• Published 12th Sep 2013
  • 2,390 Views, 36 Comments

My Little Doctor Whooves: Horsing Around - comicfan616



The Doctor crashes his TARDIS on the planet Equus and meets some new friends.

  • ...
2
 36
 2,390

Still Not Ginger

The Doctor felt like he got hit by a truck then run over by another truck (sixteen-wheeler, it felt like). He could barely open his eyes, but from what little he could gather, he was still in the TARDIS, albeit on his stomach, like he was just recovering from a bad hangover. “What happened?” he said to himself. As soon as he finished, however, he noticed was something off. “Must be more hungover than I thought if my own voice sounds different.” He tried standing up.

And he still didn’t feel quite right. If anything, he was beginning to feel even stranger. The first thing he noticed was that, even though he felt like he was standing at full height, his chin could only reach the top of the console.

“Okay, Doctor, you’re not going mad,” he said to himself. “There’s a perfectly logical explanation for why this is happening.” He began to pace and think it out. New voice and shorter height were all he had to go on at the moment, unless he counted the odd feeling that he wasn’t standing on two legs. “Either I had something really bad before takeoff or…!” The answer that came to him made him question his intellect.

“Regeneration?” he nearly shouted. “How? Okay, think, Doctor, think! What’s the last thing you remember? Oh, I just realized, I’m talking to myself. That’s a new one. Don’t think I ever talked to myself before. Unless you want to count those times I met myself all wibbly wobbly timey wimey like. But then again, that’s not what people often mean when they refer to talking to oneself. Oh great, now I’m getting off topic. Come on, Doctor, focus. Immediate past, what happened?”

He started to go through his recent memories. “Okay, last thing I remember was that encounter with the Slitheen. Really, do they never learn? They had infiltrated the United States House of Representatives trying to pass some new finance laws, financing them, of course. I stopped them, though I had to use vinegar injections on their leader to do it. Not pleasant, for them or me. Now that I think about it, she did growl at me as I did it. I mean I hated to do it, but that’s what you get when…” The Doctor noticed something. “Wait. She… That was a female Slitheen. That means…! Oh! You are so stupid! You should have known better than to get that close to a female Raxocoricofallipatorian! She wasn’t growling at you, she was breathing on you! Poison breath!” The Doctor grunted in frustration.

He soon calmed down, though. “Well, no use crying over spilled milk. I’ve got more important things to think about. Like finding a mirror.” He walked to the lower area of the TARDIS, where he kept his expansive wardrobe. Although he couldn’t shake the feeling that his legs felt different, he was still able to descend the staircase without stumbling. He finally found his full-length mirror and looked into it.

The Doctor wasn’t sure what to expect of his new look, but he certainly wasn’t expecting what he did see: the figure looking back at him appeared to be more like a horse than a human. His coat was brown and his mane and tail were a darker shade of the same color. “Really, Cosmos?” he said when he made this latter observation. “You make me into a horse… Well, actually, judging by the body structure, I actually look more like a pony. Ah, equine either way. But you turn me into a pony and you don’t make ginger to compensate?” He sighed. “It’s official: the universe hates me.”

The Doctor began to inspect his new body further. There wasn’t much else about the body itself. It looked very much like a standard pony, although there were still some differences between his new body and a lot of other ponies he had seen; he would have to look into that. The only truly unique feature was the image of an hourglass on his flank. “Apropos, at least,” he said to himself.

Realizing there wasn’t going to be much else for him in the wardrobe (seeing as nothing would fit him in his current state), the Doctor headed back up to the main floor. He walked to the computer and tried to use it. He stopped though when he realized his hands were now hooves, which would make typing on a keyboard difficult at the very least. Luckily, he saw his sonic screwdriver on the floor nearby. He reached down and grabbed it and was actually surprised that it just stuck to his hoof.

“Now that I think about it,” he said, “Everything seems to be instinctual for me. Walking, grabbing, who knows what else? I’ll think about that later, though. Okay, where did we land?” He turned on the screwdriver and the computer started flashing through several screens at once. Finally, it stopped on what looked like a map of space. “Let’s here, coordinates are… 20-10-9-blah-blah-blah, and that puts us at… Equus. The planet Equus. Let’s see here. Equus, Equus.”

The Doctor thought hard for a few moments before it finally came to him. “Right! Equus! 250 parsecs south of Barcelona, geocentric planet, home to the Equestrians. Well, that explains the new body.” Suddenly, the console started beeping. The Doctor activated his screwdriver again.

“Ooh, hello,” he said. “Several life forms approaching the TARDIS. Must have had a rough landing after regenerating. I have got to stop doing that midflight. Well then, time to meet the neighbors.” He walked up to the doors and pulled.


Twilight and the others arrived at the box with the Elements already in place. Nopony knew what to expect as she powered up her magic and focused on the doors. She tried using the strongest magic she could muster without damaging the box, but the doors didn’t budge. She was just about to try a riskier spell when the doors suddenly began to open by themselves. Or that’s what it looked like, anyway, until she saw a brown earth pony stallion on the other side.

“Hello,” he said rather cheerfully. Twilight was surprised to find a fairly normal pony inside such a strange object.

“Um, hello?” Twilight said. She looked back at the others; they were just as confused as she was. She turned back to the stallion. “Who are you?”

“Straight and to the point, I see,” he said. “Very well. I am the Doctor.”

“Doctor Who, exactly?” Rarity asked.

“Just the Doctor,” he said. “And yes, that’s all you’re gonna get.”

Rainbow Dash, who had been hovering above the others, lowered herself closer to the ground. “Anyone else think this guy’s weird?”

“Rainbow!” Applejack scolded.

“He seems fine to me,” Pinkie Pie said.

“I’m still sticking to my alien theory,” Rainbow said.

“And stick you should, my dear pegasus,” the Doctor said, “for I am, in fact, what you would call an alien. Not ashamed to admit that, given the circumstances.” Fluttershy squeaked in fear and hid behind Pinkie.

“But you look so…” Rarity paused, trying to find the right word. “…Normal,” she finally said.

“Oh, I can assure you, there is more to me than meets the eye,” the Doctor replied. “Yes, I am extraterrestrial, and with that in mind, I must ask you all something.” The other ponies seemed unsure, but they let him continue anyway. “Where exactly am I?”

Twilight still wasn’t sure what to make of this pony, but for now, she figured it would be better to answer his questions. “Um, you’re in Canterlot, the capitol city of Equestria.”

“Well, that’s what I call a lucky landing, then,” the Doctor said. “Speaking of which, and I’m terribly sorry about this, but I was, um, indisposed during my arrival. Bit of a long story, I’ll tell you some other time. Anyway, did the TARDIS cause any trouble before it landed?”

“TARDIS?” Applejack repeated. “What kinda fancy-talk word is that?”

The Doctor lifted a hoof and pointed behind him at the box. “That’s what I call my ship back there. Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. But back to my question; were there any problems caused by my arrival.”

Surprisingly, Fluttershy answered his question, albeit cautiously. “Well, it did run into a few buildings, but nothing too bad. Most of the damage was already repaired when we came through here.”

“That’s good to hear,” the Doctor said. “So, then, back to the important point: this is the capitol city of Canterlot, do I have that right?” Twilight nodded slowly. “Then that must make you Princess Celestia. Always a pleasure to meet royalty.” The Doctor bowed in front of Twilight.

“Wha—What?” Twilight stuttered.

“Although, pardon me for saying this, Your Highness,” the Doctor continued, “but I thought you’d be just a bit taller. Not that I’m saying you can’t be any height you want. After all, as the saying goes, ‘Size doesn’t matter.’”

“But I’m not Princess Celestia!” Twilight said quickly before the Doctor could get another word in.

“Really?” the Doctor replied. “My apologies then, Princess Luna. You know, that actually makes more sense, considering purple is a much more fitting color for the night. Not as fitting as black of course, or a dark blue, but might I say you pull it of marvelously.”

“Okay, let me try that again,” Twilight said with a sarcastic chuckle. “I am not either princess! I’m not even a princess!”

“That so?” the Doctor asked. Twilight nodded once firmly. “Then why do you have a tiara on your head?”

Twilight was reminded of the Element on her head. “Oh, you mean…? Oh, no. This isn’t a royal crown. It’s one of the Elements of Harmony.”

“Twilight, you sure ya wanna say that?” Applejack said.

“Means nothing to me,” the Doctor replied. “So, I gather your name is Twilight?”

“Twilight Sparkle, yeah,” Twilight affirmed. “These are my friends: Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy.” She pointed to each of the ponies as she introduced them.

“Pleased to meet you all,” the Doctor said. Suddenly, he fell over, like his legs buckled under his own weight. Fluttershy galloped up to him and helped him up.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

“I’m fine,” the Doctor replied as he stood up. “Although I think it’s starting to catch up with me.”

“What is? Applejack asked.

“Remember when I said I was ‘indisposed’ just before my, erm, landing?” Several of the ponies nodded. “Well, I’ve been so busy trying to figure out where I am and trying to adjust to my situation that I guess I never noticed that I’m still not quite as better as I’d like.”

“Should we get you to a doctor?” Fluttershy asked.

“He is the Doctor,” Pinkie joked.

The Doctor chuckled. “In all seriousness, though, I’ll be fine. Just give me a chance to rest—!” Everyone heard a quiet, low rumble. “—and perhaps something to eat, and I’ll be right as rain.”

Twilight thought for moment and turned to one of the pegasus guards. “Fly back to the princess and tell her we’re bringing a guest. And that he’ll be hungry.” The guard saluted and flew off. She turned back to the Doctor. “Can you walk on your own?”

“I guess we’ll find out, won’t we?”

“Then follow us.” Twilight turned and walked into the street toward the castle.

Author's Note:

Just a few points I want to make clear:

This story is in no way affiliated with My Little Background Pony (which if you haven't read, you should [Yeah, yeah, I know, self-promote much?]). In fact, this is meant to be more congruous with the official canon of both MLP and DW (details to come later).

Also, some of you might be confused as to how I set up the story regarding the Doctor's presence. Let me just say this: the Doctor has not traveled to an alternate universe as seems to be the norm with this sort of crossover. Instead, he crashed onto a planet and regenerated accordingly.