• Published 8th Sep 2013
  • 21,010 Views, 1,607 Comments

Lazarus: The Rise of Man - Immortan Joe



When the Cataclysm struck, Earth was plunged into an eternal darkness and Mankind was assumed to be extinct, left in the forgotten books of history. But what if they never truly died out? What if they're asleep? And what if they woke up?

  • ...
158
 1,607
 21,010

Chapter 7: Touchdown

It was around two o’clock in the morning when a massive meteorite flew over the slumbering town of Saddleston. The once quiet night was quickly thrown into mayhem as the local populous sprung into panic. Pieces of debris detached from the massive object and fell upon the edges of town. The metallic detritus crashed into trees and farms, ruining the town's crops and outer dwellings. The damage caused by the force of the smaller objects' collisions knocked over lamps and candles that in turn created towering fires that engulfed homes. Townsfolk ran amok while the sheriff and his deputies attempted to maintain order, demanding for stallions to get to the wells to gather water and put out the fires around town.

As the burning object sped over the town it never smashed into the ground. There was no collision, no explosion, nothing, it had stopped moving. Just above the panic filled town, the meteorite had stopped falling, the massive flames that had once enveloped it like a warm blanket dissipating into the air. In its place hovered a long metal vessel. The object resembled a whale, the head starting off wide and fat, but as it drew closer to the center it began to taper in, it then broke apart into two separate sections that weren't connected. These sections led to massive vents that held a blue hue to them, while the entire object cast out a dim light, allowing those in the distance to see it clearly. The belly of the beast generated a noise louder than anything the townsfolk had ever heard. On its stomach were these humongous fans that roared louder than thunder, the blades spun so fast that one would be hard pressed to make out a single blade.

Despite how big they were, each of these parts created a loud humming noise that made every citizen in Saddleston stop what they were doing and gaze upwards in awe. They saw lights shining from upon the skin the beast: red, white, and green. Mouths fell open when the flying monstrosity began to move, tilting forward and slowly drifting across the sky.

Even the ponies that were previously busy fighting the fire dropped their buckets and watched as this vessel moved towards Mount Neighson. But looking closely, the ponies of Saddleston noticed something; the object was losing altitude, and quickly too. It hadn’t stopped falling at all, instead it was only slowing itself. the fans were slowing the vessel down and keeping it from crashing into the town.

A fire erupted out of two of the spinning machines, which were then followed up with a multitude of explosions and a squealing whine as it slowly came to a halt. All townsfolk present jolted and yelped as they were brought back to reality. The metal being looked to be in bad shape. The once bluish metal was charred and the ponies could see holes in parts of its sides. It began to lose altitude even faster than it previously had been due to the halted blade. Before anyone could see the aftermath though, the vessel disappeared behind the mountain.

A small tremor shook the town.

:[-]:

It had been two hours since Princess Luna and her platoon of bat-pony guards left Canterlot to chase after the meteorite. The moon was setting just over one of the western mountains as Her Highness and her troops neared the town of Saddleston. They landed just on the outskirts upon first sight of the damage that had been caused, already the residents had doused the roaring flames that consumed the outer farms and houses. The families that had lived in those homes now sat outside, weeping while their kin dug through the wreckage, trying to retrieve any valuables that had not been destroyed.

“What a painful sight to behold,” Luna mumbled lightly under her breath. While they walked, she watched a small family of three searching amongst the rubble of what had once been their home. The mother and father dug at a hurried pace with their small filly sobbing on the sidelines.

“Is something wrong, Princess?” One of her guards asked.

Luna glanced over, feeling a pang of sadness as the filly continued to weep. “You stallions keep on moving into the town, help anypony that is in need.”

“What about the unidentified object?” The guard asked with a raised eyebrow.

“These ponies are in need of our help, and it is our duty to help those who are in need of assistance.” Luna replied as she turned away and broke off from the ranks.

“Princes Luna, where are you going?”

“I have my own matters to attend to.”

Stopping short behind the crying filly, Luna got to her knees and wrapped a wing around the foal. “Do not cry, little one,” Luna said to the pony, causing her to jolt in surprise at the unexpected statement.

The filly looked up at the night princess and gasped in disbelief. “Pri- Princess Luna?” She said in between hiccups.

“Yes child, it is me, I’ve come here to help those who are in need of assistance.” Luna smiled. “Now tell me, what is making you weep?”

The filly sniffed and looked over at the wreckage. “I lost my friend Lily.”

Luna’s heart instantly sank into the dirt, but she remained regal and kept a straight face. “She kept me safe at night from the monster out in the forest,” The filly continued, “and whenever it comes near our home I’d hold her to my chest and sing the song my mommy taught me.”

Releasing a nervously quiet sigh, Luna could take comfort in the fact that the filly wasn’t talking about another pony, but instead a toy. However, that didn’t stop her from wondering what the filly was talking about. “I dunno what we’re going to do,” the filly went on, “without Lily the monster is going to come tonight, and it’s going to take me and my parents away...” The filly began to sob again.

“Now, now, my little filly, there is no need to worry. I’ll help you find your Lily.” Luna assured her as she tightened her wing around the filly and held her in a warm hug. After a few moments Luna unfolded her wing from around the filly and stood up. “Where was the last place you had seen your Lily?”

“She was with me and my dad back in the forest by Ripples Stream just before the giant flying thing came... I would go back and get her but I’m afraid the monster will get me.” The filly whined, sinking down onto her belly, lowering her head into the grass in fear.

“If I go with you to search for Lily, would you still be scared?” Luna asked.

The filly had to think about this for a moment before shaking her head no. Luna smiled and got back onto her knees. “Climb onto my back and show me where to go little one.”

The filly once again looked back towards the wreckage where her parents worked without end. “What about my parents?”

Luna followed her gaze towards the two digging ponies, she smiled. “I’ll notify them before we go.”

:[-]:

Under the thick leaves of the trees the forest was nearly pitch black, nopony could see more than five hoof steps from where they stood. Luna and a pair of her guards, along with the filly, whose name she learned to be Violet, cautiously traversed along the forest floor. The only sources of light that they had was a lantern carried by one of the guards, and the glow from Luna’s lit horn.

“How far are we from your Lily?” Luna asked in a whisper.

“We’re close, I can hear the stream...” Violet whimpered at the end of her answer. She was never fond of the forest. Even with most of the wildlife being friendly towards the residents of Saddleston, she still couldn’t get over her fear of being alone in the forest. Especially after dark.

“Princess, I think I can see a clearing up ahead,” One of her bat pony guards said as he quickened his pace.

Stepping out into the bright moonlit clearing, Luna could see a pretty sparkling stream that trickled down from the mountain and along the rocks. “Oh my, this place is gorgeous,” she said under her breath. Her eyes lingered over the glistening stones and she gazed up at the lone pink flowering tree that was overhanging a part of the pond. Petals blew off the tree and drifted through the wind until they settled on the softly flowing stream.

“There she is!” Violet squealed with a sudden joy that nearly made Luna jump out of her coat. Violet leapt off Luna’s back and onto the smooth stones below, then scampered off towards a large rock at the edge of the stream. At its base Luna could just make out the outline of a small toy. Violet quickly snatched it up off the ground and held it closely to her chest. Luna couldn’t hear her but she could see Violet’s lips moving as she spoke to the toy.

When Violet finally pulled the toy away from her chest, she looked over her shoulder and beamed at the princess. She then hopped back onto her hooves and ran to her, only to wrap her forelegs around Luna’s leg. “Thank you princess!” She beamed.

Luna giggled. “I’m glad I could be of assistance to you Violet. Now come on, hop on my back and I’ll take you back home–” Luna immediately regretted her choice of words. How could she be so inconsiderate?

Violet cringed, her lips cascading down into a frown at the memory of her home being burnt to a crisp.. “Forgive me, Violet,” Luna quickly apologized, “That was not right of me to say.” Luna levitated the filly off the ground and gently onto her back.

“I-it’s alright, as long as Lily isn’t angry.” The filly mumbled quietly, her head hung low as she curled up into a small ball between Luna’s wings. “You aren’t angry, right Lily?”

Luna felt terrible that she had slipped up, taking a deep breath she took a step forward. Only to stop at the snap of nearby twig. “Your highness, we have movement!” One of the guards shouted, quickly unsheathing his sword while the second guard shined his lantern light onto the bushes on the other side of the stream.

The ponies fell silent, nothing could be heard save for the gentle sound of water splashing against the rocks. Luna eyed the bushes on the other side closely, but she couldn’t see a thing. The only light she had was her moon’s rays and her horn, due to the thickness of the trees lantern’s light did little but illuminate more than three hoof lengths ahead. “It may have just been a critter,” said the lantern guard, “maybe just a wee little rabbit.” He chuckled.

“Then how about you go over and have look then, Shade?” The other mumbled past the sword in his mouth.

“That will not be necessary Greaves,” Luna said. “Let us drop the little one off first, and then we shall carry on with my sister’s orders.”

The two bat ponies looked at Luna and nodded their heads. They turned their backs to where the sound was previously heard and began heading back to the town. Violet, however, kept her eyes focused on the area where the twig had been snapped, and as they began to enter the tree line, an unrecognizable sound erupted out from behind bushes on the other side of the stream.

The sound blasted their ear drums, it sounded like rain pounding relentlessly against cobblestone. All members of the party, especially the filly, cried out in fear and quickly whirled around to see what it was. Just as Luna’s gaze landed on the bushes, the sound ended as quickly as it began and was followed up with a “bleep” that also fell into the silence. Again, Luna couldn’t see a thing in the darkness, but her heart was racing. She had never heard anything like that before. Was this the monster that Violet had been talking about?

“Alright,” Shade snarled as he draped the lantern over one of his wings and unsheathed his sword. “I’ve had enough of this.” He began to approach the opposite tree line. “Show yourself!”

“Shade,” Luna said her voice filled with trepidation.

“Don’t worry princess.” He reassured her, glancing back. “I got this–”

“Shadewood, you stop this right now, I’m ordering you!”

Shadewood stopped in his tracks in the middle of the stream, confused at the sudden fright in Her majesty’s voice. Taking his eyes off of her, his head slowly began to turn back towards the tree line, his eyes blinded for a moment by a small red light coming out of the overgrowth. As a matter of fact, there were multiple red lights peering through the leaves, all of the them trained on him. Peering down at his chest, he noticed a red dot marked on his right foreleg, two others on his chest, one on his sword and the last in between his eyes.

Another bleep came from behind the bushes followed up by the sound of something quietly grumbling. Luna was scared now. “Shadewood, I want you to back up very slowly. Whatever it is that is in there, it’s very territorial!”

Shade didn’t say a word, instead he nodded his head quickly and began to back up. Slowly, Shade inched his way back towards the princess. While doing so he sheathed his sword, never taking his eyes off the bushes. Doing this seemed to ease the tension between him and whatever was behind the leaves, as Shade began to notice the red dots disappearing from his body.

Luna heard a bleep and some more grumbling. Once Shadewood was back by her side, silence once again encased them. Suddenly another indescribable sound exploded out of the bushes causing the ponies to flinch. They could hear something or somethings snarling and moving about behind the tree line, whatever it was. It was coming out to greet to them.

:[-]:

William, for some unknown reason, was sitting down in a backyard with his back snug up against a lawn chair and his vision obscured by the sun’s warm rays. Raising a hand up, he shielded his eyes from the crisp clear sky. Realizing his left hand was cold and wet, he moved his gaze to his hand and noticed he was holding a glass of ice tea with a straw and a lime wedge.

William was now officially confused. Laughter came from his right and he jolted in his seat, nearly spilling his drink. That was no ordinary laughter. No. It was a child’s laugh, but not just one. looking up from his drink, William saw a small group of three children hopping on a trampoline. How did he not hear them before? William’s eyes remained locked on the children, not even the slightest of sounds made him take his attention off of them. The sight alone of three playing kids, happy and smiling nearly brought the lone scruff soldier to tears.

William hadn’t seen a child in how long? Eight years? And that wasn’t counting his time aboard the ship. At the beginning of the war children were the first to go next to the unhealthy. Their small, weak, and frail bodies weren’t able to fight the virus or even the infected individuals. Only families that were able to flee from the major cities or defend themselves till they reached the shelters were able to save their kids.

His eyes remained on the children until he felt someone’s arms wrapping around his chest, startling him back to reality.

William jolted in his seat, nearly spilling his drink again. “Easy there, soldier.” He heard the familiar voice of a woman laugh.

William glanced over his shoulder and came face to face with a woman staring down at him. The woman was smiling at him, her bright ocean green eyes locked with his, her white teeth nearly forced him to squint, and her smooth brown bangs tickled his nose. She held a hand to her mouth and giggled. “Sorry dear,” She said, stepping back.

William hadn’t said a word, he hadn’t even taken his eyes off her. His eyebrows were raised and his mouth was agape. He knew this woman... yet he didn’t. He recalled the voice but he couldn’t recall the name. It had been so long. He swore he knew who this was, but why couldn’t he recall her name? Even her features seemed a bit off to him, did he know someone with ocean green eyes and brown hair?

“I-is something wrong, Will?” The woman asked him, holding a worried face. “You seem a bit pale, do you need to go lay down?”

William shook his head and glanced around the open yard. “N-no, I-I was just... thinking a-about the war. That’s all.” Why was he stuttering? William never had social problems around women before, except for when he first... first met his wife.

It struck him. The revelation struck him hard like a runaway train. He couldn’t have, yet he did. How could he have forgotten what his own wife’s name and appearance was? It’d been so long, so tragically long, that he didn’t even have a picture of her to keep his memory fresh. The collapse had taken such a long toll on William that he didn’t even know that part of his payment was his family.

“Laura?” William nearly croaked.

“William?” Laura took a step back when William dropped his drink and stood up slowly. “What are you talking about?”

Fresh tears slowly began to trickle down William’s cheeks as he held a hand out to reach for his wife. Laura hesitantly grabbed his hand. “Laura, baby...” William choked. “I’m so sorry...” William pulled his confused spouse into a tight hug. “I’m so, so sorry...”

Laura slowly wrapped her arms around William who sobbed like a child. “What happened, William, what war?”

William paid no heed to her questions, instead he continued to cry apologies into her shoulder. Finally Laura moved her arms from him and planted both hands on his chest and gently pushed him away. William cried. “Baby please don’t–”

“William you need to––shh-no, no––you listen here mister.” Laura spoke to William like he was child. She placed her hands on his shoulders. “Whatever happened, it’s not your fault.”

But it was.

“You hear me? It’s not your fault.”

Yet it was, it was his fault, and it would be forever. He lied. He told them that he was coming back for them, that he would never let anything happen to them. Forever engraved into his heart was the fact that William James Keshiner lied to his own family and had paid the ultimate price. To this day he could still hear the rushing water.

William couldn’t look his own dead wife in the eyes. Breaking contact, his vision fell to the grass. “No...” He mumbled slightly under his breath, but just enough for Laura to catch wind.

“Excuse me?” She asked, her voice slightly stern.

William had stopped crying, his voice low and mixed with anger. It was anger that was not directed towards his wife but instead himself, an anger that had driven him into battle so many times, not because he was brave but because he wanted to die. It was an anger that had driven him to make stupid decisions in a hope that he would receive his rightful punishment for sacrificing his own family’s life.

“It is my fault.” His voice was raspy and cold. Laura watched him with fearful eyes.

“Moooommy!” A cry shattered the silence like a hammer through glass.

William’s eyes snapped over to the sound of the wailing child on the trampoline, her hands firmly grasping her right foot. “Abigail!” Laura shouted. Before running off she shot William a glance. “We’ll talk later, for now I need you to go grab the buns out of the kitchen cupboard.”

“Mooommy!” Abigail cried again.

“Don’t worry sweetie I’m coming!” Laura gently pushed past William and jogged over to their child, the same child that William had paid the price of forgetting, the same child he had lied to, the same kid he left to the rushing water...–––

BOOM!

:[-]:

A large earth trembling rumble nearly shook William out of his slumber. Opening his eyes, he found himself oddly restrained to his bed. Tilting his stiff neck upwards he saw that his hands, legs, and parts of his chest were being held by leather bindings. “What the Hell?” William struggled under his restraints. “The fuck happened while I was out?!”

The door to the medical bay slid open and through the open entrance William could hear cheers of joy coming all throughout the ship. A doctor entered the room with a large smile plastered across his wrinkled face. “Ah, Commander William! I’m glad to see you’re awake.” the doctor spoke with an old, raspy voice, his words coming out slowly as he stepped towards William.

“Why the Hell am I tied to this bed, doc?” William continued to struggle. The doctor smiled, revealing the few teeth he had remaining.

“Now Commander,” he spoke as he began to undo the clasps around William’s wrists. “We wouldn’t want you to be splayed all over the medical bay’s wall during reentry.” The man chuckled creepily as he freed Will’s hands and moved down to work on his legs.

William rubbed his wrists and got to work on freeing his chest but then he stopped. “Wait... we’re on Earth?”

“Mhmm.” The doctor hummed. “Right in the thick of a forest to be exact, that panic riddled pilot... Ronald I think, almost threw us into the side of a mountain.”

“Why would he do that?” William returned to working on his chest.

“The ship was literally being torn apart and the navigation system stopped working in the middle of it all. It was all up to him and that pretty girl Susan to fly us to safety. Tis' hard to land a starship by eyeballing it.” The doctor freed William’s right leg and began undoing the straps on his left.

“I was asleep during all of that?”

“Like a stone on a river bed. I ain't ever seen a lad like yourself sleep during such shenanigans.” The doctor chuckled again and pulled William’s other leg out. He looked up and smiled when he noticed William struggling with his chest strap. “Let me take a look at that, son,” he said as he swiftly undid the strap as if it was nothing. “You’re free to go, Commander.”

William sat up and slung his legs over the side of the bed, making sure not to hit the doctor while he did so. “Thanks, doc.”

“You’re welcome— oh–” The doctor turned away and walked over to the closet on the far side of the room. Opening it, he took out a small, blue respirator. On his way back, he gave the respirator to William. “–I was told to give you this.”

William examined it with a confused look on his face. “Why do I need this?”

“If you hadn’t noticed, we had a rough landing, and with most of the heat shields burned away. The northern half of deck six was breached, but thankfully no one was down there to get hurt. And after examining your friend, Shaun Bell, we were able to conclude that there is indeed something in our atmosphere. Not sure what though” The old man explained. “So if you ever have any plans on deck six, make sure you put that on before entering.”

“Do you know how long it’ll be before they patch it up?” William hopped off the bed and twisted his back around, groaning as his back let off three loud pops.

“We won’t need to.” The doctor stepped back, allowing William to walk past him and out into the large open space between the two sets of beds on either side of the room. “Starting today, Commander, after you and the scouting parties return, we’ll begin Horizon’s deconstruction and settlement process.”

“Oh, I forgot about that.” William popped his knuckles and gave the doctor a quick wave. “Thanks again for watching over me doc, take care.”

“You too, Commander.”

:[-]:

Men and women—the soldiers of the Horizon crew—all sat side by side in the briefing room chatting away with each other. Some cracked jokes and others seemed to be nervous wrecks. All in all the sound they generated drove William mad.

Sitting with his own squad—which he told them that if they spoke more than a single word over a house-toned voice he would see to it that they didn’t get dinner—William just did not like crowds, which was odd seeing that he could run across a raging battlefield just fine.

It may have just been his age, but he didn’t like to think about it that way. It just irritated him when he looked over at the other hundred and twenty five soldiers on board and saw people he considered to be professionals make fools of themselves. He tried telling himself that they were just happy to be back home safe and sound, but there was still no need to act like rambunctious high schoolers.

There was a stage in the front; a few rows up from William and his squad. It was currently empty, save for a podium with a single chair placed beside it. From the far right of the stage walked Admiral Watson who was soon followed by a beautiful looking woman he had never seen before. Watson took a seat while the woman took to the podium. The room fell silent and William took a sigh of relief. He found he was much more calm when everyone was acting like proper adults. Grabbing a hold of the mic sitting on the podium, the woman adjusted it until she appeared satisfied and cleared her throat before speaking.

“Hello. For those of you who don’t know me, I’m First Chairperson Nicola Patterson.” She took a deep breath and brushed her blonde bangs out from in front of her eyes. “For nearly twelve thousand years, humanity has been on the run from a terror that can only be described as one of our darkest fears. For nearly twelve thousand years, mankind has only traversed half of the solar system in an attempt to escape from this harbinger of death. Starting today, I believe that we, as a whole, have achieved that goal, and that we are no longer under threat from the Archangel.” Nicola smiled. “Starting today, ladies and gentlemen, I think it’s safe to say that humanity can settle down and start again. We can wake the others that may still be asleep, and rebuild what we’ve lost!”

"Hallelujah!" A random soldier in the back shouted with laughter thrown into the mix.

“Amen!” Shouted another that William could only assume was the other’s friend.

Both men were rewarded with a wave of contagious laughter that spread like wildfire through the rows. Even the Admiral himself smirked before rising up and telling everyone to settle down. The chairwoman snickered. “Thank you for that, gentlemen.” The two boys in the back chuckled and playfully shoved each other. “Now before I turn this over to Admiral Watson, I just wanted to thank our Captain, Theodore Felington.” Nicola outstretched her arm towards the three individuals standing in the front row, “and his two amazing pilots for landing us safely back on Earth. Even with the catastrophic failures. Please give them a round of applause.”

The Captain and the two pilots bowed before the band of soldiers while receiving their praise before turning and sitting back down. “Now, ladies and gentlemen, I’d like to turn your attention to the Admiral,” Nicola said, stepping back and allowing Watson to take the podium.

Watson looked towards a man on the right side of the stage sitting in a chair with a laptop computer connected to the large screen on the wall. Both of them nodded to each other and the man clicked a few keys on his keyboard, bringing the screen above to life and revealing a large blue hued map with a black background that showed off Horizon’s surrounding area. In the center was a large cyan oval indicating the starship with dozens, if not hundreds of red dots showing off the local wildlife around it.

The lights dimmed, allowing an easier view of the screen and Watson looked at the soldiers, his face seemingly expressionless. A minute passed. “Good morning,” he finally said. Watson stepped back, twirling a remote in his right hand. “At exactly oh four hundred during touchdown, drone sixty six detected a vast mobilization in what we are concluding to be the native forces. We think they’re coming to investigate on what the hell just happened, also known as ‘Us.’”

A hand shot up. “Yes, Conway?”

“How do we know for a fact that they’re native soldiers?”

Watson glanced back at the man at the laptop, the man nodded and began pounding away on the keys. The screen above transitioned into a thermal satellite image that showed off a large number of equines with bat like features, all of which appeared to be carrying weapons. Getting a closer look at the small amount of details the thermal imagery gave, the soldiers could still see traces of equine like features.

“What in sam hell are those?” Junior Lieutenant Michael Sterling leaned forward in his seat, turning his head to look at William, who was sharing a similar expression.

“I have no clue,” William said, “these ones look a lot different compared to the others Nelson showed me.”

Michael frowned. “You mean there’s more?”

It was William’s turn to frown. “Haven’t you seen any of the images Caroline took?”

Michael shook his head. “I’ve only seen pictures of the towns, not anything relating to... well, those.” He motioned his head towards the monitor.

“Does that answer your question, Sergeant?” Watson raised an eyebrow.

“Yes sir, thank you.”

Watson nodded, “Alright, moving on. As a precautionary measure we’ll be forming a defensive perimeter around the ship. After this presentation, you will all be assigned to your patrol groups and sent out to secure the perimeter. In the mean time, the game plan is to set up motion trackers at locations Alpha-One through Bravo-five,” he pointed out each of the markers with a laser pointer.

“The teams that will do this are designated Paris, York and Baghdad. Three other teams, Red, Blue and Green, will be on patrol in our AO just outside these trackers. Afterwards, Paris and York will join together and see if they can locate one of the Japanese cold storage facilities that they left for us. With any luck they’ll still be there, but it will be very, very cold. So make sure you dress warm and wear your mittens if you don’t want to freeze your collective asses off.

“As for Baghdad, they’ll be investigating a nearby settlement we detected during reentry. Why those systems were still online I have no idea, but we’re using whatever intel we got. I also want Commander Keshiner to lead this expedition, as he has the most experience with these natives, save for those who went with him last time.” The screen went dark and the lights brightened again. “Any questions?” Watson raised an eyebrow and looked at the soldiers, all of them nodding and smiling. He waited for a minute before smiling back. “Then it’s settled, we’re moving out in five hundred.”

:[-]:

“How many are there?” Michael crawled through the dense vegetation and positioned his stomach on the large boulder beside William, who was keeping an eye on the town with his night vision goggles.

“I dunno. Over a hundred, I know that for sure,” William replied, his voice muffled by his respirator. “Maybe even three hundred... God I’ve never thought I’d see anything like this.”

Michael chuckled and rolled onto his back, making sure to keep an eye on their rear in case anything were to sneak up on them through the dense overgrowth. It turned out Horizon was off course from their original landing point and had landed thirty miles north of where they were supposed to. Instead of landing in what was supposed to be an open clearing, the star ship ended up crash landing in the middle of heavily forested area at the base of a mountain.

“Right,” Michael agreed, his mind drifting off into distant memories. “Feels like we’re in the Planet of the Apes movie, except with horses.”

William smiled. “Damn right we are.” William pushed his goggles back up onto his helmet to let his eyes rest for a second. The world around him was nearly pitch black as he waited for his eyes to adjust after having looked through the night vision goggles so long

It was then that William’s radio crackled to life. “Commander, Second Lieutenant Stacy here, we’re in position and waiting for your orders. Over.”

“Roger that, Lieutenant,” William answered while lowering the volume on his radio. “Remain in position and keep your eyes on the settlement and alert me if anything happens. Over.”

“Wilco, over.”

Michael groaned quietly, William cocked his head back and looked at the man with a raised eyebrow. “Is something wrong?”

“Eh nothing, just didn’t have the time to take a leak before leaving.” Michael mumbled as he positioned himself in a more comfortable spot.

“Oh God...” William shook his head and rolled his eyes. “Try to keep it down. We don’t want any unwanted attention.”

“My apologies sir, I shouldn’t have drank that extra glass of wa–”

“Seriously, shut up.” William couldn’t help but let out a frustrated sigh. He flipped his night vision goggles back over his eyes and returned to lazily observing the small town. Nothing much was happening right now. Equines roamed left and right carrying large buckets of water to put out the remainder of a large fire. A fire possibly caused by Horizon’s reentry. “I really hope they believe that this was all some weird accident.”

“Sorry, what?” Michael glanced over his shoulder.

“Nothing,” William replied. “Just talking to myself.”

“Oh, well keep it down.” Michael mocked like a child, he chuckled. “We don’t want any unwanted attention.”

“Excuse me?” William flung his goggles back up and looked at the lieutenant.

Michael laughed quietly. William couldn’t keep a straight face either, shaking his head he returned to peering through his goggles. Moments passed and Michael rolled onto his stomach and gazed at the bustling activity. “How?” He wondered, “How could something like horses have the capability to do something like this?”

“What the hell are you going on about now?” William kept his eyes on the town he was hardly listening to him.

“Just think about it for a minute Commander.”

“Think about what? You need to tell me these things?” William felt like he was bickering with a sibling.

“The town, the horses, how are they not prey, how were they able to get to the top of the food chain, and build these towns and castles?” Michael listed off, “They don’t even have opposable thumbs for Christ’s sake.”

As if on cue William noticed a bucket of water, levitating in front of a equine that was heading towards a burnt down home. William’s jaw nearly cracked against the base of his respirator. Noticing he wasn’t going to receive a response Michael went to hop off the rock they were laying on to stretch his legs for a brief moment.

William blinked a few times. "Michael, did you see that?"

“See what?” Michael hopped into the bushes.

“That bucket it was–where are you going?” William had pushed his goggles back up and was now staring at the lieutenant.

“Oh nowhere,” Michael said, “I was just looking to stretch my legs a bit; they get stiff, you know after sitting around for thirty minutes.”

William rolled his eyes and waved for him to get back in position. “Take a look at this.”

When William turned away Michael shrugged and hopped back onto the rock, pulling his own goggles down he sat beside William and looked out at the town. “What am I supposed to be looking at?”

“Shortly to our left, roughly a hundred and fifty meters east, target is heading north.”

Following his commanders directions Michael cocked an eyebrow when his eyes locked onto the pony levitating the bucket. “How the hell...?”

“I think this just answered your question,” William said. “It appears they have some sort of levitation ability.”

“Damn, man.” Michael continued to watch the equine as it slowly faded out of range of the night vision goggles. “Why the hell can't we do that?”

“Maybe cause evolution was kind and gave us hands,” William stated.

William’s radio spat a wave of static very briefly. “Commander, this is Stacy,” her voice finally road through clearly, “we’ve spotted movement on the southern end of town. Over.”

Will took the radio off his vest and held it near his mouth. “Roger that, what do you see?”

“A skinny equine that’s a lot taller than the others I’ll say that for sure, and whatever it is it’s being followed by a pair of soldiers. They’re heading straight for us, should we pull back? Over.”

William thought for a moment. “Affirmative, rendezvous with the rest of us back at the stream. Over.”

“We’re Oscar Mike. Over.”

Michael once again hopped off the rock. “Wait, so we’re changing positions just like that?”

“Yep,” William said, following Mike’s movements off the rock, the two of them moving deeper into the tree line.

“So what now then?” Michael huffed as he quickly ducked under a low hanging branch.

William copied his movements. “I’ll contact Central and tell them what’s going on. Once we reach the stream we’ll form up with a perimeter and wait for further orders.”

“Seems legit.” Michael slid down a small ledge and shoved his way through a wall of bushes with William following right behind him.

William quickly changed the frequency on his radio to the command channel. “Central, this is Commander William. Over.”

“I read you, Commander. Over.”

“My squad and I are pulling back to the perimeter, local forces are beginning to close in on our OP. Over.” William could see the moonlight wafting through the thick branches ahead of him.

“Copy that, Commander, you’re clear to pull back.”

Even though Central wasn’t there to see him, William nodded his head and clipped the radio back onto his TAC-vest. Breaking through the clearing the two men stopped right on the rocky edge of the stream.

“Phew!” Michael chuckled, he took a deep breath. “I hadn’t had a good run like that since.... boot camp!”

William looked around the stream, trying to find Stacey and the rest of her squad. With none of them in sight William felt a pang of anxiousness, afraid that the other squad had gotten caught. Then again it didn’t pay to be a worrywart in his line of work. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly to calm his nerves.

SNAP!

“Oh shit”

Whirling around, William and Michael flung their rifles out in front of them, loaded and ready to fire if need be. Thankfully though, there wasn’t any need for pulling the trigger, lowering their weapons at the sight of a friendly hand held in the air. Stacey and her two comrades Castillo and Roger, Shaun’s temporary replacement, stepped out of the tree line.

“Sorry to startle you, Commander.” The woman smiled as she brought her hand back down to her side. “I was going to call out to you, but Castillo here tripped over a branch and scared the hell out of me.” Stacey stuck her gloved hand out in front of herself and William took it in a friendly shake. “Nice to see you again, sir.”

“Same with you.” William broke the shake. “Anything else on natives?”

“Not much, the larger one of the group I’m assuming is a leader of sorts, judging by the attire and the two guards following it. Oh, and the natives are also to be designated “equines” until further notice seeing that we have no better word to call them” Stacey explained.

“Commander,” Michael said as he looked out into the tree line with his night vision goggles, “I’ve spotted movement closing in on us, I suggest we find some cover.”

William nodded. “Alright, everyone in the trees. Keep your eyes open for any movement!” Crossing the stream the soldiers proceeded to hide themselves deep within the vegetation a few yards from the riverbank. Each person spaced themselves out a few feet from each other so that they could cover more ground. William positioned himself by a log that gave him a clear view of the stream, while Stacey took up position in front of a tree a little further down the riverbank. “Were they carrying any weapons?” William continued his previous conversation.

"Only the two guards,” Stacey said. Her back was firmly planted up against the tree, her goggles draped over her face, and her head faced out towards the stream. “The leader though looked to be carrying something on its back, I couldn’t get a good enough look to see exactly what though.

William nodded his head. “Princess, I can see a clearing up ahead!”

He cocked an eyebrow, what the hell? William thought.

William put on his goggles and looked out at the stream, on the other side through the thin gaps in the trees. William could see three figures approaching. Two small equines entered the clearing, followed by a much taller, blue slender one.

“There she is!”

William jolted at the sound of something squealing in what sounded like joy. Watching closely he saw something about the size of a house-cat hop off the back of the taller creature. William followed the smaller animal as it scampered across the ground towards a large boulder. The creature that was now identifiable as a tiny equine bent over and grasped an object even smaller than itself with its teeth.

“What do you have there?” William mumbled under his breath as he zoomed in on the creature.

The little one sat back on its haunches and cuddled what looked to be a small ragdoll. Its lips were moving as if it was speaking to the toy. An odd thought came to William and he chuckled quietly to himself. “I don’t know if the little thing creeps me out or melts my heart.

The equine pulled the doll close to its chest and held it there for a few moments in some sort of awkward horse hug. It then took the toy off its chest and turned its head so that it was looking back at the tall equine. Suddenly the creature jumped to its feet and ran as fast as it could towards the larger equine whilst squealing.

The little equine wrapped its hooves around the larger one, the dark blue equine eying the pony with a surprised look. Shortly after, it chuckled and began to speak, so William thought. Then it cringed for some reason, the little one’s face fell, its eyes slowly beginning to water. The larger equine looked to the smaller with a sorrowful expression, it had gone onto its knees to allow the little one passage onto its back.

Snap!

“Your highness we have movement!”

One of the guards turned towards the bushes and shouted, his sword unsheathing, William had no idea what it said but quickly ducked down using the log to avoid detection as a light shined nearby. Looking around William saw a small badger scurry through the trees not too far from him. Looking at Stacy who was looking at him with wide eyes, William brought a finger to his mask warning her to remain silent.

“It may have just been a critter.” William could hear the guard speaking, a light shined over head, just inches above his head. He held his breath. “Maybe just a wee little rabbit.” William heard the guard chuckle.

When the light vanished William peeked over the log. “How about you go have a look then, Shade?” The guard on the left muffled unintelligibly into the sword's hilt.

“That will not be necessary Greaves.” The larger said out loud to the two guards, the two glanced over their shoulders. William glanced at Stacey, her eyes were focused onto the two equines, her gun ready if need be. William’s eyes were drawn back to the guards, their eyes stern as they began to turn away from the bushes while heading back across the stream.

William released a quiet breath, relief washing over him.

“Central, this is Paris.” William’s radio came to life, his eyes widened in sheer horror as all four equines cried out and turned back towards them, he quickly ducked his head back behind the log. “We’ve just placed the last of the motion trackers and are now awaiting further orders. Over.”

“Copy that, Paris hold your position and–” William switched the radio off and remained silent, his heart pounding in his chest, all of his squad mates' eyes were on him. Even though they couldn’t see it, he smiled sheepishly and mouthed the word, “Oops.”

“Alright.” Will heard one of the creatures snarl and he heard a sword scraping across its scabbard. “Show yourself!” William looked over the log and saw the equine approaching them, its sword locked firmly in its teeth. Glancing to his left he saw Stacey, training her rifle on the creature along with Michael and the others on his right.

As the equine got closer William raised his rifle, focusing more on the weapon in its mouth then the animal itself. The equine stepped into the stream, only four yards away from William. There was no chance he or any of his squad mates would miss if the situation came down to it. He was tempted to shout to the creature, but before he got the chance the larger equine shouted something at it.

The guard stopped and its eyes eased their way down its front to see the red laser dots that shined out from underneath each of the rifle barrels. The guard’s pupils shrunk in fear and it snapped it’s head back up to look towards William and the other soldiers.

“Stacey, Central here.” From William’s left he could hear Stacey’s radio. Her eyes widened as she scrambled at the power switch to shut it off, cursing under her breath with each movement. “We’re having issues contacting Commander Kes–”

The equine out in the stream seemed to finally notice the danger it was in and started to slowly back away from the bushes at the sound of the taller one’s voice. “I see,” William said to himself in a hushed voice. “They’re afraid of the radio.” He smiled and watched the guard sheath its sword.

William looked at Stacey, his smile growing even wider. She gave him a concerned look and he motioned for her and the others to lower their weapons. Unclipping his radio he switched it back on and unleashed a wave of static into the air followed by bits of garbled chatter that the radio couldn’t quite pick up.

Holding the radio high above his head for all to hear William stepped over the long and began to move out from the cover of the tree line. “Commander?!” Stacey hissed.

“What the hell are you doing?!” He heard Michael asked as the other two men shared confused looks with each other.

“There’s no point in moving back,” William said. “We were told to hold the line–”

“And not to make contact!” Stacey added, “We were told to observe, not make first contact!”

William looked back at her and smiled. “And that’s what I’m going to do, I’m just going to observe.” He was being sarcastic of course.

William stopped moving. Stacey was right, they were only meant to observe. What was he thinking? They didn’t even have a diplomat, or any way to communicate with them. Hesitantly William reached for his radio and switched it back over to the proper frequency. “Commander please what are you—” Stacey began but was immediately cut off.

“Central, this is Commander Keshiner of Baghdad,” William spoke with a hushed voice. “A group of native stragglers just stumbled upon our position. Over.”

“Jesus.” Central’s voice sounded full of relief, but the relief faded as quickly as it came. “I-I read you, Commander, forget the stragglers,” Central said quickly, “we need you and your squad back here immediately. Over.”

William frowned. How come Central sounded so nervous? “Roger that, what for? Over.”

“These are the admiral's orders, Commander.” Central’s voice was stern and repeated, “Forget the stragglers and pull back immediately: we have an infiltration, I repeat: we have an infiltration. We need every man we can get. Over.”

“Shit” William shook his head and clipped his radio back on his vest. “Alright everyone! Pack your shit and retreat back to home base!”

:[-]:

Luna and her guards watched the bushes, their eyes wide with fear at the sudden shout of an unknown creature. Minutes had passed, and an eerie silence had engulfed the scene, but nothing happened. Whatever was coming out had backed off and left. “I-I wanna go back,” Violet whined. The poor filly was literally shaking with fear. Luna knew how the filly felt, if it wasn’t for her royal title Luna would probably be shaking alongside her.

“As you wish, Violet.” Luna nodded her head and looked at her guards. “Greaves, Shadewood, I want you to watch out for any hostile activity on the way back.”

The guards nodded. “Yes ma’m,” Both said in unison.

The trip back to town was much quicker than expected. Neither pony on the way back had noticed anything bizarre. Upon arrival, Luna could already take note of how much the town had improved since their previous departure. With the help of the guards the townsfolk were already clearing out most of the rubble from their homes, and the town’s inn was in the process of taking in the ponies who had recently been made homeless.

“Violet!” Shouted a hopeful pony. “Violet, is that you!?”

The group was stepping out onto the main street when Violet’s ears twitched at the sound of her mother’s voice. “Mom!” The filly squealed with delight at the sight of the oncoming mare. Leaping off of Luna’s back, the little pony ran to her mother’s embrace.

“How’s my little bud doing?” Violet’s mother held her tight. “I was so worried that something happened to you.” She looked to Princess Luna. “Thank you so much for keeping her safe.”

“You’re welcome Mrs. Blossom.” Luna smiled brightly.

“Mom look! We even found Lily!” Violet wiggled her legs out of Blossom’s embrace and held the toy right in her face.

Blossom held her head back and giggled. “I see, where was she?”

“Down in Ripples Stream.” Violet said happily while making Lily dance in the air with her hooves.

“Ripples Stream, eh?” Blossom said. “Your father was just down there not too long ago with some guards.”

“Is he not back yet?” Luna asked, she had just dismissed her two guards.

“No.” Blossom frowned and looked at Luna. “He volunteered for the patrol squad, they were supposed to be back fifteen minutes ago but I haven’t heard back from them.”

Luna’s thoughts instantly shot back to the creatures they heard back in the woods. “This isn’t good,” she mumbled under her breath. “Mrs. Blossom, I want you to stay here with your daughter. I need to investigate something” Luna turned and began heading back the way she came.

A bit of nervousness started to creep into Blossom’s eyes.“What’s wrong Princess?”

“Just do as I say please.” Luna looked back, her brow furrowing. “Now go to the inn and tell everypony to get inside as fast as they can and not to come out until I say so.” Blossom nodded even more nervously now and released Violet. “Come on honey, let’s go tell the others what the princess said”

Luna sighed and looked back to the woods while muttering under her breath. “Please let everypony be alright.”

“Your Majesty!”

Luna’s ears perked up at the sound of the voice. Looking towards the sky, she caught sight of a bat-pony guard before he touched down and galloped to a halt in front of her. Out of breath, the stallion looked at her with bloodshot, puffy eyes.. His armor was battered and torn, his sword was missing and his left cheek was scratched and bleeding. Luna’s heart skipped a beat.

“What... what happened?” Luna was so shocked she could hardly even speak.

The stallion tried to bow but his legs gave way, luckily Luna caught him right before his face smashed into the earth. “We... we were ambushed, the creatures–they had some sort of stun magic... we tried to fight back,” The stallion huffed in an attempt to catch his breath. “but they overwhelmed us. I couldn’t see them. It was as if they were invisible.

“What happened to the others?” Luna asked, her voice growing with anger.

“I-I never seen anything like it, it was like we were trying to fight ghosts–”

“What happened to the others?” Luna snarled.

The Stallion looked at the princess and sniffed. “I don’t know...” He broke eye contact. “Before anything else happened I ran... I ran because I lacked the courage!”

Luna’s eyes softened. “You are not a coward, Lance,” Luna put rather bluntly, “if what you say is true then there was nothing that could’ve been done.” Luna took a deep breath. “Now, rally the rest of the platoon.”

Lance stared Luna with wide eyes. “Your Majesty you can’t be thinking–”

“Yet I am, Lance. Rally the others, I think it’s time we find out what these creatures are.”

Editor’s Notes:

Isaac 3924 - Gah! All this build-up is killing me! And here I thought we were finally going to get some discourse going through the ponies and humans this time.... apparently not. Well, I'm crossing my fingers for next time. I did love this chapter though, so suspenseful! Aside from that, again announcing I'll be at Nan Desu Kan for anyone in Colorado, check "Star Swirl the Bearded's Journal Entry 6-13" for more info on what I said. Tokyo Ghoul is awesome(curse Funimation for the censors). And I would like to deeply apologize for how long I took to edit this, I had a lot of stuff going on, but I know that doesn't excuse the fact, I almost took 24 hours. I'M SORRY........ I really hope I'm not the only one doing Editor's Notes.

Author's Note:

I'm afraid, Isaac, you are the only one doing editors notes.

AND I'M SORRY!

I intended to have this chapter be first contact. But after seeing the word count and getting carried away with some scenes, William's nightmare for instance. I just wrote too much, and already I bet this was slightly overwhelming, any who though.

Something bad happened in this chapter that may or may not effect first contact in some way. Boom tension!

There's not avoiding it now, next chapter is indeed First Contact and the story is just now beginning to kick off.