• Published 18th Sep 2013
  • 4,425 Views, 112 Comments

The Everfree Monster - Iridescence T Wind



What defines a monster? Being different then others? No, everypony is different in their own way, So is it an imaginary creature that is typically large, ugly, and frightening?No, instead, a monster is a thing somepony dosen't understand.

  • ...
8
 112
 4,425

What is History?

History. It is a recording of the past usually done so by the victors of the past, those strong individuals who form a nation, and settle disputes through either diplomacy, war, or other form of politics such as peaceful riots or violent. However, one thing remains clear. Victory is ultimately the the truth to how history is written. After all, when was the last time that the loser of a war had his story shared within the winners nation? In Equestria, that had never been the case as far as I know. Any misjustice that Equestria had presented had been moralized or downright excluded from the annals of history. On occasions that ponies have rarely discussed history near my forest or few living spies like my lovely assistant Summer, there had been an enforced an blatantly obvious gap in Equestria's history regarding the events around the 'Nightmare Moon' Celebration, as well as the supposed first defeat of 'Discord' and more so backwards between those two key events and Equestria's founding.

Long story short, never assume that one side tells all when it comes to history. Nations hate an underdog but when it comes to them winning their fight, suddenly they are pushed into a positive light. When a war commences, to moralize the killing of another individual, or often multiple for their soldiers, dehumanizing and racism begins to take the place of mixed understanding and individualism. When a war is won, nations justify their victory over every act that both nations committed. the truth of the matters is rarely if ever revealed in full.

((((((((((((((((((((o))))))))))))))))))))

What did he mean when he mentioned the 'Moonslayer'. Twilight pondered this alongside her chances of escaping her confinements. Clearly he didn't mean so literally, since the moon was in plain sight on the cloudless nights of her stay. So that left figuratively, which the name implied a title, and from how he spoke about this being, a title. In recent memory and long term memory for Twilight, however, only two beings, or well technically one could count to being attached to the moon. Unless you counted the unicorns who moved the sun back before the princesses rule, those two beings were Nightmare Moon, and the current little sister of the princess diarchy, Princess Luna. This bothered Twilight since only two beings had defeated Nightmare moon, and by extension, Luna. The first had been Princess Celestia, who had used the Elements of Harmony to banish her sister to the moon for a thousand years, and the second being Twilight and her friends who had used the same Elements of Harmony to purify the princess and bring her back to her older sister.

But this was all a speculative theory until she could gather some more evidence that related to this subject. However, the implications of the term 'Moonslayer' suggested that if indeed, this moon was Luna, then there was a large misunderstanding going on in this tree-pony. The other subjects like the mention of the fantasy creature in writing known as the 'Elk' he had mentioned was equally puzzling to the scientific mare but she would have to hold it off until either the 'Caretaker' could answer these questions truthfully, or until she could escape and pen a letter about the changelings and the Tree-Pony.

Tree-Pony.

That itself was a mystery to Twilight, the fact that this pony was clearly earth type in nature, would suggest that this shouldn't be possible, unless of course that it could choose its own physical manifestation, in which case it was no longer a tree-pony, but instead the type of creature known as either an Ent in mythology or a Dryad. But neither confirmed how the wooden spirit flitted between each and every tree. As both were limited to one specific tree form of life. The Caretaker made almost casual deviations from this, as later on during the periods she was awake, he had appeared in differing colors, suggesting different wood types.

She stretched her limits again, feeling the pulse and ebb of her own magic under the gooey restraints that had been placed on her horn. Barely a trickle of it remained unleashed, but with that trickle and her own massive stores eventually that would be enough to break her own bonds where the horn came into play. So far in her prison she had naught but a wooden cage and several Changeling drones at any time who would just douse her horn in more of the goo if they saw signs of her attempt to free her magic. Chrysalis was by no means an incompetent leader, but the 'Caretaker' was an unknown factor to Twilight Sparkle. While she was sure that she could lose the changelings within the forest, she had both no idea where she would go, or how much the Caretaker could actually control within the forest.

She did not doubt that this was the Everfree Forest, no other forest in Equestria matched the dark depths and sporadic weather that happened here, and besides the Whitetail Woods, only the Everfree Forest was close to Ponyville. That and on one occasion she saw a Timberwolf, which was native only to the same forest, lurking on the edge of the meadow that the Changelings camped in, as well as something... Bigger...

((((((((((((((((((((o))))))))))))))))))))

The Caretaker was still beating himself up about his almost unleashed temper tantrum on a daily basis. Old angers had reignited, as a gaze far too similar to the Moonslayers pierced him within the lavender mare. The eyes of studied calculation and untold cleverness that would give several a crow a fit of envy. Summer tried to comfort him, making a temporary nest in his vine-mane whenever he reappeared in the various rooms of his being, and would sing him soft songs but the bird couldn't understand. It wasn't the Summer from all those years ago. It was its kin. But not close enough. To this end he punished himself with an increased load of multitasking and micro managing his own forest. The joke-blue-flowers were still growing near the few forest spathes in his realm that were made by ponies to help prevent wider exploration by ponies, and thus wider and more numerous pathes but soon they would have to reseed themselves into the ground and vanish for the incoming winter if they wanted to survive as a species. Which clearly the weed like flower did.

He had been working days on end on the seeds however that were truly important at the moment, days were passing tirelessly but on his waning focus, mistakes were being made that he punished himself further profusely. He reminded himself, it was all for her...

Her... He could remember her breath, cold as a chilly night down his neck. An embrace that would push him slightly forward from behind as deep blue furred legs wrapped around him and pull him into the softest touch he would ever feel. The years before becoming a tree were starting to become vague to the ancient being of wood and magic. But those few things would always remain clear. Her smile, and radiant beauty... The innocent eyes and tender lips...

"You should really stop punishing yourself," her voice would say, as it always did over the years, "There is always tomorrow to work on your projects, what is the rush?"

He would mutter an excuse about time waiting for no pony, and she would laugh, that charming adorable laugh... It could make his heart stop if he still had it to hear it once again.

"Come on..." His name would be uttered, his true name, but he would ignore it, focusing instead on her mane, softer than clouds, and more brilliant than the night that was painted for the evening, "I want your opinion on the new star system I've made, I call it Cap-rio. After your hat."

"A hat system for the hattiest hat to ever hat?"

She giggled, "Might not be a system composed of hats, but its shaped like yours."

His hat, what had his hat been shaped like? It didn't matter to him, the Caretaker was lost in his own memory, his work halting and causing Summer to give a slightly alarmed chirp as her friend stood stock still.

"I miss you... My sweet dear Moon..." his soft voice called, to the mare only he could see.

And the forest grew somber for that evening... as it had often done in the past.

Author's Note:

The story intro is a little strange this time, but mainly because of some views I've kept hearing over the years that irritated me beyond belief. The history part at the start is just an observation of what several people have noticed in how history is written. by the winners of a fight. Personally I dislike all wars no matter how justified people make them. With Equestrias ever vague history of the matter that could be cleared up majorly by simply asking the immortals like the Princesses, Discord, Tirek, and et cetera. what happened during this period, it doesn't help their case to keep it obscure. Yeah, I'm looking at you Tia.