• Published 13th Sep 2013
  • 2,261 Views, 64 Comments

Doggone it, Fluttershy! - Scantrel



An Equestria Girls story: Fluttershy's volunteer work for the Canterlot Animal Shelter takes an unexpected turn.

  • ...
4
 64
 2,261

Ch 6: Revelations (Part 1)

"Alright y'all, who's ready for some apple pie?" Applejack asked, setting down the freshly baked delight on the table.

"Ooh, me, me!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed. "Fluttershy, is there ice cream too?"

"Of course, let me get some and some plates." Fluttershy excused herself from the table and got up to get some fresh plates from the cupboard before opening the freezer to get out the tub of ice cream. "Thank you so much for helping with dinner, Applejack." Fluttershy said as she returned to the table.

"Aw, it weren't nothing, glad to help." Applejack said with a smile.

"None for me, please, I am simply stuffed." Rarity said politely.

"Remember to save some for Dashie," Fluttershy said. Applejack nodded and cut out a sizable piece to set aside for Rainbow Dash.

Rarity glanced at the clock, which read 7:45 PM. "We should get ready, Twilight will be here soon." The other girls helped tidy the kitchen and headed to the living room to wait while Fluttershy put on a kettle to brew some tea. A sudden chirp from her cell phone made Fluttershy jump a little and she looked down to see what it was. It was a text message from Rainbow Dash.

Running a little behind, be there asap. Bringing a surprise.

What kind of a surprise? Fluttershy wondered. Tonight was going to be odd enough as it were, it probably didn't need any surprises. Fluttershy thumbed the phone off, it was too late to change Rainbow Dash's mind anyway. The kettle started to sing and Fluttershy put aside her concern and filled the teapot with the hot water and carried it out with some cups on a small tray to the living room.

Rarity was fussing about, making sure that everything was orderly and neat. Pinkie Pie and Applejack were sitting on the couch, talking quietly. Fluttershy set the tray down on the coffee table and sat down in the smaller chair she had brought in from her bedroom. The larger, more comfortable chair she had reserved for Twilight.

Rarity finally finished her inspection and sat down next to Pinkie Pie, "I must confess, I'm feeling a bit anxious," she said, smoothing out her skirt.

"Me too," chimed Pinkie Pie. "I'm just super duper eager to meet her. Hopefully she doesn't think this is too weird."

Applejack smirked and said, "Oh, 'course not. I'm sure she'll take it jus' fine to hear 'We got to be good friends with the pony you, an' that's how we know all about you even though we've never met.'"

Pinkie Pie looked at Applejack and then broke into a big smile. "You really think so? That's wonderific!"

Applejack just sighed a little and shook her head. Before she could say anything else, there was a firm knock at the door. Each of the girls looked up expectantly and then the other three turned their gaze to Fluttershy. Fluttershy paled a little at the looks, then realized it was her apartment so it was her place to go answer the knock. Fluttershy stood up and walked to the door and took a deep breath to try and calm her nerves, then opened the door.

Twlight Sparkle was standing there with a similar slightly nervous look on her face. "Hi Fluttershy," she said, "Thanks for hosting tonight."

"Oh, it's no bother at all, Twilight. Please, come in." Fluttershy replied, standing aside to allow Twilight to enter.

Twilight walked into the room and stood in the entryway, feeling a little bit as if she was on stage seeing the reactions from the other girls sitting in the living room. It wasn't an entirely comfortable moment and everyone could sense it.

"Please, make yourself comfortable. Would you like some tea? Or anything to eat?" Fluttershy asked gently.

Twilight nodded and finally said, "Uh, sure. Tea would be good."

Fluttershy gave Twilight a gentle smile and led her to the living room and indicated the chair for Twilight to sit, while reaching to pour her a cup of tea. "Twilight, these are my friends that I told you about. This is Rarity, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie." She nodded to each of the girls as she introduced them and handed Twilight the tea. "Rainbow Dash had Volleyball practice and is running a little late, but she should be here soon." Fluttershy paused a moment, then added, "Girls, this is Twilight Sparkle."

"Howdy, Twilight," Applejack was the first to say.

"Twilight! It's so great to see you! We've been waiting all day and now you're here and I feels like it's been forever since we've seen you. Well, I guess it can't be forever since actually it's never but it still feels kinda like forever!" Pinkie Pie said in her usual excited rush.

Seeing Twilight's look of confusion, Rarity quickly added. "I think she means to say it's such a pleasure to meet you at last, Fluttershy told us all about the incident with Spike and those ruffians."

"Oh, yes...I hope that was alright with you," Fluttershy said to Twilight.

Twilight took a sip of her tea, forcing herself to relax. "That's fine, it's the driving reason why were all here after all." A slight nervous silence settled over the group. "So, ah, I really didn't have a chance to talk to Fluttershy about all of you. You all attend Canterlot High School together?"

"Yep, we all met during our freshman year," Applejack answered. "I'd known Rainbow Dash since middle school, an' the rest of us all became friends right before the Freshman Fair."

"How about you, Twilight? Fluttershy tells us you're attending the Gifted and Talented Academy?" Rarity inquired.

The mention of academia seemed to put Twilight at more ease and she answered somewhat animatedly, "Why yes, I am. I really am enjoying my studies, if all goes well I'll be able to graduate a year early and enroll in college. I'm currently considering either Pranceton or MIT to major in Physics."

"Physics is one of my favorite subjects too," Pinkie Pie said with a grin. "So many little laws to bend."

"Ah...heh, heh, yeah," Twilight said with a forced little laugh. Twilight's expression turned more serious and she said, "So Pinkie Pie, I understand you're the one that knew Spike belonged to me?"

Before Pinkie could respond, Fluttershy blushed and admitted, "Actually, no...that was just what I said. In truth, I recognized Spike when I got to the shelter that morning." The others tensed a bit at the confession, there was no more avoiding the elephant in the room.

"And how did you..." Twilight started, but was interrupted by a knock from the front door. Fluttershy got up, glad for the moment of distraction and went to the door and opened it. When she did, she blinked a bit in surprise to see two girls standing there.

"Hey Shy, sorry we're late. Practice ran a bit longer than expected." Rainbow Dash said. "Is Twilight here?"

"Mmhmm," was all Fluttershy could manage, before moving aside for Rainbow Dash and her guest to enter. "Hey, is that fresh pie I smell? Awesome!" Rainbow Dash said before heading toward the kitchen. "Hey, Sunset, you want some too?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"No, I'm good, but thanks." Sunset Shimmer answered, her gaze turning to regard Twilight with a hint of curiosity.

The others were looking at Sunset Shimmer in surprise, and Rarity found her voice first. "Hello Sunset...we weren't expecting you tonight."

Rainbow Dash came out of the kitchen carrying a plate with her pie slice. "Oh, yeah, that's my surprise. I thought since Sunset Shimmer was from the same place that Tw..." Rainbow Dash stopped, catching herself. "From the same place as our other friend, she might be able to help explain things a bit better."

Twilight had set down her cup of tea, taking mental notes as she observed the reactions to the newcomers. Something about the other girl made them nervous, she decided.

"When Rainbow Dash told me about everything that was going on, I offered," Sunset Shimmer said. "I don't want to overstep my bounds, but I thought if I could help out my new friends, I should."

"Well, I reckon you'll be able to fill in some details that we can't." Applejack said thoughtfully. "Go on an' grab a seat, an' we might as well cut to the chase."

Sunset Shimmer nodded and went to get a couple of chairs from the kitchen table, arranging them around the sitting area. Rainbow Dash plopped down in one, finishing off her pie with a wolfish appetite as Sunset Shimmer sat down in the other.

"I know that what we're gonna say will sound crazy, Twilight." Applejack began. "But I can promise you it's the truth, no one's gonna lie here." The other girls except Sunset all nodded their affirmation. "You remember hearin' in the news a couple months back about the accident at Canterlot High? The gas explosion that damaged the front o' the school?"

Twilight thought about it and then nodded. "Yes, I remember hearing about that, but I didn't follow it closely." Twilight frowned a little, then asked, "But what does that have to do with me?"

"Well..." Rarity said hesitatingly, "It wasn't exactly a gas explosion."

"It wasn't? What was it then?" Twilight asked curiously.

"It was me." Sunset Shimmer said into the silence followed. "I had stolen the Element of Magic from the other Twilight and it transformed me into...well, let's not open that can of worms. It altered my inherent magical powers, enhancing them and I tore the front off the building." Pausing a moment to flex her hand, Sunset added, "Took a couple of weeks afterwards for my fingers to stop being sore after working to reset all that brick."

A long silence dominated the room. Finally, Twilight spoke. "What...what do you mean magic? What 'other Twilight' are you talking about? There's no such thing as magic, that's ludicrous!"

"Not here, normally, you're right." Sunset Shimmer agreed, looking at Twilight. "But that changed when the portal opened and I was able to return to Equestria and take the Element of Magic from your counterpart. Once it was here in this world, I was able to harness its power. But that was before Equestria's Twilight and the others here were able to unite the powers of their Elements to overcome what I had done."

Sunset Shimmer paused, seeing the look on Twilight's face. "I know that look very well. You can't explain it, and you can't believe it. It flies against everything you've ever been taught." Sunset Shimmer stood up and walked over to Twilight. "It's real though. There are worlds beyond this one, worlds where magic is the norm, not science." She put a comforting hand on Twilight's shoulder. "You might not believe me, but listen to them. Listen to what they have to say and how they say it. They desperately miss the Twilight they came to know. And most of all, keep an open mind. These girls are the most honest, kind, generous, loyal, and fun people you'll ever meet. You can believe in them."

Sunset Shimmer reached into her pocket and drew out a small wooden box. "I'd been keeping this as a remembrance, but I think you should have it. It doesn't hold the same meaning for me any longer and I suspect that she would want you to have it."

Twilight took the little box mechanically, mumbling her thanks.

"I'm going to go, so you all can talk. I'll see you in class tomorrow." Sunset Shimmer said and walked to the front door. She raised her fingers up to her face with a "call me" gesture towards Rainbow Dash, who gave a slight nod. Opening the door, Sunset Shimmer walked out and closed it quietly behind her.

Twilight slowly opened the lid of the small wooden box. Inside were two quills set against lavender-colored velvet. Without thinking, she read the inscription aloud:

"To my most faithful student, may your studies never cease."
- Princess Celestia

Twilight looked up at the others and said in an extremely puzzled voice, "Who's Princess Celestia?"