• Published 18th Sep 2013
  • 4,413 Views, 112 Comments

The Everfree Monster - Iridescence T Wind



What defines a monster? Being different then others? No, everypony is different in their own way, So is it an imaginary creature that is typically large, ugly, and frightening?No, instead, a monster is a thing somepony dosen't understand.

  • ...
8
 112
 4,413

The difference between a Captive and a Prisoner?

A captive and a prisoner both refer to the same method of keeping somepony, or thing, against their will. Though the implications however are different as well in these regards. To look at it from a technical standpoint becoming a Prisoner implies the government, or your corporation per say, has an actual jurisdiction over the 'Prisoner' due to something that prisoner has done. It is for the sake of the rules, and very boundaries in which a law abiding government abides. However for being a captive, it lacks most of it. The reasons might not actually deal with the pony themselves but those they know. A captive is taken by their captors without care for the law, police, military jurisdiction, etc.

Instead the 'Captor' of this situation sees something to gain and took the 'Captive' for that very reason. Kidnap a rich pony and you can expect a large ransom for example from his family. Hold a captive's life in your hands and a criminal might escape being brought down by the local guards for a short while. As such the difference between a Captive and prisoner relies upon the alignment of the pony who made you one. As for me? I call those I keep detained, guests.

That is of course, if they can keep their manners.

((((((((((((((((((((o))))))))))))))))))))

If one thing was clear, a majority of these creatures were badly wounded, if not dead from the various impacts that they had experienced. No surprise that the largest of their kin, the same bug-thing that asked for help, was the least injured of it's kin. It took several hours to pry every dead and wounded bug pony from their impact craters and with the limited knowledge on their physiology the best medical treatment that could be applied were sterilized leaf bandages that from some of the larger trees of the forest. For the worst off members of their kin, he sacrificed a medical plant in which he used to treat animals of his forest, on the occasion they got hurt. Even then there wasn't enough to go around, with many dead from the impact alone, and several having died of serious injury before treatment could of been applied. There was only so much that a single forest could do for a small cities worth of injuries. Out of the five hundred that had crashed into the forest, only a fifth of them had the strength to survive with the medicine applied.

The Caretaker had to wonder why and who had caused all of this destruction and loss of life. Judging from the explosion these things had been flung all over the place, and without proper medical care their bodies would likely be found rotting away all over the country. Another thing he had to wonder, was why every single one had holes in their hooves. Though strangely they didn't seem to be injuries, as they weren't bleeding in comparison to the fractures and other injuries inflicted on them.

As the sun set on the horizon the survivors had been finally gathered up in one clearing, with a few orders the wildlife knew to leave these strange creatures alone, and the Golems of the forest had formed a perimeter around them; for both the forest and their own safety. More than once did he take care of something bug like only to find out later that it was parasitic to the wildlife around it. The Caretaker didn't want to see another Termite breakout. That had taken forever to purge from the forest the last time they were introduced. The largest however, was under his personal watch. It, he knew, was able to speak. With a final check on the creature's physical condition, he merged back into one of the larger nearby trees of the forest, I simply watched them, waiting for one of them to wake.

((((((((((((((((((((o))))))))))))))))))))

Pain, it was the feeling that first drew into her mind as she groggily awoke, eyes shifting ever so slightly as her consciousness came back. The pulse of their linked minds showed similar activity, though their pain was much worse off than her own. Shutting the multitude of voices off from her mind she attempted to regain control of her hooves. They were covered in something, but she knew not what it was. Firm pressure grasped over her sore body in a multitude of places, her head ached from the magical effort her past shield had taken.

Her head recalled the reason she had to of used the spell, and as she remembered it, her eyes snapped open, adjusting to the night time as she grimaced. She had failed. It was too much to take in how ridiculous it was, two ponies love for each other had repelled her army of changelings, She stomped a hoof on the ground a little bit too hard in an attempt to roll over onto her less sore side, groaning audibly as she rolled onto her stomach. She would get revenge on those ponies, but first she had to gather the survivors and figure out where she was.

As she started to stand, a low growl stopped her. She looked around, scanning the trees and surrounding environment, but detecting nothing. What was it, some sort of hunter? A predator who was lurking in the bushes? As she drew herself up fully the growl came again, and this time she felt it. It was her stomach, with a sigh of relief and a glare at the offending region that had caused her false alarm she relaxed. Then a voice behind her almost caused the Changeling Queen to leap in surprise, "I wouldn't move too much if I were you."


The Changeling spun around, wincing as her bandaged wounds groaned in muted pain, there was nothing there but more trees, she responded warily, "Who are you?"

There seemed to be a definite pause as the voice considered, "I'm the Caretaker of this forest of course."

This in turn made the Changeling raise an eyebrow as she searched for the source of the voice, "So your a Gardener?"

The Caretaker chuckled before responding, "A gardener implies that the only thing he takes care of is a specific type of plants. There are also animals, weather, excavation, and more to take care of in this forest."

She ignored the explanation on the difference, "And what is this forest's name?"

The voice replied, "I'll tell you if you tell me something in return." the voice replied, not waiting for her to agree before continuing, "Who and what, are you?"

Chrysalis growled, "None of your business."

The voice casually replied, "Then I guess you won't learn your answer then."

It seemed forever before one of them would speak again, and it was the voice, "How about if I promise to show you your fellow survivors of that crash as a bonus?"

That gained her interest drawing the Queen out of her perpetual glare and into a look of brief concern, "You know where they are?" Chrysalis' face regrew it's stern look as she put up a front, "What have you done to them?!" she growled.

"Nothing besides apply bandages to their wounds, as well as much salve as I could spare for the worse off ones. Though a majority of them died on impact with the forest. Perhaps a hundred in all, give or take about ten, survived. Including you."

Chrysalis's was off put by that, looking at herself she could easily spot if not feel what had been squeezing her, had indeed been several large leaves tied to her body with smaller vines. Several larger vines dwelled within easy reach in the trees themselves yet the stranger hadn't tied her up as well? What reason did he have for such an act. begrudgingly she answered, if only to see if his words were true, "My species are called Changelings, I am a larger, rarer breed known as being apart of the Royal Caste of changelings rather than a drone or warrior one. Happy?"

"Very." the voice replied, "And your name?"

Chrysalis didn't hesitate, "Chrysalis."

"A cocoon? How lovely." Chrysalis moved to give an angry retort but was interrupted by the mysterious pony, "Turn around and walk thirty meters for your survivors. As for this forest... You're in the only place in the world believed to be free of 'control' by the nearby natives. Welcome to the Everfree Forest, my little Cocoon. You're in my woods now. Not the ones operated within Equestrian borders or another nation, but the free realm."