then do it all in reverse while carrying an injured pony and not get caught?” She snorted in derision. “I doubt you’d make it five steps.”

“So what now?” Diana asked. “We’re intent on trying and possibly getting caught but you can’t stop us without ensuring we get caught. What are you going to do?”

Captain rubbed the bridge of her nose with one hand. Her voice was tired as she replied. “I’m not sure. I didn’t think it would be hard to convince you to run for your lives. It really shouldn’t be, you know? I hate to say it but my first thought is to kill Maela so that you have nothing to gain by breaking into the garrison but if I did that I’d be executed just as fast. Maybe I could....wait, do you hear that?” She dashed to a window and peered out at the street before the door. The ponies were quick to follow after to see what had caused such concern.

Marching down the street, illuminated by the light of the torches they were carrying, were two ranks of five soldiers each with Lieutenant himself at their head.

Diana hissed with rage and leapt at Captain, her horn pricking Captain’s neck. “You brought them here. I should have known better than to listen to you, even for an instant. At least I’ll have the pleasure of killing you before I’m captured.”

“I didn’t!” Captain protested urgently. “They must have followed me but on my honor I swear that I didn’t bring them here. Listen to me though, we can still salvage this.”

The alicorn hesitated for a brief moment. “Talk quickly,” she said with a glance out the window, adding, “for both our sakes.”

“I told them that you had a blind pegasus with you but I didn’t mention that he doesn’t act blind. There are sure to be guards encircling the house but homunculi don’t have terribly good night vision. If I’m correct that Watchwing can see without light he can probably lead you past them. Meanwhile I can distract this group out front, giving you time to get away and either leave the area or go to ground somewhere in town.”

Though Diana was reluctant to trust Captain there didn’t seem to be any alternative. She lowered her horn and nodded. “Fine. Watchwing, Zephyr, grab our packs and head to the back door. See if you can’t get a sense of where the guards are. And you, Captain, what message is it you want us to relate if we’re captured.” In answer to Captain’s surprised look she added, “I don’t want to be in your debt for giving us time to get away.”

“Alright, memorize this and we’re square. Speak thusly: ‘Twixt truth and death life begins’”

“‘Twixt truth and death life begins’, I will remember. I fully expect our paths to cross again, Captain.”

“As do I, Diana”

They held one another’s gaze for a brief moment more and in that moment an understanding of the thread of destiny tying them to one another passed between pony and homunculus. At last Diana broke the gaze and trotted toward the rear exit.

She dashed through the kitchen and rejoined Watchwing and Zephyr just through the shimmering curtain that served as a back door. Zephyr had Watchwing’s satchel over one shoulder and, realizing that Watchwing would be able to see more clearly if he were unencumbered, Diana was quick to take her own saddle bags back from him.

“Well,” she whispered, “are they out there?”

“Yes, ten of them are spread out over the plane and slowly closing in. It should be possible to sneak past them, but you’ll have to do exactly as I say and make as little noise as possible. I’ll go first then Zephyr in the middle holding my tail and Diana at the rear holding Zephyr’s tail. One tail twitch means go, two means stop, and three is lie down. Got it?”

The mares nodded and got into position with commendable alacrity. Watchwing gave a single tail twitch which Zephyr passed on to Diana and they started off into the night.

For Watchwing it was no doubt a nerve wracking experience but Diana found herself strangely relaxed. With only the faintest sliver of a moon up in the sky it was practically impossible to see the ground in front of her let alone any searching soldiers and she could pretend that she was merely out for a late night stroll back home on the farm. Mindlessly following the tail based cues she stopped, started, and changed direction numerous times. The loss of direction this caused enhanced her disconnect from the serious danger they were in.

Suddenly Diana’s reverie was shattered as Zephyr’s tail twitched frantically twice followed by three more twitches. Immediately she dove to the ground. Not a foot to her right she heard a heavy boot land on the hard earth with a solid thud. Breathlessly she strove to hold herself as still as possible, fearful that the guard would hear the furious pounding of her heart.

There should have been another step by now. Come on, take another step. Nothing to see here, no ponies cowering for their lives, nope nothing. Just keep walking, please! Diana prayed, though she could not have said to whom.

An eternity of breathless moments later she heard the booted foot lift up and land further behind her. A silent cheer of celebration filled her at the sound. A third footstep followed before the noise was lost to the muffling effect of the darkened plane. After another few moments of waiting, just to be sure, Diana felt a single tail twitch and stood up to continue their escape. They walked straight back into the plane, evidently past the cordon of soldiers, until Watchwing finally whispered an all-clear.

The three ponies huddled close together to plan their next move. “Zephyr, do you know of anywhere in town we could hide until they stop looking for us?” Watchwing asked.

“I think Dr. Glimmer would hide us. He really cares about other ponies; if I weren’t here he would be treating everypony, guild rates or no.” She bit her lip in thought. “If we circle around and enter the town from the side I think we can make it to his house unseen but with all these guards around it might be tricky.”

Diana froze, Zephyr’s words echoed in her mind and an idea began to tease her, playing hide and seek with her thoughts. “Watchwing, you said there were ten guards around back right?”

“Yes but what does that have to do with anything?”

“I’m not sure; just...hang on a second.” Diana lowered her head trying her hardest to grab the slippery thought and force it to the forefront of her brain. Something about information? We needed to know more for the prison break and then we talked with Captain...Is it something Captain said? Grr! What am I missing?

“Diana, I don’t know what the holdup is but there are a lot of guards around and this opportunity to escape won’t come again.” Watchwing said turning back and forth to make sure no guards were sneaking up on them.

“That’s it! That’s what this is an opportunity that won’t come again.” Diana almost shouted, before remembering where they were and lowering her voice to a loud whisper. “Remember what Captain said? Lieutenant has fifty soldiers. Ten are on patrol and ten are off duty any given moment. He had ten with him out front and ten more on guard back here. That means...”

“There are only ten guards still in the garrison!” Watchwing said in a voice of dawning comprehension.

“Not just that,” Diana added excitedly, “she also kindly laid out the exact location of Maela as well as the guards on that route. Remember? When she sarcastically asked us if we thought we could get past them all?”

“This is our best chance, isn’t it? Are we going?” Zephyr asked hopefully.

They had neither planned nor prepared for a prison break that not. It was an unquestionably foolish to act so hastily. Nonetheless, Diana felt a mad reckless grin growing on her face at the thought of it, and swift glance at Watchwing revealed a similarly fired up expression.

“Let’s do this!”

***

Diana’s heart was racing in her chest as she walked down the street, just a few buildings away from the garrison. Their plan was a bit touch and go but now that it was set in motion there was no room for concern. Besides, concern would have distracted her as she strained with all her might to hold two spells in abeyance. It didn’t help matters that she was simultaneously levitating her saddle bags to disguise the otherwise suspicious glowing of her horn. By its baleful pink light she could just make out Watchwing walking towards her from the garrison’s opposite side.

A quick glance told her that the door guards were in the same position they had been earlier that day, and that they were dismissing as unimportant the two ponies that happened to be out late.

That would be their last mistake.

Watchwing and Diana reached the bottom of the steps in unison, each directly below one of the guards. They exchanged a small nod and Diana cast the two spells she’d been holding back. At once a small barrier, similar to the one she’d cast on the sentinels back at the wall around her village, obscured the guards’ vision.

Before they could react Diana and Watchwing were on them. The bony ridge of Watchwing’s wing took his guard in the throat, even as his hoof connected with the guard’s chest, shattering his sternum. Diana simply rammed her horn through her guard’s throat. Both dropped without a sound.

Diana lit her horn briefly and at the signal Zephyr came forward out of the darkness and stood with the other two at the top of the steps. She kept a lookout while Watchwing sent small gusts under the door and Diana rooted around in her bag. At last, she pulled out the rag that she had imbued with the Tiresian’s memory mist almost a week ago.

“Well, Watchwing, what’s it look like in there?” she asked.

“The only guard is on the far side of the room, behind a desk of some sort.”

“Alright, then we know what to do, ready?” she asked, tightening her telekinetic hold on the rag and readying herself to release its magical cocoon. They nodded. “Good, on the count of three, open the doors. One...two...three!”

Watchwing and Zephyr pulled sharply, flinging the doors aside. Diana dashed into the room, sending the rag shooting ahead of her to cover the mouth of the shocked guard on the other side of the room. Another quick flash of magic and the cocoon disappeared even as the guard drew a startled breath. At once the guard’s shocked expression gave way to one of confusion even as Zephyr and Watchwing raced past him to stand on either side of the staircase that led both down into the dungeons and up into the soldiers’ quarters.

Diana let the spent rag drop to the ground as she marched straight up to the guard. “Tell the dungeon guards to come up here!” she demanded imperiously.

“Dungeon guards?” he echoed quizzically. “Who are the dungeon guards?”

“Go to the descending staircase and shout for dungeon guards to come up here” she said angrily enunciating every syllable. “Or are you disobeying my orders,” she added, mentally praying that the ordinary homunculi were as obedient as Captain had made them out to be.

Slowly, the guard rose from his seat and walked to the top of the staircase. He called down it, “Dungeon guards! You’re ordered to come up here. Now!” When footsteps could be heard rising from below Diana moved out of immediate eyeshot of the top of the stairs. A moment later a pair of guards walked up the steps only to be met on one side by Watchwing’s swift wing buffet to the back of the head and Zephyr’s mighty buck to the chest, sending them both to the ground. Seeing that they were taken care of, Diana used a wing buffet of her own to knock out the amnesiac guard, causing him to join his colleagues on the floor.

Watchwing glanced over at Zephyr in surprise. “I would have thought you would be reluctant to attack someone like that.”

Zephyr just shrugged. “As a healer I’m no stranger to death. And no pony who heals the way I do could think of it as anything less than a necessary part of life. Now let’s keep moving.”

“Wait,” Diana said as she trotted up. “Check and see if they have keys. I’d hate to get all the way down there and then find out that we can’t open the cell.”

A brief moment later Watchwing grinned in triumph as he lifted a large iron ring of keys with his wing. “Got it, let’s go.”

Without another word the trio descended. Watchwing led, his wings flapping as he sent air soaring ahead to reveal any surprises. Fortunately, there were none and, after several spirals of the staircase, it leveled out into a corridor with cells lining either side, torches set between their doors provided a modicum of light. A small desk with an abandoned set of playing cards revealed how the guards typically spent their time.

Zephyr rushed forward, eyes darting left and right, before turning back to Watchwing. “Which cell is Maela in?” she demanded.

He pointed at the third cell on the right. “Wait a moment though, there’s something odd about her,” he tried to add, but Zephyr dashed to the cell without listening. Diana and Watchwing followed close behind. Watchwing gasped as he came closer to the cell but Diana’s attention was occupied with her attempt to find the right key to unlock the door and she couldn’t spare the attention to see what it was about Maela that so surprised him.

After trying what seemed like every key on the ring, Diana finally felt the lock click and the door swung open on creaky hinges. Zephyr was at Maela’s side in an instant and Diana glanced up and finally got her first look at the unicorn before she too gasped in shock.

Maela had a pure white coat with a straight coal black mane and similarly straight long black tail. Her features were angular, sharp even, and her snout almost seemed to taper to a point. There were several cuts and bruises on her body from her time in the dungeon. But even with them it was clear she was an exceptionally beautiful unicorn. Or she would have been were it not for one thing.

Her scars.

Almost every inch of her body was covered with long lines of raised pale white scar tissue that stood out even against the white of her coat. There almost seemed to be a design to them, long looping whorls in some places, and tight spirals in others. Any one might not have affected her appearance greatly, possibly enhanced it, but taken as a whole the effect was altogether otherworldly and almost painful to look upon. The eye seemed to twist and turn along the lines, following the mesmerizing patterns and rapidly producing a headache in anypony foolish enough to look for too long.

“Merciful light,” Watchwing whispered, “what have they done to her?”

“I don’t know. She’s not in that bad a shape but she won’t wake up.” Zephyr looked up from her place by Maela’s side. “Or, oh, you mean her scars? She did that to herself, most of the time she hides it but they must have exhausted her magic.”

“She did that to herself?!” Diana exclaimed in a strangled shout. “Why would she do that?!”

“I really don’t think this is the best place to discuss it,” Zephyr replied icily. “Help me get her on my back, we have to go!” Her words startled them into motion.

“Here let me carry her,” Diana offered. Zephyr hesitated but Diana was the older and larger of the two and she too had earth pony blood to give her endurance and strength. With a bit of levitation and Watchwing’s help they managed to secure the sleeping mare across Diana’s back while Zephyr shouldered Diana’s saddlebags and returned Watchwing’s satchel.

The trip back up the stairs was uneventful but as they reached the antechamber Watchwing slowed next to the guard Diana had dispatched, the only one who was unconscious instead of dead. “We should kill him,” he said softly, “he got a good look at us. If we leave him alive Lieutenant will know exactly who broke Maela out.”

“We’re not going to kill him,” Diana said firmly. “We killed the others when they were still a threat. Something I was trying very hard not to think of, by the way, so thanks ever so much for bringing that up,” she added sarcastically. “Anyway we are not going to kill someone who is unconscious and no longer a direct threat. I will not allow that.”

For a moment it seemed that Watchwing was going to protest but instead he sighed. “Yeah, it wouldn’t be right would it? Much easier and safer, but not right. Well we got who we came here for, let’s get out before Lieutenant and Captain come back.”

Without another word the trio turned quartet slipped through the doors and vanished into the night.

Comments ( 5 )

Let's see, 5000 words in the last 12 days, 5000 +editing over the weekend, yeah that seems balanced.

There are a couple of places where the characters use anyone instead of anypony when they are talking about the guards. I figured that if they had grown up around guards they would have gotten into the habit of using anyone when talking about guards and anypony when talking about other ponies. If I used anyone outside of that context please do correct me. Also I'm sure there are some typos since I literally did half of this over this past weekend so please point them out as well.

Other than that, thanks for reading and enjoy!

I really enjoy this one :pinkiehappy: I liked how the captin is trying to capture Pinkie, Blinkiy, and now Zephy but also making sure that no one else but her captures them.

“Let’s do this!”
LEEEEEEROOOOOOOYYYY JENNNNNKINNNNSSSS
Raid Successful: A Mage has Joined your Party. A Healer has Joined your Party. 400xp, 40 renegade points, 10 Paragon. Watchwing has learned "Lip Read" Enemy is now elevated to HIGH ALERT.
Great chapter!

That.... was great.

Okay, now how is she going to react when she wakes up?

Login or register to comment