• Published 11th Sep 2013
  • 17,859 Views, 757 Comments

(Re)Birth Through Fire - Spacecowboy



[Philomena x Human][Rom][Adv][Dark][Hu] Jason has spent countless lives in Equestria, each of them being more troubling than the last. This life, however, presents a new set of challenges

  • ...
51
 757
 17,859

Interlude

Jason held out his hand to Philomena, who took it as they walked out to the balcony. Just out of the shower and clothed once more, they opened the doors and took in the crisp evening air, the last vestiges of the sun's light illuminating the vast landscape within their sight. The mountainside gave way to rolling hills and valleys, and in the distance the humble town of Ponyville was visible. The rays of light cast a light red tint to everything as it began its slow trek below the horizon.

He slowly let go of her hand as he rested both of them on the balcony, taking in another deep breath and smiling as he looked over the landscape. "That was... something else, Philomena. I never thought something like this would ever really happen, y'know?" he spoke, melancholy underlying his words.

She came up behind him, being careful of his wings as she wrapped him in a hug from behind. "Tell me about it, Jay. For nearly two-thousand years I stayed by Celestia's side, and while Luna was... gone, I felt obligated to stay near her rather than continuing to search for others of my kind. Time hasn't been good to them, after all." she quietly spoke, nestling herself into his back. "...but still, I'd say it's all worth this, here and now."

"...I'd say so as well, Philo." Jason stated after letting silence dominate for a few moments. He carefully removed her hands from around him and then turned around, taking both of her hands in his. "A lot has changed in just the last few years, I feel... free, almost. That sounds kind of silly, though." he chuckled, squeezing her hands tighter. "Although I disliked it, spending time as a phoenix was... enlightening?"

Philomena laughed her musical sound and then leaned up to plant a quick kiss on his mouth. "Enlightening? That's an odd way to put it, Jay. You sure it wasn't me saying that I'd finally found someone worth spending some quality time with, hmm?" she sighed, leaning into him. "When you first showed up, I had felt... something about you that just seemed right. Then, we got to spend all that time together, pranking, talking, anything really... and then things happened.

"You ended up having a phoenix's magic within you, and then I died in that mansion..." Jason wrapped his hands around her, pulling Philomena tight to him as she shivered slightly. "you saved my life, and Celestia said that we were... unique. A start of something new. I'd already known you as a great friend, it really wasn't that large of a leap, was it, Jay?"

He smiled reassuringly at her, lightly pecking her on the forehead. "Yeah, it has been a bit crazy lately, and no... it wasn't. The whole being a bird bit got in the way of things, though." Philomena lightly bit his shoulder, then looked up and glared slightly, causing him to laugh. "Hey, even if it had been seven months instead of weeks, I still wouldn't have liked it completely." He stuck his tongue out at her childishly. "Still, we were able to spend plenty of time together, and learning to fly was amazing."

"And it was very enjoyable teaching you, Jay. Even if you were a slow learner," she quipped. She sighed and wrapped her arms around him, closing her eyes and resting her head on Jason's shoulder. "At least now we can go on proper dates, and have other days like this one, right? Cause... that was amazing."

Jason laughed, sending reverberations through Philomena. "Yeah, that was. Gotta thank Celestia too, otherwise who knows who might've heard us... You're pretty damn loud!" He tightened his embrace before she could move to hit him in retaliation. "Nope, none of that now."

She struggled for only a few moments before relaxing again, opening her eyes and piercing him with that emerald gaze. "...just remember who wears the pants in this relationship, Jay."

He looked down quizzically, a confused look on his face. "Uh, I do at the moment it appears. You're the one wearing a skirt."

Philomena laughed, looking at him with a mischievous glint in her eyes. "So, Rarity really liked the skirts, who was I to tell her otherwise? But remember who it is that comes up with all of those pranks... you don't want to be on the receiving end for once, do you?"

They both laughed, Jason loosening his embrace and passionately kissing her. She leaned into it, returning the kiss with equal fervor. It was not until they needed breath that their lips parted, a radiant glow surrounding them. "...I think I'd rather keep giving you a place to come back to after you pull a prank on someone else."

Jason sighed, looking at the horizon in time to see the last pinch of yellow dip below the horizon, the moon and accompanying stars filling the night sky. "Shall we head back in? It's going to be a busy day tomorrow, between Twilight, her friends, and who knows what else." She nodded in response as a small yawn ripped itself from her throat. Philomena let out a surprised squeak as Jason leaned down slightly and picked her up in his arms; one supporting behind her knees and the other her back, being mindful of her wings the entire time.

He took one last look at the rising moon, a smile on his face as he turned to Philomena. Their eyes met, and he impulsively locked lips with her one more time, slowly walking inside while doing so. Jason gently set her down on the bed, removing his shirt before taking a spot next to her.

"Tomorrow is going to be a busy day, but even then... No matter what it brings, we'll be able to tackle it. Together."

Author's Note:

Breaking the unwritten rule of no pictures in the story body, had to show the first picture of a few that I'll be getting over the next few months of Philomena and Jason. Art is by BillieW over on DeviantArt, fair prices for what I believe to be good quality artwork. Image is located here if it doesn't load in the text. When I get home later, I'll reduce its size to make it easier to load for those on cellular devices.

I've been talking it somewhat easy lately, but will probably get back to the writing grind soon. Still thoroughly fascinated with this story. Hopefully you enjoy the short interlude here, hopefully by now it's somewhat obvious their relation changed, and in a somewhat believable fashion, after the incident at the mansion. I'll still be fillings things in, but the dots should all be there now.

Hopefully I'll have another full length chapter for y'all in a few days to a week or so. Have a good one, folks!