• Published 28th Sep 2013
  • 8,673 Views, 289 Comments

Sunset Eclipsed - EldritchNexus



Sunset Shimmer, purged of her inner evil by the Elements of Harmony, prematurely returns to Equestria. There, she is given the chance to learn the values of friendship first-hand.

  • ...
 289
 8,673

PreviousChapters Next
At the Obsidian Horseshoe

Sunset Shimmer and the others went up to the front gate of the barracks, which was monitored by a trio of earth pony guards. One of them went up to the six to question them.

"Halt! State your business!"

Radiant and Lightning stepped forward and proceeded to introduce themselves.

"I am Lieutenant Radiant Dawn of Canterlot's Night Guard." said the orange-red unicorn.

"And I'm Sergeant Lightning Dust of the Shadowbolts!" added the cyan pegasus.

"Ah, I thought I recognized you, Dawn." said the guard. "Though how couldn't I? There aren't a lot of unicorns your size. At least, not that I would know about. So you're a guard now, huh?"

"That's right." confirmed Radiant. "And I already got far up in the ranks."

"I see, lieutenant." said the earth pony guard.

"And I was appointed the rank of sergeant by Captain Star Shield himself." said Lightning Dust. "And I've got witnesses here to prove it."

"Very well, then. Well, since you're all checked out, you two are free to go inside. But what about the others here?"

"Friends and family." answered Radiant again. "They're witnesses to an incident that occurred on the way to town."

"And my boys back at the train depot have a prisoner to be brought in, too." said Lightning Dust. "We'll need you to send a couple of guards to collect them."

"Preferably unicorns." added Sunset Shimmer, who came up behind the two.

Then the earth pony guard took a look at the yellow mare.

"I recognize that swirly red-and-yellow mane anywhere." he stated. "You're Golden Sun's daughter, aren't you?"

"That's right." nodded Sunset. "And Lieutenant Dawn's little sister."

"What was your name again?" asked the guard. "Sunshimmer, wasn't it?"

"Sunset Shimmer, actually." corrected the unicorn. "So, you knew our father?"

"Sure do!" confirmed the earth pony guard. "He's that scholar that used to live in that mansion out-of-town, had all those books, and taught at Baltimare University."

"That's the one." said Radiant.

"And I definitely remember your mother, Miss Scarlet Blaze." continued the earth pony. "She was quite the war-horse, but was so regal and ladylike at the same time."

"And pretty bossy, when it came to me." said Radiant nodded slowly. "Not that I didn't mind it. It's what got me to be such a good brother to Sunny over here."

"Well, at least I know where those two got it from now." thought Pressure Point as he overheard their conversation.

"I suppose you're all tired and worn-out from your journey." said the guard. "Very well, you may all come on inside. I will inform our commanding officer about your presence, and your prisoner."

The six ponies were across the training grounds, and into the building. They were led into a private parlor, where a tall earth pony in leather armor was conversing with a gryphon.

"Now listen here, Zephyr, we don't have any gripes with your kind here!" assured the earth pony. "So, can't bygones be bygones, or what?"

"You say that now, but what about those two unicorns that went and attacked my home?"

"What unicorns?" questioned the guard.

"The two black ones, monsieur guardsman!" snapped Zephyr.

"Wait a minute, I don't recall there being any black unicorns living in Vanhoover!" stated the guard. "And I should know; I keep a list of everypony in town!"

"Because they aren't unicorns, sir." said Radiant, approaching the two. "They're Changelings."

"Sacre bleu, who are you?" demanded Zephyr. "What are these 'Changelings', of which you speak?"

"Terrible creatures." said Radiant, simply.

"Creatures that go out of their way to take happiness from your life, just to benefit themselves." added Sunset.

"Bah! I've never heard of them!" spat the gryphon. "I'm going back home. Au revoir!"

The gryphon promptly left the room without uttering another word.

"Sunset Shimmer, I see you have returned home at last." said the guard, approaching the mare. "I am Sergeant Bullpup, head of the Royal Guard garrison here in Vanhoover."

"What was that all about?" asked Pressure Point, interjecting. "I mean, with that gryphon?"

"Oh, just another complaint about wildlife." said Bullpup. "The gryphons here are very paranoid, thinking that us ponies are out to get 'em."

"Have there been any monsters tearing through this town, too?" asked Lightning Dust. "I mean, considering Fillydelphia and all."

"Nothing serious, at least not in comparison to what happened in Fillydelphia." said Bullpup. "Sometimes something might try getting in, but our guards would just as easily chase it out. But we've definitely gotten some weird stuff out in the woods and mountains around here. Stuff that ain't even supposed to be there!"

"What kind of stuff are we talking about?" asked Trixie.

"Oh, it's a long story." said Bullpup. "Listen, I've got a lot of reports to fill out today. Lieutenant Dawn and Sergeant Dust, why don't you two stay here and help me and my men fill them out?"

"Right." nodded Radiant. "But what about the others?"

"There's an inn down the street from here." said the earth pony officer. "The four of them should be able to find themselves comfortable there, until we're ready to interview you all."

"Actually, sir, I'm a local." said Nose Nip.

"Oh, right." stated Bullpup. "Then you should be able to guide them there. The place is called The Obsidian Horseshoe."

"Thanks, sir." said Nose Nip. "Alright, everypony. Let's go."

Nose Nip led Sunset, Trixie, and Pressure outside, when they suddenly collided with a small unicorn.

"Hey, watch where you're--" moaned the small unicorn with an irritable voice. "Oh, Nips, it's you!"

"How ya holdin' up, Frosty?" asked Nose Nip.

"Terrible." said Frosty, shaking his body frigidly. "This sickness is getting worse and worse. Maybe I should've stayed home in Baltimare."

Then he suddenly started coughing loudly. Everypony but Pressure Point jumped back cautiously. The bluish-white unicorn approached Frosty, his horn glowing.

"Here, let me see what ails you..." he said. "Ah, just a sore throat and a runny nose."

"Oh, is that all?" questioned Frosty, irritably. "Yeah, it's the common cold, smart-guy. It's nothing you probably haven't seen before."

"C'mon, Frosty." said Nose Nip. "These ponies are from out-of-town. Let's not be rude to them, huh?"

"Sorry, sorry, sorry." groaned Frosty. "So, where are you all from?"

"Canterlot." said Pressure Point.

"Same here." added Trixie.

"And I'm actually from--" Sunset began.

"Wait, I think I know you." said Frosty. "Radiant told me about you. You're Sunset Shimmer!"

"That's right." said Sunset. "You don't have a problem with that, do ya, shorty?"

"Who're ya callin' 'shorty', shorty?" growled Frosty through a stuffed muzzle. "You wanna get in trouble with me? It's your funeral, missy!"

"Would that be before or after your morgue party?" Sunset questioned, her horn glowing.

"Don't you start with me, honey!" Frosty whispered threateningly, his own horn glowing with a silver aura. "I've still got plenty of juice in me to mop the boardwalk with you!"

"Wow, was I this worked up with Sunset?" Pressure mumbled under his breath.

Pressure and Trixie were about to rush over to help Sunset, when Frosty suddenly started laughing coarsely.

"Welcome back to Vanhoover, Madame Sunset." Frosty grinned spontaneously. "So what can a humble pony like me do for a rich, beautiful mare like yourself?"

Suddenly, Sunset Shimmer couldn't help but think about her landlord back in the human world, who would often address her like she was royalty, albeit as a joke.

"I'm flattered and all, but what are you talking about?" asked Sunset. "'Madame'? 'Rich'? Sorry, but I think you've gotten me confused for somepony else."

Frosty looked at the yellow mare for a few seconds, then laughed loudly, before having another coughing fit.

"I love that sense of humor of yours, Sunset." said Frosty. "Just like your brother's. Seriously, though, don't you live in Daystar Manor?"

"I used to..." Sunset muttered.

"The most expensive estate in Vanhoover's countryside?" added Nose Nip.

"Only a very rich family lives in a place as big and nice as that." said Frosty.

Sunset found herself blushing. She had no idea that Daystar was all that special.

"It's really not that much..." Sunset attempted to shrug.

"Are you kidding me, Sunset? It's one of the Top 15 Most Wanted Homes in Equestria. Even the pamphlets suggest passing by it when you come visit Vanhoover."

"Okay okay, just stop." snapped Sunset Shimmer. "I get the picture. But really, I don't have too many fond memories about that place. What with..."

"Oh, I see." Frosty frowned. "Your parents. Yeah, Radiant told me about that. What a terrible thing to happen."

"Never mind." dismissed Sunset. "Let's get inside. I'm getting a little chilly out here."

Sunset Shimmer and her friends went into the inn, which was crowded with various ponyfolk and a few gryphons. Sunset gestured for Trixie, Pressure, Nose Nip, and Frosty to sit at an empty table in the corner, away from the loud chatter and watching eyes of the other patrons. When they were seated, Sunset herself approached the innkeeper, a male unicorn wearing a tan apron.

"Hello there, young lady." said the innkeeper. "Welcome to my humble inn, the Obsidian Horseshoe. How many drinks will you be wanting, miss?"

"Five." answered Sunset Shimmer. "Two mugs of...apple cider, two milkshakes; one chocolate and one peanut butter, and a glass of strawberry lemonade."

"Okay, then." said the barkeep. "Your party is over in the corner, right? So you're friends with Nose Nip and Frosty, hmm?"

"Actually, my brother is." said Sunset.

"Well, I'd keep an eye out for those two if I were you." said the barkeep, cautiously.

"Why? Are they known to have a bad reputation?" asked Sunset.

"No, because they seem to get themselves into trouble wherever they go." said the innkeeper, flatly. "Just get to your seat, and one of my assistants will be at your table."

Sunset Shimmer went back to her friends, and sat between Trixie and Pressure. She shot a wary look at Nose Nip and Frosty.

"Um...what's wrong?" questioned the earth pony. "Do I have something in my mane?"

"Um...nothing." shrugged Sunset.

PreviousChapters Next