• Published 28th Sep 2013
  • 8,673 Views, 289 Comments

Sunset Eclipsed - EldritchNexus



Sunset Shimmer, purged of her inner evil by the Elements of Harmony, prematurely returns to Equestria. There, she is given the chance to learn the values of friendship first-hand.

  • ...
 289
 8,673

PreviousChapters Next
Dreamtime Revelations in Vanhoover

For ten minutes, Radiant Dawn stood by the Syrups' stand, eyeing the sky bitterly.

"Uh, Red?" Sunset tried to get his attention. "What's the matter?"

Radiant shook his head, and growled audibly. Some sparks shot out of his horn.

"Why...did she have to be...here?!" he fumed. "Here, of all places!"

"Radiant Dawn, calm yourself down." said Sunset Shimmer.

Radiant lowered his head, relaxed himself, and took a deep, steady breath.

"Yeah, that was my ex that you saw." nodded Radiant Dawn slowly to his sister. "I dated her for a while when you were in Canterlot...without me."

"Was she always like that?" asked Sunset.

"Pretty much, Sunny."

"Then how could you stand to be with her?" asked Sunset. "For that matter, how could she stand to be with you? I mean, she doesn't seem to like ponies that much."

"I was one of the special exceptions." said Radiant, flatly. "At least, as far as she was concerned. Thought I was cool. Thought she'd get herself a cool boyfriend, so she let me take her out on dates. But it didn't last long. In fact, she dumped me less than a week later."

"Why'd she break up with you, though?" asked Sunset.

"I'd rather get into that later." said Radiant. "I just went out here because I'm hungry and the food at the barracks tastes like vomit."

"Well, I just bought a couple of jars of honey from the Syrups over here." said Sunset. "Would you like one?"

"Sure. Thanks, sister." smiled Radiant, levitating a jar out of Sunset's knapsack.

He put the jar into a pouch he had slung to the side, and went over to Flim and Flam.

"So, how are you two doing?" he asked them. "that was some pretty intense stuff with that gryphon."

"Well, I'd say that it was only the second most uncomfortable moment of our careers." said Flim, turning to his brother. "Wouldn't you say, Flam?"

"Agreed, brother." said the mustachioed twin. "Sometimes, I wonder why we even bothered leaving Baltimare at all. We're just trying to be legitimate businessponies, but all we do is make everyone mad at us for one reason or another. It really kills the mood we're trying to set."

"Oh, you two are from Baltimare, huh?" asked Radiant Dawn. "My mom's from that town."

"You don't say!" said Flim. "Say, maybe we could all talk to each other for a while."

"Actually, I've got to get back to the barracks soon." said Radiant. "I thought that I'd check on you two for a moment. See ya."

Radiant Dawn went back to the barracks, and Sunset Shimmer decided to return to the Obsidian Horseshoe. Frosty had already come back, and was in a cider-drinking contest with Nose Nip and Teddy. Pressure Point and Trixie were at the bar, conversing with the innkeeper.

"How much are the rooms here?" asked Trixie.

"About forty bits per night." said the landlord. "Extra sleepers are ten bits apiece. Five if they're colts, fillies, or whatever you call your young."

"Sounds kinda pricy." commented Trixie.

"I've got plenty of bits on me." said Pressure Point. "You can make it two rooms."

He levitated a large bag of money onto the counter.

"One room for me, and another for the girls." said Pressure.

"Sir, you realize you're spending nearly a hundred bits, right?" asked the innkeeper, half-surprised.

"I'm a successful doctor, so I get a very high income." elaborated Pressure Point.

"That sounds fine by me, doctor." said the innkeeper. "Well, I'll get you and your friends the keys to your rooms. I hope you enjoy the rest of your time here in my tavern."

"Wow, Pressure." said Sunset, who went up to the two unicorns. "That's awfully nice of you."

"There's no way in Tartarus I'm sharing a room with my cousin." stated Pressure, who leaned to whisper in Sunset's ear. "She snores!"

"I do not!" said Trixie. "You're the one that snores, cousin. You'd think a great doctor like you could take the time to do something about your sinuses!"

"Oh, I haven't snored since I was fourteen!" snapped Pressure Point.

"And I haven't snored once in my life." said Trixie.

"Well, the sun's coming down soon." said Pressure. "I figure we'd might as well get ready for bed."

After a quick and quiet dinner, Pressure Point, Sunset Shimmer, and Trixie Lulamoon went upstairs.

"I'll be in Room Two." said Pressure. "You two will be in Room Three."

Sunset Shimmer went into the bedroom first, and picked the bed next to the window. Trixie chose the one beside it. Sunset fell asleep quickly. She was in another dream. This time, it was completely unrelated to the human world. She was a filly again, frolicking in the woods around Daystar Manor. She was blissful and overjoyed.

"Hey, wanna play a game, Sunny?" said the voice of the young Radiant Dawn, who appeared beside her.

"Sure, Red! I love games!" giggled the young Sunset Shimmer.

Radiant nudged her shoulder with his hoof.

"Tag! You're it!" he said, then turned to gallop away.

Suddenly, Sunset began to cry loudly. Radiant took notice of this, and decided to run back.

"Sunny, what's the matter?" he asked his sister, with much concern in his voice. "I didn't mean to touch you that hard. It's just..."

Then Sunset nudged him in his own shoulder, and started laughing.

"Tag, you're it!" said Sunset, who then turned and bolted away.

Radiant Dawn chased after his giggling sister around the perimeter of the manor. They ran for four laps around the house, until they suddenly collided into the tall mauve-coated body of their mother.

"Children, what are you doing?" Scarlet Blaze flashed her green eyes between the two siblings.

"Sorry, mommy." said Sunset. "We were just playing a game. You're not gonna yell at us, are ya?"

"That's quite all right, dear." said Scarlet, leaning her head to give a warm grin to her daughter. "As long as you're only playing around."

And she turned her head to Radiant.

"And how about you?" asked Scarlet. "What would the birthday boy like from his mommy?"

"Gee, I don't know." said Radiant, fumbling about. "I don't usually think about this kind of stuff."

"Radiant, darling, you're eight years old now." said Scarlet. "You need to learn to make important decisions sooner or later!"

"I know, mama. I'm trying my best." said Radiant.

"And that's what makes you such a good big brother to sweet little Sunset." said the quirky, but lovable voice of Golden Sun.

Golden Sun came up to his family from the direction of the front door. He had a cream-colored coat, a short but curly golden mane, silvery-blue eyes, and a cutie mark that took the shape of a sun hovering over shimmering golden clouds. He was dwarfed somewhat by his wife, and was ever-so-slightly overweight. Apart from this, his features were quite handsome and smooth.

"So, would you like to go into town for anything, son?" asked Golden Sun.

"Umm....sure thing." said Radiant. "Sunny will be there with me, right?"

"All of us can be there, if you want." said Scarlet. "That reminds me: What would you like your cake to be?"

"Marble, with strawberry frosting." replied Radiant.

"Strange combination, kiddo..." hesitated Golden Sun. "But okay. We'll get it when we go into town."

Then Sunset Shimmer blinked, and she was in a completely different location. Standing before her, in all her aetherial beauty, was--

"Princess Luna!" exclaimed Sunset in surprise. "It's nice to see you again."

"Likewise, my student." agreed Luna. "How has your hometown treated you, so far?"

"Vanhoover's got a lot of nice ponies here." said Sunset, adding under her breath: "And some gryphons that aren't so nice. Sorry that I wasn't able to take you up on tonight's lesson, Luna."

"It is quite all right." said Princess Luna. "I understand how important returning to Vanhoover is to you."

"Thanks, Luna." nodded Sunset Shimmer. "By the way, how are things in Canterlot?"

"Things have been awfully quiet since we arrested Umbriel."

"And what about Ponyville? How are Twilight and her friends doing? I hope they're not mad at me about what happened..."

"They do not blame you at all, Sunset." said Luna. "Changelings have troubled all of us to some extent. They would know what it is like to face those creatures. Also, the mayor of Fillydelphia has sent a messenger to us. His city is reviving itself very rapidly. It should be back to normal again in a week."

"That's great!" smiled Sunset.

"Also, you have been getting...fan letters, apparently." said the alicorn princess. "You have many admirers amongst the ponyfolk of Fillydelphia."

"No joke?" asked Sunset.

"No joke." answered Luna.

"Wow, that's incredible!" said Sunset. "I've got to see this sometime."

"Well, I can conjure up some copies of these letters right now." offered Luna.

Her horn started to glow, and an envelope materialized beside her, floating in mid-air. Sunset used her own telekinesis to open it, and read the note within.

You rock, Sunset Shimmer! You should swing back here sometime, and hang out with me and the other stallions! Seriously, the guys can't get enough of you.

Your faithful fancolt, Soft Iron.

"Interesting." said Sunset. "Any more?"

Another letter appeared before Sunset, and she read it:

Thank you so much for saving our city. You should totally run for mayor during our next election (Mayor Thorn Side's a real stick-in-the-mud!) when it comes around.

Ace Spades, gambler extraordinaire.

"Well, I think I'm a little too young to run for a position like that." mumbled Sunset. "Okay, I think I've seen enough, Luna. Thanks."

"It is no problem at all, my student." said Luna.

"But now I'd like to change the subject before I let the fame get to my head." said Sunset.

"Very well." said Princess Luna.

"So, what dastardly crimes has Old Umbee done this time?" she asked.

"He is still imprisoned at this time." said Luna. "He's certainly an interesting one, I shall admit."

"If by interesting, you mean a pompous tyrant..." mumbled Sunset.

"He is most definitely the boastful and arrogant type." acknowledged Luna. "But I can tell he is as dangerous as Changelings come. Especially among their royal leaders."

"Oh, yeah. That reminds me..." said Sunset. "Some Changelings attacked the train on the way to Vanhoover. It seems Umbriel's goons aren't as dependent on his leadership as we thought. Although we got rid of 'em easily. We even took one prisoner. He's being interrogated by the local garrison of the Royal Guard."

"We must acknowledge that General Synthe is still at large." said Luna. "Umbriel told me much about him."

"Like what?" inquired Sunset Shimmer.

"He has told me that Synthe is in fact:" announced Princess Luna. "The usurper of the Changeling Empire, the one that attempted to overthrow Queen Chrysalis more than a year ago. He is none other than...King Craw."

PreviousChapters Next