• Published 12th Sep 2013
  • 2,381 Views, 36 Comments

My Little Doctor Whooves: Horsing Around - comicfan616



The Doctor crashes his TARDIS on the planet Equus and meets some new friends.

  • ...
2
 36
 2,381

Pony Diet

No one expected the Doctor to last very long on his hooves. Luckily, Twilight already had Fluttershy and Pinkie take either side of him so that whenever he stumbled, they would be able to support him and get him back up. Aside from these almost frequent interruptions, he was able to stay up the whole way to the castle.

While they walked, some of the ponies tried starting a conversation with the Doctor. “So where are you from?” Pinkie began.

“That is actually a very long story,” the Doctor replied, “one that would probably best be saved for when we meet the princess herself.”

“How do you even know about the princess?” Rarity asked. “Have you been here before?”

“First time, actually,” he answered. “But as a traveler of the cosmos, I make it a point to know the basics. I’ve always meant to come to this planet, just never got around to it. It’s so fascinating.”

“What’s so ‘fascinating’ about us?” Twilight said. “I mean, for all the weird stuff that’s happened so far, you still look pretty normal otherwise. I can’t imagine things would be too different.”

“Hmm, let me guess,” the Doctor mused, “you haven’t started a formal space program yet, have you? No real clue what’s out there?”

“We do have a few scholars in the field,” Twilight said, “but it’s still in the early stages of development, not a truly recognized science. A lot of ponies still say there’s really nothing else out there.”

“Well, I think we just proved them wrong,” Rainbow pointed out.

“Indeed,” the Doctor concurred. “Anyway, to answer your question, Twilight, the first thing about your planet is that it’s geocentric.”

“Gee-oh-what-now?” Applejack asked.

“Geocentric,” Twilight replied. “It means the sun moves around us.”

“But out of the millions upon millions of worlds out there,” the Doctor continued, “such planets are a minority. A fraction of a minority, really. In the case of Equus, I have a feeling it may be due to the strong connection with pure magic energies.”

“Equus?” Rainbow asked. “What the hay is that?”

“Well, that’s the name of this planet,” the Doctor explained. He just received some confused looks. “You didn’t know that? How could you not? You live here.”

“Like I said, Doctor,” Twilight explained, “there’s no real space program yet. We haven’t had a need to formally identify ourselves to whatever else may be out there.”

“Right,” the Doctor said slowly. “But back on topic, your use of this energy you call ‘magic,’ that’s something that many of the cleverest races are still trying to figure out and harness. Puzzles me too, to be quite honest.”

“What?” Twilight stopped walking and turned back to the Doctor. “Doesn’t everypony have access to magic in some way?”

“Only for entertainment in children’s birthday parties,” he answered, “and even then, it’s just illusions, all smoke and mirrors, a minor form of deception, and did you really just say ‘everypony’?”

“Yeah,” Twilight said. “What’s wrong with that?”

“Quite honestly, I’m not sure whether I should laugh at your language development or put my hoof to my face.”

“What’s wrong with it?” Rarity asked. “I’ll have you know it is a commonly accepted word within Equestrian grammar.”

“Some others might call it a bad pun on the more common word ‘everybody’,” the Doctor said.

“That just sounds… weird,” Rainbow said.

“Could we discuss this later?” Twilight interrupted. “We’re almost at the castle and I’d rather have the Doctor off his hooves as soon as possible.” The group continued walking. True to Twilight’s word, the castle was really close now.

Soon, they approached the gates. Twilight looked at the guards expectantly. “Her Majesty requests your presence in the dining hall,” one of them said. Twilight nodded and continued to lead the way.

The group walked to a large doorway that Twilight knew led to the dining hall. Celestia was waiting just outside.

“Welcome back, everyone,” she said. She turned to the only new face in the group. “And you must be this Doctor I’ve heard about.”

“A pleasure to make your acquaintance as well,” the Doctor returned. “I can safely assume that you are Princess Celestia?”

“You can,” Celestia said. “If my messenger is correct, you must be hungry. Please follow me.” Her horn lit up and the doors were surrounded in a golden aura. The Doctor watched in amazement as the doors opened seemingly by themselves.

“My first real contact with actual, honest-to-goodness magic,” he whispered in awe. “Used to open doors as though it’s commonplace.”

“Who cares about the doors, Doc?” Rainbow said. “Check out that spread!” The Doctor looked into the room; the table was a rather modest size, but the amount of food set upon it was quite the opposite. There were apples, sandwiches, salads, and several other dishes that all looked appetizing.

“I’ve made sure there would be enough for everyone,” Celestia said, “so you’re all welcome to partake.”

“Don’t have to tell me twice!” Pinkie said. She rushed over to table and started eating almost immediately.

“Pinkie, save some for us!” Twilight chided. She and the others went to the table as well.

The Doctor’s observations about the food being appetizing turned out to be true. This in itself was amazing because some of the foods were things he wouldn’t have thought of even trying before. There were chips that seemed to be made out of hay, the sandwiches had daisies as the filling, and the frosting flowers on the cake were actual roses. The weird thing was that he never noticed these facts until the food was already in his mouth. Probably another instinct thing for me being a pony.

When the food was halfway gone, Celestia spoke up. “So, Doctor, I have a few questions for you.” Her voice was calm and curious.

“Of course, milady,” the Doctor replied.

“If my messenger was accurate, he says that you admitted to being an alien,” Celestia began. “Rather quickly too, I might add.”

“Well, given the circumstances behind our encounter, I really didn’t see a need to hide it.”

“Perhaps,” she said, “but I think it would be best if you took on an alias for the remainder of your stay. The appearance of your… TARDIS, I think it was called, has put several ponies on edge already.”

“Understandable,” the Doctor affirmed. “I’ll think on a few ideas.”

“So, if you’re an alien,” Rainbow said, “how come you look like a regular old earth pony?”

“Well, if I had the choice, and since I’ve seen magic for the first time in my life, I’d rather be a unicorn. Maybe next time.”

There was an awkward silence around the table; even Celestia didn’t know what to think about the Doctor’s answer. Finally, Applejack said, “That s’posed t’ be a joke?”

“No.” There was another pause. “You see, ladies, I’m not really a pony. I may look like a pony, I may act like a pony, and surprisingly enough, for me at least, I may even have the diet of a pony. But I am not actually a pony, biologically speaking. I am a Time Lord, born and raised on the planet Gallifrey.”

“Time Lord? Gallopfrey” Twilight repeated.

“Yes, Time Lord. The name itself should give you a sense of what I can do. And no, Gallifrey, with an ‘i,’ not an ‘op.’ Anyway, the reason I look like a pony is because, well, for lack of a simpler way to put this, I died.” Another silence followed. “Are you going to be quiet every time I say something?”

“Wow,” Pinkie said. “For a dead pony, you look pretty good.” She was still as cheery as ever, this latest fact bothering her minimally, if at all.

“Thank you, Pinkie Pie,” the Doctor returned. “I guess no matter what I look like, I am still of the ‘handsome’ persuasion.”

“Um, darling,” Rarity said, “not to interrupt your neighcissistic moment, but could you please tell us what exactly you mean by ‘you died’?”

“Technically, my species can look like anything,” the Doctor answered. “Whenever a Time Lord… expires, what usually happens is the cells in our bodies heal and reformat, essentially giving us a new life. But in the process, the appearance changes and the personality is tweaked a bit, usually based on the circumstances. I mean, before this, I looked like a creature called a human: two legs, two arms, five fingers on each hand, essentially a smart monkey.” He was about to continue but stopped for a second.

“Hang on,” he said, looking at Rarity. “Did you just say ‘neighcissistic’? First ‘everypony’ and now this? I mean city names, I can understand, but casual conversation?”

“So what you’re saying is,” Celestia interrupted, “you died in the crash and now you look like an average pony?”

“Fine, let’s talk about my death and not the puns,” the Doctor whispered. “Actually, Your Highness, I died before the crash. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have crashed in the first place. I must have been over your planet when I started feeling the effects.”

“You weren’t hurt, were you?” Fluttershy asked.

“Prior the crash, I had been dealing with a rather nasty creature. To make a long story short, she poisoned me, but I didn’t notice until it was too late.”

“Oh, you poor thing,” Fluttershy said.

“Hey, like I said, the regeneration process takes care of all that. Though would have liked it better if I hadn’t died in the first place. But even I can’t change the past.”

“Sorry to hear of your troubles, Doctor,” Celestia said. “It seems we can reasonably assume that your coming to Equestria was merely an accident.”

“Sorry if I caused any trouble,” the Doctor said. “I’ll just need about a day to collect myself and I’ll be on my way.”

“Ooh! Ooh!” Pinkie exclaimed. “You can stay with us in Ponyville!”

“Really?” the Doctor asked. “You wouldn’t mind?”

“It is a quiet place mosta the time,” Applejack said. “Ah’d recommend it for a peaceful weekend if anypony asked.”

“I think that’s a splendid idea,” Celestia said. “I’ll arrange for your transportation as soon as we’re done here.”

“Very kind of you, Your Highness,” the Doctor said. “But with all due respect, I’d rather take the TARDIS there. It’ll be much faster and you won’t have to waste any ma… erm, horsepower.”

“But didn’t it crash?” Rainbow pointed out.

“That depends; how long has it been there?”

“Since this morning,” Twilight replied.

“The TARDIS has self-recovery systems if anything should happen to it, so long as it’s not too extensive,” he explained. “I’d be very surprised if I couldn’t get it across the planet by now, much less to this Ponyville.”

“Then you may leave whenever you’re ready, Doctor,” Celestia said.

“Just let me try a bit more of this food,” he said. “This is my first time eating an equine diet, and I don’t want to miss out on the experience. Tell me, these cookies, are they oatmeal?”

“Just plain oats, actually,” Applejack answered.

Meanwhile, Twilight leaned over to Celestia. “Um, Princess,” she whispered, “could I ask you a favor?”

Author's Note:

I'll be posting a blog soon with some answers of how this story works, since at least some of you must have questions by now.