• Published 13th Sep 2013
  • 15,699 Views, 1,763 Comments

A Daughter and her Dragon - Level Dasher



Spike longed for years to have a family of his own. With Twilight's help, he applies for adoption. But what is it like to be raised by royalty?

  • ...
49
 1,763
 15,699

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Thirty-Six - Order in the Court

“Why’re we going this way? I thought the throne room was through a different entrance.”

“I told you, Flare, there’s a side door to the throne room over here,” Cotton replied, leading the three of them down a hallway. “There’s special box seating at the side of the room where Auntie Celestia’s assistant normally sits and takes the minutes. She usually lets me sit with her. It’s got enough room, but she’s not used to having more than one extra pony in the box, so you’ll need to be really quiet so you don’t distract her.”

Harmony nodded. “Sounds fair to me.”

As Cotton brought them to a nondescript door, she addressed the orange-coated female guard keeping the post with a softer voice. “Hi, Solar Song! Another boring shift, huh?”

The guard nodded. “As always, Cotton. You know nopony dares go in the box with Raven—except you.” She smirked. “You bribe the old mare with cookies, don’t you?”

Cotton gasped and put a dramatic hoof to her chest. “What? No!” Then after a pause, she said, “Maybe.” After a cocked brow was directed her way, she shrugged and put her hoof down. “Okay, yes.”

“I thought so,” Solar Song chuckled. “I think she has an extra pair of dentures just for those.”

Cotton giggled. “Hey Solar, can we go in and watch the court?”

The guard cocked a brow again. “You can,” she said, pointing her hoof at Flarechaser, Harmony, and Daisy, “but you can’t bring them with you. You know you’re the only one, other than Raven, with the privilege to go in the box. Even the Princesses only sit on their thrones.”

“Please, Solar? Just this once?” Cotton pouted. “I just want them to see what it’s like.”

Solar shook her head. “Sorry, Cotton. Protocol.”

With a little whimper, Cotton put on her best puppy-dog eyes. “Pleeeeeeeease?”

Solar Song narrowed her eyes. “Cotton, you know you don’t do that to another mare! Unwritten rule twenty-three!” When Cotton didn’t relent, she huffed. “Ugggh. Fine, but they better keep their muzzles shut or Raven’s going to have me drawn and quartered.”

Daisy, Harmony, and Flarechaser all swiped their hooves across their muzzles as they smiled.

“Thanks, Solar,” Cotton said, giving the mare a hug.

“If I get in trouble for this, though, I’m throwing you under the carriage, got it?”

Cotton nodded and gave Solar Song a salute. “And I’ll let you do it without complaint.”

“Alright. Just be really quiet, okay?” She turned to Harmony, Flarechaser, and Daisy. “You three better not cause any trouble, or talk, or make funny faces.” She thought for a moment. “Or do anything, really.”

As if they’d rehearsed it, all three girls put their hooves up in salutes and nodded in unison.

Cotton put her ear to the door; she could hear civil conversation between her aunt Celestia and a random citizen of Canterlot. She silently pushed the door open just so, and when she locked eyes with an ancient, white-coated unicorn mare, she smiled and gave a little wave, then mouthed out, Hi, Raven!

A quill hovered in Raven’s aura, scratching a beat across a sheet of parchment. It never missed a note as she smiled and returned Cotton’s wave.

Cotton looked back through the door, then pushed it open further as the faces of Harmony, Daisy, and Flarechaser all slid in, one on top of the other, so they were barely visible. Cotton looked around them at Raven and raised her brows, silently asking for permission.

Her eyes narrowing, Raven shook her head. The quill never faltered.

Cotton pouted, then mouthed the same psychological assault she’d mounted on Solar Song. Pleeeeeeeease?

Raven silently grumbled. After a moment, she raised a brow at Cotton, then put a hoof up to her muzzle and bit at the air.

Recognizing the gesture, Cotton smiled and nodded, then extended two of her pinion feathers through the door so Raven could see them.

With a smirk, Raven tilted her head in the direction of the room, then motioned a hoof to the other side of the box, where a few unused seats were situated. While the quill continued its writing as if it had its own set of ears, she raised a hoof to her muzzle and silently shushed the four girls.

Cotton mouthed a thank-you, then waved Daisy, Flarechaser, and Harmony through the door, all of them moving on the tips of their hooves. After she quietly and ever-so-slowly closed the door, Cotton turned and saw Celestia smirking and giving her the side-eye, all the while still continuing her conversation with the stallion in front of her.

Rubbing the back of her head as she blushed, Cotton moved to sit beside her friends. But Celestia had other ideas.

“I see my niece has come to observe the proceedings. Perhaps we should ask for her input,” she said.

Cotton internally rolled her eyes, then stepped up to the rail separating the box from the rest of the room. “If you wish for my opinion, Aunt Celestia, I would be happy to offer it,” she recited, as she’d done multiple times. “What is this fine stallion’s request?”

Celestia smirked again, then motioned for Cotton to come toward her. “Why don’t you come up here and sit with me, Cotton?” She patted the throne with Twilight’s cutie mark emblazoned at the top. “I’m sure your aunt wouldn’t mind if you borrowed her… chair.” Cotton flinched, then she saw her aunt’s horn glow very faintly and heard the familiar voice in her head. Why don’t we give your friends a bit of a show, hmm?

Her eyes widening, Cotton replied, “Uh, if that would be your preference, Aunt Celestia.” She turned to her friends, all of whom were wearing open-mouthed grins and waving Cotton in the direction of the throne. She let out a quiet snort, then saw another glow out of the corner of her eye. On the side of the seating box, a portion of the rail had opened as if on a hinge, giving Cotton an easy path to Twilight’s throne. She cocked a brow as she looked at it.

No, it hasn’t always been there, Cotton heard Celestia say in her head. And it won’t be after you step through it.

Cotton could hear Celestia giggling, but couldn’t see it on her face. It was the kind, diplomatic smile that Celestia always wore in court. Cotton let out a sigh as she gracefully stepped through the gap in the rail to head toward Twilight’s throne, then the rail closed and reattached itself. I’m never playing poker with you, Auntie, Cotton thought.

As Cotton sat beside her on Twilight’s throne, Celestia addressed the dark green stallion before them. “Mr. Line, this is my niece, Cotton Candy. I assure you that her input has always been fair in this court, so I would like to ask her opinion.”

As Celestia looked down to her, Cotton got in the first word. “I apologize if it is an inconvenience, Aunt Celestia…” She turned her attention to the stallion. “…but would you mind stating your request from the beginning again, sir? I wouldn’t want to offer an opinion without knowing all the facts.”

The stallion shook his head. “Not at all, Miss Co— uh, Your High— uh…”

Cotton could see the stallion’s sweat dripping down his forehead. She let out a very royal chuckle. “‘Miss Cotton’ is just fine, sir.”

Celestia tapped Cotton gently on her leg. As the two gave each other sideways glances, Celestia said, You’re such a hypocrite. Cotton managed to take a page from her aunt’s book and kept her giggling internal.

“Thank you, Miss Cotton,” Mr. Line said, letting out a sigh. “I must admit, I’m disappointed I could not catch you with my namesake as I did the Princess.”

Cotton tilted her head. “I’m sorry?”

Celestia chuckled. “This is Punch Line, Cotton. When I asked him to ‘start from the beginning’ he began talking about windigos.”

“Yes, but you specified my request,” Punch Line clarified.

Cotton smiled. “Well, you can’t win ‘em all, Mr. Line.”

“Clearly not,” he responded with a smile of his own. Then he cleared his throat. “My apologies; back to the matter at hoof. I’m here today to request additional police. You see, our community on the east side of Central Canterlot has been… well, as my wife puts it, ‘plagued with ruffians’ as of late.”

Cotton couldn’t help but laugh. “My mother would have appreciated your wife’s choice of words, Mr. Line.” When Punch Line tilted his head at her, she said, “My late adoptive mother, Lady Rarity. Please, continue.”

Shaking the disbelief out of his eyes, he said, “Yes, well… Whoever these ponies are, they’ve been spraying graffiti on our homes, throwing toilet tissue over our trees, and all other manner of damage and vandalism during the night. We don’t even know why. We believe it may be a gang of teenagers, perhaps with a grudge of some kind, but none of us are certain.” Cotton’s eyes widened slightly. “Our local police officers have had no luck. Thus, I am here on behalf of my community to request the aid of the Royal Guard. Though frankly, given the size of our little neighborhood, a single guard would be plenty.” After a few moments, he finished, “Those are all the facts I can provide, Miss Cotton. Everything else is circumstantial.”

“…I see. Thank you, Mr. Line,” Cotton said. “If you would, please confirm for me: you said this is only happening during the night?”

“That is indeed the case, Miss Cotton,” Punch Line replied.

Cotton sighed. “That’s what I feared. This decision may be out of my Aunt Celestia’s jurisdiction; your request would require a noctis guard, and they are under my Aunt Luna’s command. The decision would be up to her. If you could give us a moment to deliberate…”

His brows having risen a bit, Punch Line nodded. “Of course, Miss Cotton.”

“Thank you.”

Cotton looked up at Princess Celestia, who sported a wide grin. She lit her horn once again. Cotton, I’m incredibly impressed. That was exactly my train of thought. Perhaps I should turn the court over to you.

Thank you, Auntie, but not now. I think I may know who’s causing these problems.

Celestia’s eyes widened a hair. Really?

Cotton nodded. Yeah. Mr. Line is from Central Canterlot. East side. That’s not that far from my old elementary school.

Celestia's brows furrowed. You think this might be—

One of my old bullies, yes, Cotton answered. I remember at my birthday party last year—my friend Aegis mentioned that he was in a gang. This situation fits the bill almost perfectly. If it is him, Aunt Luna would have no issue sending one of her guards to keep watch. He’s the one that… well, do you remember the furnace room incident?

Celestia narrowed her eyes. I do… I’m very lucky you were here for this case, Cotton. But that doesn’t change the fact that the noctii are indeed under Luna’s jurisdiction. We can’t give Mr. Line an affirmative without Luna’s say-so. Our hooves are tied.

Maybe at the moment, Cotton responded, but we can at least say that while it isn’t our call to make right now, he can rest easy knowing that an affirmative is likely. If Aunt Luna wouldn’t have given it herself, she would’ve done it for me, anyway, Cotton finished with a smirk.

Celestia chuckled under her breath. Yes, even after five years, you’ve still got us all wrapped around your hoof, don’t you? Cotton blushed as she shrugged her shoulders. Alright. Well, you examined this case; you should give the final verdict. You’ve certainly earned that right.

With a smile, Cotton responded, Thanks, Auntie. This time I can actually do some good other than just saying ‘yes.’ By the way… Cotton looked around Celestia’s wing and pointed at her legrest. Can I have the gavel?

Celestia smiled and nodded, then hovered the gavel to Cotton’s side. Their conversation over, Celestia dropped her aura and ended their telepathic link.

Cotton cleared her throat as she faced forward. “Mr. Line, after some deliberation, my aunt and I have come to some conclusions. First and foremost, we agree that this case is under my Aunt Luna’s jurisdiction, so unfortunately, we cannot give you an affirmative for your request at this time.”

Punch Line sighed. “I understand.”

“However,” Cotton continued, “given the location of your residence, and the fact that I happen to be familiar with that general vicinity of Central Canterlot, I have a suspicion as to who your culprit might be.”

“…Really?” Punch Line asked.

“Yes,” Cotton replied with a nod. “If my suspicions are correct, then you are indeed dealing with a gang. I cannot make long-term decisions on my aunt Luna’s behalf, but I can speak to her about sending a guard to patrol your neighborhood for a short trial period. If she approves, you should have a visit from one of her guards within the next few days. She may also be willing to extend that patrol time if necessary. That’s our decision.” She picked up the gavel in her hoof and slammed it on her legrest, causing a loud thwack to reverberate throughout the throne room. As she realized she'd forgotten about the sounding block, she glanced over at her friends and found them smiling, with Daisy covering her muzzle to stifle her laughter.

The stallion smiled. “Wow. Princess Celestia was right; you are incredibly fair, Miss Cotton. Frankly I’m surprised you don’t have your own tiara.”

Celestia and Cotton both chuckled, and Cotton imitated her aunt’s diplomatic smile. “Thank you, Mr. Line, but this is not a full-time affair for me.”

“Well then, I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors,” Punch Line said, bowing to them both. “Thank you very much, Miss Cotton. Your Highness. Have a good evening.”

“You as well, Mr. Line,” Celestia responded. “Please leave your residency information with the court clerk so my sister can contact you.”

Punch Line nodded. “Absolutely, Your Highness. Thank you again.” He then made his way back to the throne room’s doors.

The bailiff, levitating up a scroll, stepped up from beside the long line of ponies. “Next petitioner: Mrs. Slip Stitch.”

An elderly, wheat-coated unicorn mare stepped forward, with a thin, younger unicorn colt with a bright red coat by her side. She nodded to the bailiff, and simply said, “Thank you, sir.” The guard nodded back, then waved at the colt to stand beside him. The colt looked up at the mare, clearly worried. She smiled at him, waved in the direction of the guard, and told the colt, “Don’t worry, YoYo, you can trust him. Gramma needs to talk with the Princess. And her niece.” The colt looked up at Cotton, then nodded and trudged to the guard’s side. The guard smiled at the colt, then lightly patted him on the shoulder. The colt seemed to relax at the light contact, sitting on his haunches and smiling at Cotton in the process.

Before the mare made it in front of the thrones, Celestia turned to Cotton and lit her horn again. Would you be up for another case? After your last one, I wouldn’t mind giving you more to take on by yourself, she chuckled, then glanced at the bailiff. It also seems your presence up here is putting that colt’s mind at ease.

Cotton turned and looked down at the colt, also smiling. Okay, one more. But I do wanna go hang out with my friends after this. Do you mind?

Not at all, Cotton, Celestia replied. You did come here willingly, after all. I can’t make you stay. Though I do appreciate your help.

Of course, Auntie, Cotton responded, as Slip Stitch approached the thrones.

“Good afternoon, Your Highness. Miss Cotton. Yes, I heard you before,” she said with a smile.

“Good afternoon, Mrs. Stitch,” Celestia responded. “What matter do you wish to discuss with the court today?”

The mare sighed. “Well, I’m rather embarrassed to come to you about this, Your Highness, but… I’m here to ask for a loan.”

Both Celestia’s and Cotton’s eyes widened. “Oh?” Celestia said.

Cotton discreetly poked Celestia in the leg, and she lightly lit her horn. Aunt Celestia, isn’t she just supposed to go to a bank for that?

Yes, Celestia replied. You might want to leave this case to me, Cotton. I have a feeling it may be a little more complicated than we’re assuming.

All you, Auntie. I’ll just sit and watch this one go down.

Good idea. Celestia turned to the mare once again. “Mrs. Stitch, you didn’t need to wait on this line to look for a loan. It would have been much simpler for you if you had gone to a bank.”

“I’ve done that already, Your Highness. More than once. None of the banks in my district have accepted my applications.”

Celestia cocked a brow. “Really? That’s certainly strange. Is there any reason your applications have been denied? Do you have a criminal record?”

Mrs. Stitch shook her head. “None, Your Highness. I’m clean as a whistle. I’ve paid my taxes on time, there have been no cases of fraud… I frankly don’t understand what the issue is.”

“Hmm. Are you creditworthy?” Celestia asked.

“Yes, Your Highness,” the mare responded. “I’m rather frugal as it is, but between my son’s salary and my late husband’s pension, we always have enough to meet our minimum payments every month. My son’s loan applications are being denied as well; we just don’t have enough for the project I need to fund right now. And it’s rather urgent.”

Celestia tilted her head. “Mrs. Stitch, is there any chance…” She glanced at the colt. “…that is your grandson, correct?”

Mrs. Stitch nodded and smiled at the colt before looking back at Celestia. “Yes, that’s my eight-year-old grandson, YoYo. His father is at work, so I needed to bring him with me.”

Celestia smiled at the colt as well. “Good afternoon, YoYo.” He shrank back slightly and blushed before giving her a little wave.

Then Celestia turned back to the mare. “The court apologizes for asking this, but is there any chance that your son, or even YoYo, may have a criminal record?”

Mrs. Stitch’s eyes widened a moment, but she shook her head. “No apology necessary, Your Highness. And not that I’m aware of.”

“Hmm. Why do you need a loan so urgently?” Celestia asked.

Mrs. Stitch sighed again. “I need to renovate my kitchen, Your Highness.”

Celestia and Cotton looked at each other, confused, before Celestia turned back to the mare. “Mrs. Stitch, the court apologizes if this sounds callous, but… how is a kitchen renovation urgent?”

“That was how the bankers reacted, too,” Mrs. Stitch replied, “and they wouldn’t listen to me any further. The reason it’s urgent is because it has become a health hazard for my family. The plumbing is rusting, which caused a pipe to burst in the wall last month, so the electricity stopped working… and some of the walls are growing mold.” She pointed to her grandson, sitting beside the guard. “I know for a fact that YoYo should not be breathing that in. Nor should my son or I.”

“Do you have insurance?” Celestia asked.

“The insurance company wants to send out an inspector… another one,” Mrs. Stitch replied with suppressed fury.

Celestia nodded. “That is indeed a very different situation. How large of a loan are you wishing to take out?”

“I’ve done some price-checking, Your Highness,” Mrs. Stitch answered. “Based on even the least expensive contractors and companies I’ve found that will work as quickly as possible while still providing a high-quality result, the least I would need for the renovation itself is fifteen-thousand bits. If they were willing to take payment in increments this wouldn’t be an issue, but all parties involved are demanding full payment before the start of the project, and we don’t have enough to do that and still maintain our day-to-day expenses right now.”

“Hmm.” Celestia furrowed her brows slightly. “That’s certainly reasonable. I don’t understand why the banks wouldn’t accept an application for that.”

“Neither do I, Your Highness,” Mrs. Stitch responded, her voice cracking, “and the biggest problem is that none of our neighbors have room to house us temporarily, now or while the work would be done. We’ve had to stay elsewhere. There is… somewhat affordable temporary housing near our neighborhood, but we would barely have enough bits to be able to eat if we continue to stay there for too long, even with a loan. Unfortunately, it’s our only option. Increasing the loan to eighteen-thousand bits would make it much easier to cover everything, but if I won’t be approved for fifteen-thousand bits, there’s no chance I’d be approved for eighteen-thousand,” Mrs. Stitch finished in a rush, as if the words had burst forth like water from a broken dam.

Celestia pursed her lips. “That is indeed a predicament. Well, I make a point not to go against the protocols of the banks that I myself have established, but what I can do is speak to the representatives you have approached and ask them why you have been denied for these applications. Hopefully that will change their minds. Going through the process will take some time, though, so you will need to continue staying in the temporary housing where you are currently residing until it is completed.”

Mrs. Stitch sighed. “I understand, Your Highness. Thank you very much for your help.” She bowed, but after a moment, Cotton heard her mumble under her breath, “Another day, another week of groceries gone…” With that, she waved for YoYo to return to her. He looked up briefly at the guard, then galloped back to his grandmother’s side, then both of them began walking to the exit.

Cotton frowned, then poked Celestia in the leg again. As Celestia looked down at her, she lit her horn. Yes, Cotton? Did you want to say something about this?

Yeah, can you stop her? Cotton answered.

Celestia nodded. “Mrs. Stitch!” she called.

The old mare and colt both jumped, then turned back around. Mrs. Stitch asked, “Y-yes, Your Highness?”

“It seems my niece would like to deliberate with me about your case before you leave. Could you please remain here a little longer?”

“Uh, of course, Your Highness. We can stay as long as you need.”

“Thank you.” As Mrs. Stitch returned to her place in front of the thrones, YoYo beside her, Celestia turned to Cotton. What is it, Cotton? We really can’t hold the line for too long.

Isn’t there something else we can do? Cotton asked.

Celestia sighed. Not really, Cotton. I’ve given the banks the authority over distributing loans. Unless there’s something fishy going on at the banks—and believe me, I will see if that’s the case—having a conversation with them is the best I can do. It isn’t like we can give her a loan straight from the royal coffers.

Why not? Cotton asked. Assuming what she said is true, she’d clearly be reliable to pay the loan back. Besides, didn’t you hear what she just said? One day of living in this so-called ‘affordable’ housing costs her a week’s worth of groceries! She and her family will starve if we don’t do something fast! And look at YoYo! She glanced at the colt briefly. He already looks skinnier than he should be. Even for an eight-year-old.

Celestia sighed. I’m aware, Cotton, but that would set a terrible precedent. Ponies would stop going to the banks and come to us for loans instead. If we denied them, there would be outrage, and if we kept giving them, the economy would… well, the last term I heard from this generation is that it would ‘tank.’

Screw precedents! Cotton cried internally, her eyebrows furrowing. We need to do something!

Celestia let out a breath. Cotton, are you really suggesting we give her a direct loan from the Royal Family? I can’t say yes to her in court.

Cotton took her own calming breath. Then tell her to come back tonight and have a private meeting. You can tell her then. That way she gets what she needs, and the rest of Canterlot doesn’t assume that the Royal Family is their new personal piggy bank.

And what if she gushes about the generosity of the Royals? The meeting’s secrecy would be pointless.

Then I’ll take full responsibility and do anything I can to make it right, no matter what it takes, Cotton responded. Even if I have to work for every pony in Canterlot for a year, if not longer. You can’t let the fear of being taken advantage of keep you from being generous. What would my mom’ve said?

Celestia sighed with a smile. …Beaten by a teenager. Alright, let’s just hope this doesn’t come back to bite us in our flanks.

Thanks, Auntie, Cotton said with a smile.

Turning back to the elderly mare, Celestia said, “Mrs. Stitch, my niece has suggested another approach regarding your request. If you would, we would like to meet with you in private tonight.”

Mrs. Stitch nodded rapidly. “Yes, Your Highness, absolutely! Please, just tell me where and when!”

Celestia nodded in return. “Simply return here at… let’s say seven o’clock. We can discuss from there.”

“Absolutely, Your Highness,” the mare said, bowing. She then turned to Cotton and bowed to her as well. “Thank you, Miss Cotton.”

Cotton simply smiled. “You’re welcome.” As Mrs. Stitch left, Cotton tapped Celestia’s leg once again, and Celestia lit her horn. Sorry about that, Auntie. Something about her situation just kind of… struck a nerve.

I can’t fault you for that, Cotton. Believe me, there are plenty of requests I’ve had to decline despite my feelings in order to maintain harmony in our society. I’ve had to repress my passion in cases like that. Celestia smiled. But you hold no such restraint.

Rubbing the back of her head, Cotton replied, Uhh… thanks?

Celestia chuckled. Yes, it was meant to be a compliment. She looked over at Raven’s box, where Flarechaser, Daisy, and Harmony sat staring at Cotton, their muzzles agape. I believe you wanted to go spend time with your friends?

“Oh!” Cotton flinched as she broke from their telepathic link, finding herself speaking aloud. She turned around and looked at her friends for a moment, then looked at her aunt with a blush. “Thanks, Auntie,” she whispered.

Celestia leaned down and nuzzled her. “Absolutely, Cotton,” she whispered back. “Thank you for your help today. I would actually love it if you came in more often.”

“We’ll see,” Cotton giggled. “I’ll see you later!” She gracefully lifted herself from Twilight’s throne and walked back toward Raven’s box.

Celestia lit her horn again, opening the railing once more to let Cotton through before shutting it behind her.

As Cotton opened the door to the box to go back into the castle proper, she pushed her friends out, waved at her aunt, then gave Raven a hug and whispered something in her ear. Raven smiled and gave Cotton a brief nuzzle before the filly walked out and quietly shut the door behind her.

Celestia chuckled, then lit her horn again. More cookies, eh, Raven?

Raven smirked. Perhaps, Your Highness.

Perhaps?

Perhaps two trays, Your Highness.

Celestia smiled. Are you going to share?

With a shrug, Raven replied, …Perhaps.

“Next petitioner: Prince Blueblood the Third.”

Raven sighed. Here we go again, Your Highness.

This is the sixth time ‘Blueballs’ has sent his grandson here in the last two months. Do you think he’ll ever get the hint?

Not likely, Your Highness.

Author's Note:
PreviousChapters Next