• Published 17th Sep 2013
  • 3,849 Views, 77 Comments

City of Shadows - GuyGalProductions



Reclusive ex-model Fluttershy has been made the victim of an unimaginably sadistic stalker, and only one woman can save her: Rainbow Dash, Private Eye

  • ...
6
 77
 3,849

Chapter Two: The Stakeout

Chapter Two: The Stakeout

Along the darkened, lampost-lit streets of Manehattan, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy found themselves heading toward a more prestigious neighborhood. After making a stop off at Rainbow's office where she made sure to grab Firefly's old case files, the detective and her client now were heading directly for the latter's apartment. While still a ways off, the walk was pleasant, even somewhat quiet, but nothing awkward. Both women had made occasional small talk, though they usually settled on just merely walking side by side.

The night air was crisp and cool, though not enough to feel too cold or nippy. All around, shops and other such establishments were either darkened or lit up, clustered together in one fell swoop along the blocks.

However, the darkened alleyways between buildings grew larger, more shadowed, and nerve-wracking to Fluttershy. It was unsettling enough passing when they had passed a few homeless folks who had made catcalls at her, but the sinister darkness of the alleyways seemed to her to contain an unknown and frightening danger.

Swallowing, Fluttershy tried to keep her gaze ahead of them. “I-It shouldn’t be much further...just a few more blocks...and turns...” She said, more to herself than Rainbow Dash.


“Mhmm...” Dash agreed absently as they ambled along. Her cerise eyes darted around them constantly, her entire body tense and ready to spring into action should the need arise. Her hands were kept deep in the pockets of her coat, her right hand resting against her old revolver. She doubted the necessity of any of this, chances are Sombra wouldn’t risk another direct encounter, but it never hurt to be prepared.

Right then, Fluttershy stopped in her tracks. “D-Did you hear that?”

Rainbow’s neck whipped around, scanning every inch of the street, sidewalk, and the adjacent alleys. Nothing. Nothing but the dark.

“Probably just a rat.” Dash replied through gritted teeth. “Though if its all the same to you, let's pick up the pace.”

“Right!” Fluttershy agreed, looking around them nervously, beginning to pick up her pace.

It was right then that five shadowed figures slipped from an alleyway, making a fast grab for them. One of them, a tall and burly man, grabbed hold of Fluttershy quicker than she could blink, locking her into a full nelson.

“Hahaha, got her, boys!” The man laughed hysterically. “Go for the small one! She must be easy!”

Squealing with fright, Flutteshy struggled against the man’s hold, trying to escape. “L-Let me go! Please, let me go!”

One of the thugs made a fast grab for the private eye, but Dash was faster. Before the man could even reach her she had drawn her pistol and held its tip right between the thugs eyes. The hoodlum pulled up short staring cross-eyed down the barrel of the gun.

Rainbow grinned at the man’s stunned expression. “Easy, my ass.”

With a loud crack, Rainbow whipped the heavy firearm across the temple of the assailant causing the much larger man to go down like a ton of bricks.

“Let the girl go,” Dash growled as she pulled back the hammer of the revolver with her thumb, “or you’ll be headed to the hospital with holes in you instead of just bruises.”

“Oh yeah? With your aim, you’ll end up shootin’ this chick instead!” The man snickered.

Fluttershy froze in terror, wide-eyed, trembling a bit. The man holding her captive didn’t let loose, or even seem to care. She felt a tightening of fear in her stomach, her mind reeling with the worst case scenario. Most especially when she could see the other three thugs approaching Dash from behind, one of them wielding a tire iron.

“R-Rainbow! Look out behind you!” Fluttershy yelled, only for her mouth to be covered up by the man’s hand.

Dash’s eyes darted behind her. Without turning away from Fluttershy’s captor Rainbow fired a quick shot at the feet of one of her assailants. A cry of pain informed Dash that she had hit her mark. The other two thugs paused momentarily, unsure on whether their prey was worth the mounting risks.

“Cop’s be here any minute.” Dash’s voice was even, devoid of fear, though not absent of a slight throaty growl. She knew that you never showed fear to the other predators in the jungle, even in the concrete jungle of Manehatten.

“Nice neighborhood like this, I figure a gunshot get called in pretty quick.” She continued, baring her teeth slightly as she spoke. “Sure you want to be here when Johnny-law comes calling?”

Growling, the man shoved Fluttershy to the ground, looking angry now. “Fuck you, bitch.... C’mon, boys. Let’s get outta here before the cops show up.”

Without a response, the other thugs took off down the street, while the larger man dragged his comrades along.

Rainbow quickly appeared at Fluttershy’s side reaching out for the pinkette’s hand. Upon feeling her wrap her fingers around her own hand, Rainbow pulled Fluttershy to her feet. Inspecting the girl for any obvious signs of injury. Satisfied that may have only been a scrape here or bruise there from the fall, she rested a hand on Fluttershy’s shoulder.

“We should probably get out of here too. I don’t actually have a permit for the gun...” Rainbow told her client in a tense whisper.

Eyes wide, Fluttershy felt uncertain how to feel of that, but didn’t argue. All she wanted was to get out of here and away from any further danger. She felt shaken up, her body trembled, as her nerves were on fire. Everything around her felt terrifying, unsafe, and shadowed. She nodded, slowly, managing a small whimper.

“O-Okay...”

Her grip on Rainbow Dash’s hand didn’t release. If anything, she held her hand tighter.

“How many blocks to your place?” Dash did her best to make her voice calming.

“Um...five...plus a couple of turns...” Fluttershy responded, her voice shaky.

“Hey, its okay. Everything is okay.” Dash squeezed the taller girls hand. She looked her directly in the eyes, searching those teal pools for that spark of courage she had seen earlier. “You can do this, Fluttershy. I know you can, but I need you to lead the way. You can do that for me, okay?”

As if stunned, all Fluttershy could do was stare back into those confident, encouraging eyes. Her heart pounded, her hand felt warmer, and she just overall felt...better. Like there was nothing to be afraid of. It was all a strange feeling of security, despite what had happened just moments again. The very feeling of what could’ve happened if she were all alone, without Dash there to help...

Safe.

Taking a breath, Fluttershy gave a slow nod. “Y-Yes...I can... I can do it...I’ll-I’ll lead the way there...I can...I can...”

“Atta girl,” Rainbow praised. “Let’s get going.”

As best she could, Fluttershy led the way toward her apartment. Despite that, Rainbow continued walking alongside her, keeping at a steady pace so as not to fall behind or pull ahead. Neither spoke another word the rest of the way, nor did they encounter anyone else aside from the occasional passerby on the street. The entire time, Fluttershy’s heart pounded with fear, her gut wrenched, and she felt a strange sense of unease. What had just happened was terrifying, and if not for Rainbow’s strength and bravery, she’d have been done for.

Nonetheless, she felt safe. Most especially because Rainbow Dash held her hand the entire walk to her apartment.

XXXX

Eventually, they arrived at a modest though somewhat high-rising apartment building. On the fourteenth floor, they found their way to room 1408, Fluttershy’s apartment.

Despite that she was home now, Fluttershy couldn’t help but feel that string of unease tugging at her heart. Nonetheless, she unlocked the door and led the way inside, Dash following her.

The apartment was fairly big, all one room in an open concept, alongside a bathroom and two bedrooms. One wall had floor-to-ceiling windows, offering a very nice view of a portion of the city’s skyline at night. A homey country kitchen sat at one end of the room, while the other consisted of a basic living room with two couches, an easy chair, and an entertainment unit.

“Well, um...this is my apartment...” Fluttershy said, going to draw the curtains over the windows-quickly. “Feel free to take a look around...”

Looking out the windows as she closed them, she kept her eye for anything suspicious. Nothing. Just some people walking along the streets below, wagons and carts moving along... Everything seemed fine. Despite it, Fluttershy never felt at ease looking out a window, especially at night. She trembled, eyes darting everywhere she could look, trying hard to see past the shadowed areas.

Feeling a tightening in her stomach, Fluttershy dared a look at the complex across the street. In the lit up windows, she could see various forms of activity from the tenants, or nothing happening with them. One window across from hers had a young man looking out, gaze shifting all around the area. He caught sight of her, smiled, and waved. It wasn’t leering nor creepy, just friendly. Fluttershy managed a polite wave in return, before she then closed those curtains as well.

On the coffee table were some envelopes, that day’s mail. Fluttershy sat down, taking them to look over. It was the usual thing; bills, coupons, medical papers, and...one envelope with no return address. Everything on it was typed, as well as the stamp being printed.

Terrified, Fluttershy flung the envelope to the floor as if it burned her.

“No! No! No!”

Rainbow quickly snatched up the fallen letter, turning it over in her hands. The paper of the envelope was pristine, not so much as yellowed edge or errant stain. Rainbow got the distinct impression that this Sombra hadn’t even breathed directly on the paper.

“Him?” The investigator asked, though she already knew the answer.

Fluttershy nodded, looking to her with scared eyes. “It is...it has to be... He...He knows where I live now... Sometimes I relocate all around the city...to try to avoid him... I’ve moved four times in the past six months...”

Rainbow grunted by way of reply. She considered whether or not to open the letter. She briefly wondered if there could be any poisons hidden within, but that seemed too complex for Sombra. If that had been part of his M.O. the police might be left with something to trace. No, odds were that the missive was clean.

Dash was still vaguely unsure as to whether or not to open it. On the one hand it couldn’t hurt to get a glimpse into her target’s mind. However, on the other hand the very presence of the letter was causing Fluttershy distress. She felt herself groan. She had to open it. She needed all the information she could get.

“Sorry Fluttershy,” She whispered to herself as she hooked her thumb under the seal and tore open the letter. She swore to herself as peered inside the envelope. Neatly folded within was a letter along with a several polaroid photos.

The photos consisted of various shots of Fluttershy. A few were of her walking on the street, another in a shop, another having lunch at a cafe, swimming, walking around Central Park... Basic photos to convey the fact that she was being stalked and watched on her day-to-day life. One photo, however, was the most incriminating. It wasn’t even a polaroid shot like the rest seemed to be. It was taken with a different camera altogether, and developed as such. A few others similar to it were just like it, but it was this particular one that came to be shocking, as it was the start.

It was of Fluttershy, laying in her bed, with the bed sheet covering her body up to her shoulders. The angle was a fairly slanted birds-eye-view, but a clear shot of her nonetheless. But what was really making the shot was how much of a shock it was to have such a photo. Getting a shot of her in the outside world was one thing, albeit terrifying and unsettling.

This was just at a whole new level. Especially considering the fact that Fluttershy clearly wasn’t asleep in the photo.

In one hand, she was holding a scrap of paper, which the camera didn’t pick up, so it was hard to see what was on it. Fluttershy was looking to it quite intently though half-lidded eyes, while her other hand was buried under the sheet. Giving her arm’s outline, the blush on her face, and the paper in her hand... She was clearly masturbating.

Not only caught in her own home, but caught doing something private. Very private.

Rainbow felt her mouth go dry. The final photograph cemented this Sombra’s status as a major league threat. She decided to slip the photos into a the interior pocket of her coat that held the case files from her office. Fluttershy did not need to see them, not now, and especially the last photo. Still, that left a pressing piece of business.

“Fluttershy...” Rainbow began slowly, trying not to alarm her. Unfortunately, it was inevitable. “Do you have a air vent in your bedroom?”

Fluttershy, having not been looking in her direction for the past few moments, looked at her with mild confusion. “Yes...I do. There is a small air vent on the wall across from my bed. Why do you ask?”

“And which room is your bedroom?” Dash asked, closing her eyes as she avoided the question.

The pinkette pointed to a door down a corridor at the end of the room. “It’s the second door on the left.”

“Wait here.” Rainbow stated in a flat, commanding tone. She hated having to keep Fluttershy in the dark as she went about her business, but she saw it as the only alternative to traumatizing her client.

She followed Fluttershy’s instructions and found herself in the ex-model’s boudoir. It looked much the same as it had in the photograph, only minus the room’s inhabitant. It was cozy, or would have been had Rainbow not known of its status of being under surveillance.

Back pressed against the wall opposite the bed, she positioned herself under the vent. Hoping that her position would be sufficient to hide her identity from Sombra’s mechanical eye. Jimmying open the vent with a penknife, Dash reached inside. Her fingertips searched the cool metal surface for her intended target. Soon they alighted upon a small object. ‘Bingo’

She removed a small tube, no larger than a roll of quarters, with a glass lens one end. Sliding this too into her coat, she set off back towards the living room.

All the while, Fluttershy was now checking the locks on her apartment door, which didn’t have just the door lock. There was also a chain, and also a sliding lock. Whether or not it was part of the complex’s door lock system or Fluttershy added them herself was a mystery. She checked the peephole for a moment or two, then drew back.

She noticed Dash coming back, and turned around. “Oh, um...did you...find what you were looking for?”

“Mhmm.” Rainbow replied. She wasn’t exactly sure how to say: ‘Good news: found a lead. Bad news: your every private moment has been under surveillance.’ So in the end she stuck to the simple disyllabic sound of affirmation.

“Okay...” Fluttershy said, now going back to the couch. “What did...the...letter say, this time?”

Rainbow once again took the envelope in hand, removing the neatly folded paper from its confines. Unfolding it carefully, Rainbow’s eyes scanned over another disturbing sight. However, this time it took the form of written prose:

How I love you my darling butterfly;
But if you continue to pull away,
And prolong my hunt as across the city you fly,
I will twist those wings until they crack and fray.
I see it all, my love, even what you hide.
My clever slattern, you’re never alone,
And too soon I’ll have you by my side.

Rainbow slid her tongue across the back of her teeth as she read the note, a gesture she’d come to recognize as signalling anytime in which she found herself feeling vaguely unsettled.

“Sure you want to know?” She queried in response to Fluttershy’s earlier curiosity.

“...Yes...” Fluttershy’s voice was nervous, but soft. She sat back on the couch, folding her hands in her lap. “I-I think... I should know...”

Rainbow handed the missive to Fluttershy and stood close by her as she read it, not wanting her to feel alienated as she subjected herself to Sombra’s disturbingly poetic ramblings.

Reading it over, Fluttershy felt her gut seize. It was nothing new, Sombra often wrote poems to her. Especially in a format such as this. Nonetheless, the feeling of obsession and devotion, for all the wrong reasons, were seeping through, just as his communications to her always did. Disgusted, Fluttershy tossed it aside as if it were on fire, trembling a bit.

“He...He always...writes letters and poems like this.... With this...kind of obsessive tone... As if he’s a lover from afar...but far too creepy...” Fluttershy whimpered, hugging herself. “I, I just-”

Riiiiiiiing! Came the shrill ringing of her telephone.

As if on instinct, Fluttershy crossed the room where her landline phone hung on the wall. The caller I.D. screen didn’t display a name or a number. Her answering machine was broken until she could replace it, which only further added to why she felt the need to answer. Trembling, Fluttershy reached for the receiver, wincing as the phone rang again. She lowered her hand slightly, staring at it as if it would attack her.

Taking a breath, Fluttershy managed to gently grab hold of the receiver, and held it to her ear.

“...Hello?” She spoke in a quiet voice, trying to hide the fear in her tone.

No response. There was silence.

“...Hello?”

Still no response. There wasn’t even the sound of breathing, background noise, or even the ambiance of an open room.

“Hello? Um, excuse me, if you’re not going to respond, I will hang up. I’m sorry... Hello? Can you not hear me? Is that the problem? Hello? Is anyone there? ...Hello?” She felt her tone getting more worried.

Dash motioned for Fluttershy to hand over the receiver, but also pressed a finger to her lips to indicate the act should be done in silence. Taking phone from the increasingly panicked woman as she handed it to her, Rainbow listened as well to the silence on the other end of the line. Thinking over the possibilities, Rainbow decided that perhaps her best move would be to hang up the phone. If it was Sombra she certainly didn’t want to alert him to her own presence. That is of course assuming he didn’t already know. Either way the investigator didn’t want to take any chances and moved her finger towards the end call button.

“I wouldn’t do that, if I were you.” A voice suddenly spoke from the other line, followed by dark chuckling. The voice was digitized and squeaky, indicating that the caller was clearly using a voice changer. “You seem angry, dear Rainbow Dash...did any of this strike a nerve?”

Rainbow ground her teeth in frustration. You do not show fear to the other predators.

“Congratulations.” Rainbow replied her voice feigning boredom. “You know my name. Want a cookie for it?”

“You are indeed as insolent as they say...” The voice said, chuckling once more. “You certainly have made a bold attempt in taking on this case... If the police and EBI cannot catch me...would you really think that a gumshoe such as yourself will be able to catch me? It’s quite amusing. You stand there now, with the vow to protect your client... But can you, really?”

“Sure can.” Rainbow drawled lazily. “But I like that word you used before: amusing. That’s the perfect word for a smoke and mirrors kind of guy like you. I know me and Fluttershy are just laughing it up at your little scare tactics. Haven’t had this much fun since Nightmare Night.”

Once more, the voice chuckled, sounding quite amused. “You certainly have a very skewed definition of laughing things off. The way your client is cowering against you, trembling with fear and staring at the phone with wide, frightened eyes does indeed give the impression of her laughing this off.”

‘This is going nowhere,’ Rainbow thought with a frustrated roll of her eyes.

“Yeah well fuck you too.” She replied as she hung up rather angrily. “Boring conversation anyway.”

“But...But Rainbow...he’s watching us!” Fluttershy whimpered, trembling. “He knows you’re here, he can see us right now...”

“Yeah well, he probably has another camera.” Rainbow said looking around for more vents.

“...What do you mean, another camera?” Asked the former model, fear creeping into her tone.

Dash swore under her breath. “Yeah... yeah that’s what I was in you bedroom for... He’s been watching you. I had hoped that was the only one...”

A terrified squeak escaped Fluttershy, to which she leaned against the wall to regain her balance. Watched. Cameras. Watched. She was being watched. Wherever Sombra was, he could see them right now.

“Oh god...oh god...” Fluttershy held a hand to her mouth, trembling with fear.

“Hey... Hey!” Rainbow took hold of Fluttershy’s hand. “Don’t let him see you scared. Bastard probably gets off on it. Don’t let him. Be brave, okay? You can’t let them see you scared. Where’s the Fluttershy that just fled the scene of a shooting?”

Looking to the shorter woman with scared eyes, Fluttershy tried hard to let her words sink in and be brave. But all she could think about was how she was violated, with her home now declared unsafe. He could see her every move, with or without wiretaps.

“I’m trying...” Fluttershy’s voice shook. “I’m trying...I just...he can see us right now...I feel unsafe... I don’t even know if he has wiretaps in the house... I’m sorry... I know I shouldn’t be scared, you’re right... I think he is that much of a sadist...”

Rainbow nodded solemnly. She understood. It would take more than a single evening to bring Fluttershy into her world. Absently she thought sadly about how a model who could have lived the easy life had been brought into a position where she needed Dash’s help. Brought into a world of hidden cameras and psycho stalkers.

“It’s okay.” Rainbow said in an attempt to console her, “He overplayed his hand by telling us he was watching, now we know there are more cameras. We’re going to take ‘em out, and that gives us all the more leads.”

Hearing her assuring words, Fluttershy released a breath she hadn’t realized she was holding, “I...I suppose that’s true... Now that we know...we can find them... Would it even make substantial evidence?”

“If we can trace ‘em, we can make it stick.” Rainbow said as she scanned the room. “We give it to the cops. If all goes well then the bastard goes to jail for a good long time.”

A spark of hope entered the pinkette’s teal eyes. “Ooh, then we should find them and get them out! We’ll be able to finally put him away!”

And with that the pair set about searching the rest of the house for any further surveillance equipment. Fluttershy for her part helped to point out to Dash every nook and cranny where she believed another lipstick camera could be hidden. Rainbow deferred to her clients, after all this was her home and no one would know it better. Though, Rainbow bitterly thought that Sombra likely knew at least as well.

They’re diligence was rewarded. Unfortunately each time the thrill of discovery was tinged with spine chilling sensation that Fluttershy’s privacy had been all the more compromised. After discovering one particularly well concealed camera in Fluttershy’s on suite master bathroom, Fluttershy found herself feeling particularly violated.

“He... He was watching...” Fluttershy’s voice broke off. She was unable to add voice to the indignity she felt.

Dash simply growled. Clearly this bastard’s depravity knew no bounds.

Overall, once their search had concluded, they had recovered four cameras. If Sombra had bugged the apartment for sound he would have had to have hidden them within other objects within Fluttershy’s home. A quick survey of the ex-model’s appliances revealed no tool marks. With any luck, Sombra wasn’t listening.

By then, it was getting late, with Fluttershy soon announcing that she was tired. At that point, she felt a mixture of relieved and terrified; wondering if there were any more cameras in the apartment now. In case they could have missed one. She’d tried to calm down, but ended up changing for bed in her closet, the only place where it would’ve been impossible to store a hidden camera-they checked-to try to feel safe.

Now she lay in her bed, curled up in a fetal position, trying to figure a way to sleep. She felt so scared, so wired, yet so exhausted. Her stomach churned, gut wrenched, and her heart seemed to pound painfully. Even with the lamps left on, Fluttershy felt unsafe in her own bedroom, the very room that was to be her sanctuary. Her only solace at this point was covering the window so well that it wouldn’t leave any gaps. Despite that her apartment building would not allow for someone to look in, not without scaling the building and being seen themselves.

Taking a breath, Fluttershy whimpered a bit, trying to calm down. A shadow fell over her, making her yelp silently, startled. But as her gaze turned to the lit doorway, she came upon Rainbow Dash standing there.

“S’okay Fluttershy.” Rainbow said with a disarming smile. “I got your back, okay, and I’m gonna be here all night. Just wondering where you keep the coffee?”

Stunned, Fluttershy gazed at the detective with wonder. “Um, cabinet...above the counter next to the stove...” She said automatically.

Dash cocked an eyebrow, unable to suppress a grin. Perhaps it was the feeling of satisfaction in finally having made headway on the case, or a feeling of confidence that they had managed to finally root Sombra shadow from the apartment, but Rainbow felt herself feeling a bit lighter now.

“What’s that look?” She asked Fluttershy, a playful quality dancing at the edges of her voice.

“I-I...um...” Fluttershy blushed a little, sitting up in bed. “I just...I was...surprised you’re willing to stay with me tonight... I’m sorry...I know you must feel more like a bodyguard right now...but I do appreciate it...I-I really do.”

“Yeah well...” Its true, Dash hadn’t expected to be spending the night inside Fluttershy’s apartment, but Sombra’s reach had rattled the P.I. a bit. Better to keep her client safe than to gamble her safety for a few clues, especially when they had been so fruitful in their sweep of Fluttershy’s apartment.

“Gotta keep you breathing.” Came the gumshoe’s eventual reply. But it was a bit more than that. In these quieter moment Dash could see that. She was intrigued by the ex-model, had been even before there was an ‘ex’ to place before the title.

“Thank you...” Fluttershy smiled at her, no traces of fear or uncertainty remaining. She hadn’t expected this, but Rainbow Dash truly was a saving grace. If she hadn’t come to her office, seeking her out, there was no telling what would happen now. “I really...feel so safe with you...and I can’t thank you enough for that...”

“Don't worry about it,” Dash replied, mumbling slightly. She felt herself blush lightly at the compliment. She was quite unused to receiving such heartfelt gratitude from her clients, especially when the job wasn’t even remotely done. She looked away from Fluttershy in an attempt to hide the tint upon her cheeks. The again maybe it wasn’t the thanks itself, but rather who it was coming from.

“I...I know, but I still just...want you to know how grateful I am,” Fluttershy said softly, her smile growing. “So...well...definitely make yourself at home, of course. The bathroom is right there, you can use it however you see fit, if you need a bath or shower for example. If you’re hungry, feel free to fix yourself something from the fridge or pantry. And if you do need anything else, you can let me know. Um, I can even write a list as to where things are, if you need me to...”

Rainbow found herself staring at Fluttershy again. then she began to laugh. It was a soft good-natured laugh, full of mirth and free of malice.

“Fluttershy, its okay. I’m not some sort of fancy house guest, I think I’ll be fine. Just needed to know where the coffee was and all that. But thanks for all the offers, I’m sure I’ll take you up on the whole food thing. Food always helps keep my energy up during a stakeout. I’ll pay you back for the the food and coffee though, I’m not going to have you paying me to eat my way through your pantry.”

The pinkette shook her head and pouted. “I don’t have company often. Can’t you let me have this? Guests don’t pay me back, and you’re my guest. I’m paying you, you don’t have to pay me back for anything. Really...my home is your home.”

Rainbow frowned a bit before finally relenting. She normally never gave in, especially on matters of pride like this, but there was something about Fluttershy’s pouting lips. She just didn’t want to see her unhappy. “Okay, okay. I guess I am your guest then.”

“Yay!” Fluttershy clapped her hands, giggling like a schoolgirl. “Well, I’m going to try going to sleep now. Um, feel free to do as you please, of course. You can even turn the TV on, if you want. ...I do leave it on sometimes, that or the radio...just to have some kind of company...it helps,” she admitted, looking away bashfully.

Rainbow nodded in understanding. She actually did the same from time to time. Living alone tended to prove lonely, even for fearless private investigators. Sometimes it just helped to hear the voices of others, even if they were artificial.

“Well...” Rainbow began a bit awkwardly, it wasn’t often she saw someone off to bed, “uh...goodnight.”

She then turned and left the bedroom and its occupant behind as she headed back into the main living area.

“Goodnight!” Fluttershy called after her. She blinked, feeling a bit odd at having said that, considering how long it had been.

Laying back in her bed, the former model felt her body relax. If nothing else, she felt a lot more safe knowing someone else was there with her tonight. Especially someone as strong and fierce as Rainbow Dash. To think she had managed to fight off five stronger, bigger men like she had. A flutter came to her heart, as did a little spark of excitement. She giggled to herself girlishly, rolling onto her side.

‘Oh my gosh... Rainbow Dash is just...everything I dreamed she’d be! I did make the right choice in seeking her out... She’s amazing! I don’t know where I’d be if I didn’t see her today...’ She thought, her smile growing dreamy. ‘And she’s so...captivating. Beautiful, in her own way... I hope this all works out....and I hope I can see her again, after the case is over...’

With all of this in mind, Fluttershy managed to relax herself and soon fall asleep.

XXXX

The past several hours had been entirely uneventful. Rainbow had kept herself alert, continually inspecting any point of entry she could imagine, or even just patrolling the apartment. Between her patrols she had also managed to fix herself a sandwich, drain an entire pot of coffee, and read Firefly's case files backwards and forwards.

Though she had to admit it was most certainly one of the most comfortable stakeouts she’d ever been on. Normally she found herself crouching in or under a car, up a tree in a park, or even in a dumpster. She thought with bitter disgust at the memory of the last instance. She definitely not going to do that again. It had taken almost a week to get that smell out. That made a week of hearing AJ and Pinkie snicker behind their hands every time she was in the bar.

After yet another patrol, Rainbow became aware of the natural consequence of flooding her system with a whole pot of coffee. Quietly as she could manage she made her way through Fluttershy’s bedroom and into the adjoining bathroom, shutting the door as softly as she could behind her.

With a sigh of relief Rainbow emerged from the restroom a few minutes later. As she crossed back into the main room a soft sound hit her ears. She looked over to see Fluttershy, curled up in her bed, her pink hair spread across the pillow. The sound she had heard was snoring. The cutest, softest little snores Rainbow Dash had ever heard.

Rainbow felt a smile play at her lips. Of course Fluttershy would snore like that, it just seemed to fit her perfectly. Then it occurred to Rainbow that this was probably the best night’s sleep that Fluttershy had been able to have in weeks... month’s even. Dash began to feel a warm feeling well up in her chest.

She had been on many cases before, but the life of the private investigator was far from glamorous. Most of her cases involved cheating spouses, locating lost suspects or dragging home runaways. It had been quite a while since she had felt such pride in her work, but even then she could feel that what she felt now was more than just pride. There was something else mixed in with it, intensifying the warmth she felt in her chest.

She wasn’t sure how she had arrived at Fluttershy’s bedside, but now here she was, taking a closer look at the sleeping ex-model.

‘She’s even more beautiful in real life...’ Rainbow thought to herself, ‘I always thought she was sexy... I mean who wouldn’t... but damn... she’s more than that...She’s the most beautiful girl I think I've ever seen’

She was overwhelmed by an urge to sit at her bedside, to spend the rest of her vigil right at the pinkette’s side. She then shook her head, willing herself to regain her senses. No. No she couldn’t. Rainbow knew that it couldn’t be that simple. Just because she wanted to, even felt as though she needed to, she shouldn’t and she couldn’t. Especially because of how bad she wanted it.

‘If I gave in... If I let myself try and be with her now, of course she’d fall for me. I’m her knight in shining armor... That’s why rule seven exists... I can’t have her waking up years later realizing she only got together with me because I saved her life... if it ever lasted that long...’ She turned to leave the room, and leave Fluttershy to her peace. She stole a glance back at the slumbering figure as she crossed the threshold, ‘...still...’

Rainbow sighed and returned to her post on couch preparing another pot of coffee. It was going to be a long night. Just Dash and her thoughts, all alone.

XXXX

The next morning, Fluttershy awoke at around 9:40 or so, a bit later than she’d usually sleep at times. She let out a sigh of relief, glad to have been safe another night, and let her body relax.

Getting out of bed, the woman took a silk robe, pulling it on and tying the belt. Much to her own surprise, the door was half ajar, to which she’d thought that Rainbow Dash would close it behind her. Nonetheless, she exited her room and went into the main area. Nothing was out of place, aside from magazines on the coffee table, and seemed to be secured. No signs of a break-in or anything of the sort.

On the couch, Rainbow lay there, curled up in the fetal position. One hand clutched a throw cushion that rested beneath her head, the other dangled over the edge of the couch, fingers barely brushing the carpet.

Given the half empty mug of coffee on the coffee table, sitting on a coaster, Fluttershy could only deduce what happened the night before. She smiled, slowly going over to where the detective lay, unable to resist.

‘My...she really does look...peaceful when asleep...’ Fluttershy thought, keeping her keen eyes on the smaller woman, kneeling beside the couch.

She observed her, taking in her peaceful face, scruffy rainbow hair, and the light tan to her skin. Fluttershy held her hand to her, feeling the urge to-no. She drew it back, feeling unsure about it.

‘I just want to touch her hair...it must be a little bit soft...right? And it’s beautiful... I’ve never seen rainbow hair before... Is it natural? Her eyebrows are red... Does her hair match her-no! I can’t think that!’ Fluttershy shook her head fiercely. ‘Never mind that... Rainbow really is an interesting woman...very tough, aggressive, and calculating... She knows her stuff, I can tell, and from what I’ve heard...’

Carefully, so as not to wake her, Fluttershy reached out and just ever so gently brushed her bangs along her forehead. Much to her surprise, she spied a scar running along one side of her forehead, going down toward her ear, but stopping a few inches. A little jolt of concern came to her heart as her mind reeled with curious questions. But then again, it wasn't her place to ask, and figured it was irrelevant, considering that she at least survived whatever happened.

Releasing her bangs, Fluttershy instead opted to gently adjust Rainbow’s head along the pillow to make her more comfortable. In the process, she could feel the slightly course, but still soft strands of the prismatic hair. She smiled a bit, running her fingers through it gently.

‘Such beautiful hair... I’ll bet it’s as soft as can be when it’s washed... She really is beautiful... I would bet that with the right hair styling, some pretty clothes she’d like, and some makeup...she’d be a stunning woman...’ Fluttershy thought, her smile growing. ‘But that doesn’t even matter...she looks just fine the way she is...the way she wants to dress. I wouldn’t ask her to change like that.’

Rainbow suddenly jerked in her sleep, eyes drifting open ever so slightly. Was she still asleep? It was quite the lovely dream. A beautiful girl at her bedside stroking her hair. A girl with the most enchanting teal eyes and flowing pink hair. That model, the one from the lingerie catalogues that she kept hidden in the little table next to her bed...

Slowly Rainbow began to find her mind again and the events of the past evening caught up with her. Her eyes widened.

“...uhhh... morning....” Rainbow managed as her face grew steadily more pink.

“Good morning, Rainbow...” Fluttershy beamed, leaning in a bit closer. “Did you sleep well? Were you comfortable?”

“Yeah...” Rainbow replied, not sure if she was frightened or thrilled by having someone so close to her. “Sorry I fell asleep, I waited until it was morning, but you can only fight the sleep beast for so long, besides I figured I useless to you if I’m groggy all day... so I had a bit of a nap...”

“Oh, no no! Don’t apologize. In fact, I was hoping you would get some sleep, as well.” Fluttershy said, shaking her head. “It’s all right now, so that works fine. Um....well, speaking of it all... I wanted to thank you, for saving my life again...”

Seeing Rainbow’s hand now resting on her side, she reached for it, gently touching it.

Rainbow felt herself flinch slightly at Fluttershy’s touch. Its not like she was never touched, but it was rarely... gentle. Violent, yes. All the time, Rainbow got into more fights than she could count. The few times that Rainbow found herself on the receiving end of another’s touch who didn’t have any ill will in mind, it was generally because she was drunk and wanted sex. But a gentle touch, it was almost completely foreign to her.

Then something Fluttershy had said finally sunk in.

“Again? I’d hardly call removing a couple cameras saving your life.”

“I-oh...”

Fluttershy came to realize what she’d said, and bit her lip. To Rainbow, the night before, during the encounter with the thugs, was the only time she’s saved her life. A soft blush tinted her cheeks, to which she now knew that she’d written herself into a corner. Taking a deep breath, she could relive that memory, without the pain and terror of what had occurred. But this time, with the hope of what it had brought her.

“Well, Rainbow... There is something I should tell you. Yesterday, when I first came into your office....it actually wasn’t the first time we’d met,” she said, biting her lip.

Rainbow sat up rather abruptly.She prided herself on her skills at observation. “Wait, no way. I’m pretty sure I’d remember meeting you.”

“Oh, well...” Fluttershy sat up too, sitting down beside her on the couch. “We didn’t exactly meet per se... all we did was exchange a couple of looks. Then you were gone before I could thank you. I was...I was also in disguise...wearing a wig and glasses, so yes, you didn’t know it was me. Do you...remember the robbery that took place at the Evergreen Market, about three months ago? You stopped the thief before he escaped.”

“Oh yeah that,” Dash rubbed her chin thoughtfully. “You know the cops never gave me back the cuffs I used on that guy... probably got them mixed up with their own... Should have got an evidence receipt. I just gave my statement and bolted, hate hanging around the cops too much. Growing up where I did, those flashing lights never mean good news... So that was you huh? Weird way the universe works.”

Fluttershy smiled, nodding. “Yes...I was the woman who was held at gunpoint... You grabbed the thief away from me and punched him. I-I know you were only stopping him and all, but I...well, no one has ever saved my life before... It was a completely different feeling... If you hadn’t...he was going to pull the trigger. I was terrified and trying not to scream, but he said he was getting annoyed with me and was going to do it. But then you stopped him, and I...I wanted to thank you, of course... But you were gone, and I can see why.”

She looked down at her lap, recalling the events of that day, three months ago...

XXXX

The Evergreen Market was modestly full of customers as Fluttershy walked in, readying for her weekly grocery shopping. She liked this store, as it sold some fresh farmed goods, a perfect little farmer’s market. With her list in hand, basket selected, she was ready for her little mission.

Donning a blonde wig, along with some sunglasses, Fluttershy felt relieved. No one would recognize her, try to question her, or crowd her. She was safe, and hopefully, from any other sources, as well. A couple of customers glanced at her, but didn’t spare another. So far so good.

Browsing the aisles of fresh produce, Fluttershy inspected the vegetables curiously. She saw something at the corner of her eye, then glanced over. Nothing, just a display stand. She giggled to herself, shaking her head before she went back to what she was doing.

A scream filled the store, followed by a loud gunshot.

Yelping in fright, Fluttershy’s eyes widened as she saw a man, dressed with a ski mask over his face, wearing gloves...and brandishing a gun. He was standing at the cash stop, pointing the gun at the cashier, yelling something to her. It occurred to Fluttershy then, this was a hold-up. A robbery.

“Money!” The robber shouted, his voice deep and rough as though he spent every waking hour inhaling cigarettes. “Fucking money! God fucking dammit are you deaf!? Do you think I give fuck about putting bullet in that melon of yours!? Just open up the damn register and give me the god damned cash!”

The cashier, with her hands up in the air, nodded slowly. “I-I would, but I can’t...I can’t open it unless I make a sale... Th-That’s just how it works...”

The man swore again under his breath and cast his eyes about, alighting on a blonde woman with a half-full shopping basket.

“You!” He pointed his gun in Fluttershy’s direction, “Get over here and give this bitch your shit so she can make a sale, got it?”

Heart stopping, Fluttershy felt as if her feet were glued to the floor. She trembled, her stomach churning, as fear filled her very being. The store was being robbed, the man had a gun, and one wrong move would get someone seriously injured or killed. She whimpered, forcing herself to make her way to the cash, looking anywhere but at the armed robber.

“O-O-Okay...p-please...don’t hurt anyone....” Fluttershy squeaked in fright, managing to place her basket onto the counter. “Please...”

Hastily, but clumsily, with shaking hands; she managed to place her items onto the counter so that the cashier could run them through the scanner. Dutifully, eyes on the gun, the cashier ran them through, keeping one hand up in the air at all times.

Fluttershy trembled, whimpering, at least until the man grabbed her roughly by the arm, jamming the barrel of the gun against her temple. She screamed, beginning to struggle.

“Shut up. Shut the fuck up.” The man growled. “Having a quiet hostage is useful. My advice to you, stay useful and shut up. Scream again and you won’t live to do it a third time.”

Unbeknownst to the robber a figure was approaching him from behind, dressed in a trenchcoat and fedora. Though she was taking her time, making sure not to alert the assailant to her presence. As she drew closer the cashier’s eyes widened slightly, but Rainbow Dash pressed a finger to her lips, warning the woman to remain silent.

The cash register then made a little dinging noise, as the total amount from the sale displayed on a little screen.

“Th-That’ll be $37.95, ma’am...” The cashier said dutifully, and the cash register opened. She proceeded to pull out the money from it, as well as emptying the change from the money rolls.

Fluttershy let out a breath, trying to calm herself, and get her mind off the pain from the man’s hold on her arm. “O-Okay sir...you have the money... I’ll even give you the money I have on me...just please let me go...please...” She whimpered.

“What part of quiet hostage did you not understand?!” The man said, pressing the still warm muzzle of the gun to Fluttershy’s forehead, “So shut the fuck up or I will fucking waste you!”

All Fluttershy could do was obey, little whimpers escaping her. Somewhere behind her, she could hear someone using their cell phone to call the cops. But would it be too late by the time they got here?

She trembled, just waiting for it to be over. He had already cocked back the hammer, all he had to do was pull the trigger, and she’d be dead. Her entire life seemed to flash before her eyes, the terror of being upon the brink of life and death overcame her senses. Dread filled her, the very regret of not living her life as she’d always wanted, the fear of losing her chances... Fluttershy felt her body seize, her stomach churn, and her heart fall to the floor. It was over. It was going to be over.

Trying hard to think of better thoughts, to sing a song in her head, anything, Fluttershy tried to remain as quiet as she could. Maybe, just maybe, there was a chance she would live. She had to take it, she had to try.

The robber heard a cough behind him, as though someone was attempting to get his attention. He wheeled around attempting to point his gun at the interloper. Though before he could level the firearm at this new threat, an uppercut caught him across under his jaw.

His vision flashed white. His head was spinning. Then he remembered the gun clenched in fist and attempted to bring it to bear once more, but before he realized what had happened he felt a sharp pain in his wrist and the pistol pulled from his grasp.

Another blow to the head and the would-be thief was kissing the floor. He felt his wrists once more spasm in pain as the cold steel of handcuffs were fastened about them.

“They always forget about that pressure point on the wrist,” A smoky yet feminine voice said. “Its like all these idiots learn how to criminals from the same moron.”

“You fucking bitch! You better let me out of the fucking things you fucking cu-” The robber screamed in purest rage, though a swift kick to his ribs silenced him mid-obscenity.

Rainbow Dash, though modest in height, towered over the fallen robber. A snarl played at her lips, and her scruffy rainbow hair appeared wild about her head. “Speak again and the next kick lands farther south.”

Rainbow located her misplaced hat which must have at some point during the altercation fallen to the shop’s floor. Dusting it off as she retrieved it, she then replaced it atop her multi-colored head, breathing a sigh of relief at having the treasured piece of apparel back in its proper place.

“Everyone alright?”

The customers all around gave nods of confirmation, with one of them announcing that the cops had been called. The cashier looked relieved herself, and put the money back into the register.

Silently, Fluttershy paid, and could not keep her eyes off the woman before her. The captivating young woman in a trench coat and hat, with a head of multi-coloured strands. For a moment or two, their eyes met, to which Fluttershy felt her breath hitch. She had never seen such beautiful, captivating eyes before. A shade of a dark pink, a sort of cerise colour. They were hard, sharp, indicating that the woman was strongly guarded.

Fluttershy felt a strange sense overtake her, along with how amazed she was. This woman, much shorter than she herself was, had managed to take down a much bigger man. Whatever she did, she was strong. She wasn’t even sweating.

‘...Beautiful...amazing...strong...’ Fluttershy thought, unblinking. She just couldn’t look away. It felt as if she would disappear if she blinked or even tore her gaze away.

Dash’s lips quirked up in a little smile, “You okay? He didn’t hurt you too much, yeah?”

Though before Fluttershy could open her mouth to answer the store was bathed in flashing blue lights.

“Looks like the cops finally decided to show.” Rainbow said with a snort, turning her attention away from the former hostage and towards the new arrivals. “Well better give my statement...”

And with that she was off, meeting the police outside, rather than waiting for them to come to her. Then after exchanging some brief words with a uniformed officer and flashing a business card, she set off into the night leaving the crime scene behind.

“....Wow....” Fluttershy murmured, still looking after her. Remembering where she was, she helped the cashier bag her purchases. Seeing a customer she recognized next to her, she turned to the woman. “Miss Heartstrings...do you know who that woman was? The one with the rainbow hair, who just stopped that man?”

“Hrmm?” The young woman with two-tone pale teal-and-white hair replied looking at the spot the private eye had vanished from. “Oh, that was Rainbow something-or-another, she’s in here all the time. Though it’s the same time every week, like clockwork.”

“You mean, Rainbow Dash?” Said the cashier, smiling. “She’s a P.I. and totally awesome.”

“....Rainbow Dash...” Fluttershy looked out the doorway again. The name just seemed to roll off her tongue like never before.

She was not about to forget that woman.

XXXX

“So...a small world, isn’t it?” Fluttershy giggled. “You were the one who stopped him, and I was the hostage...”

“Yeah...” Rainbow replied running a hand through her hair. She sighed a bit. “Well, if you want to thank me for it again, don’t. I was just doing what I do.”

“...I’m just being sincere for the effort... I know you didn’t do that for any reason than doing your job and simply helping another,” Fluttershy looked away a bit.

Rainbow pouted a bit. “When you put it like that... it makes me sound like some sort of, I don’t know... hero.”

Seeing her pout, Fluttershy giggled. She wasn’t sure why, but Rainbow was so cute when she’d pout. “Hee hee. Well, then you can be mine. There’s no denying that you have helped me a lot... So, you’re my hero... You don’t have to read into that, of course. It’s just for fun.”

Dash shook her head, but she couldn’t quite keep a smile from her lips. When she spoke there was a playful quality about her tone, even though on the surface it seemed stern. “Okay. Fine. just don’t get carried away with that, I’m only human.”

“Awww...so you’re not going to get on a horse, ride into the sunset, wield a sword and shield and wear armor? That’s not fair...my fantasies are ruined!” Fluttershy quipped, laughing a bit. Normally she wasn’t so jokey or sarcastic, but there was just an irresistible urge to try for it, especially when the material seemed to be placed in her lap.

“Do I look like I belong on the cover of trashy romance novel?” Rainbow replied, unable to suppress a burst of mirth filled laughter.

Fluttershy giggled, delighted that she’d made her laugh. “Well...coming from my experience...no. But, you can’t deny that it would be the most unique cover! Hee, I would make for a good romance novel cover...” She made a sweet, sultry pose, giving her a ‘Come Hither’ look. “See?”

Rainbow briefly choked on her own saliva as she attempted to keep her tongue in her mouth. That would most certainly make one hell of a romance novel cover. However unwilling to reveal the more heated fantasies the look had inspired, Dash simply responded with: “You sure you haven’t already done one?”

Relaxing herself from the intricate pose, Fluttershy thought for a moment. “...I don’t know... I did make certain poses, and the company did sell prints... So it is likely that a publishing company used one of my prints for a book cover.”

“Well I’ll keep an eye out for you. If I ever see a romance novel with a pink-haired maiden in distress,” If she was being truthful she would have said ‘I’ll add it to my collection of your work’ but being that was a bit embarrassing she settled on: “I’ll let you know.”

“Okay! Ooh! I know! We can go together! We’ll go to any nearby bookstore, we’ll look over the romance novel covers, and see what we find! It’ll be like a game!” The pinkette giggled, clapping her hands with delight.

“Maybe when I’m off the clock,” Rainbow said with a grin, the idea did sound fun though. But she was a P.I. first. As fun as their little game could be, and as nice as it would have been to give Fluttershy another way to forget her troubles, Rainbow knew that the best way would be to catch this stalker once and for all.

“How about I head down to the police station, and get some more work done on your case. then after words, who knows...” It was an odd feeling. She actually wanted to spend time with Fluttershy... it was like having a friend.

“Okay. Um...can I...go with you?” Fluttershy asked demurely. “I mean, if that’s all right, of course. I...have nothing else to do, anyway...”

Rainbow thought about it for a moment. She had never had a client take such an active role in an investigation before, but then again she hadn’t had a client who had been in quite this amount of constant danger before.

“Alright, come on along.” Rainbow said finally as she rolled her head about her shoulders, which caused a couple of pops and cracks as the stiff joints loosened.

“All right, then,” Fluttershy smiled, getting up. “Before we go, how about some breakfast? Would you like to take a shower?”

“Not a bad idea...” The detective responded and she now rolled her shoulders, letting out a satisfied grunt as they too popped and cracked. She rose from the couch, realizing that it wasn’t just her neck and shoulders that were feeling stiff. A hot shower would likely work wonders and reversing the effects of a long night spent primarily on a couch. “Meet’cha back out here for breakfast?”

Fluttershy beamed brightly, clapping her hands. “Okay! What would you like?”

“Whatever you got,” Rainbow called to Fluttershy as she made her way towards the bathroom, “I’m not picky!”

“I’ll make us some eggs and toast!” Fluttershy called after her.

XXXX

Roughly twenty minutes later Rainbow reemerged in the main room. She looked almost identical to when she left. Although her clothing remained the same, her polychromatic hair was now slightly damp and about her face was a look of supreme satisfaction.

“Nothing like a nice hot shower,” the P.I. remarked to herself. It was somewhat odd, though, the way using someone else’s soap and shampoo left a foreign scent clinging to her. While Fluttershy’s soap and such wasn’t exactly something Rainbow would have picked for herself, nonetheless she found the warm floral scents soothing.

All the while, Fluttershy was at the stove, making some scrambled eggs. On the counter to her left was a toaster, with two slices of bread already pushed in, and the coffeemaker was bubbling more coffee being made. The pinkette looked soft, calm, and was even dancing a little bit to a song that was playing on the radio. There was even a little something domestic in how she looked, the way she cooked the eggs and wore her silk robe over her nightgown. Many would’ve found it to be degrading, considering the expectations of women these days, but every bit of Fluttershy looked content.

Noticing Rainbow enter, she smiled brightly in greeting.

“Hey, I was just finishing this up. I hope toast and scrambled eggs will be to your liking, and I made more coffee,” she said.

“Sounds great, better than what I slap together for myself most mornings,” Rainbow replied, smiling in return and making her way over towards the kitchen nook. The smell of Fluttershy’s cooking was quite heavenly, and above all else she had prepared the nectar of the gods. “And Coffee. You’re a goddess.”

Fluttershy blushed and giggled, flattered. “Thank you... Um, so, how do you like your coffee?”

“Black as Tartarus and sweet as a kiss, least that’s what my dad always told people.” Dash answered with a smile. “In a nutshell: No cream, lots of sugar.”

“Mm, I never quite heard it that way, before...” Fluttershy said thoughtfully, filling one mug with coffee, the other with hot water. “But I like that, it’s an interesting way to put it. Especially that last part. Sweet as a kiss...” She began stirring in some sugar into the coffee-filled mug, a dream smile etching at her lips.

“Yeah,” Rainbow laughed softly to herself as she accepted the mug from Fluttershy. She took a slurp of the steaming liquid and sighed contentedly. “I always thought it was my dad’s way of hitting on waitresses at coffee shops.”

“Ooh... That sounds sweet, actually,” Fluttershy remarked, setting the table with their plates and utensils before taking a seat herself. “I mean, I’ve heard a lot of pickup lines in my lifetime and all kinds of those...more crude phrases and such. But it is nice to hear something that could be considered more sincere. Even if it wasn’t quite the intention, I suppose...”

Dash took a seat at the table alongside her client, wasting no time digging into her breakfast.

“That was dad alright” Rainbow replied, though there was almost a forced nature to the casualty of her tone. “Real sweet guy. One of the good ones.”

A slight jolt came to Fluttershy’s heart as she put the pieces together. Was. Past tense. She swallowed, wondering if it would be appropriate to ask further about it. Then again, it was likely that she wouldn’t want to talk about it or be put on the spot. The death of a family member was never easy, most especially when it seemed that they were close, or at least had a good relationship.

Drinking down some tea to calm herself, Fluttershy decided to steer it along and make it a little less awkward, hopefully.

“He sounds sweet,” Fluttershy smiled. “I take it you were close with him?”

“Mhmm.” Rainbow replied around a mouthful of food. However, that was all the reply that came. She didn’t feel like turning their breakfast into the Rainbow Dash Sob Story Hour. Better not to say anything at all. Unfortunately this could have the unintended effect of making Fluttershy uncomfortable. Dash’s cerise eyes remained focused intently upon her plate, not quite willing to search out those of her host, for fear of conformation of her theory.

‘She doesn’t want to talk about it.... I don’t want to make her uncomfortable, or feel obligated to tell me. If she ever does, she’ll do so on her own terms, and I’ll listen. For now... I should take it away from her... I don’t have anything to hide about my parents, anyway.’

“That’s really nice to hear. I...well, wish I were close to my parents,” Fluttershy admitted, slowly proceeding to eat her own breakfast.

Rainbow lifted her gaze and offered a sympathetic quirk of her lips. “Sorry to hear that.”

“Oh, it’s okay. It’s nothing worrisome or anything. It’s just....well, I can’t exactly say we had a close relationship. Um...here, how about this? You know when you have the kind of relative you don’t see very much? Then you do see them on holidays, family reunions, and other such extended family gatherings? It’s kind of like that. You see them for a while, it’s good company, you chat and have a pleasant time together. But after you leave, and until you see them again, they just don’t have anything to do with you. Not out of dislike to you or animosity of any sort, but just because they have their own life going on and you don’t exactly fit into the equation. That was...well, is, the relationship I have with my parents. It’s been that way since forever, really...”

Dash hadn’t been sure what she had expected about Fluttershy’s childhood, but it hadn’t been that. It could have been the chip on her shoulder talking, but she always imagined that Fluttershy the famous model had a picturesque childhood. Puppy and white picket fence included. She chided herself. ‘You don’t have a monopoly on crappy childhoods, Dash.’

“Sorry to hear it, Fluttershy.” Rainbow replied in what she hoped was a comforting tone, “If it’ll make you feel better, I’ll tell you about my folks. Some other time though, but yeah, promise.”

A warm smile overcame Fluttershy’s face as she relaxed a bit. Revealing her own childhood, while certainly not the worst kind you could ask for, never was that easy to talk about. At least not like this. But there was a strange sense of familiarity that she couldn’t quite understand, and felt okay to reveal this to someone she didn’t know so well.

Most especially in circumstances like this. They were just having breakfast together, the morning after a stakeout in her home. They were detective and client, not two people out on a date and trying to get to know one another.

“Well, only if you ever want to, of course. But um, when you are ready, I’ll certainly listen,” Fluttershy said softly.

Rainbow nodded stoically as she polished off her breakfast, and finished her coffee with an almighty gulp. “Well, whenever you’re ready, we can get this show on the road.”

Nodding, the pinkette finished her own breakfast, and drank down the rest of her tea.

“Of course, so... I’ll just get myself ready and then we’ll head out. I-I won’t be long, I promise! ...Despite what others may believe, models don’t take forever get prepared. Unless it’s for a shoot.”

She smiled, winking, and then gathered their dishes to place into the dishwasher.

Dash, for her part, smiled at Fluttershy’s joke and leaned back in her chair. “Whenever you’re ready.”

Doing so, Fluttershy went to her room, preparing anything she would need. After a quick shower of her own, drying off her hair as much as she could, and getting dressed; she was ready to go. It was about less than half an hour by the time the former model was dressed, with her wig and sunglasses in tow, despite that it was raining outside.

Taking an umbrella, Fluttershy pulled on her hooded rain coat. “Are you ready to go, too?”

“Golden.” Came the P.I.’s reply as she appeared at the former model’s side, coat and hat already donned.

And with that, the pair once again descended into the concrete jungle that was Manehattan.

Author's Note:

Chapter 2 folks, enjoy! Expect Updates every Monday or Tuesday!