• Published 6th Sep 2013
  • 12,533 Views, 1,053 Comments

Five Score: A New Hive - bossfight1



Chris, on his twenty-fifth birthday, begins going through some inhuman changes. Set in the Five Sco

  • ...
34
 1,053
 12,533

Chapter 27: Bitterness

Chapter 27: Bitterness

“You really have to think about yourself being in that spot!” Trixie said. “Then, once that spot’s firmly in your mind, you just prepare your spell,” she lit up her horn. “You wrap yourself in the aura, completely… Then, release!” With a blue flash she vanished, reappearing at a spot a few feet away. “The trick is learning how to do all this, quickly. Taking too long to get it right could get you killed, but doing it quickly and messing up could result in only half of you getting to its destination.”

“Pleasant,” I said, wincing. “Okay…” I stared at the spot between two large trees; I obsessed with that spot, memorized everything I could, and imagined myself being in that spot. Finally, I lit up my horn, wrapped myself in the spell and…

...Poomph! I felt the air twist around me for a millisecond before returning to normal. Suddenly, I was moving forward in the air, brutally fast, towards a--

“TREE!!” I yelped before George of the Jungle-ing into it, my legs wrapped around its trunk.

Oh my god, are you okay?!” Trixie cried as she ran up behind me. “I’m so, so sorry!! I forgot to talk about momentum with the spell!!”

I slowly pulled myself off the tree and landed heavily on my back, legs twitching like a fly in its death throes. “Would’ve been nice…” I said, strainfully. I achingly rolled over and stood up, popping my bones as I went. “Okay… Let’s try that again. So… momentum. What should I know, how do I compensate?”

“You sure?” Trixie asked. “We’ve been at this for a couple hours…”

“Teleporting has some fairly obvious perks that I could use, when we throw down with Discord,” I said firmly. “I know it’ll take a while to get the hang of it, but I’d rather have some general idea, rather than no idea of how to do it.”

“Sure, go to war with a crappily made gun that could blow up in your hands, rather than none at all…” Trixie said, rolling her eyes. “Fine, but I want to make sure you won’t put yourself in a wall. Now, when you teleport to a destination, your ‘essence’ is really being flung forward at impossible speeds. Once you reach the point where you reform yourself, that momentum’s not going anywhere. Here, watch…”

She teleported; when she returned she was suddenly staggering forwards, trying to keep her balance. “See?” She asked as she turned to me. “If you teleport yourself towards your destination in a straight line like that, you still have that forward energy behind you. That’s why, on the ground, you need to teleport yourself towards your destination like… Uh, here.” She picked up a twig. “This is you, right? Well, you need to teleport so that you go towards it…” She moved the twig horizontally. “Before making yourself go up on the way there…” She moved it upwards, diagonally, in the same direction. “And then making yourself drop towards the target.” She moved the twig down again. “Then you’ll have your momentum, but it’ll head towards the ground. You can use the momentum to your advantage, though; if you’re running in one direction and need to avoid something, you can teleport in a straight line, then use your forward momentum to keep your speed up.”

I nodded. “Okay, makes sense… Sounds like the only challenge in the ‘drop’ method, though, is not belly-flopping.”

“Just keep your legs straight when you reform, and you’ll be fine,” Trixie said encouragingly. “You got this.”

I took a preparatory breath. “Okay, let’s do it.”

Same as before, I lit up my horn, enveloped myself, and imagined myself heading to the target spot, downwards.

Poomph! I blinked to the spot and landed heavily on my hooves; my legs buckled from the landing, but otherwise I’d arrived in one piece.

I grinned triumphantly. “Woot!!”

“Great!” Trixie said happily. “Now it’s just a matter of, for lack of a better phrase, ‘muscle memory’. Get used to the method, to the point that you can do it with relative ease!”

I bowed my head appreciatively. “You have been wise sensei to little grasshopper, Trixie-senpai!” I said in a poor imitation of a Japanese accent.

Trixie rolled her eyes. “I’m gonna take that with a lick of salt until I’m sure you won’t lose any bits during a teleport.”

“Hey, guys!” We turned to see Liz entering the clearing, carrying a couple bags of food.

“Our monastery has been breached!” I said, continuing my god-awful accent.

“Keep talking, tool…” Liz said with a smirk, handing one of the bags to Trixie. “You sure Shining’s okay with you practicing magic out here?”

“If by ‘okay’ you mean ‘completely unaware’, then yes, he’s okay with it,” I said as we sat in a little circle.

“What if he finds you practicing out here?” Liz asked. “It could make Trixie’s life difficult if he finds out she’s helping you.”

“Then he’ll owe her an apology as well, once he gets it through his thick skull that I’ve changed,” I said simply.

“Liz is right, Chrys,” Trixie said, chewing on a sandwich. “The fact he knows about the eggs and Digit is bad enough, if he finds out you’re working on refining your magic…”

“All I’m doing is learning some new spells!” I said. “What’s wrong with that?”

“We don’t think anything’s wrong with it!” Liz said. “But do you really think Shining’s gonna listen? He’s wrong about you, sure, but that doesn’t mean he won’t throw us out of here if you give him sufficient reason to!”

I groaned and put my head in my hooves. “Alright… Stupid right people, with their stupid sound arguments…” I muttered in mock-bitterness.

“URGH!!” The three of us jumped and turned as Digit stormed into the clearing, dropping her form and looking ready to punch someone. “Mom? Can I hit Shining? Just once? Please?”

“Now, hold on, calm down…” I said. “What’s got you so upset that you’re craving his blood?”

Digit bit her lip, nervousness momentarily replacing the anger in her eyes. “Well, uh… I was… I was hungry, alright? And I knew you were busy training with Trixie, so I thought I’d… get some love of my own.”

I narrowed my eyes at her. “How?”

“Not by impersonating anyone!” Digit argued quickly. “Not any ponies or humans, anyway… I knew Fluttershy has a place on the far side of the farm, where she’s caring for a bunch of animals, right? So I thought I could…” Her words trailed off.

“You took the form of an animal and fed off of her, didn’t you,” Liz deadpanned, raising an eyebrow.

“Digit…” I said.

“I didn’t see anything wrong with it!” Digit argued. “I just took on the shape of a random bunny—I didn’t kidnap one and stow it away! Then I let her… love me for a while. But when I was about to finish, Shining came into the clearing, right? He asked Fluttershy if she’d seen you, me, Shift or Echo around. He said that we were probably ‘spying’ for you… Then he said—you ready for this? He said that you were probably already holding some people hostage somewhere! Feeding off of them and biding your time!!”

I grimaced in agitation for a moment before taking a calming breath. “Digit, remember what I told you; just… ignore him.”

“That’s just something a parent says to their bullied kids when they’re too lazy to do anything themselves…” Digit muttered bitterly.

Liz and Trixie’s jaws dropped. “Whoa…” I said, standing up. “Where did that come from?” Digit didn’t respond, content with glaring ruefully at the ground. I walked up to her and stood at her side, putting a wing around her. “What’s wrong, hon?”

“I don’t know, it’s just…” Digit mumbled. “I don’t like letting him act like a jerk and not get his due, that’s all…”

“Digit, remember…” I said soothingly. “He’s only doing this because of something we did, years ago. You can’t blame him for not trusting us.”

“There’s a difference between ‘distrust’ and ‘bitter hatred’...” Digit said. “And I don’t think Shining sees it.”

“Well, again, relish the fact that, once he sees how we’ve changed, Shining will feel pre-tty stupid,” I said.

“I guess…” Digit mumbled. I kissed her on the head.

“Why don’t you visit Fluttershy and her animals?” Liz suggested. “As yourself this time? Or rather, as Yoko. Get to know each other.”

Digit pursed her lips in consideration. “That might be fun…”

I gave her a hug. “Put it out of your mind, okay?” Digit nodded stiffly, then turned and headed back into the treeline towards the farm. I returned to sit with Liz and Trixie; Liz was giving me a look. “What?” I asked.

“Where did that comment come from?” She asked.

I couldn’t come up with an answer.

- - - - -

I walked past the trees, trying to keep Mom’s words echoing in my head. I glanced backwards, still able to see her with Liz and Trixie.

Maybe she’s right… I thought. Maybe Shining will get over it in time…

But what about the time BEFORE that? How long are we gonna have to put up with his glaring? His constant attitude that we’re looking for the right time to put a knife in his back?

I kicked a pebble bitterly. I don’t care WHAT his justification is; with Discord running amok, you’d think Shining would at least assume that WE want to stop Discord, too! But no, he decides that they’d be better off treating us like dirt… Dirt that’ll dump poison in your coffee…

I was close to the farm, now; I’d almost forgotten to look human. As I changed, I leaned against a tree. I just wish I could get him BACK… Show him that he’s not doing anyone any favors by being such a… dickhead!!

I noticed Rarity walking about near the farmhouse. Mom had told us that she was with…

I perked up.

A grin slowly creeped across my face.

Author's Note:

Just a little filler, in the dull between the main fic's chapters.

"Was that bit on bullying your attempt at social commentary?"
...Maybe? I dunno, what'd you think? Comment. Discuss. *slowly slips into flame war bunker*

(You forgot to tell 'em about the other thing.)
Oh, right. *pops out* So I've got ANOTHER story I'm throwing together that I'm a fair ways into; I've discussed it on these two blogs. Because I'm a coward, however, I'd rather find out what y'all think of it. Message me if you wanna take a peek.

Also, I'm interested in getting some custom cover art for this AND that story. If you can draw, or have a friend who can draw, or have a friend who knows a guy who can draw, or have a friend who knows a guy with a third cousin who can draw... *hours later* ...send me a message and we'll work something out.

COMMENT! FEEDBACK! YOU KNOW THE DRILL!! *slips into bunker, hatch closes with a loud boom*

...*hatch opens a crack* Oh, and, this time I probably WON'T have another chapter till the next one in the main fic. Byyyeee... *hatch shuts*