• Published 26th Feb 2012
  • 36,414 Views, 1,659 Comments

A Different Viewpoint of Equestria - Christopher28



An archeologist finds himself in lost in Equestria after Discord's storm of Chaos.

  • ...
91
 1,659
 36,414

Chapter 31

Cheerilee started awake to the sound of an inarticulate yell coming from just beside her, and found herself being shoved out of bed as the earth pony stallion sleeping beside her thrashed in apparent terror. Tumbling to the floor, she struggled to her knees, her memory of the events of earlier that night coming back to her as she did so. Johnathon started to quiet down even as she shook her head to clear it, and she reached over, putting a hand on his shoulder to calm him.

"Johnathon? Johnathon, are you alright?"

The earth pony shivered under her hand, then struggled for a moment to turn over, nearly falling out of the bed on top of her in the process. Seeing her on the floor, he flinched, looking upset.

"Cheerilee, I didn't hurt you...?"

Cheerilee quickly shook her head. "I was a bit startled, but I'm fine. Now what's wrong? Did you have a bad dream?"

Johnathon turned away slightly, wincing at the memory. "A nightmare... I'm sorry I woke you up, though."

Cheerilee reached up to stroke his muzzle lightly with one hand. "What was it about? Do you want to talk about it?"

"I dreamed..." he started to speak, then cut himself off, going silent.

"What was it?"

Johnathon shook his head, glancing at his hooves with a slight shudder. "It's nothing. Just a stupid dream. I'm not even sure why I was so frightened."

Cheerilee raised an eyebrow at that, then smiled sympathetically. "Sometimes dreams, and even nightmares seem to make very little sense when you're awake, but that doesn't mean they don't seem very real when you're in the middle of them. Why don't you tell me about it?"

Johnathon hesitated again. "It was stupid. It started out like a regular day... you know, getting up, eating breakfast, that sort of thing but suddenly I realized I was an Earth Pony, and for some reason I was convinced I was stuck that way... and I was just... terrified. I kept looking at my hooves, and I just started to scream. I guess I woke myself up, although at first it was like I was still dreaming," he sighed, staring at his forehooves with a tired expression. "I'm sorry... it must seem really stupid. The spell is going to wear off soon, and I was the one who asked Twilight to change me... it's just... now that it's starting to settle in, the thought of losing my hands... my real body, it scares me more than I imagined it would."

Cheerilee kissed him on the forehead carefully and continued to stroke his muzzle. "It's not stupid. I woke up with similar nightmares the first few nights after Twilight changed me. In the middle of the night, it somehow felt that losing my Earth Pony form... that somehow I was losing myself. I felt like a stranger in my own skin. As for your hands... I think I understand something about what you must be feeling. Losing your hands must be like losing a leg for a pony. Just because you still have four good limbs doesn't mean that it feels like a fair trade. You were a good sport at dinner, but I could tell you were struggling."

Johnathon sighed. "I'm sorry... I feel pretty dumb, overreacting like this."

Cheerilee smiled and shook her head. "Don't apologize. I'm glad you're willing to talk to me about all of this. It's a pretty personal subject."

He smiled faintly at her. "Well, who else am I going to talk to about this but you?"

Cheerilee shrugged. "I suppose I am the only pony who's spent any real time as a human...."

Johnathon shook his head, reaching out with his forehooves to try and hug her. "Maybe, but mostly I think it's easy to talk to you because you're the pony I happen to be in love with."

Cheerilee climbed into bed, hugging him back and burying her face in his mane. "That's a good reason too, I suppose."

*********************************************

Briar Rose hopped off the train and glanced around Ponyville's solitary train station with mild curiosity. It had been years since the last time she had been here, and that had been only a short stopover before continuing on to Manehatten on a museum tour. Still, the little town hadn't seemed to change much from what she could remember.

Behind her, half a dozen royal guards and a pair of Wonderbolts were in a loose formation, chatting quietly but seriously about the mission ahead. While the royal guards were in armor, Spitfire and Soarin were both dressed casually for once. Both of the athletic pegasi were wearing sleekly aerodynamic saddle bags, having come prepared for the rather pedestrian, but much needed task of running messages and supplies for the expedition. It wasn't as if the Everfree forest was on a regular mail route, after all. Even just flying over the forest was dangerous work, and it was nice being certain that communications and supplies, at least, would be carried by capable wings.

Briar Rose looked around curiously, and nodded to herself as she spotted a purple unicorn carrying a small dragon hatchling on her back, walking in their direction from the train station's terminal.

"Twilight Sparkle, I presume?"

"And you would be Professor Rose?" Twilight Sparkle extended a hoof with a genuine smile. "It's good to meet you. Princess Celestia tells me that you're the best."

"She said much the same about you, Miss Sparkle," Briar Rose said honestly. "It'll be good working with an experienced researcher like yourself."

Twilight blushed, looking embarrassed. "Oh, I haven't done anything significant in YOUR field, professor, and even my recent magical research has yet to bear any worthwhile results."

Briar Rose sniffed dismissively. "Nonsense. I've done my homework. You pieced together a thousand year old riddle in a matter of days, and not only located the Elements of Harmony, but discerned how to use them in the middle of a very hostile situation. As for your magical research, last I heard, you found a way to turn yourself into an alicorn, capable of single hoofedly raising the sun! Temporary or not, that's mind bogglingly high level magic!"

Twilight winced, shaking her head. "I was just lucky... and my friends helped me all along the way."

Briar Rose chuckled. "Well, if you're that lucky, I still couldn't ask for anypony better suited for an expedition like this. Besides, you've already made the trip, right? You and your friends are the only ponies, besides the Princesses, anyway, who've been to the Castle of the Pony Sisters in years."

Twilight nodded quickly. "I've taken the time to copy the most current map of the forest, and I've added notations for everything I've managed to observe about the forest in my time here. Zecora, a zebra who lives in the forest, has been very helpful in filling in some of the gaps," she hesitated. "It's still at the library, where I live. Should I go get it?"

Briar Rose looked pleased. "Why don't we head there. I'll want to meet with your friends, the other element bearers, and discuss the expedition in detail in any event, and we can use your library as a meeting place. You can show me the map while we're waiting."

Twilight smiled and nodded, turning her head to look back at the baby dragon. "Spike, could you let the girls know to meet us at the library please? I'm going to show Darin... I mean, Professor Rose and her team the way to the library."

Spike hopped off her back and saluted. "Got it, Twilight! I'm on the job!" he rushed off on his stubby legs, and Twilight watched him go.

Briar Rose sighed slightly, glancing at Twilight. "Don't tell me... you've read the books, haven't you."

It was more of a statement than a question, but Twilight answered anyway, looking a bit embarrassed. "I started reading the Daring Do series when I was just a filly," Twilight admitted. "Is it true that they were based on your own adventures?"

"Loosely." Briar Rose admitted wryly. "One of my more generous backers had the bright idea to have a novel series published in order to finance my work... and make a tidy profit on the side, naturally. I could do without the notoriety, though."

Twilight hesitated. "So... out of curiosity... Ahuizotl?"

Briar Rose chuckled. "Oh, he's entirely fictional. I admit there were a few rather shady characters I had to deal with during some of my more remote expeditions which inspired the idea of him, but the Ahuizotl character was created, I'm told, to create a thematic link between the books."

Twilight nodded thoughtfully. "I thought as much. I mean, his character seems to change subtly for each appearance, as if his motivations and abilities change... and sometimes there didn't seem to be much reason for him to appear at all. Also, while most of the... er... Daring Do books do refer to actual historical artifacts, there is no record of anypony like Ahuizotl actually existing."

Briar Rose rolled her eyes. "They made up quite a few other things as well. The only part they seemed to get right was all the injuries I've had over the years. You'd think they'd have skipped those parts."

Twilight shook her head in disagreement. "Oh no! I thought it made Daring Do seem much more relatable... as if she was just a normal pony after all..." she blushed, seeming to realize again who she was talking to. "I mean... I don't mean that she, I mean, you, were normal. Obviously you're quite extraordinary to have accomplished so much! I just meant..."

Briar Rose chuckled. "Don't apologize. I am just a normal pony, after all. I put my shirts on one leg at a time, just like any other pony, and I'm certainly not the hero those books make me out to be. They're fiction, remember?"

Twilight shrugged sheepishly. "I still think you're pretty amazing. I've read up on your work in the field of archeology, and I'm amazed at all your discoveries! You've filled up entire wings of the Canterlot natural history museum by yourself!"

Briar Rose shook her head. "Not by myself. I've always had plenty of help along the way. Good ponies who deserve just as much credit as me."

Twilight smiled at that. "I suppose we've both been lucky in our friends then, Professor Rose."

Rose nodded thoughtfully. "I can't argue with that."

***************************************

Briar Rose and Twilight were pouring over Twilight's map of the Everfree forest as the others began to arrive, one at a time. Rarity and Pinkie were first, followed by Fluttershy. Applejack arrived only a few minutes later, stopping to chat with Bright Lance and Shining Star for a minute before joining the others inside the Library.

Rainbow Dash arrived last, flying down toward the library while suppressing a yawn. She had been napping on a cloud over the center of town when Pinkie had shouted up to her that Twilight wanted all of them to meet at the library, and she had taken her time stretching and letting herself wake up fully before coming down to see what the fuss was about. The half dozen royal guardponies outside the library had gotten her attention, and she grinned at them as she shot by them and through one of the library windows before they could protest her unorthodox entrance.

She came to a halt in the middle of the library floor with a smug grin, pleased by her, for once, smooth entrance. She had always had a little trouble with windows, especially solid ones like the ones on the library, and managing an entrance without crashing, and better yet, coming to a smooth and effortless looking touch down after coming through a window at nearly her top speed? That had taken major practice.

She glanced around at the surprisingly crowded room. Her friends were there, which was hardly a surprise, but upon spotting the other three ponies in the room, Rainbow had to take a second glance, then a third, as she tried to piece together what her eyes were telling her.

"Spitfire, and Soarin!" Rainbow Dash shouted, too surprised to suppress her fangasm immediately. Cool, Dash, be cool. the cyan pegasus told herself firmly, forcing her jaw to close. "I mean... hey guys... how's it hanging?" she asked the pair of Wonderbolts with forced nonchalance.

"Good to see you again, Dash," Spitfire said with what appeared to be a genuinely warm smile. "Guess we'll be working together on this one, huh?"

Rainbow Dash's eyes widened as she took in the implications of that. "Really? Awesome! I mean..." she sobered herself quickly, although she was unable to conceal her delight. "I mean... that sounds great. You guys are coming along on this dig thing? Into the Everfree and everything?"

"That's the plan," Soarin commented cheerfully. "We're your designated mail ponies," he quipped, his eyes twinkling slightly at the shocked expression on Dash's face at the statement. "You know, running messages, getting groceries... that sort of thing."

Dash snorted indignantly at that. "Oh come on! Anypony can do that! You've got to be pulling my leg, right?"

Spitfire chuckled. "Well, maybe anypony like you... but last time I checked, there aren't a whole lot of ponies who are willing to fly in and out of the Everfree on a daily basis. It's not exactly a milk run, kid."

Rainbow Dash blinked at that, then looked a little sheepish. "Well... yeah. Still, it's really cool of you guys to come along. I mean... you're Wonderbolts!"

Spitfire grinned. "Hey, when Princess Celestia asks for volunteers, I've got her back. Besides, it'll be cool being able to hang with you some more."

Rainbow Dash swallowed hard, unable to find a worthy response, and, rather than let herself tear up, turned to the final, unknown pony in the room. "Yeah... cool," Rainbow Dash's eyes narrowed slightly as she took in the unfamiliar pegasus mare. She was obviously an older mare, although she seemed in relatively decent shape to Rainbow Dash's trained eye. Her mustard coat and fading, greyscale mane seemed familiar somehow, but her quick glance at the mare's cutie mark was what caused Dash to freeze up as if she had been turned to stone, her mouth hanging open slightly in shock.

"Da... da... da... DARING DO?!?" Rainbow managed to choke out the name before her eyes rolled up in her head and she fainted dead away.

Briar Rose winced as the cyan speedster hit the floor with an audible thud. "I take it she's a fan?"

Twilight chuckled. "A huge one. She's read every book in the series. I introduced her to them because I kind of thought Daring Do was a little like her..." she blushed slightly. "I mean... Rainbow is a bit like the character in the books... I didn't mean to imply she was like you, Professor Rose."

Briar Rose smiled lightly. "I can accept a complement when I hear one, Miss Sparkle, and I could do worse than be compared to one of the Elements of Harmony, and the best young flier of her generation..." Briar Rose shrugged. "Not sure if I deserve the comparison though. I've never been the strongest flier, after all," she glanced down at the unconscious flier. "Although I don't remember Daring Do ever fainting quite so easily..." she joked.

Twilight grimaced. "Well... she really is your... I mean, Daring Do's... biggest fan."

Pinkie spoke up with a wide smile. "Is she ever! She's already got her Daring Do costume ready for next year's Nightmare Night! She even wears it around her house sometimes, and pretends to be you, I mean her... I mean Daring Do, who you're not, only you sort of are... aren't you?"

Briar Rose blinked, raising an eyebrow. "Er... that's interesting?"

Applejack coughed and shouldered Pinkie backwards, pausing to whisper into the pink pony's ear. "A little TOO much information there, Sugarcube."

Rarity had stepped forward even as the apple farmer pushed Pinkie back, smiling with a relaxed but welcoming expression. "Well, it is delightful to meet you, Professor Rose. Princess Celestia sent the very best to lead this expedition, I have no doubt, and I'm sure it'll be a pleasure working with you!"

Briar Rose nodded at Rarity, grateful for the change of subject, however minor. "I'm sure we'll get along fine... Rarity, right?"

Rarity beamed at being recognized. "At your service, Professor. Anything this simple seamstress can do for you, you have only to ask. It's such a privilege to work with a pony so accomplished. I'm simply fascinated by the very idea of this expedition, you know. Imagine, we could find the long lost last refuge of an ancient unicorn civilization! Think of the discoveries we could make! Think of the treasure... think of the gems!"

Briar Rose raised an eyebrow as the fashionista gushed to herself about the "gleaming wealth" they might find, and turned to Twilight. "So... is this everypony that's coming on this expedition? What about this... human of yours, Mister Dwire? He did the initial research, didn't he?"

Twilight hesitated, glancing first at Spike, then at Pinkie, who was pantomiming zipping her lips shut and throwing a key over her shoulder.

Spike glanced at Pinkie as well, then shrugged. "Er... he's kind of not available right now. He's... er... sick! Just a twenty four hour thing, I think...." he said quickly, extemporizing quickly. "I'm sure he'll be able to make it soon though!"

Briar Rose glanced curiously at the baby dragon, but decided not to make an issue of it. "Well, since it's already mid-afternoon, I figure we should stay here in Ponyville tonight, and head out first thing in the morning. If Mister Dwire is... feeling better by then, he's welcome to join us, of course. Is everypony alright with that?"

The others all nodded, and Briar Rose smiled seriously. "Alright then. Everypony be here, seven AM sharp, alright? Be packed and ready for at least several days in the woods," she turned to Twilight. "We've already got rooms booked at the Ponyville Inn... but I'd like to stay awhile... perhaps get my own copy of your map?"

Twilight smiled happily. "Sure! I can help you with that! I've got a few reference texts I'm thinking of bringing along as well, and I was really hoping you could give me some advice on what to pack!"

Briar Rose blinked, then shrugged. "Reference texts? Well... I'll take a look, although I'm not sure if a textbook is exactly the right thing to bring on a dig..."

As the others started moving to leave, Rainbow Dash blinked her eyes and started to struggle to her feet as well, then froze as she realized once again who she was sharing the room with. "Whoa..." she said incredulously. "You're not... you can't be... you can't really be... her, can you?"

Briar Rose turned to face the cyan pegasus calmly. "What do you think?"

Rainbow Dash swallowed, noting to her dismay that Spitfire and Soarin were both glancing in her direction. "Er... I think you probably think I'm being an idiot?"

Briar Rose laughed warmly, then shook her head. "Don't worry about it kid. Besides, I'm not Daring Do."

Rainbow Dash blinked, slowly rising to her full height as she took another good look at the older mare. "You're not? But... you look just like her! I mean, you're older... well, I mean, not that that's a bad thing, but... you're here to lead this archeology dig thing, right? You're the one the Princess had in mind to take over for Johnathon, right? You're an archeologist and everything..."

Briar Rose nodded calmly. "I'm a professor of Archeology, and I've been on a dig or two..."

Rainbow Dash hesitated, looking unusually thoughtful. "So... you're not the same Daring Do from the books, but... I bet she's based on you, right?"

Briar Rose shrugged helplessly. "In part, yes. They exaggerated a whole lot, you know? I'm not really a hero, not like the character in the books."

Rainbow Dash couldn't help but grin. "That's pretty much what Daring Do would say though," she held up a hoof as Briar Rose opened her mouth to protest. "I'm just kidding. You're not Daring Do. Got it," she blushed. "Sorry about the whole... fanmare thing. It's just... I love your... I mean, I love the Daring Do books, even if they're a bit egg heady..."

Briar Rose chuckled. "Well, I'll pass on your complements to the writer, next time I see her. I'm a bit of an egg head myself, although I don't usually go for those kinds of adventure novels. They're a bit silly sometimes, don't you think?"

Rainbow Dash's wings sagged slightly, then she shrugged and grinned. "Well... maybe they're a LITTLE over the top, but that's part of what make them so cool..."

"If you say so, kid," Briar Rose said with a shrug.

"Hey, Dash..." Spitfire spoke up, moving over next to the cyan pegasus with a friendly grin. "Care to show us around town a little? We've got the rest of the afternoon to kill, and I expect Soarin at least is going to want to find someplace to eat pretty soon, eh, Soarin?"

The blue pegasus stallion grinned. "You know me, boss," he said with a shrug. "The dining car on the train was almost an hour ago."

Rainbow Dash grinned and headed for the door. "You bet! I know all the best places," she winked back at them, starting to hover as she opened the door. "Follow me... if you think you can keep up."

Spitfire just laughed. "Cocky much? Just try and lose us, kid. Let's see what you've got."

Rainbow Dash's eyes flashed, and she grinned evilly. "Oh... it's on now," she started to flap her wings harder, staying in in one place expertly even as she caused gusts of wind to fill the library. "On your marks... get set... andgo!" Rainbow Dash blurted the final words in the same instant as she blurred out of the door, sending papers and books flying in her wake as Spitfire and Soarin lit off after her only a split second behind.

Twilight grimaced and her horn glowed brightly as she attempted to arrest the windborn flight of what appeared to be half the books in the room. "Darn it, Rainbow Dash! Don't start races inside my library!" she yelled uselessly to the empty air.

Briar Rose chuckled again, chuckling harder as a pair of puzzled unicorn guards peered carefully in through the open front door with worried expressions. "This sort of thing happen often around here?" she asked, still chortling.

"You have no idea..." Twilight muttered darkly to herself.

Applejack helped Fluttershy off the floor where the yellow pegasus had fallen in response to Rainbow's sudden exit, and the two of them headed for the front door as well. "See ya in the morning, y'all!" Applejack told them cheerfully as they exited.

Rarity's horn glowed as well as she helped Twilight put some order into the chaos left behind by the impromptu race. "I believe I will depart as well, Twilight. I have so little time to properly prepare, after all," the fashionista mildly complained. "Now then... what DOES one wear on an expedition?"

"Pockets are good," Briar Rose called after Rarity helpfully. "Pockets are always good."

Pinkie was busy peering out the window, following Rainbow and the pair of Wonderbolts with her eyes until they got out of sight before sighing and trotting toward the front door as well. "That looks like fun. Too bad I'm not a pegasus anymore."

Briar Rose blinked and glanced at Twilight curiously. "Something I should know about?"

Twilight coughed nervously. "Heh... that's just... Pinkie being Pinkie... she's just so... random!"

*************************************

Applejack walked toward Cheerilee's house with a thoughtful expression. I know a lie when I hear one... she thought to herself as she turned the last corner before the schoolmare's home, and Spike was lying to that Archeologic professor who's supposed to be in charge. The question I want answered, is why?

Knocking on Cheerilee's door, she was surprised when a strange mare answered, blinking as she belatedly remembered who the older mare was.

"Mrs. Song, issat you?" Applejack asked with a surprised expression, which quickly shifted to a welcoming smile. "Well what do you know... how long has it been?"

Radiant Song smiled at the younger mare, then gave a thoughtful nod. "Almost five years now, I think, since I last came down to visit with Cheerilee. How are you doing, Applejack?"

Applejack beamed at her. "I'm doing right well, thank you kindly, ma'am. How have you and your husband been doing up in Baltimare?"

Radiant Song smiled. "We're doing just fine, dear. My dear husband is now a professor of engineering at Baltimare Technical college, and I've got several wonderful students that I have really high hopes for at the moment. How is your family doing? Is Granny Smith's hip still bothering her?"

Applejack nodded, shrugging. "I'm afraid so. Still, she's doing just fine otherwise. She'll outlive us all yet."

Radiant Song smiled and nodded, and her eyes twinkled slightly. "Dear old Granny Smith. She was quite the character, even back when I was a filly," she raised an eyebrow at the younger mare. "How about your brother. How's Big Macintosh? I hope he's taking... recent developments alright? I know he and my Cheery used to be a bit of an item..."

Applejack blushed. "Big Mac's just fine ma'am. He and Miss Cheerilee parted ways quite a while back, but no harm done. Just didn't quite click, I reckon."

Radiant Song sighed. "It's a shame. Your brother is quite the catch, you know. You must have your hooves full keeping the mares away."

Applejack frowned slightly, her eye twitching. "It ain't none of my business what Mac gets up to... I reckon he can take care of his own."

Radiant Song nodded gracefully. "Of course," changing the subject, she raised an eyebrow. "Were you here to talk to Cheerilee, dear?"

Applejack hesitated. "Well, actually, I came to see Johnathon. Spike said something about him being sick, but I reckon he should know about Professor Rose coming into town and all... seeing as she's heading up the expedition that he... er... the archeologic thingamabob that he figured out and all."

Radiant Song blinked, and the hesitation before she spoke, and the way her eyes twitched sideways told Applejack that she too was hiding something. "Well... he's really not up for company at the moment, dear... I could pass on a message for you, if you like."

Applejack's frown deepened and she raised an eyebrow dubiously. "Now I ain't one to point hooves, ma'am, and I reckon you got your reasons, but Johnathon's my friend, and if something's wrong, I reckon I want to know about it."

"It's alright, Radiant Song," Applejack recognized Johnathon's voice immediately, although there was something odd about the timbre. "Applejack knows about Twilight's spell research. We don't have to keep any secrets from her."

A tall stallion with a black mane and a dark brown coat came into view behind Radiant Song, nodding at Applejack. "Although I hope you'll understand if we ask you to keep this a secret, Applejack?"

Radiant Song sighed and nodded wearily. "Well, you might as well come in, Applejack. I'm sure Johnathon will want to hear your news," she glanced back at the stallion in question. "All this secrecy is harder than I thought, Johnathon. I'm too old for this sort of thing."

"You're doing fine," Johnathon told her sincerely. "But Applejack is a special case. She's pretty good at discerning the truth from a lie, after all."

Applejack entered the kitchen, letting the door swing closed behind her, and stopped to give the strange stallion her full attention. It was difficult to do anything else. It was obvious that the tall, leanly muscular, Earth Pony Stallion standing in front of her was, in fact, Johnathon transformed, and she didn't have to guess how, but at the same time, the sight of him had her momentarily flabbergasted. She noted at once that, while he was not quite as tall as her older brother, he was certainly still quite a bit taller than her, and taller by a hoof than most of the stallions in town. At the same time, while he didn't have the sheer muscle mass of her work horse brother either, he was toned and fit, and surprisingly handsome, despite the grey hairs on his muzzle.

Radiant Song watched the apple farmer stare at her daughter's fiancee with a bit of a smirk, then cleared her throat. "He does make for quite the handsome stallion, doesn't he?"

Applejack whistled under her breath. "Boy howdy..." then flushed, catching herself. "Er... I mean...." she closed her eyes and put a hoof to her forehead. "I'm mighty sorry about that, Johnathon... rude of a pony to be staring and all."

Johnathon chuckled and shook his head. "Don't worry about it. I had much the same reaction to Twilight Sparkle when she transformed herself into a human for the first time. I think Twilight herself might have something to do with how the transformations come out."

Applejack blinked, looking at him in surprise. "You saying Twilight made you that good looking on purpose?" she blurted, then winced.

Johnathon chuckled, then shrugged. "Well... I'm no judge of pony looks myself... but I can safely say that Twilight turned both herself and Cheerilee into remarkably attractive humans, and I don't remember turning quite as many heads on my world before this. I mean, I wasn't ugly, but I seem to be getting a lot more attention than I'm used to. Maybe Twilight was subconsciously improving our looks in the process?"

Applejack blinked. "Do ya think? I mean, that sounds more like something Rarity would do... ifen she could manage Twilight's spell, anyhow."

Johnathon shrugged. "Maybe. Of course, Twilight and Cheerilee might simply be two of the more attractive mares here in town, and that simply carried over to their human forms... although I don't know how that would work... and maybe the fact that there are a lot more mares than stallions here in Ponyville might make me seem more attractive in comparison...?"

Applejack blinked, then chuckled wryly. "Maybe... it's something to think on, sure enough."

Radiant Song looked thoughtful. "Well, I may be prejudiced, but I do think that my daughter is... was, quite the attractive mare. Certainly she got her share of male attention. As for Miss Sparkle, well, tastes vary, but I'd be surprised if many stallions thought her unattractive," she winked at Johnathon, "and as for you, Mister Dwire, as much as I hate to inflate your ego any further, I must admit that, if I was twenty years younger and not happily married, I'd be drooling over you as much as my daughter was all of last night."

Johnathon coughed, looking embarrassed, and Applejack laughed. "I reckon Cheerilee wasn't complaining none, with you coming home looking like this," her face turned curious. "So what happened, anyhow? Why are you suddenly an Earth Pony? Are you going to stay like this, and make our Cheerilee an honest mare?"

Johnathon hesitated before answering. "This transformation is temporary... it should wear off later today. As for whether or not I'm going to ask Twilight to make it permanent... well, we're still talking about it. It's a serious possibility."

Applejack's eyes went soft, and she put a hoof on his shoulder. "I reckon it's a tough decision. You're a good pony, Johnathon, even if you're not always a pony. Whichever you decide, I'll support ya in it," she looked thoughtful. "If you'da asked me a couple weeks ago, I'd a said the answer would be obvious... but I ain't so sure no more. Cheerilee and you are good together. It's more than just you sharing the same skin."

"It would be easier... if I stayed a pony," Johnathon said softly.

"Easier, maybe," Applejack agreed slowly, "but not necessarily better. Now, I think you make a fine pony, but you're just fine as a human too. I think you should do what makes you happy. Both of you."

Johnathon chuckled, then sighed. "We're trying. It's a bit difficult figuring that out... what will make us happiest."

Radiant Song spoke up. "I think you'll be happiest together, human or pony."

Johnathon smiled at that. "There's no denying that, at least," he turned to Applejack. "But enough of my convoluted love life. You said something about an archeology professor showing up? The team leader Celestia picked out for the expedition to the Castle of the Pony sisters?"

Applejack nodded. "That's the one. According to Twilight, she's darn near filled up half the Canterlot natural history museum by her lonesome," she chuckled. "and you should have seen the look on RD's face when she got a good look at her... she plumb fainted dead away," Applejack was chuckling now. "Funniest thing I've seen in a year."

Johnathon blinked. "Rainbow Dash fainted? Why on Earth... I mean, why would she do that?"

Applejack chuckled. "Apparently Professor Rose... her real name is Briar Rose, I hear, apparently she's the spitting image of Dash's hero... Daring Do."

Johnathon just blinked. "Huh. I would have sworn that series was fiction."

*********************************************

Applejack walked home, still chuckling lightly to herself over Johnathon's reaction, and found herself slowing as she passed the library, noticing the pair of royal guardsponies still standing calmly outside the front entrance to Twilight's tree. She nodded to them once, getting a small nod from them in return, and continued on toward Sweet Apple Acres with a more thoughtful expression.

"Johnathon ain't the only new stallion in Ponyville that's a might handsome..." she muttered to herself with a small grin, "and I already know one of them happens to find my hindquarters a bit distracting..." Applejack chuckled despite herself, not sure how she really felt about the idea that Shining Star liked her looks. On one hoof, it was flattering that he noticed, but on the other hoof, did she really have any interest in a stallion who was only interested in her physically?

"What if I am?" she grumbled self consciously, arguing with her more pessimistic side, "besides, didn't he say he respected me for standing up for the Princess, didn't he?" Applejack frowned as she walked. "But what if that's all it was? He's a royal guard, and I protected his princess... maybe he was just grateful for that, and he was checking out my... flank because he was thinking about if I was strong enough to do the job proper."

Applejack thought of the golden suit of guard armor currently stored under the loose board in the back of her closet, and wondered. "We're going into the Everfree... maybe I should wear it? It doesn't have to mean anything. Just being careful on a dangerous trip... and respectful of a thoughtful gift. It doesn't mean I'm trying to get anypony's attention or nothin."

Applejack sighed. "Darn it... I can't even lie to myself. Why am I so hot and bothered about some guard from Canterlot? It's not like a royal guard is going to leave his job to come work on a farm, and there ain't no way I'd move away from Sweet Apple acres again, so there ain't no use in thinking about it." Applejack signed and kept walking, knowing that, despite the reality of things, she would be hard pressed not to think about the stoic white unicorn stallion guard for the rest of the day. Her thoughts drifted for a moment to how nice Johnathon looked as an Earth Pony, and she shook her head to clear the image from her mind. "Dang it! This is all Twilight's fault! Stupid sexy transformation spell."

************************************************

Briar Rose, Shining Star, Bright Lance, Spitfire and Soarn' all gathered out front of the Ponyville library just a few minutes before seven in the morning. Moment's later, Twilight Sparkle opened her front door and joined them, wearing a loaded set of saddlebags bearing her cutie mark.

"Good morning, professor," Twilight said with a smile. "Did you sleep alright?"

"Just fine," Briar Rose answered with a casual nod, glancing casually up and down the street. "How about you?"

"I had a bit of trouble getting to sleep last night... this is just so exciting!" Twilight gushed enthusiasitcally. "I hope everypony gets here on time," she brightened as she spotted a familiar face coming down the street. "Oh! Rarity's here! Good morning Rarity!"

"Good morning, Twilight." Rarity said, giving a polite nod as she sauntered up, wearing a fashionable yet functional light pink jacket with half a dozen handy pockets and a pair of bulging saddlebags. She trotted smoothly up to Twilight before turning to the purple unicorn with a small pout. "I neglected to ask, Twilight, darling, is our trip today to be just a day trip, or are we planning on staying the night..." she grimaced, "roughing it in the Everfree forest."

Twilight blinked. "Well, I plan on staying at the site during the majority of the dig, but not everypony will be doing the same. I know that some ponies will be coming back to Ponyville to make supply runs, and of course, delivering messages. Still, it's probably going to take weeks before we're done."

Rarity grimaced. "Oh dear... weeks?" she sighed. "I don't suppose you'll need my assistance during that entire time?"

Twilight looked thoughtful. "Well, aside from assisting at the dig, I'll be working on my own dimensional gate research while I'm there. I should be able to manage on my own for the first few days, but once I'm satisfied I can open a small portal, even if it's only for a few moments, I'll need your help to cast the human detection spell through the portal. It's the only way we'll know... or at least be relatively sure, that I'm opening a portal to the correct dimension."

Rarity took a steadying breath, and nodded. "Very well, weeks it is. I'll simply have to come back for the rest of my things later."

Briar Rose chuckled at her. "If it helps, Fancy Pants will be bringing along a whole team in a few more days. Porters, diggers, the works. We'll have a small village set up at the site soon enough."

Rarity brightened considerably at that. "Fancy Pants is coming? This trip is looking up already!"

Pinkie Pie bounced up next to Rarity, grinning. "Neato! It sounds like we'll get to meet a bunch of new ponies too! And you know what that means!"

"A party," Rarity and Twilight said together before glancing at each other with nearly identical grins.

"A PARTY!" Pinkie agreed gleefully, obviously already looking forward to it.

Fluttershy came up the street just behind Pinkie, smiling faintly at Pinkie's excitement, although looking mildly confused at the same time. "Are we celebrating something special?" she asked quietly as she joined the small group.

As Pinkie began to explain why her plans to celebrate meeting all the new ponies she was about to meet to a confused but patient Fluttershy, Briar Rose glanced up in time to spot a trail of color heading their way from a cloud house in the distance. Only moments later, Rainbow Dash came to a hover above them, slowly lowering herself to land in their midst, her jaw dropping slightly while staring at Briar Rose. She was wearing a khaki green buttoned shirt with a number of pockets on the front, which was, coincidentally almost identical to what Briar Rose herself was dressed in.

Rainbow Dash tore her eyes away from her idol, and looked sheepishly at the ground. "Er... you said... pockets were good, right?"

Briar Rose's eyebrow twitched as she took in the rainbow maned pegasus' attire, and she spoke up with a slightly sarcastic expression on her face. "What, no pith helmet?"

Rainbow Dash winced. "Er... my Daring Do costume was kind of the only outfit I own with pockets...." she explained, looking embarrassed.

Briar Rose shook her head and chuckled. "Damn, kid. You're going to end up embarrassing me at this rate."

Rainbow Dash flushed, but lifted her head, looking embarrassed, but too curious not to ask. "So... you don't really wear a pith helmet then?"

Briar Rose's eyes flashed angrily, her good humor broken, but before she said anything in reply Twilight interrupted. "Oh look! There's Applejack!" Twilight blinked and took a second look, as if unsure. "Er... I think?"

Applejack's face started to redden as the whole group turned to stare at her. She was wearing her usual stetson, but at the same time, she had apparently donned the golden suit of armor gifted to her by the royal guards, minus the helmet. She wore a sensible set of saddlebags over the armor, and was obviously growing more than a little uncomfortable at the attention she was garnering.

"It's dangerous in the Everfree..." she muttered as she came within casual speaking distance. "armor was just gathering dust anyway..."

"Looks good on you." Shining Star commented with a grin, not hiding the fact that he was getting a good look.

"It's a sensible precaution." Bright Lance agreed. "Although if you're not used to moving in armor, it can be more trouble than it's worth. I'd be glad to give you some pointers as we go, Miss Applejack."

Shining Star gave his commanding officer a little glare before stepping forward. "I can handle that, Captain. There's going to be a lot for you to keep track of, with all these ponies to guard, after all."

Bright Lance frowned slightly before snorting good humoredly. "As you say, Lieutenant."

Briar Rose glanced around at the nearly empty streets, then frowned lightly. "We're still missing that human of yours... is he always late like this?"

Twilight frowned as well, looking worried. "Not usually. Johnathon is pretty good about being punctual. Maybe something came up? I hope he's...." she trailed off as her eyes brightened, and pointed down the street. "Oh! There he is!"

Johnathon Dwire was jogging toward them, a set of saddlebags slung over his right shoulder. He was wearing the desert lion mane-hair gloves he had gotten from Rarity, and a heavy leather work belt around his waist. The belt had numerous pockets for tools, which were filled with several small closed tool kits, and a multipurpose hammer. Hanging from a long strap attached to the belt on his right hip, and crossing over his left shoulder, was a long, slightly curved sword in a lacquered wooden scabbard which hung across his back, the hilt sticking up over his left shoulder-blade. Finally, a neat coil of rope hung from a handy hook on the belt. Underneath, his plain, dark blue shirt, blue jeans and comfortable looking boots belied his otherwise rather intimidating appearance.

Rainbow Dash whistled. "Wow... you look like you're ready for anything...."

Johnathon glanced down at himself and smiled a bit sheepishly, then shrugged. "Better over-prepared then unprepared. The stories you all have told me about the Everfree... well, it sounds like just about anything could happen in there."

Applejack brought a hoof up to her forehead with a smack. "Darn it! Rope! I knew I forgot something!"

Briar Rose chuckled lightly, and clapped the earth pony farmer on the shoulder. "The other four guards are up at the trail-head that leads into the forest with a load of gear, including quite a bit of rope, Applejack. I'm sure they won't mind if you volunteer to take some off their hooves."

Applejack hesitated, then nodded. "I reckon that'll do."

Twilight Sparkle approached Johnathon with wide eyes, walking around behind him to take a look at the sword on his back. "Is that an actual griffon war blade?"

The tall man glanced curiously over his shoulder as Twilight examined the sword's scabbard and hilt carefully. "It is!" she announced excitedly. "From the markings, it's probably from the last major griffon/pegasi conflict, over three hundred years ago! It's in remarkable condition," she paused. "Did you know that Griffon warriors used these in mid air combat? They would fly past an opponent at high speed, slashing as they went by...."

Johnathon turned to face her, smiling fondly at the purple unicorn. "I should have known you'd know all about classical griffon weaponry, Twilight. This particular sword was a gift to me from the royal guards."

Twilight nodded, then frowned. "But why are you carrying it, Johnathon? We're not expecting a fight... are we?"

Johnathon Dwire shrugged. "Hope for the best, plan for the worst, that's my motto. I suppose I could go with. 'Be prepared' but it's been ages since I was a boy scout."

Briar Rose coughed lightly, gaining their attention once again. "Well, I have no complaint with being prepared. Seeing as we're all here, however, I believe we should get under way," a general murmur of agreement followed, and in moments, Briar Rose was leading the way towards the Everfree forest.

As promised, the remaining four royal guards, a pair of pegasi and two unicorns, along with a couple strong looking earth ponies from around town, were waiting just outside the forest with a stack of supplies. Briar Rose moved up to the supplies and pulled out a battered looking pair of saddle bags, which she put on before going through the rest with a keen eye.

"OK, we'll want this, and this... and all of these..." she pointed to several bags in a row, glancing back at the group behind her thoughtfully before waving a hoof at the rest of the piled gear. "The rest of the gear can wait till Fancy's group arrives. We don't want to be too weighed down on our first trip out to the site."

Distributing the bags the archeologist had picked out among themselves, the royal guards got themselves prepared before forming a line in front of Bright Lance and Shining Star, as if waiting for further orders.

Bright Lance nodded immediately to one of the pegasi, then the other. "Morning Star, you're with Rainbow Dash. Glory, you're with Fluttershy," he turned to the pair of unicorns. "Hammer, you're with Pinkie, and Aegis, you're with Rarity. Any questions?"

The four guardsponies shook their heads once, and he nodded firmly. "Right. You've got your assignments. Let's move," glancing at his partner, he grinned slightly. "Well then, I've got Twilight, which leaves Applejack to you. You wanted to... give her some pointers on how to move... in armor, right?"

Shining Star glanced back at the orange earth pony, then turned back to his superior officer with a blank expression. "Yes sir, that I did."

Bright Lance chuckled again, then nodded. "Just keep it professional..." he warned quietly.

Shining Star glanced over his shoulder, to make sure no pony was listening before glaring at his partner. "You know me better than that, Lance."

Bright Lance glanced at Applejack thoughtfully. "I do know you, Star, but this one isn't your average mare."

"Of course not!" Shining Star hissed back. "She's not some prissy Canterlot noble, she can handle a bit of trouble..."

Bright Lance nodded. "Which is what's got me worried. You like them tough."

Shining Star winced. "I'll stay professional, alright? Don't worry about that."

Briar Rose glanced over at them from the entrance to the forest and called back loud enough for them to hear clearly. "Are you two ready to go, or is there something I need to know about?"

Bright Lance turned to her and saluted sharply. "All ready here, Ma'am!" he gave Shining Star one final warning look before trotting over to stand next to Twilight.

Briar Rose looked over the group thoughtfully as everyone, pony and human, gathered before the entrance to the forest. "Alright, we'll travel double file. I'll lead... Twilight, you and Captain Lance can take the rear, alright?"

Twilight blinked. "Rear?" she hesitated before speaking up. "Well... I'm usually the one leading..."

Briar Rose raised an eyebrow at the younger mare. "Understood, which is why I'm trusting you to take the rear guard position. It's your job to make sure no pony gets left behind... and if they do, to get everypony safely to our destination."

Twilight looked slightly chastised, but nodded firmly in response. "Yes Professor."

Briar Rose looked at the rest thoughtfully, then pointed at Johnathon. "Since everypony else is partnered up, you're with me on point," she told him decisively, then waved her hoof dismissively at the others. "Everypony else... follow me and try not to get into too much trouble," with that, the Professor spun smartly and started walking swiftly into the woods.

The two earth ponies remained behind with the remaining baggage, watching them go.

"Huh," Caramel commented thoughtfully as Twilight and Bright Lance disappeared into the distance. "I hope they'll be alright."

Time Turner, who had offered, along with Caramel, to help with Briar Rose's extra supplies, chuckled wryly. "Knowing that bunch, I'd be more worried for whatever they encounter. I highly doubt there is anything in the Everfree that that group can't handle."

Caramel shrugged and started to gather up the remaining supplies left behind. "If you say so. I know I wouldn't want to go in there."

Time Turner looked thoughtfully into the woods before moving to help. "I don't know... if anything, it's likely to be very interesting."