• Published 26th Feb 2012
  • 6,860 Views, 321 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Reality Break - Fullmetal Pony



Reality becomes stranger than fiction when a man finds out TCB is all too real

  • ...
40
 321
 6,860

Saga 1: Part 5: Brought to You by the Letter Q

Jen loved the view she got whenever she explored the outback. Her weekend explorations into Australia's wild lands always gave her a great amount of joy. She never ventured too far her home in the Brisbane suburb, but it was still nice to get out of the city.

Right now, she was exploring a ridge that gave her a perfect view of the city. It was breathtaking to be able to see the vast metropolitan expanse and the sea beyond it.

“Wow,” she breathed in the fall air. Jen thought fall was always the best time to go hiking: it was too hot in the summer and she never liked wearing additional clothes in the winter. Spring was nice, but it was a long ways away. That just left fall to go hiking; plus, seeing nature getting ready for winter was always neat.

She particularly liked the recent hikes she went on, since they were the first times she ever got to go on hikes alone. She liked going on hikes with her parents, but she was a senior now and she wanted some individuality.

Mom and dad worry way too much. What are they gonna do when I go to college? She thought as she climbed up to a higher point along the ridge. She liked how the rough rock felt on her hands. As she climbed she thought about the fuss her parents had made today about climbing.

~~~

“We’re just worried about the weather,” her mother had explained.

“Mom,” Jen retorted, “I’ve climbed that bloody trail with you who knows how many times! I’ll be fine!”

“You’ll be going nowhere if you talk to your mother and me like that,” her father responded.

“Sorry dad, but I’ve had a long week.” Jen had pulled out her trump card: she’d had to take three tests and write two papers in the past week. She’d gotten good grades on all of them. “I deserve a victory hike!”

“We know you do,” her mother was trying to placate her, “but with all those storms from the Pacific lately, we’re just a little concerned.”

“We’ve done hikes in the rain before.”

“We have,” her father said, “you haven’t, not alone at least.”

“Well maybe it’s time I did it alone!” Jen was getting mad now.

“Ok, fine, you’ve earned it, just keep your phone on ya ok?” her mother nervously asked.

“Fine,” Jen had tried to hide her victorious smile as best she could. She always loved it when she outmaneuvered her parents.

~~~

“Darn!” A few raindrops fell on Jen’s face. The sky had been a little overcast when she’d set out in the morning, but now it was quickly getting darker. Please don’t rain ‘till I’m at the top!

She climbed a little faster now, but still kept the same meticulousness. No matter what, rushing was easily the quickest way to get hurt. She wouldn’t let her parents have the victory of seeing her in a hospital.

The rain didn’t lighten up. It had made the rock slick and muddy. By the time Jen made it to the top of the ridge her clothes were completely soaked. “*Huff* Hell *huff* this would happen today, wouldn’t it?” She sprawled herself on top of the ridge and let the rain fall on her.

Then she noticed that the clouds were pink. She sat up immediately and looked at them. “Aw crud!” She reached for her canteen and chugged the water, “musta dehydrated myse-” as she talked a raindrop fell into her mouth. Only it was sweet and chocolaty? She cupped her palms and let rain collect in them. Only the rain was thick and brown, just like...

“Maybe mom and dad were right about me not going out today... I think I’ve been watching too many cartoons.” I’m definitely dehydrated to be seeing this.

Jen watched MLP with a few of her mates. She thought it was kinda ironic that they were watching a show about friendship, yet they were all about to go their separate ways in college. But it was a fun show and a nice balance to all the exploration she normally did. Her friends couldn’t keep up with her hikes, so she’d decided to join them in their activities instead.

At first she thought it was weird that her male mates had been the first to watch the show. But stranger things had happened (like seeing Hugh Jackman as some rough superhero). She quickly found that she enjoyed the show as well, especially the antics of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. She related to how they were trying to find their place in the world. In many respects, Jen was about to embark on a similar adventure: college would be her first true step into the world.

But right now, she wasn’t really that concerned about college. She was more worried about how she needed more water and help. If stuff was acting like Discord was on the loose, then she clearly needed to get some medical attention. “Ok,” she breathed and tried to steady her breathe, “remember the rules.” Rule one: stay calm, rule two: get help.

She pulled out her cellphone and thanked god that it still had a signal, a weak one, but a signal none-the-less. She shakily pounded in the numbers for her home’s phone. For a few seconds there was a ringing and then her mother picked up.

“Hello?” her mother’s voice was nervous.

“Mom, it’s Jen I-”

“Jen, oh my lord! You need to get back right now!”

“Why, what’s wrong?”

“Everything! There’s chocolate milk coming down like rain, the streets have turned to rubber, the bloody dog is walking on the ceiling! Honey please get back home, you’re not safe outsi-” Jen’s phone had turned into a pot of petunias.

“Jesus Christ!” The pot fell to the ground and turned into water as it crashed. “Oh god, I need to get home!” She rushed over and was just about to climb down the rock when the ground below her bent beneath her weight. What had once been solid rock was now jello. “Jesus! God! Someone!” Jen yelled out as she tried to keep her balance “Help!”

Now she was falling. She looked up and the pink clouds and wondered just what had gone wrong. Then she hit the rocks below, unfortunately, they were still solid. It wasn’t even the impact that hurt, it was all the broken bones it caused. She could feel her ribs puncturing her left lung. It was getting harder to breath. “Mom, Dad,” Jen cried, “I’m sorry...I’m so...” the chocolate rain around her stopped. Her canteen righted itself and flashed white. A piece of parchment appeared by it as well. It unfolded itself and zoomed in front of Jen:

Young One,
Find it in your heart to forgive us. This was an unfortunate step towards saving both our worlds. If we had realized it would cost you so much, we would have tried to be more careful. But time is running out on us. Therefore, we offer you a chance to have your way with us later. The contents in front of you should save you. If you choose to drink, it’s your choice whether to convert others or not. We won’t take that choice away from you. We are sorry.
By Royal Decree of Princess Celestia, Monarch of Equestria

“I’ve lost it,” Jen sobbed. “Oh mom, why didn’t I listen to you and dad?” She brought the canteen closer, her breathing was getting more labored. “If I see you again, please forgive me.” She swallowed whatever was now in her canteen and then fell into the realm of sleep.

~~~

The pain was gone. Jen’s body didn’t hurt anymore. She looked around and wasn’t even sure if she had a body. “Damn, I’m dead.

No child,” came a voice from the sky, “not yet.” It’s source was a multi-hued sphere.

“Celestia?” Must have cracked my skull too.

Yes child, I am here and I am sorry.” The voice was filled with sorrow.

Sister,” Luna’s voice emanated from a moon-like sphere, “we knew this would happen, we had to do it.

I know but,” Jen felt a gaze upon her, “to convert a seed this way, how are we any better than the force we wish to stop?

“It’ll be fine sister, this is just an initial step, it was the same last time I came here.

It was not this bad.” Celestia’s sphere darkened.

It is not your fault, it is the lack of magic. It makes their world and our’s opposites. It will get better.”
“I hope,” Celestia turned her gaze back to Jen now, “Child, can you forgive us?
Did you cause all that stuff?”
We did not mean to, but we caused it none-the-less.”
“Why?”
“To save both our worlds,” Luna replied.
“Save?! I fell from a mound a jello!”
“We know child, we know all too well,” Luna’s voice was heavy and somber, “it will hopefully stabilize... but we will require your assistance.”
“Why me?”
“Because,” Celestia responded this time, “the more magic there is, the easier it’ll be for Equestria to enter your realm.”
“This is too much... I thought this was all just a show!”
“I’m afraid it is not child. Now both Earth and Equestria stand on the brink of collapse, will you aid us?”
I’m dead, I’m definitely dead... eighteen and I didn’t even know what I was doing with my li- “Will I get a cutie mark?” What an odd after-life this’ll be.
“An odd question to ask child, but if your heart desires to find its talent. You will find it.”
“I...I’ll do it.”
“Good, now what you must remember when you awaken is to only give others three ounces of the potion, any more is a waste and any less is dangerous. We’re working to send assistance, but please try and find the ot- ”

~~~

The sun’s light was bothering Jen. It’d been overcast all day, so the sudden burst of sunlight stung her eyes. “Ugh, what happened?” She was on the ground where she had fallen. “That’s right!” She looked around and saw that the sky was normal now. “Phew, must have just gotten dehydrated and fallen, probably hit my he- HOLY CRAP!” Next to her was a puddle of chocolate milk. The puddle reflected back a tan unicorn with orange hair. “What..but I...” Jen’s brain went on the fritz looking at the reflection. She felt a jolt in her head and then saw that the loose rocks around her were floating. They were covered in an aura the same color as her coat.

“Oh Lord, that wasn’t a dream, I’m a pony... oh god, what’ll mom and dad think. They’ll never let me leave the house aga-” She remembered her mother’s hectic phone call. “Oh no! I...I need to get home!” She looked at the ridge she could have easily climbed down as a human. It was now an impossible feat for a unicorn. “Damn it!” She yelled as the feeling in her horn grew. “Why couldn’t I have wings or something!? I just want to go home!!”

She crashed back onto her kitchen’s table.

“What the hell?!” her dad jumped up in surprise. He’d been on the phone with someone.

“Dad!” Jen cried out, “Oh thank god you’re ok, where’s mom?”

“Je-Jenifer?! Is that you?”

“Of course it-” I she tried to walk over and calm her father, but she fell down. She wasn’t used to hooves yet. “Oh right, um, yeah I know this is strange, but it’s still me.” Fear was etched over her father’s face. “I...I’ll prove it! You took me to see The Boy from Oz with Hugh Jackman in ‘06 remember? For my birthday?”

“I...” her father’s face softened, then he dropped to the floor and hugged her, “oh Jenifer, what happened?”

“I don’t know!” She cried, “It started raining, I tried calling you, and then I got scared and tried to get back home. But I fell and there was this dri-” Jen stopped and looked over at the table she had fallen on. Her canteen was there.

“Jenifer, what is that?” Her father had noticed her look.

“I think it’s what did this to me,” She looked at her hooves again.

“Well let’s get rid of it, I’m not letting anyone else turn into this!” He stormed over and picked up the canteen. He was about to chuck it when Jen cried out.

“Wait!”

“What?!”

“Dad, I...I think there’s more to it than just that... you might want to sit down.” Jen’s dad sat down in one of the kitchen’s chairs. He still kept a firm grasp on the canteen though. “Ok,” she tried walking while she explained, but she kept stumbling, “ugh, this might take some getting used to.” She decided to sit instead, but that proved to be its own challenge as her body was used to siting like a human not a pony. She eventually just laid on her stomach. “Guh, this is so hard to get comfortable! Ok! Anyway, you remember that show me and my mates would watch, the one with the colorful ponies?”

“Yeah but...” it took a second for her father to make the connection, “good lord! Is that what you are now?”

“I...I think...” Why did it hurt so much for dad to say that? “See when I fell, after I drank that stuff, I met the monarchs from the show. Something is happening, something that forced them to cause that storm earlier.”

“They caused it?! They did this to you?!” There was anger in her dad’s voice now.

“I don’t think they meant to, they sounded really sorry and... I think it’s much bigger than just that storm.”

“So let me get this straight, these monarchs,”

“Celestia and Luna.”

“Ok, Celestia and Luna, caused whatever the hell that was a bit ago, then they saved you but had to turn you into this,” he gestured at her, “but you got to talk to them when you drank it?” He twirled the canteen around.

“Yeah but...” she noticed her father twirling the canteen “Dad! I know what you’re thinking, but I...I don’t know.” They said get others to drink, but dad... oh he’s always been head strong about me. “Only drink three ounces.”

“Fine,” he went over the cupboard and pulled out a three ounce shot glass. “You stay here sweetie. Your mom was actually driving out to get you, so it’ll be a bit before she’s back. I’m gonna give my mind to these monarchs!” He poured himself a shot of the potion and downed it instantly. “Can’t even give you a good flavored dr...” Jen stopped him from falling mid-air. She had somehow encased him in a tan aura. She set him down just as he turned pure white.

“Oh dad, why’d you have to be so protective,” Jen cried, she didn’t know what else to do. In just two hours her entire world had been flipped on its head. She looked away as her dad’s form began to writhe and squirm. “Oh Jesus, that’s what I must have looked like.” Jen walked into the living room and tried to make sense of everything.

“I have to be dead, maybe god just wants to test me... yeah, I couldn’t figure out what I was good in at life, so now I gotta get a cutie mark. Hmm,” She moved her left forehoof up and looked at it. “Heh, bet the mates would get a laugh out of this.” She trotted around a little and tried to get used to her new legs. “Ok, so just four legs instead of two, that’s not too bad. Now what about...” she looked up at her horn, with her eyes she could just see the tip of it. “I got here, just like Twilight did in the show and I was even able to set dad down... but what now?”

She looked around the living room and spotted a cup, probably her mother’s on the coffee table. “Maybe if I...” she focused on the cup and just wanted it to go up. It zoomed upwards and smashed into the ceiling and showered her and the room with tea. “Ok, um, maybe dad’ll be a unicorn too, maybe he’ll know how to do stuff better... oh, who am I kidding nopony kno- eep!” What am I saying? I’m a human girl, not a unicorn... I think. Just as she was thinking this she heard a mumbling from back in the kitchen. She slowly trotted back in. “Dad?”

“Oh Jenifer, good you’re still here. Woah nelly, I think we may have one the lottery for weirdest apocalypse yet.” His coat was about the same color as hers, but his hair was black. He didn’t have a horn or wings. He still had his stubble though, as a child Jen had thought it felt funny.

“Dad, you’re an Earth Pony.” It was incredibly surreal for Jen. The pony had her dad’s voice and mannerisms but he... he was a pony. Was that what dad thought when he saw me?

“Earth Pony, huh? Well from the sound of it, that makes sense. Princesses said pegasi get wings and unicorns like you get horns, this-oof!” he stumbled, “is weird enough as it is.”

“You... you’re ok with this?”

“Sweety, you’re me daughter, I couldn’t let you go through this alone... your mother’s probably gonna beat me worse than when Broncos lost the Eagles last year.” Jen’s dad was originally from Brookvale so he was a Sea Eagles rugby fan, while Jen’s mother was a originally from Brisbane so she was a true Broncos fan.

Jen laughed a little, “Yeah, mom wasn’t happy.”

“There, I got ya to smile a little,” her father smiled back, “everything’ll be fine. But...” his tone grew more serious, “Jenifer, you have been given a really big responsibility. You and the others have got to get together ok?”

“Others?”

“The princesses said there should be six of ya, she’s gonna try and send some help and get ya organized.”

“But why?”

“Well,” her father took in a deep breath, “apparently some bad stuff’s been stirring up in the universe, you ‘seed’ have got to stop it.”

“But...but dad, we’re just people.”

“Wrong we’re ponies... Christ, that is weird to say.” He brought a hoof to his muzzle and rubbed his stubble. “Huh, still got my beard.”

“What about mom?”

“Hmm, we should probably call her and get her to stop worrying.” he trotted and with a few stumbles made it over to the desk. He looked over at his legs, “These are gonna be a pain, aren’t they?”

“It doesn’t take too long to get use to them.” Jen trotted over to her father.

“Show-off,” he teased. Then he reached for the phone with his hoof, only to stop at the dial pad, “oh bloody hell, I don’t have hands anymore.” He looked over at Jen, “Wait I got it, Jenifer, bend your head down.”

“Why?” she said as she complied.

“Cause you at least have something pointy on your head now. So just follow my instructions.” Jen realized her horn had now become a faux finger, but she still listened. “Thank god, I put your mom’s phone on speed dial.” By now the phone was ringing.

“Glenn? Is that you? Did you get a hold of the emergency people?”

“Linda, it’s ok, Jenifer is back at the house now.”

“She is? Oh thank heavens, I was so-”

“But she’s a unicorn now.”

“Dad,” Jen interrupted, “isn’t that a bit, um, blunt?”

Her mother’s response seemed apropriate, “What-what-what?! Glenn now is not the time to be drinking. Jen, tell your father to get off the line.”

“Mom, it...it’s true, oh and dad’s also a pony now...” I really need to make a list of things I never thought I’d say.

“He slipped you some stuff too, didn’t he? Glenn, you better be prepared to deal with the consequences of this!”

“Honey I...” The line cut off. “Oh bugger,” he turned over to Jen, “is it odd that your mother terrifies me more than the end of the world?”

Jen thought back to the time she got her ears pierced without her mother’s permission, “Not at all.”

“Well, come on, we’ve got some work to do.”

“Aren’t we going to wait for mom?”

“Oh, it’s here at the house,” he trotted over to his study room. The door was closed and there was a loud barking in the room.

“The dog?”

“Yeah, the princesses said us just being around stuff helps make the process easier and well...” He lightly pushed the door open. As soon as they entered the room the dog fell from the ceiling. He quickly got up and licked Jen right on the face.

“Ugh, jeez Zeus, guess you still recognize me.”

A dog, a unicorn, and and Earth Pony... yep it was a chaotic day in Australia.