• Published 8th Sep 2013
  • 3,125 Views, 166 Comments

In Love and War - Rainbow_Danger_Dash



Soarin finally gets the chance to meet the pony of his dreams. But neither could expect what the future held...

  • ...
8
 166
 3,125

Chapter 18-Beginning of the End

It had to be a dream. Some sick nightmare of twisted memories and fears stuck deep in her brain. There was no possible way the monster that called himself Solar Flare was standing in front of Canterlot with a legion of soldiers around him.

"Soarin, let's go." Spitfire's voice was quiet and emotionless, yet clearly hiding the worry she undoubtedly felt. There were another few seconds of silence before she spoke again. "Soarin. Let's go." The sound of her wings flapping rapidly signified her departure, leaving him alone to stare down the swarm.

He slowly turned away and flew back towards the headquarters. Inside was chaos, as the team realized the extent of the forces facing them. Spitfire was discussing plans with other team leaders in the far corner of the room, whilst the members of each respective squadron made final checks over their gear.

"First and Second Squadrons will provide leadership for Guard units along the wall. Initial intelligence doesn't seem to be spotting too many fliers, so we really have to worry about the wall. Third Squadron has already departed; they know their job and are already working on it. Crescent Moon, keep your reserves in the city. If anyone breaks through, you have to be ready to engage. Tell your squadrons, and get ready to go." Spitfire nodded as they broke up, walking over to Soarin. "You'll have the quarter between the gate and the first major tower. Think you can handle it?"

"Of course," Soarin nodded, frowning slightly. "Do we have any intelligence whatsoever on what we're facing out there?"

Spitfire shook her head with a grim frown. "There's nothing. We didn't even know they existed until just now. I don't know how they masked their presence from the wall to here, but..." She sighed heavily, her typical stoic demeanor broken. "We have to fight them. There's no choice now. I've spoken with higher command, and there's a evacuation plan in the works right now. It'll use the old mines, so we just need to buy some time for now. Get all the noncombatants out and then the regulars and so on...last one out turns out the lights."

Soarin nodded solemnly, looking away slightly. He could see in her eyes the gravity of the situation. There wasn't panic; she was far too experienced to show any sort of panic to her subordinates, but Spitfire seemed to hold a sort of resignation. He knew she would never say it, but the look on her face told it all. The last time he had seen her like this was in their Equestrian Guard days, where three regiments of guard fell to defend the border of Equestria during the Dragon Expansions. She wouldn't back down, much as she wouldn't then, but the price would be high. As she walked away, Soarin turned and exited the headquarters, flying slowly and staring out over the mass outside the walls. There were so many. So many bound to the will of one pony who sought nothing but the destruction of Equestria. The one who now stood in front of the masses, seemingly staring at Soarin as he moved to his position on the wall.

-----------------------------------------------

The faceplate slid off his armor, hovering in the air beside him. Solar Flare's scarred face was cold and emotionless; yet held an aura of arrogance and power. He shook his mane free, letting it fall freely around his face as he stared up at the battlements.

"THIS IS THE FINAL CHANCE FOR THE SERVANTS OF THE FALSE PRINCESS TO LAY DOWN THEIR ARMS." The changeling army erupted in jeers and laughter as his voice boomed across the space between armies; the pounding of spears and armored hooves becoming almost deafening before instantly silencing as he turned his head slightly. "YOUR MEAGER FORTIFICATIONS HAVE NOT STOPPED THE TIDE OF CHANGE. MY POWER IS UNRIVALED. MY ARMY IS UNSTOPPABLE. DO YOU DARE STAND AGAINST THE FORCE THAT IS BEFORE YOU" He paused for a minute, cocking his head slightly at the silence that greeted him. "WHAT SAY YOU, SERVANTS OF THE SUN? PERHAPS YOU ARE TO SCARED TO FACE YOUR CONQUERORS?!”

Another chorus of chants and jeers rose from the legions of changelings, and again they were silenced by a slight gesture from Solar Flare. "IT SEEMS THE PRINCESS HAS CHOSEN TO FORFEIT THE LIVES OF HER OWN! COME! LET US BECOME IMMORTALIZED! LET THEM HEAR THE CALL OF THEIR DAMNATION!”

From the center of the Changeling army came a resounding boom, echoing throughout the valley. A thunder rose as the changelings marched in unison up the earthen ramp, thousands of chitinous hooves marching in unison. Solar Flare turned so he faced his soldiers, rallying them as they passed.

"THIS IS OUR TIME! FEEL THE FIRE OF RAGE INSIDE! TODAY WE SHALL FEED NOT ON THEIR LOVE, BUT ON DOMINATION! DIVIDE THEM! TEAR THEM APART! TAKE WHAT IS OWED AND KNOW NO FEAR! FORWARD, TO VICTORY!”

The drums sounded again, and a deep roar rose from the armored horde. The battle cry carried over the walls, causing panic in the city. As the last echoes faded, the chittering mass swarmed towards the walls, a wave of damnation bearing black armor and sharpened steel.

-----------------------------------------------

"They're coming." He subconsciously spoke first though of realization aloud as he stared down the ruined cliff face at the sea of black iron below. There were so many Changelings, so many soldiers hell-bent on razing the city to the ground.

A loud crack followed by a lavender arc of lightning snapped him back into focus. The bolt skimmed over the Guard's heads, branching out widely before it struck the forefront of the Changeling lines. Dirt and soldier flew into the air as peals of thunder echoed off the mountains. Another crack split the air a second later, white lightning striking the ground and rippling through the front ranks of the Changelings. Within seconds the whole of Canterlot was a raging tempest of multicolored magic, arcs of pure energy sharing the skies with roiling balls of flame and jerking waves of lightning. Cheers went up from the Guards with each successive hit, tearing through the ranks of the enemy with no mercy.

And yet they came. As the earth detonated around them and their forces were rent and torn, the first barrage of counter fire began. Green balls of flame rose in long, slow arcs from the masses below, before plummeting towards the bastions of the defending forces. Soarin ducked as one struck the wall several wingspans away, sending chunks of stone and bodies into the air. He turned away as he saw writhing flames dive off the wall and looked skyward, looking out for shots that could be headed his way. The darkened sky flashed a multitude of colors as both sides continued the deafening duel, while those without magic could only cower and prepare for the next hit. It was almost majestic, in a macabre way.

Suddenly a wave of searing heat rushed over the side of his face, and the world went black.

————————————————————-

"Wake up! Wake up Soarin!" A voice called out to him, the voice of a stranger. Yet at the same time, it seemed so familiar. Soarin opened his eyes, a dark blurry figure standing over him. He couldn't focus. There were just emerald eyes glowing against a darkened form. "I didn't come all this way for you to die now. Wake up! The battle is still going on!"

Soarin groaned, looking away. Everything seemed so peaceful. He had the faintest memory of...something. Something bad was happening, but it already seemed like so long ago. There were loud noises, screams...but this place didn't have any of that. It was nice here.

"I swear to Luna, focus!" The figure directed Soarin's attention with hooves that seemed to fade into the mist, but eyes that burned with intensity of the sun itself. "You're not leaving them behind, understand? You got Dash waiting for you, you have a city to protect, and you have to keep your team alive. You don't have time for this! Now wake up!"

Dash. She wasn't here. Soarin glanced around with a frown, stumbling to his hooves unsteadily. No one was here. This place was peaceful, but almost too peaceful. There was no one there other than him and the strange shadow beside him. Something wasn't right. Soarin turned, ready to address the stranger near him, but gasped as he felt a prick of sharp pain on his face. With every second, it grew in intensity, burning at him and spreading across the side of his face in almost unrelenting agony.

"Yes!" The figure nearly jumped into the air, a smile breaking its form. "Hold onto that feeling! We're getting you out of here!"

"Celestia it burns!" Soarin muttered as he doubled over in agony, hooves holding the side his face. "What is this?!"

"Whatever put you here in the first place, no doubt! Just keep focused on that!" The figures voice was already distant, the mists around them reversing quickly as a light grew on the horizon. "You're outta here! Make sure to tell Dash that-"

The voice cut off as Soarin snapped back into consciousness, stumbling to his hooves. An intense burning sensation immediately forced him back to the ground as he ripped off his helmet with a gasp of shock. Green fire licked at his hoof guards as he threw the scorched helmet aside, it's cheekguard covered in fire.

"Damn," he muttered with a wince as he touched his raw cheek. Or at least he thought he said it. It was impossible to hear anything below a shout with the constant explosions around him. As he stomped out the still-burning flames on his helmet, Soarin peeked over the battlements. The horde had already reached the base of the walls, although they were unable to scale them. Through the flashes of magic, he could see javelins and spears arcing through the sky before hitting the Changeling's below. He felt small shimmer of hope grow in the back of his mind as the enemy's forces were stalled while under heavy fire.

Then, above the sound of the bombardment, the drums began.

-----------------------------------------------

Rainbow Dash peered out of the stained glass window of Celestia's palace for what seemed like the millionth time. The city was ablaze. She could see the blasts of the defender's magic, and the barrage of green fire arcing into the city below. Somewhere down there was Soarin. Somewhere in the inferno...

The sound of the main doors opening caught her attention. Dash turned as Twilight entered the main chamber, quickly dismissing the two guards that immediately moved to provide security. She nodded as the lavender alicorn moved towards her, turning her attention back towards the window with a frown.

"I didn't expect to see you up here, Rainbow." The sound of Twilight's hooves on the marble floor of the throne room stopped as the alicorn stood beside her, looking over the city. "We're going to make it through this. We all are."

Dash sighed, nodding quietly. The constant fighting from both be battlefield and her dreams had sapped the entirety of her persona; the typical cockiness and steadfastness that she had maintained in the First Changeling Siege years before had weathered under the brutality of this new foe. The two stared out the window with a heavy silence for several minutes, until Dash broke the quiet.

"He's down there somewhere. In all that mess I wish there was something I could do. I don't know, maybe give Solar Flare the good ol' one-two in the face or something." She laughed with a empty smile, turning her eyes towards the ground. Dash felt a light touch on her shoulder, Twilight's wing resting supportively on her.

"I know you do. But the best thing you can do for him right now is remain safe. And safe is here, at the heart of Canterlot. As long as he knows you're fine here, you know he will fight as long as he has to so he can make it back to you. He's done it before."

Dash smiled ever so slightly, genuinely this time. "You always were the most reasonable of us, Twi. Still are." She looked back to the city, a hopeful glint in her eyes. "I know that he will stand strong, and his team will be with him the entire time."

"That's right. And he stands with the best Canterlot has to offer, too. Soarin is in good hooves."

"I know he is. You're right, as always. Thanks for that Twilight. You know I'm going to worry; but what you said helps. I know he's got a lot of ponies watching his back."

Twilight nodded with a warm smile, patting Dash's back before starting to walk off. "I have to meet with Celestia. We're discussing what to do, but in the meantime make sure you stay safe no matter what happens. Soarin needs you, as do your friends. He will be protected by many. Remember that."

Rainbow Dash turned away from the window with another sigh. Twilight had always been the best at advice in times of hardship. Her loyalty was a blessing and a curse at times, but her duty was to remain out of harms way. And so she would. All she could do was hope Soarin would emerge unharmed. And with the Wonderbolts and the Canterlot guard, the odds were in his favor.

Then, just as the glimmer of hope rose in her chest, the drums began.

-----------------------------------------------

"TOWER! TOWER!" Immediately Soarin perked his head up slightly, trying to locate the source of the sound over the barrage. The drums still pounded from the Changeling lines, maintaining a constant boom over the omnipresent sound of the bombardment. The cacophony was disorienting enough, but the combined smoke and debris filling the air made it nearly impossible to see.

Out of the dark it appeared, a dark mass of ridged chitin trundling through the lines of Changelings. Large spiked wheels tore into the packed earthen ramp, while shielding fleshed out on the side to cover those who pushed it forward. Hit after hit scored its black shell, yet it still continued to move forward. As it drew near, small flames of green magic burst from narrow slits scattered sporadically on the tower, washing the battlements within its vicinity in a storm of fire.

Soarin immediately ran towards the dwindling flames, dodging craters and the fallen as he tried to weave his way through the ranks of the Equestrian Guard. Others began to follow, a stream of golden armor moving to fill the gap torn in the line. As he leaped over the charred remains of the guards who had one stood there, he took another look at the tower. In such a short time it had nearly reached the walls. He could pick out every crevice, every blast mark caused by the Equestrian defenders. Soarin readied his sword in anticipation, and braced for the oncoming storm.

Suddenly, two large bolts shot from under one of the carapace pieces of the tower, punching into the walls of Canterlot. The tower shuddered as loud clanking sounds came from within it, and the stones of the wall groaned as the tower was winched forward. Time moved agonizingly slow for Soarin and those around him as they could do nothing but wait for the tower to reach them. With a loud groan it rocked to a stop, the upper carapace swiftly smashing onto the battlements. Immediately the Changelings set upon the defenders, rushing across the ramp towards the spear wall of the Equestrians.

Soarin dove to the side as the first few to cross were impaled and dropped off the side, their bodies serving to drag down the spears of the defenders so others could reach the line. He quickly jumped to his hooves and swung at the first changeling in range, green blood spraying across his face as the tip of his sword caught it under its chin. A second lunged towards him, it's spear catching the side of his chestplate and glancing off with little more than a scratch. Soarin pulled the spear with his left hoof and thrust his sword into his opponent's unarmored stomach as it stumbled forward. Spinning the spear in his hoof, he threw it towards the teeming mass that was pouring across the ramp of the siege tower before bringing his sword down on the back of a changeling's neck. He dodged a thrust of another spear, rushing forward and bringing his sword across its face. Another came, this one brandishing a hooked sword. As it swung downwards, Soarin moved in close, slamming his shoulder into the Changeling's gut as he wrenched the blade free. Before his opponent could withdraw Soarin brought its own sword across its back, the heavy metal of the changeling's sword cleaving through its armor. Immediately he was on the attack again, wielding the blade of the changeling and his own sword as he hacked and slashed through the swarm that still poured onto the wall. But despite his efforts, there was little to stem the tide. Guards fell around him, hewn by black iron and buried under them chittering masses that poured into the gap.

“Hold the line! Hold the line for your Princess and your families!” Soarin raised a sword above his head, rallying those within earshot before rushing forwards, jamming his sword through the first changeling he met. Around him the Guard held firm, but there were too many. A changeling spear clipped his neck, causing him to wince as he cut down its owner before stepping back slightly, letting the spears of the Guard keep the nearest changelings at bay.

Suddenly he was flung backwards as a deafening explosion sent a rain of chitin and steel across defender and attacker alike. Soarin stumbled to his hooves, coughing as smoke and dust filled the air. A immediate look over the battlements around him revealed the source of the explosion. Where the tower once stood was a smoking heap of chitin and wood, still anchored to the wall but nearly torn in two. Still dazed, he watched in shock as large bolts of lightning fell from a growing maelstrom of clouds above Canterlot. Each bolt sent large blasts through the lines of changelings that still surrounded the walls, tearing large gaps through their ranks. A cheer rose up from the embattled Equestrian lines as the Wonderbolts' Third Squadron flew over head, directing the storm's fury onto the besiegers.

Over the sound of thunder, the drums began again. As one the changeling army began to withdraw from the earthen ramp, chased by the storm and magical bolts from the Equestrians. Soaring breathed a sigh of relief as the last few descended into the darkness at the bottom of the ramp and out of sight. They had won the first battle. He threw the changeling blade off the wall and sheathed his own sword just as the sound of fluttering wings came from beside him.

"Hell of a fight, huh?" He turned to Spitfire, who stared out over the walls at the mass of dead changelings around Canterlot. It seemed that she too has seen combat, several cuts on her face still dripping blood and her armor bearing several tears and dents.

"Yeah. They hit the front gate hard. Bugs were literally getting teleported up to the walls by their mages. As if the bombardment wasn't bad enough..." Spitfire coughed once and cleared her throat before looking over Soarin. "Damn dude. You look terrible."

Soarin snorted, smiling grimly. "Yeah, you looked in a mirror recently?"

"Don't need to tell me. If I look how I feel, I must be a damn shitty sight right now." There was another silent pause as both looked towards the darkness that shielded the changeling line from view. "So, a siege tower, huh? Didn't think the bugs were smart enough to try something like that."

"Something tells me it's not their creativity that got 'em armor and equipment."

"Yeah. This whole thing is weird, man. But hey, they're not flying anymore. Guess that's a plus of them having that shit, if there is any positives in this."

"That's a big 'if', Spitfire. They just use towers now. And this is just the beginning."

"Don't worry Soar. We'll hold 'em. Just gotta wait until everyone is out, or until relief comes. And we gave em hell today. I doubt they'll be coming back up that for a while."

"I hope you're right." Soarin frowned as he looked back over the wall, the stillness almost off-putting. "By Celestia, I hope you're right."

-----------------------------------------------

Solar Flare moved atop the cliff face near the camp of his army, looking down towards the changeling army below. Already several towers were rolling towards the black cloud that surrounded the Canterlot valley. Dull thuds came from further down the valley, the source out of sight. Yet he knew what was to come.

The sound of iron scraping against rock caught his attention. He turned to the Iron Guard behind him, looking over the red paint on the shoulder plates and face mask.

"That color suits you well. How fitting you choose that for what is to come."

The Iron Guard stepped forward, bowing his head in subservience before looking out over the cliff towards the army below. "My lord, our initial probe reports the Equestrian elites still deployed along the walls. Does the plan remain the same?"

Solar Flare grinned, not that the figure opposite of him could see it through his faceplate. "Yes. We will strike their heart when they are weakest. The absence of the Wonderbolts is no loss. They too shall fall, but the objective remains the same. Ensure your team is ready."

The Iron Guard bowed his head again as he turned and ran back down the path. Solar Flare watched him leave, then turned his attention to the valley entrance. As if on cue, a dull guttural roar boomed off of the mountain walls, the source still out of sight. He watched the pebbles by his hooves shake with ever increasing frequency, then turned away from his overlook. The time was nigh, and Canterlot was ready to fall.

Author's Note:

Howdy y'all

Long time no see for well, everyone. I know I've been sitting on this for a long time, but I mentioned all that in my blog post. But I'm here! I had hoped to have 19 up as well but some additions and subtractions have frustrated my plans. Its almost done though, and I'll have it up before 13 July--after that I'm shipping out for six months so hopefully I'll have some time to write while I'm off doing Army things.

I'm rusty, so point out my writing mistakes as per usual.

As always, Stay Awesome

RDD

Comments ( 2 )

Damn, it's been a few days already and no comments. Seems like the community here is dying.

Anyway, good chapter. I had to get into it, but it was enjoyable.

Yeah no kidding no comments here, I guess I'll have to comment on what I think of this now.

So far I think this is no battle, this is a WAR!!:twilightangry2: Canterlot is in grave danger and the Wonderbolts and the Elements of Harmony gotta do something,:fluttershysad: also great character of Solar Flair the evil one, I like it.:raritywink::heart::rainbowdetermined2: I also like the drumming it really brings out the kaboom 💣💣 in war/fight time in it. Cool.:rainbowdetermined2:

What will they do now, run like cowherds or fight like a man? Let's find out on the next chapter. My friend good luck on this.:twilightsmile::pinkiehappy::rainbowdetermined2:

Login or register to comment