• Published 28th Sep 2013
  • 8,659 Views, 289 Comments

Sunset Eclipsed - EldritchNexus



Sunset Shimmer, purged of her inner evil by the Elements of Harmony, prematurely returns to Equestria. There, she is given the chance to learn the values of friendship first-hand.

  • ...
 289
 8,659

PreviousChapters Next
Umbriel's Tale

To Sunset Shimmer, it was a familiar scene. But this time, she wasn't caught in the middle of it. She stood on one side of Princess Luna's throne, and Captain Star Shield stood on the other. Mirroring them were Twilight Sparkle and the recently-returned Captain Shining Armor at Celestia's throne.

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were circling Umbriel, who had his wings chained to his torso.

"Umbriel, you have committed many crimes against Equestria." said Celestia. "And the lengths you have gone to are just loathsome."

"Oh, do go on." grinned the Changeling, mockingly.

"You have torn many families apart over the years." said Luna. "Not only my own student's, but others as well."

"You have terrorized many countrysides for as long as you've had even the slightest amount of power." Celestia added. "And now, you've actually began to attack heavily-populated areas. And above all, you've violated the truce placed between Equestria and Queen Chrysalis' Changeling Empire that has been there since the death of King Craw. But what I want to know, Umbriel is...why? Does the Queen of the Changelings already hunger again for the love of my subjects?"

"Not quite." said Umbriel. "I do not act on my sister's behalf, though I do remain loyal to her."

"Then what is your motivation for these atrocities?" asked Luna. "Why are you plaguing our lands?"

"I don't know much, myself." admitted Umbriel. "It's just that ever since I had received my...gift, I have become rather passive-aggressive. Not to mention, ambitious."

Celestia and Luna exchanged confused looks with each other, as did their students.

"Your 'gift', did you say?" asked Luna.

"Of course, your majesty." smiled Lord Umbriel. "I wasn't always the hulking beast-with-brains that you see before you. Until quite some time ago, I was just a scrawny runt of a Changeling prince by the name of Embryo. I was weak, shrill, and pathetic to look at. But I had a brilliant, if ambitious mind. It certainly made up for what I didn't have back then."

"However did you become what you are now?" asked Princess Luna.

"It's a bit of a lengthy tale, so I'll skip to the tail-end." said Umbriel."It was shortly after my sister Queen Chrysalis had regained power amongst the Changelings, following King Craw's defeat, that I took it upon myself to find a way to strengthen myself, in the event that another would-be usurper attempted to rise up against her. Though I was able to send whatever troops I could spare to help her regain the throne, it wasn't enough. If it weren't for the mysterious alien warrior she sent to your world--you know who I am referring to, I am sure--My sister may have met her untimely end because of the traitorous Craw and his other-worldly allies."

"I had wondered where Queen Chrysalis had gotten so many drones to assist her, even when she was in exile." said Celestia.

"Quite." said Umbriel. "But continuing on, I searched high and low throughout Equestria for a power that I could rely upon to rid me of the loathsome defects that I was born with. Eventually, my sources all led me to the Frozen North..."

----
EARLIER THAT YEAR...

The diminutive Changeling prince beat his small wings across the cold wasteland. Following him were at least a dozen of his fellow Changelings.

"Prince Embryo, my lord?" queried Ghost. "are you absolutely certain that we will find it all the way up here?"

"Yes, Ghost." said Embryo, with a shrill voice. "We must press on! Keep flying forwards!"

"As you wish, master." said the albino Changeling.

Through the harsh weather, the Changelings advanced through the air. A few began to shiver, but the others continued, anyway. Eventually, they came upon what appeared to be a frozen lake. Embryo and Ghost landed first in the middle, while the others dropped down all around it.

"Keep an eye out for any intruders!" Embryo screeched to his troops. "I don't want anypony spoiling our big day!"

"But master, whatever can we find all the way in the middle of nowhere like this?" asked Ghost.

"The solution, my loyal subject." answered Prince Embryo. "The solution."

"Understood, my prince." said Ghost.

Embryo inspected the ice carefully. He could see the vaguest of movement underneath.

"Yes..." he sighed coldly. "This is indeed the correct place. Now we shall begin the excavation!"

The prince's horn began to glow. A series of heavy footfalls echoed in the snowstorm, until a vast shadow emerged from the freezing whiteness. The armored form of Long Rim appeared silently before Embryo and Ghost.

"I trust you know what to do!" Embryo smiled at the massive beast.

Long Rim nodded mechanically, and then crawled towards the frozen surface that the Prince of the Changelings was standing on. He ushered forth a loud roar, and rammed his head and claws into the ice. It gave way before the beast, who gradually sank down into a slanted pit.

"The door's open, boys." hissed Embryo. "Now follow me!"

The Changelings all flew in after Long Rim. They found themselves in front of what looked like a sealed back gate. Embryo ordered his Changelings to lead Long Rim back up to the surface, and he was left alone. The Changeling prince approached the gate, and cast a spell on its enchanted lock. There was a low growling and a deep voice on the other end of the gate.

"Who dares...awaken...me?" said the voice.

"One with news that may interest you, King Sombra." said Prince Embryo, who was grinning maliciously. "For a price, of course."

"What news do you bring me, stunted one?" growled King Sombra's disembodied voice.

"News regarding recent events in Equestria." said Embryo. "Including the resurgence of your old Crystal Empire!"

"So the curse has finally lifted?" questioned King Sombra. "A thousand years have already passed?"

"But of course, your highness." nodded Prince Embryo. "But just take a moment to listen to me."

"Then speak quickly." commanded Sombra.

"I am responsible for your liberation." said Embryo. "If it were not for me, you'd be trapped down here for all eternity!"

"And what do you ask in return?" boomed Sombra's voice.

"I wish for the power to remove myself of this...horrid condition that I was born with!" shuddered the Changeling. "King Sombra, if you would take a moment of your time to give me a little something in return..."

"You ask for me to relinquish my powers to you?" said the malevolent unicorn monarch. "I shall not do this."

"I don't mean give all of it to me!" said Embryo, quickly. "Only what you can afford to lose! I understand that an exceptionally powerful unicorn such as yourself may be able to offer some assistance to those that need it? I scratched your back, so you should scratch mine in return!"

"Very well, stunted one." said Sombra. "If it will rid you of that pathetic vessel you dare call a body, then I shall see this done."

Suddenly, a massive dark shape emerged from behind the gate, and two luminous green eyes peered into Embryo's face. But the Changeling did not flinch or otherwise show fear. It was clear that he knew exactly what he was in for.

"Now, what is your name?" asked Sombra.

"I am Embryo, Prince of the Changelings." said the Changeling. "If you help me with this body, you will have the full support of the Changeling Empire."

"Very well..."

Suddenly, the darkness consumed Embryo's body. He felt himself being twisted and unraveled, and being reconstructed and refined. His scrawny body grew larger and stronger than before. His small shaggy black mane grew longer, spikier, and cerulean in color. His bulbous eyes were somewhat reduced, and he felt his pupils dilating sideways.

"This...is incredible!" Embryo's voice said in the dark, deepening on every syllable. "Give me all that you desire, O King Sombra! I am truly grateful for this...most...generous...gift!"

"Rise, my agent of darkness." said King Sombra. "Rise, Lord Umbriel! Go out, and spread my legacy throughout the other lands of Equestria."

"Yes, master." said Umbriel. "Whatever you wish! And one other thing?"

"Yes, Umbriel?" questioned King Sombra.

"I was thinking..." Lord Umbriel suggested. "Perhaps when you have reclaimed the Crystal Empire, you might be interested in becoming...acquainted with my sister, Queen Chrysalis?"

"We shall see...now go!"

The enlarged Changeling beat his four new wings, and flew out of the tunnel to meet with his minions.

"Behold, I have returned." boomed Lord Umbriel. "Now, you shall know me as...Umbriel!"

The Changelings all bowed down before their master.

"We have much to do now." said Umbriel. "The first thing I shall do is tell my sister that I am ready to double my payload!"
----
PRESENT DAY...

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna glared at Umbriel intensely.

"So, you were the one responsible for King Sombra's freedom?" interrogated Luna.

"That is most certainly correct, princess." said Umbriel, in a mockingly casual tone.

"You had unleashed a great evil upon this land, Umbriel!" said Celestia. "Have you no shame?"

"I am grateful for it." said Umbriel. "You see, I did it to protect my sister. Not because Sombra would ever do it, but so that I could do it better than before!"

"Umbriel, we shall continue this tomorrow." said Celestia. "You are to be locked up in our highest-security dungeon. If you cooperate in the future, you will be given proper accomodations."

"Oh, joy..." growled Umbriel, as Captains Shining Armor and Star Shield led him out of the throne room.

Sunset Shimmer scoffed at the fact that Umbriel wouldn't receive his sentence yet.

"Now, now, my student." said Luna. "We are still taking his actions into account. Now, I think you should get some rest. Tomorrow night, We shall begin our next sessions."

"Thank you, princess." said Sunset, humbly. "Good night."

Sunset Shimmer and her friends all went up to their bedrooms. The yellow mare fell asleep quickly, and had a dream about being an alicorn, something she hadn't dreamed about in a long time. In this dream, she found herself standing alongside the four princesses. All five spread their wings, and took off into the air together. The sight of Equestria beneath her was breathtaking, to say the least. Suddenly, she felt the crown she was wearing crackle. Immediately afterwards, she discovered her wings were crumbling. Before she could scream, she found herself spiraling out of control to the ground below. She was bounding closer and closer, and then--

Bang! Bang! Bang! CRASH!

Suddenly, Sunset Shimmer was in her bedroom and saw her door tumbling down. For a moment, nothing was visible but the hall beyond. Sunset looked around wide-eyed, until she suddenly heard a series of beeping noises in the direction of the fallen door, which was suspiciously tilting and rocking on its own accord. Metallic footfalls echoed all around her. Before she could gasp, she could feel something metallic seize her by the muzzle. She could feel cold, plated fingers wrapping around her snout. She was unable to scream and unable to see what was in the room with her, but she could hear the distorted voice just fine:

"Sunset Shimmer. For crimes against humanity, you are to be placed under arrest, and shall be recognized as a prisoner of the Chrysalis Syndicate."

Suddenly, everything between Sunset and the doorway started to shake and shimmer. The moment the black-armored devil revealed itself to her, it was clear to the unicorn that there was no hope of escape for her. Suddenly, the Chrysalis Syndicate soldier removed his mask, revealing the face of Craw.

"Wake up, Sunset." he said, softly. "You're just having a dream! Wake up and talk to me!"

Sunset Shimmer awoke with a start. Radiant Dawn was standing at her bedside, leaning over her.

"Red, what's wrong?" Sunset asked groggily.

"I'm getting you up!" said her brother. "It's one o'clock in the afternoon!"

"Wow, I was sleeping for that long?!" Sunset gasped.

She quickly climbed out of bed, and went to the mirror on the other side of the room. Using her telekinesis, she brushed her mane while simultaneously checking the drawers underneath for her books. She was feverishly reading through several of them.

"Sunny, what's going on?" asked Radiant. "For such a heavy sleeper, you seem pretty restless right now."

"I'm going to be given a lesson by Princess Luna in a few hours." said Sunset, in a panicked tone. "I need to make sure that I don't go in there looking like a lazy moron! I need to study up on anything she might teach me tonight!"

"Do you know what she's going to teach you?" asked Radiant Dawn.

"Well, no." admitted Sunset. "But I still can't mess around, and not prepare myself for it! I mean, if I mess up as Princess Luna's student like I did as Celestia's, who knows what might happen to me!"

"You're not going to mess up!" said Radiant. "You're just as smart as our father was! And your skills with magic are incredible! Not to mention, you were Princess Celestia's star student! What the heck are you so worried about?"

"I don't know." said Sunset Shimmer. "I guess I'm a little shaken up from my fight with Umbriel. So, what's that overgrown horsefly up to, anyways?"

"He's locked up tight down in the dungeons." replied Radiant Dawn. "We even have a certain someone down there to make sure he doesn't try escaping."

"Who?" asked Sunset, just as a cracking sound became audible.

"Oh, that would be me." said a quirky voice.

The two siblings turned over to Sunset Shimmer's bed, to see--to Sunset's surprise--none other than Discord sitting on top of it.

"Greeting and salutations, Sunset Shimmer." said the draconequus. "Finally, we've had the chance to meet."

"Um...Radiant?" Sunset urgently bumped a hoof against her brother's leg. "What is the god of chaos doing here? I thought he was turned to stone a long time ago!"

"It's okay, Sunset." said Radiant Dawn. "Princess Celestia told me that she was able to set things straight with him."

"And how? Let me guess: Twilight Sparkle, right?"

Suddenly, there was a loud ding! ding! ding! that seemed to come from nowhere, followed by the disembodied voices of an invisible crowd that seemed to be applauding from all directions.

"My, my! Bravo, Sunset Shimmer." said Discord, clapping slowly. "You are correct! Here, you win a free chicken."

He snapped his claws, and a young pegasus with a brown coat and short purple mane popped out of thin air. She looked around, confused.

"What's going on?" she was saying. "What am I doing in Canterlot?"

"Oh. Sorry about that, Scootaloo." chuckled Discord, snapping his claws again.

In an instant, Scootaloo vanished again. Sunset Shimmer just looked at Discord with a puzzled look on her face.

"Oh, that was just a little in-joke among me and a few others." said Discord.

"Discord, what are you doing in my room?" Sunset asked, simply.

"Give me one reason not to be in your room, if you would please." said Discord, who was now playing with a paddleball that he produced out of nothingness.

"Well, you're kinda disturbing my privacy." said Sunset.

"'I have better things to do than socialize' are your words, yes?" questioned the draconequus.

"Well, they were." admitted Sunset Shimmer. "But I'm a changed mare. I'm not arrogant or evil anymore. How'd you know I said those words, anyway?"

"I may have been turned to stone for a long time, but it doesn't mean I was deaf to everything around me." said Discord. "Even if it wasn't in the immediate area. For example, I heard your little outburst all those years ago when you abandoned Princess Celestia's teachings. I even heard you crying like a little filly when you apologized to Princess Celestia a few days back. It was actually...rather moving, to be honest."

Sunset Shimmer blushed.

"Um, okay. I get the point." she said. "But I still stand by what I said: You're disturbing my privacy. I'm very busy here."

Discord's paddleball changed into a basketball, which he began bouncing upwards and catching with his hand.

"Sure, I'll go." said Discord. "Just give me time to throw a little game in."

He casually flung the basketball sideways, and it ricocheted throughout Sunset Shimmer's room like a three-dimensional pinball. Several things were knocked aside, and Sunset and Radiant had to dodge several times to avoid getting hit. All the while, Discord just lounged about on the bed, ignoring the pandemonium around him. When the ball bounced towards him, he extended his hand into the ball's path and caught it effortlessly.

"Tilt." Discord said, simply.

Sunset looked around her room, surprised that nothing was broken by the basketball's onslaught.

"Toodles." Discord said, snapping his claws.

In an instant, he was gone.

"That was...an interesting experience." Sunset said.

"Tell me about it." nodded Radiant. "That sure never happened back home."

"Well, I'd better get back to my studying." said Sunset.

"Right." said Radiant. "And I'd better get over to the training area. See ya later, little sis."

PreviousChapters Next