• Published 7th Sep 2013
  • 6,051 Views, 714 Comments

Dark Paradise: the TwiLuna Group Collab - Habanc



100-500 word prompt-based minifics from the TwiLuna group. Contains copious amounts of adorkableness.

  • ...
28
 714
 6,051

PreviousChapters Next
Rainbow - Fuzzyfurvert

Written by: Fuzzyfurvert

*****

Twilight mumbled to herself, working the end of her quill with her teeth into a ratty mess, as she glared at the pile of paperwork in front of her. She looked over at the abacus by her side for what must have been the hundredth time and huffed loudly.

Luna watched Twilight in silence. She’d seen the behavior often enough to know when Twilight was stuck in some problem and didn’t like the answer, so she kept checking and re-checking to find where the mistake was in her math or logic. Luna shook her head as Twilight turned back to the paper and start then stop, only to start and then stop again in frustration.

Twilight spat out the quill in her mouth and stood up quickly in their cramped quarters and turned around to look at the large rainbow colored spectrometer graphs. “This is impossible!”

“What is?”

Twilight looked over at Luna where she reclined on their shared bed. “This planet’s composition. It’s way too big to be a rocky planet!”

“Twilight, we’ve found other super-equus planets before. What makes this one so special?” Luna grimaced and shifted position slightly. “Talk me through it, my love. I’ve been stuck away from the telescope all night.”

Twilight’s face softened and she stepped over to the glorified bunk where her wife was relaxing. She took a seat on the edge and ran a hoof through Luna’s mane. “You remember that sun-like star in the Keplar system we found a last year and detected a significant wobble? We both thought it was a gas giant that was causing it. Last night I got the data in to do the calculations. According to the Doppler measurements of the wobble, this planet is big. Almost seventeen times the mass of Equus.”

“That is quite the mass.” Luna smiled at Twilight and moved to rest her head in the younger alicorn’s lap. “It is nowhere near the largest planets we’ve measured though.”

“True, but all of those planets are gas giants.” Twilight sighed and stroked her hoof along Luna’s brow. “Once I had the mass, I did the calculations for the volume assuming a spherical body and measuring the occults of the stellar surface to get the diameter.”

“Mmmm...talk calculus to me. Slowly.” Luna purred as she rubbed her cheek into Twilight’s tummy. “And don’t stop rubbing my temples. These new duties of mine don’t exercise my mind so much as frustrate it.”

Twilight chuckled and started to work her hoof in circles around Luna’s horn. “Well, as you know finding the density is merely as simple as taking the mass and dividing it by the volume. When I did, that’s where this little problem comes in. The density is five point four, Luna.”

“Oh my.” Luna closed her eyes and sighed. “Oh my your hoof feels good...keep it up, my sweet Evening Star.”

“Pay attention, please!” Twilight sighed and rolled her eyes. “Five point four is practically the same density as our own planet! It’s a rocky planet that is as big as a gas giant! Everything we’ve pieced together about how planets are formed says that is impossible.”

Luna groaned wordlessly and rolled over slightly and opened her bright teal eyes to gaze up at Twilight. “Nothing is impossible, Twilight, you know that. It simply means that we re-evaluate what we know about planet formation. But if it will make you feel better, I will check the calculations to make sure, ok? Besides, I believe it is your turn to feed Nova. I think I’m running dry.”

Luna shrugged the heavy woolen blanket off herself and gestured at the red colored foal attached to one of her teats. “A warning however, he is starting to bite pretty hard.”

Twilight groaned and let herself fall backward into the bunk. “Do I have to? Fathers don’t breastfeed!”

Luna lifted their foal to her chest and fixed Twilight with a glare. “These are new and strange modern times indeed, eh? Welcome to my world. Now feed him or I will unorganize your historical charts and graphs collection.”

PreviousChapters Next