• Published 8th Sep 2013
  • 21,010 Views, 1,607 Comments

Lazarus: The Rise of Man - Immortan Joe



When the Cataclysm struck, Earth was plunged into an eternal darkness and Mankind was assumed to be extinct, left in the forgotten books of history. But what if they never truly died out? What if they're asleep? And what if they woke up?

  • ...
158
 1,607
 21,010

Chapter 3: Preparation

William placed his ballistics vest on his bed alongside his pads and gas mask. Getting onto one knee, he checked under his bed for his weapon and, reaching under, he grasped onto its hard plastic case. He pulled it out and tossed it onto his bed along with his other supplies. Popping it open, Will found his M4A1 neatly tucked away in its case. He smiled at his old friend, he had had gotten him out of so many hectic situations, that he could probably count every scratch on it and tell the story of how the weapon got it.

William grabbed a hold of the gun and popped it out of the case, getting used to the weapon’s weight. He held it up in a firing position; it had been a good while since he fired a gun. William began considering going down to the shooting range on the lower deck for some possible practice after he got back. A knock on his door snapped him back to reality. “What the…? Come in!” William said.

The door slowly eased its way open and in came an engineer dressed in a brown jump suit. He appeared to be pushing a large cart that flight attendants used to serve snacks to the passengers on a plane. “Sorry if I am interrupting, Commander, but I’m just doing what the Admiral and Dr. Hassel told me to do.”

“And what is that?” William asked.

The engineer pushed the cart into the center of the room. “I was told to give everyone who is going on the mission one of these tyvek suits.” He grabbed hold of one of the many light grey suits and handed it over to William. “Don’t worry if it fits or not, everyone on the ship has at least two specifically made for them. If this doesn’t fit, we’ll look for your other one.”

“Seems kind of pointless, don’t you think?” William said raising an eyebrow at the man. Regardless, he took the suit.

The man shrugged. “Hassel said that the planet could still be covered with radiation. Or something like that. I didn’t care enough to listen. I just work here… Sir,” he quickly added.

“Maybe you should start listening, boy,” William tossed the suit onto his bed, “Anything else?”

The engineer nodded. “Actually, there is,” he moved the grayish suits, only to reveal a stack of plastic crates that had been concealed underneath. “I was also told to give all of you one of these.”

The boy placed a crate on the ground and popped it open, revealing a pristine Russian AK. “What the hell do I need this for?” William exclaimed, pointing towards his M4, “I already have a gun.”

“Sir, permission to speak candidly.”

Reluctantly, William granted it. The engineer gazed down at William’s carbine, then back up to him with an unenthusiastic look. “Well, first off, Commander, I built weapons for living, and this AK here." The engineer patted the case. "Is a beautiful maiden compared that M4 lying on your bed." He snickered. "Besides, it’s not like we’re going to be fighting in any urban centers anytime soon.”

William jabbed his thumb back at the weapon laying on his bed. “Boy, I’ve been to hell and back with that weapon. You wanna know how many Sleepers I put in the dirt with that gun?”

“I thought they all died of lead poisoning, sir. But again; I. Just. Work. Here. So if you would please just take the weapon; I’ve got a strike team to insure the survival of.”

William sighed dismissively as he bent over to retrieve the box. “Fuck it, fine I’ll take the damn weapon. And I am choosing to ignore that insult to my manhood.”

“Thank you, sir. Now have a nice day,” the engineer sarcastically remarked as he got up and pushed his cart out. Only to stop at the door for a second. "One more thing, Commander. Just give it time, you'll come to love that weapon far more than your pea shooter, shit even my little boy could fire one of them AKs without a hitch."

William lifted the weapon box up off the ground, and placed it alongside his M4, which he then neatly packed back into its case. He placed his old weapon back under his bed. Rising up, he opened the AK's case. The light in the room shined off the weapon’s waxed surface. William couldn’t deny it, it was a rather nice weapon. He reached into the case and popped it out. It was heavier than his M4, that was for sure, but it wouldn’t be long until he got accustomed to it.

William took a quick look at the clock; fourteen minutes left till he needed to head to the hangar. William began to slip out of his civvies and into his field attire, sliding the tyvek suit over his field uniform. Next was his ballistics vest along with his protective pads. In a matter of minutes William looked as if he was prepped for war. He sighed and swung the straps of his gas mask around his neck. Opening his door, he made his way out into the hallway and towards the elevator on the far end. Going through door after door and pushing his way through the numerous engineers milling about, who were busy making sure the ship was well maintained. William reached the elevator and pushed the call button on the keypad. Seconds later the door slid open and he stepped in. William pushed the button that held the symbol of the hangar; the doors closed and he felt a sense of weightlessness as the elevator descended into the lower decks of the ship.

:[-]:

“Make sure those guns are in working condition!” ordered one of the engineer managers as he brushed past William and headed over towards the Condor that would be taking the team back down to Earth. Surrounding it were a few engineers who were mounting large Gatling guns onto its sides. William honestly couldn’t see why they were adding them, it was unlikely that they were going to have to be dealing with anything on the ground, let alone in the air. Unless... A wild thought entered William’s mind; there were some crazy mutations while they were gone– Will shook his head.

“I’ve had too much time to myself,” he mumbled under his breath.

Large metallic thumps followed by a very robotic voice came from William’s right. “Excuse me, Commander. Large cargo coming through.” Snapping back to reality, William turned and stepped out of the way of a twenty foot Panzer MEC carrying a large metal crate.

“Hey, hey, hey, what are you doing with that?!” The same manager as before ran past William waving his arms like a madman at the MEC. “Are you blind? Storage room A is on the opposite end of the hangar you idiot!”

William shook his head and turned back towards the Condor. “-and I’m talking huge,” Looking towards the voice, William saw Deshaun, his Lieutenant, talking with his squad mates. He had perched himself on top of an ammo crate, and he was leaning from man to man, his arms gesturing as he spoke. “Like, this guy must’ve been lifting weights or something before he got infected. Next thing I know, this dude is—and I’m not kidding here—lifting this long ass metal pipe up off the ground. I’m talking forty, fifty pounds here, and he swings it at me. So I duck, right, and the tip of the pipe shatters the window behind me! I cock my arm back and punch the sucker in the gut.” Shaun cocked his arm back and punched the air, imitating the move he supposedly performed on the sleeper. “Like that,” he said, “but nothing happened. The bastard wouldn’t budge; he just looked at me and tilted his head like this.” For comedic effect, Shaun tilted his head stupidly to the side, the two men and the solitary woman who were listening chuckled.

William stopped just a few feet away from them and listened. “Right then and there I felt like I was going to start shitting bricks,” Shaun chuckled. “I thought I was done for, so right away I began making my peace with God, hoping that my life would end quickly.” Shaun laced his fingers together and pretended he was praying. “But then, as if God was watching me the whole time, he intervenes. And I'm talking divine intervention.” Shaun smirked. “In comes William with these two rifles, he jams one of them into the large fucker’s face and tosses me the other.”

William grinned and got closer towards the group as Shaun continued with his story. “I raised the rifle and I emptied the magazine into the deadbeat’s chest.” Shaun pretended he was holding his rifle. “But he wouldn’t drop! This dude was taking bullets like a fucking champ, I’ve never seen anything like it—it was like something straight of the Walking Dead. Except… he wasn’t fucking dead!”

William laughed. “Oh you should have seen the look on his face!” The soldiers glanced over at him.

“Hey Commander,” Shaun rose two fingers above his head and gave a brief salute. “I was just telling them about–”

“I know, I know, I heard the whole thing,” Will said, taking a seat on the ammo crate right beside Shaun. “And I have to say… you got half of the story right.” He smiled.

“What do you mean?” Stacy asked, running a hand through her red hair.

“He forgot the fact that he was in tears the whole time,” Will chuckled.

“Wait-what?!” Shaun eyes snapped open. “I was–I mean–wouldn’t you'd be in tears if you were this close to becoming one of them?” He spaced his thumb and index finger apart in a gesture to show how close he came to becoming a sleeper.

“Son, that very same one nearly strangled me to death with its pipe,” Will replied. “Now come on you pansy, Hassel and his coats will be showing up any second now. Start loading the rest of the supplies onto the drop ship.” William hopped off the crate.

“No need to worry about that, Commander. We already have it loaded up,” A soldier informed William

The Commander raised an eyebrow. “Well now, aren’t we ahead of schedule? Alright then,” he said, clapping his hands together. “As you were then. I’ll go check up on DeSilva,” William remarked, making his way towards the Condor, where a man in the cockpit sat fiddling with the controls.

:[-]:

DeSilva, a man of average height with long brown hair and a beard, sat back in the cockpit, sighing as he took a sip of the soda in his hand. It’d been what, over twelve thousand years since he last at in the cockpit of any aircraft? And that had probably been the most boring period of his life. He chuckled at the thought of being over twelve thousand years old. “That puts the meaning of old to a whole new level,” he murmured to himself as he took another swig of his soda and bent over to switch on the built in fan.

A thud came from behind him as the door to the cockpit slid open. Glancing out from behind the chair he saw Commander Keshiner step into the cockpit and take the seat right beside him. Resting his back against the leather seat, he gazed upwards and sighed. “You know,” DeSilva began, “you could’ve knocked.” He turned towards Keshiner as he put his soda in one of the cockpit’s numerous cup holders.

“Well… ya know, times change.” William stretched his arms out. “Goddamn! How can you sit in these things for so long?”

“You get used to it after a few years.” DeSilva reached back into the pouch he had strapped onto the side of the chair. After a few moments of digging around, he withdrew a small yellow CD. “After that,” he continued, “you don’t really notice it.” He placed the CD into the player that rested above the controls. Moments passed, then soothing orchestra music came through the speakers, “There ya go, that’s nice…–wait, no. I listened to you last time… oh– hang on... there we go. Haven’t listened to Beethoven in a while.” DeSilva sat back and smiled.

William looked at him confused. “When did you start listening to classical?”

DeSilva looked at him, a frown on his face. “Commander, I was your pilot for over six months during the war, and you’ve never noticed that I listen to this?”

William’s eyes wandered around as he shrugged. “Usually I’m not sitting in the cockpit with you, so how would I notice?”

“How did you not notice? I blare it through the damn– you know what? Never mind.” DeSilva grabbed his drink. “Speaking of you being in the cockpit with me,” he took a sip and gazed out the front windshield, “it’s not common for you to be in here with me.”

“So what?” William eyed his drink. “What are you doing with that?”

“Excuse me?” DeSilva looked at him through the corner of his eyes.

“Where did you get that pop?” William pointed at the red can completely bypassing the previous subject.

“Oh, this? I found a twelve pack down in refrigeration. Where they keep most of the canned goods, you know.” He grinned and took a large sip. Lowering the can away from his lips, he offered it out to William. “Wanna sip?”

William pushed the can away with his left hand, a disappointed look on his face. “So you’re the one who’s been taking all our pop.” His voice was stern.

“Wait, what?” DeSilva jolted back. “What are you talking about?”

“The Admiral said it himself, all luxury foods and drinks must be saved for important situations.” William crossed his arms, much like how a father would when he’s scolding his child.

DeSilva’s jaw dropped and his eyes darted towards the window, then back at the can, then back towards the window again. This continued for several seconds. “B-b-but–” he stammered, “this is an important situation, we’re about to return to Earth! And more importantly, how does soda fall under luxury?” DeSilva quickly retorted. “This shit practically kills your innards.”

Will shrugged. “Hey, I’m not the one who makes the rules. In the words of an acquaintance: ‘I just work here’.” He leaned over and reached under DeSilva’s seat to retrieve the six pack of the contraband goods. He took a can and popped the tab, and promptly chugged most of the cola. The taste felt alien in his mouth and William wanted to spit it out. It’d been so long since he had actually had soda that his taste buds had grown accustomed to water and hash. Swallowing the carbonated liquid, William clenched his teeth and rapidly shook his head. “Gah, Jesus! Whoa!” He chuckled to himself.

“You know, I like how you were just telling me it’s not right that I’m drinking this stuff,” DeSilva smiled, “yet here you are helping yourself.”

William took another swig and wiped his lips with his sleeve. “Well, what was wrong was the fact that you were drinking it yourself.” He placed his can in a cup holder. “Yes, you were right about the fact that what is going on now is rather important, and I think it should deserve a drink to go with it.”

DeSilva looked confused. “I’m afraid I’m not following what you are saying, sir.”

“You have a whole twelve pack for Christ sake! Don’t drink by yourself. Share some of it will ya!” He laughed.

“Gentlemen.” Both men in the cockpit spun around quickly, only to see Dr. Hassel standing in the doorway. Behind him both men could see the scientists loading onto the ship, the soldiers just behind them. “I’ve just gotten vord zat vee vill be taking off shortly.”

“When? I haven’t even received a damn alert 30 from mother yet!” DeSilva said.

Hassel raised an eyebrow, “Vell, Mr. Pavlovich, maybe if you’d just turn down zee music and actually paid attention to zee comms, you vould.”

DeSilva turned away. “Sorry.” He reached over and switched the music off, bending over to turn on the comm link.

Hassel shook his head. Looking at William, he smiled. “Ahh, it is nice to see you here, Villiam.”

William got up from his chair. “Hello, Doc.” He glanced over Hassel’s shoulder and back at the men and women boarding the shuttle. “I see that you and your men are ready.”

Hassel nodded and ducked back into the other room. William followed. “Indeed I haf–excuse me–have,” he cleared his throat as he corrected himself. “Ve’ve just finished loading zee supplies into zee cargo bay, so ve’re just vaiting for Johnny to give zee all clear.”

"Well, how convenient,” DeSilva grumbled as he popped open another can. He had his headset on, along with a pair of completely unneeded sunglasses. “Central has just now given me the green light for takeoff.” He flipped down the mic that was attached to the side of the headset. “I’m reading you loud and clear, Central.”

Hassel patted Will’s shoulder as he motioned back towards the seats with a jerk of his head. William nodded in understanding and followed him towards the back. Both men sat down and began to strap themselves in. The cockpit door closed at the same time as the side doors, which were now fitted with large Gatling guns. The guns automatically pulled back and folded up so that the doors could shut and seal themselves, creating an airtight seal. “Alright, ladies, I’ve just been given the all clear. In a matter of seconds we’ll begin our descent back down to Earth. Oh and one last thing, I hope ya’ll brought pillows and a pair of pajamas. It’s a five hour trip.”


“Everyone locked in?” Asked Michael, a tall, relatively thin soldier with short cut brown hair and green eyes; the man had a smile on his face, and was gazing back and forth at everybody. Everyone spoke up in the affirmative. “I can’t believe it,” Michael stated, his voice nearly trembling with excitement. “I never thought we’d be returning to Earth. When do you guys think we’ll be cracking open the vaults?”

“Probably not for another month,” replied Doug Miller, a particularly fat scientist who was sitting beside Stacy. The poor girl looked as if she was trying to put as much distance between herself and the man as possible before she suffocated beneath him.

Michael frowned. “Why so long?” The VTOL shook violently for a second as latches attached it to a cargo elevator, allowing it to slowly descend into the lower decks of the ship, creaking and groaning all the way.

“Because we need to check–” the drop ship lurched a bit to one side, startling everyone. “Dammit! When are they going to oil those gears?” Doug asked no one in particular. “Anyway, as I was saying,” His eyes returned to Michael, “we’ll have to run tests on the planetary surface.”

“What kind of tests?” Stacey asked for the sake of conversation, still trying her best to scooch away, but to her displeasure the straps kept her in place.

“Mainly biological,” Doug began to explain. “The differences in animal life, such as mutations or even just new types of species that might have sprung up over time. Same goes for the plant life. Due to us being gone for so long and the amount of radiation that organisms were exposed to, we need to check and see what’s safe and what’s not. Another thing is we’ll be testing the oxygen–”

“Why would we need to test the air?” Michael tilted his head and gave Doug a confused look.

“Well, radiation is the main reason. Another is that with all the dust and pollution that the bombs blasted into our planet’s atmosphere, we assume the Earth would have trouble restoring to it’s original self, let alone removing the chemicals that might have been whipped up into the atmosphere. If our theories are correct, we could breathe in some new type of pathogen, which could be very harmful to all of us due to our bodies not having any type immunity to it.” Doug took a deep breath and ran a hand through his short black hair.

Shaun, who was listening to the conversation just across from Doug, turned and looked at him. “So, you’re saying the Earth’s air is so dirty, that it’s harmful to us?”

“Well, I can assure you there’s much more to it than that,” Doug stated, “That’s why we’re bringing these masks and tyvek suits along, in case the air or environment is irradiated and toxic.”

“I fucking hate these plastic suits,” Stacey, who at this point had given up and moved to a different seat to escape Doug’s girth, grumbled.

“So,” Nervous at the previous thought Deshaun began to change the subject, “we’ve got to watch over you guys while you look at duckies and bunnies?”

Doug smiled. “If you’re lucky, maybe you’ll see a mutated Bugs Bunny.”

“Shit, now that’d be interesting.” Deshaun chuckled.

The speakers suddenly crackled with static, with DeSilva’s voice quickly following through. “Alright, I hope all of you are buckled in, we’re taking off in T-minus thirty seconds.”

William shifted in his seat, “Hey, Hassel,” he yawned, suddenly feeling tired.

“Hmm?” Hassel looked up from his book he had brought with him.

“Wake me up ten minutes before we land.” William rested his head back against his seat.

“Sure, sing Villiam.” Hassel turned the page and continued on reading; William yawned and closed his eyes right as the ship shuddered and shot off into the vacuum of space.

...

Editors Notes:

Well, this is my first editor’s note. HI GUYS!! Your resident Grammar Nazi, reporting in! Never knew what kind of work went into editing, until I found this sentence, and I am quoting Nebula here: “I live a bit to the northwest of east of the south in the middle.” I am the guy you can thank for not seeing that kind of sentence. Oh! And for the commas.
With love in that no-homo way,

-Wulf95

Other Editors Notes:

Yeah, there was some funky writing when I was the only editor on this, now it seems YOU get to deal with that Wulf, while I just have to clean up little mistakes such as "any time vs anytime" or "passed vs past". Ah, the easy life. It is good. Wait.... Nazi!?! Not now! It's Passover!!!!

-Isaac3924

P.S. The alert 30 and mother thing is pilot jargon I found online, I hope I'm using it right, but if anyone reading this is part of the air force and actually knows how to use these words, go ahead and rag on me as much as you want. Now Imma go eat some Matzah Ball soup! At 2 AM!

Author's Note:

Now for the actual author notes, if you're wondering why they're editor notes. Well Wulf, my trusty Grammar Nazi gestapo came up to me yesterday during our editing session and asked. So yeah, I guess he'll frequently throw in his own two scents first hand probably rough me up with a few witty comments like the one up there about me and the directions. Which isn't a joke by the way cause he was asking me why did I call soda "pop" and at the same time the sentence sounded odd. I told him that where I live which is a bit to the northwest of east of the south in the middle, we call soda "pop".

Besides that Isaac just came out of fucking nowhere, so yeah feel free to check out their shit... I don't know if they have any shit. But if they don't and you need a fellow editor at some point give them a call and they'll come running.