• Published 22nd Sep 2013
  • 3,994 Views, 644 Comments

Brother Against Sister - CartsBeforeHorses



Teenage Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake are fighting on opposite sides of a civil war in Equestria. Now completed.

  • ...
22
 644
 3,994

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15: Piece of Cake

Pound Cake’s head sat on his cloud pillow as his eyes opened. He restlessly gazed out into the night sky, his foggy breath illuminated by the brightly shining stars above. Shivering, he pulled his jacket tighter around his body. Even in early May, the sky at this altitude was frigid.

He had been living alone for the last month, a vagrant ever since Spitfire had to go to lead her troops in battle. Though he had taken care of himself just fine on his own, he still wished more than anything that he had somepony to call family.

Sadly, he had none. His parents were both dead, his adoptive mother was on the battlefield, and he had no idea where his sister was. He had contemplating flying up to the northern Flatlands to look for her, thinking that Blueblood might have moved her and the other young unicorn children there to farm. But even for a skilled flyer like he was, it would be a suicide mission. He imagined there would be snipers everywhere ready to shoot any pegasi flying over the Second Kingdom.

Briefly, he had considered flying to try to find Rainbow Dash. Perhaps, given her connections, Rainbow Dash could find him a home or guardian as she had done with Spitfire, but Pound had no idea where to look for her. Maybe she was in Cloudsdale, maybe Manehattan. Both were huge cities, and finding her would be difficult, especially since he didn’t even know where to start looking.

Earlier, he had tried flying up to Manehattan to ask the Princess if she knew where Pinkie Pie was. Pinkie and Twilight had been good friends, after all, and Pinkie Pie had been much like an older sister to Pound and Pumpkin. But, after Pound had flown all the way to Manehattan to visit the palace, Twilight Sparkle wasn’t there. The guards said the princess was off coordinating the war effort in Tall Tale and wouldn’t be available until the battle finished. So that left Pound without a lead for the time being.

He wondered about going to an orphanage and just asking to be put up for adoption, but figured that idea would be fruitless. The orphanages were all bound to be full up with children because of the war.

These thoughts and others filled his head as he tried to go back to sleep. He was nearly out of options. As he rested his head on the cloud pillow, a distant light caught his eye.

His head jolted up. Of course. Why didn’t I think of it sooner?

The Everfree Forest: May 2023

Pumpkin Cake’s eyes darted from side to side as she navigated through the bushes and thickets of the Everfree Forest. She made sure to remain hidden behind trees or bushes before checking if the coast was clear. She also wore a dark, hooded cloak to camouflage her bright orange mane and coat.

In the two months since she had encountered the Second Kingdom soldiers and scared them away, she had yet to see any more of them walking around the forest, but she still didn’t want to let her guard down.

Last month, Pumpkin Cake had told Zecora about the incident with the soldiers, and Zecora had asked if she would patrol the Everfree Forest near Ponyville daily. After all, Zecora reasoned, if the Second Kingdom soldiers had made their way into the forest and had spoken about taking it before, how long would they wait until they tried again? If Pumpkin saw any soldiers, she was to run back to alert Zecora so that they could get a head start and run off to Dodge Junction.

Pumpkin Cake was shocked that she hadn’t seen any more soldiers in the forest in the last month. Perhaps her stunt had scared them away, or perhaps they were simply biding their time. After all, the Everfree Forest was just a forest. Surely they had other, bigger objectives.

Indeed, Pumpkin Cake had seen barges on the Everfree River. She had no idea what they were for, but there were only unicorns on them, so she figured they must have been from the Second Kingdom. Perhaps they were military supply vessels, or barges loaded with goods for trading with the Zebra Empire.

As Pumpkin Cake walked along the dirt road, she noticed that the trees were becoming thinner and thinner, and that more light was hitting the forest floor from the canopy. Soon, she reached a point where she could see that there were no more trees.

The end of the Everfree Forest, she observed. She hadn’t ventured this far north in some time, given that she wanted to avoid any more potential run-ins with unicorn soldiers, and she tried to stay out of sight.

She gazed towards the thatched-roof cottages of Ponyville in the distance. Despite the three years of warfare, the town still looked virtually identical to how it had looked before. A few homes had been burnt in the war and its aftermath; their blackened, charred skeletons sticking out among the colorful crowd of houses, but the majority of them still stood.

Pumpkin Cake peeked out of the bushes on the edge of the forest. She didn’t know what she was so scared of. She doubted that there were wanted posters with her face hanging up all over town. Unless she ran into soldiers who happened to recognize her and know that she was a fugitive, she doubted that they would try to shoot or arrest her on the spot, particularly since she was a unicorn.

Come to think of it, was she even a fugitive? She had always just taken it for granted that, ever since she had escaped from Sweet Apple Acres, every soldier in Ponyville had been keeping their eyes out for her. But that probably wasn’t realistic. There were over a hundred other unicorn fillies and colts who the Second Kingdom had captured in Ponyville, and probably even more from the other towns that the Second Kingdom had captured. She doubted that she was missed as much as she thought that she was.

Now, after her encounter with the three soldiers who she had scared off, and the sergeant who she wounded, she might very well be a wanted mare, but that, too, she was beginning to have her doubts about. Would three grown stallions really admit to being scared off by a thirteen-year-old mare? Even if so, there were plenty of mares matching her description closely enough. Orange-maned mares were pretty common, and she remembered one from Ponyville who had a particular fondness for carrots.

Pumpkin Cake contemplated going into Ponyville and taking a look around. After all, even if there were a lot of soldiers, she doubted they’d recognize her. Besides, she had been cooped up in the forest for months. The only time that she ever got to go anywhere was on her infrequent trips to Dodge Junction with Zecora, and she hadn’t been to her hometown of Ponyville since she had escaped from Sweet Apple Acres.

After all, if she wasn’t a fugitive and if nopony recognized her, then she had been worrying all this time for nothing. She was rather curious as to what fate had befallen Ponyville in the few years since the war started. She also wanted to catch up with her friends from Ponyville Elementary. Maybe she could even find out what happened to Pinkie Pie. The pink mare was the closest pony to an older sister that Pumpkin had ever had, and she missed her almost as much as she missed her brother.

Glancing around, she peered her head out of the outermost trees of the forest. She could see the path into Ponyville. Except for a single soldier, the road was deserted.

I’ll just play it casual and walk right past him. If he recognizes me, I’ll teleport into the forest and escape before he calls any of his buddies, she decided.

Keeping her cloak on, she started down the path, her hooves slightly trembling with each step. Her heart raced as she came closer and closer to the buildings at the edge of town. Then, the soldier turned to face her.

Act natural. He won’t suspect a thing.

“Stop right there,” he said coolly, holding up a hoof. “Where is your pass?”

“...Pass?” asked Pumpkin Cake, raising an eyebrow.

“Yes. All earth ponies and pegasi are required to have a pass to travel within areas under Second Kingdom control. If you don’t have it, I’m going to have to take you into custody.”

“Oh, that pass!” said Pumpkin Cake. “Well, seeing as how I’m a unicorn, I don’t need one of those, do I?”

She removed her hood, revealing her horn.

“Ah, a member of the master race,” said the guard, smiling. “You’re free to come and go as you please. Though why were you in the Everfree Forest? It’s rather dangerous for a mare your age. There are deadly manticores and timberwolves lurking about.”

Pumpkin Cake remained silent for a moment, thinking. A few seconds later, she said, “I got lost in the woods behind my house. Turns out that they’re connected to the Everfree Forest.”

“I see,” said the soldier. “Well, head on home to your parents, young lady. And be sure to keep your hood down so that ponies can see that you are a unicorn, and you won’t be given any trouble.”

Pumpkin Cake continued along the path, breathing a sigh of relief that the guard had bought her story. It wasn’t entirely a lie. Getting lost was how she ended up in the Everfree Forest initially. Several years ago, sure, but still.

She continued into the town. As she walked, she noticed that the houses weren’t quite the same as she remembered them. When she had lived in Ponyville, all of the houses were well-kept, with fresh coats of paint, flower beds on the windowsills, and new siding. The lawns were green and mowed, and the hedges were trimmed. But now, paint peeled from the sidings. The flower boxes on the window sills were empty, full of dry dirt. Weeds grew in the lawns, which were brown and patchy. The streets outside the houses were covered in trash.

Eventually, she reached the marketplace, about halfway to the bakery where she used to live. She had been to the marketplace several times as a filly, with her parents when they bought flour and eggs. Many ponies once stood at the stalls buying and selling all variety of food, from apples to almonds. She remembered ponies smiling and exchanging bits, with negotiation and haggling at every stall. Ponies stood around the market stall chatting with each other.

Now, though, it was nothing like that. Half the stalls were abandoned. Those which remained had only a small selection of goods. Rather than speaking with one another and smiling, ponies walked around with shifty eyes, not bothering to even say hello to one another.

Pumpkin noticed a few of the ponies glaring at her. She had no idea why, but noticed something odd: only earth ponies and pegasi were at the market, with the exception of a few Second Kingdom guards who stood around to square, levitating assault rifles in front of them. She didn’t know if they were there to stop thieves, or if they were there just to intimidate the townsponies. If it was the latter, that made sense, but if it was the former, she doubted that there would be much to steal.

She contemplated buying an apple, since she was quite hungry, but ultimately decided against it. She only had a few bits on her, and they were all Equestrian. Also, she wasn’t sure if any of the market stalls accepted the currency, or if they used Second Kingdom money now.

“Aren’t you too good for us, unicorn?”

She turned around and saw an earth stallion walking by her, glaring at her. “Why don’t you go back north of the tracks? You tax us to death, you take our houses, you--”

Suddenly, Pumpkin Cake heard a loud smacking sound as a unicorn guard hit the earth stallion with a rifle butt, knocking him to the ground.

“Quiet, dirt pony! Know your place!” the guard commanded, whacking him several more times with the rifle butt.

The guard glanced at Pumpkin Cake and smiled. “If anypony insults you or another member of the master race, let me know, young mare, and I’ll do exactly what I did just now.”

Pumpkin Cake’s eyes widened as she glanced down at the fallen stallion, who had a black eye and several bruises on his face. She nodded at the guard, and continued down the street, past the marketplace. Her heart beat in her chest. What horrible fate had befallen her hometown?

As she walked, she reached the train tracks that bisected the town into north and south, as they had always done. But whereas before, ponies could cross the tracks freely, there were now guards standing just beyond the tracks, levitating assault rifles in their magic. A sign stood by the street which said, “UNICORNS ONLY BEYOND THIS POINT.”

Though it wasn’t in the direction of her home, her curiosity compelled her to visit the unicorn section of town.

She continued down the street, the guards not paying her any mind. As she walked, she noticed a drastic change from the south side of Ponyville. The houses here were well-kept, their lawns freshly mowed, and their exteriors freshly painted. The cobblestone streets were tidy and swept, and not a single piece of trash stood anywhere.

As she walked, she noticed that, unlike the rest of town, the market stalls and shops were all stocked full of goods. Unlike in the south side of town, most of the ponies here had smiles on their faces, and laughed and made small talk with one another. They were also 100% unicorn.

Looks like Blueblood’s segregated the town, Pumpkin Cake concluded. She theorized that perhaps he was trying to pit the townsponies against one another to discourage a rebellion. If the rude stallion from before was any indication, it seemed to be working.

She continued along until a familiar sight caught her eye: Carousel Boutique. She remembered Rarity a little bit, though she wouldn’t have considered the fashionista a close friend, since she was considerably older than Pumpkin Cake.

Even Sweetie Belle had already graduated from school by the time that Pumpkin Cake turned ten years old and the war started. But, during Pinkie Pie’s frequent parties, Pumpkin and Pound had interacted with them, and she knew them fairly well. Well enough, at least, to see how they were doing. She walked over, hesitated for just a second, and then knocked on the door to Carousel Boutique.

After a few moments, Sweetie Belle opened the door.

“Already said that there’s nopony but me--” Sweetie Belle started, glancing at Pumpkin Cake. “Wait a minute. You’re not one of them. What do you want?”

“Uh, I was hoping to talk to Rarity or Sweetie Belle?” asked Pumpkin Cake.

“And who are you?” asked Sweetie Belle, narrowing her eyebrows.

Pumpkin Cake glanced behind her and around the street before answering. “The Cakes' daughter, remember?”

Sweetie Belle paused for a moment, glared at her mane and coat, and then responded, “Pumpkin Cake? I thought you were taken by the Second Kingdom to grow crops!”

“Shh,” Pumpkin Cake said, gesturing with her hoof for Sweetie Belle to keep it down. “I escaped, and I’m living with Zecora. Try not to spread that around, would you? I don’t want them knowing who I am.”

“Sorry,” Sweetie said, blushing. “Come in, we can talk inside.”

Sweetie Belle opened the door and Pumpkin Cake walked in. She removed her cloak and placed it on the coat rack, and Sweetie Belle gestured for her to have a seat.

“Oh, you have your cutie mark!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed, smiling as she eyed it curiously. “What’s it supposed to be? A picture of a pony? How’s that a special talent? Are you good at being a pony? Isn’t everypony?”

Pumpkin Cake giggled. “It’s a long story.”

“Well, I have time. Only a few ponies have been coming by here, anyway, so it’s not like we’ll have many customers.”

We?” asked Pumpkin Cake. “I thought you said that you were the only one here?”

“Well…” Sweetie Belle started. “Can you keep a secret?”

“Sure,” said Pumpkin.

Sweetie Belle leaned in towards Pumpkin Cake and said, “Scootaloo and Apple Bloom are here, too.”

“Oh? How is that a secret?” asked Pumpkin Cake.

“They’re non-unicorns in the unicorn-only area of town, duh!” Sweetie said, rolling her eyes.

“Oh, right,” said Pumpkin, blushing. She still had to keep from pinching herself at the idea that Ponyville was now a racially segregated town, divided by the train tracks which once stood as nothing more than something for trains to travel on.

“We were always good friends, and we didn’t want to let some stupid war split us up. Even though Blueblood said that the races aren’t meant to live together, and even though he forced all the earth ponies and pegasi out of this area of town, I still let them live here.”

“Seems dangerous,” said Pumpkin Cake. “Why not just have them move out, and go visit them on the south side of the tracks? I was over there earlier this afternoon. The Second Kingdom doesn’t seem to mind if unicorns visit the south side, just not vice versa.”

Sweetie Belle sighed. “They would live there and have me visit them, but the south side is no place to live. The unicorn soldiers go around to all the farms, market stalls, and shops and take most of the goods as tribute, leaving the non-unicorns hardly enough to scrape by. They abuse all the ponies who live there, and will beat ponies within an inch of their lives for even looking at them funny. They throw their trash all over like it’s a dumping ground. They won’t even let the south side water their lawns, because it wastes water that unicorns could be using.”

“Sounds about right, given what I saw when I was there,” said Pumpkin. “They’re nothing but bullies.”

Sweetie Belle nodded, a disgusted look on her face.

“Anyway…” she said, “Let me go get Scootaloo and Apple Bloom.”

Sweetie Belle walked up the stairs and soon returned with her Crusader friends.

“This is Pumpkin Cake,” said Sweetie Belle. “She’s Mr. and Mrs. Cake’s daughter.”

“Of course I know who she is!” exclaimed Apple Bloom, rushing over and giving Pumpkin Cake a hug. “How could I forget! We were at her baby shower when she was born, and we were at all her birthday parties!”

“Pinkie Pie really knew how to throw a party, huh?” said Scootaloo. “Especially for you and your brother. Those were some of the biggest ones she threw.”

“Well, she always said that since we were twins, we’d have to have twice as big of a birthday party as normal,” Pumpkin recalled. “Speaking of, have you heard anything from her? I sorta came into town hoping that I would see her. I miss her.”

“She stayed behind to take care of the bakery,” said Scootaloo. “You can probably go and find her there.”

“I will,” said Pumpkin Cake. “Thanks for the information, and it’s nice to see you three again.”

“You too, Pumpkin Cake,” said Scootaloo.

“Y’all come back now!” said Apple Bloom.

“Bye!” said Sweetie Belle.

Just as Pumpkin Cake walked towards the front door, she drew back as she heard a pounding right at the door.

“Open up! This is the police!”

The color drained from Pumpkin Cake’s face as she turned back to look at Sweetie Belle.

“Go upstairs!” Sweetie urgently whispered. Scootaloo and Apple Bloom tip-toed up the stairs. Pumpkin Cake followed them, her heart pounding in her chest. Did one of the soldiers recognize her and come to take her away? Or did they find out about the non-unicorns living with Sweetie Belle?

Once they were upstairs, they reached a hallway with three doors. One door stood at the very end of the hallway, and one door stood on either side of the hallway. Apple Bloom and Scootaloo went into the door on the right side of the hallway. Pumpkin Cake followed, and they closed the door behind them.

Pumpkin Cake glanced around. It was a small guest bedroom with a single bed. The bed didn’t have enough room to hide under, and there was no closet.

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom’s eyes widened.

“They’ve come looking for us again,” said Scootaloo.

“Sweetie Belle buys more food than she can eat. Since there’s a food shortage and all, the neighbors got suspicious a while ago, so they turned us in,” Apple Bloom explained. “They search the house every now and then. We gotta hide.”

“This room isn’t exactly a great hiding spot,” said Pumpkin Cake. “The soldiers will open the door and see us. There’s no place to hide.”

“Hide-and-seek isn’t exactly our special talent,” said Scootaloo.

“Does this shop have a cellar or a hidden trapdoor or something?” asked Pumpkin Cake.

“A hidden trapdoor? No, it’s a dress shop!” Scootaloo exclaimed, keeping her voice to a whisper. “What would they need a hidden trapdoor for?”

“Inventory, I reckon,” whispered Apple Bloom.

“Why would they keep it hidden?” asked Scootaloo.

“Maybe it’s the super elite fashion that only special, super fancy ponies get to wear,” Apple Bloom theorized.

“We don’t have time for this discussion! No, there’s no trapdoor!” said Scootaloo, raising her voice to a normal volume.

“Okay, we gotta think of something. Let’s jump out the window,” said Apple Bloom.

“And be seen by everypony in town?” asked Scootaloo, frowning. “No tha--”

She cut herself off as she heard a single set of hoofsteps marching up the stairs.

“I’m searching every nook and cranny, and if I find any mud ponies in this house, I’ll execute them and you right here on the spot, race traitor!” they heard.

“And I’ll guard the base of the stairwell just incase they decide to sneak out behind your back,” said another voice.

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo froze, quivering. Pumpkin Cake powered up her horn, ready for a fight. But, they heard the door on the opposite side of the hallway open up first.

“That room has the attic entrance inside it. It’s a big attic with lots of hidin’ places in it, so that’s bought us some time to think while he looks,” said Apple Bloom.

“But we can’t go down the stairs; the other guard will see us,” said Scootaloo.

“Hmm,” said Pumpkin Cake. She racked her brain for a solution. Then, her face lit up as she got an idea.

“What’s in the room at the end of the hallway?”

“It’s the master bedroom. It has a big closet and a bathroom in it,” said Scootaloo.

“Good. Does either the closet or the bathroom share a wall with this room?”

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom raised their eyebrows.

“Uh, the bathroom shares a wall with this room,” said Apple Bloom. “But that doesn’t do us a lick’a good!”

“Yes it does,” said Pumpkin Cake. She walked over to the wall nearest the master bedroom, and cast her intangibility spell on it. She walked through the wall and saw that she was indeed in the bathroom, though it was pitch black without any of the lights on.

She stuck her head back through the wall, and motioned for the two Crusaders to follow her.

Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom blinked.

“Come on,” Pumpkin Cake urged in a whisper, “I cast a spell on the wall; you can walk right through it.”

Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom did as they were told, and followed Pumpkin Cake into the bathroom. Right after they did this, they heard the door to the guest bedroom open, where they had been just moments ago. They all breathed a heavy sigh of relief that they had just barely evaded detection.

Pumpkin Cake walked over to the bathroom door which led out into the master bedroom. She placed her ear against it. Only half a minute went by, though it felt like forever standing in the dark. Her heart pounded in her chest as she was aware of every creak.

Finally, she heard the door to the master bedroom open.

“Back into the other room!” she whispered, powering her horn back up as the three ponies went through the wall and back into the guest bedroom.

They saw that the guard had left the guest bedroom door open.

“Hide behind the door.”

The three ponies crowded behind the door as they heard the hoofsteps of the guard pass by as he walked down the hallway and back down the stairs.

“Our business here is done,” said the soldier. “No mud ponies here.”

“Sorry to disturb you, ma’am,” said the other soldier.

“Yeah,” Sweetie Belle said. “I keep telling you that I have a high metabolism, which is why I eat so much! No earth ponies or pegasi here.”

They heard the front door open as the two soldiers left.

As soon as they heard the door close, they all breathed a deep sigh of relief and got out from behind the guest bedroom door.

Pumpkin Cake turned back towards Scootaloo and Apple Bloom, who both had huge grins on their faces.

“That was awesome!” Scootaloo exclaimed.

“How in tarnation did you do that?” asked Apple Bloom.

“It’s an intangibility spell,” said Pumpkin Cake. “It’s my special talent.”

“Your special talent is what now?”

They turned and saw Sweetie Belle standing in the hallway, a puzzled look on her face.

“Oh, just this,” said Pumpkin Cake. She demonstrated her special talent by turning part of the bed intangible and sticking her hoof through it.

Sweetie Belle blinked. “That’s unusual. Never seen that spell before.”

“That’s all you have to say!?” Apple Bloom exclaimed. “She saved our hides!”

“Well, okay, it’s intriguing,” said Sweetie Belle.

Pumpkin Cake groaned. “Do you three always bicker?”

“Pretty much. We bickered from the time that we met in Ms. Cheerilee’s class until the time we got our cutie marks four years later!”

“Four years?

“Y’er darn tootin’,” said Apple Bloom. “We were late bloomers. It was almost like the stars were aligned against us gettin’ ‘em.”

“Almost like the universe was conspiring against us,” said Sweetie Belle.

“It was awful!” said Scootaloo. “If I didn’t know better, I’d say that a higher power was stopping us from getting them, just so that it could laugh at us for not having our special talents yet!”

“But when we finally got them…” said Apple Bloom.

“We rocked!” said Sweetie Belle.

“Emphasis on the past tense,” Apple Bloom noted. “There ain’t too many chances for us to do what we’re good at nowadays.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” said Pumpkin Cake. “Hopefully Equestria defeats the Second Kingdom and we can all live in peace again. And I’ll do whatever I can to help make that happen.”

“You seem like you’d be a mighty thorn in their side, what with that spell ‘n all,” said Apple Bloom.

The other two Crusaders nodded.

“Well, thanks for having me over,” said Pumpkin Cake. “I’m off to go see Pinkie Pie, and then I have to go back to Zecora’s before dark, or else she’ll worry about me.”

She gave each of them a hug, and then walked out the door.


Pumpkin Cake walked down the streets, crossing the train tracks. The sun was steadily making its way towards the western horizon, and the day had started to dim. In a few hours, it would be sunset. Pumpkin Cake wasn’t too worried, and figured she had plenty of time.

She finally reached her destination: Sugarcube Corner. The colorful exterior looked like it needed a fresh coat of paint, and the lawn was patchy and overgrown with weeds, but otherwise it looked similar to how Pumpkin Cake remembered it.

She walked up the steps, her heart pounding in her chest. She reached over with her hoof and knocked on the door three times.

After a few moments, the door swung open.

“Welcome to Sugarcube Co--”

Pinkie Pie stopped mid-sentence as she realized that she was looking at Pumpkin Cake. She opened her mouth up wide, and Pumpkin was worried that she’d scream and attract the guards’ attention.

Instead, Pinkie grabbed Pumpkin in her hooves, pulled her inside, and slammed the door shut behind her.

“PUMPKIN CAKE!” Pinkie screamed, now safely behind closed doors. She nearly asphyxiated Pumpkin Cake with a giant bear hug.

“Pinkie Pie!”

“I thought the Second Kingdom took you up to the Flatlands and forced you to farm for them!”

“They were going to, but I escaped,” said Pumpkin Cake. “I’ve been living with Zecora for the past few years. It’s so good to see you again!”

“Ah, I see you have your cutie mark! What’s it stand for?” asked Pinkie.

Pumpkin opened her mouth to speak, but then Pinkie said, “Wait, ooh, ooh, don’t tell me… It represents your intangibility spell that you used to escape from the unicorns and that you’ve been using to show those meanies in the Second Kingdom that they can’t just mess around with anypony they want to anymore?”

“Uh… yes, actually,” said Pumpkin Cake. She was going to ask Pinkie Pie how she knew all of this, but then remembered that she was talking to Pinkie Pie.

“Super duper! Oh, I’m so glad that you came back! After Mr. and Mrs. Cake died, I thought that I’d never see you again.”

Pinkie Pie then started singing a slow, sad-sounding song.

I almost gave up hope of finally seeing you again,
I feared that our friendship had finally met its end.
Since you’ve been gone, I’ve always wondered where you are
and hoped that one day, I could go that far.
I wondered long and hard what I would have to do
if I ever again wanted to share a smile with you.

The tempo of the song increased as Pinkie grinned from ear to ear and sang in a more upbeat tune.

I thought I’d have to climb a mountain, slay a fearsome drake,
swim across a deep, polluted, eel-infested lake,
fight off the Second Kingdom’s soldiers armed with just a rake,
kill an evil vampony without a wooden stake,
play the flute to charm a deadly poison rattlesnake,
eat a thousand apples and endure the tummy ache,
work a boring desk job for seven whole days straight,
and never leave my cubicle to take a coffee break.
Turns out I was mistaken and I’m glad for my mistake,
since finally meeting you again has been a piece of cake.

“Heh heh,” Pumpkin chuckled. “It actually wasn’t a problem getting into town. I thought I was a wanted mare or something, since I escaped from the farm. But I guess they didn’t recognize me, since I just walked into town, and it was pretty easy.”

“You could say it was... a cakewalk!” said Pinkie Pie. Pumpkin Cake groaned at the terrible pun, rolling her eyes.

“Speaking of, where’s your brother?” asked Pinkie.

“No idea. Last time I saw him was three years ago,” said Pumpkin Cake. She sighed, “I could’ve gone with him. If I had it to do over again, I would’ve. I was just too scared at the time. I guess that--”

Suddenly, the front door to the bakery slammed open. Pinkie Pie and Pumpkin Cake glanced over at it.

Pound Cake stood silently at the door, his eyes wide open. He wore a bomber jacket, and his mane was frazzled and messy.

Pumpkin Cake walked over to him, her jaw agape.

Neither of them spoke a word. Instead, they both embraced each other in a hug.

“Yay!” Pinkie exclaimed, “Now I get to sing my song again!

Author's Note:

A little bit of comic relief after all those serious parts ;)

PreviousChapters Next