• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 2,468 Views, 76 Comments

A time of sadness - Slick Dash



The sequel to my story "My Little Dream girl." And takes place 11 months later and tragedy strikes!

  • ...
2
 76
 2,468

The service

It was cold inside the church, the windows rose high above my head reminding me of the stain glass windows of Canterlotte. How different this place was though, in Canterlotte there had been an atmosphere of joy and happiness, and in here all I could sense was misery. I was sat on the end of the closest pew to the coffin. It lay just 5 feet away; the top half lay open to show Tom lying peacefully inside.

Rarity was right, he wouldn’t have looked right if he’d been wearing anything other than the suit she had made him. The church was nearly full by the time the ceremony began, I only just recognised everypony here and I was sure Tom hadn’t known everyone who had shown up but I couldn’t ask anyone if they had known him. I couldn’t ask anything, I couldn’t even SAY anything. I felt as if I had an apple wedged down my throat, stopping me from saying a word.

The minister stood there, and said his words. “Kind, generous, loving, loved.” Though the words described Tom perfectly, I knew they were just the words the man spoke at every service. I felt almost sick at the thought that no words would be said that really described the man I loved with all my heart.
The minister finished and stepped down from the podium. I heard movement on the other end of the bench I was sat on. Twilight had stood. Oh my gosh! I’d forgotten she was going to make a speech! Though I had only wished for it only a second ago, I now didn’t want to hear honest words about Tom, they would break my heart all over again as I listened to the other pony who had loved him speak because I didn’t have the guts!

The purple unicorn walked up to the podium, her hoof steps echoed around the huge hall as she did. Once she reached it she stood tall and cleared her throat, and began to speak.
“As you all know, I was the pony who found Tom when he came here and I think a lot of ponies –even if they didn’t say it- were opposed to the idea of me bringing him back to ponyville. But I stand by that decision, because if I hadn’t brought Tom here, we would have all missed the chance of having a truly great friend coming into our lives. Tom would always be willing to help those in need.” She looked at Applejack, who smiled warmly at her recollection of her and Tom working together. “He would always try to make our lives easier wherever he could,” She turned her eyes to Pinkie who giggled slightly at her memories of rushing around sugar Cube Corner madly before Tom had sent me and Twilight to help. Twilight’s breath caught in her throat for a moment, I was sure she was about to finally cry. But she calmed herself and continued unhindered.

“Tom was the one of the kindest, considerate, and loving people I have ever known.” She finally turned her gaze towards me, “And I know I speak for everypony here when I say, Rainbow, if you ever need anything we are all here for you. You just need to ask. Thank you.” She stepped down from the podium and returned to her seat. I felt a hoof on my leg, I looked up to see Rarity sitting next to me. She smiled at me warmly, showing that Twilight was right and that she was here for me. I still couldn’t speak, I gave a measly nod and looked back to the ground.

Soon the service was over, we filed outside slowly and were led to a terrible hole in the ground in the centre of the graveyard. I was asked to stand by the hole, I did so without protest. I had no fight in me, it felt as though I was simply working on autopilot, I could see everything happening but couldn’t control what I did. As I watched, the coffin was brought out. The lid was now closed, I wished I had taken a longer look at his resting face before it had been shut forever. Four stallions were carrying it down towards its new resting place. Big Macintosh was one of them, and the other three were the cousins that Applejack had asked to help.

As the procession approached me and the gaping hole to my side, I felt a warm foreleg wrap around my shoulder. I turned to see Applejack herself, with tears in her eyes. My legs felt weak suddenly, and I threw my forelegs around her, for support and to feel someone close to me.

I kept on looking as the coffin reached the gap in the ground, and the stallions began to lower it into the ground.
“Uhhh... please wait a moment.” I looked around to find the person who had stopped the ceremony, the voice was unmistakable. Why had Fluttershy asked to stop this? The crowd seemed to part, and Fluttershy was revealed. She had a single lily in her hair placed just above her ear, and she was being followed by a group of humming birds. The birds behind her were carrying a wreath of flowers I had never seen before.

This must have been what she had been doing leading up to today. Where had she gotten them? They didn’t grow around ponyville. Had she gone through the Everfree forest to find them? She turned to the birds, “Thank you.” She bowed her head, and the small green and blue winged creatures lowered the horseshoe shaped wreath over her head and then flew away. Fluttershy then moved over to the coffin, tilting her head down to let the flowers slowly slide up her neck. They eventually slid over her small ears and landed lightly on top of the casket bellow her. She didn’t speak, she just walked backwards never looking away from the black box.

She came to a halt next to me and Applejack, she reached up and laid a hoof on my shoulder to comfort me. I watched, as the flower covered coffin was lowered into the ground and out of sight. I knew what was coming next, I tore my eyes away pushing my face deep into Applejack’s shoulder. But that didn’t stop the noise. I listened to the sound of the dirt being scooped up, and thrown onto the top of the wooden casket. ‘Scrape...flump...scrape...flump’

I began to sob, realising that I had now seen Tom for the last time. As he was buried in the ground, leaving me forever. I heard Applejack begin to cry, I could feel her wet tears seeping into my mane. The hoof on my shoulder began to shake as Fluttershy began to weep as well. None of us wailed...none of us screamed...we simply wept silently and miserably...we just wept.