• Published 12th Sep 2013
  • 2,381 Views, 36 Comments

My Little Doctor Whooves: Horsing Around - comicfan616



The Doctor crashes his TARDIS on the planet Equus and meets some new friends.

  • ...
2
 36
 2,381

Bigger on the Inside

After the meal, Celestia collected the Elements of Harmony from the six ponies, reasoning that, for the moment at least, the Doctor did not seem to be an immediate threat. Once that was done, the six mares and their alien companion headed back to Mane Street. Celestia sent her messenger ahead to replace the Elements and relieve the on-duty guards.

As they walked down the road toward the alley, they heard a voice. “Twilight!” The voice was feminine and seemed both young but mature at the same time. Everyone turned and saw a pink alicorn with a heart-shaped crystal on her flank and dressed similarly to Celestia.

“Cadence!” Twilight shouted back. She ran over to the alicorn. The two mares started skipping in place, quickly followed by covering their eyes with their hooves for a split second.

“Sunshine, sunshine! Ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves and do a little shake!”

As they chanted, they clapped their hooves together and shook their tails at each other.

The Doctor looked at the scene with confusion. “What was that all about?” he asked.

Rarity answered, “That, Doctor, is Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, better known to friends and family as Cadence, formerly Twilight’s foalsitter, currently her sister-in-law and princess of the Crystal Empire.”

The Doctor wasn’t expecting so detailed an explanation, especially not with these details. “Talk about friends in high places,” he whispered to himself.

“What are you doing here?” Twilight asked Cadence.

“Shining Armor needs a new tuxedo,” Cadence answered. “We’re expecting some important guests at the Crystal Empire in a couple of weeks. But everything there is too… glittery for Shiny’s tastes. Although, to be fair, crystal suits against a normal unicorn do clash a bit. I left him at the store more than a half-hour ago, but he’s still not done yet.”

“Well, you know how Shiny is,” Twilight said. “Everything kinda looks the same to him. If I had to guess, I’d say he’s looking for something that won’t result in a night on the couch.”

“Twilight!” Cadence scolded playfully. “I’m shocked you think I would do such a thing!”

“Are you denying it?”

“Of course not.” They both laughed. Cadence turned to look at the others. Her eyes soon focused on the Doctor.

“Oh! I’m sorry,” she said. “I don’t believe we’ve met before.” Twilight flinched slightly.

“Not to worry, my dear,” he replied. “Though since you’ve brought it up, I guess introductions are in order. I am Doctor Clockwork, professor of history. And these ladies have already told me your name, Your Highness.”

“Please, call me Cadence. So what brings you here, Doctor?”

“I’m looking for a place of employment,” the Doctor answered. “I thought I’d try Canterlot University. These ladies offered to show me around the city.”

“I would have expected nothing less from Twilight,” Cadence said. “Even before she started making friends, she was enthusiastic about school. It makes sense she would want to help out an aspiring teacher.” Twilight smiled sheepishly.

“Well, nice meeting you, Doctor, but I have a husband to find.” Cadence walked down the street away from the group, who proceeded to go their own way.

Applejack decided to strike up a conversation. “You sure belted that one out in a hurry,” she said to the Doctor.

“Beg your pardon?” he replied.

“What you told Cadence back there,” she explained. “Sounded like you were rehearsin’ it fer days.”

“Well, Princess Celestia told me to pick an alias, but I hadn’t prepared my long term one quite yet. That was all spur-of-the-moment. And now I hope I haven’t gotten into the whole pony pun thing you lot have going on here.”

“You mean you just pulled that out of your hat?” Rainbow asked.

“Pretty detailed too,” Twilight added.

“I process information quickly,” he said frankly.

“But how would you know about Canterlot University?” Twilight asked. “You aren’t even from here!”

“I already told you, I know the basic stuff about each planet. Although what I term ‘basic,’ you may call detailed notes. And I can only assume you’re familiar with the city layout, since you’re so familiar with the princess and all, so the whole thing about being my guides wouldn’t sound too farfetched.”

“You accounted for everything in only a few seconds?” Twilight asked in awe.

“I know, I’m really getting slow in my old age,” the Doctor replied. Most of the others’ faces had a cross between a smirk and a gaping mouth at his apparent confidence.

It wasn’t long after the conversation was finished that they finally reached the alley where the TARDIS was located. The guards had already gone, so it was just them and the box in that alley. “So, ladies,” the Doctor said, “now that we’re here, perhaps you’d like to take a firsthand look inside the TARDIS?”

“First-what?” Applejack asked.

The Doctor looked puzzled for a moment but quickly figured out what she meant. “Erm, a firsthoof look inside the TARDIS. I’ll never get used to that.”

“Don’t know what else there is to see,” Rainbow said. “I mean, as big as it is, it looks kinda small.”

“I can estimate maybe two or three ponies could stand side by side along the bottom,” Twilight said.

“Hate to tell you this, Miss Sparkle,” the Doctor said, “but you’re way off. Come on in.” He grabbed the right door handle and pushed. The door swung open and revealed the room inside.

A very large room.

The six mares stepped inside and marveled at the impossibility of the size that was contained in such a small box. Fluttershy looked around nervously, almost scared of this contradiction of basic knowledge. Rarity nearly fainted, her fall broken by Twilight. Even Pinkie Pie was rendered speechless.

After nearly a minute of staring, Twilight spoke first. “I don’t believe it.”

“This can’t be real,” Rainbow said next.

“Mah ahs are playin’ tricks on me,” Applejack said, blinking a few times.

Pinkie finally spoke, saying aloud what was on all their minds. “It’s bigger on the inside!”

“New planet, same outbursts,” the Doctor said to himself. “Proof that the universe is consistent, if nothing else.”

“But how is this possible?” Twilight demanded. “What kind of magic could do this?”

“No magic, my dear,” the Doctor answered, “just a link between two dimensions in space. Now, if that’s all the questions you have, just let me input the proper coordinates and we’ll head for Ponyville immediately.” He moved toward the computer and prepared to type into it… only to remember something important. “No fingers.” He looked around the dashboard and found his sonic screwdriver. He reached over and picked it up. “And yet I can still hold stuff.” As he turned on the screwdriver, he continued, “I’m starting to realize that this new form might be difficult for the first few days or so.”

“What do you mean?” Rarity asked.

“Mainly the fact that I don’t have fingers anymore. I mean, I can work the computer just fine with the sonic, but it’ll take some getting used to.”

“The what?” Rainbow asked.

“My sonic screwdriver.” The Doctor held the device up for all to see.

“A sonic… screwdriver?” Twilight asked. “How is that even supposed to be a thing?”

“Oh, please, you would not believe the kinds of things that can be fitted with sonic devices: pens, blasters, lipstick, you name it. You know, this reminds me, I’ll have to find a way to carry it with me. Never go anywhere without this thing. It’s like my American Express.”

“Yer what?” Applejack asked.

“Erm, never mind. I’ll just work out the whole ‘carrying things’ angle later.” The computer suddenly beeped. “Ah, there we go. Now, for your safety, you all might want to hold on to something. First trips are always a bit bumpy.” He started moving around the console, pressing buttons, turning a crank, grabbing a mallet and hitting the console in a few spots, and ending it all by holding down a lever.

The six mares all held on to the fence around the center of the TARDIS, watching with curiosity. As soon as the lever was pulled, they started to jerk around like the entire structure was being tossed. The long tube-like structure in the center was making some odd whirring noises. Twilight could only assume one thing: the TARDIS was moving.

And then it stopped. Almost a half-minute after it started, the movements and noises began to slow down to nothing. “And there we are.”

“What?” Rainbow asked.

“Ponyville,” the Doctor answered. “We’re there.”

“But we can’t be,” Twilight said. “We only just started moving.”

“And yet…” The Doctor walked up to the doors and opened them.

The scene outside was much too different to be a Canterlot street. In fact, it looked like the inside of a house. There was plenty of scientific equipment everywhere, yet the area didn’t look too cluttered. The walls were made of wood and almost looked like the inside of a tree. There was also a set of stairs leading up to a door.

“Hey, wait a minute!” Twilight said suddenly. “This is my basement!”

“Is it really?” the Doctor asked. “I just picked a remote area to land the TARDIS, and what could be more remote than the basement of a library where the librarian seems to be out for the day? Wait, you’re the librarian?”

“I live here and run the place, if that’s what you’re asking. But we couldn’t have been moving more than maybe ten yards. How did we—?”

“What the hay?!” a voice called out. It sounded muffled. The door opened and a small, purple dragon ran into the room. He looked down at the basement and the TARDIS with its passengers.

“Hi, Spike.” Twilight waved slightly. “We’re back.”

“So I see,” Spike replied. He stared for a few more seconds before talking again. “You do realize this is gonna take some explaining, right?”

“I’m well aware of that,” Twilight said. This is gonna be good, she grimaced.


“So let me get this straight,” Spike said. “You’re supposed to be a pony from outer space?” The entire group had left the basement and were now in the library’s lobby.

“Oh, we could argue the finer points of that statement all day,” the Doctor replied. “But essentially, yes.”

“He says he’s going to stay for a bit so he can rest up after the crash,” Twilight said.

“And while I’m resting, I’ve got certain things to think about,” the Doctor added.

“Like what?” Applejack asked.

“A great many things, like how do I function as a pony now, what’s the first thing I should do once I’m back on my feet, but first and foremost is the personal effects storage situation.”

“You mean that muttering to yourself about your screwdriver?” Rainbow said.

“Yes. Exactly that. What I really need is pockets. With those, I can at least carry my more useful things. And unless Equestrians have some sort of pouch in their flank that can act as a pocket, I’ve run out of ideas.”

“Leave it to me, Doctor,” Rarity said. Before the Doctor could respond, she was already shoving him out the door. “We shall head to my boutique posthaste.”

“Boutique? Wha—?” the Doctor started, but he was at a loss for words at the unicorn’s adamant attitude. Everyone else just watched, also unsure of how to react to the events unfolding before them.