• Published 11th Jul 2011
  • 4,753 Views, 14 Comments

A Good Sister - Bombastic Bookpony



As Scootaloo starts to look up to her more and more, Rainbow Dash wonders if she can be a good sis.

  • ...
2
 14
 4,753

Chapter 2


A Good Sister Chapter 2

AN: The Meteor Shower incident was inspired by the Comic Scootalove http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/04/comic-scootalove.html

It was only after Scootaloo was gone that Rainbow could find the appropriate word for her feelings.

“Crud. Crud. Crud!” Rainbow was officially panicking. She knew she was getting too close to the squirt. Oh, at first she was just an admirer, looking from afar and Dash loved it. It was a taste of the big crowds to come. But then she caught riff of the Cutie Mark Crusaders competing in the talent show. Oh, she thought, I’ll just come and watch, pop in backstage for a quick sec, and then get to practicing my tricks. But when she went to Scootaloo after the show, the filly’s face was full of surprise and happiness. It was a smile a mile wide and it was, despite Dash’s complete and utter aversion to the word, adorable. Not that it had any effect on Rainbow, of course. She was just viewing it from a purely objective viewpoint, really! And when Scootaloo asked Dash if she could watch the flier practice just for a bit and maybe hang out a little, the pleading look on her face was too hard to resist.


But it didn’t stop there. It only continued at the meteor shower. She noticed Scootaloo was straining to see and thinking nothing of it, bid Scootaloo on her back. She was taken aback when Scoots hugged her, but once the pipsqueak was on her back, she heard her whisper, “I wish I had somepony like Rainbow Dash.” Dash, being the narcissist she was, just chalked it up to the fact that she was so awesome that everypony wanted somepony like her.

And now this. It was all coming together. Scootaloo didn’t look up to her just as a role model or as a cool pony, but as a sister! She couldn’t handle that! She wasn’t sister material! She had been on her own for most of her life! Dash had no sisters at home, and the closest figures she could have as sisters, Gilda and her friends(now mutually exclusive until Gilda could get her act together)could A) handle themselves and B)in some ways looked over her! She needed help, and she knew just the pony to ask. But she’d deal with it tomorrow. Right now Dash needed to get back that nap she lost. Maybe she’d calm down a bit.

The Next Day……

She did. Rainbow felt a little better, but the events of the other day still weighed on her mind. She went to a pony who had a sister and who would tell her the truth. Dash didn't need empty reassurance and half-truths. She needed straight-talk, the bottom line. So she sped over to Sweet Apple Acres and knocked on the front door. Applejack’s little sister and one of Scootaloo’s best friends Apple Bloom opened the door.

“Hi there, Rainbow Dash. Whaddya need?”

“Is Applejack home? I have something important I need to talk about.”

“She’s in the barn. I’ll take ya right to her.”

“Thanks, Apple Bloom.” As they walked up the path to the barn, Apple Bloom tried to make conversation.

“So, I heard what ya did for Scootaloo. That was so sweet! She really appreciated it, Rainbow. She told me so herself.”

“Of course she did.”

"Don't tell her I told you though. She doesn't like talking about her feelings. Ah told her it didn't matter. Nopony would laugh at her for that, least of all you! Ah mean, you're just like a sis to her."

Great. Just great. Even Scootaloo's friends were seeing it. How'd she let it get this far? Applebloom must've noticed that Dash's mood had soured, as she spoke up.

“What’s wrong? Ya don’t sound happy. I’m sorry if I’m sticking my nose in your business.”

“No, it’s not you. That has to do with why I’m going to talk with Applejack.”

“Well, she’s right through this door!” Apple Bloom pointed with enthusiasm. “Hey sis! Rainbow Dash wants to speak with ya!”

“Alright!”

“I hope you get your problems sorted out, Rainbow Dash!” Apple Bloom exclaimed as she made her way back.

“Thanks!” Dash yelled back. Rainbow took several looks around her before going in and firmly shut the door behind her. Applejack had to stifle a chuckle. It was rare to see Rainbow so nervous, and to such a theatrical extreme! But if she was this nervous, it meant it was important, and AJ was ready to help. She looked at Rainbow with attentiveness.

“Why howdy, Rainbow. What’s going on?”

“Well, “Rainbow Dash began, obviously nervous, “you’ve heard about Scootaloo, right?”

“Yep. That was a mighty fine thing you did, Dash. Scootaloo’s parents are pretty grateful.”

“Yeah. Anyway, I’m worried. She’s getting so touchy, so close. I don’t know what to do!”Suddenly, she was interrupted by a noise outside. As the Pegasus looked through a crack in the barn doors, for a brief moment Dash thought she saw some movement from behind a pair of bushes. It only was there for a split second, if it had been there at all... Maybe she had just imagined it. That was not a good sign. At this rate, she'd become a bonafide Pinkie Pie, talking to a bunch of rocks. Again. Still, better safe than sorry. “What was that?”

Applejack gave a shrug. Dash was paranoid about this, so it probably had something to do with feelings. She was obsessed with her public image. AJ quickly reassured her. “Probably some farm animal. Go on.”

“Right. Do you know why she was doing that trick? To impress me! She got hurt because of me! I should’ve seen what was going on, at the play and at the meteor shower, but she’s looking up to me way too much! I think I’m like a sister to her.”

“Well, what’s wrong with that, sugarcube?”

“What’s wrong? I’m not sister material! I don’t have what it takes to be a good sister! I’m arrogant, loud, hasty, stubborn….” She trailed off. “No need to disagree so fast, Applejack.”

“What?” she asked, in mock surprise and confusion. “I’m positively stupefied that the great Rainbow Dash is being humble! Is it the apocalypse already?”

“Ha, ha, laugh it up.”

“Ah, sugarcube, you know I’m just messin’ with ya. You need to give yourself some credit. Look at me,” she said, pointing to herself. “I’m competitive, hardheaded, brash, and you all saw how I get after I work for a long while.” Dash chuckled, remembering that incident. “Am I a good sister?”

“What are you talking about?” Rainbow protested. “You’re an amazing sister! You’re honest, hard working, and supportive, you’re perfect!” Applejack struggled to hide a blush.

“W-well what about Rarity? She’s fru fru, a little superficial, and we all remember her mini-breakdown. Is she a good sister?”

“Yeah! She’s generous and caring and stuff!”

“Exactly. Being a good sister doesn’t mean ya gotta be perfect. You just gotta do your best to protect her, care for her, and teach her. Dash, you’re amazing, and I mean it. You’re loyal, brave, and deep down caring, and that always comes out when we need it. You’re the greatest pony I’ve ever known.”

“Really?” Rainbow Dash looked up, surprised.

“Element of honesty, remember?” Applejack said with a smile.

“Oh!” Rainbow leaped up and hugged Applejack. “You’re the greatest friend I’ve ever had, AJ. I wouldn’t give up our friendship for anything. Now, I gotta catch Scootaloo. See ya!” Dash flew out of the barn, a smile on her face.

“Yeah. Our friendship,” Applejack sighed, as she looked up at her window sill, containing a vibrant, rainbow-colored flower.

When Rainbow made her way to the town, she was surprised to see all the ponies scrambling, searching for something.

“Dash!” a friend of hers called out, a purple unicorn mare called Twilight Sparkle.

Dash made her way over to the pony. “What the hay is going on?”

Twilight sighed. “Scootaloo’s missing.”

“WHAT?!”

“I know! I was hoping you’d have an idea of where she was.”

Suddenly Dash remembered the shuffling of the bushes. What if…

“Dash?” Twilight asked, concern spread across her face.

"Oh no! It's my fault! It's always my fault! She must of heard me talking about her! Stupid! Stupid!" Dash was obviously feeling guilty. She was beginning to shake and bang her hooves against her head. Twilight put her hoof on Rainbow's shoulder.

"Dash," she said, firm but comforting. "This is nopony's fault. I won't have yourself berating yourself over a private conversation, especially when Scootaloo's still out there."

Dash calmed herself. "You're right, Twi. Sorry. What have we got?" A white Pegasus with a cloud dissipating as his cutie mark was descending, heading towards them. Dash recognized him. Lightfoot. He was part of her weather team. Dash had always found him to be an alright pony, if a bit too cautious.

"Hopefully something new. Lightfoot was scouting the Everfree Forest. What have you seen?"

"Good news. I spotted some footprints leading into the forest. I double timed it back here to gather up a team." Twilight was about to thank him and compliment him on his quick thinking, but Dash had other feelings. Fury was all across her face, and she quickly unleashed it, staring him down.

"You've found out where she was going, but you were too chicken to go after her! She could be in trouble! She could be hurt, because you 'needed a team,'" she imitated in a whiny voice. Twilight hurriedly stepped between them, rising to Lightfoot's defense.

"The Everfree Forest is dangerous, Dash! Too dangerous for one pony! Lightfoot did the right thing, and I won't have you taking out the anger you feel at yourself on him!" Dash paused, stung by Twilight's rebuke.

"Fine! Too dangerous for you two, maybe! But not for me! Scootaloo's out there, and I'm fastest when I'm alone!" Rainbow sped off towards the Everfree.

"Dash! Wait! I'm sorry! Stop!" Twilight yelled after her. If it was a different situation, Twilight might've been angry at Dash for saying she couldn't handle the Everfree. But she knew dash was just worried and she wanted to help her, support her, and get Scootaloo back. Twilight hoped Rainbow would listen to reason and stop.


But Dash didn’t stop. She had to find Scootaloo. She dove into the forest, not knowing where she was going, but keeping her ears open and soon enough, she heard an acute scream hit the air.

“HELLLLLLLLLLP!”

“Scootaloo!” Dash flew her hardest to where Scootaloo was, and it didn’t look good.It was a more bare area than the mainland of the forest, leading into an intimidating, pitch black cave, but its resident was even more threatening. A large, towering crimson dragon stood over Scootaloo, tellingly angry. Dash knew there was no way she could take on this beast, and instead focused on getting Scoots out of there.

“Dash! Look out!” A large claw swiped near Rainbow, but she expertly dodged it and made way to Scootaloo, picking her up and flying away as fast as she could. Once she was sure they got away from the dragon, Dash turned her anger onto the filly.

“What were you thinking!? You could’ve, you could’ve….” Dash couldn’t finish, her throat choked up.

“What do you care?! I’m too touchy, too close! I’m just a nuisance!”

“You eavesdropped on me didn’t you?” Rainbow’s question was laced with accusation.

“Yeah! I wanted to hang out with you, do something to make up for yesterday. I noticed you going to Applejack’s barn and I wanted to know what you were talking about! N-now I know.” Scootaloo whispered, tears dripping.

“No, you don’t! I was worried about you getting close cause I didn’t know if I’m worth it! I didn’t know if I could be the sister you deserved! And I guess I was right,” she stated, head hung low. “Look at what I got you into.” Regret filled Dash's mind. She was always neglecting those who needed her most. First Gilda, falling out of touch, allowing the Griffin to become petty and jealous. Now she almost got Scootaloo killed cause she couldn't face her feelings for the filly. Maybe she should cut herself off from the squirt, get her disillusioned with her idol, find her a proper sister. But Scootaloo's reply made that option too hard to follow through.

“No! I’m sorry! You’re awesome and amazing and you saved my life! “ she cried. ”And you know what? I... I love you!” Scootaloo whispered, regretful. She didn't know that Dash felt like that. Being so close to the flier she could notice Dash choking up and if she could make a pony as strong as Dash close to tears, she knew she messed up really bad. But maybe she could make it up to her. “I have another reason why I went there. I thought if I got you something special, you’d like me. And look!” Scootaloo pulled up the same type of flower Rainbow held dear as a filly. “I remembered you told me they only grow in the Everfree Forest.”

Rainbow sniffed, a small smile creeping up. “Oh, Scoots.” She gave Scootaloo an uncharacteristically tender nuzzle as they landed back in town. Immediately, Scootaloo’s parents, a red Pegasus stallion and a yellow Pegasus mare, went right up to the two. Initially wearing stern demeanors, they quickly broke down.

“I was so worried!” the dad sobbed. “I didn’t know what happened to you!”

“We’re so glad you’re safe!” the mother cried.

“I’m so sorry!”

They comforted each other for a minute or two, and after regaining their composure, they recovered their sternness.

“You are grounded, missy!” they yelled in unison. Scootaloo didn’t put up a single protest. Now that that was over, Rainbow walked over to the dad while the mother tended to Scootaloo.

“I’m so sorry. This is all my fault. If you don’t want me around your daughter, that’s cool. I understand.”

“Why would we want that?” the dad asked. “We can’t always control our children, no matter how hard we try. When they don’t listen, the best we can do is shield them, which you’ve done quite a bit of.” Rainbow began to protest, but the dad continued. “Rainbow, Scootaloo respects you, admires you, maybe even loves you. And I know you’re a good pony. You brought her back home twice. You never gave up on her. She needs someone like you. So you’ll get the benefit of being the only one allowed to visit Scootaloo during her exile.” He gave a sharp glare at his daughter, causing the filly to quickly lower her eyes.

“Well, uh, thanks. You’re a pretty cool dad.”

“Scootaloo had to get it from somewhere, right?” he asked with a smirk.

He reminds me so much of my dad, Rainbow thought.

“Well, if you don’t mind, I really need to get some sleep.”

“Of course.”

As she flew up to the sky, she looked down at Scootaloo. “See ya tomorrow, pipsqueak!”

“You promise?”

“Pinkie Pie Promise! Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye! I already got one out of three down!”

Looking at that adorable smile made the whole thing worth it.

Comments ( 14 )
#1 · Aug 11th, 2011 · · ·

Dawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!:pinkiehappy:

i can't wait for the rest of the story!!

#3 · Sep 26th, 2011 · · ·

too much D'AAAAAAWWWWWWWWW:heart:

Do I smell a little AppleDash in there?

ya i do to it smells like apples:twilightsheepish: hummmmm

#6 · Nov 25th, 2011 · · ·

So cute! These are the stories that should become episodes. :heart::heart::heart:

#7 · Nov 26th, 2011 · · ·

Dawwwwwwwwwwwww!

i would like to see more of this, maybe a follow up story (rainbow and scoot participating in the sisterhooves social maybe ? :twilightsheepish:)

keep up the good writing at any rate :twilightsmile:

Me like. Good Job. You win a prize.


VIRTUAL HUGS FROM PINKIE PIE. :pinkiecrazy::pinkiehappy:

Short, but sweet
Good job!

really cute :heart:::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Great job! Such a sweet story I loved it! :heart::scootangel:

Login or register to comment