• Published 17th Sep 2013
  • 3,848 Views, 77 Comments

City of Shadows - GuyGalProductions



Reclusive ex-model Fluttershy has been made the victim of an unimaginably sadistic stalker, and only one woman can save her: Rainbow Dash, Private Eye

  • ...
6
 77
 3,848

Chapter Three: Obstruction

Chapter Three: Obstruction

Rainbow looked up through the curtain of drizzle to see one of her least favorite buildings in the whole of Manehatten: the local police precinct.

She frowned at the building’s gray utilitarian facade. She only ever had two reasons to visit the police station. The first being to dig up details on cases, which was an excruciating ordeal given the fact that most of the officers treated her like a scum sucking bottom feeder simply because she rented her skills out rather than put on the blue uniform of a Manehatten cop. The second, and even less glamorous reason, was that since her line of work involved the occasional light trespassing and other miscellaneous petty crimes, she had landed herself more than one night in the station’s holding cells.

Next to her, holding the umbrella high above their heads, Fluttershy looked upon the police precinct with apprehensiveness. She herself didn’t have much of an easy time, considering that she’d been trying to report and get some help when they couldn’t do so. Not out of any sort of personal gripe against her, but simply that a lack of evidence or any traces of her stalker meant that they couldn’t do anything.

Fluttershy exhaled, looking to her honourary bodyguard. At least now, she had a bit more backup to prove her case.

“I hope they can help me, now…” She murmured out loud, her voice soft. “At least we have something.”

“Yeah, well, I wouldn’t hold your breath,” Rainbow said pessimistically, “Don’t get me wrong, this is the best thing to do, but in my experience they like their paperwork.”

Fluttershy nodded, “That’s true. I-I don’t want to be a bother to them… I’ve had to call them so many times… Just for some kind of assurance… I had nowhere else to turn to… They must be so tired of me…”

“Hey that’s not what I meant,” Rainbow said, a sympathetic quality in her rough voice. “You shouldn’t feel bad about making them do their job. If they could pull their heads out of their asses maybe they wouldn’t leave monsters like that on the streets.” She looked to the building scornfully, “At least you can turn to me now, and not have to rely on the bumbling boys in blue.”

Giving a smile, a warm feeling coursed through her heart, “Thank you.”

“No problem,” Rainbow drew herself up a bit, Fluttershy’s smile proving a bit contagious, “But just for kicks, let’s hold on to some this evidence hmm? Not all of it, just a camera. I might know someone who can help us. Off the books.”

“Really?” Fluttershy looked at her with mild surprise, “Well, okay, but how can this person help?”

“He knows gizmos, and just might know what shops sell this kind of thing,” Rainbow waved a hand airily, “Clues, leads and all that. Same things the cops would find, its just we don’t need fifty interdepartmental memos, reports and summaries for my guy to let us know what’s what.”

“I see… Well, okay, we can do that too,” said the pinkette as they approached the building. “It’d be good if we can get all the help we can.”

Rainbow grunted in affirmation. “We gotta give the cops something so this guy can see the inside of a cell one day, but that don’t mean I’m dropping your case.”

Smiling more, Fluttershy reached for the door handle, which Rainbow took instead and opened it for her. Closing her umbrella, the timid woman thanked her before stepping into the police precinct.

The uniformed sergeant manning the desk was a rather put upon looking woman. Her dark hair was pulled back into ponytail, but visible in the strands were a pair of streaks of purple and pink. She scanned the new arrivals with an evaluating gaze, then upon recognizing the former model, she sighed.
“Morning Ms. Fluttershy,” the police officer said in an automatic sort of manner, “I’m sorry but there hasn’t been movement on your case.”

“Wrong,” Rainbow Dash said flatly, approaching the desk and lightly tossing several of the cameras onto it. “Be good and find an evidence bag for those Officer…” Rainbow read the nametag on the woman’s uniform, “...Sparkle.”

“Y-Yes…” Fluttershy spoke up, “I’m sorry to be bothering you, of course. But we did find some tangible evidence. We found these cameras last night in my apartment, which I was unaware of all this time. I don’t know how long they’ve been there, but it’s obviously that it’s him.”

Officer Twilight Sparkle just gaped down at the cameras for a moment before regaining her composure. “Thank you, Ms. Fluttershy, and my thanks to your associate. I will make sure to log these right away. This will hopefully be the break we need in your case.”

Rainbow simply scoffed and gave Fluttershy a look the clearly communicated her lack of faith in the police.

Twilight’s mouth drew into a tight line. “I didn’t get your name Ms….?”

Rainbow gave a cocky smirk, “Rainbow Dash. I’m sure you’ve heard of me around the watercooler. You know, the woman who does all of your jobs better than you.”

Twilight looked unamused. “Yes. I’ve heard of you.” Rainbow looked satisfied with herself, that was until Twilight added, “I’ve also heard about a shooting near Ms. Fluttershy’s apartment. Some blood on the pavement but no one in the hospital. You wouldn’t know anything about that would you?”

Rainbow looked surprised, “What’re you, psychic?... and this is all circumstantial by the way.”

It was Twilight’s turn to look smug, “I make connections. But I wouldn’t worry Ms. Dash, there are no complaining witnesses, so I have no reason to charge you with anything. Don’t give me one, deal?”

“Deal,” Rainbow replied, not sure whether she liked or disliked the woman.

“Um…” Fluttershy spoke up, uncertain whether or not to reveal it. “It was complicated.”

“Don’t tell me anything else,” Twilight said quickly, “If you do, I’ll have to write it up.”

Rainbow frowned a bit. ‘At least she’s honest about it….’

“Right! Um… so…” Fluttershy looked from the cop to the detective, “...What next?”

“Memos, reports, paperwork,” Dash said sardonically, “and we put our faith in the great city of Manehatten’s finest.”

Twilight gave the private eye a death glare. “The rules exist for a reason Ms. Dash,” She said coldly, “I’ll pass this evidence along. I will contact you, Ms. Fluttershy, if there are any developments.” Twilight pulled a few clear plastic evidence baggies from a drawer in the desk, “And Ms. Dash, please try not to interfere with the investigation. Though…” Her features softened a bit, “I’m glad to see Ms. Fluttershy has someone looking out for her. As a member of the police force my hands are tied. Protection is expensive and the department has strict guidelines on assigning uniformed guard to civilians, but in my personal opinion Fluttershy is most certainly in need of protection. Thank you for providing that for her.”

“Uh… No problem,” Rainbow replied, once again conflicted in her opinion for the officer.

Fluttershy gave a grateful smile of her own, before deciding to put in a good word for her protector. “Yes… She’s been great in helping me and defending me. I really couldn’t have asked for anything better.”

“From what I’ve heard of her, I’d expect no less,” Twilight gave Rainbow another little once over, “Even if she is a bit unorthodox in her methods, she has a reputation for being very tenacious.”

“Standing. Right. Here.” Rainbow said with a roll of her eyes.

Standing her ground, Fluttershy smiled, “Well, I have faith in her.”

Rainbow felt a swelling of pride in her chest. Not her usual cocky front, but a deep feeling of pride that took its root in Fluttershy’s words and the fact that they genuinely touched Rainbow. The detective now simply and put a hand on Fluttershy’s shoulder, “Alright then, if there’s nothing else you need officer….”

“We’ll be going, then, um… but thank you for your time,” Fluttershy said softly, placing her hand over Rainbow’s. She wasn’t sure why, whether it was the instinct of touch or simply because she wanted to return the gesture. Either way, the pinkette felt a strange spark course through her hand and all over her body. Not static-like, but a different kind of feeling she hadn’t expected.

Rainbow felt a tingling travel through her skin. It seemed like every time they touched, there was something different to it… more than the feel of skin on skin.

Pushing it from her mind for the moment, Rainbow turned back to Twilight, and shot her a grin, “Adios, Sparkle.”

Using her hand resting on Fluttershy’s shoulder to steer the ex-model, Rainbow lead them from the station and back out into the chaos of the Manehatten morning.

“So… where do we go from here? What should we do?” Fluttershy asked, her tone a mixture of curious and uncertain. “I’m sorry, you must be a lone wolf and hearing all this ‘we’ is getting to you. I’m sorry.”

The odd thing was...it hadn’t, in fact, Rainbow hadn’t spared it much thought. “Naw I’m fine,” She said, trying to reason aloud. “I mean this is my job right? Sure it isn’t pounding the pavement solo-like, but it’s what you’re paying me to do. What more could I ask for?”

“Okay…” Fluttershy smiled, “So, what’s our next step?”

“We drop by to see my techie pal,” Rainbow smirked, “We see if he can dig anything up, then we see where that takes us.”

Fluttershy nodded, giving a smile, “All right, then. Let’s do that.”

XXXX

One train ride later Rainbow led Fluttershy into new and used electronics store on the edge of one of Manehatten’s rougher areas. The building itself was more than a bit careworn, and the windows her covered in a metal mesh to deter any would be thefts.

“Charming, I know,” Rainbow said to Fluttershy, noting the mild look of concern on her features. “But Haywire is the best in the business, and he is generally pretty good at not asking too many questions as long as I play nice. As a bonus, I did a job for him a while back and now he helps me out with info on those of his customers who don’t play nice.”

“Okay, no problem…” Fluttershy said, a bit uncertain, but ready nonetheless.

Rainbow pushed open the door to the shop and was greeted by the electronic *Bing~Bong* of the door. The interior of the store look only slightly less rough than the outside. While there was a wide array of various electronics from TVs to clock radios, there were also various bin laying about marked “Parts.” Combine this with the crowded feeling inspired by the sheer multitude of Haywire’s inventory, and it gave the shop more of a feel of some sort of bizarre indoor junkyard.

Dash made a beeline for a little counter at the back of the store, though there was no one behind it.

“Oh come on Haywire, I know you’re there!” She called out in the direction of a small doorway that was partitioned from the main shop by a curtain.

Out from behind the curtain hesitantly emerged a young man with short gold hair and eyes the color of a computer crash. He wore glasses, the round frames of which seemed give him a constant expression of bewilderment. He wore a rumpled forest green dress shirt that was unbuttoned one button too many, dark grey slacks, and a battered tweed blazer complete with leather patches over the elbows.

“Hey there, Rainbow. Sorry I didn’t hear you come in,” He said with an anxious smile.

“B.S.” Rainbow replied flatly. “You got this place wired up like it’s a military base.”

“Okay fine, fine, fine,” He said quickly, “Yes I knew it was you, I just wanted a nice quiet evening for once. No extra work. I got an internet date tonight and everything, man.”

“Shouldn’t be too bad,” Rainbow said producing the lipstick camera from a pocket of her coat, “Just need to know what you can tell me about this and your playtime with your new gal pal won’t get bumped from tonight’s line up, okay?”

Haywire took the camera and looked it over, “Five years ago I could have given you a very short list of suppliers for this kind of thing, a couple of phone calls, and you’d be on your way. Nowadays though, they're pretty common. Any online spy shop probably could sell you one, though this one is a bit high end… probably has great resolution. Need me to try and recover anything from it?”

“No!” Rainbow said quickly, “Just crack it open and tell me what you can find out, let me know if it’s been modded, the works.”

Haywire gave a low whistle, “That gonna take some time, Dash, how soon you need it by?”

“How soon can you do it?”

“Look I got a business to run here, and a personal life too, ya know?”

“How soon?” Rainbow added a bit of a growl to her voice.

“Tomorrow morning!” Haywire said, throwing up his hands in a sign of appeasement, “I can call you sooner if I find something pressing, okay?”

“Fine,” Rainbow conceded, her voice now more playful than angry. “It gets to be too late and I’m gonna stick that thing somewhere you won’t like.”

“Hey do I ever disappoint?”

Rainbow rolled her eyes, “Just get it done.”

“Um…. thank you for your help, Mr. Haywire…” Fluttershy said in a soft tone, though she wasn’t looking him in the eye.

Haywire gave a little laugh, “I like your new assistant there, Dash. Might not wanna take out of the office too much though, she looks like a stiff breeze would knock her over.”

Rainbow narrowed her gaze at the shopkeeper, her jovial air seemingly having instantaneously evaporated.

Haywire backpedaled, “I mean...I’m sure looks are deceiving… am I right?”

“Just focus on your work, and we won’t have any problems,” Rainbow growled, before turning her back to Haywire, “C’mon, Flutters.”

Nodding, Fluttershy offered a timid wave before she then followed Rainbow out the door. The drizzle was still going on, so she opened the umbrella for them. Yet another step taken to getting the case going, which was far more progress than she’d imagined. To think, in less than a week, they had managed to get this far. It wasn’t much, but it was certainly a lot better than finding nothing before.

It wasn’t even late in the morning, there was still a full day ahead of them. Once more, Fluttershy had the burning question in her mind. What was next? It even occurred to her that they would soon part ways. If not now, then sometime during the day. For whatever reason, even beyond the fact that she was good protection, Fluttershy felt uneasy. There was something about the other woman’s company that she enjoyed. Just simply being with her, being with another person. Someone who did, in some way, care.

‘She cares because it’s her job, because a man is threatening an innocent life and breaking the law. That’s it. She doesn’t care… beyond that….’ Fluttershy thought, crestfallen. ‘I wonder if we’d be… friends after the case is over? Or would she move on, get more clients, and forget about me?’

“So… looks like we have some time to kill,” Rainbow said, stretching her arms. “So… What does a reclusive ex-model do to pass the time?”

“Me? ….Well, I don’t know. I suppose it depends what I want to do, where I am, and such. If I go out, it’s usually to run errands or to go to Central Park,” Fluttershy said, “I don’t even really eat out, much. I get take-out or pick-up. I mean… what’s the point? I’m just going alone, and that’s okay, I do bring a book with me. But it honestly isn’t that much fun dining in a public place all by yourself.”

Rainbow felt a stab of empathy for the woman. It seemed that even before being stalked had made her a prisoner to her fear, she had been a prisoner of her own loneliness. Dash knew the feeling all too well. Rainbow truly was a lone wolf. Her upbringing had made it a necessity, but there’s a problem with that saying. Wolves are pack animals, it is in their nature to seek companionship… even if they had spent their lives alone. Even if a hard life had made the process of internalizing that companionship difficult.

“Yeah, I know what you mean,” Rainbow said with a bit of a sad smile, “That’s why I usually spend most nights at the bar, when I’m not working that is. Closest thing to friends that I have.”

Looking back to her, Fluttershy returned the sad smile. It helped just a bit to know that Rainbow understood where she was coming from. “Really? Well, I guess we both… have had lonely times. Well… for what it’s worth, I have enjoyed spending time with you. I know it’s part of your job, but, it’s still be very fun. I liked the bar we went to, it was so inviting and friendly. Pinkie Pie may be unorthodox and silly, but it was refreshing to be around someone who has such a lust for life and just wanted to make others happy. It was nice… I’m glad we’ve been able to spend time together… I know it sounds silly, but I… I’m glad, you’re here with me…”

“And it’s all kinds of unprofessional, but I’m glad to have someone to spend some time with too.” A bit of the sadness left Dash’s smile, the expression become more genuine. “You’re right about Pinkie though. She lives life like it’s her last day on earth. It’s why I like hanging around her. I’m able to sap a little of that positive energy, and I can’t help but smile. She’s a walking, talking antidepressant.” Rainbow shifted her gaze away from Fluttershy. “....the liquor helps too…”

Fluttershy giggled a bit, giving more of a smile, “I suppose it does… Well, we’re here now, we have time to spare… What should we do?”

Rainbow puffed out her cheeks before letting out a long exhale, “Uh… bar? Lunch? Take over the jukebox, chill out, all that jazz?”

“Sure… That’d be nice,” she said, nodding in agreement.

“Yeah, yeah, I know when it comes to fun I’m a one trick pony, but what are you gonna do?” Rainbow laughed.

Fluttershy laughed too, grinning, “Well, I’m not exactly a barrel of ideas, either! One-trick-pony is what I do.”

Rainbow grinned and put an arm around Fluttershy’s shoulders, steering her towards the subway station. “Okay, but I’m now officially off the clock, ‘kay? Not gonna let you pay me to hang out and have drinks with a friend.”

The contact had Fluttershy blushing, but she fully welcomed it. It was nice to have someone who was being friendly and protecting her this way, and it had been ages since she’d felt that kind of contact. She smiled more, walking closer to her, and nodded. In turn, she brought her own arm around Rainbow’s waist to further establish the nice contact. “Fair enough. Let’s go, then.”

Rainbow beamed at her client. This felt nice… Not like she was taking advantage of their predicament, but like something more organic. It was something much more palatable for Rainbow’s professionalism.

XXXX

Another train ride deposited the pair of women near enough to their target destination. A short walk and they once again passed through the door and a bemused Applejack to take a pair of seats at a small booth towards the back of the bar.

An impeccably styled woman who, despite wearing a server’s uniform and apron, still gave off an air of dignity and grace. “Hmmm, at the bar before noon, not too out of the ordinary…” The purple-haired woman said, looking amused, “But my my, you have a friend. Nice to meet you darling, name if Rarity and...” Rarity’s face pinched slightly, as if tasting something bitter, “...and I’ll be taking your order…”

“H-Hello, Rarity… my name is Fluttershy,” Fluttershy said, removing the wig from her head and stuffing it into her purse. “Um, it’s too early for me to drink, so I think I’ll… um… have a 7UP and…” She looked at the menu curiously, “A toasted veggie sandwich, salad on the side, please.”

“Thank you, dear, and I already know what you’re having Rainbo-... Wait-a-moment!” A flame lit itself behind Rarity’s eyes. “Fluttershy? Not the Fluttershy?”

Realizing her error, but knowing she couldn’t back down from it, Fluttershy nodded. “Yes. The same Fluttershy, former model….”

Rainbow rolled her eyes, but a knowing smile graced her lips.

“That is simply magnificent!” Rarity beamed, leaning in to inspect Fluttershy further, “I followed your career quite closely, short as it was, it was something quite unique. A departure from the standard presentation and emotional evocation in the industry. A meek model, it was simply unheard of. I follow fashion very closely mind you, and am even a bit of an amatuer designer myself.” She placed her hand over the pinkette’s in a familiar manner in an attempt to build rapport. “Perhaps I could even bother you to model a few pieces~”

“U-Um…. Well… I… I appreciate your offer, but I don’t model anymore… I-I wouldn’t want to be a bother to you. Um… but as long as cameras and lights and so many eyes aren’t looking at me, that’d be okay…” Fluttershy stammered.

“It’s okay ‘shy. You don’t have to it if you don’t want to,” Rainbow said a bit flatly, scowling at Rarity. She knew the waitress all too well by now, and she knew she could be a bit… opportunistic.

Rarity look conflicted, but resolved herself with a nod and patted Fluttershy’s hand before withdrawing her own. “Rainbow is correct dear, I wouldn’t want to pressure you…” She said sounding hesitant, yet knowing it was the right thing to do.

Giving a smile, Fluttershy relaxed a bit, “It’s okay. I wasn’t expecting it. But um… I wouldn’t mind. Working one-on-one with designers was a bit more comfortable for me, anyway. And while I didn’t like the big aspect of modeling, I do respect designers. They put a lot of work and effort into their clothes. And I wouldn’t mind helping you.”

Rarity looked overjoyed, clapping her hands excitedly. “Oh my, thank you so much darling! I see the rumors of your kindness were not exaggerated. Don’t worry I won’t thrust you into the spotlight again. Just a few pictures is all I will ask. No runway work, promise.”

Rainbow laughed a little, shaking her head. “Goodie for you, now how about you get our food now, eh?”

Rarity looked at Dash as if she were the proverbial fly in her ointment. “Coming right up,” She said icily, yet in her eyes was still the undimmed excitement at her good fortune.

“Thank you, Rarity…” Fluttershy said in a soft tone.

The waitress beamed once more at Fluttershy before bustling off to the kitchen.

Rainbow sighed a bit and offered a little grin to Fluttershy. “She doesn’t let up until she gets what she wants. Usually it’s just a favor here and there, but she is usually good about repaying them. Just be glad she only wanted you for a few pictures, one night she decided it was AJ that she wanted. You should have seen it, Rarity closes out a set, orders one too many martinis and starts hanging off Applejack. Personally I think she might have been playing things up, but sure enough AJ walks her home, and spent the night I’d wager. Two have been dating ever since.”

“Oh my…” Fluttershy blushed at the thought, but smiled, “I see. She seems pretty nice… Um, so, she and that bouncer, Applejack, are dating? ...That’s really sweet.”

“Yeah sweet,” Rainbow laughed a bit. “That’s one way to put it. Word of advice, don’t go looking for them on their breaks. You might end up seeing more than you want.”

The implications made her blush heavily, “I-I know the feeling… Back when I was a model, I had this one hairdresser. Sometimes she was late showing up for a shoot to do a my hair. So one morning, I went looking for her, and I found her in one of the back rooms where they kept the clothes… actually fornicating with one of the technicians. It wasn’t something I wanted to see…”

Rainbow giggled a bit before straightening her features and trying to look sympathetic. “Uh… Sorry you had to see that Fluttershy.” A little grin spread her lips. “But um… ‘fornicating?’ C’mon ‘shy, who talks like that? No offense.”

“Sorry,” the pinkette looked embarrassed, “it’s a habit of mine. I don’t like to be crude. Um, but it’s okay. I wasn’t traumatized or anything. It was just surprising.”

“Ah, I’m sorry,” Rainbow said with a sheepish glance at Fluttershy. “I was just poking fun. I unfortunately live in a very crude world. Guess it seems a bit silly to see someone stepping so lightly over it.”

Fluttershy shook her head, smiling again, “I know, it is a bit silly. Sometimes I don’t even… well, catch myself. But I just do it to be polite around others, that’s all, and it works. But it’s true, times have changed.”

“Well you don’t have to be polite around me,” Rainbow grinned. “If you can’t get a little rougher around the edges with a seedy private eye, then who?”

“Point taken,” Fluttershy smiled back, leaning a little over the table, “I have to say, I do feel… well, a bit more comfortable in a way I never expected.”

“It’s mutual,” Rainbow replied. “ I mean, I guess it’s just been entirely too long since I’ve met some like you… Actually I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone like you.”

Fluttershy blushed, “I didn’t, either. I don’t think I’ve ever met someone like you. Especially with your rainbow hair…”

“Oh I see, it’s all about my looks isn’t it?” Rainbow joked.

“Well, if you don’t mind my saying!” Fluttershy normally would’ve found herself apologizing, but it was one of the rare times she actually caught on to the fact that she was playing around. “I think you’re lovely~”

“Well right back at ya, Ms. Model~” Rainbow said laughing, though her statement still stood as truth.

The statement made Fluttershy blush and giggle, “Thank you…”

Rarity appeared with their drinks at about that moment, placing them on the table she observed the scene before her. She gave the pair a smile, clearly reading into their actions more than they themselves had admitted aloud.

Dash took her glass of fizzy amber-colored cider and sipped at at. “Mmm… Well hey, no problem.” She said as though Rarity had not interrupted them with her presence. “Need I remind you were a model. So I am pretty sure I’m not alone in my opinion.”

“I know, that’s true… But I suppose it feels different hearing it from a different perspective,” Fluttershy admitted, smiling as she sipped her drink, “It’s one thing hearing it day after day when you got into work and having to model several outfits for a runway track or a shoot. But to hear it from a more laid back and honest kind of way, I think it means a bit more.”

“Well I’m nothing if not honest,” Rainbow half-joked taking another deeper draught of her drink. “But I’m not afraid to tell you what I’ve been saying ever since I saw your picture on the cover of a magazine. You’re gorgeous, Flutter-baby.”

‘Flutter-baby?’ Fluttershy thought, having not expected that. A few associates she’d worked with in the modeling industry called her that, which always made her uncomfortable. But hearing it from Rainbow’s lips had a strange appeal to it she didn’t understand. She smiled more, giggling with glee, “Thank you, Dashie. Hee… you’re sweet. I um… well, you’ve seen my photos for a while?”

“Yeah,” Rainbow admitted, a slight pink tint to her cheeks. “Let’s just say I liked ‘em quite a bit, and I’ve seen most of them right from the beginning.”

“You have?”

There was a certain thrill to know that this woman was, in some way, following her previous work. And even found her genuinely attractive. This was nothing new, you heard this all the time in the entertainment industry; most especially when it came to being a model.

Fluttershy smiled, her heart going aflutter, “Well… Then it really must’ve been worth it. If I never became a model… I might never have met you.”

“Well count me as happy that we did meet, You’re much more awesome in real life than on the page,” Rainbow said with a smile.

The blush deepened as Fluttershy looked away, but her smile grew, “Awww… Hee… Well, I feel the same way. When I’d first seen you, I didn’t know what to think, and yet I was so intrigued like you wouldn’t believe. But I can say that you’re….more awesome than I imagined you~”

“Pffft,” Rainbow scoffed playfully. “Thanks, really I mean it but… C’mon, really? I mean I know I’m awesome but I’m not that kind of respectable all-around awesome that you’re implying. I’m good at what I do, let’s leave it at that.”

“Perhaps not, but I think you’re great,” Fluttershy blushed, not quite looking at her. “If that… means anything. I-I’m not about to sugarcoat anything, but I do give you credit where it’s due.”

“Thanks, I’ll take it then,” Rainbow said enjoying the compliment. She often put up an arrogant front, but it was generally in compensation for the lack of actual genuine praise she received… Well that and she just plain enjoyed thumbing her nose in the face of authority.

“And for what it’s worth,” Rainbow said between a few sips of cider. “It does actually mean a lot coming from you,” She concluded, suppressing the tiniest niggling doubt that Fluttershy’s high opinion of her was savior worship.

Giggling, the former model smiled with more vigour and seemed more relaxed, “Wonderful. Well, I know that this is unprofessional… but I do really like you, Rainbow… I hope we’ll be able to… spend more time together…”

“Sure why not,” Rainbow said confidently, having had every intention of doing just that. “Once this nightmare is behind you we can totally hang out, and keep being friends. I gotta say, It’s kind of nice to not be coming in here alone.”

“You’re right, it is nice…” Fluttershy felt a burst of joy in her heart knowing that the feeling was mutual. “It’s just nice to be somewhere like this, and with someone else. I… I’ve forgotten how nice it was.”

“I know the feeling. This place is pretty much the height of my social calendar. Take this away and…” Rainbow felt an empathic wave of loneliness. “I can’t image what that’s like…The solitude… Can’t believe you’re still sane, honestly.”

Fluttershy reached over, touching her hand, feeling the sparks yet again. “I do enjoy the solitude most of the time, it is something I seek. However, even I… can use companionship.”

“Well consider me your companion for hire and then, once we wrap this case up, a companion for real,” Rainbow said smiling, not even the slightest doubt that they would solve what had thus far been an unsolvable case.

‘Her confidence is so...wonderful. Almost anyone has said that the case was hopeless… But maybe it doesn’t have to be… And with her there to help…’ Fluttershy smiled brightly, “I’d love that very much, Rainbow.”

“Then it’s a deal, we are gonna be officially pals once we wrap this up,” Rainbow said with a grin, and adding internally, ‘Maybe more than that if I ask you out and my streak of good luck holds~’

‘I do find her attractive… Maybe… Maybe she’ll want to be more than friends by then...’ Fluttershy thought. She melted, finding herself enjoying the other woman’s grin. Idly, she played with her fingers, interlacing them, “It’s a deal. And I’m a woman of my word~”

Rainbow’s smirk only intensified. She was off the clock now. There was no investigative work to be done, no imminent threats to her client, and no pesky rules guiding her interaction with her. Just two women sharing a meal, talking and joking.

“I bet you are~” Rainbow responded, taking a moment to admire her client for what she was before she had walked into her office: the most attractive woman Dash had ever laid eyes on. Sure it was a tad unprofessional, but Rainbow kept reminding herself she was only looking, not touching.

‘I bet she would be amazing in bed-no! No no! I can’t think that! She’s working for me to help me with the case! Oh goodness, why do I do this to myself? She probably isn’t even a lesbian. Wait! Wait… she was flirting with me quite a bit when we first met… She thought I had different intentions, maybe? Okay, so maybe she does like women… she wouldn’t have done that if she didn’t like girls in that way. Maybe… Maybe it can work… Okay, so Rainbow does find me attractive… that’s a start, right?’

Fluttershy giggled, playing with her hand still, “Well, of course. And it certainly isn’t often that I can associate with such a unique and interesting woman like you…”

“I figure I’m not exactly in the usual interaction bracket for ex-models, huh?” Rainbow laughed, rimming a finger along the edge of her cider glass. “I mean I never figured I ever meet the real you, especially not in a professional capacity. Life’s strange that way.”

“It sure is strange that way….” Fluttershy agreed, gazing upon her admirably. “But I’m glad it is~”

“Me too~” Rainbow said, all the while imagining what fun they might have once they could. ‘I’m not touching her, just thinking about touching her. It’s not unprofessional until I act on it… and when I act on it I’m gonna make sure we are free and clear… then I’m going to act on these little thoughts… hard~’

‘What if she did that again? What if she… said more? Then went further? No, I wouldn’t stop her… Not at all… Do I want it? Or am I just lost in all of this and think I do? I’m confused… Yet, I’m not...’ Fluttershy thought, shifting ever slightly, ‘I hope this will be over soon, though. I’d love to get closer to her. To hold her, feel her… kiss her...’ Fluttershy felt her cheeks flare up all the more.

“We’ll have fun together, I just know it…” Fluttershy said softly, meeting her gaze.


“So much fun…” Rainbow replied with an equivalent tone. She met Fluttershy’s gaze, peering into the pools of her blue-green eyes. She could kiss her right now, right here. Dash could read the how welcomed the gesture would be all over Fluttershy’s face… but not yet… she couldn’t yet… Later. There would be plenty of time for that later.

‘What’s happening to me… I’ve never felt this way around anyone before. Not even my ex, it took ages for me to...feel that way. This is so new to me, I don’t know what to do! I shouldn’t, she has a professional code to live by. There should be a better chance after we solve the case,’ Fluttershy thought, a shiver running up her spine, ‘But I can’t help it, my body is not cooperating with my mind. This… attraction. I’ve never felt such an attraction to anyone, and so soon! If she sat next to me, I’d probably try to cuddle. But why? I haven’t cuddled in years! I didn’t even like cuddling with my ex. And yet, feeling her arms around me, holding me close… Oh, I want to! I want to hold her, have her hold me, kiss her...’

“I look very forward to it, Rainbow… And if anything, it’s even more of an incentive to solve the case, don’t you think?” Fluttershy said, trying to keep the conversation going, hoping to try to quell her inner desires. It didn’t quite help that she was now leaning a little closer over the table.

“Oh yeah,” Rainbow murmured, trying very hard to resist the many urges she was saddled with at the moment. It had been a very long time since she was so taken with anyone. Even before they had met Rainbow had constructed fantasy after fantasy starring the beautiful model, but meeting her in real life and understanding her only added to her appeal. Last night had been one disaster after another, but now Fluttershy had loosened up, and so had Rainbow.

Figuring she should probably contribute in some form to the conversation, least her constant staring become an issue, she managed a feeble, “Uh...How’s the soda?”

“...It’s fine,” Fluttershy said, a little deflected. ‘Oh, and it was going so well…’

Rainbow bit back more unprofessional thoughts and comments ranging from ‘I bet you taste sweeter’ to much more lewd quips. “...Good… I’m glad you’re enjoying it. It’s nice to see you enjoying things.”

“Of course,” Fluttershy said, nodding a little. “Are you enjoying your drink, too?”

“Mhmm, I always enjoy a stiff cider,” Rainbow said, polishing off the drink in question.

‘She really knows how to use her mouth… Oh, darn it, the feeling’s gone. ...Well, at least we can be professional, right? But if I feel it now, I’ll feel it again soon...

“That’s nice,” Fluttershy sipped her drink again. “Um, what is their policy on refills?”

“The soda’s all you can drink,” Rainbow answered, “Least I think it is, I haven’t order one in awhile.” Rainbow peered around the bar. “Hmmm… Pinkie’s normally quicker with the food than this… She better not be holding Rarity up with her silliness…”

“I hope everything’s okay,” Fluttershy said, following her gaze.

Sure enough, only once both women had shifted their attention from each other did Rarity emerge from the kitchen with their orders. She made her way over to the table, placing the meals in front of their respective patrons.

“More drinks, girls?” Rarity asked, trying very hard not to sound like a waitress as she said it. In her mind it was bad enough working as a waitress, the last thing she wanted was to start sounding like one too.

“Mhmm,” Rainbow grunted, giving Rarity a visual once over. Rarity wasn’t usually one to neglect patrons, she may hated being a waitress but she never let it take away from the performing of her duties. In fact, she was usually better than most…. Rainbow sensed Pinkie’s hand in all of this.

“Yes, please…. and thank you,” Fluttershy said, looking down at her food. She was pretty hungry by this point!

“Of course, dears,” Rarity shot a pointed look back at the kitchen, “I’ll have them out to you, shortly.” With that she headed back to the kitchen.

Rainbow shook her head. Whatever Pinkie was playing at, she could do as she pleased for all Rainbow cared. Rainbow picked up her sandwich and wasted no time digging in. “Mmmm~”

Mirroring her, Fluttershy wasted no time digging into her sandwich too. She sighed in pleasure, smiling around her bite, and then swallowing, “Mmm… So good…” She took another bite, this time downing the rest of her drink with it.

Rainbow chewed a large bit of her sandwich while watching Fluttershy devour her own. She found it strangely entertaining to watch the cautious measured girl eat her food with an element of ferocity.

“Hungry are we?” Rainbow joked.

Blushing a bit, Fluttershy smiled as she finished her latest bite, “I suppose I was hungrier than I thought. And it looked so good, and it is! It’s delicious...”

“It always is, Pinkie has never made anything I haven't wanted to devour whole.” Rainbow said with a laugh as she continued at her meal.

Fluttershy did as well, continuing on her sandwich. As she eyed her new friend and employee so to speak, she reached over and stole a fry. Giggling, she ate it with a coy smile.

“Ah! Hey!” Rainbow pouted playfully at Fluttershy, “Now that’s just plain wrong.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Fluttershy teased, looking innocent, “I didn’t do anything~”

“Nice try, missy, but you are talking to a trained investigator,” Rainbow said, narrowing her gaze, “...and I saw you do it!”

“No you didn’t,” Fluttershy smiled, grabbing another, and placing it between her lips, “Do you want this one back? Come and get it~”

Rainbow did hesitate, she lunged forward and chomped down on the protruding half of the fry. It was only after that she realized that she was now practically kissing Fluttershy! ‘Damn my possessiveness of delicious fried food...’ Half of her brain thought, while the other half was thinking, ‘Do it! Do it! Kiss her! Come on!’ Paralyzed by indecision, Rainbow could only stare into Fluttershy’s eyes.

Fluttershy too, was quite taken aback at how Rainbow had responded to the move. But now she too was paralyzed, uncertain. Would making the plunge be a good idea? Would she be crossing any lines? Would Rainbow want it? That last question was easy, she clearly seemed to be into the idea. Their eyes locked, her heart pounded, and her body was on fire.

Kiss me… Kiss me… No, I should do it… I can do it...’

Very slightly, she inched her lips a bit closer.

Rainbow, who could be cool as a cucumber with a gun pointed in her face, was very much panicking now. Her heart was thundering in her chest. She was less than an inch away from making real a fantasy… all she had to do was… move… just… a ...little… closer….

And then Rainbow jerked away. “I...uh… sorry…” She muttered looking down at her plate. She had wanted to kiss that woman with every fiber of her being, but she knew it wasn’t right. “After the case…” She said aloud this time, reaching for her cider glass only to remember that it was empty.

Managing to keep her composure and not to give in to the pressure her body was demanding, Fluttershy ate the rest of it and began to pick at her salad. She wasn’t about to get upset over this, despite that every fiber of her being was begging for it.

‘She’s just being professional… She’s doing the right thing… She’s not putting herself in a compromising position. I was the one who was trying to seduce her… she was right to refuse it. After the case… who knows how long that will be? Will I even be able to wait? Curse you, King Sombra… You’re not only keeping me unsafe and taking away my life… you’re taking away my chances for my LOVE life! I finally meet a woman I’ve never felt more attracted to and connected with… and she’s the one I’m hiring to help me! Oh, no body… don’t do this to me… I know you want her badly, but I can’t… I can’t make this harder for her. ...Okay, after this is over… she’s mine. All bets are off. I’ll pounce like a jungle cat if I have to!’

“I’m sorry…” She mumbled under breath, despite that she wasn’t the least bit sorry, at least not beyond practically forcing her to go against her own job code. The blush remained on her cheeks, making it harder to convey it.

Dash managed to look up at her giving a bit a smile, though it appeared more than a bit awkward. Rainbow felt her cheeks heat up, a light pink blush touching them.

‘Damn it… Damn you Firefly… Damn every single fucking person that says I can’t take this wet dream of a woman back to my place, strip her naked and screw her until the sun sets and comes up again!....Deep breaths… calm down… It’ll be okay, just catch the uncatchable bad guy… yeah…. why don’t I just grow wings and learn to fly while I’m at it… Ugh… I swear if this takes too long, I’m going to have her… Rules be damned…’

“It’s okay, ‘shy, promise.”

Fluttershy was unsure about what she was promising, but guessed that it might’ve been due to her apology. She managed a smile, then went back to her salad.

‘Well, maybe if it takes too long…. Like a few months, I don’t think that would be a bad thing if we just gave in...’ Fluttershy trembled slightly, but kept herself in check. ‘Damn… What am I going to do until then? My hand only gets me so far... Who knows what Sombra will do, and I don’t even know about privacy anymore… Am I going to have to check into hotels until this is over?’

Rainbow popped a few fries in her mouth, unable to separate their flavor from the idea of kissing Fluttershy now. She shook her head trying to get her wits about her, but all she managed to do was make herself a bit dizzy.

An awkward silence stretched between them. Rainbow searched around for something, anything, to say. “So… uh… the weather’s pretty cool today… Don’t you think?”

“Huh? Oh… um, yes, it is… I like rainy days,” Fluttershy responded, not quite looking at her.

“Me too, I think that they’re peaceful…” Rainbow was appalled with herself. She was talking about the weather with a girl she almost kissed… the weather!

Finishing her salad, Fluttershy gently pushed her plates aside, “Mm-hmm, peaceful. Very peaceful.”

“Yeah… and relaxing…” Rainbow sighed and rubbed at her temples, wishing desperately that she could have gone back and just kissed Fluttershy. That awkward fallout from that had to be better than talking about the weather. She finished her meal, pushing the plate towards the edge of the table.

“Well…” Fluttershy looked at a bar clock, “It’s barely one… we still have the rest of the day ahead of us.”

“Uh… yeah… Should we go back to your place,” Rainbow suggested, “I mean, if you still need me around for protection, that is.”

‘Well, we did get rid of all the cameras, so it should be safe, right? But then again… Sombra would have had to put the cameras in while I wasn’t home. I haven’t been at home for a while, now… He could have easily gone back and put in new cameras, or something else to keep track of me. There are all kinds of objects he could hide cameras in… Maybe I should have her come back with me just to be safe. Oh no, but what if I’m tempted? It’d be my home, my bed is big enough, I could easily-no! No… It’s because I want her company and to feel safe. So we can search for cameras.’

“Well…. Would you be okay coming back with me to my place? Um, I don’t know what Sombra could do next, but he might break in again and place more cameras…” Fluttershy said nervously, wringing her fingers. “But if you’re busy, I’ll understand. I just-I want to double check and I want an expert there with me. And…. well, you know I enjoy your company. I’d love to have you over again…”

“Sounds fine by me,” Rainbow replied sounding pleasant enough, though inwardly she was conflicted.

‘...Damn… I want to spend time with her be with her… but I’m placing myself in a situation I know is going to tempt me… and if I compromise my ethics I’m just going to end up hurting her… But she has a point, we don’t know what this bastard is capable of… and I would like to spend some more time with her, even if I have to spend half my attention keeping myself in check…’

“ ‘sides, you are paying me a boatload of cash and I don’t have any other cases.”

Giving a smile, Fluttershy finished her drink, “And you’re worth every bit~”

“That’s right I am,” Rainbow grinned, “I am the best there is at what I do.”

“Hee, I don’t doubt it,” Fluttershy giggled, “Well, if we’re done, we can get the bill and be on our way,” she reached into her purse for her wallet.

“Never got that refill…” Rainbow said peering towards the bar, noticing that Pinkie Pie was still conspicuously absent from her post. “Ah, it’s fine though, I don’t really need it anyhow.”

“Oh, I’m sorry… Well, um, I have some drinks at home, or we can buy some on the way,” Fluttershy offered.

“I’ll be okay, honest,” Rainbow said with a reassuring smile. “Besides if I’m back on the clock, it probably won’t help things if I’m sloshed.”

“Good point,” Fluttershy said, waving Rarity over for the bill.

“Sorry for the substandard service,” Rarity said as she came by their table, hoping to not be the victim of a substandard tip. She placed the bill seripticiously on the table. “It was a… dispute with the management…”

Taking some money out, along with some for a tip, Fluttershy placed it all onto the table, “Oh…. Is everything all right?”

“Pinkie was just… micromanaging,” Rarity said, giving Fluttershy a smile as she mentally totalled the bills Fluttershy had placed on the table. “Well you women are good to go, and thank you again Fluttershy, for the modeling.”

“Anytime, um… here’s my card,” Fluttershy handed it to her, “I know it’s for pet caretaking, but it has my number all the same. But if you do have pets you need to be looked after for whatever reason, you can always ask, too.”

“Thank you very much,” Rarity said as she tucked the card into her apron with as much care as if it had been made of solid gold. “I hope to see you both again~”

Rainbow gave a small yawn as Rarity departed their table. “Whew… well back to your place, yes?”

“Yes,” Fluttershy stood up, placing the wig back onto her head, “Let’s go, shall we?”

Rainbow gave her a nod and a smile and the pair departed the bar, bound once more for Fluttershy’s apartment.

XXXX

A train ride then a few blocks later, the pair finally arrived back at Fluttershy’s apartment. So far, it seemed that everything was still in its place. If anything happened, it didn’t seem to show. Nonetheless, Fluttershy did feel a bit nervous, wondering if Sombra was somehow watching her.

“R-Rainbow… could you check around… just to make sure?” Fluttershy murmured.

“Sure thing,” Rainbow nodded, not willing to put anything past the realm of possibility.

Rainbow gave the apartment a thorough once over, checking every place they had found a camera or bug and every place they hadn’t, but the search came up empty.

“You can breathe easy,” Rainbow said as she emerged from the bedroom. “We’re clean.”

“Okay,” Fluttershy sat down on the couch, making herself comfortable, “It makes me wonder what else he’s been up to… But that works, for now.”

“With any luck he’s busy getting his ass caught,” Rainbow said as she sat at Fluttershy’s side, though she didn’t truly believe that it would be quite that easy.

Giving a little smile, Fluttershy rubbed her arm, “That would be sweet justice.”

‘Not to mention the sign of the case being closed and finally being able to have a normal friendship with Rainbow… and hopefully more. We were so close! So close… At least she does seem to feel the same way, all things considered… But if only there weren’t so much blocking us. No, no, I have to wait. But solving the case is not a waiting period, it’s bringing a stalker to justice and getting my life back on track. Just stay calm, spend time together-oh goodness, she looks adorable with that thoughtful pout! Those lips… I’ve never seen such pretty lips I’ve been dying to kiss…!’

Rainbow’s lips twitched into a little smile, enjoying the sensation of Fluttershy rubbing at her arm. The simply friendly contact was enough to set her mind aflame with passionate daydreams. “So, uh, what now? Do we just sort of lounge and watch TV?”

“I suppose we could, yes…” Fluttershy nodded. ‘At least that will have me less tempted...’

“Alrighty,” Rainbow said, trying to not quite look at Fluttershy already feeling sorely tempted. She picked up the remote and began to flip through the channels. “Any preferences?”

“Um… I love watching Animal Planet, the Discovery Channel, the movie channels… And sometimes if a show I like is playing, I tune to the channel it’s on,” Fluttershy shrugged.

“Animal Planet it is,” Rainbow said flipping to a show about newborn puppies. “Well something tells me this is right up your alley~”

Giggling, Fluttershy nodded, “It is! I love puppies!”

‘Good! Puppies! That won’t tempt me in the slightest. This is good… now we’re two friends just watching TV together. Watching a show about puppies. Adorable little puppies!’

Rainbow smiled at the musical tones of Fluttershy’s laugh, glancing at her out of the corners of her eyes. She was just so undeniably adorable Rainbow couldn’t help but breathe out a happy sigh. ‘God I’d love to just snuggle up to her… Wait… what the hell!? I don’t snuggle! Since when do I ever want to snuggle anything! Damn you Flutters… you’re not just a bombshell, you’re freakin’ adorable!’

“So cute…” Fluttershy murmured, cooing at the sight of the puppies. “I just want to take one of them home and snuggle them! I love this show, but it’s taunting me… Adorable puppies I can’t even touch!”

“I know the feeling,” Rainbow muttered. “But...uh… yeah, the puppies are really cute.”

‘What would make it complete is snuggling...’ Fluttershy thought, looking outside to the rain for a moment. ‘A rainy day… It’s warm…. I need security, we’re watching puppies, it’s perfect! I’ll just… move a bit closer...’ She shifted closer to her companion.

Rainbow licked her lips nervously. She kept her vision locked on the screen… trying to put out of her mind it would be to just grab Fluttershy… grab her and snuggle her… kiss her… do anything she wanted with the woman of her dreams.

Taking a few breaths, Fluttershy moved a bit closer to her, with their legs now touching. Hesitating, she reached over, taking Rainbow’s hand in hers.

‘This is not helping… the puppies are so cute, I want to snuggle them… but they’re making me think of snuggling Rainbow, too! Oh, stupid stupid…. What am I going to do?! I’m too tempted, no matter what I do! I’ll have to take a cold shower...’ Fluttershy thought, licking her lips nervously.

Rainbow froze. Their fingers were intertwining. It felt so natural… so easy… ‘Damn it damn it damn it damn it damn it damn it! ...How can I say no to this… She wants me too! I can tell… I know… what am I going to do!’

‘If she weren’t the one helping my case… I could go for it… She wants me, too… I can feel it… I have all the courage and motivation I need… I know she wouldn’t push me away. Oh, why, Celestia… Why did you have to dangle this irresistible woman in front of my face? I can’t function! I can’t think! I want to be with her so much, but I can’t!’ Fluttershy trembled in her seat.

Rainbow twitched, feeling Fluttershy tremble. This was too much. She had to pull away… needed to...or maybe… maybe not… they were just holding hands and sitting next to each other…As long as it didn’t go any further…

‘Okay, we’re fine… We’re just sitting here, holding hands… We’ll be fine...’ Fluttershy thought, taking a deep breath. ‘Earlier, we were still in public. But now… now we’re in my apartment, with all the privacy-hopefully-we can ask for. My bedroom is nearby… I could easily seduce her and take her into my room! Too… tempting!’

Rainbow shifted in her seat. This was getting out of hand or, more accurately, Rainbow’s handle on the temptation next to her was getting out of hand. “So...uh… ever thought about getting some- one! A puppy that is…”

“You know… I think that would be a good idea,” Fluttershy remarked, “I suppose I just worry, now. What if I do get a pet and Sombra kills them…? I-I don’t know about that… But I see what you mean.”

“Well… that’s why we have to try and catch him,” Rainbow said, feeling genuine empathy for her. “Then you can actually live your life.”

‘You have no idea… I can’t have pets without worrying, unless I’m looking after them, I can’t leave the house, and now I’ve found he has the ability to watch me somehow… And I especially can’t even make a move on a woman I’ve never been so taken with in my life. He needs to be caught…. And I will personally kick him in the knee for what he’s done to me!’

“Yes,” Fluttershy murmured, now snuggling against her. It was more out of comfort than anything, but even she couldn’t deny the temptation of truly getting closer to her. “You’re the only one I can count on in this world… I’d be lost without you…”

Rainbow couldn’t resist putting an arm around her, if for nothing else than to comfort her. “Hey, don’t you worry, I’m not going anywhere until we finish this thing.”

‘Oh goodness… I love it! Being so close to her like this is… I’ve never felt this way about anyone, about being this close to anyone. I feel… warm, safe, and so...good. Even hugging my parents hasn’t had this kind of feeling. Rainbow Dash… She’s amazing… I know it’s wrong, but it feels right… So right. It never felt this good with my ex. I think I really like her… more than I think I should...’

“Thank you, Rainbow,” Fluttershy snuggled close, laying her head on her shoulder. “If nothing else, you make me feel so much better about this…”

“I do what I can,” Rainbow said modestly, enjoying the contact as much as she hoped Fluttershy was… even if the stated purpose was only to comfort her.

Fluttershy felt herself smile, having felt better than she had in years. She turned her head a bit, meeting her gaze, “I’m glad I came to you, I’m glad I found you… And you know, I did mean it yesterday… If there’s anything else I can do for you, especially after the case… You can tell me, and I will. I’ll do anything to get my life back…”

‘And to finally be more than just friends with you...’

Rainbow lips quirked up in the corners, unable to resist the urge to flirt a little, “...I’m sure I’ll think of a few things~”

Giggling, Fluttershy caught on and was unable to resist flirting back, “I hope so… You just let me know~”

“When this is done,” Rainbow said, speaking aloud the affirmation that was all that stood between her and a serious breach of ethics.

“When this is done,” Fluttershy repeated, laying her head where it had been. ‘Which I hope will be soon… But I have to control myself… no matter how much I want her...’

They continued watching the show together, and then another, and then another. It wasn’t exactly romantic, but at the same time it was clear that they were not just friends. They couldn’t be. Between the underlying mutual attraction and the pure admiration they held for one another, it seemed as though they would be hopeless bound for something deeper.

As the sun began to dip lower, Rainbow stretched and yawned a bit. “Mmm… S’pose we should throw together some dinner soon, yeah?”

“Hm? Oh, yes… I’ll get dinner going,” Fluttershy nodded, getting up, “Um, is there anything in particular you’d like?”

“I don’t know. Anything, honestly.” Rainbow said. “In my line of work, you don’t always know when or where the next paycheck is coming from, so I’m okay to eat just about anything that can be considered food.”

“Would you… like a beef and vegetable stir-fry?” Fluttershy suggested, anyway.

“Sounds delicious,” Rainbow beamed, “I’ll never ever turn down red meat, you can be sure of that.”

The pinkette smiled, before she then headed to the kitchen to get started on cooking.

‘At least this will keep my mind and my hands busy for a while… Oh, what’s happening to me… I can’t let this go on! But I can’t leave myself alone when I’m not sure I’m safe. But I also can’t inconvenience Rainbow or make her go against her code… I can’t! I just can’t… But how can I be around her when I’m too tempted?’ Fluttershy thought, getting out the ingredients she would need.

Rainbow came up behind Fluttershy, resisting the urge to hug her around the waist. “Anything I can do to help? You did all the cooking this morning after all.”

‘Hug me from behind… like they do in the movies and those romance stories...’ Fluttershy thought dreamily. “Um… You can get the uh...frying pan and put some olive oil on it…”

“Can do,” Rainbow said as she did just that. “There you go. All ready.”

“Thank you… Um, you could also chop those carrots, green peppers… I’ll do the rest,” Fluttershy directed. ‘Anything to keep us occupied… So we don’t get tempted...’

“No problem,” Rainbow said, taking to the task. It was simple enough but it did managed to keep her occupied, though her mind wandered a bit, wondering what on earth they would do to pass the time after dinner… And where would she sleep? Naturally she could take the couch again... Should take the couch again…. Should… Though Fluttershy’s bed seemed so inviting.

The knife slipped and Rainbow nearly cut herself, ‘Focus up Dash, focus up… There will always be time for figuring that out later…’

Rainbow finished up slicing the veggies and handed them over to Fluttershy, “Here ya go.”

Taking them, Fluttershy placed them into the pan along with the sliced beef. She then proceeded to get to work on chopping the rest of the vegetables, placing them into the pan as well. Along with some seasoning, herbs and spices, she fried all the ingredients to a perfect level. Taking the pan, she spooned the food onto two plates, putting them down onto the table, and then retrieving some water and juice to drink.

“Here we go, let’s eat,” Fluttershy said.

Rainbow didn’t need telling twice. She sat down at the table and, in a rare attempt at showing manners, waited for Fluttershy to begin eating before digging in herself. “Wow… this is… Wow, way to go Fluttershy.”

“You like it?” Fluttershy gave a smile as she finished one bit.

“Love it,” Rainbow replied as she continued to consume the meal.

Blushing a bit, flattered that her cooking once again proved positive to the detective, Fluttershy resumed eating as well.

It wasn’t long before Rainbow finished her mean and patted her stomach in a satisfied way. “Damn… you sure know how to cook.” Rainbow chuckled a bit. “A model who can cook, I bet there’s a joke about that somewhere.”

“There… there might be, I couldn’t say for sure,” Fluttershy smiled, gathering their dishes, “But it’s nice to cook for someone.”

“Well, hey, I know it’s a cliche, but you can cook for me anytime,” Rainbow said with a grin.

Giggling, the pinkette looked back toward her, “I’ll take you up on that~”

“You make it sound like I’m offering a favor,” Rainbow said as she contemplated literally licking her plate. “It’s more like the other way around. I’m not much of a cook and my pantry is no where near as well stocked as yours.”

“Well, then I can help you anytime, too.” Fluttershy offered, putting their dishes in the dishwasher.

Rainbow joined her, adding her own plate and utensils to the dishwasher. “Thanks, Flutters.”

“...You’re welcome, Dashie…” Fluttershy met her gaze with a soft, warm smile. “Anytime.”

Rainbow grinned and headed back to the couch, stretching a letting out a little yawn. “Seems like things have been pretty quiet, no scary phone calls, no more hidden cameras. Nice easy day of bodyguarding.”

Fluttershy joined her, giving a little laugh, “You’re right… It’s been a good day, so far. A very good day.”

“Ugh…” Rainbow yawned again, “Damn. Last night’s stake out is taking more out of me than I thought it would…”

“Oh, are you tired? You can stay the night again, if you want…” Fluttershy proposed, feeling an inner confliction going on. She was thrilled, as well as feeling safe to know that Rainbow would be there. At the same time, she knew this would mean more temptation and also the fact that she would be on the couch. So much of herself wanted to invite Rainbow to bed, but knew that it was a bad idea.

“Yeah I was planning on it.” Rainbow said, stifling another yawn, “I wouldn’t feel right about leaving you alone, not for a full night. Not after all this guy has done. Nope, I am officially crashing here until further notice.”

Some part of Rainbow knew that this would almost insure that she would have to continuously resist temptation, but she knew now she wouldn’t feel right not being able to protect her. Sombra was already rumored to be responsible for so much loss and devastation, and Rainbow had no reason to believe that Fluttershy’s stalker wasn’t the actual Sombra.

“So yeah, I got dibs on the couch again, unless you’re hiding a spare bedroom somewhere in this place,” Rainbow joked, knowing no such room existed.

“I wish…. But it gives me an incentive to do that when I get a new place,” Fluttershy smiled.

“You’re thinking about a new place?” Rainbow asked conversationally. “I kind of like this one. Good location, nice layout. Hard to find a place the nice in the city even if it’s a little small.”

“Well, yes and no. It’s more that I’m being prepared and keeping my options open,” Fluttershy said, “This was the first place I’d ever bought, I used to just rent.”

“I like it,” Rainbow pronounced, “Loads better than my place. My bedroom is pretty much just big enough for my bed.”

Fluttershy smiled toward her sadly, reaching over to hold her hand, “I’m sorry…”

Rainbow grinned, taking Fluttershy’s hand, “Don’t worry about it. I like my place, even if it is tiny. It’s cozy, in it’s own way.”

“That’s good, then,” said the pinkette, squeezing her hand, “If you do… need a place to crash at any time… my door is always open, anyway.”

“Thanks ‘shy,” Rainbow chuckled a bit, “It feels weird, you know? You inviting me to stay here whenever after I’m already playing on spending a ton of time here. I know it’s as a professional but still, it’s kind of silly.”

“Maybe…” Fluttershy giggled, meeting her gaze, “But I do mean it… as both a friend and under the professional element.”

“I’m not going to leave your side as long as you’re paying me,” Rainbow said, quite serious for the moment, “After what happened at the bar the other night and your apartment, I’m not going to run the risk of you being hurt… after all of this, well… I plan on being very close to you if you’ll allow it.”

‘Of course I would… You know how to help and protect a client, you’ve proven that to me. I’d let you get as close to me as you wanted, Rainbow...’

“Thank you, I’ll definitely take you up on that,” Fluttershy said seriously, as well, but she was smiling. “It really helps so much. So I allow it, for sure.”

“I’ll enjoy that,” Dash smiled warmly. “Well I suppose I should gather up some blankets and clock out, so to speak.”

“You wait here, I’ll get you what you need.”

Fluttershy stood up, going to a nearby closet and pulling out a sheet, a blanket, and a pillow. She brought them over to the couch, laying them out for her.

“There you go, that should do it.”

“Thanks ‘shy,” Rainbow said smiling warmly. She would worry for most that her insistence on her presence as intruding upon the life of her employer, but for Fluttershy she held no such fear, or felt that she should. Fluttershy had no real life to speak of, it had been stripped from her… perhaps even before she became a victim of Sombra… Rainbow knew her own presence offered normalcy and friendship. Though she did have one inconvenience to apologize for.

“Sorry you can’t use your TV while I’m crashing out here,” Rainbow said a bit playfully.

Giving a laugh, Fluttershy shook her head, “Oh, if that’s the worst I have to worry about with a guest, I think I’m going to do just fine. If that’s torture, chain me to the be-wall!”

“Be-wall?” Rainbow said, playfully arching a brow and finding her client’s slip of the tongue to be quite ...interesting. “I don’t think you have one of those~”

“N-No… I don’t….” Fluttershy squeaked, blushing as she realized that Dash had caught on to her slip.

“Hey well, maybe one day I’ll chain you to that be-....wall~” Rainbow said drawing out the slip playfully.

Shivers ran up her spine at the idea, as Fluttershy slowly approached her. “Okay, Rainbow… I’m sure you’d be very good at that…”

Rainbow said nothing now, only licked her lips nervously, ‘Great going Dash… her she is, coming closer, all because you could resist a good chance to flirt…and now all you want to do is make good on that little promise~’

“Um, but if you get cold and need some more room to sleep… You can sleep in my bed…” Fluttershy said softly. Despite her hesitant but sweet tone, she looked to the detective with clear bedroom eyes.

“I...uh…” Rainbow bit back her will, her desire, and her burning passion to fulfill her fantasies, and managed a feeble, “I’ll think about it…”

‘You idiot! What are you doing?! Stop giving in to your hormones! You’re a grown woman, not a teenager! Is this what happens when you hold back for so long? Oh, no… I’m not making this easy for her.. or me… I’m practically begging her and it’s not fair.’

“All right, then… I’ll go to bed. You can watch TV, if you’d like. I’m just going to shower and head to sleep,” Fluttershy said, turning toward the hallway. “Goodnight, Rainbow… and thank you. For everything.”

“Night,” Rainbow said flopping back on the couch with another yawn, “Could you get the lights?”

Fluttershy nodded, turning out the lights in the main room.

“Again, thanks for everything,” Dash said as she stretched out on the couch, slipping under the blankets. ‘Might not be another stakeout but if anyone comes through that door, I’ll know,’ Rainbow thought, ‘Guess for once being a light sleeper is gonna come in handy.’

And with that the private eye drifted into a wary slumber.