• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 2,046 Views, 54 Comments

Ponies of the Five Rings - Simon_oSullivan



Legend of the Five Rings: Equestria Edition

  • ...
4
 54
 2,046

Chapter 3: The Greatest and Most Powerful. Part 1

Chapter III: The Greatest and Most Powerful

In the Jewel Lands, there existed one of the oldest and most prestigious sword fighting academies in the Empire. The Swift Strike dojo, the place where the Jewel Clan trained their best duelists. It was nearly impossible to get accepted unless one was an extraordinary swordpony, had a large amount of influence, or a combination of both. However, even that didn’t mean you would become a student there. Nopony would risk his or her reputation by recommending somepony who would prove themselves unworthy of such an indisputable honor, one that wasn’t given freely.

Silverspeed, the current master of the dojo, nodded in approval as his favorite student defeated her last adversary in the king of the hill-style tournament he had organized. Silver Spoon had become the best student of the Swift Strike dojo, and her skill with the sword was unmatched among her classmates. Some of the students didn’t have time to unsheathe their training swords before she lashed out at them with blinding speed. When she became the queen of the hill, most students sighed, for it was clear that nopony could beat her.

When the tournament was over, the rest of the students bowed gently with defeated eyes and left, leaving Silver Spoon with her master.

“You have done an excellent job, Silver Spoon,” she congratulated with an approving nod. “I’m sure you’ll win the gempukku’s sword fighting tournament without any problems,” she assured, referring to the coming-of-age test that would take place soon.

Silver Spoon bowed gracefully at the sound of those words. “I appreciate your words, master. We have to show that the Swift Strike is, like, the best fighting style in the Empire.”

Silverspeed snorted at Spoon’s comment. “I’ve gotten used to your arrogance, my dear.” She sounded more like a maternal figure at that moment. ”I am proud to see that you’ve learnt far more than just to swing a sword. I'm glad you could put those pesky manners of yours aside.”

“Master, I don’t think that talking about my past is appropriate,” she giggled as she looked away, a light blush reddening her face.

“On the contrary, my dear. You have proven yourself worthy and you’ve grown up psychologically as well as physically, something that we expect from all of you. You may leave. Keep practicing, though. I’ll see you at the tournament.”

Silver Spoon bowed gracefully before turning around and leaving the training grounds. As she got to the main training hall, she took a look at the mirror, admiring her own reflection. She was taller and had a fitter complexion than the average pony. Her necklace still decorated her neck after all these years. She still wore glasses too, even though during several duels, her fellow students had destroyed them with barely missed blows and they had to be repaired or totally replaced. Her braid almost brushed the floor, and her sword rested on her side.

With an arrogant smile, she turned around and walked towards the main door. At the building’s doorway, her old friend, Diamond Tiara, was waiting for her after witnessing her training. She was wearing a larger, richer decorated tiara than when she was younger, and was dressed in an expensive-looking white and blue kimono.

“Outstanding, Silver Spoon!” applauded Diamond Tiara as her friend approached. “You’ve showed those losers who’s the best out there!”

“Why, thank you, Tiara,” she replied with a humble bow. “It has been too much hard work, but it has definitely been worth it. After winning this tournament, Master Silverspeed has given me the ‘Sword Mistress’ title.”

“Sword Mistress?” She raised an eyebrow, her face showing skepticism about what her friend was talking about.

Silver Spoon nodded proudly. “Yes, Sword Master is the moniker given to the best student of the Swift Strike dojo or, in my case as a mare, Sword Mistress. If I keep practicing and mastering the style, I could become the next teacher.”

“Outstanding, Silver Spoon!” cheered Tiara. “That means our plans are still on the run!”

“Plans? Like, what are you talking about?”

“You mean you don’t remember? Your skill with the sword and my political influence combined could get us to the highest ranks among the Jewel Clan, even becoming the new clan leaders!”

“Oh, that,” she replied with a lack of enthusiasm. “I won’t do such a thing, Tiara. Sorry.”

“What do you mean ‘you won’t do such a thing’? You promised me!”

Silver Spoon sighed heavily. “Things have changed, like, a lot, Tiara. We’re not fillies anymore. We’re grown-up mares and we have to act accordingly.”

“And that means we have to give up our plans?”

“As I recall, they were, like, your plans.”

“You’re still backing down!”

“Listen, Tiara,” Silver Spoon grunted as she turned around, scowling at her friend. “The coming-of-age test is coming up in a few days. After passing, we’ll be full-fledged samurais. We’ll have a duty to protect and serve our superiors. And Lady Rarity has proven herself worthy of being where she is, and I shall never turn my sword against her.” She raised a hoof before Tiara as soon as she opened her mouth, knowing what she was going to say. “Not even for you, Diamond Tiara.”

“What has happened to you, Spoon?” she demanded, exasperated. “You’re not the same filly I used to know!”

“That’s, like, obvious,” Silverspoon replied, rolling her eyes as she looked back at the dojo. “I’m not a filly anymore. I’ve learned much more than just sword fighting. I’ve learned discipline, to respect my rivals, to know my place in the Empire. In a nutshell, I’ve learned how to be a samurai. I expected you would have learned something too in all these years. I’m, like, quite surprised that you still have some of those foalish ideas.” She shook her head in disappointment.

“Foalish?” spat Tiara, stepping forward. “Do you really think that my plans are foalish?”

“Are you, like, sure that speaking to the Swift Strike dojo’s Sword Mistress in such a tone is a good idea?” she threatened with a confident smirk.

Tiara turned her head, looking askance at her friend as she hushed. “Not that it matters, Silver Spoon. You may have mastered the way of the sword, but I have the political power. Remember that my father is the clan’s treasurer, and I will inherit the position someday. Are you really sure you want to throw away such an opportunity?”

“I serve my clan, Tiara, and that means protecting it from any threat, even if a friend of mine tries to damage it in any way. If you dare to sabotage Rarity in order to become the Jewel Clan leader, I’ll do everything I can to try to stop you.”

“Humph.” Tiara humphed, tossing her hair as she turned her back to Silver Spoon “I guess that’s a yes.” She scraped her hoof over the ground, throwing dust and earth in Spoon’s direction. “No matter, I’m sure I can get another champion that’ll fight for me when the time comes. See you later, ‘Sword Mistress’.”

Diamond Tiara sniffed, and trotted out with an arrogant gait. Silver Spoon felt as if she had a weight on her chest as she saw her friend leaving. For a moment, she felt bad about what had happened. She wanted to go and talk to her about that plan they discussed all those years ago, but they were foolish ideas that went nowhere, and she knew it. As a samurai and duelist, her sword would serve her clan and the Empire.

I’ll try to reason with her at the gempukku, she thought, trying to appease the unpleasant feelings crawling inside her mind. Becoming Rarity’s second-in-command, with me controlling Tiara to avoid some bad ideas, could still be possible. Let’s see how everything goes.

-o-

Lyra and Pipsqueak were having a training session over the lake next to the shrine. Their hoofsteps created soft waves on the water as they walked. She had her forelegs crossed in front of her and stood on her hind legs, looking at how her student spat some water. He was completely wet, his mane partially covering his face.

“You have to focus, Pipsqueak,” advised Lyra. “You know how to align your chi with the elements, but you have to control it while doing different things.”

“I’m trying, Lyra,” he replied, taking a combat stance while facing his master.

“Trying is not enough!”

Lyra charged towards Pipsqueak, pulling back her right forehoof for a strong punch. He didn’t try to dodge it, blocking it with his foreleg instead, followed by a bull rush that pushed Lyra backwards. However, before he was able to grab her in a hug, she performed a backflip and landed safely a couple of feet away from him, shaking her head in disapproval.

“Nice block, but a rather slow counterattack. You’ll need more than that a real fight,” warned Lyra as she stepped back, extending her front legs.

Pipsqueak backed up slowly as well, taking a defensive stance and staying motionless. Lyra shook her head at this behavior, though. Seeing that he wasn’t going to move from there, she clapped her hooves together with a loud shout. The gesture created a shockwave that echoed through the lake and disoriented Pipsqueak, causing him to fall into the choppy water. Lyra sat down on the lake as her student swam to shore. She saw how he stood up again and walked over the crystalline liquid towards her, his mane once again covering one one of his eyes.

“That was mean, Lyra!” Pipsqueak complained angrily.

She didn’t reply to him, but took a deep breath and extended her forelegs again.

“No, no, n-”

Pipsqueak tried to run away, losing his focus and sink into the lake again. Lyra scratched her chin with concern as she got up slowly, walking towards the shrine, followed closely by her student, who was swimming next to her.
“I’ve noticed that I scared you,” Lyra pointed out, looking at the shrine in front of them. “We have to work on that. You should learn to control your fear.”

Pipsqueak didn’t reply until he reached the shore and spat out some water. “And what did you expect me to do?” he replied. “You were going to do that technique again!”

“Then why didn’t you try to stop me?” she asks, to which Pipsqueak opened his mouth, but no words came out. She shook her head and moved on, stopping next to the lake, her back to it. “Fear is a dangerous feeling, but it is necessary. However, you must not let fear blind you. Use it to react instinctively. If you think I’m going to attack or use a technique against you, let the fear tell you to attack or retreat, but never let it take over you.”

“I guess you’re right, but it still blinds me every now and then.” Pipsqueak looked down, defeated.

“Let the feelings flow naturally, the same way you do when aligning your chi with the elements. One more thing: You should never let your guard down.”

Lyra turned around, throwing a punch into Pipsqueak’s stomach. The blow apparently caused no pain, but threw him several feet back. Pipsqueak reacted swiftly, leaning on one of his forelegs and finishing with a back flip, landing perfectly on the lake.

“Nice reflexes, Pipsqueak,” Lyra admitted as she nodded in approval. She walked towards him over the water as she continued her lesson. “However, remember that, even though fast reflexes are important, you won’t be able to use them if you’re caught off-guard. If somepony hits you on the back of the neck and knocks you unconscious, your fast reflexes won’t be able to help you.”

“Yes, I know, Lyra. Sorry for that.”

“No need to apologize, you are still training. However, these sessions are for getting you ready against greater threats.”

“Greater threats? Like what?”

“Like enemies that won’t cower in fear as they witness something like this,” Lyra replied, pointing at herself standing on the lake.

“I see.”

“Most samurais respect monks, but most of them don’t know about our military orders and inner power. The Party monks, as you know them, surged with the fusion of the three previous orders.”

“There were three orders?”

“The Hoof, the Wing and the Horn,” she enumerated with a smile.

“Sounds pretty… specific?”

Lyra chuckled at her student’s confusion. “Yes, you could say that. However, the styles were different, even though they had certain common techniques. It is true, though, the most advanced techniques required having the physical traits from the original order.”

“But everypony has hooves, so everypony should be able to learn the most advanced Hoof techniques.”

“And you would be right,” Lyra confirmed. “However, the Order of the Hoof was founded in Apple Lands.”

“You mean by the Apple Clan?”

“Correct,” Lyra said with a smile. “Bark Hoof, the one who founded the Order, wanted to create a bare-hooved combat style. It would allow Apple soldiers to fight the creatures of the Everfree Forest with the same ferocity and power as with their large weapons. However, most soldiers preferred to fight with their maces, hammers and axes, so the Order wasn’t that popular.”

“So it’s more of an offensive style?”

“Brutal would be a better word, Pipsqueak,” Lyra corrected. “It focused on fighting huge, thick-scaled monsters, so their techniques allowed them to shatter wood, stone and even metal.”

“Just like what you did back then at the shrine?”

“Yes, but that’s a lesser version. Remember that Earth Ponies such as you have a powerful build. Your body is tougher than the one of a pegasus or a unicorn. Those few who mastered the style of the Hoof were able to break steel plates and could stand attacks that would kill a fully-armored soldier.”

“And I will be able to do that?!” Pipsqueak said with enthusiasm.

“I’m sure of it, but you’ll have to ask Pinkie to teach you. She is an Earth Pony after all. I’ve trained a lot through the years, trying to combine the three styles of previous Orders since I became a monk, but I’m still far from achieving it.”

“So the Order of the Hoof was the first monks who appeared and had a purely battle-oriented style. What about the others?”

“The Order of the Wing,” Lyra continued, sitting down on the lake, “was founded among the Wilderness Clan, a few years after the founding of the Hoof’s.”

“Wilderness?” Pipsqueak asked, raising an eyebrow in disbelief. “I cannot picture Fluttershy or any other Wilderness pony doing what we do.”

“Precisely... Fluttershy is a talented Wing monk, but she’s not the kind of pony who shows off or fights most of the time. But she likes the Wing style, as it was focused not on attack, but on defense and forcing the enemy to submit.”

“Didn’t you just say that the previous orders disappeared? Why did you call Fluttershy a Wing monk if the Order is no more?”

“I’ll explain later, my impatient student,” Lyra scolded with a soft snort. “As I was saying, the Order of the Wing was focused on defense and submission in bare-hooved combat, incapacitating the enemy instead of killing him.”

“I expected the Rainbow Clan to come with the idea of founding an order instead of the Wilderness. I mean, Fluttershy seems so peaceful.”

“Don’t underestimate somepony just because they loathe violence,” warned Lyra, her voice tinged with concern. “When the time comes, everypony will fight, and you’d be surprised at how efficient is Fluttershy’s fighting style.”

“Okay, got it,” replied Pipsqueak as he nodded. “What about the Order of the Horn? Somepony among the Jewel Clan maybe?”

“Not at all. It happened a couple of centuries after the other two Orders were founded, and you have to thank the Lore Clan for it.”

“The Lore Clan? What?” Pipsqueak asked surprised. “They are the most powerful summoners around. Why would they need a fighting style?”

“Every clan has summoners, warriors and courtiers, and most of them are focused on assisting on each clan’s specific duty. However, Wilderness and Apple had ponies that, without being spellcasters, were able to perform feats similar to some spells. At first, the Order of the Horn was founded with the sole purpose of understanding how monks could perform such feats. However, they ended up becoming a real monastic order, combining their summoner magic with the techniques of the monks.“

“Wow!” Pipsqueak gasped. “They must have been the most powerful monks of all!”

“Mystically speaking yes, but they were still mostly unicorns,” Lyra replied. “That means they were not physically powerful. Add the fact that they put almost all their efforts on trying to understand how monks could align their soul with the elements in order to perform techniques. They focused on that rather than on the physical training, making them powerful monks concerning techniques, but poor bare-hooved warriors.”

“And what happened? Why did they combine together into one order?” asked Pipsqueak as she leaned forward in an attempt to avoid missing anything.

Lyra smiled at him before answering. “The three Orders had the same purpose: serving the Empire. It is true that every one of them had a different way to try to achieve it, and they decided to join forces together. The Orders of the Hoof, Wing and Horn combined into a single order and joined the Party Clan, becoming what it’s now known as the Party monks.”

“Why the Party Clan?”

“Well, that’s a good question,” admitted Lyra. “The Party Clan was not powerful military speaking. We only had the bladedancers, and even those weren’t that common, so the monks decided that they should contribute by joining forces with us.”

“I see,” replied Pipsqueak. “Wow, that was an amazing story!”

“And as I can see, your concentration has improved, my young student. You haven’t sunk during the whole conversation.”

“Hey, you’re right!” Pipsqueak cried happily as he got up.

“See? If this becomes instinctive and natural, you won’t need to focus entirely on techniques as simple as this one. You would be able to walk over water or in mid-air while fighting, or even using other techniques.” She smiled as she got up with a small jump, landing on her hind legs. “You’ve made important progress, Pipsqueak. Once you master this, there are only a few more basic techniques to train in. Then, you can move on to the more advanced training.”

Pipsqueak bowed to his master and she bowed back, both noticing from the corner of the eye that there was somepony watching them from the shore.

“Hey, I think that’s Dinky!” Pipsqueak pointed with a smile before galloping over the water.
Lyra followed him, walking slowly in order to get just at the right distance to overhear the conversation but not enough to be noticed or interrupt.

A young gray-skyblue unicorn with a short, golden mane and tail had her mouth wide open in awe as Pipsqueak got close to her.

“Hello, Dinky!” greeted Pipsqueak with a smile. “We didn’t expect visitors of any kind. What a surprise!”

“Are you…” she replied after a few seconds of silence, pointing at the lake where he was standing.

“What? Oh, this!” Pipsqueak laughed for a moment. “True, you haven’t seen any of my training sessions. Let me tell you, this is one of the least impressive things I’ve learnt.” He walked off of the lake, standing next to Dinky, who still didn’t appear to believe what had happened. “Sorry for shocking you.”

“Can… can all monks to that?” Dinky asked, wowed at what Pipsqueak was doing.

“Well, apparently yes, but it requires really hard training and discipline, aligning our soul with the elements and a lot of things that are too long and boring for me to explain. Besides, I’m sure you can do that too.”

“But I’m a summoner, I’m supposed to…” Dinky let out a short sigh. “Never mind, I didn’t come here to argue about who can do what. In fact, I came here to tell you that my mom wants to invite you to dinner.”

“Me? Why?” Pipsqueak asked, raising an eyebrow.

“She knows about it, dear.”

“Y-you told her?”

“I didn’t tell her, Pip. She’s the spymaster of the Rainbow Clan. If I have a coltfriend, she’ll find out.”

“And what do I do?”

“Well, I’m sure Mom will appreciate your attendance. She knows that we’re a couple and that you’re a nice pony, but not how it started. We could talk about that. She’ll love hearing all about it.”

“I don’t know, what if I botch it?”

“Don’t be silly, Pip! It’s just dinner with my mom. You just have to eat and answer her questions. Not at the same time, please,” she joked with a soft giggle.

“I know that!” he replied before laughing with his fillyfriend.

“I’ll see you at my mom’s house, then.”

“But she lives in Cloudsdale, doesn’t she? I mean, she’s a Rainbow scout.”

“Yes, but we don’t live there anymore. We have a house in Lore lands, and that’s our residence since I was born. After being spotted by a Lore summoner talking with some void spirits, I began my training with Twilight. Because of this, my mom was able to get a house next to the castle, and Twilight and her had become close friends since then.”

“Wow, that’s awesome!” Pipsqueak replied with a smile. “Oh, about that, how’s your training been?“

”Twilight says I’m ready for the gempukku, so I shouldn’t have problems. How about you?”

“Well,” Pipsqueak started, scratching his neck, “I think I can pass without many difficulties, though Lyra told me to use techniques wisely during the gempukku.”

“Yeah, Twilight said the same about spells, but she also told me that it’s really hard to fail the test if we’re prepared as our masters state.” She stopped to look up to the sky and how the sun was already on the top, indicating that it was midday. “I’ll go get everything ready for the dinner. We’ll talk tonight, okay?”

“Okay, I’ll see you there!”

Dinky leaned close to Pipsqueak and gave him a tender kiss on the cheek before trotting away.

“I’ll pick you up at the Lore castle’s garden in five hours!” shouted Dinky. “Don’t be late!”

-o-

Trixie could see the Diamond Bulwark from her position. If what she had read months ago at the Lore library was true, she would be able to get the food crates she needed. For what she recalled, there were supplies inside the wall’s warehouses to sustain everypony there for more than a year, which meant that there should be more than enough to fulfill her part of the deal. As soon as Trixie could handle the food, she would be able to retrieve her heart from Zecora.

However, a thought rushed to Trixie’s mind as she approached to the wall. Until she could find a safe place for it, Zecora’s hut was the best one for now, as she wouldn’t try anything dangerous with it. Mainly because it wouldn’t benefit her, but also because Trixie would turn into her most feared enemy if Zecora ever tried to blackmail her. Though it was true that nopony in Equestria knew that she had allowed such a ritual to be performed on herself, she wouldn’t take risks.

After considering it for some time, she had decided that she’ll not only get the food, but also test her new powers and immortality against those who had banished her, who forced her to become what she was now.

She slowly got up, standing on her hind legs, hugging herself. Closing her eyes tightly and gritting her teeth, she tore into her shoulders, letting out a painful grunt. When blood had covered her claws, she plunged them inside the moist ground as she chanted blasphemous verses of power. A few minutes passed after the ritual was completed before something struggled to claw out of the ground. After a while, a small, colorful creature with wings sprouted from the ground, almost instantly followed by dozens, hundreds of them.

“Yes, yes, the summoning spell works!” Trixie cried as she pushed her forelegs deeper into the ground. “The swarm of parasprites should give Trixie the food crates she needs.”

She waited patiently as the creatures kept coming out, flying around her. When the land stood still for a moment, she pulled her forelegs of the ground and pointed at the Diamond Bulwark.

“Now, go, minions!” Trixie commanded, cackling diabolically. “Bring Trixie their supplies!”

The cloud of parasprites flew towards the wall, followed closely by Trixie.

-o-

Big Macintosh and Twilight were walking together on top the wall, checking to ensure everything was in order. Even though it was the closest thing to a romantic date they’d get, they still had duties to fulfill. They checked most of the wall sections that protected the Apple and Wilderness lands, from the barracks to the siege engines. Armies of ponies following the lookout and patrol routes with astonishing accuracy, going through training that would exhaust any Lore bodyguard.

Spike followed a few feet behind them, fulfilling his duties as bodyguard, but keeping the distance as much as he could or looking somewhere else instead of at them. Not a hard thing to do when every now and then soldiers at the wall would salute him and give him their regards. The Apple Clan held him in high esteem, even going as far to ask him to patrol the wall for a season or two.

The three reached a large tower with a staircase that went down deep inside the wall. Big Macintosh stopped and turned to both guests.

“Ah’d like to see how Apple Bloom is doing, wanna come?” he offered cordially.

“Oh, yes, please,” replied Twilight with a smile. “I hope she’s in a better mood that the last time I saw her.”

“She’s fine,” assured Big Macintosh, making a sign with his hoof for them to follow him. “Let’s go and visit her.”

The sound of their steps echoed through the stone staircase as they descended into the bowels of the Diamond Bulwark. As they went down, voices invaded their ears, but one of them was recognizable for all of them.

Twilight breathed in relief as the joyful sound of Apple Bloom’s cheers and clapping resounded over the other voices, followed by more clapping from different ponies. They finally got to the hall were the noise was coming from to see Apple Bloom and another pony sitting in front of each other. They looked like they were playing a board game, and by the crowd gathered around them, it seemed like an interesting one.

“How’s it going?” Big Macintosh greeted.

The group scrambled up in surprise and saluted hastily. “General Macintosh!”

“Brother!”Apple Bloom cheered as she galloped towards her brother and jumped to hug him. “How have ya been?” She looked at Twilight and Spike, smiling as she bowed towards them. “Lady Twilight, Lord Spike.”

“No ‘Lord’, please,” corrected Spike. “I’m just a bodyguard. Just ‘Spike’ would do.”

“I’m glad to see you in a much better mood, Apple Bloom,” confessed Twilight with a nod. She looked over Apple Bloom’s shoulder and recognized the board of Go on the table. “I can see you were playing a game.”

“Oh, yes!” said Apple Bloom as she returned to her place. “It’s a really interesting game, and Ah’ve learned a lot of tactics and planning thanks to it.”

“She‘s a good player, General Macintosh,” admitted the pony in front of her. “You’ve taught her well, she’s an excellent strategist. I’m sure she’ll become a worthy leader some day.”

The other ponies looked at each other, approving the pony’s statement.

“Wow, Apple Bloom. I’m impressed,” said Twilight. “How did you learn to play Go so well?”

“Mah brother taught me,” answered Apple Bloom. “When he was off duty, he played with me a lot, teaching me strategy. He tried to teach Applejack too, but she always said that it as a waste of time and that we should be training at the barracks.”

“Well, they have different perspectives, but that doesn’t mean one of you is right or wrong,” pointed out Twilight.

“To arms!” a voice cried suddenly from up the stairs. “We’re under attack!”

Spike rushed upstairs as fast as his legs allowed him, followed closely by Twilight, Big Macintosh and Apple Bloom. The rest of the soldiers followed closely behind. When the group got to the ramparts, they spotted the threat the guard was pointing at. A gargantuan cloud of tiny creatures flew towards them, twisting in chaotic pattern. Spotting the threat, Spike stood in front of Twilight, wielding his spear ready to protect her.

“Parasprites?” said Big Macintosh, scratching his head in disbelief. “They don’t usually appear in this season.”

“Why are they here then?” asked Spike without looking back.

“I remember that there was a spell that could summon...” Twilight’s mouth shut, drawing an expression of pure horror. Rushing towards the wall, she looked down desperately looking for something there. A blue figure walked under the cloud, making her freeze in place. “Oh, no, no, no... Please, tell me this is not happening!”

“Trixie!” grunted Spike as he looked down, confirming Twilight’s fears. His face became twisted with a horrified glare as he could suddenly see her more clearly. “What in the name of Celestia happened to her!?”

“Tell the summoners to prepare a deflection spells!” commanded Big Macintosh. “We have to repel the swarm before they devour our supplies!”

“Yes, General!” the soldiers replied.

“Brother!” Applejack cried as she galloped towards then, dodging ponies everywhere. She had a battalion of unicorns behind her. “Ah’ve seen the cloud and have brought the summoners to your position!”

“Good! Get yourselves ready!” ordered Big Macintosh.

“Hey, where’s Trixie?” Spike asked as he tried to spot her.

When he walked back to return next to Twilight, a pillar of blue flames emerged behind him, making him jump away. The fire column twisted and one of the ends collided against the wall where the ponies were located.

Everypony watched in horror as the flames began to form the shape of a deformed unicorn. A blast of cyan light forced them to close their eyes. When they opened them again, they saw walls of blue fire forming a ring that trapped Twilight and Spike inside with Trixie, cackling maniacally with her blank eyes and sharp fangs.

“Greetings, fillies and gentlecolts!” Trixie said cheerfully as she stepped forward, making most of the ponies step back. “Don’t mind if Trixie gets a couple of food crates for herself.” She threw a glance at Twilight Sparkle, drawing a wide, sickening smile. “Well, well, well, look who we have here! Twilight Sparkle, the Lore Clan leader! I have been looking forward to meeting you again.”

“Stay away from her, monster!” roared Spike as he jumped in front of Twilight, brandishing his spear. “You won’t lay a hoof on her!”

“Brave words, bodyguard. But if you really think that the Great and Powerful Trixie fears a simple warrior, you are very wrong.”

“Well, if I’m not mistaken, you ran away because of a dragon like me,” mocked Spike.

“Shut up!” roared Trixie, enraged as she charged towards him.

Spike was able to repel her with ease, hitting her with the shaft and knocking her back. Trixie got back up with a furious look on her face. This time, Spike was the one who charged, trying to stab her, but she dodged him by a few inches, giving her the perfect position from which she could claw him in the leg.

Spike grunted in pain, leaning on his spear as he felt the wound with his free claw.

With the component ready, she laughed as she stood on her hind legs and cried a few words of power, pointing at Spike. When Trixie spoke the last word, a green cloud engulfed Spike’s weapon. In a matter of seconds, the spear’s shaft began to rust and rot, breaking into pieces.

“Let’s see what a warrior can do without his faithful spear,” joked Trixie as she looked up in the sky, smiling widely. “But we’ll have to find that out later, Trixie has things to do and her minions have accomplished their duty!”

“What are you-” Spike grunted, looking back to see how the swarm of parasprites were flying away with a few large crates of supplies.

“Get them!” ordered Applejack. “Don’t let them escape!”

“You…” Spike turned back to Trixie, gritting his teeth and clenching the pieces of his spear. He opened his claws and saw that the pieces he held were the ones that had the inscriptions ‘Spike’ and ‘Inquisitor’. “You destroyed my spear! You’re not going away from here alive!”

“Trixie is not interested in your whining, bodyguard,” she spat as she looked to her side, where Twilight was located. “Now, you, on the other hoof-”

“I’m not finished!” yelled Spike as he hit Trixie on the ribs with his knee, the blow throwing her back. “I told you, you’re not going to lay a hoof on Twilight, and you’ll pay for destroying my spear!”

“As you wish,” Trixie grunted with a smirk. “Trixie was going to be merciful and let you live, but it looks like you decline Trixie’s generosity. In that case, you shall stand as proof for what Equestria will suffer!”

Trixie got up with a loud cry, blood and smoke flying around her as she chanted verses of death and revenge. The crimson beam was projected towards Spike.

No!” Twilight screamed as she ran towards Spike but was stopped by Big Macintosh.

“Forgive me, Twilight,” begged Spike as he put her claw on his sword’s hilt, unsheathing it.

With a flash of light, the sword deflected the spell, colliding with a tree down at the forest, which burst into flames. Spike took an offensive stance as the blade shone with runes of power, making Trixie step back.

“Wisdom!” gasped Big Macintosh.

Spike nodded weakly as he got ready to charge Trixie, clenching the sword with both claws.

“So, you need the Ancestral Sword of the Lore to match The Great and Powerful Trixie.” With a cackle and a flattered tone, Trixie wouldn’t lose her confident smile. “It’s an honor for Trixie to see that you decide to use one of the swords that the Fortune of Steel created at the Celestial Forge. But even that won’t stop me!” She turned around, staring at Twilight and Applejack. “Clan leaders! The Great and Powerful Trixie challenge the six of you to a fight, all of you together against Trixie. If anypony refuses to attend, I’ll send an army that not even your wall shall stand! Tonight, at the entrance of the forest. No tricks. If you try anything, Trixie will know and the punishment won’t be pretty!”

With that being said, Trixie exploded in a blast of blue fire that flew away, disappearing into the distance, but her horrible laughs echoed through the wall section.

Nopony was able to move because of the shock, save for Spike, who sheathed the Ancestral Sword and picked up his spear’s head from the ground. He looked back, his eyes meeting Twilight’s, and his face was an amalgam of shame and sorrow.

“I’m sorry, Twilight, I had to do it,” he said, clenching the sword’s hilt.

“No need to apologize, Inquisitor,” comforted Big Macintosh. “The Ancestral Swords were forged to be used. Ahm glad to see that at least one of them is being used.”

“Please, Spike,” pleaded Twilight with a comforting smile. “You’ve saved us. Besides, you’re the sword bearer, you have the right to use it. Why don’t you do?”

“I… I know that Apple soldiers don’t use their katanas because they don’t want to taint them when fighting the creatures of the Everfree Forest,” said Spike sullenly, to which the three Apple siblings nodded. “I thought that Wisdom was a weapon that should only be unsheathed in the most honorable battlefields. If I did otherwise, it’ll feel like I’m disrespecting the Fortune that forged it. Besides, I’ve always used spears to fight, and this one…” Spike caressed the spear’s crystal head with his thumb. “This one is special to me.”

“Don’t worry, Spike, you can use Wisdom to fight our enemies,” invited Twilight. “Its magical properties would be useful.”

“So, are you going to accept the challenge?” asked Apple Bloom, worried.

“You bet we are, sis!” replied Applejack. “Ah wanna shut that mare’s mouth with mah hammer!”

“Ah’ll send messengers to tha otha clan leaders,” informed Big Macintosh as he moved away towards the barracks.

“I’d love to go with you, Twilight,” confessed Spike with a grunt as he looked at the Everfree Forest. “Give her a good beating for me!”

“I’ll try, Spike, but I’m sure this is going to be a challenge,” admitted Twilight as he looked at the Forest. Maybe more than even I can handle, she thought as Trixie’s laugh still thundered in her head.